Unexpected Truce by mandancie
Summary: Harry finds help in the most unlikely of places. Severus mentors Harry story. It begins the summer after the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Please take the time to read and review. :)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Evil!Albus
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 68 Completed: No Word count: 164150 Read: 283322 Published: 01 Feb 2015 Updated: 21 Jun 2017
Chapter 56: Brothers in Arms by mandancie

Minerva was sitting in her chambers reading a book when there was a tapping on her window. Looking up, she saw there was a barn owl just outside. Opening the window, she relieved the owl of its burden and the owl flew out where it came.

After having most of the Weasley children in her care since Bill first walked through the Great Hall, she had kept a steady correspondence with Molly and Arthur Weasley. The missives seemed to have doubled when the twins graced the halls of Hogwarts. She cared for them all equally and knew that even though they were a poor family, their poverty was only monetary, not in love.

Minerva opened up the letter and read its contents.

Good Afternoon Minerva, I hope that this finds your summer quiet and peaceful now that the twins are home.

Minerva couldn't help the chuckle at that. Fred and George seemed to always end the school year with some kind of bang and this year was no different. Though this year was a little subdued since they were worried about Ron and him going to the third floor.

I am writing you to inform you of what has just come to my attention. Before Ronald got his Hogwarts letter, I had walked in on Fred, George, and Ron in the mist of doing an Unbreakable vow. I don't remember what the Vow was suppose to be and that I really didn't care. Rest assured that they did not complete the vow as I stopped George, who was the caster, and Fred from taking advantage of the situation. The twins, needless to say, have been punished for what they were about to cause Ron to do. Things went back to normal. Well, normal for our family. Today, a side effect surfaced for the reason for this missive. I stopped the boys from completing the Unbreakable Vow, but since I wasn't there at the beginning of the vow, the bonding became stronger between those three. As you know, Fred and George already have a deep twin bond that no one can completely understand, but them being twins, they are able to finish each others' sentences. Now after the attempted vow making, the brother bond has now grown and added Ronald into the fold. We love our boys equally. But this bonding between the twins and Ron and brought them from being just brothers to it almost if they were triplets.

The reason I am divulging this is because Ron will need to have a little leeway. He will need to see his brothers a little more than, for instance, Percy, and vice versa. Their bonding is just almost a Parental bonding, but not close, meaning Ron will still have Molly and me to answer to if he does something that warrants punishment, but he will have his brothers to answer to if they so choose.

Again, I hope this finds you well. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Arthur Weasley

_000_0000_0000_0000

Minerva walked into her office and sat down behind her desk. She saw George walk in, followed by Ron and Fred.

"Sit down, gentlemen," Minerva said.

There were only two chairs opposite Minerva's desk. She saw George sit down in one, but the other would prove a problem as Ron had yet to release his brother. Minerva smirked as she waved her wand at the other chair and the chair enlarged enough for both Fred and Ron could sit comfortably.

Minerva looked across her desk at the younger Weasley boys. She had had George and Fred in her office at least once since they had been coming to Hogwarts, and in those past seven years, never once did she ever see them look like that. George was looking down at his hands and Fred was looking at George with his arm wrapped around his younger brother, tightly.

"Gentlemen," Minerva began. "Please look at me."

George slowly looked up at Minerva. It took a little longer for Fred to take his eyes off of his twin, as if he was afraid that if he did, he would not be there.

"Now," Minerva said, when she had both of their attention. "I would like to assure you two that you are not in trouble." For once, she thought but didn't say. "When I mentioned Umbridge's detentions, I saw Ron's face."

Minerva saw Fred's arm tighten a little more. Ron, while sitting next to Fred with his head on Fred's shoulder, had not looked up or said anything.

"And just a moment ago, while we were in the Common Room, I saw your hand, George," Minerva continued. "Did you have detention with her?"

Fred looked over at George. He looked as if he was trying to gather courage.

"Yes ma'am," George said, his voice just as strong.

"Let me see your hand."

George looked down at his bandaged hand. Fred had applied Essence of Murlap the night it happened, but for some reason it wasn't working like it should. Slowly, he removed the bandage. Once the bandage was off, George put his hand on the desk. Minerva looked at his hand and her brow creased. As quickly as she could, she went to the fireplace, putting a small pinch of powder in the flames.

"Derek," she called out.

"Yes, Minerva," Derek said, as his head came through the flames.

"Has there been any incidents with other houses?"

"No, thank Merlin," Derek sighed. "Just waiting on you."

Minerva closed her eyes and the looked back at the flames. "I'm coming down with a student."
"There was another one?" Derek sounded scandalous. "Who?"

"George Weasley," Minerva said. "Has Severus gotten to you with the salve?"

"Not yet, but he told me that it's almost finished. He went to talk to his Slytherins in the middle of making the salve."

"Well, step back," Minerva said. "I would rather have us come through the floo instead of walking the halls."

"Come when you're ready," Derek said and his head disappeared from the flames.

Minerva turned to George and put her hand on his shoulder.

"Come on," she said. "Let's get your hand looked at."

George stood up, but never made it pass the chairs.

"NO!"

Ron got out of Fred's tight grip and latched himself onto George.

_0000_0000_0000_0000

Derek was really hoping that they lucked out with Harry being the only one who was forced to used that blasted quill. That feeling quickly went away when Minerva mentioned the other child. He walked over to the far bed and got it ready to treat the student that was on their way down to the Infirmary.

The flames flared and several people walked out. Derek's heart dropped at the thought that so many may have been affected.

