A Chance at Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: When an accident in potions causes imaginable damage to 3 different boys, perceptions start to change. One in particular of a dark and stern man, as truths start to come to light. How does one heal and move on from something like this? Who is left the task of picking up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Neville, Pomfrey, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 139081 Read: 160367 Published: 23 Feb 2015 Updated: 19 Mar 2020
Chapter 15 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I am sorry guys. I have no idea what the heck happened with this chapter. I was blissfully writing chapter 16 and 17 when I got a messaged asking if I was okay lol. My bad my computer had me thinking I had posted this when I did.

Beware this chapter is angsty and its the Christmas chapter the best I could do in the summer and October. There will be flashback scenes because I have some cute ones lol

Sirius makes his appearance and did I mention angst?

*Flashbacks*

 

Severus followed quickly after the wolf, with Neville securely in his arms, as he didn't want to drop the child. He was worried beyond belief not to mention beating himself over the fact that he hadn't done anything to reassure his child. Draco might have been his godson but the boy had two parents who loved and cared for him as it was.

Harry was going to be his child and he knew that the green eyed child was going to come first always and forever. He prayed to every entity that he would find the boy, and hoped with all his heart that the boy had chosen to seek refuge in a wayward part of his Manor. But as he saw the wolf make a sharp turn to the right he closed his eyes, he knew this corridor.

"He's outside, his scent is very faint here," Remus remarked quietly taking that moment to spell a warming charm on Neville. He could withstand some cold and he didn't want to take precious time from looking for Harry.

"I know, I hope he managed to make it to the shed," Severus breathed out quietly as they opened the door.

The dour man, quickly shielded the child in his arms from the blowing snow as he looked around. He couldn't see anything out here and spelled his wand to light up a bit of their path. He hoped it wasn't too late, could his child survive in this blizzard? What would he do if Harry died? He would have failed Lily, and Harry both and he didn't think he would be able to come back from that.

"We're gonna find him," Neville whispered out when the man's emotion's started to get frightening. He didn't want the man to stick to those feeling when they didn't even know what happened. As it was the small empath could feel Harry, it was faint but the boy was still alive.

Remus seemed to have come to the same conclusion as Neville as he turned to look back at Severus. "He's out here, I can smell it, even fainter then inside. The snow is blowing his scent all over the place," he informed the man.

Neville coughed to gain their attention. "I fink he's stwaight in fwont of us, I can feel him," he told them helpfully.

"A locater charm might work better now," Severus murmured to himself as he kept a tighter hold on the child. He knew it would be better for Harry if he allowed Remus to grab the child. The man's temperature ran hotter than a human's so he knew the body contact would definitely help his child in the long run.

Heeding Neville's advice, Severus preformed the charmed and wasn't surprised when it pointed straight ahead. Keeping his wand lit and closer to the ground then normal he started walking briskly across the snow, ignoring it as it seeped through his sleep clothes. He couldn't feel the cold at the moment, too focused on his task. He had gone maybe ten feet when he turned to look at Neville in confusion who was pulling on his ear rather tightly.

"Be caweful, you almost stepped on him," Neville said worriedly as he pointed down to the snow where he could see a small tuft of black hair against the snow.

Severus looked down and swallowed hard as he bent down to help the clearly unconscious child. Harry was buried under the snow, and had it not been for Neville he would have stepped on him, or missed him completely. He couldn't think on that, as he feared he would suffer a rare panic attack if he did.

"Remus, Harry's here, pick him up and hurry back inside," Severus called over the wind to the other man.

Remus nodded and quickly made his way over to them, swiftly picking up his cub and holding him protectively to his chest. He could feel how cold the boy was and it terrified him, which is why he took off at a run back towards the house.

He knew that Severus and Neville would be right behind him. He just needed Harry to get warm, without overwhelming his body and his magical core. Going hot to cold and vice versa so quickly tended to have disastrous effects on anyone, muggle or wizard.

He gulped fearfully as he looked down at the child in his arms after spelling the lights on in the manor. The boy's lips were blue and his eyes were closed. If he hadn't heard the small shallow breaths, he would have assumed that the little boy had passed on. Not to mention he knew self-healing techniques but he wasn't all too sure what needed to be done medically for Harry.

"Severus!" He called out, hoping the man was inside.

"I'm here, take Harry and Neville and head to the sitting room where the fire should be blazing. It'll help with warming up Harry. Transfigure something into a bed and lay Harry there, I need to get the correct potions," Severus told him seriously.

"Maybe I can get them for you?" Remus asked feeling inadequate as he looked down at the child pressed against his chest.

"No, I need you to take off your shirt and Harry's shirt and hug him again. Skin to skin contact and warmth he's going to need. Your temperature is hotter than mine, this will help him Remus, do it," Severus stressed out before he turned and headed down to his lab.

Remus nodded quickly. "Come Neville, I might need your help buddy," he told the little boy as he hurried into the room.

