A Chance at Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: When an accident in potions causes imaginable damage to 3 different boys, perceptions start to change. One in particular of a dark and stern man, as truths start to come to light. How does one heal and move on from something like this? Who is left the task of picking up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Neville, Pomfrey, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 139081 Read: 159849 Published: 23 Feb 2015 Updated: 19 Mar 2020
Chapter 7 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Hope you enjoy this chapter, the shopping trip and Neville explained, though a couple of you guessed it right.

Because Severus had flooed through the fireplace first with Harry, he took that time to make sure that the child's fringe was covering up his trademark scar. His thoughts were going a mile a minute trying to process what had happened back at his manor. Especially considering what Neville had done. At the moment he had a theory but now was neither the time nor the place to test that.  He shook his head, definitely needing to speak with Lupin and Albus later.

Speaking of which, once he noticed they all flooed over he nodded to them before making his way out the Leaky Cauldron and into muggle London. He knew the other two men probably didn't have a clue as to how to get to Manchester and since he didn't have a port key there was no other option but to take the Knight bus unfortunately. He gave his companions and apologetic look before he stuck out his wand.

"On the way back, we can apparate, but going we can't. You and Albus do not know the location we need to go too," Severus told Remus as he got on the bus and paid their fare. He knew it was easier on the stomach if they rode in the lower section which is why he made his way to a bed, wanting to secure Harry down as he knew the bus had a reputation for being fast. He didn't have to be worried though as the minute the bus took off, Harry gave a loud squeal of happiness.

"Dis is so cool," Harry told the man wide eyed.

"No it's not, it's way too fast," Draco whimpered out as he closed his eyes tightly.

Albus was holding tight to the bed frame, and to his charge, looking for the world like they both wished they were somewhere else. The old man shook his head, hoping this ride didn't take long; he had no desire to feel ill. "I agree with Draco on this," he admitted quietly.

"I don't fink I like this Mr. Remus," Neville told the Professor with a shake of his head.

"Just Remus cub," Remus corrected him absently. "Though I agree, it's not the best way to travel. It is faster than a broom however," he added.

"I can't call you by just you fiwst name, my Gwan will be so angwy wiff me," Neville told him softly. He knew it was super disrespectful as he was only a kid and the man was a grown up, a Professor even.

"Uncle Remus work for you?" Remus asked after a moment.

"Yeah, I'm gaining family every day," Neville told him childishly as he leaned back against the man's chest in contentment.

Severus was so glad that Harry seemed to take to the bus; he himself didn't care for it. But he had often taken the bus when he had been a kid so the movement didn't bother him, which he was more than grateful for. He did turn around to look at Albus when he heard Draco give a whine.

"Gran'pa Albus, I really don't feel good," Draco told the old man softly as his face took on a greenish tint and he turned and buried his face in the man's beard. this he decided was his favorite place to be.

"Severus do you have a stomach soother?" Albus asked the man, as he glanced down to check on Draco once more.

"I do, I do not think I could get it out without it falling and rolling away," Severus admitted as his potions were tucked on the inside of his robe.

"Draco won't be able to wait that long for it, so I don't mind risking it," Albus replied as he gently rubbed the small boy's back.

Draco was breathing slow shallow breaths before he suddenly turned to look at the old man.  "I'm gonna fwow up," he informed the man tearfully.

"I know," Albus told him softly as he grabbed the trashcan that was charmed to stay by their bed and held it up under the child to contain the mess.

Neville turned to look at his friend in concern, until the blonde hair boy became sick and he quickly shoved his hands over his ears, his heart pounding in his throat. He didn't like the sound of Draco being sick, not to mention he just felt plain awful about the other boy feeling bad. He stretched his body as far as he could to get away from Draco, almost unconsciously. Thankfully though, Draco didn't seem to notice, during his bout of vomiting.

"We are definitely Apparating coming back," Severus said as he stuck Harry to the bed and grabbed the stomach soother out of his robe. He nearly lost it, but managed to levitate it over to Albus who was trying to console his crying godson.

"For sure," Remus said with a neutral expression on his face. The smell of the sick was a very strong scent to his nose, but he knew better then to react. Children were sensitive to such things; he had after all been one. And he didn't want to make a bad situation worse. Thankfully once Draco had managed to swallow the potion, everything got better. Remus pulled out his wand and freshened the air with a charm, while Albus emptied the rubbish bin.

"How long is it to Manchester Severus?" Albus wanted to know as he rubbed the child's back softly.

"Well the muggle way its 4 hours away, however that time is going to be split as we are on the wizarding bus. I'm going to assume its two hours. I know we'll get there in half the time," Severus said with a nod.

"Alright that works out fine," Albus said as he carefully laid Draco down. He hadn't been aware that the boy was even tired. "Was there a sleeping draught in the soother?"

