A Chance at Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: When an accident in potions causes imaginable damage to 3 different boys, perceptions start to change. One in particular of a dark and stern man, as truths start to come to light. How does one heal and move on from something like this? Who is left the task of picking up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Neville, Pomfrey, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 139081 Read: 159844 Published: 23 Feb 2015 Updated: 19 Mar 2020
Chapter 3 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I was dismayed by the reviews from last chapter, especially given the favorites and the views, so this is a day late. Motivation is a good factor, as I do have 2 additional chapters written in case my muse decides she is feeling unappreciated and takes another hike.

Severus didn't notice that Albus had left, well not right away anyway. He was too busy sitting on the edge of the bed watching the 3 deaged boys. It was baffling to watch them interact together but he like Albus could see the bigger picture. However the only difference between the two of them there was he could see the small boys as well. He wouldn't let them get left behind for the greater good.

Albus had accepted this, but to the Slytherin it felt like it was such an easy victory and he was very wary. He shook the feeling off, he would divulge in it later when he had the time. He smiled at his godson before he settled himself on the floor next to the child. He was very much aware of Potter suddenly stilling and pushing back slowly from the group as well as Longbottom's reaction. Earlier he had thought the boy had accepted his presence but the suspicion was once again back. Merlin he hoped this wasn't a mistake.

"Uncle Sebbus? What you doing?" Draco asked curiously. "Are you gonna play wiff us?"

"Not right now Draco, I wanted to let you know boys know what we're going to be doing for the winter holidays," Severus said trying hard to keep his vocabulary down to where the children would understand.

"What do you mean? I go wiff you Uncle Sebbus right?" Draco asked with a worried expression because if he didn't go with his godfather who would he be with? He already knew his mummy or daddy wasn't here.

"Of course you are dragon," he said firmly. "You belong with me," he promised.

Severus rubbed his godson's back as reassurance, watching out the corner of his eyes how the other two boys reacted to that. He hadn't meant his words to hurt or to cut them but he should have remembered. It was just so easy to forget and he knew he had to tell the other children the same. Just at the moment he was enjoying the little brat snuggling into his side. He had missed this, his one regret for choosing to never have kids. This endearing love they gave you once, you gave them your heart. He kissed the top of the blonde head absently.

Neville was the first to break the silence, he was hurt and disappointed but this was his life. He had no parents, and his godfather had died in the war, his godmother as well.  He only had his Gran and his Uncle Algie unfortunately. He couldn't stand this, he couldn't stand to sit here and play while Draco got to have cuddles. It was too much for him to bear, knowing no one would ever hold him like that. It was enough to make him cry, but he had learned a long time ago, that tears only made his Gran angrier. He wouldn't do it now, no matter how much he wanted too. He stood up slowly his blue eyes staring unwaveringly at the man across from him.

"Shall I floo home then?" He asked quietly. "I know my Gwan is expecting me," he stated formally.

Severus frowned at the grammar, and shook his head. Honestly he was all for proper pronunciation but when would anyone realize they were five? He shook his head at that train of thought and addressed the boy.

"No, you won't be going home this holiday with your Gran or your Uncle," Severus told him quietly his eyes narrowing as he noticed how far Potter had moved away from them. The child had been so silent, he hadn't even been aware of it. "Not another move Potter," he growled out before turning back to Longbottom.

"But I don't understand sir, if I'm not wiff my Gwan, where will I stay?" Neville asked quietly, before he focused his eyes on the wall behind the man's head. He couldn't keep looking into those dark eyes, he couldn't help the feeling he felt. Almost as if the man would see through him.

"You and Potter both will be staying with me," Severus informed him.

"And who approved that sir?" Neville asked in confusion. He was sure that if his Gran knew of such a man she would have never said yes.

"The Headmaster," Severus told him truthfully, his eyes narrowing at the question.

"But Gwan says that the headmaster can't decide where a um.. pu-pil at his school can stay. Only the um...guard-ians can. I'm afwaid that I do not know you and without permission from my Gwan I won't be able to come wiff you," he said quietly, stumbling over a bit of words but feeling proud of him for keeping his cool.

To say Severus was gob smacked was putting it lightly, he had to double check to who was speaking with him. If this was Longbottom at five, then what the hell had happened between that and 13? He knew the child didn't have a backbone now and had often wondered just how in Merlin the child had gotten sorted into Gryffindor.  Somehow he had a feeling it had everything to do with his upbringing. He would also think more on that later as he had something else he needed to discuss.

