Unexpected Truce by mandancie
Summary: Harry finds help in the most unlikely of places. Severus mentors Harry story. It begins the summer after the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Please take the time to read and review. :)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Evil!Albus
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 68 Completed: No Word count: 164150 Read: 283275 Published: 01 Feb 2015 Updated: 21 Jun 2017
Chapter 57: Try, Try Again by mandancie

After a moment of tense silence, Arthur spoke again.

"Who?" he asked, quietly.

"I'm sorry," Albus said, leaning closer towards Arthur.

"Who was the other student?" Arthur asked again.

"Harry Potter."

"Boy doesn't catch a break, does he?" Arthur commented and then walked out of Albus' office, heading towards the Infirmary.

When he got to the Infirmary, Arthur could see that Molly was making a huge fuss over George. He saw Ron was in the bed next to his brother and Fred was sitting next to the bed, his knees touching the mattress. Molly was sitting on the other side of the bed, careful not to jar George's bandaged hand, running her fingers through George's ginger hair.

Arthur walked over to his family and stood by Fred. With his hand on his son's shoulder, he could feel how tense he was, and gave Fred and comforting squeeze. Arthur could hear the soothing words that Molly was mumbling into George's ear as she comforted him. It took every bit of himself to keep him within the school, as his first mind was to go and track Umbridge down and make her pay for what she did to his son.

_000_0000_0000_000

After Arthur left, Albus decided he need to insure the next steps in getting a new Professor. He knew it would be difficult but not impossible. He knew where he could find another Professor. Getting up and walking to the hearth, Albus grabbed a handful of powder and threw it in the fireplace. He stepped in and left for his desired location.

Albus stepped out of the new fireplace and into a cozy looking sitting room.

"Who's there?" called a man from another room.

"Please forgive my intrusion," Albus said. "Horace, but I do need to speak with you."

"Albus," an older man with slump shoulders walked into the room. "Sweet Merlin, it's you. Here you are?"

"How are you, Horace?" Albus asked walking further into the room.

"Well, I'm here, Albus." Horace walked over to the window and looked out of it before turning back towards Albus. "What can I do for you?"

"Well, I was wondering would you consider coming back to your old position."

"Well," Horace sighed. "I'm not sure, Albus. Is Minerva still there?"

"Of course," Albus said. "Oh come now, Horace. You can't still be worried about her?"

"Well, she did promise that she would talk with me about one of my students."

"Yes, well, that particular student is now a Professor there."

"Severus?"

Albus nodded.

"You mean that scrawny little boy is a Professor? What does he teach?"

"Potions, of course."

"Well, I can't deny that he had a talent for it. But if you have him, then why are you asking me for my old position?"

"Will you come back?" Albus asked, ignoring Horace's question.

"Keep that lioness away from me," Horace said.

Albus laughed. "Excellent. Please come by this evening."

Albus walked through the floo and headed back to his office.

_0000_000_0000

About mid-morning all the students were out and about through the school. Some were outside enjoying the cool air. Others walked throughout the hallways. Everyone was with friends, talking.

Susan and Cho were walking down the hallway talking.

"So did you have detention with Umbridge?" Susan asked.

"No," Cho answered. "I tried to stay clear of her. I know she picked on several people."

"Yeah, I heard."

"I wonder how they found out?" Cho asked.

"I heard she'd always pick on Harry."

"Who hasn't picked on Harry?"

A girl with wavy blonde hair stood in the alcove listening to the two girls talking.

"I'm just glad that I didn't have detention with her," Susan said. Cho agreed as they continued on to their destination.

The girl stepped out of the alcove when she heard the voices retreating. Looking down at her hand, she saw the markings from the detentions that she had with Umbridge. Luna didn't come forward with her detentions in the small fear that she would not be believed that waxspurts were the cause of her scars.

