A True Family by mandancie
Summary: This story is adopted and given permission from Severus Addicted. Albus has kept a secret about two people for eleven years. The time has come for when the truth should be announced. Can Severus be a father? Severitus. Warnings: small mention of abuse/foul language/corporal punishment. No slash. Be kind, leave a review. No flamers please.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Out of Character, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 50555 Read: 68898 Published: 14 Feb 2015 Updated: 04 Jul 2020
Chapter 17: Getting Back to Normal? by mandancie

Harry was released the next day. Draco stayed with Harry the entire time. He tried to keep Harry’s spirits up. They talked about anything and everything. Hedwig sat at the head of the bed.

Walking out of the Infirmary, Harry was walking slower, but he was enjoying the fact that he was out and able to walk around.

“Now that you’re free,” Draco said. “Where do you want to go?”

“It’s just nice to be back home,” Harry said. “I was so scared.”

Draco sighed. “I know. I was too.”

The two boys walked towards the stairs when Draco thought of something.

“Hey,” Draco said, stretching his arm out, stopping Harry in his tracks.

“What?” Harry said.

“Let’s go to Grandpa Albus,” Draco said, smiling.

“Okay,” Harry said. “That’s cool, but why?”

Harry couldn’t help smiling. Draco’s smile was catching.

“Your birthday,” Draco said.

Draco carefully grabbed Harry’s arm and, knowing that Harry was better but still in pain, dragged Harry up the stairs. Harry couldn’t help laughing. Harry remembered that was what they wanted to do before he was taken.

It didn’t take as long as they thought to get to the Headmaster’s office. When they walked up to the stone Griffin, Draco started talking to the statue.

“Is Grandpa in?” Draco asked.

“He’s in a meeting,” the Griffin responded.

Draco sighed as his shoulders sagged. He turned to Harry.

“I guess we have to wait,” Draco said. “Sorry.”

“No,” Harry said, still smiling. “It’s fine. It’s not like my birthday is tomorrow. There’s still a few weeks away. We’ll have time.”

“Yeah,” Draco said. “I just wanted to get you to smile. Something to take away from what you went through.”

“Dray,” Harry said. “I’m home. I’m back with you. I’m with dad and Grandpa Albus and Grandma Minnie. That is enough to make me smile. I just want to get it back the way it was before I was taken. I loved playing around.”

“I just don’t know what we can do that won’t hurt you,” Draco sighed.

Harry couldn’t help but feel happiness. The thought that Draco wanted to find something fun for him warmed his heart. Harry felt something that he didn’t have before, and he was loving every bit of it.

“Well,” Harry said. “I can’t fly yet.” Draco shook his head in agreement. “How about you teach me to play wizard’s chess?”

“You want to learn how to play chess?” Draco asked, skeptically.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Ron tried to teach me, but I couldn’t get it, and he’s really good and I would like to give him at least a challenge.”

“Okay,” Draco said, shrugging. “We’ll go down to Uncle Sev’s.”

The two boys started walking down the corridor when they heard the statue move. They turned around and saw Severus, Minerva, and Albus walking through the passageway behind the Griffin.

“Well, well,” Albus said. “What are you boys doing here?”

“Is everything all right?” Severus asked, speeding his pace to reach his boys.

“We’re fine,” Draco said. “We wanted to talk to Grandpa Albus, but the Griffin said you were in a meeting.”

“So,” Harry continued. “Draco was going to teach me to play chess.”

“Well we were coming down to see you,” Minerva said. “We didn’t know that Poppy let you out of her grasp so soon.”

“It wasn’t that long ago,” Harry said, shrugging.

“Well, my boys,” Albus said. “Let’s go to my chambers and have our conversation.”

Draco whooped and rushed over to Albus. Harry smiled. He walked towards his dad and gave him a hug before making his way to Draco and Albus. Severus leaned down and kissed Harry on the top of his head. Harry’s trek toward Draco and Albus wasn’t as fast as Draco, but it didn’t damper his mood.

When the three of them disappeared up the spiral stairs, Minerva walked over to Severus and looped her arm around his.

“What do you say, we take a soothing walk around the grounds?” Minerva asked, looking up at her son.

Severus nodded his head and the two of them headed for the front doors.

___000___000___000

In the Headmaster’s chambers. Harry and Draco were sitting on the sofa. Albus put an extra cushioning charm under Harry so he wouldn’t be in too much pain. Albus sat in one of his overly plush chairs next to his fireplace.