"There was," Severus admitted. "He'll wake up and be a lot better off than if he stayed awake," he said knowingly.

Remus nodded he understood that and in turned followed his mentor's actions and started rubbing Neville's back.

"Do they take naps?" Remus asked softly as he could see Harry's eyes starting to slowly close every so often. He needed to know on whether or not he needed to wake the child.

"Yes, they are still at that age where it's acceptable. I haven't yet worked out a schedule as this is only the second day with them. But they'll all need a nap, otherwise they'll melt down if we're not careful," Severus explained truthfully.

"Since when, are you an expert on taking care of children?" Remus asked with an amused expression on his face.

Severus had the grace to give a small blush before he rolled his eyes. "I like to know what I'm doing. So I took it upon myself to read some of the childcare books that were in my library," he admitted.

"Good job Severus, I knew you were the right person for the job," Albus said proudly.

"Albus," Severus said embarrassingly with a shake of his head, even as he loved the feeling of being praised on the inside.

"It is the truth," Albus said as he popped a lemon drop into his mouth and leaned back into a comfortable position with Draco's head on his lap.

Severus quieted, not wanting to talk for the two hours and simply made himself comfortable on his bed like his other two companions.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The two hours on the bus, went by slowly but thankfully all the boys fell asleep within that first half hour and the men were able to relax while the children slept. Though once they got to their destination each man grabbed a child and carefully got off the bus with them, looking around the alley curiously.

"So what exactly is the plan today?" Remus asked asked as he looked around.

"The children will be staying with me and it has come to our attention that they are severly lacking basic things. They all need clothes, toys and child sized utensils and items to aid them in drinking and eating," Severus explained remembering how each boy had struggled to drink out of the cups he had at the house.

"Not to mention Christmas presents and decorations," Albus added quietly.

Severus gave a firm nod, even as he frowned as he realized what his manor undoubtly would become. He was so grateful for the warming charm on himself and the children as it was more then cold and was also starting to snow. He transfigured his robe while gesturing for the other men to do the same before he checked to make sure that the boys didn't have on wizarding clothing.

"When can we wake them up Severus ?" Remus wanted to know. as he glanced at the child in his arms.

"When we get to the store," Severus told him before walking briskly towards the shopping center. He knew the area from when he had been a child, so he headed straight for Carters knowing they would be able to get their clothes there.

"We will split up, to make this process easier," Severus said with an nod. "Albus you can pick out the shirts with Draco, Lupin you can grab the trousers. I will be getting their outerwear," he informed them with a nod.

"Will the boys be okay with that arrangement?' Remus asked ever the worried one.

"Yes, they'll be fine," he told him easily. "This will actually benefit them; each boy needs some undivided attention,"

"That is exactly what I thought Severus. It was a good thing Remus came with us, didn't he m'boy?" Albus said with a pointed look at the dour man.

Severus ignored the hint; he had already figured out that Lupin would integrate himself with him and the boys. And if he was being frank, he didn't actually mind it. If he had an extra set of hands then he could find time to work on the potion for the children for once.

"What about the toys that you said they needed to get?" Albus asked curiously, wondering if he might just go and pick out the toys himself. He knew that he was probably looking forward to this trip as much as the boys or more depending on who looked at it.

"We will all be going to Hamley's together," Severus told him with a firm nod. "Come on, I'm hoping to beat the rush that usually comes around this time," he said checking his watch.

It was just after 12:30 in the afternoon and he gave a small groan knowing the lunch break was definitely in effect. Oh well, they had no choice, they were here now. He sighed before he stepped out the alley and headed towards the shopping center and to Carters.

Severus started to gently shake Harry the moment they entered the store. After one last look, they each of the men separated to go get what they came to buy. In Hindsight, Severus should have thought of this, but he found that he, Lupin, and Albus were all going in the same direction. He separated though, heading to the cold weather clothes and after grabbing a buggy, he got Harry situated in the child sized seat in the front before he started shopping.

Harry was resting his head on his arm, looking at his friend's godfather. He still didn't know how to address him. He didn't feel comfortable calling him Uncle, and he didn't want to call him Professor like Neville did. He didn't know what to do. He was also still tired, he had been having a very good nap and then the man woke him up. It was with that; the little boy gave a pout.

 But the pout didn't last long as he got a good look around to see where he was. He was in a clothing store and he knew from the way the man kept pulling his shirt to see his tag that Sebbus was probably getting clothes for him. He had kept his promise! Harry turned to see where the man was trying to choose between the colors on the items.  Suddenly feeling confident in himself, he tried to remember what Neville had told him this morning.

"I want da gween one," Harry told the man clearly.

Severus whipped his head around the moment he heard Harry speak, his eyes betraying his shock that his face didn't show. This was the first time he had truly heard Harry refer to himself in the first person, and he liked it. He gave the boy a rare smile before he ruffled his hair.

