A Chance at Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: When an accident in potions causes imaginable damage to 3 different boys, perceptions start to change. One in particular of a dark and stern man, as truths start to come to light. How does one heal and move on from something like this? Who is left the task of picking up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Neville, Pomfrey, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 139081 Read: 160457 Published: 23 Feb 2015 Updated: 19 Mar 2020
Chapter 16 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Things are coming full circle, and I'm sorry there isn't a lot of Severus and Harry Love here, this was Neville's chapter. Anywho the story is winding down, hope yall enjoyed this.

Severus strayed far away from Black, choosing to keep silent and not speak with him, he still blamed the man a bit for Lily's death. Though now that Albus had told him the truth, he knew it was Pettigrew's fault and he unlike Neville's Uncle had already received the kiss. They didn't want to take any chances with him, given how slippery his rat form had been, and if he hadn't of been a spy for the Dark Lord he would have made a great double agent.  

But that man was a coward and he wouldn't spend the rest of the day even thinking of him, because this was a special day. He allowed a small smile to grace his face as he watched Harry play with Neville and Draco; appreciating the fact that Albus was snapping so many pictures of them. He didn't ever want to forget this, even as the potion set heavy in his pocket. He had the cure now, what was he honestly waiting for? He turned to look at Black who was laying on the floor with the boys, watching the man in confusion.

Black was actually treating Draco the same as he did the other two boys. And he didn't understand that, he would have assumed that Black would hate anyone from a Dark family, or a Slytherin in general. He didn't understand the man, maybe he would get a chance to speak with Remus later on. Especially regarding what on earth Neville might have seen. Severus didn't want to admit it, but when the child had flinched away from him he had felt a little bit of dread in his heart.

To think he had constantly belittled that child, made him feel so worthless, he was so ashamed of himself. He knew that he had blamed Neville Longbottom in a way for Lily's death, as irrational as it was. He was after all the other prophecy child, and if the Dark Lord had of targeted Neville instead, Lily would still be alive, though maybe her and James would be insane.

Would that have truly been better? He knew in his heart it would be even worse for Harry, and he knew also that once the children were aged up he would be apologizing to both of the boys for how he treated them. How could he treat children that way? He was no better than his father, verbal abuse still hurt, it was a wonder they didn't turn from the light side.

 It would seem like Albus favored their Potion's Master over their own words. They had both been so very wrong and so biased, how could ever think any of that was okay? Shaking that line of thought away, he blinked his eyes tightly to push them behind his mental walls, opening them to find other pairs of eyes on him.

"Are you alright Severus?" Remus asked quietly, he had been watching the man for the past few minutes and he looked like he was fighting a few mental demons..

Severus nodded silently. "Just a moment of self-reflection is all," he said in a subdued tone, as he wondered if they would ever forgive him?

"That didn't seem like any self-reflection I've ever seen, it looked akin to self-hatred. And from my understanding you have done a lot for these three boys in the 2 weeks that you've had them and I'm not sure how you can have any self-hatred from that. They are very well adjusted, you did a damn good job," Sirius replied slowly, wondering how the man would reply to that.

Sirius was feeling some kind of way, the Slytherin hadn't even spoken to him when he had entered the Great Hall. He hadn't sneered or snarled or even looked at him. It was a very surreal experience and he knew from speaking to his mind healer that he owed that man an apology. They had treated him so awful in school, and though he gave it as good as he got it, they were the instigators in all of it.

They had all acted like bullies, and wondered why in the world did Albus allow that? It was wrong on so many different levels. How on earth did he think making fun of someone's threadbare clothes okay? Remus being the creature he was, was far from rich and he would kill whoever it was who made fun of his mate for something out of his control. Why had he and James thought it was okay? Why hadn't anyone told them any better?

Severus's expressive dark eyes shuttered, as they unwillingly settled on the man who had constantly tormented him in his youth. Had Black just given him a compliment, on his parenting skills on the children no less? He turned to look at Remus who was studiously avoiding his gaze and choosing to look at the children. He was so tired of fighting but he knew if nobody else Neville would pick up on the tension and wonder about it and he was trying to turn over a new leaf for their sake as it was. So he clearly had to answer the man.

"There are things I did in the past  to them that are just awful, things I should have never gotten away with. This I regret," Severus replied cordially.

