A Chance at Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: When an accident in potions causes imaginable damage to 3 different boys, perceptions start to change. One in particular of a dark and stern man, as truths start to come to light. How does one heal and move on from something like this? Who is left the task of picking up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Neville, Pomfrey, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 139081 Read: 160317 Published: 23 Feb 2015 Updated: 19 Mar 2020
Chapter 9 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I know this is so late, but its also 11,000 words so I hope I'm forgiven. Also, I wont be able to update for the summer, as I will be in summer camp. So hope you guys enjoy this.

Chapter 9

 

Severus came into the kitchen and quirked an eyebrow at the scene he arrived into. He could see Harry pouting in front of his breakfast, and Lupin was staring at the far wall with dare he say it; an annoyed expression. He couldn't fathom how the wolf seemed to be annoyed with Harry. He refused to think on his words knowing that when the child was older the boy grated on his own nerves but this was clearly different.

 He wasn't sure what had taken place but he was going to find out. As it was; he was looking down at the table at the spread of food on the table, noting in amusement that Missy had clearly outdone herself today. After making sure that both Draco and Neville were in their seats and had plates of food in front of them Severus took his seat.

"Good morning Harry," Severus stated calmly.  He idly wondered if Remus was upset over the fact of what the raven haired child had called the Potion's Professor last night.

Harry had no such qualms and though he was slightly worried about Remus being angry with him he turned his head to face the dark haired man happily. "Mowning Daddy," he stated boldly before looking back down at his plate shyly.

It was silence that soon followed his greeting, though it hadn't been that loud of a conversation to begin with. Comically it was Draco who turned to look at his friend, before his eyes were riveted on his godfather. "Uncle Sebbus, is dere Somefing you wanna tell me?" Draco said after a moment.

Neville snickered softly into his food before trying to keep a straight face. He could see the protective look on Draco's face and he knew that it was probably more worry about Harry then the man. Not to mention Neville knew how the professor felt about Harry so he was seeing this as an improvement especially.

Severus ignored the rising flush that was currently making its way up his neck. He had to acknowledge to himself that Harry's words had made him feel very good. However his godson's question threw him for a loop and he turned to look at the inquisitive blond. Merlin the child sounded just like him, maybe he would need to tone it down in the future maybe.

"What do you mean dragon?" He asked carefully.

"Why is Harry calling you Daddy?" Draco asked curiously. It was a legitimate question and to be honest he was just curious.

"I'll tell you later dragon," Severus said quietly, not up for explaining the reasoning's at this time. As he himself wasn't completely sure of it either, nor what it might mean for Harry and him in the future. That was much too heavy thinking for it being this early in the morning. 

"Why not now Uncle Sebbus? Why won't you tell me now?" Draco whined out, he was used to everyone doing what he wanted, when he wanted. It had been a long while since he had stayed with his godfather or he would have remembered that the man refused to bend to his will like his parents often did.

"Because Grandpa Albus is coming within a half hour and if you're not finished eating you'll miss seeing him out the floo," Severus said slyly.

Draco blanched, his godfather's words having the desired effect as the small blonde boy quickly shut up and turned back to eat his food.

Harry looked up threw his fringe, trying to slyly watch the dark haired man. He wanted to be held close to him, but he knew that he would have to wait. He gasped softly before turning back to his breakfast, as he had almost gotten caught watching the man.

Severus was holding back a grin, clearly amused as he noted the child watching him out of the corner of his eye. Every time he made contact to turn around Harry pretended he wasn't looking at him. It was all very cute, if he was being honest and had Lupin not been at the table he would have playfully teased the child. As it was the man was there and he wondered why the man wasn't speaking. He was pulled from his musings as Harry started talking.

"Do you wike da bweakfast Daddy?" Harry asked softly.

"I do, Missy doesn't normally make pancakes but these are fantastic," Severus told him with a rare grin.

Neville's eyes turned to look over at Harry was who beaming at the praise and he shook his head as he sipped at his juice before putting the cup down. He sighed but honestly he couldn't just sit here, not when he knew in his heart what the truth was.  "Harry made bweakfast again P'fessor, not Missy," he stated calmly.

Severus turned his neck around so fast he swore he heard it crack. He stared unseeingly at the Longbottom heir for sure that the boy was obviously lying. There was no way in hell that Lily's child had made all of this, or had he? He swallowed thickly, hoping that it wasn't true as his eyes narrowed.