_0000_0000_00000

Harry woke up and noticed that he wasn't in the same room anymore. A slight panic boiled in his stomach as he was alone in the room. Why was he alone? Where was his da? He remembered waking up in the room he spent those few days in the Summer, and what his da said. But not seeing him in the room was making the anxiety in his chest grow. With his arm stuck on the bed, Harry couldn't get up and try to find his da.

The nightmare was still fresh in his mind. And every second he was away from his da made him feel like his chest of constricting.

The last thing Harry remembered was telling his da how many times he had to write in detention with Umbridge. Maybe his da thought that he was too much trouble. Maybe he didn't want him around anymore and left him. The nightmare plagued his mind.

Don't bother darkening my door anymore.

"DA! DA!" Harry shouted, hoping beyond hope that his da was still around so that he could again apologize and prove that he could be a good boy. "DA, Please!"

_000_000_000_000

Severus had just finished a larger amount of advanced healing salve for whomever the others could find that had detention with the Toad. He was walking out of his personal lab when he felt the first wave of panic in his chest. The anxiety intensified seconds before he heard Harry screaming.

Severus was running down the hall, hurrying to get to his son. At first it caught him by surprise that he was calling him Da, but it wasn't like he didn't call him that before.

Severus came into the room and saw Harry leaning on the elbow of the arm that was pinned to the bed, tears streaming down his red, blotchy face. Severus wordlessly and wandlessly cast finite on Harry's arm seconds before he scooped the boy in his arm to comfort him. Harry's wails changed from calling out to Severus to apologizing over and over. It broke Severus' heart to hear the despondent cries of his boy. It worried Severus as to what was really plaguing his boy to these upsets. At a loss at what to do, Severus just sat down on the bed and held Harry in his arms, soothingly talking to his, trying to calm him down.

_0000_0000_0000_00

When Arthur showed up in the Infirmary, Minerva spoke to him for a few moments and then quietly stepped out so that the Weasleys could be together in peace. She knew and understood that Ron and Fred would be by George's side for the entire day and didn't expect that they would be back into the Common Room until George was released.

Minerva quickly walked to her chambers as she knew Sirius would be waiting for her. She told her son that she wasn't worried about the threat that was placed upon her. And deep down she really wasn't but it still made her feel a little uneasy that there was someone out there that wanted to do her harm. But her anger as to the reason behind it set her convictions that she would not cower away from this. They were using her to hurt her son. Minerva was a soft spoken woman, fierce but quiet. Her animagus was a cat, but don't underestimate the cat. If someone was threatening or treating her son wrongfully she was a fierce lioness that you didn't want to cross.

Walking into her chambers, she saw Sirius sitting on the sofa staring into the fire place deep in thought.

"Sirius," Minerva called out.

"How could they hurt him like that?" Sirius said, not even looking away from the flames.

"Harry will be alright," Minerva soothed, sitting down on the chair next to Sirius.

"He doesn't trust us," Sirius sighed.

"Oh, not you too," Minerva sighed, exasperatedly.

Sirius looked over at Minerva and saw the annoyed look on her face.

"What?"

"You and Severus," Minerva sighed. "You both think that Harry doesn't trust you. Why? When all the child wants to do is impress you." Sirius blinked at her, totally at a loss at what to say. "Now, I am not going to sit here and listen to you have a pity party because you think that Harry doesn't trust you."

Before Sirius could respond to that, the flames turned green. Sirius quickly stood up and turned into Snuffles.

"Minerva," Albus voice came through the flames.

"Yes, Albus," Minerva said getting up and walking towards the fire.

"Can I trouble you and Severus to come to my office within the hour?"

"Sure, Albus," Minerva said, her brow furrowing as to why.

"I'll see you within the hour," Albus said and the flames died out.

Minerva turned towards the dog in her sitting room. "Let's go." Turning back to the hearth, Minerva grabbed some powder and stepped in, followed by her dog.

