A Chance at Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: When an accident in potions causes imaginable damage to 3 different boys, perceptions start to change. One in particular of a dark and stern man, as truths start to come to light. How does one heal and move on from something like this? Who is left the task of picking up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Neville, Pomfrey, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 139081 Read: 159830 Published: 23 Feb 2015 Updated: 19 Mar 2020
Chapter 5 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
This is late, because I couldn't focus on this chapter and I'm trying to have a minumum of 5000 words each chapter..but I failed here but the last chapter more then enough makes up for it.

The rest of the tour took a bit of time, as Albus and Severus had their hands full of the three toddlers. Which meant; that their attention span was every which way but the way they needed it to be. Which was fine, as Severus figured if they could get all that energy out now he would be able to function later when it really matter. Especially as around 2pm Albus had informed them all, that he was needed back at the school. His excuse was to make sure that all his students had arrived at home and then to oversee the charging of the wards.

Severus could admit that when the man had told him that; that his heart stuttered for a moment as he was aware he would end up being alone with the boys. He knew they wouldn't suddenly turn into little monsters, but it was still a very frightening experience. What if he messed up regarding one of the children? He didn't know what to do, and not knowing tended to mean life or death in the life he led.

He knew he did need to calm down, but the only way that worked for him was to brew potions, but he couldn't do that now, or could he? He frowned as he thought that over, even as he unconsciously tried to hold the old man longer. He was sure he was being Slytherin in the way he was doing it but when he saw the old man give him a knowing look he knew he was caught out.

"Severus, it will be fine. I wouldn't leave you alone with them if I wasn't sure that I knew you could handle this," Albus reassured him.

"Albus you can't possibly know that, it's only the first day. Surely Minerva can oversee Hogwarts for a little bit," he said hating that his tone was starting to take on a slight pleading.

"No Severus, the first day or step is always the hardest. I will be back tomorrow so we can go and get Neville and Harry a stuffed toy. And probably some clothes for all of them, and toys," Albus told him with a smile as he set Draco down on his feet before he started walking back into the sitting room.

"Albus, you cannot do this," Severus told him, as he set Neville and Harry down and hurried after his mentor.

"It will work out in the end, and I'll see you tomorrow," he promised before he disappeared in the green flames leaving Severus staring at the empty fireplace.

Neville was standing in the doorway with the other two boys, who were looking at the back of the man with a wide eyed expression. The Longbottom heir knew was wrong with the man, but it didn't bother him per say. Then again, there were worse things in the world that did bother him. He turned towards Harry and Draco.

"P'fessor Snape is scawed of taking care of us," he told them softly.

"Nuh uh!" Draco said stubbornly. "My Uncle Sebbus isn't ‘fwaid of nuffin," he added as he nodded his head vigorously.

Neville gave his friend a look, before turning to Harry. "Do you know what I mean Harry?"

"Hawwy hide den?" Harry asked softly.

Neville shook his head before sighing. "No, he's not gonna hurt us. He's just afwaid to be alone wiff us," he said before shaking his head and turning back to the man in question. "P'fessor?"

Severus startled for a moment, before remembering that three boys were relying on him and he blanked his face before turning around to face them. "Mr. Longbottom?"

Neville frowned as he looked at the man, he had noticed something when talking with the Professor, but he knew now wasn't the time to bring It up no matter how he felt. "Do you want us to go pway in our room?"

Severus shook his head; the last thing he wanted was if Albus to ask the boys what they did yesterday after he left was for them to say that he had them play alone in their room while he went off somewhere. He ran his hand down his face before he blew out a breath. He needed to do some brewing for the hospital wing, as well as for his manor. With 3 toddler boys that just screamed that he needed to be on top with his healing potions. He had to be prepared for everything.

"No, I need to brew a potion so you all are coming with me. But under no circumstances are you boys to ever come down here when I'm not with you. The potion's lab is a very dangerous place for little boys," Severus warned them, looking each child in the eye as he said it.

He picked up Harry and then gestured for the other two children to follow him down to his potion's lab where he got them set up in a corner that was separated from his ingredients and cauldrons and workspace. He then set a large age line, that would prevent them from crossing over it, and after snapping his fingers for a house elf he had the little toys from upstairs scattered around for them to play with.

As an after thought he spelled an impervious charm over it so if a cauldron exploded or something no harm would come to the boys. Deeming it a success, he kissed the little dark head in his arms before setting him down.