"Come again, Mr. Longbottom?" Severus asked him quietly.

Neville shook his head in amusement, feeling the disbelief radiating from the man not to mention his face. He knew it wouldn't be in his best interest to laugh so he didn't. He gave a firm nod however, wanting the man to set everything right.

"Yestewday Harry hewped Missy cook, because you didn't tell her not to let Harry cook. And so this morning, I fink Harry told Missy he was gonna cook all of it," Neville said seriously.

"Why would he do that?" Severus asked, even as he turned to look at the green eyed child in concern. "Harry why would you do that?"

"Cause Hawwy wanna live hewe all da time wiff his new daddy," Harry answered softly.

Remus gave a cross between a gasp and a choked off sob before he shook his head. "Don't mind me," he muttered out as took a sip of his tea.

Severus raised an eyebrow at the man before his eyes were riveted back on the brown haired boy. He knew that Harry wasn't going to say much else given the child's upbringing.

"I think he felt that if he cooked for you, that you would keep him," Neville said with a nod before he glanced at Harry and gave a firm nod at the hope that was clearly radiating off the other boy. "Yeah dat's it,"

"Oh," Severus said, as that was the only thing that he could say in that moment.

He got a sudden sickened feeling in his stomach as he realized the truth in the child's statement but he didn't stop eating. He knew if he did then Harry would assume that he didn't like it. The child was just so starved for affection he would not be going down that route again. The mood at the table went silent as the occupants of the manor finished their breakfast in peace.

Severus made sure that all the boys had clean hands and faces before they were allowed to leave the table. He would need to wake up early tomorrow so he could catch Harry in the act. This was a delicate situation and he would tread carefully so as not to hurt the child.  He stood up and stretched turning to look at the still silent werewolf, wondering what was going through that man's mind.

"Something you wish to share Lupin?" Severus asked him in amusement. "Perhaps get something off your chest?" He taunted lightly.

Remus sat up and turned his gaze to the man across from him with a frown. "I don't think this was a good idea, I think it's best if I leave," Remus told him stiffly as he stood up.

Severus shook the hair out of his eyes too look at the man in confusion, now totally unsure of what the hell had happened to the man. What was going on?

"Do you mind enlightening on what that is?" Severus drawled out.

"It's a few things, but nothing I wish to go into at this time.  When Albus gets here I will be informing him of my decision," Remus said tiredly.

"Whatever Lupin," Severus said with a half of a shrug. He wasn't about to beg the man to go. "You're going to have to explain to Harry and Neville why you're leaving. I won't be doing your dirty work for you," he hissed out as he made his way out the kitchen. Severus wasn't even sure what provoked the man to begin with.

Remus shook his head to clear it, as he placed his palms flat against the table. He could feel the table's strength underneath his hands, and had he not had his self control probably would have demolished it. He didn't like feeling this way; Harry was James's boy not Severus's. He couldn't be here to hear this; it felt like his heart was breaking, especially when he felt how Sirius would take it.

His pack was all but naught, and he couldn't be around this, around that special little boy. Part of him felt stupid for giving up this unique experience but he couldn't live here and accept Harry calling Severus daddy. This just wasn't right; the man gave off a choked sob as the pain in his chest intensified.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

In the floo room, Severus was sitting in a chair across from the fireplace. He just didn't understand the Gryffindor, the night before he had been alright and now he wasn't? He was unsure of why that was and all he could think on was how much the boys would be disappointed. He knew how Harry not to mention Neville would be greatly disappointed if the man went away. Not to mention, who else would be able to stay with them and help take care of all of the boys while he worked on a potion. It took Harry a little bit to get used to a person and he really didn't want to bring in someone new. He sighed as he laid his head back.

In that moment, the fireplace went green and out flooed Albus in his bright robes. The old man was grinning though his smile soon disappeared once he caught the expression on the potion master's face.

"What is it Severus?" Albus asked quickly as he moved away from the fireplace. He knew that Poppy was coming in after him and he didn't want for her to land on top of him.

"Something is eating at the wolf, he has informed me that he is leaving," Severus told him quietly as he sat up to look at his mentor.

Albus gave a firm nod, he would get to the bottom of this he was sure of it. "I will take care of it," he promised knowing the man really didn't need anymore stress.