“So,” Albus said. “What did you want to see me about?”

“Well,” Draco said. “Harry’s never had a birthday party.”

Albus looked over at Harry, wanting to gauge Harry’s demeanor, and seeing that Harry wasn’t getting upset, Albus put his attention back on Draco.

“I was thinking,” Draco continued not noticing Albus’ inner thoughts, “that we give Harry a party.”

Harry nodded in agreement.

“Well, that sounds like a splendid idea,” Albus said smiling. “Is there anything you would like to have, Harry?”

Harry shrugged, “I don’t know what I should have. I thought between us we could plan it.”

Albus nodded.

“Okay,” Albus said. “Don’t you want your father in on this?”

“Well, yeah,” Draco answered. “We just wanted a little back up when we bring this to Uncle Sev.”

“We were planning on talking to you about this before I was taken,” Harry confessed.

“I see,” Albus said. “Well, I think having a birthday party would be wonderful.”

“Yes,” Draco whispered, pumping his fist.

Harry laughed.

“Now,” Albus said, clapping his hands. “Did I hear, Harry, that you wanted to learn to play chess?”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Last year, Ron would kill me when we would play. He’s so good.”

“Yes,” Albus nodded. “He is a very good chess player.” He gave Harry a knowing look.

Harry had the grace to blush. After their little adventure under the trap door, at the end of term, all the professors would know that Ron was a good chess player.

For the rest of the afternoon, Harry, Draco, and Albus stayed in the Headmaster’s chambers playing chess. And when they got bored with chess, gobstones came out. When the evening was upon them, Draco and Harry were in Harry’s room in Severus’ chambers. It was getting close to lights out when Severus walked into the room.

Draco and Harry were sitting on Harry’s bed. Draco had a parchment and quill in his hand, writing and Harry was laying on his stomach next to him. Severus cleared his throat to get the boys’ attention. Both turned around with impish grins on their faces.

“What are you two up to?” Severus asked, quirking his eyebrow.

“Nothing,” they said at the same time.

They looked at each other and smiled. Talking at the same time; neither was expecting that.

“Nothing, huh?” Severus said, walking into the room.

Draco flipped the parchment over, putting his hands over it.

“You can’t see, yet,” Draco said quickly.

“Why not?” Severus asked. “Are you two planning on blowing up the castle?”

Harry dropped his head on his arms and started giggling.

“No,” Draco said. A chuckle escaping passed his lips.

“But you don’t want me to see,” Severus said, folding his arms in front of his chest.

“No,” Draco said, shaking his head.

“Not yet, anyway,” Harry said, lifting his head.

“All right,” Severus said. “I came to tell you: you need to get ready for bed. Harry you need as much rest as you can.”

Draco climbed out of the bed and headed towards his room.

“Good night, Dray,” Harry said, getting under his covers.

“’night,” Draco said, leaving the room.

Severus walked over to Harry and kissed him on top of his head. “Get some sleep.”

“Good night, dad,” Harry said, his voice muffled by his pillow.

Later in the night, Harry woke up feeling antsy. The room was dark with a few lights burning casting long shadows. He didn’t feel this way while he was in the Infirmary, but now, he fear was creeping up his spine. He had to get out of this room.

Harry slid out of his bed, slipping his feet in his slippers. He reached for his glasses and silently walked out of his room. The hallway was a little brighter, but it still unnerved the boy. Slowly, Harry walked towards one of the other bedrooms. He regretted not knowing which one was his dad’s bedroom. Harry was just going to have to check all of them. The first room was the bathroom. The second was his dad’s laboratory. The simmering cauldrons didn’t help his nervousness. After quickly closing the door, Harry went to the next room. He saw a bed in the corner. It was darker than his room, but the small light from the hall shone on the bed, and Harry could see platinum blond hair. Draco.

Harry slowly walked over to the bed.

“Hey, Dray,” Harry whispered. “Dray.”

Draco stretched and turned over.

“Harry,” Draco said sleepily. “Harry, what’s the matter?”

“I can’t sleep,” Harry said softly. He bit his lip; he didn’t know how Draco would respond to that. Maybe he should have gone to his dad’s room. He should just apologize for waking Draco up and go back to bed.

Draco slid over in his bed and raised the edge of the cover. “Get in,” Draco said groggily.