Sirius nodded slowly, he could understand regret. "I know you won't believe me when I say this, but I am so very sorry for how we treated you back in school. You didn't deserve any of that," he found himself blurting out.

Severus swallowed thickly, his mental walls coming up a moment later before he turned to pick up the small toy broom. "Come here Neville," he requested knowing that the 13-year-old him was terrified of flying but 5-year-old him wasn't and he wanted to take away as many fears as he could.

Severus knew was he was doing was technically rude but he couldn't accept the man's apology, not yet, his hurt was still raw and he couldn't make himself forgive the man. He didn't know if he ever could.

Sirius wasn't surprised, but he had seen the confusion and disbelief in the man's eyes before they had clouded over to neutral. He would just need to keep on it, and he would have plenty of time as he was going to be in Harry's life. His thoughts flickered back to the infirmary to where Neville had asked to live with him, and he wondered if he could.

His mind healer had said that he was progressing rapidly, and that the potions were healing his mind. He didn't feel as impulsive or rash, maybe it was curing a bit of the insanity of the Blacks. Whatever it was, he was grateful for it. As soon as the boys left he would be talking to Albus about his affairs, He had a lot of things he needed to do.

~*~*~*~A few hours later*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After the presents had all be opened, Severus had suggested taking a walk by the lake, knowing the squid might be out and knowing the little boys might like to see that. After making sure that potty breaks had been had and that each little boy was in his own snowsuit with a hat on their head, he deemed them fit for outside.

 He ignored the teasing laughter from his companions at his over protective nature but he didn't want any of the boys getting sick. They started off carrying the boys out before Severus realized the children would never tire themselves out this way. After making sure the boys were charmed with the spell that tugged them back to their adult if they went too far, Severus allowed himself to relax.

He disregard Black especially as his eyes sought out the tree he liked to hide against in his school days. He turned away before a memory could threatened to overwhelm before he looked down at a tugging on his cloak.

"What is it Draco?" Severus asked curiously, wondering why his godson was so close to him all of a sudden. Usually the child preferred Albus.

"C'n we skate on da water?" Draco asked hopefully.

Albus looked up then and turned to look at the lake, it was frozen solid but he knew that it was bound to have a few thin spots and immediately pulled out his wand to cast a freezing charm over it, just to be safe. He really didn't want anyone falling in.

Neville was smiling brightly as he watched his Grandpa do some cool magic and he turned to look at Sirius with a bright smile. "Awe you gonna skate with us?"

"Sure am, I bet you're a great skater," Sirius said cheerfully as he looked at the tiny tot.

"I am weally good," Neville said happily before he reached up to the man eagerly.

Sirius picked him up immediately and cuddled him. "What's up?"

"I bet you I can beat you in a wace," Neville said confidently.

Sirius's eyes shined with mirth as he gently bopped the child's nose. "Wanna bet?"

"Yes! A chocowate fwog if I win," Neville said before looking at the man with a sly expression on his face. "And don't fowget it's wong to beat a 5 year old in a wace and gwoat about it," he said with a serious expression.

Sirius's stood with his mouth gaped opened for a moment before he pulled his head back and laughed heartily. "We will make a marauder out of you yet Neville. That was very Slytherin of you," he said with amusement.

"I twy," the little boy giggled out.

Sirius turned around with a child and relished in listening to him giggle, his own heart warming as he gave the child an Eskimo kiss, before he peppered his face in kisses.

"Neville I need to tell you something," he said lightly.

"What?" Neville asked breathlessly, he loved getting affection and tickles.

"I love you kid, and just because I couldn't give you a definite answer back in the infirmary doesn't mean I didn't want to say yes. I want you for you, not as a replacement for Harry or because someone is forcing me too. No one is in control of my actions, I want you Neville and I'm going to do my damn hardest to get you. I just need to get better before that happens," he whispered to the child quietly.

Neville wasn't expecting that, but his own tummy warmed at the man's words not to mention he could feel the truth in the man's emotions. If love was just enough he knew that Sirius would take him now, but it didn't matter the man wanted him. Sirius loved him fiercely just as much as he did Harry.

"I would wike that vewy much," Neville said suddenly shy.

"I'm planning on running it by Albus tonight, don't tell anyone yet kiddo," Sirius told him softly. He didn't want the child to be disappointed if this didn't go through.