Severus gave a firm nod, his eyes turning to look over at his fireplace in confusion as the floo flared green yet again. "Were you expecting someone?"

"Poppy is coming over to check how the boys are and how they are doing," Albus said with a smile.

"That's good, it will leave us with a bit of room to talk to the werewolf," Severus said with a nod.

Albus shook his head. "I will be talking to Remus alone Severus. Whatever it is that is plaguing him, I'm sure if he wanted you to know he would have said something," he replied gently.

Severus nodded standing up once the matron had flooed over. "Good Morning Poppy,"

Poppy smiled as she looked at the dour man in front of her. She could see something that hadn't been there when he had first left Hogwarts with the boys.  And she liked what she was currently seeing. "Good morning Severus, where are the tykes?"

"Upstairs in their playroom," Severus told her as he held his hand out for her medical bag to take. "I will lead you there," he told him.

Poppy nodded allowing the man to lead her up the stairs. Once up there she looked around at the manor, wondering which of the rooms the boys were when she heard the childish giggles and she gave a smile at the sounds.

Severus opened the door of the playroom, his eyes immediately pinpointing exactly where each of the three boys was.

"Aunt Poppy is here!" Draco screamed out as he took a leap from the top of the climbing structure to land in the foam pit in the corner.

"This is quite extensive Severus," Poppy noted in amusement as she watched the children play.

"That is purely Albus's fault, the old man has no restraint," Severus said fondly.

"That's good, they clearly love it," she said happily.

Severus agreed but kept quiet and moved to take a seat as the boys ran over to the healer, well two of them did. Harry strayed his way over to him and he was surprised when the little boy leaned on him.

"Are you having fun Harry?" Severus asked softly resisting the urge to lift the child up in his arms again.

"A lot of fun," Harry said sweetly as he looked up at the man happily. "Fank you,"

"For what?" Severus asked curiously.

"For evewyfing," the child stated calmly. "Hawwy is so happy hewe,"

Severus gently kissed the top of the raven head, as his throat got that clogged up feeling again.  "You are very welcome," he whispered out.

Harry smiled happily wishing to stay in this magical place forever and to never ever return back to his Aunt and Uncle again.  Harry turned back to look at Poppy watching in awe as she waved her wand first over Neville and then over Draco, he knew his time was next but this time he wasn't scared.

"I'm weady Aunt Poppy," Harry told her as he stepped away from Severus and to come to a stand in front of the woman.

Poppy only smiled, she could clearly see the change in the child in front of her and it was clearly for the better. She scanned him, noting that he of course was still underweight but with Severus monitoring his potions and food intake she knew he wouldn't be behind for long.

"You are all done Harry," she told him cheerfully as she bent down to kiss his forehead.

"Fanks!" Harry said happily as he bounced back over to Severus, he enjoyed every single time he got affection especially kisses.

Poppy laughed turning her attention to Neville who was smiling at her bashfully and she wondered as to what that was. "What is it honey?" She asked kindly.

"May I talk to you about somefing?" Neville asked her shyly.

"Of course," she said taking his hand and making her way over to a corner of the room. She knew she couldn't take too long, as she could see the expression on Draco's face and knew it wouldn't take too long for the Malfoy heir to protest via jealously whether he was aware of it or not.

Neville waited until she had taken a seat before he climbed into her lap. On a normal day if he had been with his Gran he wouldn't have done it. But living here he noticed they had a different set of rules. He smiled up at her brightly.

"I haff a secwet that I hafta share wiff you," he told her seriously.

"You do? And just what would that be?" She asked curiously.

"The P'fessor loves Harry," Neville told her shyly.

Poppy's eyebrows rose up involuntarily. "How do you know that?" She asked in amusement.

"I can feel it," he told her happily. "And Gwanpa Albus loves Dwaco," he added.

"I think Albus loves all of you, as does Severus," Poppy told him afraid for a moment that he might feel that he wasn't getting enough attention.

"I know that," he told her plainly. "But Gwanpa Albus don't know dat he love Dwaco yet, and neither does the P'fessor," he said plainly.

Poppy was amused by this conversation and to say she wasn't would be lying.  She wasn't sure just what was going on but she would be getting to the bottom of this eventually.

"Awe you laffing at me?" Neville asked after a moment as he stared in her eyes.