The potion Master had been correct the room was pretty toasty but this was just what Harry needed. He pulled off his shirt and transfigured the couch into a big bed before he laid down on it, taking off the child's wet and cold clothes and laying him down on his chest. He took a deep breath to calm himself before he performed the Patronus charm to alert Albus of what was going on and to bring Harry something warm.

"Wemus what can I do?" Neville asked softly feeling helpless as he watched the man lie on the bed with his friend who still wasn't moving.

"Come lie down on the other side of him," Remus told him, knowing the child could help. He knew that Neville still had a warming charm radiating around him so his pajamas were nice and warm and would help Harry since he couldn't do any spells to the child himself.

Neville didn't need the man repeating it as quickly climbed onto the bed and hugged Harry tightly, shivering as he felt the other boy's cold body. "I'm scawed," he whispered.

"I know, but everything will be fine," Remus promised him as he held both the boy tightly in his arms. He didn't relax until he heard Severus coming back up the stairs and rushing into the room to work his magic, to save that special little boy who they all held dearly to their hearts.

~*~*~*Christmas Morning~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry woke up the next morning feeling warm and cuddly and toasty all at one time. He was confused, very much so when he opened his eyes and saw everyone around him. He was wrapped up in his daddy's arms, but Remus and Neville were also holding onto him, and the little boy could see Grandpa Albus and Draco on the foot of the bed. What were they all doing down here? He sighed softly trying to think back on last night, to see what led to this.

 Harry closed his eyes tightly only to gasp softly as he remembered the awful things that Draco had said to him. He had ran away intending on never returning to this house, but it had been cold and he had fallen in the snow. He had been so cold, that he couldn't move. He frowned when it became apparent that he was drawing up a blank, he would ask his daddy what happened later on. For now, he had something very important to take care of.

He yawned quietly before he started carefully pulling off the hands that were attached to him. He was able to take off Uncle Moony's and Neville's hands quite easily but his daddy had him as securely as he could be and huffed. He wasn't angry he just had to go potty and the man wasn't letting go.

The little raven haired boy sighed softly before he shook the arms that held him, he would just have to wake the man up. The last thing he wanted was to have an accident in the bed with everyone on it with him. That would be just the most embarrassing thing for him.

"Daddy? Can you wake up? I wanna get up," Harry said anxiously.

Severus was extremely tired from the night before, as he and Remus had worked hard to make sure that Lily's child was alright. At the moment, he just wanted to enjoy his little sleep, even as he heard the child calling him. It truly wasn't registering in his mind at the moment.

Harry frowned when there was no outward reaction from the potion's master and he sighed loudly before he grimaced. Desperate times call for desperate measures he supposed, even if he really didn't want to do it. He just didn't have a choice right now. He sighed softly before he bit down on the hand that was still holding onto him.

Severus opened his eyes at the sharp pain on his hand, moving his head to look down at the little boy who was trying to get away from him. "What are you doing Harry? It's Christmas, you aren't cooking today," he told him seriously.

Harry smiled softly before he nodded. "Can I go potty?" He asked instead of replying to the statement the man had said. To be honest, he wasn't even thinking about cooking at this point, not to mention he was feeling some kind of way towards Draco and he didn't think he could cook for him.

"Of course," Severus said as carefully picked the child up to set him on his feet on the floor by the bed. He held in his words to accompany the child, he was feeling a little protective after what had happened last night. But he didn't think that Harry would appreciate that, the little boy enjoyed being independent when he could.

"I be wight back daddy," Harry chirped before he made his way out of the room and headed to the bathroom.

Severus sat up then, not in the mood for a lie in, once Harry wasn't in his arms anymore. He glanced around the bed to find everyone else still asleep, and this was fine. He actually wanted to get Harry's point of view before he talked with his godson. Severus gave a small tremble as he remembered how cold, and just dead Harry had felt last night.

 He swallowed thickly and pushed the memory away, not wanting to dwell on it at that moment. He moved and quietly got off of the bed to meet Harry into the hallway, and wasn't disappointed when he saw the raven haired child running towards him. He bent down and caught the boy before lifting him in the air and hugging him tightly to his chest.

"Daddy?" Harry asked in confusion as he found his face into the man's chest. He didn't mind it at all, he just wasn't sure what brought this on. "What's wong?"

"I wanted to talk about what happened last night, after everyone was in bed," Severus said quietly as he carried the child up the stairs. He knew that when everyone woke up they would all enjoy a Christmas breakfast together, and he knew if they went in now and saw the delicious food Harry might ask for some and he would never tell that little boy no. Especially when it came too food, and how he grew up.

Harry sighed softly and rested his head on the man's shoulder. "I wanna go to yo woom den," he told the man seriously. If he was going to be forced to talk about this, he wanted to be surrounded by his daddy's scent, and his bed and his everything.

"That I can do," Severus said easily as he made a detour and let them into his own room before shutting the door behind them. He took a seat on the bed before situating the small boy in his lap.

Harry grinned, he hadn't thought the man would have gone for it, but apparently his daddy really wanted to know what happened. Harry didn't think that the man would make him leave especially since he went after him last night. He waited until they were sitting on the bed before he leaned back into the chest that held him protectively.