"That is alright," he told him proudly. "And good boy,"

Harry's eyes got wide at the praise his green eyes shining bright like emeralds. "Hawwy is so welcome," he said automatically before he gave a nod for emphasis.

Severus had to smother a grin, you couldn't win them all, and he was clearly making progress somewhere with the child. He turned back to grabbing their coats, hats, and mittens and scarves before he moved onto their boots and normal everyday shoes. It was easier just to get muggle ones, since wizarding child shoes were much too expensive, not that he was worried about the cause it was the principle of the matter.

Around a corner and about a few feet away, Remus had acquired his own buggy and also had Neville in it. He was using the child's input as he picked out the different types of bottoms. Each boy needed to have 10 pairs of bottoms, according to Severus. He could see why, but he felt that was a lot of money. And for a man that constantly struggled to make ends meet, he was trying his hardest to find inexpensive clothing. In between this, he was turning to make sure his charge was alright. Neville seemed to be doing alright and that was the main point.

"You don't need anything do you?" Remus asked, just to double check.

"No, I'm okay," Neville replied softly.

Remus nodded before he turned to really look at the child, bring his hand up cautiously to touch the child again. He was normally very careful not to mention wary of letting anyone touch him. It stemmed from what everyone thought they knew about him, and what they thought was catching just by touching him. You couldn't become a werewolf, just from touching one's human skin. Ignorance was prominent in even the most intelligent people.

Neville looked up at Remus with another sad smile. "I'm not afwaid of you," he told him softly.

"Do you know what I am?" Remus couldn't help but ask. He knew that Severus wanted to discuss this at the Manor but he couldn't wait that long. He just wanted to know, what the child knew if he was being honest with himself.

"You not a monster, no matter how much people fink," Neville said matter of factly. "I'm not afwaid of you," he repeated a bit more firmly.

Remus turned his head away from the boy, the stinging in the back of his eyes letting him know how much the child's words had affected him. "How do you know this?"

Neville gave an innocent shrug before he smiled. "I dunno, I just can feel stuff. It's why I really like being with my pwants, they always have the nicest things to feel," he admitted shyly.

"Can you feel everything and anyone?" Remus asked curiously.

"Yeah, if they haff more magic I can feel them wiffout touching them, like Grandpa Albus," Neville told him happily. "His magic makes me feel warm and happy,"

Remus was thrilled at the amount of information he was receiving about the boy. He honestly had no idea the boy had anything like this. Clearly Neville hid it well, which led him to wonder why that was. He kept his hand on the child's arm, wanting to ask, but not wanting to feel like he was pressing him for more information.

"Why did you say what you said about me?" Remus asked softly.

"It's twue, you fight da wolf, and he doesn't like that. You'we huwting Somefing that's a part of you," Neville explain slowly.

Remus gave a half choked gasp at that, automatically moving away from the child, but suddenly finding his arm being gripped tightly by the child. He turned away from the boy in shame; but he had wanted to know so this was his answer. The child had hit the mark dead on and it frightened him to his core.

"Pwease don't push me away, ‘cause I'm diffewent too," Neville told him tearfully. He wouldn't have told the man if he knew it was going to scare him.

Remus stopped any movement he had at that moment as he turned to really look at the child. "I'm not afraid of you," he told him smiling at the ironic words the boy had spoken to him only a few minutes ago.

Neville shook his head; he knew the man wasn't afraid of him. But he also knew the man didn't know how to respond to what he had just told him. He sniffled before he gave a quiet shrug.

"This changes nothing, between you and I, I promise you that. I am still your Uncle Remus," the werewolf told the child firmly.

Neville gave a quiet sigh of relief then, he could feel the conviction behind the man's words. The wariness that he had felt, was gone and he didn't bother to find out where it gone. Here was one man who accepted him for being him, which had never happened before.

"One last thing, and then we're done I promise," Remus told him kindly. "What do you feel around Severus?"

"The P'fessor is diffewent, his magic is safe but at the same time its so vewy angwy. It doesn't make sense, and it scares me sometimes," Neville told him softly as he replied candidly.

"So you're afraid of what Severus might do to you?" Remus asked trying to understand the child.

"No I did not say that, I said something on the P'fessor's magic is angwy and scary. I don't know what it is, but it's not the P'fessor," he replied carefully and in confusion.

"I understand," Remus said with a slight nod and he did. He knew then in that explanation that Neville was referring to the dark mark. That he would have to give a bit of thought. He shook his head, as he turned back to picking out their trousers making sure that the child gave his input whenever necessary.