"That is true; however the headmaster has flooed to his office where he is certain to be talking to your Gran as we speak. I am curious however that you seemed to be fighting coming with me, when I was under the impression that you didn't want to go home. Isn't your Uncle going to be there?" Severus asked questioningly, not above fighting dirty. He wanted the children to come willingly with him, that way if it ever came down to it he wouldn't get charged with something as trivial as kidnapping.

"Because sir; I have no way of knowing who you are. You could be even worse than my Uncle Algie, at least wiff him I know what I'm getting, but you would be a surprise. And I don't have a very good record wiff surpwises," Neville told him honestly.

"I'm Draco's godfather, and a Professor at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I promise you that I will never throw you out the window, you do not need to prove to me that you are magic, I can see it in you," Severus told him calmly.

He noted that the child was still looking at him warily but he seemed almost resigned to his fate. .  It was strange to see Longbottom displaying Slytherin tendencies all things considering, but then again he had another hunch why the child was displaying simply common sense.

"Alright, then I guess I'll come wiff you," Neville said softly as he sat back down, though he kept his distance from the dark haired man. He trusted him not to treat him like his Uncle Algie but he didn't know him, so until then he could not let his guard down.

Severus resisted the urge to sigh as he turned his attention on the raven hair child furthest away from him. He felt guilty for scaring the boy especially as he saw the trembling frame. He knew he definitely needed to watch his tone whenever Potter was around him. And since Albus had made him take the other two boys it would be often.

"Potter, do you have any problems coming home with me?" He managed to ask in a neutral tone.

Harry was staring at the man in horror, this man in all black. The man had given him good clothes more than real Uncle had ever done for him. But he didn't know him and that was a real threat to him. He could hurt him and since his new friends had explained to him that they were all wizards, it was possible this man could hurt him with magic.

And that was a scary possibility that he didn't want to be true. The little boy swallowed thickly as he stared fearfully at him. His body was trying to decide when the best time to get the hell away was.

"It's otay, Hawwy come wiff you," he whispered out.

Severus frowned; very sure that Harry didn't want to come with him but was just too afraid to say no. He never thought that he would say it but he missed that stubborn defiant nature of the Gryffindor student. He didn't like this small and meek child. The boy's behavior almost reminded him of his own self, in the face of his father.

 This was the consequences of his inactions. All the other Professors could be excused as they didn't know what an abused child looked like, but he himself could not. He knew, having been there, he was just too stuck up on a dead man. And the outcome of his negligence was sitting here in his face.

 "But do you want to come with us?" He tried again, knowing what the child was trying to reason within himself. As Neville had pointed out, they had no way of knowing if he was really the lesser of the two evils.

 "If Hawwy go wiff you, den Hawwy don't hafta go back wiff his A'nt and Uncle?" Harry asked hopefully. He dared to ask this; because he wanted to be sure that he understood everything.

 "Yes that is correct. You would be going with Draco, Neville and I," Severus confirmed carefully his eyes calculating as he waited for the other's boy's answer.

Harry's eyes widened at the answer before flickering over to the blonde chime in the man's lap. "Dwaco otay wiff Hawwy coming?" The last thing he wanted was to go with the man and his new friend ended up turning on him like Dudley.

"Yep I want you too," Draco chirped eagerly.

"Gweat, den Hawwy come!" He declared happily, sold on that admission alone. He had never truly had friends before so he didn't want to do anything to lose that. And he trusted Draco; the other male was very nice to both him and Neville. Though if he was being honest, he maybe liked Neville more and only because Neville didn't always expect him to talk.

Severus didn't smile but he didn't frown as he stared at the child unseeingly for a moment. He vowed to get Potter to stop from referring to himself in the third person as soon as possible. Every time he heard him talk, made him wince from how behind and fearful the child was.  Setting Draco back on the floor he stood up and headed towards the matron. 

"I've no doubt that Granger and Weasely will be by soon to see Potter and Longbottom. How are we going to go about this?" He asked her honestly.

"Easy, we'll transfigure a pillow into a living golem, and they won't be able to tell the difference," Poppy said promptly.

"Sounds good, but what are you going to do with the boys when that happens?" He asked her.

"Can you....," she trailed off noting b the expression on his face and dropping that train of thought quickly. "I will floo Albus and see if he can look after 3 toddlers for a few hours," she said hastily.

"I will leave you to it," he told her giving one last glance at his godson before turning and walking out the infirmary without another word. He knew it was easier if the boy didn't see him leave.

As Severus headed passed by the Great Hall, he quirked an eyebrow in amusement. He saw the remaining two of the Gryffindor trio falter in their steps as he passed them. He could see them stop in their tracks and knew that they were fighting with themselves whether or not to ask him about their friend. But thankfully Granger seemed to use her brain and he made it to his quarters, in the dungeons undisturbed. 