"Dwaco said dat I was taking his pwace hewe, dat I was taking you fwom him," the little boy said without prompting, his happy go lucky smile falling from his face in an instance.

"Draco was wrong, he couldn't be more far from the truth Harry. You could never take his place because he is my godson, but you Harry; you will be my son," Severus said seriously wanting the child to know there would be no comparison.

Harry sighed softly, even as something warm blossomed in his chest. "Like da way Uncle Vewnon tweats Dudley? Because he weally loves him?" Harry asked trying to understand in the only way that he knew how.

"Exactly that," Severus said centrally hating to be compared to the that whale of an Uncle of Harry's but having no choice. The child at the moment was five and he didn't truly understand.

"Wow," Harry breathed out in awe as he buried his face into the man's chest.

"I love you more then air, and at the end of the day Draco will go back home to his mummy and daddy. But you will stay here with me forever and always," Severus replied honestly.

Harry only hugged the man tighter in response too overwhelmed to reply to that. "Can we go and wake evewybody up?" He asked hopefully.

"And why would we do that?" Severus teased playfully.

"So we can open ouw pwesents," Harry beamed happily at his parent.

Severus chuckled as he hugged the child easily, noticing yet again how easily giving affection to the child, or any of the boys had become. He had definitely come a long way that was for sure. "We can, let's head down there then," he told him easily.

Harry clung to the man like a koala bear as he watched from the man's arm as they headed downstairs. "Daddy what else awe we going to do today?" Harry wanted to know, he knew that this was going to be the best Christmas day ever, he just didn't know what that entailed too.

"We will be opening some presents and then have some breakfast before heading over to Hogwarts. The Headmaster thinks it imperative for you to spend a few hours with another member of your family," Severus managed to say neutrally even if he wanted sneer, he didn't want to do that in Harry's vicinity.

Harry opened his eyes wide in horror, not fully understanding. "I don't wanna see my famiwy!" He told the man fearfully, hadn't his daddy promised he would never have to see them ever again?

Severus frowned at the child's reaction before he nodded. "Oh, I didn't mean your relatives Harry, I meant someone else. The headmaster wants you to spend some time with you godfather," he explained carefully.

"I haff a Godfather?" Harry asked in disbelief, he wasn't sure what that meant but if it meant he was getting even more family he was all for it.

"You do, if you want to know more about him I suggest asking your Uncle Remus, rather then me," Severus said dryly as they reached the bottom and the steps and he moved to put the child down.

"No Daddy, I stay up," Harry said quickly as he refused to release his grip on the dark man's clothes. He felt like his daddy might be angry or even hurt and he didn't want him to run away or anything. It was better if they just stayed together.

"Okay honey," Severus sighed before he poked his head into the sitting room. He was relieved slightly when he saw that Remus seemed to be awake, and he made eye contact with the man before he stepped even further into the room.

"Do you want me to wake everyone up?" Remus asked curiously.

"Well Christmas was usually the day when everybody woke themselves up, we've got some time to kill as well. But I know we are supposed to head over to Hogwarts later as well. And spend a few hours with Black," Severus said tightly.

"I know," Remus said carefully. Now that he was friends with both Severus and Sirius, he could see that he would always be in the middle unless he could make Sirius see some sense. After all Severus was going to be in charge of Harry, and unless his mate acted right he might not get to see his godson. "Did you sign the papers?"

"I did," Severus said slowly. "You can shower if you want, or explain to Harry who Black is and what a Godfather entails," he reluctantly added.

"I'll do that then," Remus said cheerfully as he carefully stood up and reached for the raven haired child.

Harry eagerly reached out for his Uncle Moony and snuggled him. "Don't eat wiff out us Daddy," he told the potion's master.

"I won't Harry," Severus promised as he made his way over to where Albus was laying with Draco.

 He could see his godson was shifting about and he knew that the child was going to wake soon, and he moved to scoop him up. "The House elves have been alerted so they are making breakfast. Please wait for everyone else before you go," was all he said as he carefully picked up his blonde haired godson and left the room.

Draco officially woke up when he felt someone pick him up, and as he couldn't feel the soft beard that he had come to associate with the old man. He opened his gray eyes to find obsidian ones looking back at him. He didn't have to have Neville's ability to know that the man was anything but happy.

Those dark eyes were expressive when the man wanted them too be, but Draco wasn't super worried. He knew that his Uncle Sebbus would never hurt him like Harry's Uncle had done for him. He gave a sigh regardless knowing he wasn't looking forward to any of this, but had the good sense not to say anything as they left the sitting room and headed to the man's study to talk.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile Remus was grinning with mirth as he explained to Harry how much Sirius was looking to spoil him. "And he'll buy you whatever you want," he promised him.

"Coow," Harry said in awe. "But he won't make me twy to live wiff him? I wanna stay wiff my daddy," he made sure to remind the man.

