A Chance at Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: When an accident in potions causes imaginable damage to 3 different boys, perceptions start to change. One in particular of a dark and stern man, as truths start to come to light. How does one heal and move on from something like this? Who is left the task of picking up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Neville, Pomfrey, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 139081 Read: 159848 Published: 23 Feb 2015 Updated: 19 Mar 2020
Chapter 11 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I wrote this in two hours, it is off the press and I'm going to be after this. It might have more mistakes then usual, just point out the obvious ones and I'll go back and check when I'm rested up. Thanks!

Severus took a step back from the tree to watch all three of the boys decorating at once. He knew that they wouldn't fall, the wards around the stools made sure of that, not to mention Albus and Lupin were still within distance. He smiled softly to himself as he turned to dig into the small backpack on the sofa. He startled slightly when he realized that Albus was now next to him.

"What are you looking for?" The old man asked curiously.

"I have muggle camera somewhere in here, and I need to take some pictures of the boys. I want them to remember this, to know that they meant something," he said quietly.

"We can make a trip into Diagon Alley tomorrow and buy a magical one as well. I know that the alley is very pretty and magical this time of year. The boys would love it," Albus told him carefully.

"It would be risky though, no one aside from Poppy knows who those little boys are. That being said even without his trademark glasses Harry resembles a Potter and there is no mistaking who sired Draco," Severus pointed out seeing the flaw in that plan.

"They will just have to be glamoured then or take a small altering potion, this is something I want all of you to experience. You won't ever forget something like this," Albus promised him.

Severus nodded knowing when he was beat. "Alright," he replied with a nod before he pulled out the camera.

"Severus when you get some time, I would like to finish our previous conversation," Albus added softly as he passed him and made his way back to the tree.

Severus frowned he had no intention of getting back to that conversation; he had a moment of weakness and let his heart get away from him. He hadn't meant for Albus to realize how much the man had hurt him all those years. For a Slytherin to acknowledge that someone's actions had hurt you, you gave them the tools to hurt you even further.

He knew logically that Albus wouldn't do that, but the old man had a way of making him do things he had no intention of doing. Take the boys for example he hadn't wanted to take them, and even though he was glad he did, he just wished he had of been able to fully make the choice of it. He wouldn't dwell on it as everything had worked out and quickly turned to start snapping pictures of the boys decorating the tree. He made sure to keep his thoughts clear wanting to hear what the boys were saying.

"Awe you haffing fun Harry?" Draco asked with a giggle as he had stumbled off the stool only for magic to catch him and bring him back to the stool.

"I am, I wike decowating," Harry nodded happily as he reached down to grab another ornament. "Awe you Nebille?"

Neville gave a small smile before he nodded. "This is gweat, at home Gwan only lets me decorate the bottom part of the twee. She thinks if I was on a stool I would fall because I'm clumsy," he admitted.

Dwaco frowned at that as he turned to face his friend. "What do you mean you awe clumsy? You haven't falled since we've been here," he pointed out.

"Its cause at home Gwan is always waiting for me to mess up, here no one does that so I can welax a little bit," Neville replied softly.

"Dat's...not nice," Harry replied softly, even as he knew how that was like. He didn't want his friend to feel bad for admitting something so he felt he could do the same in return. He swallowed softly before he gave a weak smile. "Aunt Pet'nia wacks me with the pans sometimes when Dudley messes up Somefing and blames it on me," he rushed out softly.

"Dat's really not nice, he doesn't get in twouble?" Draco asked with a frown.

"No he's doesn't evew get in twouble, only Hawwy does. Hawwy da fweak," the little boy replied sadly, as he had a minor relapse in words.

"No buddy, you're not a freak, they are the freaks. They had no right to call you that," Severus replied swiftly as he ruffled the child's hair reminding him that he was still there.

Albus popped a lemon drop in his mouth, grateful that Severus had doused this batch in calming draught. He was still gathering evidence from the Dursely family but he knew their days of freedom were limited.