"Play nicely, and if you need something I'm just there," he told them as he pointed to a workstation a few feet away.

Severus knew that he needed to figure out what the hell had gone wrong in the potion of Longbottom's however now was the not the time for it. He lifted his head up to check on them as he got his ingredients but once he started to work on the actual potions, he relied on his hearing to make sure they were okay. He didn't want to make a mistake, no matter how simple the potion was.

With Severus working on a potion, Draco turned to look at his friends. He didn't want to be in the potion's lab, he wanted to play. Why did his godfather need them here? The five year old frowned as he plopped his bum on the pillow turning to look at Harry who was chattering to the stuffed snake his Uncle Sebbus has given him. He wasn't jealous of the toy as he had his own stuffed dragon as well.

Draco giggled at the happy expression his friends had shown, feeling happy that the man had done it. He knew that their uncles had been very bad so they had to stay with him and his and he was okay with that. What he wasn't okay with was getting spelled to stay in a corner of the room.

He was used to being outside, or playing all over his manor. He hated being in one spot. He was just bored and getting annoyed at his uncle who didn't seem to be paying them any attention. Not that the other two minded but he did, he loved when the attention was on him. 

He frowned trying to figure out a way to get just that, and short of being mean he could not think of anything. He didn't want to be mean though, what would that help? But then again he could always say sorry later and he giggled again before looking to Harry again. He would be mean to Harry as Neville wouldn't take it but Harry was used to it so he wouldn't mind it.

That thought alone should have deterred him but he was a determined five year old boy with a plan. He waited until Harry moved to grab the blocks before making his move.

"Mine," he exclaimed out as he lunged for them and sweeping them away from the boy.

Harry was looking at him with a bewildered expression on his face his eyes flicking to Neville in confusion. The green eyed child shook his head before turning to grab the coloring book instead wondering what the heck had gotten into Draco.

"That's mine too!" Draco yelled as he snatched it from the boy's hands. He little Slytherin's eyes flicked into the direction of his godfather, wondering when the man would act.

"Dwaco shawe wiff Hawwy," he pleaded out as his eyes flicked hopefully to the dark man.

Harry knew the man was sitting at a table a few spaces away from them and couldn't be that blind to the scene taking place. It was chance that he noticed the man's eyes flicking their way but as he didn't seemed to be doing anything Harry just assumed the worst. The man wasn't going to help him because he was Draco's Uncle Sebbus and not him. This was just like the Durselys and he knew what that meant; Harry was nothing here.

"No and that's mine too!" Draco roared out after seeing nothing else that Harry seemed to have he reached over and grabbed the stuffed snake from his friend's hands. He felt terrible when he saw the expression on Harry's face and for a moment almost gave it back before he caught himself. He had made it this far, and he would stick to it. Why did Harry have to look so sad though?

"Dats mine!" Harry screamed out, surprising them all with the loudness of his voice, (including himself). He reached back and snatched up his beloved toy, giving a childish glare at the offending boy.

 "Harry," Severus drawled out a proud feeling blossoming in his chest that the child had finally stood up for something. He had been about to step in at the moment, wondering what the hell had gotten into his godson.

He would be having a talk with Draco about his personal behavior as he would not allow him to continue acting like the bully. He would lose both his friends that way, Severus knew. The man stopped his train of thought however as he watched Lily's child suddenly shove the snake back at Draco; it almost seemed like a throw as if he didn't want it.  He was confused for a moment and realized a second later that he wasn't the only one.

"Harry; what you doing? That's your snake," Neville said quietly as he looked between his two friends. He had been content to play quietly, until Draco started being mean to Harry, and you just didn't do that.

"Hawwy in twouble, Dwaco's uncle Sebbus gonna huwt Hawwy," he whispered out sadly.

"What? You didn't do anything, Draco did," Neville protested as he turned to frown at the blonde hair boy who he saw was turning a horrified look at the dark man in question.

"Uncle Sebbus, Harry didn't do nuffin'," Draco told him with a slight frown as he gingerly handed the snake back to the raven haired boy. He didn't want his friend to get in trouble that wasn't part of the plan!

"I know he didn't Draco, you did," Severus said with a frown. "Why are you being mean to Harry? What did he do to you?" He asked quietly having to refrain from speaking so harshly as to not spook the other two children.

