Chills part V: Chills dissolved. by Henna Hypsch
Past Featured StorySummary: Entry for the Winter Fic Fest as part of the series "Chills". It is the coldest December in Britain for decades. Snape is doing some Christmas shopping at Diagon Alley. But where is Harry going to celebrate the Feast? The last story in the Chills series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Fluff
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Prompts: Christmas, One Shot Season
Challenges: Christmas, One Shot Season
Series: Chills
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 8814 Read: 14879 Published: 07 Feb 2015 Updated: 07 Feb 2015
Chapter 4 by Henna Hypsch

Snape was striding down the corridor on the fifth floor in a students’ hostel in the outskirts of Muggle London. A simple, wandless Alohomora had bypassed the ridiculous Muggle code protection. Why on earth Harry had decided to move to these dreadful lodgings was beyond his comprehension. He had never visited before, Harry always came to him. 

 

Snape had been forced to go by Muggle underground transportation, as he knew this to be a busy Muggle area and not suitable for Apparating at. He did not want, in the middle of this turmoil, the Ministry’s minions to turn up and lecture him about Magical dissemblance. It was bad enough to be stared at, up and down, by various Muggles, as he had not thought of transfiguring his black wizard’s coat into something closer to Muggle fashion. They clearly found it striking. It had taken him an inordinate amount of time to get to the area and to find the right building among several similar blocks of houses. The delay had done nothing to soothe his worry, only resulted in making him uncomfortably hot, despite the cold outside, from all the running.

 

Now inside, Snape tugged impatiently at the black scarf around his neck to loosen it up and let some steam off. A door to one of the rooms stood ajar to his right. He distinguished some plain furniture and a worn plastic carpet. Suddenly, two Muggles barred his way in the corridor - a tall boy who looked suspicious and a girl that had an intrigued but not condemning expression on her face.

 

”Harry Potter,” said Snape without preamble. ”Does he live here?”

 

Even if Snape checked his countenance out of habit and looked outwardly calm, he was in fact, at that moment, worked up enough to Imperius or Blast his way to Harry, if needed. A swift Legilimency of the Muggles told him that the boy sensed the threat and was on his guard, but that the girl was going to show him without compulsion.

 

”Yes, he does. Are you a relative of his?” she said and put a hand on the boy’s arm as if to reassure him. The young man shrugged, shot Snape a dark look and walked into his room.

 

Snape chose to nod cautiously.

 

”Here. I’ll show you,” the girl said and brought him further down the corridor. ”He usually doesn’t answer when you knock, but he trusts me not to disturb him without reason so I know the secret code.” She smiled and winked at Snape and tapped a series of knocks at the door. ”He never lets me in, though,” she said regretfully. ”He’s social enough when you meet him in our kitchen or in the common room, but he keeps to himself. A couple of friends who comes by on a regular basis only. Who are you - his father? Or an uncle? I can see familiar traits in your…” She made a gesture with her hand towards her own face and looked at him with curiosity again. ”I’m an artist. Working a lot with portraying. I tend to notice that kind of things. That’s why I trusted you… Maybe he’s not in… Haven’t seen him much these last days.” She rattled on and Snape, thankfully, did not have to answer, waiting only, with a hammering heart.

 

The door opened slowly a few inches.

 

”Sammy? Thought it might be you… Listen, it’s not a very good time,” a voice from inside said.

 

”Someone here for you, Harry,” the girl explained and Snape stepped into view. It was dark inside the room and he could not distinguish Harry’s face well enough to tell the young man’s reaction to his presence.

 

”Severus,” said Harry and there was a pause. ”Please come in.”

 

The girl looked enviously at Snape as he turned to shut the door after him.

 

It took a while for Snape to adjust his eyes to the sparse light. As he did and advanced a few steps, he understood why Harry did not let any Muggles in. The room was obviously transfigured from its original state and looked comfortable with a lot of dark cloth covering the windows, thick carpets on the floor and many cushions on the couch. The room contained a great number of books and magical objects on the shelves that lined the walls. Harry might live in a Muggle building, but his closest space was more stuffed with magic than most wizards’ homes.

 

”Are you well?” asked Snape and stared at Harry who seemed a little reserved. 

 

Harry raised his eyebrows.

 

”Is the cold causing you trouble?” continued Snape and stepped up closer to scrutinise Harry’s face. Harry made a vague gesture and recoiled imperceptibly.