"I won't but I fink you have a good chance, I want you and you want me. And Uncle Remus wants the both of us," he giggled out.

"Oh yeah? Then we better no disappoint him," Sirius laughed before he tickled the child again.

Though no one was currently paying them any attention as they all seemed to be getting ready for the ice skating on the lake.

Harry was looking at the frozen pond with a bit of fear, he wasn't afraid of the water no he knew it was safe now. He had just never skated and he didn't want to get left behind if they decided since he didn't know he couldn't do it.

Remus was transfiguring the children's shoes into ice skates, watching as Severus transfigured helmets on the tops of their head. He noted that even Sirius didn't have a remark to say to that, as they all seem to be of the same mind, to make sure the boys stayed safe.

"Daddy I can't skate," Harry stated miserably, as he took a seat on the snow.

"I will help you," Severus said easily as he reached out a hand for the boy to take. Severus was very surprised to see that Black hadn't made any type of noise when the child had addressed him as his father. Even Remus had a bit of trouble in the beginning. Since when was Black an Enigma, had Azkaban really changed the man so much? Transfiguring his own shoes, he carefully skated out on the ice, making sure the child's gloved hand was securely in his own.

~*~*~*Boxing Day~*~*~*

The day after Christmas found the occupants of the manor having a bit of a lie in after the excitement of the day before. Well most of them were, Albus had received a message from Fawkes late last night and had left a message to his two companions that he would be seeing them at lunch.

Apparently, one of Neville's solicitors over their case regarding the abuse that the child had suffered at the hands of his Uncle and the verbal abuse at the hands of his grandmother noted that the woman herself was demanding to see her grandson. And since it was just passed the Holidays, Albus was all for second chances and he wanted to speak with her to see where her head was.

 Which is why he currently wasn't at the manor with the boys like he would have been. He was in his office, speaking to his solicitor and to her. He knew that Severus would never agree to let Neville see her at Hogwarts especially after some of the strange things that happened here yesterday and he knew the only option was the manor.

He risked the chance of Severus saying no, but his solicitor was also saying that if she herself didn't see the boy with her own two eyes, she would counter with an abuse claim of her own. So honestly they truly had no choice, he didn't want this to get dragged on or someone sticking their noses in where they didn't belong. His hands were truly tied and as long as they supervised he saw no outer flaw with that plan.

He did however have the decency to let the man know he was bringing a guest with his Patronus charm. He stood up with a sigh, it was nearly noon now, he had spent the last few hours working out some type of visitation plan with the woman. Severus didn't currently have guardianship of Neville; he did but if everything went according to plan he wouldn't for too much longer. Someone else had applied for guardianship for the child and Albus thought it was fantastic for the both of them.

~*~*~Back at the Manor~*~*

"Severus have you seen Albus? He's not in his room and the boys are getting worried as he didn't even leave a note," Remus said seriously as he made his way to his friend's side.

"I'm not sure," Severus started before freezing as they both stopped to look at the Patronus of the Phoenix that he knew could be no one but Albus's.

"I'm bringing over a guest now, I have no choice in the matter. But I will explain when I get there," Albus's voice resounded out of it.

Remus frowned as the Patronus faded before he sighed. "I'll go make sure the boys are presentable. I wonder who he is bringing," he murmured out loud.

Severus conjured his own Patronus as well as his own message. "I don't care, as long as it's not Black," he said before he sent it to the old man.

Remus frowned as he looked at his new friend. "Sirius wasn't bad yesterday," he pointed out slowly.

Severus gave him a dry look. "Do you honestly think that one day can change years' worth of loathing I have for that man?" He pointed out.

"You changed for me," Remus reminded him fondly.

"I never hated you, I was afraid of you. There is a difference," Severus said neutrally.

Remus swallowed thickly not sure he really wanted to hear the answer but feeling like he had to say it now or he would never know. "And are you still afraid of me now?"

"No, I can't say that I am," Severus said with a smile, reassuring the man that everything was okay between them. "Come on, we need to be prepared,"

~*~*Headmaster's Office~*~*~*~

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Augusta asked impatiently.

Albus frowned but was saved from replying to her as Severus's Patronus appeared in front of him. The man stated that it was fine, but the guest whoever it was couldn't stay for long as it was nearing the boy's nap time. And that the man hoped like hell it wasn't Black.

