Coals of Fire by The Lonely God With A Box
Summary: When the saved hates the savior, magic demands justice and forms a slavery bond. Severus has saved Harry's life one too many times and the bond has formed, beyond anyone's power to dissolve.
Categories: Master Snape > Slave Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Rape, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Prompts: Slave
Challenges: Slave
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 37392 Read: 95986 Published: 16 Feb 2015 Updated: 17 Jul 2018
Where Angels Fear to Tread by The Lonely God With A Box

The next morning, Harry woke before Snape, as usual. But now, he didn't feel the urgent need to use the bathroom, and so he waited, resting, still feeling unusually tired as he lay in bed, his eyes closed. He let his mind wander through the previous day's events, mulling over everything that had happened, sorely disappointed that he'd missed an opportunity to die.

He didn't suppose that was really an option, though. He might be a slave, but he was still supposed to kill Voldemort, right? Well, Harry wondered why he should even try to save the world from Voldemort. It's not like the world gave two shits about him, did it? It wasn't like society actually had a human view of this horrible magic. Harry wasn't sure why he should care about a world that didn't care about him.

Then, Harry thought about his friends. The Weasleys. Hermione. Remus. Sirius. Neville, Luna, Seamus, and Dean. None of these people deserved to have to suffer just because the rest of society was corrupt, did they? Hermione and Remus would be killed. Perhaps the Weasleys and Sirius would be spared, because they were purebloods, but their existence would be just as miserable as Harry's was now. Or worse.

Harry had to admit that Snape was being mostly decent to him these last couple months. Snape hadn't raised his hand to him except when the bond demanded it - except when Harry asked to be freed from the bond's requirements, in fact. Snape fed him. Snape clothed him. Snape gave him a bed. Snape woke him from his nightmares. Snape played chess with him. Now, Snape tried to die for him. Harry didn't understand everything that happened, but he understood that Snape tried to kill himself, for Harry's sake. The last thing Harry wanted was another person dying for him, even Snape. He would much rather just die himself. Let someone else kill Voldemort. But that wasn't an option, and Harry knew it. But if Snape killed him, he certainly wasn't going to be the one to object.

Looking at his wrists, Harry saw that there were just light scars now where the cuts had been. Invisible, unless you were looking for them. Reaching to his face, Harry felt his cheek. It was sore and smarted when he touched it. It was probably blossoming into a beautiful bruise, Harry realized. He'd had to take a look in the mirror when he got up. Maybe it felt worse than it looked.

Without realizing it, Harry drifted into sleep again.


Severus woke, earlier than he usually did in the summer, and glanced at Harry's bed immediately. The boy was asleep, a giant bruise forming on his cheek from the night before. Quietly, Severus rose and undid the leash. Harry could get up whenever he pleased.

After his morning ablutions, Severus sat down for breakfast. He unfolded his the Prophet and began to sip at some coffee. In a few moments, he heard the soft patter of feet.

"Good morning, Harry," Severus said, glancing up from his paper through guarded lashes. "Have a seat."

"Morning," Harry replied, seeming skittish, but taking his seat. Food appeared in front of him. Pancakes and bacon, with a glass of orange juice. Severus didn't say anything until Harry had mostly finished his food.

"I'm sorry for last night's...escapades," Severus began. He let the paper rest in his lap, temporarily forgotten.

"That's okay, sir," Harry replied.

"I had no idea the bond would do that." Harry was silent. "Your father - he wasn't given to inflicting self-harm. That wasn't one of his particular vices. We never had reason to explore that aspect of the bond."

"That's frustrating," Harry said, his voice strained.

"As much for me as it is for you," Severus drawled. "It didn't go the way I'd planned. You would be free this morning if the bond hadn't restricted me."

"You could kill me now," Harry suggested, slightly cheerful.

"Hardly," Severus dismissed. "I can't kill you."

"Sure you can," Harry contradicted. "I'm your property, right? You can kill your property. It's okay. I won't mind."

"Let me clarify, then," Severus sighed. "The bond will let me kill you. But I can't kill you."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"I can barely manage to strike you when the bond is demanding it. You expect me to be able to take your life? It is beyond my ability. I would drop the knife, or the wand, or cut the rope, or pull your head from the bucket of water."

"You seem to have thought about it, at least," Harry observed. Severus shrugged.

"Not really. Standard executions." Harry nodded, a light going off.

"When you were with Voldemort?"

"Call him 'the Dark Lord,' if you would, please," Severus requested. "It's not an order."

"When you were with the Dark Lord?" Harry spat the name.

"Yes. But to the matter at hand. I cannot kill you. It is beyond my ability."

"You've killed other people, though. Why not me?" Severus winced.