"I'm not," she answered honestly as she looked at him in concern.

Neville frowned as he slid off her lap and shook his head. "You'we magic is waffing at me," he said angrily. "Dats not nice!" He yelled out at her before he turned and ran away from the woman.

Poppy stood up in confusion, unsure just what in the world had happened. She turned to look at Severus who was watching Neville disappear into the ball pit. She sighed as she made her way to him, lifting Draco up in her arms on the way.

"What exactly happened there? Why was he screaming?" Severus asked in concern as that was very unlike the polite child he had come to know.

"I'm not entirely sure; he told me that my magic was laughing at him. It's all very confusing," she said with a shake of her head.

"Yes well, we all found out yesterday that Mr. Longbottom is empathetic," Severus informed her with a shake of his head in amusement.

"I was amused at what he told me and he misinterpreted it," she said with a smile as she realized what exactly had happened.

"What did he tell you?" Severus asked his curiosity peaked.

"It's not my place to say," she answered mysteriously before she turned and headed with Draco towards the ball pit.

Harry hugged the dark man tightly as he watched the healer walk away. He looked up at the man happily and sighed.

"What is Harry?" Severus asked hearing the sigh.

"I've nevew been dis happy befowe," he admitted shyly.

"I'm glad I could be the reason for it," Severus said softly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back downstairs Albus was frowning as he sat across from Remus. No sooner had Severus disappeared upstairs had the Gryffindor appeared. He could see the man looked tired and he knew it wasn't because of the full moon, that had already passed.  He couldn't fathom what else could be wrong, as Remus had been fine yesterday.

"What is the matter my dear boy?" He asked quietly.

"I don't think I can be here Headmaster," Remus admitted softly.

"Why not?" Albus pressed firmly.

"Harry has decided to call Severus his dad, and we both know that James Potter is his father," Remus bit out bitterly.

Albus hid a smile then, so this was the reason why. "Harry knows that, and so does Severus. What is the real issue Remus? Are you jealous?"

Remus had the good grace to blush before he gave a small shrug. "A bit, but more hurt then anything. I don't want Harry to forget who his father was, who died for him. Snape can't take his place," he rushed out.

"I don't believe Severus is trying to take James's place, but you have to realize something Remus. James and Lily's Potter died, and they left a lonely little boy behind. He is starved for love and affection, but he loves greatly. He has found someone who will protect and love him to the best of his ability. Would you really wish that Severus and Harry dissolve this bond?" Albus said gently.

"No of course not Headmaster," Remus said quickly as he bent his head. "I just don't want him to forget,"

"And he won't, not with you and Sirius telling him stories about his parents. You and Sirius knew James better than anyone else. However Severus knew Lily more than any of us. Do you see what I mean?" Albus explained gently.

Remus sighed, he did understand and he was aware that his feeling was a bit foolish. Harry would never forget his parents but he would really want the child to grow up without another? He knew that once Sirius was ready that Harry wouldn't get the best parenting as his best friend was childish at best. He sighed, knowing this was right it was a bitter pill to swallow if he could admit that. And he could, he wasn't ashamed of his mistakes.

"I understand," he replied softly.

"Good," Albus told him happily as he smiled at the man. "Besides you seemed to forget that there were 2 other boys in dire need of guidance. Severus is only one man, if you leave where will that leave Neville?" He said just to make sure the man would stick with it.

Remus winced knowing that the old man was speaking the truth. Neville was a whole different story at best. He himself had somehow gained the child's trust and he knew he had to be careful that he wouldn't misplace it.

"What is the plan for today?" Remus wanted to know.

"We are going to get a Christmas tree and then decorate it," Albus said cheerfully.

"Severus is going to allow that?" Remus asked skeptically.

"Harry has never decorated a tree before, he will allow it," Albus said sadly.

Remus gave a curt nod as he looked at the man. "What has been done to the Durselys?"

"Nothing set, at the moment we are collecting evidence of their abuse and once Harry is back to his normal age we will proceed from there," the old man replied.

"And what of Neville?" Remus wanted to know.

"I will be watching that one myself; Augusta is a very strong willed woman," Albus admitted.

"Abuse is abuse," Remus told him quietly.

"I know, this is also why I know that Severus is the best to help," Albus admitted slyly. If the man ever had any doubts this he was sure to make a bit more sense.