_000_000_000_0000

Things had finally seemed to calm down in the Infirmary. Derek had to widen the bed that George was on, twice. At first it was because the younger Weasley would not leave his brother, then he had to do it again when Molly insisted that she be with her child. Now, Molly was sitting on the side of the bed. George and Ron were laying in the bed; Ron in his brother's arms. Fred was sitting in a chair on the opposite side of their mother. Arthur was pacing the floor. Derek could see the anger in the father's eyes, much the same as Severus'.

Derek walked over to Arthur.

"Come," Derek said and walked towards his office.

Arthur looked over at his family, his boys, and then followed Derek into his office.

"Take a seat," Derek said. Arthur sat down.

Not saying a word, Derek went to a cabinet and pulled out two tumblers and a carat filled with an amber liquid. He poured the whiskey into the tumblers and walked back to his desk, where Arthur was sitting. Holding out the glass, Arthur looked at the tumbler and then up at Derek. Without a word, Arthur took the proffered drink, taking a sip and letting the burn in the back of his throat try to soothe his anger.

Derek sat down behind the desk, also taking a sip.

"How is my son?" Arthur asked after a moment of silence between them.

"He'll be fine," Derek assured the man. "Your son applying the Murlap on his hand before helped. But because it was the blood quill that caused the injury and not a normal cut, the Murlap wasn't enough. Severus' salve will heal your son's hand. He may scar, but he will heal."

"Where is she?"

"I don't know," Derek said, knowing full well who Arthur was talking about. "Minerva said she would handle it."

Arthur nodded and took another sip of the whiskey.

The flames in Derek's office turned green.

"Healer Williams," Albus' voice came through the flames.

"Yes, Headmaster," Derek said, walking over towards the flames.

"Please can you come to my office within the hour?"

"Sure, Headmaster."

"Are the Weasleys still there?"

"Yes," Derek said, looking back at Arthur.

"Wonderful," Albus said. "Have them accompany you."

The flames died down and Derek turned to face Arthur, who had the same look of confusion on his face, wondering what it was that the Headmaster wanted.

_0000_0000_00000_000

Albus had one more call to make. A small smirk came across Albus' face as he pictured in his mind the reaction he would receive from Cornelius about the dismissing of Umbridge.

"Minister Fudge," Albus called out into the flames.

After a moment, the Minister head came through.

"Albus," Cornelius greeted. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I need you to come through."

"What? Right now?"

"As soon as possible," Albus said, smoothly. "It is of the utmost importance."

"I'll be there within the hour."

"Thank you," Albus said and broke off the connection.

_000_000_000

Severus was sitting in his armchair, trying to relax. Harry's pleas and cries tore at is heart. He had finally gotten Harry calmed down, and the child was currently laying on the sofa. The flames turned green and both occupants look to see who was coming through. Severus saw the mutt come through seconds before his mother came.

Snuffles walked over to the sofa and sat down,making a whining noise, putting his head on Harry's shoulder. Harry looked at him and a small smile came across the child's face.

"Severus," Minerva said. "We are needed in Albus' office. Sirius will watch Harry."

Severus nodded. He got up and walked over to the sofa. Leaning down, carding his fingers through the child's hair, neither said a word. Harry leaning into the touch. They looked at each other for a second and then Severus stood, withdrawing his hand.

He and Minerva walked out of his chambers, both decided to walk to Albus' office instead of flooing there.

Sirius changed back and sat down on the edge of the sofa.

"How are you feeling, pup?"

A small smile still on Harry's face when he looked at Sirius said, "I'm okay."

_0000_0000_000_000

George was worried but pretending to be asleep. He knew that his mother was there, but he didn't really want to talk to her. He knew she would fuss and make a huge deal about what happened, not that he could blame her; his hand was in pretty bad shape. But it wasn't that he was avoiding his mother; what worried him more was his brother. Fred was understandably upset, and hadn't left his side, but he was his twin and it was rare to see one without the other. No, it was his younger brother who had him worried. Ron refused to leave his side. Even when he came and was told to get in the bed. The Healer had to enlarge the bed to accommodate having two of them.