"Yes, I've killed other people," he admitted. "Never a child."

"Oh," Harry said. "Can I kill myself?"

"No," Severus said. "The bond will stop you at the last minute, and then it will punish you mercilessly. I suggest you not try."

"Then I guess we're both stuck living unless someone else wants to kill you. No one else can kill me."

"I suppose."

"You tried, I gather?"

"Tried what?"

"Killing yourself."

"Mmm." Severus took a sip of his coffee.

"Is that a yes?" Harry asked, sounding more at ease than he had in awhile.

"Yes," Severus clarified.

"What happened?"

"I tried to drink poison. As the potion was about the cross my lips, I dropped the glass and it felt like I was put under the Cruciatus, but it wouldn't end, not until a further punishment was exacted. If you must know."

"Sorry," Harry apologized. "Didn't mean to pry." Severus shrugged.

"It makes you happier to know, I suppose?"

"I don't know that happier is the right word," Harry said. "Maybe less alone."

"I suppose I should try to make this as bearable as I can," Severus conceded. "It's a rather lonely state in life. I ask that you don't bring up my slavery to anyone."

"You mentioned last night," Harry said. "No one save the Headmaster, if he mentions it first. I'm not likely to forget."

"See that you don't," Severus grouched. "There are precious few people who were privy to that information when it was relevant and I don't want any more people knowing."

"I understand." He probably did. "Everyone will have to know about mine."

"I'm sorry."

"I know." They were silent for a few minutes. Severus picked his paper up and began to read again. Harry continued to pick at his food. "Will you tell me some stories?" Harry finally asked.

"What do you mean?" Severus snorted. "You want a bedtime story now?"

"I want to know about you," Harry swallowed nervously.

"What do you want to know?" Severus sipped his coffee again, and with a casual flick of his wand, he filled it up again. His eyes hadn't left the article, but he stopped reading. He was trying to give the impression of casual indifference and distraction. It probably wasn't working.

"How did it happen?"

"It's no secret that I hated your father," Severus began. Maybe the casual facade would work after all. "You know that he saved my life in the Shack. That's when it began."

"How did you find out?"

"He was a pureblood and I am a halfblood. We both knew what the magic was when we felt it."

"And what did you do?" Was Harry never going to get the hint? He didn't want to answer.

"We went to the Headmaster and explained the situation to him. He guided us through some preliminary explanations and research, like the brand and the collar."

"So the Headmaster knows, then," Harry observed.

"Obviously," Severus drawled. Sip.

"How many other people found out? Did my mum know?"

"Your dogfather and the wolf knew." Severus' voice dripped acid as he spat the word "dogfather." "I don't think your mother knew. I hope she didn't. She wouldn't have approved of your father's actions."

"Being cruel to you, you mean?"

"Yes, and of even being in that position in the first place. Like Miss Granger, also a Muggleborn, they are more likely to blame the master than the slave."

"How did he hide you?"

"Gave me to your dogfather when I was inconvenient for him." A long gulp. It burned his throat, but he didn't care. Harry was quiet for a moment.

"How was that?" he asked quietly.

"I'd rather not talk about it," Severus said quickly. "It's one thing to defame the dead. You never knew your father, and I wouldn't be interfering with a relationship you have. If I tell you what transpired while I was in Black's care, it would necessarily alter your view of him. I don't think you need to be drawn into our quarrels."

"So, he wasn't very considerate," Harry guessed. Severus bit back a derisive snort. It sounded like a strangled sob, but Harry didn't call him out on it.

"His care of me left much to be desired," Severus admitted. "Don't rush where angels fear to tread, Harry. These are not matters you should know about. I don't wish to speak of them, and it would only cause problems between you and him."

"There're already going to be problems," Harry said. "If he didn't treat you right, what's he going to think of me?"


"Are you sure this is a good idea, Albus?" Severus asked. They could still back out now if they wanted. It wasn't too late.

"Do you have a better idea?" Albus challenged. "I don't like this any more than you do. It's not like making an announcement at the welcoming feast is going to be the wisest move, and you know it."

"I'll have to give up my position as a spy, if he ever comes back," Severus pointed out.

"We've gone over this," Albus sighed. "You are welcome to all the protection Hogwarts offers you and Harry."


"So," the female reporter began, settling down in a chair opposite Albus and Severus. "What was it that you wanted to have an interview about?" Severus cleared his throat, but deferred to Albus.

"There have been some startling developments this summer," Albus began calming, the usual twinkle in his eyes gone. "It is important that everyone know what has happened."

"Please, do tell me about them."

"Severus?" Albus said. Fine. Give him the hard question. Or, not a question, but rather an invitation to explain what was even going on.