The old man had to give a chuckle at that, as Sirius wasn't even at Hogwarts at the moment. The man had gone to Diagon Alley to settle some affairs with Gringotts after the Prophet had broken the news about the Ministry's error regarding his lack of trial and his innocence. Albus only hoped that everything would work out the way it was supposed to.

"We must floo together, his manor is warded very heavily and he will not key you in. Not after what you have done," Albus told her bluntly.

Augusta looked ashamed for a moment before she caught herself. "It's improper but I guess it will have to do,"

Albus headed to the fireplace, and held a hand out to her, he would forever be a gentleman when it came down to it. Making sure he had her securely he tossed down the floo powder and shouted out his destination. "Prince Manor, Sitting room!" He knew the magic would wash over him so he had no need for a passcode not when his magical signature would be allowed in.

Severus was standing as was Remus behind the three little boys who were obediently sitting on the sofa facing the fireplace. He watched as the man's bright yellow robe appeared, his mind laughing in amusement. "Who did you bring?"

Albus didn't get a chance to answer as Augusta landed gracefully next to him, the woman's sharp eyes falling on the three tiny children before giving a gasp. What in the world had happened?

"No!" Neville screamed out when his Grandmother's face had come into focus. He stood up from the couch and backed away fearfully. He was never going back there again, Severus had promised.

"Albus why did you bring her here?" Severus asked dangerously, coming to stand in front of the boys as he glared at the old woman across the way.

"She threatened to counter with her own abuse charges since she hadn't seen or heard from her grandson in 2 weeks. My solicitor stated that even with her tarnished reputation she still had some supporters in the ministry. I've no doubt we would have won but it would have a been a major headache," Albus explained.

"What happened to him? Why is he that age? Why are they all that age?" Augusta demanded of the men as she took a step closer to the boys. This is not what she expected, she had expected her meek 13-year-old grandson, who feared and respected her not this one. She had remembered his younger years with a bit of fondness and exasperation. This child wasn't scared of her, at least not as much as he was now.

Neville was having none of it, he was not going to let her hurt him anymore. He had Severus and he had new brothers and he had Sirius. Sirius who he knew would protect him from her and he would do the same to make sure that nobody touched his family. He unconsciously put both his palms up in the universal gesture for stop, but he wasn't warning her. He was so tired of everything, how she treated him and how she let Uncle Algie hurt him, there would be no more pain on his end.

"Get away from me!" He screamed out before unleashing a torrent of magic, aimed straight for her.

 He watched impassively as it knocked her straight into the wall. The little boy breathed heavily as he looked at her angrily. "I'm not going back there, to hell with you Gwan!" He shouted out before he turned and ran out of the room.

Neville knew he was going to be in big trouble, he had gone and swore, and he knew Severus didn't want them saying any bad words. He wasn't sure why Grandpa Albus brought her here, but he knew one thing if the old man tried to make him leave he would blast him with his magic too. It wasn't accidental it was deliberate but he knew they wouldn't see it as such and he was okay with that.

Severus was staring at the unconscious woman with a look of disbelief and air of amusement surrounding him. Oh how he wanted to laugh but Draco and Harry were still here and he didn't want to open up a can of worms there. His manor was big and though he knew he would find the child wherever he ended up hiding he would prefer them all together. He didn't put it past the woman to try to port key out of here with one of them.

"Boys, go find Neville. Make sure he knows that it's okay, and that I'm not mad at him. I'll come find you when she's gone," Severus stated calmly.

Harry nodded quickly grabbing Draco who was frowning at the mean lady on the ground before they hurried to find their friend.

Remus spelled the selective privacy charm around them as the boys left and turned to look at Albus with unreadable eyes. "You could have warned us," he stated in a dry tone that sounded so much like Severus it was uncanny.

"I literally had no time," Albus said apologetically.

"Get her out of my manor, this is going to set him back so far," Severus said tiredly.

"Did you see his accidental magic flare up? He was terrified," Remus pointed out.

"I did, I hope he can forgive me. I had no intention of letting her take him, believe me. Neville needs no more heart ache," Albus replied before he turned to revive the woman.

Augusta allowed herself to be helped up, looking around widely for the boys. "What happened?"