 

”I’m fine. Augmented the dose of your potion, though, just out of precaution. And I avoid going out, if I can, as long as the cold goes on. I had my exam three days ago. I think I did pretty well. You know, on diagnosing spells. The teachers don’t realise it, but there are elements of Ancient Magic in those spells and I believe they could be ameliorated substantially if you only… But I’ll tell you about that another time. How come you’re here? You never came before. It’s true, I never invited you. It’s so small in here. We’re usually more comfortable at your place. Sit down, please. I’m afraid the couch is the only alternative.” Harry grinned apologetically and Snape started to relax. Harry did not look ill. Snape sank down on the edge of the couch. His legs were trembling a little. He had taken the stairs two by two all the way to the fifth floor. 

 

”Earlier today, I was doing some shopping at Diagon Alley,” said Snape.

 

Harry’s eyebrows almost hit the ceiling. Another one who knows me too well, Snape thought annoyed.

 

”I ran into Minerva… then I spoke to Molly Weasley,” Snape continued aloud. When Harry did not grasp his meaning, he elucidated. ”They seemed to have been deluded as to your plans for celebrating Christmas.”

 

”Oh,” said Harry, embarrassed when the knut dropped. ”I did not mean to deceive them. I couldn’t make up my mind about Christmas and the lies just came out naturally, I guess… I mean, it was not exactly lies, as I had not decided what to do and wanted some more time to think it over. It wasn’t very nice of me to omit explaining that to them, though. You know it’s really hard to visit the Burrow when… when Ginny is there. She’s got a new boy-friend,” Harry supplied defeatedly. 

 

”Hmm, yes, Molly told me. She said she did not think it would last,” said Snape. ”But why did you… What were your plans for Christmas?” Snape tried not to sound accusing. Harry fretted a bit and went over to sit down on his bed which was covered with boxes, what looked like scrolls of parchment and other items. 

 

”I… er… I didn’t really feel up to… I mean, I’m used to being alone and… It doesn’t bother me…” said Harry.

 

Snape looked at him with knitted eyebrows.

 

”And I was thinking of popping by at your place…” confessed Harry. ”But I did not know if you’d want me to… You’ve seemed a bit… off… at times, lately, and I was not sure whether maybe you’d had enough of me… or something. I do visit quite often and maybe you just don’t…” Harry stammered.

 

”No!” exhaled Snape as if he had held his breath while Harry spoke. ”Not at all. You have misunderstood me. I truly enjoy your visits, enjoy your company. I might have behaved in a strange way, lately, and I apologise for that. I will try to explain to you at some time… soon… if I can…”

 

Harry looked intrigued. 

 

”Would you like to spend Christmas at my house, then?” asked Snape. ”I usually don’t do much for Christmas, but it’s calm and I keep my house warm, as you know. Mr Farmington, my neighbour, actually brought me a tree. I have not taken it inside yet, but if you like, we could decorate it and get into the proper Christmas spirit… I’m not adverse to getting into the spirit, within limits of course, on our own terms…” Snape was slightly incoherent in his eagerness to persuade Harry to come with him. Harry gave away a happy chuckle as he jumped up from the bed.

 

”Great! I believe it would suit me. I’d love to come with you. I’ll just…” His countenance grew serious as he watched the mess on his bed and he sighed deeply. ”Maybe I could bring all this with me,” he said, as if to himself.

 

”Some project of yours?” asked Snape. 

 

”Er… Stuff from the Dursley’s attic, actually. My uncle died several months ago, but aunt Petunia didn’t get hold of me until last week. She’s selling the house and wanted to get rid of these old boxes with my mother’s things. I’ve been pretty engrossed by going through them - that’s why I haven’t been in touch with you. There’re her old schoolbooks and drawings… and letters…” Harry looked at Snape and coloured a little. ”…from you too… a lot… but I haven’t read any of them, I promise. I was going to give them to you.” Snape had to clear his voice to answer.

 

”Thank you. I’ve got hers. I’m not sure I’d want to reread mine, though,” he said. ”I’m sorry about your uncle,” he added. Harry sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

 

”I really don’t care about my uncle,” he said rather coolly. ”There are things here that don’t make sense, though,” he continued in a puzzled voice. ”I’ve read some letters from James and… they are… friendly, I suppose… quite witty at times, but… there’s no ardour, if you know what I mean? At times, they are rather businesslike - when approaching the date for their wedding for example. He only speaks of practical things… And I have not been able to find their magical contract of matrimony. There’s the Muggle certificate of marriage, but no magical contract - that’s strange, no? In the wizard world their marriage would not be valid without such a contract.”

 

Snape too looked puzzled.

 

”And then there’s this correspondence that my mother had with a healer at St Mungo’s. They have owled the message between them, so you can read what both have written. It’s about some healing spell I suppose - I don’t recognise it. ”Gestatio Prolongatus”. What is that? Was she sick? Did she need treatment - do you know?” asked Harry as he handed a parchment over to Snape, who accepted it automatically and started to read. Meanwhile, Harry went on. 