"According to the ancient bonding magic," Severus began, "Mister Harry Potter has been bound to me as my slave." It was a sentence he'd rehearsed in his head hundreds of times. The reporter dropped her quill. She looked at Albus.

"It's true," he confirmed. "It is unfortunate that this had to happen. As was established at the trials after Voldemort's fall, Severus was a spy for me, and should there ever be a resurgence of the Death Eaters, his position as a spy will be far too compromised for him to ever infiltrate again."

"So, Professor Snape will be taking care of Harry Potter then?"

"Yes, of course," Albus said.

"No, I mean taking care of him," the reporter clarified. "I mean good care. This is the Boy-Who-Lived, after all."

"Professor Snape has the authority to give whatever care he wishes to Harry," Albus said, "but I'm sure he is doing his best by the boy." The reporter threw Severus a dark look.

"Headmaster, how do you know that he is?"

"Severus is a good man," Albus smiled, the twinkle returning.

"I think I have enough for a story," the reporter announced. She was very pale.


"What is the meaning of this?" Minerva screamed, throwing the morning paper at Severus' face. "Why didn't I know before this?"

"I'm sorry," Severus replied, catching the paper. "By the way, Harry will be sleeping here during the school year, not the dorms. So don't worry at his absence."

"Now you tell me?" she shrieked. "He's one of my students."

"He's one of mine too!" Severus shouted back.

"You never cared about him!" she screamed, pointing a determined finger into his chest, causing him to back up a few steps. The Deputy Headmistress could be almost as intimidating as he was when she was angry. Severus was sure Harry was listening from the other room.

"That's not true!" he yelled back.

"Are you even going to let him attend school?"

"Of course! I'm trying to make this as normal for him as possible, and I'm failing miserably! It doesn't mean I'm not trying."

"See that you don't hurt him," Minerva growled at him. "It's unfortunate that this had to happen. I don't think you should make him suffer excessively. And I don't trust you."

"I've been a spy for many years, you know that."

"I trust that," Minerva spat. "It would be nice if you gave him the care that most people give their pets, rather than a slave."

"I'm going to treat him like a person, as much as I can," Severus snapped. "You ask for him to be treated like a pet, when you should be asking for him to be treated like a person." Minerva looked a bit startled.

"A person?" she questioned.

"Well? What do you think he is?"

"A slave, now. Legally, he's property."

"Legally," Severus repeated. "And the law is wrong. You can't take someone's humanity from him. That's not how it works. He still has feelings, even if the law says he doesn't. You can't change reality just by legislating it. He's still a little boy, and he's scared."


"Severus," the fireplace called.

"What do you want now?"

"Sirius Black wishes to come through," Albus replied.

"No," Severus replied without thinking about it. "I never want to see him again. You know that."

"It's about Harry."

"I don't care."

"I think he has a right to see Harry and speak to you about this," Albus said. "He is the boy's godfather after all."

"Will I have to see him? Yes. Now go. I don't wish to interact with him."

"Severus, let him come through."

"Yes, sir," Severus relented. He knew that tone. That was the "You - are - my - employee - and - don't - forget - that - I - kept - you - out - of - Azkaban" voice. The floo flared to life. Severus turned away and clasped his hands behind his back.

"Severus," a voice called.

"Why are you here?" Severus spat savagely, glaring at Sirius. "What do you want? Haven't you done enough?"

"I want to see Harry," Sirius said.

"Potter, get over here!" Severus hollered. Harry came running from the other end of the chambers. He saw Sirius, and smiled nervously.

"Hi," he said, fidgeting.

"Hi, pup," Sirius smiled back. He dropped to one knee and opened his arms for a hug. Harry's smiled widened and he rushed to Sirius, embracing him fiercely. "You look well fed."

"I am," Harry said. He backed away from Sirius, but the man held Harry's hands still. "It's not so bad, I suppose." The boy looked nervous. Maybe he was thinking about Severus' bond. Sirius inspected the collar.

"Huh," he grunted. "I see Snape made you take the collar and the brand?"

"I chose it," Harry said.

"He let you have a choice?"

"Yes."

"Are you satisfied that I haven't flayed him alive?" Severus cut in, his voice dripping sarcasm. "While this scene is very touching, I don't think my stomach can take any more of the syrupy sweetness."

"Determined to make sure he doesn't say too much?" Sirius spat.

"Harry, leave."

"Oh, it's Harry now, is it?" Sirius challenged darkly. Severus stiffened at the unspoken accusation. After slipping his hands from Sirius', Harry waved nervously at his godfather.