Severus didn't allow the dark thoughts to take forth, and when Lupin went forward to hug Harry he turned to his mentor and gestured for him to back up slightly so they could talk.

"When do the Durselys go to court?" Severus asked quietly.

"Soon, somewhere between after Christmas and before New Years," Albus replied honestly.

"What's going to happen to Harry?" Severus asked softly,

"You currently have guardianship of him," Albus replied smoothly.

"For when he's this age I know this, but I mean after he's deaged back," The Potion's Master clarified.

"It's still you, that hasn't changed," Albus grinned.

"That's not funny Albus, how did you even swing that?" Severus asked with a frown.

"You are the better choice, Sirius is not a good choice, he's still in recovery and Amelia Bones has already informed him he will not be the guardian of Harry. There is no way that he is fit to raise a child," Albus admitted.

"How did you swing a former Death Eater to have guardianship of the boy-who-lived?" Severus asked dryly.

"Things have been set in motion Severus, ever since the accident in potions. I have gathered pensive testimony from Harry's first and second year and regarding Voldemort's return. I showed the memories to Amelia, Alastor and Kingsley, and by New Years day we will be having a new Minister," Albus said with a sly smirk.

Severus could only stare in disbelief at the old man, a lot of things had indeed been set in motion, and he was just only now aware of it? He was a spy for Merlin's sake! "I can't believe this," he breathed out softly.

"It's happening, and it only helps that Lucius is in Switzerland at the moment. Without his greedy little fingers in every department Amelia and Alastor have been cleaning house," he added.

Shaking his head the dour man gave a small smirk. "They won't know what hit them," he grinned at the obviously Slytherin idea.

"That is the plan," Albus replied as he gave the younger man a fond smile. He turned to head back to the boys to see how they were progressing on the tree.

 

~&~&~&~Page Break~&~&~&~&~&

Severus held in a yawn as he tucked Neville into bed later on that night, the day had been long and tomorrow would apparently be just as long.  He shook his head as he held in another yawn, unable to believe that it was only just 8:00pm, if he kept this up he would need to take a energy potion and that's the last thing he wanted to do. Albus wanted them all to experience Diagon Alley decked out in the holiday season. He admitted it would be nice to see, only because he knew that his charges would enjoy it.

He kissed the child goodnight and glanced down at him to find the boy looking at him with his knowing eyes. "Did you have a good time with me today?"

Neville nodded solemnly as he looked over at Harry and back at the man. He knew that Harry needed this too and while Remus was a fill in no one could quite understand them like Severus could. "I wish there was two of you," he admitted sadly.

"Oh, can't get enough of me?" Severus teased playfully not liking the tone of the child.

"There's not enough of you to go around between me and Harry," Neville replied softly.

"My heart is big enough for all you child, make no mistake about that," Severus promised him Albus's words coming back into play from earlier.

"I know," Neville said with a shrug. "Awe you gonna switch us up tomorrow?" The little boy wanted to know.

"We are, Albus is going to Harry and Remus is going to have Draco," Severus said, though inwardly he was wondering how his godson was going to act with that. He was waiting for the other shoe to drop as Draco was a spoiled but lovable child and he had been compliant for the last week and he knew that wouldn't last.

Neville's eyes widened and he shook his head so hard he got a small headache. "No, you can't put Dwaco wiff Remus," he cautioned.

"Why not?" Severus asked carefully wondering if Neville saw something they had clearly missed.

"Remus hates Dwaco's daddy, I felt the anger when Gwanpa Albus said his name today. You can't put him with the man, he won't be able to tell the difference between Dwaco and his daddy," Neville said sadly.

That brought Severus up with a jolt as that had been him for the last few years regarding Harry. He hadn't been able to tell where James ended and where Harry started. He didn't want his godson to have to experience that, and he swallowed thickly at the mistake they had almost mad.

"What shall I do with him?" Severus murmured to himself.