He had to speak with his house elves and make sure that they child proofed his manor as well as setting up a room for the boys. At that thought he called them to him and informed of them of what was going to be happening in a few days. He contemplated briefly over what he should do in regards to the children and their space.

 Before he decided that didn't want to have to visit three different rooms so they were going to be sharing a room. They were five and he knew they wouldn't mind it; of course each child would have his own bed and section of the room so he could have the privacy if he so chose too.  He sighed, this was a lot of work and he was already starting to feel overwhelmed.

 Severus felt uncomfortable knowing that he or Albus would need to make a shopping run as he didn't have anything in his manor for children décor. He sighed loudly as he sat back in his arm chair, knowing that the quietness he had come to love over his holiday was soon to be smashed to pieces.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back in the infirmary Poppy had transfigured a few more items to benefit the children before setting them up in her office where the sole portrait of Helga Hufflepuff was residing. He knew the founder was bound by her oath as a healer even if she was a portrait and also knew that the woman would keep an eye on them and alert her if she was needed. quickly she got to work setting the infirmary back the way it was, making sure that the door to her office was closed.

 Taking a moment she quickly transfigured 'breathing' golems that resembled the three boys sleeping. No sooner had she finished everything when the doors to her hospital opened and she turned to face them, not surprised to see Hermione and Ronald. 

"Hullo Madame Pompfrey, we wanted to know how Harry was," Ron blurted out quickly.

"As well as Neville," Hermione said before clearly fighting with herself before sighing at her caring nature. "And Malfoy too," she added as she looked at the healer, ignoring the scandalized expression on Ron's face.

Poppy smiled in amusement but didn't draw attention to it as she addressed the children.

 "They have not woken up since they've been here, whatever the potion did was eating at their magic so I had them spelled into a magical coma while Professor Snape tries to find an antidote to the potion," she explained.

She knew this was the story that would be circulating around the school soon enough, but hopefully it would work out. She quickly shooed them away as another student came into the hospital seeking aid.

By the time the evening had come Poppy was tired to her core, wishing that it was already Friday instead of the Wednesday it currently was. She had not been visited by either Albus or Severus and it was starting to get to her. Despite the fact that they were well behaved and two of them fearful of authority they had still run her haggard.

 She attributed to them all being energetic boys and her not in shape enough to keep up with them. By the time the dinner trays had come in she was dreading going to get them from her office. She was saved from it for a moment when someone entered the infirmary. Poppy turned and smiled when she saw who it was.

 "Minerva, what can I do for you?" She asked cheerfully.

 "Poppy I've just finished talking with Mr. Weasely and Miss Granger and they have informed me what is wrong with my two lions and Severus's snake. Why didn't you inform us of this personally?" She asked quietly, keeping the hurt tone from her voice. She had thought Poppy was her friend.

Poppy gave a quiet gasp, she knew she had been forgetting something and here it was. "That wasn't my intention Minerva, the boys have taken over everything," she admitted apologetically.

"Is it that bad? Shall I go and inform Augusta?" She asked quietly, not wanting to get the Matriarch but knowing she might if the situation was as serious as she thought it was.

"No Albus is taking care of it, and I think we're better speaking off this in my office," she told her as she led the way before the woman could say anything. Poppy was relieved to find that the boys were still quietly playing with one another though they looked up when they saw her. She made sure to close the door after the Gryffindor unsure of what her reaction would be.

 "Aunt Poppy!" Draco squealed as he went to hug the matron's leg.

 Poppy looked down and smiled as he ruffled his soft hair. Out of the three of them, Draco was the most trusting, Neville was the most cautious, and Harry unfortunately was the most afraid.

 "Hi sweetie, are you all ready to eat?" She cooed to him, kissing his nose fondly as she lifted him up.

 "I am, Harry is hung'y too, he told me so," he informed her proudly.

 "Good boy, why don't you three clean up so I can get your food?" She asked as she set him on the ground.

 "Kay," he chirped as he clapped excitedly and bounced back to the two lions who were looking apprehensively at the new comer.

 Minerva had came back to her senses and turned to his friend. "Merlin, they're deaged," she said softly unable to believe that the child her friend had picked up was Draco Malfoy.

"Yes, we do not know the cause of it, Severus is trying to see what to make of their potion but so far not having much luck," she said honestly.

 "So the story of them being in the magical coma was a farce?" Minerva asked to confirm it even though the confirmation was sitting there across from her.