Minerva looked at the Healer's face and knew what he was thinking.

"It's only one," she said. "The others are his brothers."

Derek nodded as he walked towards them so that he could look at George's hand. After a cursory glance at the scars on the hand, Derek escorted George and Ron to the far bed that he'd already had ready.

"I'm going to call Albus and Severus," Minerva announced, walking back towards the fireplace.

"Severus," Minerva called out into the flames.

It took a moment for Severus to respond, but when he did he saw that he looked frazzled.

"What's wrong?" Minerva asked

"Nothing," Severus said. "Just finished the salve. Derek told me that another student was made to use the blood quill."

"Yes," Minerva answered.

"Who?"

"George Weasley. I have to call Albus and let him know," Minerva said.

Minerva broke the connection and then started a new one with Albus.

"Ah, Minerva" Albus said, when he head was in the flames. "I've heard from Pomona and Flitwick and Severus."

"Well, it seems then that she was just targeting Gryffindors," Minerva informed.

"What do you mean?"

"There was only one."

"Who?"

"George Weasley. We need to contact Molly and Arthur."

"Where is Mr. Weasley, now?"

"We're in the Infirmary. Severus is on the way with the salve."

"I'm on my way down," Albus said, and removed his head from the flames.

Albus walked into the Infirmary and saw one of the twins laying in the far bed. What gave him a slight shock was that Master Weasley was not in the bed alone. He could see the the bed was enlarged so that the youngest Weasley son was laying next to his older brother. The other twin wasn't far away either. He was sitting next to the bed keeping vigil over both of his brothers. Derek was applying the salve that Tami brought up on George's hand. His cuts were not as extensive as Harry's but because they had already put Essence of Murlap on the wound and it did nothing as far as healing, George's hand was slightly infected.

Albus walked over to Minerva who was standing just in the middle of the aisle of beds.

"Where is Harry?" Albus asked. "I thought he would be here."

"He's with Severus," Minerva said, still looking at the Weasley children in front of her. "Healer Williams has already looked over Harry. He'll probably check on Harry later."

Minerva turned and faced Albus.

"Do you want me to floo-call Molly and Arthur or are you going to?" Minerva asked.

"I'll do it," Albus said. "Derek," Albus called out to the Healer when he saw him straighten by the bed.

Derek walked over to Albus and Minerva.

"How is Mr. Weasley's hand?" Albus asked.

"Well, it's not as bad as Harry's hand, but it's still bad. George's hand is slightly infected because he didn't get the salve put on his hand immediately after using the quill. From what I gathered, it had been a few weeks since he had used the quill. And unlike the first time I treated Harry..."

"Excuse me," Albus interrupted. "First time?"

"Yes," Derek continued. "Harry was treated for the same cuts on the hand about the first week I got here. Back to George's hand; his use of the quill was longer that Harry's first time, but not as long as Harry's second time. George informed me that he was to write sixty lines before he was permitted to leave. Way more than Harry's first detention which was only twenty, but way less than his last which was one hundred and fifty."

Minerva looked grave. She looked over at the twins and this time, she felt like she really saw them. They weren't the overactive, hyperactive, trouble-making teens that she had seen over the last seven years. They were just children: victims of abuse.

Albus paled and his eyes dulled as he listened to what his students had suffered at the hands of that woman. Truth be told, Albus really didn't want to hire on Dolores Umbridge. He really didn't want the Ministry involved that closely with the school. It was bad enough having the Board of Governors down his neck, but adding the Ministry as well was even more stressful.

"I'm going to go and call for Molly and Arthur. I'll have them floo straight here," Albus said and left the Infirmary.

As Albus walked back to his office, he had a lot on his mind. Though, these incidents with the blood quill on two students was at the forefront of his mind, but the one thing that he didn't like was that Harry was with Severus. That nagged at him. He knew there was no way he could break the bond that they shared, but he could damage it.

Walking into his office, Albus walked straight to the fireplace and connected to the floo and called out the destination.

"Molly, are you there?"

After a moment, Molly's head appeared in the flames.

"Hello, Albus," Molly said.

"Molly, is Arthur with you?"

"Yes, let me go get him." Molly's head disappeared and within a moment both Molly's and Arthur's head appeared.

"If you would, please, come through," Albus suggested and then stood up from the hearth.

Within seconds Mr. and Mrs. Weasley came through the floo. Albus was standing in front of his desk when they saw him. Molly, after having three of her boys graduate and having the remaining four in school, especially the twins, had learned when Albus wasn't sitting down behind his desk that the twins, in particular, had gotten into something that they shouldn't have. Bracing herself for whatever damage her twins had caused, Molly took a deep breath and walked over to Albus with Arthur right behind her.

"Molly, Arthur," Albus began. "There has been an incident in the school."

"What have they done?" Molly automatically asked.

"It wasn't what they have done, but what was done to them."

Molly paled as her hand covered her mouth muffling the loud gasp coming out.

"Where are they?"

Albus couldn't get the Infirmary out of his mouth before Molly rushed out of the office and all but ran down the spiral stairs towards where her boys were. She didn't hear Arthur call out her name in her rush.

Arthur sighed and turned back to Albus.

"What happened?"

"It seems that the new Defense Professor chose a form of punishment that had been outlawed for over a hundred years."

"What?" Arthur's brow creased. "What did they do to my sons?"

"Just one son," Albus corrected. "She has since been dismissed by Minerva."

"What did she do?"

"Mr. George Weasley, along with another student, was forced to write with a blood quill."

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3174