About 6 aisles and 3 shelves away from them were Draco and Albus.  The old man had also gotten a buggy, but he had opted out of placing Draco in the cart. After waking up the child from his nap, Albus had discreetly spelled the child with Revertimini, which was a spell for children he had picked up from Minerva. It was a spell made for mothers and their wayward toddlers.

He felt it fit in this situation, and it gave Draco a bit of freedom without going too far. The child would only be able to go a few feet before his magic would pull the child back to him. At the moment the little boy was showing no ill effects from his bout of sickness in the Knight bus, as he took on his role of picking out their clothes. Between him and Draco he was sure that they would all have the most colorful and fun shirts around.

"Gran'pa Albus, after we get done wiff here, are we gonna go eat?" Draco asked patiently as he rubbed his tummy.

"You're hungry?" Albus asked in confusion.

"Uh huh, I fwowed it all up, on the bus," Draco told him with a pout.

Albus had to chuckle at that before he gave a laugh. "I remember," he told him with a nod.

"I didn't get it on you'we beard did I?" Draco asked worriedly. Though he knew he could now walk around, he felt the best where he was. Currently his little fingers were curled into the man's beard. He couldn't feel the magic like Neville but he knew safety when he saw it and that was his Grandpa was. So he felt better standing right where he was, to the bemusement of the older man.

"Not at all, and even if you did I wouldn't be mad," Albus told him easily.

"Whew, good," Draco said with a bright smile as he started picking out the shirts and tossing them in the basket. He knew that the sooner they got finished with this part then they would get to eat.

Draco turned towards the man once each of them had 10 shirts and nodded. "We is done," he declared with a happy dance.

"So we are," Albus said cheerfully as he started to push his buggy back to where he had seen both Remus and Severus had gone.

Remus glanced up when he saw the old man stopping on their aisle and pushed his buggy towards him and Draco. "Did you guys get everything?"

"We did, we is done and now we can go eat wunch," Draco informed the man happily.

"I'm glad to hear it," Remus said honestly before he rolled his cart out to head to wherever Severus had gone. It wasn't hard to follow their scent and soon he and Albus were on the aisle of where Severus and Harry seemed to be cuddling in the middle of the aisle.

"What happened here?" Albus asked worriedly as he looked at his two boys.

"A child with a rather boisterous attitude came through here with his rude mother," Severus told him with a frown.

"Did they hurt Harry?" Remus asked quietly.

"No, it scared him and pushed him into a flashback. I had to assure him that those people were not his cousin and Aunt," Severus told replied before he glanced at their carts. "Are we all finished?"

"We are, before we make our way to Hamley's, Draco wanted to know if we could go to lunch first," Albus asked.

"That's fine," Severus replied easily as he grabbed his buggy and led the way to the front of the store and to the checkout line.

Once there they all got everything up on the conveyor belt, seeing the clerk's eyes widen as he rang everything up. Severus was very much aware that the man was probably wondering who exactly they were. He had gotten 30 pairs of trousers and jeans, along with 30 pairs of shirts and cardigans not to mentions coats and mittens and the likes. He knew that his total was going to be quite a lot, but he could afford it. It would be different if they had gone to Harrods like his original plan.

Shaking his head he knew that the exchanged rate for galleons to pound made a wizard feel even cheaper. For every 1 pound, you got 13 galleons in return.  And so he hadn't even bothered to withdraw, knowing he would have a wallet full of money.  He was just glad he had his card set up to use in both the muggle and wizarding world. Turning back to the clerk, he glanced at the total. He smirked in amusement as he handed over his card; the bill was a little bit over 500 pounds. Ignoring the man behind him he gathered up as many bags as he could carry as well as Harry and made his way out the store.

"We finish now?" Harry asked him softly.

"Yes we are, we're going to go have lunch now," Severus told him. "But first we need to shrink the bags down," he told him turning to his companions in amusement. They made quite a sight, given how many bags each of them had.

Neville took this moment from where he was holding onto Remus's pants leg to look around. He really wanted to hold the man's hand again, but he couldn't because the man had a lot of bags. It was amazing how much the man could carry too!

"Can we...I mean may we go use the toilet?" Neville asked the men quietly.

"That's a splendid idea Neville we can shrink the bags there," Albus told him cheerfully.

Remus gave the old man a bemused look. "I could be wrong here, but I dont think he was suggesting we use the loo to shrink the bags," he said with a grin on his face.

"Of course he wasn't Lupin," Severus drawled before he had to visibly stop his lip from twitching.

Albus oblivious as always started walking with Draco in the direction that Severus pointed out, that led to where the restaurants were set up.

"Maybe an alley way would be better," Remus asked as they had just passed by one. They were gaining quite a lot of looks, and he knew that to draw less attention to them it would be better to shrink now rather then later.

Severus nodded as he discreetly spelled a quick notice me not charm over the alley and stepped in it. There he started to shrink his bags down, he had to set Harry down to do it, but he trusted the child not to run away.