 "Aye," Poppy told her honestly. "We found some horrific discoveries about Harry and Neville's home life. And we need them with us and not with their guardians at this time," she said quietly.

 Minerva gasped again turning fully to look at Poppy with a horrified expression on her face. "I told Albus they were the worst sort of muggles," she hissed out angrily knowing that out of the boys it was probably Harry that Poppy was talking about. It made sense; she knew she wasn't the only one who noticed how small the boy had looked when he was 11. And then every year he returned to school, his classmates were all taller than him, even the girls.

 "Just as I told Albus, each house needs to perform a medical physical with me every year. He has refused to see reason and the children have suffered because of ignorance," she told her sadly.

 "He won't be going back," she growled before he gasped again as she realized something else. Hadn't Poppy mentioned two of them, and she knew about the relationship between Draco and Severus so she knew it wasn't the Slytherin. "Neville!" She remembered with a start, her voice raised in her hurt

Neville snapped his head up at the mention of his name, standing up properly and making his way over to the stern woman before he was even fully aware of it. He knew a summon when he heard one, and he winced trying to figure out what he had done to this lady. She scared him as she looked as stern and as mean as his Gran. That thought alone had him gulping softly, wondering if this woman knew his Gran on a personal level and whether she would make him go back. "Yes m'am?" He asked softly.

Minerva startled as she took I'm the fearful expression on his five year old face. She was unaccustomed to being on the receiving end of this gaze and it made her uncomfortable.

"How are you?" She asked kindly, her voice softer then what it had been before.

"Fine, m'am. Do you know my Gwan?" He forced himself to ask, he just better get it out the way. No use dragging out the inevitable, that only ended up with tears and he didn't want to freak Harry out.

"Yes I do," Minerva replied slightly confused at the question if she was being honest.

"Are you here to take me too her?" He asked glumly as he didn't want to go. He had believed the dark man who had said he could stay with him but where the heck was Sebbus now?

"No dear, she's not, you're still going with Severus," Poppy told him kindly before shooing him back off. She didn't want Neville to fear going home or Harry for that matter. Merlin if she could only get them to talk to her. If it wasn't for Draco she wouldn't even know if Harry needed anything as that child didn't seem to speak at least; not directly to her.

"Poppy, what do you mean Severus is taking him? And what about Harry's situation? Is he going with Severus as well?" Minerva asked worriedly, knowing of the dislike of between both Professor and student.

"We're going to talk, but first let me get them some dinner," Poppy said as she walked out the office and snapped her fingers. She knew Harry would be frightened again and she didn't want that. She ordered dinner for the children and made her way back to the office.

"Okay boys, we're going to eat but before we do we need to wash our hands," she informed them as she gestured for them to stand up.

Neville stood up eagerly holding out his hand for Harry to take. He wasn't sure just what it was but Harry needed someone to help him. And that's what he and Draco were here for. He knew Harry's Uncle had really hurt him, and if he was bigger he would go and show that man that he was a wizard and not to do that anymore. But for now he had to settle just being a friend to Harry.

"Hawwy eat too?" Harry asked hopefully as he grabbed the offered hand.

"Yes, remember Uncle Sebbus said you hafta eat," Draco told him smartly as he bounced his way into the lavatory, standing on the stool to wash his hands.

The other two boys followed suit, before bouncing their way back into the office, where a table with 3 child size seat were around it. The eagerly made their way to it, a child size plate of food in front of each of them.

Poppy was sitting at her desk with Minerva across from her, where they could watch the boys. She wasn't up for explaining again, but honestly she had no choice.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thursday morning found Albus checking in with Poppy to see if the status of the children's condition hadn't changed and he wasn't sure just what he was feeling in regards to that.  He didn't feel disheartened, if anything he felt relief. The boys would get to experience something they never had, in Harry's case the child would get to see how a child was supposed to experience Christmas.  He looked at the clock knowing he had some time to himself this morning with his Professors in their classes.

It would be a perfect time to visit Petunia and later floo Augusta. He would not be informing either of them of their charges deaged state as legally speaking they were still guardians. And in Harry's situation Petunia was about to lose that, he just wasn't sure who was going to get it.  He didn't want someone like Lucius Malfoy to get a hold of Harry.  If he was being honest with himself, he knew that Severus would be the best choice, since Sirius was out of the picture. He shook his head not allowing his thoughts to take him there before he flooed to Arabella Figgs house.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile back in the infirmary Poppy had gotten the 3 boys dressed in another one of their outfits. She really did need to thank Severus when she saw him again. She was grateful that the classes were still in session as she knew there was a least chance of a student ending up injured. And at the moment, her charges were just itching to get out and play.