"Keep him with Gwanpa Albus, that way he can heal more," Neville said smartly as he glanced in the direction of the old man and the child. He could feel it every day that the old man got a little bit better.

"Is something wrong with Albus? You've brought this up a few times and each time, all it does it worry me. Should I be worried about Albus's health?" Severus asked thickly, as his brain thought on the old man being ill, he couldn't imagine a world where Albus didn't exist in. It was unthinkable, no matter how had odds he felt at the man; Albus was that one constant in his life.

Neville's eyes widen and quickly reached out to touch his guardian. He felt like crying once he got a brief glimpse of the man's emotions. Maybe he shouldn't keep the man in the dark, as long as the potion's master could keep a secret he figured it would be okay...maybe.

"He's okay, he's just really lonely and sad," Neville added quietly.

"What do you mean?" Severus prodded gently.

"Maybe you should spell us, so they can't hear us," Neville suggested with a sigh.

Severus quirked an eyebrow at the request but did as the child asked. He was just happy the boy was finally giving him some answers. Neville could be just as cryptic as Albus when he wanted to be.

"What are you trying to tell me?" Severus asked, wanting to get directly to it.

"Gwanpa Albus only has his brother left in this world as family, and he's delighted that we call him that," the little boy replied promptly.

"I know that," the Potion's master replied slowly.

"He used to haff a sister but she died when she was younger, and now he has a pain in his heart from where she used to be. The ache from that will never been fully fixed but Draco, helps its to where it's almost gone," Neville said as he swiped his hand over his eyes. They had watered as he had actively sought out the emotions of the old man, and they hurt his little heart. And while they weren't as heavy the first day, they still were enough to bring him to tears. He knew his Gwanpa Albus of all people shouldn't feel like this.

Severus turned to look at Albus who was tucking his godson in, looking at the man in a new light. He was trying to see the sadness that the man had masterfully hidden from the world.

"He's good at hiding his emotions, but sometimes he slips up but when he's with Draco he's lighter. You can't take that away fwom him," he told the man seriously.

The potion's Master nodded, as lump stuck in his throat. How Albus must have been hurting and with no one to lean on? At least his godson was helping him, without the tot being aware of it, it seemed.

"You can't tell him, or anyone. People don't like it when their feelings are thwown in their face," Neville said as his hand instinctively went up to cup his own cheek.

Severus's eyes darken at the implication of that little gesture. "It doesn't matter if I don't like what you tell me, I will never hit you," he reminded the child.

"I know I was just ‘membering something," Neville said softly before he grabbed his lion and hugged it too his chest.

"I will do my best to make sure that whoever hurt you will not be able to do it anymore," he promised the child. "And I keep my promise," he added.

Neville giggled happily as he gave a shy nod. He knew that, but didn't comment on it. He watched at the man dispelled the silencing ward before he made his way to Harry. Neville was trying to think of a new plan, one that involved Severus and Harry. He could feel the elation coming from Harry as Severus ruffled his hair. That was the best medicine Harry could ever have. He knew that Remus loved Harry just as much but Harry needed Severus like he needed air. You couldn't deprive the touch starved child of that, and Remus needed to see that.

Neville laughed as he felt Harry's happiness warm up his own heart, replacing the sad feelings from before. He closed his eyes, allowing himself to drift off to peaceful dreams.

Meanwhile Harry was grinning as his daddy had pulled out a book and was going to read to him. He loved the wizarding child books, he liked that the pictures move. He was such an easy child to please. Harry rested his head in his father's lap, and closed his eyes. He wasn't sure when he fell asleep, as the last thing he remembered was his father's voice reading his story book.

Severus carefully stood up and tucked Harry under the cover once the child fell asleep before he headed over to his godson. The little blonde boy was nearly on his way asleep, but he still place a kiss on the child's hair.