George heard his mother getting up and leaving his bedside. He opened his eyes and watched as his mother headed towards the Healer's office. When he saw that it looked as though she would be in there for a while, George looked over at his brothers. Fred was awake on the chair next to his bed and Ron was asleep, curled up at his side. Ron effectively had George's arm pinned to the bed; Ron's head on George's shoulder. Fred and George looked at each other in a silent conversation. Fred leaned over in his chair, softly shaking Ron's shoulder.

"Wake up, Ron," Fred whispered.

Ron began to stir, turning his face into the comforting shoulder he was laying on. His first thought was where was he? Ron opened his eyes and the first thing he noticed was that he was in his brother's arms. Embarrassment coursed through Ron as he knew that it happened again. He had, once again, made a fool of himself. The in house meeting with Professor McGonagall flooded his mind and he realized to more horror that not only did he make a fool of himself, but he did so in the presence of the entire Gryffindor house. That thought made him bury his face in the closest thing, which turned out to be his brother's chest.

A dip in the mattress behind him brought Ron out of his musing. Fred put his hand on Ron's shoulder.

"Hey," Fred said. "We need to talk."

"I hate this," Ron mumbled from his obscure hiding spot.

"Yes, I know," Fred deadpanned. "Sit up."

Ron lifted his head and slightly turned to see his brother. Ron's initial embarrassment quickly dissipated when he saw the worried look on Fred's face. Turning and looking at George, he saw the same expression on him.

"What?" Ron asked, his voice laced with worry.

"You," was all George said.

"What about me?" Ron asked looking from one twin to the other.

"You want to explain why you acted the way you did in the Common Room?" Fred said. "Did you have detention with that Toad?"

"No," Ron quickly answered, panic in his tone. "I didn't."

"Shh," George soothed. "Then why were you so panicked when Professor McGonagall mentioned it?"

Ron looked from Fred to George and back to Fred.
"I was worried. I know that Harry had several detentions with her. And I know that is what you had," Ron looked at George, "when you came back that night. I saw your hand." After a moment of silence, Ron looked George, "You weren't going to say anything. So I had to."

_0000_0000_0000_000

Severus and Minerva walked down the hallway in silence. Both had a lot on their minds. Mainly, what Albus wanted to see them about. As they got to the gargoyle, it moved once Minerva got close enough. Severus raised an eyebrow at his mother. She looked at him in return and smirked before heading up the spiral stairs. Severus followed.

"Albus," Minerva said, when she walked into his office.

"Ah, Minerva," Albus greeted. "Come."

Albus held out his hand towards one of his chairs across from his desk, offering it to Minerva. Severus came in after her and closed the door behind him, taking the seat next to Minerva.

"Severus," Albus said. "How is young Harry doing?"

"As best as can be expected," Severus answered.

"I wasn't informed as to the extent of Harry's injuries," Albus said. "What was the damage?"
"Severe," Severus said. "His arm must stay immobile right now. As to the extent of the damage caused by that quill, we won't know until we can safely remove the bandages. Right now, he is resting comfortably."

"Please keep me informed," Albus said. "This is a very serious charge and must be handled delicately."

"I agree," Minerva said. "But I must wonder, why are we here?"

"Do forgive me, Minerva," Albus said. "I know it's a little mysterious, but I ask that you be a little patient as I am waiting for a few others to come before this meeting start."

"Meeting?" Minerva asked. "About?"

Before Albus could answer, the floo flared and Cornelius walked through.

"Ah, Cornelius," Albus said, his eyes twinkling. "Thank you for coming. Please have a seat." Albus waved his hand and another chair appeared next to Minerva.

"So, I am here," Cornelius said, sitting down in the newest chair. "What's this about?"

"I will get to it in due time," Albus said. "I'm just waiting for a few more."
Just as Albus finished talking the door to his office opened. Arthur and Derek walked in.

"Excellent," Albus said, clapping his hands. "Let's begin, shall we."

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3174