"Neville's accidental magic reacted against your presence and it knocked you into the wall," Albus explained bluntly.

"His magic was always strong at this age, I've often wondered what happened to it," She murmured softly.

"Living in that house with you an Algie can scare anybody, and as you can see that child is the furthest thing from a squib," Severus snapped out.

"I know, I never thought he was one. I know Algie was jealous of Frank but I never knew it ran this deep. Not until the trial that is," She remarked softly as she looked at the man. "When he is aged up, I would like to speak with him,"

"If he wishes, I won't force him to see you. Look at how he reacted here," Severus pointed out.

"Yes I know, take care of him," Augusta stated before she turned and flooed out the manor without a second glance. She had a lot to think about. Never in all her life had she seen such a terrified look from her grandson's face, and directed at her no less. Oh Merlin, if Frank was sane he would kill her himself for what she had done to his child. Her own blood, she hoped that in time he would forgive her.

"The boys went to find Neville, I've no doubt they will  find him themselves. So  let's give them a few minutes to talk this out amongst themselves. Did you bring the papers Albus?" Severus asked, he had been wary about taking custody of Neville too because he wasn't sure he was what the child truly needed.

But Severus would be damned before he allowed that woman to take the custody of the child yet again if no guardian was found. He knew it could happen, their society wasn't perfect, look at how all the abuse had slipped through their fingers as it was.

"What papers?" Remus asked curiously.

"Adoption papers, but there is no need to fret Severus, I have taken over the guardianship of Neville and I think with Remus's help we will be exactly what he needs," Albus replied with a secret smile.

Severus was watching the old man with a suspicious look on his face, as he chanced a look at Remus who seemed surprised to hear the old man's words as well. "What are you up too?"

Albus just smiled. "Nothing at all, I need to go see my boys and let them know that I was never going to let her take any of them," he said before he skipped out of the room before the men could question him some more.

Severus turned to Remus. "What do you know?"

"I have no idea what the hell is going on," Remus said with a shake of his head. "I'm sure Albus will inform us in due time,"

"I'm sure he will, but if you haven't noticed Remus, I am not a patient person," Severus chuckled.

"Oh believe me Severus I have noticed," Remus laughed in return.

~*~*3am the next morning~*~*~*~*~*

*Dream Sequence*

Neville wasn't sure where he was, only that he was back at Hogwarts. When had they returned here? He found himself listlessly roaming around the school not sure what he was looking for or where he was even going. He startled slightly as he saw someone who looked like him, only this boy was older. This was the same boy he had saw when they had spent Christmas at Hogwarts. Someone named Ron, had called him Neville, so this must be him, but when he was older.

What was going on? He followed after himself, trying to understand what was going and not lose sight of himself. He found himself in the defense classroom, and he looked around it eagerly taking it all in. He could see Uncle Severus and Uncle Remus talking as he stood by Harry. His eyes stung however as he caught the start of their conversation.

"Possibly no one's warned you, Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear," Severus had told to Professor Lupin. Didn't the man know that he could hear him? Did he care?

He had to get away from this, since when Uncle Severus so mean to him? He turned to get run away and found himself caught up in another memory.

Neville had dropped a book out of his bag in the corridor after coming out of the great hall. He turned the corner to find his Professors talking, and saw his book in Professor's Lupin's hand. He moved to call out to the man when he suddenly heard Professor Snape's voice and he froze, not wanting the man to see him.

"What have you got there Remus?" Minerva asked curiously as she looked at her companion.

"Someone's dropped their potion's book," Remus replied as he opened it to see which name was in it.

"That's Longbottom's'," Severus muttered out a grimace gracing his face a moment later.

"How do you know that?" Remus asked curiously.

"Can't you see how stained and out of sorts it is? Not to mention see how stiff the pages are, it's like he spends no time opening it outside of my class," Severus said with a frown.

"You're too hard on the poor boy," Pomona had stated.

"You're not hard enough on him, he's one of the worst dunderheads I've ever had the unfortunate pleasure to teach. I will celebrate the day when he no longer takes potions," Severus replied honestly.

"Oh Severus you don't mean that, while he's a bit rough around the edges, Neville is a sweet boy," Minerva said with a frown on her face.