"I know that buddy, and I promise you he'll know that soon enough," Remus said with a sad smile on his face but he knew that Severus was the better choice for Harry, for both of them. Sirius just wasn't father material and that was okay, he knew if he was given the chance he would make a great godfather.

"I wanna pway," Harry said after a moment before he turned to wake up the boy on the bed next to him.

~&~&~&~Breaking the line~&~&~

Despite Severus's assurances to Harry regarding what Draco had said and how much they both meant to him, the raven haired child was very wary when it came to the blonde boy. Harry refused point blank to even talk to Draco, he had been very hurt last night, and this was supposed to be a fun day. How could the blonde boy do that to someone who was supposed to be his friend? Shaking the thought away, Harry moved away from the breakfast table as he looked at his daddy hopefully.

"Can we open pwesents now?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Not just yet, we are going to head to Hogwarts and open them there. Go get whatever you want you bring with you and then put on your coat," Severus told him as he stood up himself intending to go get the boys' day bag. He also needed to shrink all of their gifts so they could travel easily enough to the castle with them.

"Are we flooing or did you acquire a portkey Albus?" Remus asked curiously.

"A Portkey directly to the infirmary, or my office. Which do you think would be better?" Albus asked the man.

"Maybe your office, it would give me a moment to place their presents around the tree in the Great Hall and talk to Sirius. I've already informed him that Severus had guardianship of Harry but knowing him like I do, he still will be a bit obnoxious but his healer tells me after he finishes his potions regimen his mind will be better," Remus explained.

"That's good, and I agree wholeheartedly with that plan. The last thing we need is Severus refusing to allow Sirius to see Harry when he starts in on him," Albus said truthfully.

Remus nodded in agreement before he turned to look at the other two boys. "If you're both finished you may head up the stairs to grab whatever you want to take with you to Hogwarts,"

Neville smiled brightly at that before he pushed back from his chair, ignoring Draco completely as he too hadn't yet forgiven the other boy just yet.

Draco watched Neville walk away with a sad expression on his face and sighed softly to himself before he looked up at the men unhappily. "I wost my fwiends," he sniffled out.

"Have you tried apologizing to them? You never said you were sorry about what you did you Harry," Remus pointed out.

Draco gave a careless shrug at that. "I twied, Hawwy won't even look at me," he said sadly.

"Give him time Dragon, Harry needs a moment to think about what happened," Severus said as he appeared into the kitchen again. "I'm ready whenever you two are," he said referring to Remus and Albus.

Albus nodded and pulled out the oddly coloured sock, that would be their portkey. "Hold tightly to be Draco, do not let me go," he told the child seriously.

"I won't Gwan'pa Albus," the blonde tot replied easily as he buried his face into the man's robes, holding as tight as he could, even as he felt the man's arms come around him.

"We are ready," Severus repeated as he and Remus held both Harry and Neville in their respective arms as well.

"Very well," Albus said before he whispered the activation word and they disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Harry gasped fearfully when it was suddenly over as he hugged his daddy as tight as he possibly could. "I didn't wike dat," he sniffled out, as he had thought for sure that he would be sick, it had made him feel so awful.

Severus looked down in concern at the child. "Did you need a potion?" He asked soothingly.

Harry shook his head, even though his tummy was churning something fierce, he didn't want to take any medicines. What if they put him to sleep and he missed meeting his godfather? His Uncle had told him that his daddy and his godfather didn't get along and he wasn't sure how he felt about that. He didn't want them to fight or worse have his daddy say that he couldn't see this new person. Harry didn't have a lot of family that he liked and he didn't want to turn this one away.

Severus gently set the child on the ground so he could look at his face, the boy looked a bit peaky but that could be from a number of things. Since the child declined he turned to his other companions, looking at each of the other two boys to make sure that they were okay.

"I fink, Dwaco and I awe used to it Uncle Sev'rus," Neville said helpfully as he smiled at the man happily.

"Hopefully so will Harry," Severus said easily.

Albus cleared his throat and looked around his office, setting Draco down for a moment to take off of his traveling cloak. "Should we meet back up in the Great Hall then?"

Severus nodded slowly as he too set Harry down on his feet and helped the child out of his coat. The castle was warm and he knew that the boys were going to be running around and he didn't want the boy to get overheated and ill. It was Christmas after all. "We can, I need to check something in my lab but I'll meet you all in the Great Hall in a half hour?"

Remus cleared his throat for a moment as he tugged off of Neville's coat. "Shouldn't we informed the children that we are having a guest with us while we open our gifts?"

"You inform them, and make sure to warn Black that if he tries anything I am gone. And that also mean Harry and Neville and Draco are coming with me," he said lightly not wanting to alert the children to his tone.

"I know Severus, I will pass along that warning. Sirius knows how important this is, he wouldn't do something that stupid, not after hes finally getting the help he needs," Remus said tiredly.

Severus sighed softly as he heard the weary man's tone and he remembered how the wolf clearly regarded him as a friend, and he wondered if he should finally treat him with that same courtesy and regard. It wasn't the werewolf's fault after all. "I know, I'm sorry Remus, this is just going to be a stressful day for me," the potion master said truthfully.