"Bye," he said, and left. Sirius rose quickly and rushed Severus, who backed up a pace, his eyes going momentarily wide.

"If I hear you're harming the boy, I'll - " Sirius cut himself off.

"You'll what?" Severus sneered, eyes narrowing. "You can't touch me anymore. You can't hurt me."

"What are you doing to Harry?" Sirius demanded. A wicked smile crossed Severus' face as an idea occurred to him. Just because he didn't want to exact his revenge on Harry didn't mean that he didn't want revenge. Refusing to allow Sirius to be in such close proximity, Severus began pacing around the room like a caged animal.

"Oh, everything you did to me," he said casually. Sirius glowered, and then went pale.

"Everything?" he asked. Severus smiled. It was a ghastly sight.

"I have a right, don't I?"

"But he's just a child!"

"So was I!"

"You were not!"

"Sixteen is hardly an adult!"

"Look, what do you want from me, Snape?" Sirius bellowed. "You want me to apologize to you? Want me to say I'm sorry?"

"I know you're not," Severus replied, his voice dangerously quiet. "Don't insult me. Back to 'Snape,' now, are we? What happened to our first name basis? The one you forced me to use, even late at night?"

"I don't want to see Harry put through that."

"Put through what?" Severus replied, his lips drawn in a straight line, challenging Sirius.

"Everything."

"What? What everything? Say it."

"No."

"Then I will," Severus ground out. "I beat him on a regular basis. You saw that bruise? Yeah, that was me. I did that to him. Because I felt like it."

"But you feed him apparently," Sirius cut in.

"I don't like a skinny whore," Severus hissed. "Unlike some people."

"Snape, you wouldn't..." Sirius said, looking pale.

"Didn't stop you, did it?" Severus shouted back, losing his loose grip on his self control. "You showed me no mercy, Sirius! You beat me, you raped me, you starved me! What didn't you do to me? You made James look like a kind master! Now what sort of a master do you expect me to become? Whose example do you think I should follow? A master I never had? They say karma's a bitch, Sirius, and now she's bitching."

"You don't have to punish Harry for what I did to you!" Sirius bellowed back. "Harry didn't do it! Harry isn't James, and Harry isn't me!"

"I can't get any revenge on James," Severus pointed out. "And this is my revenge on you. Imagine what horrors your godson is suffering at my hand. It wouldn't have been necessary if you had acted differently. You are responsible for this."

"You're as perverted as your reputation," Sirius spat.

"Oh, yes," Severus agreed silkily. Sirius' expression was priceless. This was worth every word, and Severus was going to enjoy torturing the mutt. "Do you want to know the details? Do you want to know how I hold him down every night? How I order him to cooperate with me, or the bond takes over and punishes him? How I order him to gasp and moan under me, and enjoy it? How I make him suck me off? I could keep going for hours. He's quite skilled you know. I passed on all the things you showed me. And you know what? He's got nothing to complain about. I try to make it pleasant for him. I'm considerate, I believe, is the word you used."

"We're not talking about Harry anymore," Sirius said hollowly. "You're talking about yourself."

"Oh, rest assured, I'm incapable of doing everything you did to me," Severus continued, rage boiling away any self-restraint he may have had. "I'm not an animagus. I can't turn into a dog."

"That doesn't comfort me any!"

"It shouldn't!"

"You can't do this!"

"I can! The law can't stop me. There is nothing stopping me from fucking him raw every night and then beating him occasionally in between. There's nothing stopping me from torturing him, mentally, physically, sexually, all I want. You taught me that. This is the chickens coming home to roost, Black, and you don't like them!"

"You're a sadistic bastard."

"It takes one to know one." They were quiet for a moment. Severus was breathing heavily.

"What can I do to convince you to treat Harry better?" Sirius swallowed. "I'll do anything you want. Anything."

"There is nothing you can do," Severus replied through clenched teeth. "You've already done plenty." Severus glanced over to the doorway and remembered that the two of them weren't alone in the chambers.

Damn it! Severus had entirely forgotten that Harry was even nearby, and they had been shouting at each other for some time. Even when they weren't yelling, their voices would have carried. How much had Harry heard? The boy could probably hear their words echoing everywhere. After all, Harry had heard him call earlier when he was studying on his bed.

"You. Leave. Now," Severus said. "You've seen him. You've had your questions answered. Leave my sight."

"Why, so you can 'fuck him raw'?" Sirius sneered.

"Get. Out. Now. This is none of your concern. Never ask to come here again." With that Severus handed him the bowl of floo powder, and Sirius disappeared in a poof of green. Severus rushed to the bedroom, and saw Harry sitting on his bed, absolutely still, staring ahead of him.

"I can explain," Severus began.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3190