"He didn't do nuffin', I was just so bored Uncle Sebbus. I don't wanna just sit here," Draco whined out to the man.

Severus quirked an eyebrow, very much aware the children had been sitting there quietly for the past two hours. It was just he got a bit of a fearful feeling when they weren't in his direct sight.  And though he had his house elves child proof his house, he was still worried; after all those three boys were wizards. Still he and they could use a little bit of a break anyway and he sighed at the thought of knowing what he would do. He canceled the age line before nodding to the children.

"We're going outside," he told them to the delight of Draco who started jumping up and down eagerly. "Harry and Neville will go and play, but you and I are going to have a talk," he informed them as he fixed his godson with a stern look.

"Why can't I play Uncle Sebbus?" Draco whined out with a huff.

"Because we need to talk about you bullying Harry," he told him pointedly.

"Oh," Draco said with a wince as he gave his Uncle a grimace. "I did that on purpose cause I was bored," he said weakly trying to defend himself.

"That doesn't make it right and you and I both know that," Severus told him he would not be swayed and Draco wouldn't be getting away with this. "If you're lucky Harry might still want to be your friend," he added with a frown.

Draco gasped. "Harry won't wanna be my fwiend anymore?" He asked out horrified at the prospect.

"Of course not, why would he be? You bullied him, just like his cousin used to do dragon. Do you want to keep your friends? Do not act like that, Harry didn't deserve that and you will be apologizing to him as soon as possible," Severus told him sternly.

"I sorry Uncle Sebbus," Draco said with a soft nod of his head. He hadn't meant to make Harry feel like he was back in his horrible home! What had he done? He hung his head sadly trailing after his Uncle as he led them out the lab.

"Come on up here Draco, chin up," Severus told him quietly. At least at this age the child felt remorse, he could work with this. Though Severus realized that the root of the problem wasn't the lack of time it was attention. Maybe he could fix that, perhaps once Albus was finished with the school he would be willing to help out here. Draco could use the one on one time while he tried to get closer to the Gryffindors.

"Why I don't gots any fwiends anymore," he said pitifully.

"Yes you do, once you apologize it'll be fine," he promised him knowing that Harry had a kind heart.

"How do you know?" he asked sadly.


"Because Harry is a sweet boy," he promised him.


Severus sighed, leading the children outside and to his backyard. A part of the yard was sectioned off for his garden both muggle and magical but the rest of it was free. It was quite a bit of space and he noted once they got out there it was empty. He hoped the children would be able to entertain themselves. He would be out here but he wasn't going to be running around with them. He levitated the chair from the deck before setting it down and taking a seat in it, pulling Draco to him.

 

"Harry you and Mr. Longbottom can go and play while I speak with Draco," Sever us told the two quiet children.

Neville swallowed thickly his eyes angry as he stared hard at the other man. He didn't understand this and he knew it wasn't fair. He couldn't say anything of course, as to provoke the ire of this dangerous man was a stupid plan in itself. He shook his head before he turned towards Harry who was still hugging onto his snake.

"You wanna put our stuffies down so we can run around and pway?" Neville asked him quietly.

Harry gave the other boy a scandalous look. Neville wanted him to part with his new beloved toy and play? While he wanted to play he didn't want to put it down. What if he came back to get it and Draco had snatched it up? He frowned as he turned to look over at the blonde hair boy, he still didn't understand just why Draco had tried to take his things. Harry hadn't done anything to him! He swallowed sadly, realizing that because he had refused to give Draco his toy that the other boy might not want to be his friend any longer.

"It'll be safe here Harry, I pwomise," Neville told him kindly.

"How do you know? Dwaco twied to take him fwom Hawwy," Harry reminded him softly.

"Yes and now P'fessor Snape is telling him that he was bad for twying to do that," Neville patiently explained to him.

Harry sighed before he reluctantly placed the toy down next to stuffed toad on the grass before he stretched out his hand for the other boy to clasp. He didn't care what they played because he would now have someone to play with him. He giggled before he ran off with his friend to play.

Severus allowed Draco to join the other two about ten minutes later, feeling relieved and more relaxed then he had felt hours ago. He couldn't believe the nerve of his cheeky godson, but thankfully at five Draco was a caring child and he didn't honestly mean to hurt Harry. He could see the boys talking and as there were no loud voices he knew it was going well. The last thing he needed was his charges to fight.