Harry couldn’t believe what he heard. Draco was letting him in. Harry climbed in the bed.

“Thank you, Dray,” Harry said, laying down.

“It’s okay,” Draco said. “Try and get some sleep.”

Harry pulled the pillow closer to him. Sleep came easy.

___000___000___000

Severus got up. He wanted to check on Harry and Draco to see how they were doing. Walking into Draco’s room, Severus got a sweet surprise. Harry was in the bed with Draco. Severus walked over to the bed, lightly rubbing Harry on his back. Harry began to stretch.

“Morning, daddy,” Harry groaned.

“And how did you get here?” Severus asked.

“Too many shadows,” Harry said, sitting up.

“Morning, Uncle Sev,” Draco said, stretching.

“Dragon,” Severus said. “Decided to have a sleepover.”

Draco shrugged his shoulders, “It’s okay.” Draco slid out on the other side of the bed.

Draco left the room, heading to the bathroom.

Severus sat on the bed next to Harry.

“Harry, you said there were too many shadows.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, sliding out of the cover, sitting next to his dad. “I got scared last night.”

“What scared you?” Severus asked, wrapping his arms around Harry’s shoulders. He pulled Harry closer to his side.

“I don’t want that guy coming back,” Harry said. “And Uncle Vernon was so much worse this time. I didn’t like it.”

Severus picked Harry up and sat him on his lap, wrapping his arms around his son.

“You do know you’re safe here,” Severus said.

“Yeah,” Harry said, running his finger up and down Severus’ robe. “I don’t want to be a burden.”

“Why would you think you were being a burden? Even though it is not true,” Severus said, tightening his hold on his son.

“I had to come in here with Draco just to get some sleep,” Harry said.

“Do you feel unsafe here?” Severus asked, tilting his head so he could look at Harry.

“I don’t know,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulder. “I mean, I know no one can get in the castle, but I still have that feeling.”

“Did you feel like this when you were in the Infirmary?” Severus asked.

“No,” Harry said, shaking his head. “I don’t know why I feel like this.”

“You fell asleep when I told you and Dragon it was time to go to bed,” Severus said. “I even checked in on both of you before I went to sleep. So, something had to happen that made you antsy. Did you have a nightmare?”

“I don’t remember,” Harry said. “I just woke up and not really scared, but I didn’t want to be alone. I didn’t know which room was yours or Draco’s.”

“Were you trying to look for me?” Severus asked. It would break Severus’ heart if Harry was looking for him and he wasn’t there for his son.

“Well, no, not really,” Harry said. “I didn’t care which room I found. I just didn’t want to be alone. When I got in here, I thought if Draco didn’t wake up, I would find you.”

“Well, listen,” Severus said. “How about this. We can talk it over with Draco and see if we can combine your rooms. It can be temporary. Just until you are comfortable enough to be by yourself again.”

“You think Draco would go for that?” Harry asked.

“Go for what?” Draco asked, walking back into the room.

“Harry is wary of staying in the room by himself,” Severus said. “I suggest that we combine your rooms so that Harry is comfortable and can get some sleep.”

Draco shrugged his shoulders, “That’s fine with me.”

“Okay,” Severus said, looking down at Harry. Harry nodded. “Great. Let’s get ready so we can have breakfast.

Severus let Harry go so he could go to the bathroom.

___000___000___000

Gilderoy got up early this morning. He wanted to get an early start on setting up his room. Some of his portraits arrived the day before and he needed to find where he could put it so it will have the best lighting.

Walking down the curved stairs leaving his office, floating his prized portrait behind him, he looked around for the perfect spot. Seeing the details of the room, Gilderoy wanted everyone to see his beautiful face with his perfect smile from the front of the room. Lowering it in an angle off-center from the stairs, the opposite window had superlative light gleaming down. It didn’t cause a glare. His blond hair was immaculate. Perfect.

Now that the larger portrait was taken care of, it was time to arrange his smaller portraits. Gilderoy looked around to see if there were spots on the wall, he could place them. That’s when he got a better sight of the color of the wall.

“Well, this just won’t do,” Gilderoy said to himself.

Waving his wand, he changed the original cherry wood color to a lighter bronzed that would bring out his complexion and hair color. Even changing the color of the room, Lockhart didn’t want to sully his portraits against the walls. He conjured easels, placing them all around the room and placing his smaller portraits on them.

