Sealed With Lies by Alexannah
Summary: Snape puts Harry under a magical leash to keep him out of trouble. But unbeknown to him, Harry has been turned into a vampire, and the leash is causing far more harm than good. Terrified of losing his friends, Harry would rather starve than risk the truth coming out.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Mean, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway, Spying on Harry! Snape, Vampire!Harry, Vampires
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 32255 Read: 127827 Published: 03 Feb 2015 Updated: 22 Jun 2015
Being Stubborn by Alexannah

Harry had gone to sleep on the ground in the Forest. He had rather hoped, if he had to be honest, that some creature would find and kill him so he didn’t have to starve to death, and quickly so he didn’t wake up. When he was jolted awake by something furry and wet poking him sharply, he flinched on automatic, before realising it was Snuffles.

“Woof!” Snuffles said upon seeing he was awake.

Harry squinted. He couldn’t see much, but he could feel that he had moved—been moved, rather—while he slept. He was underground, in a very small space—he and Snuffles practically filled the gap.

“Hi, Snuffles,” Harry said sleepily.

Snuffles whined, as if to say, What are you doing here?

“It’s over,” Harry whispered. “I ate Ron’s pet rat.” He felt rather than saw Snuffles stiffen, as if the news was a shock. “Yeah, I don’t blame you. You’d be better off away from me. I don’t want to—” Harry choked up. “I didn’t mean to … I don’t even remember; I was so hungry I was completely out of it …”

Snuffles licked his cheek in what might have been meant to be a comforting gesture.

“You should probably stay away from me, Snuffles,” Harry said miserably. “I don’t want—I don’t want to kill you too.”

Woof,” Snuffles said, thumping his tail on the ground. If Harry hadn’t known better, he would have said it sounded stubborn. After a moment Snuffles nudged something small and feathery into Harry’s chest.

Harry fumbled for whatever it was, realising after a moment that it was a bird about the size and shape of a crow. “Snuffles, you …” He took a deep breath and pushed it back at the dog. “You take it.”

Snuffles whined.

“There’s no point me having it,” Harry said miserably. “I’ve lost everything. I can’t go back. Everyone will know by now. I’ve got nothing left to live for … certainly not my friends. And I won’t go back to the Dursleys. It’s over. I just want it all to stop.”

Snuffles nudged him firmly.

“If I hang around I’m just gonna be alone for eternity. I don’t want that. I’d rather be with m-my mum and dad.” Harry’s throat tightened and he paused to take a shuddery breath. “So that’s what I’m gonna do.”

He dog whined again, picked up the bird and pushed it in Harry’s face firmly, pressing it right against Harry’s mouth. Harry turned his head away. Snuffles whined louder.

No, Snuffles. You have it. I don’t want to live anymore.”

-

No matter how hard he tried, Sirius couldn’t get Harry to drink whilst he was awake. He stopped trying, and once he was sure Harry was soundly back asleep, he forced Harry’s mouth open and placed the bird’s neck in it.

Instincts took over, and Sirius could have died with relief as, even in his sleep, Harry drained the bird dry. At least that should keep him going for a while, hopefully until Sirius could figure out what to do.

Harry was in a much worse state than he had thought. Suicidal. Sirius had to get word to someone—but who, and how? He could use Harry’s wand while Harry was asleep, but he had no access to writing utensils and conjuring charms had never been his forte.

Perhaps … perhaps if he were to catch Pettigrew, force him to confess, so that Remus or Albus or Minerva would listen to him long enough for him to explain the situation? But if the little rat had gone …

-

“For Merlin’s sake, Severus. Do we have to discuss this now?

Severus scowled. “The sooner we discuss it the better. Potter has been breaking rules since he arrived this year and detentions are having absolutely no effect.”

“Aside from perhaps sending him to the Hospital Wing,” Minerva said pointedly.