"Don't worry, I'll try to make it as painless as possible," Remus said gently as he turned to look at the boys on the floor. "Who wants to come with me to bring our special guest to the Great Hall?"

Neville glanced up, his eyes immediately going to search out Harry's who was looking excited for once without the aide of anyone else and he grinned happily. It was working, hopefully by the end of the holidays Harry would be the happiest ever. He knew Harry deserved this, and he didn't begrudge him.  He raised his hand shyly.

"Uncle Remus can I come wiff you and Harry? I fink Dwaco and Gwandpa Albus might want to ‘plore on their own," Neville said shyly as he could feel both the aforementioned people's emotions and Draco was clearly giddy at the headmaster's office and the man himself was having a ball pointing out everything.

"Of course you can," Remus said happily as he reached for both of their hands. "Harry say goodbye to daddy," he prompted as he watched Severus turned to leave the office.

Harry obediently turned to look at the man, waving happily with his free hand. "Bye Daddy! I see you later!"

Severus grinned despite himself and waved at all of the boys before he left the office and headed back to his dungeons. He always felt so comfortable in his own space and knowing he would be meeting Black again in a half hour no less he just couldn't stand it. He needed to brew something just so he could calm down and function like the boys needed him too.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Albus watched in amusement as Remus tromped out of the door with the two little Gryffindor boys, looking at the Slytherin child in his arms and only feeling love as he kissed his soft hair.

"Do you want to see a special animal?" Albus asked the child softly as he walked to the empty perch in his office.

Draco's eyes lit up despite the sadness he felt that Harry and Neville still weren't talking to him. He didn't like this, he would never be mean to Harry again. He missed them so much.

"See what?" He asked eagerly.

"My Phoenix, his name is Fawkes," Albus replied as he picked up the child, watching the boy's reaction when the fire bird in question suddenly appeared. The phoenix always had a way of knowing when he needed him and this time was no different.

"Wow," Draco said softly as he looked at the bird he had only ever seen in his books before. He suddenly found himself giggling as the phoenix trilled a soothing melody that healed the ache he had been feeling since Harry had run away.

"He likes you little one," Albus replied with a smile.

"Do you fink I can touch him Gwanpa Albus? He wooks so soft," Draco admired shyly for once in his life.

"I bet he would love it if you petted him honey. Everything will be okay now Draco, I promise you that," Albus said firmly before he laughed in earnest at Fawkes preening the child's hair.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Remus headed to the infirmary with the boy's listening to them chatter along in amusement. He wasn't sure what they were talking about but it get the nerves he was starting to feel away where they belonged. He didn't even know why he felt nervous, he had just been by to see Sirius a few days ago and the man knew he was coming with a surprise. He smiled softly once they saw the entrance to the infirmary, the doors were closed and he was grateful for that.

"Okay boys, once we get in here, I need you to remember that there is nothing to be afraid of. Sirius loves you both and he's really just a big kid, so if he raises his voice that just means hes excited. He's not going to hurt you, I would never let anyone hurt you," Remus told them seriously.

Neville and Harry both nodded silently, grins still adorning their faces as they watched their guardian open the door and lead them inside.

Remus looked towards the bed where Sirius was, not surprised to see the curtain up, he himself valued his privacy and his friend deserved that more then anyone else after the horror that he had endured. "Wait here okay? I'll go see if he's ready," Remus told them softly before he headed over towards the bed alone.

Neville turned his eyes away from the man to look around the infirmary with interest. He knew that a few weeks ago they had been in this very room with Aunt Poppy, but he was feeling something else. The place in here felt very familiar in a way, and he found himself walking over to a bed near a window. Had he ever been here before he was with Poppy? He pressed his hands to the sheets, his eyes closing involuntarily as he was caught in a memory.

*Flashback*

"Did you see his face, the great lump?" Draco asked laughed out.

"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that,' Neville choked, his insides literally burning in shame.

"Here's your Remebrall Neville, Malfoy tried to swipe it but Harry saved it," Ron said as he held out the glass ball to him, who was lying on the bed in the infirmary looking nervous and wary as he wondered just what his year mates were doing here.

"T-t-thanks, you didn't have to do that," Neville stuttered out his eyes wide in disbelief. He couldn't believe that Harry had done that for him. "I h-h-hope Harry didn't get into any trouble," he said as he couldn't see the raven haired boy there.

"He didn't we thought he might of, McGonagall looked angry," Ron said seriously as he remembered.

"If he's not in trouble, where is he?" Neville asked curiously, as he needed to thank Harry himself personally.

"He made the Quidditch team, so he's out practicing otherwise he would have come with us," Hermione piped in, she had offered to go as Harry had been nice to her.

*End Flashback*

Neville didn't get a chance to see what happened next as he suddenly heard his name being called loudly and he frowned. Why were they yelling? He was right here. He opened his eyes, blinking quickly to get rid of the blurriness.