 He summoned a book from his study to read. He had a lot of things he still needed to get done, but they would have to wait until the children went to bed. After spelling a tempus charm, he was oddly excited to see that it was after 4:00pm and he knew that it would be best to start getting dinner ready. He wanted to keep them on some type of routine so they wouldn't melt down.

He knew he had dodged a bullet so to speak as he realized they slept late so they didn't need a nap today. Tomorrow he would have to remember he didn't want to bring on cranky boys. He turned the page of his book, mentally cautioning himself not to get into it. He needed to keep alert as with the boys anything could happen. This was good, as he could hear their voices starting to rise and he sighed, hoping he didn't have to step in.

"Be careful Dwaco, the P'fessor has poison ivy in his gawden," Neville was warning him, as he had already told Harry not to touch it.

"What's that?" Draco asked in confusion.

"It's pwant that makes your skin red and itchy," Neville told him with a grimace. "It's not fun, and it huwts,"

Draco swallowed thickly as he made a wide berth from the garden. He had thought the items in the man's garden would be cool to look at but he didn't want that to happen to him. He wasn't that curious, he turned back to Harry before gently touching him. "Wanna pway tag?"

"Hawwy it?" Harry asked with dread in his tone.

"Nope, I'm it," Neville piped in as he glanced between them. He was sure that Harry was always forced to be it and he wanted him a chance to run and play.

"Otay! Let's go Harry," Draco said grabbing his friend's hand and running away from Neville.

Severus nodded as he pulled out his wand, sighing in relief at the knowledge of the plant life of the child. He spelled the area, not wanting any of the boys to stumble onto his gardens for his sake and for most importantly theirs. He snapped his fingers as he informed his house elf to get started on dinner. He was content to stay in his chair, but he found himself suddenly being tugged up by 2 little arms and 3 pairs of pleading eyes.

"Come pway wiff us Uncle Sebbus," Draco pleaded with the man, knowing they would have more fun if the man joined them. The backyard was bare and he knew his godfather had entertained him in the past.

Severus huffed but he wasn't mad, and he toned it down not wanting to frighten his charges as he got out of the chair. He glanced around; thanking Merlin he was alone here as he allowed the boys to lead into the middle of the yard and started to play with them. He knew he was acting silly, but they liked it so that's all that mattered. He found himself surprised to find that the time flew by fairly quickly and in no time at all was being informed by Missy that dinner was ready. He found himself grinning as he lifted Harry up in his arms, only to immediately turn to Draco. He knew how possessive his godson was and he was trying to remember that each child needed the same thing. But clearly there wasn't anything to worry about.

"Harry needs mowe of Uncle Sebbus's love then I do," Draco told him cheerfully as he skipped into the manor with Neville.

Severus could only stare for a moment before he hurried in after them.  "Wash your hands first," he instructed them as they all trekked into the lavatory.

It was an experience he decided as he tried to make sure each child was squeaky clean. And it was slightly harder than it should have been because two of them absolutely refused his help. He could only grin at the irony that Harry was the most compliant of course. Later then he wanted they all made their way into the kitchen and he sat each child in their modified version of the chair.

 He was happy to note that Missy had served each of the children dinner portions, cut up for them with their toddler fork on the side. He didn't know what he would do without her. He frowned and mentally cringed as he realized that their hands weren't strong enough to grasp at their glasses. He would need to add that to list. He nodded to himself once more before he focused on his Shepherd's pie. He made sure that each boy was eating, not noticing how Harry waited until they all had taken a bite of food before he did the same thing.

Dinner passed by quickly enough and Severus soon found that bath time was a definite necessity. He knew cleaning charms unfortunately only did so much but after their dinner he wasn't sure if they had actually gotten any inside their mouth. But each of his charges were garbling happily with one another that he let it go. Because complaining about it would only make the boys cry and then where would that leave him?

"Who's ready to get their bath?" He asked, trying to enforce the cheerfulness that he remembered Narcissa had often used.

"I am!" Neville chirped out happily, that was his favorite part of his day.

"Don't fowget me, Uncle Sebbus. I want a baff wiff bubbles," Draco informed him happily.

Severus turned expectantly to Harry, sure that the child would be excited as well only to find the child in question had taken on a horrified look. Before he could even ask what was wrong the little boy turned and ran out the room.

"Harry wait!" Neville called out worriedly.