Remus and Albus quickly followed the man's lead, taking that time to shrink down their packages and lightening their load greatly. 

Neville was watching all of this with an impatient look on his little face, ignoring Draco's attempts at conversation. He had woken up from his nap in a strange place, and then found himself stuck in a buggy. He wasn't sure how long it had been, but he couldn't really be patient any longer. He didn't want to make a mess of his clothes, he was 5 now and at this age in his mind, you didn't do that.

"P'fessor, may we go to the toilet now?" Neville repeated out, unable to help himself. Why were they taking forever?

"In a moment Mr....Neville, as soon as we get done with this," Severus said just barely catching himself. It was hard to remember to use the first name as the child's last name came out by reflex.

The little brown haired boy was beside himself, unable to help it as he tightened his hold on his guardian's pants as he started to wiggle in place. "Uncle Remus, I need to use the toilet," he told the man urgently before he started whining.

"In just a moment Neville, when we're through here," Remus stated absently.

Severus looked up from where he was placing the shrunken items in small bag he had been carrying and his eyes narrowed as he looked over at the child in question. He was warily looking at the Longbottom heir in trepidation for obvious reasons.

"Lupin I need you to take the Neville to the lavatory. Walk into the closest building and ask to use their toilet," Severus told him quickly as his eyes raked over the boy. He so didn't want to have to deal with this right now. He had forgotten one little detail when he had left. This here made him wonder if he was still the perfect fit to take care of them.

"What are you talking about Severus? Aren't we all heading there now?" Remus asked in confusion.

"No, by the time we all get there it will be too late. Neville doesn't whine, so I suggest you get a move on, or you'll nose will get acquainted with a sharp acrid smell," Severus stated warningly.

"Duly noted," Remus said quickly reading between the lines. He didn't hesitate as he picked up the boy and jogged out the alley way.

"Are we gonna go get food now?" Draco asked hopefully.

"Do either of you need the toilet too?" Severus asked giving his godson a weary look. He knew the child tended to put everything off until the last minute and he didn't want any added stress today.

"No I do not," Draco told him impatiently.

"Hawwy don't either," Harry replied happily

Severus shook his head, before he canceled the charm and made his way out the alley. He wasn't sure just where Lupin went, so they would wait right here until the man made his way to them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ironically the store that Remus had jogged his way into turned out to be Hamley's, the toy store that Severus had wanted to go in next. He felt his curiosity peaking as he got a good look around the store. He found to his disbelief, that he himself wanted to try quite a few things. He was tugged out of his musings when he felt a small tug on his ear.

"We can pway after," he said softly, reminding he man of his presence. He didn't like being annoying, he knew that most adults preferred him to be quiet but he couldn't any longer. He knew the man holding him had a very sensitive nose and wouldn't appreciate his accident. Not to mention, he was five years old and past all that.

"Of course we can," Remus told him easily as he headed towards the direction of the toilets.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Severus we mustn't forget that we need to get Christmas decorations for the house. The boys would love that, would you Draco, Harry?" Albus said excitedly.

Draco clapped his hands eagerly as he nodded for emphasis. "Yes I wike that idea. We need to get a twee too," he added before he turned to Harry. "That'll be fun wight Harry?"

Harry looked like a deer in headlight, turning to bury his face in Severus's trouser's leg. He felt safest here, even if he would prefer to be picked up. He knew better then to ask, he was used to not getting what he wanted or needed for that matter. He didn't want to admit to Draco that he wasn't totally sure what he was talking about. He liked Christmas as much as the next child, he just never got to celebrate it.

"Harry, what is it? Do you not to want to decorate the house with us?" Albus asked curiously.

"Hawwy just nevew decowated a twee before," Harry replied sadly.

"Then I can show you how, it's not a problem," Severus said giving into the urge to lift the child back up in his arms. He hugged him tightly; feeling like his heart was being tugged on. Even him with his less than ideal childhood, he had decorated a tree and had received presents. How had he ever thought this child was spoiled? What a fool he had been.

"Fanks," Harry said softly before he glanced over at Draco, who once again had his fingers entangled in the Grandpa Albus's beard. "What you doing?"

Draco looked up before grinning. "It feels nice," he said with a shrug. "And I wike it,"

Harry could understand that, he couldn't explain why he kept rubbing his cheek against the man's shoulder. It was his way of unconsciously getting comfort. He grinned brightly when he saw Remus and Neville and waved at his friend excitedly.

"There they are," Severus said as he started walking towards them.

"We can head down to the restaurant first," Remus said with a smile as he looked back at the toy store. "It is quite a sight, so I suggest that you and Albus make sure that Harry and Draco properly relieve themselves before they go in," he cautioned.