Severus would not allow himself to look guilty. He frowned harder. “I was going easy on him, Minerva. Hogwarts rules say that thieves should be expelled. That, and the fact that he can’t keep out of trouble, should be enough for you to do so.”

“Harry Potter is not a thief,” Minerva shot back. “Really, Severus; you always have to assume the worst of him! Just because he was the last to be near those rabbits—”

“I’m not just talking about the damn rabbits!” Severus near-shouted, but they were interrupted by Albus entering the staff room.

“What is—” he began, but Minerva cut him off before Severus could.

“Albus, Severus wants to expel one of my students. Again. Three guesses which one.”

“Ah,” Albus said, taking a seat, his eyes still twinkling infuriatingly. “What has Harry done this time?”

“Would you like it alphabetically or chronologically?” Severus said, in a (for him) sweet tone.

“Just get on with it,” Minerva said with a huff.

“Fine. Potter is a thief. He has stolen rabbits from Minerva, books from Irma, attempted to steal from my private stores the first night of the year, and now I’ve just learned that he’s stolen from Poppy as well. The Hogwarts rules are clear. Thievery isn’t tolerated. He needs to be expelled.”

“Severus,” Albus said slowly, “I’m not saying that I don’t believe you …”

“Hmph.”

“… but can you actually prove it was Harry?”

“I caught him red-handed in my stores,” Severus argued. “He was wearing an Invisibility Cloak. Only a few minutes beforehand, I had heard somebody in the library, which had been apparently empty. That was the night the books vanished. With the other things, he was the last person seen in the vicinity both times. Coincidence? I think not.”

Albus and Minerva looked at each other. Severus could see he was losing this argument. Just because some prophecy had been made about Potter, he was bloody untouchable in this school. Short of finding Potter with all the stolen items and a signed confession, nothing was going to convince them.

Try to play the other tactic.

“And as if that wasn’t enough, I caught him yesterday attempting to enter the Forbidden Forest. Alone. He’s not only a thief, he has no regard for his own life.”

Ah, now they looked worried.

“Look, Severus,” Albus said with a sigh. “The evidence against Harry is circumstantial. I assume you have searched his dormitory.”

The man knew him better than he thought. Severus reluctantly said, “Yes.”

“And you didn’t find anything.”

“No,” he muttered.

“Well, I am not in the habit of expelling without hard evidence, so I suggest we wrap up that part of this conversation, shall we? Did he actually enter the Forest?”

“No. But he tried.”

“Then I’ll give him detention,” Minerva said firmly, and Severus scowled deeper. “If you see him, tell him to come and see me. And while you’re at it, you can ask him why he’s not in the Hospital Wing; Poppy’s been looking for him. Again.”

Severus was smart enough to know when he was beaten. Instead of protesting like a child, he made his usual dramatic exit, slamming the door behind him.

-

Sirius had a plan. Unfortunately, he daren’t leave Harry’s side—or at least not venture far enough away that he couldn’t hear if Harry needed help—so the plan depended entirely on Crookshanks visiting again. Crookshanks would be able to fetch Sirius writing utensils, take the message to Albus Dumbledore, and then lead him back here to Harry. It was a good plan as long as Sirius could keep Harry alive all that time.

He used Harry’s wand to bring him more food, and then settled down next him to keep him warm. In his sleep, Harry edged closer to him, burrowing deep into Sirius’ fur. Sirius lay his head down and allowed himself to doze with one ear open, though he didn’t dare sleep properly.

At one point, Harry jolted awake from a nightmare, calling his friends’ names and shaking uncontrollably. Sirius wished he had arms to be able to hug him, hold him, and a voice to tell him everything would be okay. Instead, he had to settle for licking him, putting a paw over his chest and Harry’s head in his neck.

“Snuffles,” Harry whispered, nuzzling closer like a puppy. “D-don’t … don’t l-leave me. Please. You’re all I’ve g-got.” His breath hitched and Sirius gently licked away the flowing tears.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3180