Severus sighed snapping his fingers for Missy. "Please watch the boys while I attend to Harry," he told her before he ran after the child.

Severus didn't have to go very far, as the child's legs weren't very fast given his age and he easily caught up to him. He had just appeared into the doorway of the boy's room when he saw Harry disappeared somewhere by his bed. He swallowed thickly before he quietly made his way to the boy.

"Harry?" He called softly a feeling of dread appearing in the pit of his stomach as he started to have a hunch just where Harry might be.

Harry was in the cupboard, true to his word. He had had thought that this new place would be different. He got to eat the same food as both Draco and Neville and he got toys and clothes! Why did he get caught up in all that? The little boy shuddered finding it hard to believe that baths could be anything but fearful.

He didn't understand just why Draco and Neville looked forward to it, he sure as heck didn't. He held his breath almost unconsciously as he heard Draco's godfather's voice come closer. He knew he was going to get caught, he just hoped that this wouldn't be anything like the Durselys. He couldn't stop his fear, which is why he remained seated in the cupboard. He gave a quiet gasp when he saw the door to the cupboard opening, and he closed his eyes tightly. He didn't know what to expect so he didn't want to see anything.

Severus gazed into the cupboard, to find Harry curled up, which his knees pressed against his chest. He honestly didn't know why the child had run in the first place. He didn't remember mentioning anything that had to do with the Durselys. So what in the blazing hells had set the boy off? The child in question wasn't crying so he was only slightly grateful for that. What creeped him out was that Harry was being eerily silent. He took a seat on the floor, wanting to be at he child's level before he spoke.

"Harry? Won't you look at me? I'm sorry if I scared you, that wasn't my intention to do so," Severus told him making sure to keep his voice light and calm.

He was rewarded for his actions when the raven haired child peeked up at him. "Hawwy scawed," he whispered out.

"What are you scared of?" He asked, deeming this success that the child was at least talking to him. He just needed to keep his calm and hopefully take away that fear.

Harry shook in his fear, wanting to ask his question but afraid that the man wouldn't take it the right way. But he remembered the way the man had held him, and kissed his head and he would be brave. He needed to know! "Hawwy don't wike baffs," he breathed out softly.

"Why not?" Severus asked quietly.

"Baffs huwt Hawwy, dey buwn," Harry replied a bit quicker this time feeling encouraged that Severus seemed to really want to know.

"Oh, I can promise you Harry that the baths you take here will not burn," Severus said firmly.

"Will dey be too cowd den?" He asked feeling brave.

"No, they'll be the perfect temperature," he told him easily. "And you'll all be taking a bath together too," he added. He knew the boys might protest this when they get older and remember this but he wasn't about to give each boy a separate bath. Besides he could clearly see that Harry would benefit from it.

"Okay," Harry said softly, knowing that it would be okay. After all Draco wouldn't get burned he was sure of it.

"With that being said, can you come out the cupboard?" Severus asked, as he awkwardly held his hands open. This was still a new experience for him and he still wasn't comfortable offering comfort.

Harry nodded, taking a moment to uncurl himself before he crawled out of his safety haven and into the man's arms. He pressed his face into the man's chest, smelling once more strange smells but being comforted by it. This he could probably get used too.

"Good boy," Severus breathed out as he carefully stood up and carried the child out of the room. He breathed a sigh of relief, feeling like he passed some sort of test. He wasn't sure how he would have reacted if Harry had told him no. What if he hadn't been able to get the child out of the cupboard? And furthermore, he would be visiting those damn relatives as soon as he got a chance. How dare they? He frowned for a moment before his face was cleared as he watched Missy guide both Draco and Neville up the stairs. Once they had cleared the steps he spelled the top of it, not wanting an accident to occur if he wasn't there before he went into their lavatory and turned on the water. Ushering the two boys inside he set Harry on his feet, watching in fond amusement as Neville and Draco babbled nonsense to the quiet child.

He would definitely need to remember to grab a camera, if nothing else he wouldn't forget this moment.  Once the water had filled the tub he had gotten all three of the boys undressed and into the bathtub, and watched in amusement how they all relaxed in the water. He preened inwardly, knowing that the rest of night was probably going to go smoother. He couldn't stop the thought on how much he wished this was permanent. He sighed; he would think more on that thought later. Severus took a breath before he leaned back and took a breath as he watched his three boys play.

The End.
End Notes:
No Flames, review they mean alot!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3194