"I will see you tomorrow Dragon," he told the boy softly as he followed Albus out the room. He made sure the monitoring charms were set on each boy and on the room as a whole before he spelled the lights off. Each little boy had a small thing of fairy lights lighting up their bed, so the dark wasn't so overwhelming.  He nodded to himself before he closed the door behind him as he headed back downstairs to where his companions were. He got down there just as soon as Albus was reaching for the floo and he frowned.

"Where are you going?" Severus asked softly.

"Back to my office, I need to go over a few things regarding the wards at the castle," Albus replied honestly.

"Tomorrow then, I want you to stay here with us, I think the boys would love it if they knew you were staying here too," Severus told him seriously. He had taken what the child had said to him at heart. He wanted Albus to know in his own way that Severus was here for him. That Severus would be his family if the man wanted it. Regardless of the mistakes that Albus had made the man was only human, and he had seen him as a father more than his own, as Tobias was an abusive bastard.

Albus blinked in disbelief as he looked back at Severus, swallowing thickly as he saw the emotions in the normally unexpressive eyes. He was touched and he gave a small nod, speechless at the moment wondering what brought it on.

"I will be back in the morning, about 10?" Albus asked when he was finally able to speak.

"That's fine, if you want to come earlier and join us for breakfast that would be even better. I need your help regarding our mysterious breakfast cooker," Severus said with a grin.

Albus gave him a confused look as that made no sense. "Pardon?"

"He means that Harry is cooking breakfast and we haven't figured out how the child is doing it," Remus added his two cents in.

Albus grinned outright at that and gave a nod. "I'll be here at 8 then," he promised before he disappeared in the green flames.

Severus nodded, turning when the old man had left to face the wolf. "I'm going to be in my lab, breaking down the components in their potion. So it would be great if you can stay within hearing distance of them, as the monitoring wards are charmed to the bedrooms and the toilet upstairs," he informed him.

Remus nodded that was fine with him, he only planned on grabbing a book and retiring too his room either way.

"Alright, good night Severus," Remus told the man as he turned and headed upstairs,

Severus turned and headed down the basement to his lab.

~&~&~&~Line Break~&&~&~&~&

Silence descended on the occupants of the manor for the next few hours, as the boys slept and their guardians enjoyed a moment of alone time. It was just after 11:00pm when the occupants found the quietness of the manor being demolished when a sharp shriek suddenly pierced the air.

Remus sat up in his bed he winced, he had been reading a book and had only just dozed off only for that scream as well as the alarm monitoring the children in his room went off. He waved his wand and hurried out of his room and towards the children's room. He was surprised that Severus wasn't already here, only to remember that the man was probably still in his lab. He winced as another scream penetrated the silence once more and he was able to distinguish with child it was.

His heart thudded into overtime as he pushed open the door, his cub was in trouble! Remus did a quick survey around the room to find nothing out of the ordinary only to see his godson reaching his arms out to air as he screamed in his sleep once more. He pocketed his wand and hurried over to the child's bed, quickly picking him up and rocking him in his arms.

"Harry cub, come on wake up for me," he pleaded as he gently shook the child. Remus breathed a sigh of relief as he saw the child's brilliant green eyes lock with him. He could see the anguish in those orbs and wanted nothing more but to take the child's pain away anyway he could.

"Sev'wus, I want Sev'wus," Harry pleaded out hoarsely once he was able to catch his breath. He knew that Remus had him and though he felt okay now that he was awake he wanted to be safe again. That had been a frightening dream and he never wanted to have it again.

Remus refused to admit it that a piece of his heart broke at the child's plea regarding his companion, but he made no motion to get Severus. He knew the man was all the way in his lab which he wasn't even sure where it was. That being said he didn't want to get Severus he wanted to be the one to comfort Harry from a nightmare.

"I'm here Harry, you're safe now," Remus replied over and over in a soothing tone so the child would hopefully calm down.