Satisfied with what he accomplished, Gilderoy decided it was time for breakfast. Not wanting to deal with the two brats and their bully of a guardian, Gilderoy decided to eat in his office.   

After breakfast, Gilderoy decided he needed to stretch his legs. Wanting to know more of the layout of the school, Gilderoy walked down several corridors. When the stairs would change, he would just let them steer him wherever it stopped. While walking down one corridor, he heard a faint sound of music. Knowing that there were very few people here and that this corridor was empty, Lockhart was curious as to who was playing the music.

Slowly walked down the corridor, his curiosity piqued. When he got toward the end of the hallway, the sound of music became louder. Gilderoy went to the door, trying to see if it opened. There was no resistance. Opening the door, the defense professor saw a three headed dog sleeping peacefully while a small harp played music.

Fascinating, Gilderoy thought. He did not want to wake the Cerberus up, so he quietly closed the door so as to not wake the beast. Maybe a walk outside seemed like a better idea.

Hagrid was tending to his gardening when Gilderoy was walking down the path.

“Good day, sir,” Gilderoy said.

Hagrid looked up and saw a man, looking too fancy to be walking on a dirty path.

“G’day,” Hagrid said, facing his company.

“I never got a chance to introduce myself,” Gilderoy said, smoothly. “Absentmindedness on my part. One I wish to rectify now.”

“No harm,” Hagrid said, waving him off. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“I’m to be the new Defense professor. Gilderoy Lockhart.” Gilderoy gave Hagrid one of his famous smiles.

“Grand,” Hagrid said. “We be needing a new professor after what happened last year.”

Gilderoy’s smile vanished. Last year?

“Pray tell, what happened last year?” Gilderoy asked.

“The professor was killed,” Hagrid said, shaking his head. “Terrible news. Just terrible.”

Killed! Just awful, Gilderoy thought.

“Well,” Gilderoy said. His voice was full of smugness. “It’s a good thing that I’m here. I can teach them the right way. I have so many victories. You should read my books.”

“Yes, well,” Hagrid said. “I need to continue.”

“Don’t let me stop you, my good man,” Gilderoy said. “I’ll leave you to your work.”

Gilderoy walked away, heading back towards the castle. On his way back, he saw the two terrors walking this way. He didn’t want to mess up his perfect day with those two hooligans, so he turned the other way.

___000___000___000

“I can’t believe you talked me into this.” Draco asked.

“It’s going to be fine,” Harry said. “Grandpa Albus said he boosted the warding around the school. And look,” Harry pointed towards the hut, “Hagrid’s outside.”

The two boys were walking down to Hagrid’s hut. Draco didn’t want to go since Harry just got back, but it was Harry’s idea. He still wanted to go see Fang, who they were going to see the day Harry’s was taken. Harry insisted they go. It took some massive pleading so that they could go.

“Fine,” Draco conceded. “But if anything goes wrong, we’ll turn back.”

“Everything’s going to be fine,” Harry said, rolling his eyes. “Come on.”

So, now, both boys were heading down to Hagrid’s hut. Draco decided to change the subject to ease his worry.

“Have you thought about who you’re going to invite?” Draco asked.

“Let’s wait until we get the okay to have this party,” Harry said. “I don’t want to get my hopes up and I can’t do it.”

“We are having this party,” Draco said with certainty.

Harry learned from a young age not to expect things to go in his favor. Even living with his dad and Draco, he didn’t put a lot of stock in it.

There was a strange feeling that creeped up the back of Harry’s spine. He felt like someone was watching him. Worried that someone was trying to take him again, he looked around.

“Harry,” Draco said. “Are you okay?”

Harry looked over and saw that he was being watched, but it wasn’t anyone he should worry about. The new Defense Professor was standing at the side of the castle.

“Yeah,” Harry said, sighing. “I thought it was something important.”

Draco followed Harry’s line of sight and chuckled to himself.

“Hey, Hagrid,” Harry called out.

“Harry. Draco,” Hagrid said. “Come on in.”

“Where’s Fang?” Harry asked.

“Inside,” Hagrid said, laying his tools down. “Come in, I’ll make us some tea.”

Draco and Harry rushed the last part of the way to the hut. Harry was a little slower than Draco, but just as enthusiastic.

When the hut door closed, Gilderoy walked back towards the pathway to the castle.

Those boys will get what’s coming to them. I will not be embarrassed or disrespected, Gilderoy fumed to himself.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3188