"Lupin, do not to presume that I do not know something, I am well aware about the attention span of a child," Severus drawled out. His tone was light, but the words had a bit of bite in them. Not enough for the children to notice but enough for Remus and Albus to get it.

"I wasn't, I was just warning you," Remus said with a shake of his head, ever the compliant one. He wasn't about to argue over nothing, he had said his piece and it was over and done with.

Albus said nothing, but the shaking of his head, showed his displeasure at the tone as they headed towards the restaurants.

The walk there was filled with the excited chattering and noises from the 3 boys, but their chaperones silent. Severus was aware that he had reacted on the defense. He never liked being told what to do; he supposed it stemmed from his childhood. However apologetic he felt on the inside he wasn't about to apologize the wolf, there was still bad blood so to speak between them.

It didn't help that the person who was responsible for him almost dying or turned into a werewolf had just gotten out of jail that morning. Unwilling to let his thoughts wonder and get the best of them, he turned towards Albus.

"May I hold Draco?" He asked the man quietly.

Draco looked up at his godfather with wide eyes, his fingers unconsciously tightening from where they were in the old man's beard. He shook his head unwilling to part from the man. He always saw his Uncle Severus and he was always with him, but Grandpa Albus was new and different and he didn't want to let go.

"Do you wish for me to hold Harry then?" Albus asked in confusion, unsure of what Severus was initiating.

"I just want Harry to get more comfortable in other people's arms. He is still wary of human contact," Severus explained.

Remus, who had been quiet during this conversation suddenly, turned his head in the direction of the two men. He had wanted to pick Harry up for the longest and cuddle him. He loved holding Neville and really enjoyed the child's company but this wasn't his cub so to speak. No sooner had the thought crossed his mind, he felt the boy in his arms suddenly stiffen. He was confused for a moment before he realized his mistake.

"Neville, let me explain," Remus stated quickly.

"I wish to get down," Neville replied quietly. His eyes flicked over to Harry who was looking lost in the dark man's arm. He didn't mind Harry, his friend only knew pain. And Harry literally radiated hurt, what Neville minded was being second best. It was like; he could never get away from that even here. The man had told him he could call him Uncle Remus too! Was that just a rouse or something?

"I didn't mean, whatever you felt," Remus told him seriously, trying but failing to catch the child's eye. But the boy refused to look up at him. He decided that he had no idea what to do when it came to helping with young children.

Severus turned from his conversation with Albus to the werewolf, unsure he had heard right. Outside in muggle Manchester unfortunately wasn't where he could address it. He sighed before he gestured to Albus.

"Give Draco to me, Lupin will take Harry and you will have Neville. When we get to the restaurant we can switch back," Severus told them both.

Severus was prepared for Draco to put up a fight but not Harry. Which was why; when it came time for him to give Harry to Lupin, the little boy clung tightly to him. He couldn't pull him off and was slightly amazed at the strength of the child.

"Harry, you need to let go of me. It's Remus's turn to hold you," Severus told him gently.

"No! No! No! Hawwy wanna stay wiff you," Harry wailed out, his grip tightening if that was possible.

Severus turned an alarmed look to both Albus and Remus, this was new indeed. Harry had never thrown a tantrum, which meant that Severus wasn't sure on how to handle it. If this had been Draco the little boy would have gotten a stern talking too and maybe a small swat if it continued.  But this was Harry and he was at a loss at what to do.

"Harry, stop that this instant, we do not yell when we do not get our way," Severus told him quietly.

"I want to stay wiff you," Harry babbled out to the man sadly. He had remembered that using I meant that Severus was usually happy so he hoped this would mean he would get to stay right where he was.

"Then you will," Severus relented quickly, giving his companions an apologetic look. "I spoke too soon; Harry is not ready for others yet," he said softly. He refused to admit that it had been Harry's first person use of the word I that had done it.

"I don't want to be picked up, P'fessor may I walk pwease?" Neville said loudly, though the way his eyes were on Severus it was obvious who he was referring too.

"You may," Severus answered quickly before he walked into the first restaurant they saw. They had made more than a big scene and he just wanted to be back to his Manor. Once inside they were lead to a table and after getting booster seats for the boys, everyone was content and in their seats.

Albus discreetly spelled a charm around their table and then one around the boys so they couldn't listen in to their conversation. He wasn't sure just what exactly had transpired outside but he wasn't about to wait until they got to the manor.

"Remus what was going on with you and Neville? What did he mean by what he said?" Albus asked, surprising both of them by being direct.

"Albus it's really not the place for this, I cannot explain that here," Remus said softly.

Severus scoffed, knowing that the man probably liked having knowledge that no one else knew. No matter, he wasn't in the mood for that.  He shook his head and canceled the charm. He just wanted this outing to be over. What had been a simple clothes and toy store trip was turning into this big ordeal. Not to mention Severus wasn't sure what to do about his godson. Why hadn't the boy come to him? He was confused at that; he would be talking to him when he put him to bed tonight.