And though she knew that taking them outside was particularly dangerous she had summoned a house elf who had told her of a place in the castle that would be the ideal place for them. She placed small glamour charms on all three of them before making her way to them. She then set the charmed bell on the desk into the entrance of the infirmary; if someone did come she would be able to assist them.

"Come on boys, we're going on a small trip," Poppy informed them cheerfully,

"Miss Poppy, where are we going?" Neville asked curiously as he looked at the matron for answers.

"That's Aunt Poppy Nebille," Draco stressed out as he looked at his friend.

"She didn't give us p‘mission to call her that," Neville said with a slight roll of his eyes.

"You can call me that if you want too, I don't mind," Poppy chirped in, not wanting them to argue. Her eyes immediately turned to seek out Harry, the raven hair child, tended to fade to the background. If she didn't think that the other two's companionship would be beneficial for Harry she would have probably fought for him to go stay somewhere else.

With someone who would be able to give him one on one time. She knew now however to separate him from Draco and Neville wasn't smart at all. The last thing she wanted him to do was to retreat further into himself.  She found him, nearly underneath one of the bed and she quickly made her way to him and stuck her hand out silently to him.

Harry looked at her suspiciously. "You want Hawwy to come wiff you?"

"Yes, we are all going to go play," Poppy promised him before she carefully lifted him up in her arms. She breathed a quiet sigh of relief, when his tensed body relaxed, knowing this was progress. She just hated the fact on how light he was. When she had done her scans on them, Harry was in the lower percentile in the weight category for his age, while Draco and Neville were just right.

Poppy made sure her charges had each other's hand before grabbing Draco's hand; knowing that Neville wouldn't try to run away. The past day in the hospital alone with them had taught her early on that Draco would run at any given chance. The child just could not keep still his energy was unrelenting.

"Aunt Poppy, what are we going to be doing in this room?" Draco asked cheerfully.

"We're going to be playing, and have our lunch in it," she told him quietly. "Doesn't that sound fun?"

"It sounds really fun," Neville interjected in the conversation.

Poppy smiled as she looked down at the child snuggled into her chest and gently placed a kissed in his soft hair, unable to resist it.  She was rewarded when the boy in question, lifted up his head to look at her with his brilliantly bright emerald eyes curiously.

"Aunt Poppy kiss Hawwy?" Harry asked softly, unsure if he felt on the top of his head was correct.

"I did," she told him honestly.

"Why?" Harry asked quietly, he didn't understand this lady or this big place he was at.

Nothing seemed to make sense anymore for him. The little boy knew he was far away from his Uncle and Aunt and cousin. And though he didn't know these people, something in him felt that he could trust them. He had never felt so safe then he did in that moment, he wasn't sure what to do with himself. It had been a long time since he had felt safe anywhere and he was reluctant to latch on it as it would be worse when they finally pulled away again. He didn't know when these new people would realize how much of a freak he was and then decide to take him back to his relatives. And he never wanted to go back; he wished this was his home.

"Because sweet little boys named Harry deserve kisses," Poppy told him softly, her eyes getting a stinging feeling in the back of them. She knew he didn't understand this now, but he would in time and she would help him see, they all would.

"You fink Hawwy is sweet?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"I know you are sweet," she told him firmly, wanting him to have no doubt of her words.

"Oh," Harry breathed out softly, unsure of how he was supposed to respond to that. Only one person had ever told him he was sweet, and she was his first teacher. She had believed him, but then she had a baby and he never saw her again. But he had never forgotten her, even if she had forgotten him.

"You are a very good boy," she told him before planting another kiss on the top of his head before she sped up slightly so they could get to the room faster.

Harry rested against her chest, a warm feeling starting to blossom in his chest, at Aunt Poppy's words.  If nothing else, he would never forget her words, they gave him hope. And he knew he was short on hope and this would keep him for as long as he needed.

Unaware of his thoughts, Poppy ushered them all into the come and go room as the elves had called it, having chose the type of place she wanted for them. She was thrilled when they walked inside, setting Harry on the ground.

She went and took a seat on the couch, intent on relaxing a bit while they played. She knew that tomorrow would be particularly stressful for them, and she wanted to ease it as best as she could. She made a mental note to make up a time to check on them once they were settled in with Severus. She trusted the man but she didn't think he was up to the task no matter was Albus had said. With that thought in mind, she turned to watch the boys, a smile gracing her face as she smiled back in turn to Harry before urging him to play. 

The End.
End Notes:
Lemme know what you think. The next chapter is when Severus fully comes into play and he takes the boys to his home.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3194