"Neville? Neville!" Remus called out gently shaking the boy's shoulder in concern as something had happened to the child he just wasn't sure what. The boy had closed his eyes and he would have mistaken him for being sleep if he hadn't been standing up and making a small sound.

"Uncle Remus, I'm okay," the little Gryffindor replied as he looked up at the man he had come to love and respect.

 He was so confused, what had he seen? Was that a memory or something in his future? He swallowed thickly as he let go of the duvet cover and pulled away from the bed and back to Harry. He didn't understand what was going on and he didn't like it.

Remus was watching the child curiously, feeling a bit like the boy lied to him but they weren't at the manor so he couldn't go into depth with the boy like he wanted too. He would bring it up later and simply made his way back to Harry where Neville was currently standing now. Leading them both towards the bed where the curtains had been removed to find Sirius sitting on the side of the bed watching them come forward silently.

"I'd recognize that mop of hair any day," Sirius breathed out as he drank in the sight of the little boy he knew to be his godson in.

He had felt elated with Moony had let him in on the fact that due to a potion's mishap his godson had been de-aged. He had missed this part of the boy's childhood due to his own impulsiveness and though he loathed Snape with every fiber of his being he would behave. Because he didn't want to mess up this second chance and he knew that the Slytherin had all of the power when it came to Harry.

It should have been him, but him and his stupidity he had lost that right and now another had it. He shook the emotions away as he focused on Harry, his eyes flickering over to the silent child next to the boy. He could see Alice all over the mannerisms of this child, but his face was all Frank. He was so very confident to be so young and he cocked his head as he got a good look at him. The child's eyes were brimming with intelligence that nearly took his breath away, as that wasn't what he had expected to see. Clearly there was more to this child then what meets the eye.c

Neville allowed the man to take them both in, aware that when their eyes met, this man knew something was different of him. That was interesting, no one ever caught on to his ability before. And speaking of which he cocked his own head to look at the man in disbelief.

"You'we a doggy," Neville breathed out slowly, his eyes widening comically as he turned to look at his Uncle Remus for confirmation but found that the man was grinning but still had his eyes on this new man.

"Remus," Sirius said questioningly as he carefully turned away from those piercing sea-green eyes of the child to look at his best friend. "What is going on?"

"He's an empath," Remus said with a casual shrug and an air of what can you do. He made to answer it a bit more when he found himself interrupted and he stopped to listen.

"He's a doggie?" Harry asked softly, the first words he had spoken since they had been in the infirmary. He didn't know why he felt so nervous now when just five minutes ago he had been brimming with excitement to see him.

"I can turn into one yes," Sirius said latching onto that small question eagerly before either Neville or Remus could answer it for him. "Would you like to see?"

Harry nodded excitedly as he turned his full attention on him. He wasn't sure just how he was expecting the man to turn into a doggie as the magical world was still so new to him. His mouth dropped open in astonishment however when the man seemingly shimmered into his dog form. Harry clapped happily and giggled childishly, instinctively drawn to the animal before he could think about it.

He made his way to the dog and gently reach a hand to pet the fur, when he was suddenly overcome with an urge to bury his face into the fur. He did, and hugged the animal as tight as he could, his eyes welling with tears involuntarily as he caught a whiff of something he hadn't smelled in a very long time.

"Padfoot," the tiny tot breathed out tearfully as he held tightly to the dog.

Remus found himself with a lump in his throat and suddenly it seemed hard to swallow and he turned away to look out the window to see the snow coming down. He hadn't told Harry that name and when he had said it, he had never explained what he meant. How had the child known?

Sirius for his part was floored and at the toddler's admission of his animagus name he transformed a moment later, hugging the child tightly to his chest. "I'm so sorry Harry, I never should have left you," he muttered into the child's hair.

Neville swallowed thickly at the reunion and found himself taking an involuntary step back. The emotions were heavy in here and it was making his heart ache. He couldn't remember a time when someone had loved him so fiercely as Sirius loved Harry. He shook his head suddenly, he couldn't be here, intruding on this personal moment.

This wasn't his family, he was alone in this world. The family that he had, he would never be a good enough boy for. He quietly back up, not wanting to attract attention to himself, he didn't want to ruin this for Harry or for Sirius. He just couldn't stand by and watch it and be second best all over again. He blew out a harsh breath and stood up on his tippy toes to open the door.

"Don't you make one more move, Neville Franklin Longbottom," Sirius called out as he adjusted Harry to his side so he could see the other boy.

He hadn't been that far gone in his emotions not to hear that small intake of breath. The sound was filled with so much hurt that he didn't need to be an empath to figure it out. No one could blame him for getting caught up with Harry, but Neville was family too. And he didn't want him thinking that he didn't have love for him too, they had to stick together.

Neville stood stiff as a board in front of the door, he had nearly gotten away but Sirius had caught him. He wasn't sure what his punishment would be but he would take it with no sound. After all, nothing else could hurt as worse as Harry realizing that his remaining relatives cherished him. What he wouldn't give just to have someone like that?