The lunch that passed was a quiet and tensed affair between the adults, with the children getting a few vibes from them that kept them all silent. Thankfully nothing more was said to rock the boat and it was with a quiet sigh of relief when Severus stood up with Harry once more in his arms.

"We are going to Hamley's, where each child will be grabbing 5 toys each. After that, we will pay and then leave. I am losing my patience," Severus told them quietly as they paid for the bill and then walked out of the restaurant.

He didn't say anything to his companions as they walked into the toy store only to halt them for a moment before they could leave.

"Here is 500 pounds each, I do not know how much the items will cost, but I do not want to make too much of a scene if we manage to buy too much," Severus told him, handing Lupin's portion to Neville as the man just stared there slack jawed at him.

Albus shook his head and refused to take the money. "Draco and I are covered, I have our portion covered," he told his potion's master with a mysterious smile.

"Albus, Draco is my godson. I am supposed to provide from him," Severus told him slowly.

"And you will, and you have. However Draco is now my grandson and as such I will spend my money on him, and Neville and Harry as I so choose too," Albus replied as he kissed the soft blond hair of the boy in his arms.

It was Severus's turn to stare at the man in disbelief; though his jaw wasn't slack it would have been if he hadn't had years to perfect his mask. He stayed that way until the men separated. At this point he was trying to do this toy store run quickly, without making Harry feel like he was rushing the child. He shook his head before he set the boy in question on his feet, finding green orbs looking intently up at them.

"I want you to look for the toys that you want," Severus said answering the unasked question.

"What can Hawwy get?" Harry asked slowly.

"Whatever you want," Severus promised him.

Harry's eyes went wide at that answer before he grinned shyly. He grabbed onto the man's hand, not noticing the man stiffen unconsciously at being touched. He bounced excitedly as he started making his through the aisle. He ended up on the row of stuffed animals and he beamed.

As much as he loved his stuffed snake at the Manor, he knew that it wouldn't last. Neville had explained it and so he knew that whatever he picked today he would always have. And that would forever remind him of this powerful man next to him. Harry smiled as he grabbed the stuffed baby deer and cuddled it to himself tightly.

"I want this one," he told the man boldly.

Severus quirked his lips at the tone, and gave a firm nod. "Then you shall," he repeated knowing that the boy definitely needed reassurance.

Severus noticed that after Harry had grabbed the stuffed animal, that vaguely reminded him of a movie Lily and he had seen when they were kids. He saw that Harry wasn't so timid picking out the rest of his toys. Severus could admit that though he allowed Harry to pick out his toys he made sure to grab a few that didn't count.

He made sure that he bought 3 train sets that were a different color, mentally reminding himself that he needed to spell each little boy's name on them. He knew they would fight, but he also knew that it was healthy behavior. And both Neville and Harry needed to get used to knowing that not all arguments led to pain. He lost count of how many block sets he grabbed along with the toy figures before he decided enough was enough. He knew that Albus at least would have grabbed everything else that he had missed. Grabbing the trolley that one of the workers of the store had thoughtfully grabbed for him he walked with Harry to the check out. He could see both Lupin and Albus standing in a line as well and he was grateful that they all had the same timing.

The line however was treacherous, but Harry was standing quietly. He found himself looking around wildly for a moment, before he remembered the boy was still there. He would need to coax the boy out of being eerily silent. The only reprieve he was aware of from his fear was that Harry was holding onto his leg. Once he had their items paid for, Severus piled the bags into the cart and waited by the door with Harry for Lupin and Albus to be finish. He handed the child, his stuffed deer to hold knowing that comfort toys were a must at this age.

"Awe we going home now?" Harry asked hopefully.

Severus gave him a nod. "We are, and when we get there you and Draco and Neville will be able to play with your toys while you have a small snack," he informed him.

"Otay," Harry said happily as he hugged his stuffy. He watched in amusement as Draco and Grandpa Albus walked over. Instead of holding onto the man's hand Draco had his hand in the long white beard. Harry found himself wanting to see what was so cool about it, but he had remembered how he felt earlier when his dark man had tried to get rid of him and wasn't truly in the mood to accept that right now. No matter, he could check it out later.

Harry walked with the group as they all came together and exited the toy store. He followed the grownups to the alley where they did some more magic before he made his way over to Neville.

"What new toy did you get? You see my Bambi?" He asked him cheerfully.

"I do, I got a lion," he told him proudly.

"Maybe dey can be fwiends," Harry said softly.

"Dey can, and they can be fwiends with my dwagon too," Draco chirped in. He had been feeling slightly ignored today. The only one who had paid him any attention was Grandpa Albus. While he loved it, he still wanted to share with his friends.