"The child is a bloody menace, I loathe him more than Potter most days, and that is saying something. I have no idea how he made it into Gryffindor, I have never seen a more cowardly person, other than Pettigrew of course. And I'm not sure between the two of them who was the worse," Severus said before he turned and headed into the staff room, Albus had arrived.

Neville gasped softly at his potion master's harsh words, he had known the man didn't like him but this was too much. Tears unwillingly came to his eyes and he turned and ran back the way he came. He never saw the sharp eyes of his Defense Professor looking after him, never knowing that the man had indeed saw him. He didn't care, he just needed to get away, he hated school, he wished he could just disappear. If he didn't exist anymore, would anybody even notice that he had gone?

Neville ran far from the corridor, wishing he was away from this awful place and the man's awful words. Is this what Severus truly felt about him? How hadn't he felt it, before? He turned around again and found that the Hogwarts corridor had disappeared and he found himself in a very familiar manor.

What on earth was he doing here? Severus had promised that he would never have to return here unless he himself wanted too? He swallowed thickly trying to make his way to his room before his Gran came out. He thought a bit too soon as he turned down a hallway and there she was.

"Neville, how could you do this to me? The house of Longbottom will be ruined," Augusta stated briskly.

"Gran I never said anything to anyone," Neville said softly.

"Then how did Snape and Albus find out, whatever happens in our home you know it stays here. Just wait until I get through with you; young man you have shamed the name of Longbottom," Augusta spat out before she changed and turned into his Uncle Algie.

"I'll kill you for this boy, mark my words!" The man screamed at him before he lunged at the child.

Neville could do nothing but scream in return, especially when the man picked him up and shook him viciously. "You'll regret this Neville!"

The little boy gave another scream, and in the midst of it, he called out one word. "SEVERUS!"

*Dream ending*

Severus awoke with a start, and he found himself shucking off the covers and making his way out of his bedroom and down the hall before he could even fully think of it. One of his boys had screamed for him, it didn't sound like Harry or Draco so he rationalized that it was Neville. Which was a bit out of the ordinary but given what had happened earlier that day he wasn't so surprised.

It had been a very traumatic experience, the boy's magic had actually lashed out and he had never seen that happened with this child. Neville had very good control on his accidental magic so they had all be taken back. He pushed that away in favor of rushing into their rooms, a quick glance around the dimly lit room showed Harry to be awake, looking at him with wide eyes.

 He wanted to assure the child that everything was okay, but Neville needed him more in that moment and he turned towards his bed. Spelling the small light on the dresser near the child's bed so not to disturb Draco he found himself staring into tearful sea-green eyes, of a child he had come to love so strongly.

"Did you have a nightmare?" Severus asked in a soothing tone as he bent forth to pick up the child.

Neville sniffled sadly as he involuntarily flinched away from the man he had to come to love so much. That dream had seemed so real and he didn't know what was going on. He wanted the comfort but what if this just turned out to be a cruel trick of his mind again?

"A scawy dweam," Neville whimpered out before he gave a small gasp as he became aware of something else. Something awful had happened.

Severus nodded slowly, frowning however when he heard the small gasp. "What is it, little one?"

Neville busted into tears at that, when the man had called him by his pet name, and he wanted to desperately reach forward and hug him. But he was so gross now, how had this happened? He covered his face with his hands, not wanting to see the disgust on the man's face. "I wet my bed," he whispered out harshly.

Severus breathed a sigh of relief when he found out that was the only thing that the child was worried about. He knew they would need to talk about the child's dream, but at the moment the boy needed to be comforted and cleaned up. This would be the easy bit and he would gladly take it for now.

"That's okay, it happens to everyone at one point or another in their life," Severus said easily before he bent down to pick up the child, ignoring the way the boy's body tensed at the contact but the child didn't flinch away from him. "I will never hurt you Neville, I promise you that,"

"I know," Neville repeated softly, not sure if he wanted to tell the man about his nightmare. Just like with the memories from Christmas he felt that he would mess everything up if he did, maybe he could think of something else to say. And maybe the man would give him until tomorrow, he was after all still shaken up about it.

"Come along Harry, since you're up you might as well join us," Severus said as he passed by the child's bed on the way to their bathroom. He knew he could technically use magic to clean up the boy, but he also knew that his little boy's relaxed a lot more when they had a nice warm bath and so Neville was getting one, and if Harry so chose to, him too.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3194