"Please, I want Sev'wus, I want my daddy, pwease!" Harry whimpered out sadly. He didn't understand why Remus wasn't getting the man, this was a serious issue. The longer he realized that the man wasn't making any move to his get his protector Harry broke out into sobs once more. He clung to the man only because he needed comfort even though his comfort at this point would only be coming from a man whose clothes constantly smelled of stale potions.

Unknown to Remus and Harry for that matter, the other boys had also woken up after Harry's scream. It was kind of hard to sleep through that type of noise and as a result Draco was frowning as he tried to catch Neville's eyes. He didn't know what to do, he knew Harry needed his godfather but Remus wasn't calling for him. He swallowed anxiously before he got out of his bed and quietly made his way to Neville's.

"What do I do?" He whimpered out sadly, all ready to start crying himself. Harry sounded so sad and he couldn't even feel what Neville felt. Speaking of which his friend seemed almost frozen in the bed, why hadn't he gotten up already? As he got closer Draco was aware that Neville was trying hard not to cry too.

"Get the Professor," Neville whispered out harshly. Harry's emotions were raging at him, and though Remus was trying he wasn't what Harry needed, what any of them needed right now. It was an onslaught of emotions suddenly rushing at him and unless he wanted to release some magic it would never stop, they needed help!

Draco nodded as he looked from both his friends fearfully, trying to think where his godfather might before. He slapped himself on the head as he realized something and quickly snapped his fingers for a house.

"Little Master called for Twinkle?" The house elf stated before turning to the source of the noise and gasping.

"Tell my godfather Hawwy needs him fast," Draco told the elf tearfully watching as the elf gave a nod before disappearing. He headed back over to his own bed, feeling suddenly cold as watched Harry. He felt as powerless as Neville felt, and he buried his face in his knees.

~&~&~&~&~Line Break~&~~&~&~&

Down in the lab Severus had been just wrapping up on his progress. He knew he needed to get to bed as the boys were going to be up early and as an extension that would mean him. He was just setting some cauldrons in the sink when one of his elves popped into his lab informing him of what was going on upstairs. He dropped the cauldron and after casting a Scourgify on himself he ran out of his lab and up the stairs.

Back in the room, Harry's sobs only seem to get louder, and which each cry Neville winced. The little Empath was curled up in a ball on his bed, with his hands pressed over his ears as if that would block it out. He knew it was easier if he didn't have to hear it, he wasn't even sure what happened to Draco only that Severus needed to get here soon before his magic exploded. He didn't have to wait long as soon as the thought crossed his mind the man in question pushed his way through the room.

"Harry," Severus breathed out as he strode across the room, and plucked the child from Remus's arms. He was surprised that the wolf didn't give him any resistance. He simply focused his attention on the child and hugged him tight to his chest, hoping that the boy hadn't been calling for him long. He had never wanted Harry to wait on him.

Remus frowned as his cup was pulled from him even as he know that he was probably doing more harm them good. He couldn't help the hurt that he felt. He turned to look at the other children, looking on in confusion as Neville was curled up on the bed like he was pain. He headed for the child only to stop suddenly, knowing that his emotions were out of whack, and he probably wasn't the best person to help the boy right now. He made his way to the little blonde Slytherin's bed and took a seat. He couldn't bear to watch Severus right now.

"Are you alright Draco?" Remus asked softly.

"No, I wish my Gwanpa Albus was here wiff me," the little blonde tot replied sadly.

"What's the matter buddy?" Remus asked curiously.

"Hawwy is so sad, it huwts me," he admitted tearfully. He buried his face back in his knees wishing his own guardian was here he could do with some cuddles, and he hoped his godfather would give him some when he was through with Harry.

Remus doesn't offer the boy comfort feeling like the child won't take it from him, he had no other option but to turn his gaze back to Severus and Harry. He feels something coil unpleasantly in his stomach as he watch them interact, he can't hear them so he has to assume that Severus has spelled something. That's fine, the only thing that is fine is the sudden emotion he is aware of and frowns at the sudden thought.