"Sir?" The little boy asked softly.

"Oi Moony! It's fine, here hold Harry," Sirius asked as he handed off Harry to his friend and hurried to were Neville was. "Where were you going kiddo?"

"I was give you and Hawwy space," Neville said truthfully at this point in time he had nothing to lose.

"We don't need space, least of all from you kiddo," Sirius said gently.

Neville sighed softly, wondering if Sirius was going to offer himself up like Severus had done. How pathetic must he be?

"Did you know that if something ever happened to your mommy and daddy and your godparents, you were supposed to go to me before your Grandmother?" Sirius asked softly as he bent down to pick up the child.

Neville squinted in confusion as he looked at the man's gray eyes, looking for some sort of trick or joke. He didn't understand and he stated as such. "What do you mean?"

"I was good friends with your parent's kiddo, and I'm actually related to you as well," Sirius said with a smile.

"What's your name? Your whole name?" Neville breathed out softly, unsure if this was true. But he had often studied his family history to see if he had any other relatives out there who might want him. On the days where he felt like he might just die if he stayed with his gran and Uncle any longer.

"Sirius Black, Lord of the Most Ancient and Noble house of Black," Sirius stated formally.

Neville's mouth gaped open in disbelief yet again and he hugged the man tightly. He was family! "Why didn't you come for us?" He asked softly.

"I made an awful mistake and until recently everyone thought I was guilty for a crime I didn't do," Sirius answered truthfully.

"But now you're fwee," Neville reminded him softly.

"I am," Sirius said with a sad smile.

"Can I live wiff you?" Neville blurted out before he could help himself.

Sirius gave a sad smile wanting more than anything to say yes, but knowing he truthfully didn't know the answer to that. And he couldn't answer it without ending up hurting the child and he turned to Moony for help.

"Boys, if we don't head down to the Great Hall Draco is going to think you don't want your Christmas presents and he might take them for him," Remus interjected smoothly.

Harry responded like the man wanted him too in obvious worry and he gently bounced the child on his hip as they headed out of the infirmary.

Neville narrowed his eyes, before he bit his lip harshly as Sirius hurried after Remus with him in his arms. The man hadn't verbally answered and he knew from his emotions that despite the man being family to him, family clearly meant nothing to him. He didn't want him; no one ever truly did. He swallowed tightly pushing those emotions away, after all this was Christmas and there wasn't a time to be sad.

~*~*~*Great Hall~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Severus checked the time for what felt like the tenth time in about five minutes, but nothing had truly changed and Harry and Remus and Neville still weren't here yet. He couldn't stop the tendril of fear that appeared in his heart at the thought of Sirius just taking Harry and running. To try to distract the thoughts he turned to look at his godson who was being unusually quiet especially given how close they were the presents under the tree.

"Are you alright Dragon?" He asked in concern.

"I fine Uncle Sebbus, I just finking," Draco replied honestly, as he gently rubbed his hand down the soft red feather in his hand.

Severus turned to look at the Headmaster in surprise and a bit of confusion. "Is that Fawkes's feather?" He asked in disbelief.

"It is, he gifted it to Draco, after singing to him. He's very troubled Severus, he thinks that Neville and Harry will never forgive him," Albus answered honestly.

"If they aren't made up by the time we leave I'll set them all down and we can all talk about it," Severus said before he preformed the tempus charm again. He swallowed thickly, his wand tightly in his hand before he turned to look at Albus yet again.

"They are coming as we speak, there is no need to fret Severus," Albus replied soothingly as he caught the look on the man's face.

Severus relaxed then knowing how in-tuned Albus was with the castle, so he could breathe just a bit easily. He would relax more if Harry was in his sight, or his arms if he was being honest. He really needed to curb this over protective nature he had, he hoped it was just a side effect of the boy being this small and waif like.

He knew Harry himself would be very annoyed when he was aged up and he was this protective, despite the vow he had made. He shook the conflicting thoughts away as he still had the thought of Harry rejecting him, and he had no idea how he would come back from that. He was distracted from his thoughts when he heard a small high pitched voice that he had come to associate to little boys who were so very excited.

He blanked his face so the snarl that tried to come through didn't, he didn't want to frighten the children. He took a breath watching intently as Remus and Harry appeared first and then Neville and Sirius after.

"Daddy!" Harry called out excitedly as he wiggled in his Uncle's arms to get free.

Severus didn't smile like he would have had he not been in the company of Black, he didn't want that man anywhere near them but he had promised Harry and Remus. He bent down and held out his arms as the child came running to him.

"Hi hi!" Harry giggled out softly.

"Hi Harry, did you have a nice time meeting your godfather?" Severus asked carefully.

"Yes I wike him awot, and guess what else daddy?" Harry said his eyes brimming in mischief.

"What?" Severus asked curiously wondering just what Black may or may not have told the child.

"My godfather is so coow, he can change into a doggie," Harry said proudly.