The boys didn't have that long to chat as soon after Draco started explaining what he and the old man had gotten in the store, he was being picked up once more.

"It's time to go back to the Manor," Severus told them as he held Harry on his hip.

"Not da bus!" Draco whimpered out as he held onto the beard tightly. He didn't want to do that awful ride every again.

"We are Apparating," Remus told him quickly as he picked Neville up. He was very much aware that the child was holding himself as far away as he could in his arms. He pulled him close, knowing that the apparition lessened the closer you were to the person.

"Oh, dat's okay then," Draco said having gone with his godfather or his parents before.

"Is it fun?" Harry asked softly, unsure whether or not he should be afraid.

"It is very fun," Severus lied quickly before he hugged the boy to his chest. He whispered in his ear before he turned and dissapparated on the spot. He made his way into the manor once he was sure his companions had landed safely before turning to look at the child below him. He was worried that Harry might need a soother.

"Dat was wiewd," Harry said with a slight frown.

"Does your tummy hurt?" He asked softly.

"No, I fine. Can I go pway now?" Harry asked shyly.

"In one moment," Severus told him as he as he pulled the packages out of his robes that he had transfigured back. He set them on the table, watching as both Lupin and Albus starting doing the same.

Harry waited patiently as he hugged his Bambi, as he watched them. "What awe you doing?"

"We're going to unshrink your toys and then have you and Missy bring them up the stairs so you all can play," Albus explain.

"Before you are allowed to do that, you need to do something first.  You and Draco have not used the potty since this morning. And since you're both big boys, I need you both to go use the toilet," Severus told making sure to keep his tone light. He felt embarrassed to even say the words as he felt both Remus's and Albus's gazes on him. But sometimes pride had to be pushed back as he knew if they had an accident he would end up having to clean them up.

Harry smiled brightly as he held his hand out for Draco to take. "Otay," he chirped before they disappeared out into the hall.

Severus watched as Remus ruffled Neville's hair affectionately, but didn't comment on it. It was hard to give comfort to that child, and he didn't know why. The boy hadn't lashed out at him but he had a feeling the boy was still afraid of him. Snapping his fingers for Missy, Severus was able to have her transport the majority of the boy's toys upstairs and in their room by the time the two boys had come back into the sitting room.

"Can we go pway now?" Harry repeated out once he had returned his bright smile still on his face.

"You may, have you and Draco wash your hands?" Severus asked.

"We did Uncle Sebbus," Draco promised eagerly before he turned to look at Neville. "Let's go!"

Neville turned to look at Severus. "May we leave the room?" He asked.

"You may," he repeated watching with a fond smile as the boys disappeared up the stairs. Hopefully they would be able to play quietly without him having to interfere. He pulled out his wand and after getting tea from Missy, he spelled the area with a privacy charm. He used the same one as earlier as he took a seat in his comfy chair.

Albus turned his attention to Remus once he had sipped his tea. "What did you mean earlier when you said Neville felt something?"

Remus who had some time to think this upcoming conversation over was well prepared at the moment and simply gave a dry smile. "He's empathetic," he said with a shake of his head.

"How sure are you?" Severus asked curiously.

"Very sure, he knew exactly what I was the moment he touched me. I instigated it a bit in the clothing store and he very bluntly explained that my wolf wasn't very happy with me," Remus said tightly.

"Did he now?" Albus asked, sitting up in his seat.

"Among other things," Remus said before he looked at Severus. "He's wary around you because of the tattoo on your skin. He said you feel scary," Remus added.

Severus stiffly sat up in his chair, his tea cup barely making his way to the table lest he drop it. He had no idea the child had felt the dark mark, and closed his eyes tightly at the hurt. This meant he was probably incapable of helping the child.

"Then I suppose it's only fair that you stay here, if he can feel it then he won't accept comfort from me," Severus bit out roughly.

"You misunderstand Severus, he's not afraid of you. He's afraid of what's on your arm; he told me he knows you won't hurt him. But he's terrified that whatever is on your arm is hurting you," Remus said quickly.

Severus took a deep breath and turned his gaze to Albus. "This explains so much," he said softly.

"It does, it gives me a better understanding to just what he went through at Longbottom manor. To feel such hatred from someone who is your family, I'm only happy Harry doesn't have that ability," Albus said softly feeling his age in that moment.

"We will fix this, we must. And we will not be returning him to her Albus," Severus told him seriously.

Albus frowned, he never liked taking someone away from their family but he couldn't let his ignorance at the past situation cloud his judgment now. "I concur," he breathed out softly.

"We need a solution," Severus said quietly as he sat back in his chair. He felt like his job had just gotten a little bit harder. 

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry it feels like Draco is getting pushed back, Harry and Neville are demanding attention. Draco will have his chance to shine, I promise you.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3194