He shakes his head as he scoffs at himself before his eyes lock on Neville who had come out of his defensive position and was giving him a knowing look. He felt ashamed at that moment, as he realized his previous actions and what they meant. He had been pushing Harry away from someone who clearly had his best interests at heart in favor of wanting to get closer to the child because he was his best friend's son. He gasps softly as the emotion suddenly is identified and he shakes his head again.

"What is it?" Draco asked after the man continues to shake his head.

Remus sighed softly before he gave a small shrug. He honestly had nothing to lose to tell the child. And he needed to admit it to someone, since he was having trouble admitting it to himself. "I'm jealous of the bond that Harry has with Severus, I love that little boy just as much as your godfather but Harry doesn't want me," he said softly, ignoring the stinging in the back of his eyes.

Draco's eyes narrowed at that statement before he shook his own head. "Dats not true, you can haff a lot of people to love if you want, and that's even better cause den you haff a lot of people who love you in return. Hawwy loves you too, he just needs Sebbus more then you," he said smartly before he turned to give the man a hug. He couldn't sense things like Neville could, but he could tell when someone needed a hug. He was worried for maybe two seconds that the man wouldn't hug him back but when his hug was returned his laid his head on the man's shoulder, allowing some of his worries to seep away.

Meanwhile Severus had managed to calm Harry down, only to frown as he hadn't been able to get anything out of the sleepy child before he fell asleep. Hopefully tomorrow they would have some answers. He laid the boy back in his bed before he made his way to Neville's bed, he could see his godson cuddled up to the wolf of all people and he knew tomorrow would definitely have some explanations.

"Neville, are you alright would you like a potion?" Severus asked as he pulled the child in his lap. It was obvious the boy was in pain, he just hadn't been able to help them both at the same time.

"Yes, Harry was really hurting," he whispered out softly as he watched the man pull some potions from his robe pockets.

"I'm sorry about that, do you know what happened?" Severus asked as he doled out a child size serving and held up the numbing potion to the boy's lips.

"He had a nightmare I fink, and then he screamed for you but Remus didn't get you," Neville admitted. "It hurt a lot I couldn't help Harry cause it hurt me," he added shamefully.

"That is nothing to be ashamed about, if anything I should have spelled your sleeping area to shield their emotions from you," Severus reassured him before he frowned. "What was that bit about Lupin?"

"Harry cried for you first, but Remus didn't get you. He wanted to help Harry himself," he explained.

Severus swallowed down some rage at Harry's unnecessary suffering because of the wolf's stubbornness, what the hell had possessed the man to do something like that? He frowned as he remembered one of his elves had gotten his attention. "Who called the elf?"

"Dwaco did," Neville replied proudly.

Severus turned towards his godson once more but the little boy look on his way asleep again. He would need to speak with the child, and definitely reward that behavior. His god kid had a good head on his shoulders once Lucius wasn't a part of his life. That being said he turned back to the child on his lap.

"Do you think you can go back to sleep? I'll shield your sleeping quarters as well," Severus replied.

Neville gave a small nod as he hugged the man tightly.

He gave the child some more comfort before he laid him down on his bed and tucked him in.  "I love you as well little one, don't ever doubt it," Severus wanted him to know.

Neville grinned brightly as he nodded. "I know, I love you too Uncle Sev'us," he stated sleepily.

Severus grinned as he turned to head to his godson, he was surprised to see that the wolf was gone, but that was just as well. He didn't want to get into an argument this late. He shielded the child's bed before he made his way to his godson's bed and ruffled the sleepy tot's hair.

"You did good my dragon, I'm so proud of you," he whispered out.

Draco grinned brightly despite his tiredness. "Tomorrow I get a tweat," he said firmly.

"That you do my dragon, that you do," Severus laughed as turned off the lights and headed out the room and into his. Tomorrow he knew would be proving to be a long day indeed.

The End.
End Notes:
Hope you guys liked it, Happy Holidays!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3194