Severus's eyes flicked up to Black's then, his mind calculating quickly as thought that over before he turned back to Harry. "That's nice, but try to keep that a secret okay?" He said knowing when they needed it, that secret could end up saving Harry's life.

Harry nodded solemnly not sure why he had to keep it a secret but he didn't question his daddy. He beamed up at the man before he took a seat right next to Draco on the floor.

"Pwetty feather," Harry remarked softly.

Draco turned to look at Harry slowly, before he held the feather out to him. "You can have it Hawwy if you want, if....if it means you fowgive me," he told the boy sadly.

Harry scratched his chin like he had seen his daddy do when he was thinking before he shook his head. "No fanks," he decided, not reaching out to take the feather.

Draco's face fell and the feather fell to the floor before he buried his face into his knees and started to cry.

Harry was horrified and shook the boy before the adults intervened, he so didn't want to get in trouble on Christmas. "Dat's you'we pwetty feather Dwaco, I don't wanna take dat fwom you," he told the boy honestly. "Why you cwying?"

"Cause Hawwy don't fowgive me," Draco wailed out, attracting the attention of the rest of the men.

"Hawwy fowgive you Dwaco, I just don't want youw feather. I only want to touch it," Harry told his brow furrowed in confusion as he looked at Neville and shrugged.

Neville pulled away from Sirius and ran over to his friends, his hands reaching to touch both Draco and Harry to let them know everything was okay. He didn't get a chance to say as such as he felt himself gasp as he was yanked into what he felt might be a memory but he didn't know how it could be. They were only five after all.

*Flashback*

"'You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?' said Malfoy a few minutes later, as Snape awarded Hufflepuff another penalty for no reason at all. 'It's people they feel sorry for. See, there's Potter, who's got no parents, then there's the Weasleys, who've got no money - you should be on the team, Longbottom, you've got no brains.

Neville turned away in shame, he hated when people thought him stupid, he was anything but.

"'I do feel sorry,' said Draco Malfoy, one Potions class, 'for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home.'

Draco Malfoy,' Harry explained. 'He hates me,"

'You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted!'

Neville didn't understand what these were, why was Draco so mean in them? He was nothing like that, he was a bit spoiled but he never truly hurt them. He blinked hard, and found himself back in the present, Severus looking at him with a curious expression on his face. When did he get on the floor?

*End flashback*

Severus bent down so he could look the child in the eye, trying to find out what just happened. Albus had sorted out Harry and Draco and they were happily tearing into their presents while he watched Neville.

"What did you see?" He asked softly, for there was no doubt in his mind the child was witnessing something.

Neville swallowed thickly as he stared into those dark eyes as he found himself picked up and comforted. He opened his mouth to speak about it, when he felt it again, why was this happening to him now? What was going on? It had to be the castle itself because this never happened when he was at the manor.

*Flashback*

"Orange, Longbottom,' said Snape, ladling some up and allowing it to splash into the cauldron, so that everyone could see. 'Orange. Tell me, boy, does anything penetrate that thick skull of yours? Didn't you hear me say, quite clearly, that only one rat spleen was needed? Didn't I state plainly that a dash of leech juice would suffice? What do I have to do to make you understand, Longbottom?'

Neville was pink and trembling. He looked as though he was on the verge of tears. But Snape just kept going.

"Longbottom, at the end of this lesson we will feed a few drops of this potion to your toad and see what happens. Perhaps that will encourage you to do it properly," Snape moved away, leaving Neville breathless with fear.

Neville had never felt so low then he did in that moment, he could read in between the lines, the man clearly thought him both stupid and worthless, just like everyone else. Why did it matter that one more person thought this of him? Why did it suddenly hurt?

*End Flashback*

Neville couldn't help it, he flinched back from the man and due to the fact that the potion's master was holding him he nearly topped out of his grasp but Severus caught him.

"What has got you so out of sorts little one?" Severus asked in confusion, his eyes flicking up to Remus and then Black before they moved back to the child.

Neville shook his head quickly, ignoring the stinging in his eyes, as he looked back up at the man in those dark expressive eyes. Severus had never spoken cold to him before, so what exactly was he seeing? He was older in these, were they visions? He was so confused and he wanted them to stop, he didn't want to be special anymore.

 Could he trust Severus, he felt it in his heart he could, but what if they turned out to be true. What was he going to do? Maybe he would tell him later on tonight when Christmas was over so he wouldn't ruin anything, just in case it turned out to be true. He swallowed thickly as he placed his hand on the man's cheek.

"When we get home," Neville whispered out softly, hoping the man understood what he was saying.

Severus nodded slowly, even if something in him was dreading it he knew whatever it was it would change things and he hoped they would be ready. He shook the thought away before he set the child down and watched them open presents. Not even Black being here had ruined it and he turned to grasp Remus's hand with his own tightly.

"Thank you," he said firmly knowing that whatever happened, whatever the child had to tell him, he wouldn't be alone in this.

Albus glanced around at the scene, feeling giddier then he had felt in a long time, perhaps it would seem true that more than the boys would get a Christmas to remember.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3194