 

”Prolong… prolong what? Life? What if she had some serious illness and that’s why she left you like that? Maybe she didn’t want you to pity her and care for her, or something, when it only meant danger to you and she was dying, anyway? That might explain why she deserted you so callously. It always bothered me that she did. What if…?” Harry rattled on, but stopped abruptly as he watched Snape’s countenance change dramatically. Snape’s eyes widened and his face drained from blood. 

 

”Harry… Harry… This means that maybe… maybe…” Snape whispered hoarsely but his face screwed up in pain and he put a hand on his chest, tried to draw his breath, leant forward so that his long hair hid his face, doubled up further and finally, to Harry’s horror, slid to the floor, lifeless.

 

When Snape regained consciousness, he was lying on his back and Harry was on his knees beside him. Harry’s face was so taught with fear and concern that it almost looked like he, too, would pass out any time. He held his wand in one hand and the other rested in the middle of Snape’s chest.

 

”Don’t move! I need to check the effect of my heart jolting spell,” he said in a shaky voice. 

 

Snape did not answer but continued to stare at Harry. 

 

”Merlin!” exclaimed Harry in a muffled voice, after performing a series of spells on Snape. ”You had a heart attack! Just like you have threatened me with so many times. You’re just so lucky that you’ve scared me enough to have me check up on every single heart-saving spell there is. It was the first thing I did when I started magical med school. But why on earth haven’t you had yourself checked by a proper healer if you knew you had a heart condition?”

 

Snape blinked a couple of times and sat up. He suddenly gripped Harry’s both arms forcefully, like clutching to a life buoy. Harry’s concern augmented and he grasped Snape’s elbows back and tried to stroke Snape’s arms soothingly. 

 

”Easy, please, Severus,” he whispered pleadingly. ”Don’t get yourself worked up. It was not an ordinary heart attack, but a heart racing attack. Your heart tried to go at a rate of three hundred per minute and of course that made it impossible to pump efficiently. At the same time, the heart muscle suffered severe ischemia as its demands of oxygen increased exponentially. I’ve spelled it to go at a rate of seventy per minute, but if you get excited again the arrhythmia might brake through.” Snape opened his mouth to speak for the first time since regaining consciousness. 

 

”That spell that Lily was checking out,” he said, looking so intently at Harry that he almost scared the young wizard, ”…Gestatio Prolongatus… is a spell to prolong pregnancy. To prolong the time the child spends in the womb,” said Snape.

 

Harry's eyes widened.

 

”It means… It might mean that…” Snape’s voice cracked with emotion. ”It means that I might be your father, Harry.”

 

Harry gasped and jerked, but Snape held on to him by the arms. Harry stilled and his gaze dropped to the floor.

 

”I want you to come with me and do a test. I’ve got everything we need in my laboratory,” said Snape with an intent voice. Harry raised his eyes to meet Snape’s. They were full of concern and pain.

 

”I know how much you wanted a family with Lily,” Harry said softly. ”I understand why you’re hoping, but…”

 

”You don’t believe it, do you?” said Snape and added in a whisper. ”Don’t you want it?” Snape’s face took on so vulnerable an expression that Harry almost cried out his protest, and when Snape released Harry and dropped his arms along the sides defeatedly, the young wizard launched forward and gripped Snape by the shoulders and drew him to his chest in a hug. 

 

”I’m sorry. Yes I do! Of course, I do…” Harry’s voice trailed off. He disengaged from Snape and looked gravely and pleadingly at him. ”I just wanted to say that it does not matter that much to me, because I already… love you as a father…”

 

Snape jerked his head up, features twitching out of emotion.

 

”I assure you, my feelings and esteem for you could not get any deeper than they already are, even if we were to be related by blood and magic,” whispered Harry. ”But I’m afraid… if it means so much to you… What if it’s not true? If we are not father and son? Will you distance yourself from me, then? Will you leave me?” Harry was embarrassed and near tears.

 

Reminding himself of his own panic when he had thought Harry gone, Snape understood perfectly Harry’s fears of being abandoned. The realisation that Harry wanted him as a father, regardless of the blood bond, warmed his heart and he raised his hand to stroke Harrys’ cheek.

 

”I won’t leave you. You’re right - it does not matter… so much. But I need to know. I need to understand why Lily acted like she did. And… and… I’d like to know,” Snape finished lamely, unable to explain all the complex thoughts that were rushing through his mind. ”Please, come with me,” he said and stretched out his hand to Harry. The young man drew a shaky breath, nodded and they pulled each other up from the floor. 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3183