Remus only gave a low growl; he had known when he was child that Severus wasn't treated well. He often smelled the blood underneath his clothes, but he didn't want to be noticed as a child so he said nothing. Who was he too out someone's secret?

Albus stood up and clapped his hand as he gave the man a twinkling grin. "I'm most excited to see Draco, I can hear whining now," he said with a bright smile.

Remus stood up as well and looked at the man curiously. "We had noticed, we're not exactly sure why you too are so close," he admitted.

Albus just gave him a twinkling gaze before the old man was hurrying up the stairs with the werewolf hot on his trails.

~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&

In the playroom, Severus was smirking as he heard what could only be Albus coming up the stairs. He could see that his godson was enjoying himself with Neville and Poppy, but he was testing something. Neville knew something and he would be finding out what.

"Draco, I believe you Grandpa Albus is coming up the stairs now," Severus told him cheerfully.

Draco stopped from where he had been crawling through the tubes to look at his godfather happily. It didn't take long for the little blonde child to exit the tube and take a running leap into the ball pit. He landed softly, as he knew that his godfather and Grandfather had placed cushioning charms all over.

"Severus what in the world," Poppy stated trailing off as she followed the small child.

"Just watch Aunt Poppy, you'll see," Neville told her mysteriously. He could feel the old man's magic getting closer and he had no control of the smile that spread over his face. The old man's magic was so strong and happy, it warmed him straight up. He could only imagine what it did to Draco. Which reminded him to turn back to watch.

Draco got up and ran towards the door, which opened before he got to it. A wide grin lit up the blonde boy's face as he took a running leap at the old man. "Granpa!" He cooed.

Albus caught the small boy instinctively as he cuddled the boy close to him. He tossed him in the air lovingly watching as the boy giggled and laughed. It had been a long time since he had felt like this, since before Ariana. He squashed the thought and buried his face into the small boy's hair. He could worry about that later, but he wouldn't fail Draco like he did her.

"How are you Draco?" Albus asked happily.

"I'm awight, but I'm happy now that you'we here wiff me. I was getting so bored wiffout you," Draco told the man seriously.

"Oh no, we can't have that," Albus replied with a bright grin as he snuggled the child.

The other adults in the room were watching the unfolding scene with varying expressions of awe and confusion being the most dominant one.

"This I approve of," Poppy stated quietly as she watched the scene. "And I can see what you mean Neville," she added.

"What did Neville say?" Severus asked his ears perking up as he turned to look at the healer.

Poppy only gave the man a sly grin before turning back to the scene in front of her.

Albus soon settled Draco on his hip, and turned to face his companions with a look of confusion, wondering why he and his little charge was the main attraction. "Hello," he said with a smile.

"We'll I see you all are in good hands, and the boys are in good health. I will be seeing you all in a few days," Poppy said her silly grin still on her face as she walked out of the room.

Severus stood up with Harry in his arms as he made his way over towards his mentor and godson. "Are you ready Albus? I see you got the wolf to stay," he said as he looked back over at Remus.

"We are ready and Remus has had a change of heart," Albus stated plainly as he ruffled Harry's hair elated to find that the child didn't flinch away from him as he had so done that first day he had been deaged.

"Where are we going today Grandpa Albus?" Neville asked cheerfully from where he was leaning shyly on Remus's leg.

"We are getting a tree so you boys can decorate and do with as you wish," Albus said happily.

"Coow," Harry breathed out excitedly as he started bouncing happily in Severus's arms.

"Where are we going to get it?" Remus asked in confusion.

"We passed a muggle tree farm yesterday when we were in Manchester," Severus stated quietly as he gave the man a wary look. He didn't know what Albus had managed to say to convince the man to stay with them. And at the moment he wasn't feeling very charitable, as it was he wasn't about to make a scene right now. Lupin meant nothing to him.

"And as we all know the location of the alley that the Knight bus dropped us off yesterday we can just apparate there," Albus said hastily. He was not looking forward for another trip on that monstrosity.

"Good," Draco breathed a sigh of relief. "I don't like dat bus,"

Severus shook his head in amusement as he looked at the child in his arms. "If you can grab a set of extra clothes for all of the boys Albus, I will head downstairs and pack some food for them," He told the old man. He didn't want to make a necessary stop like yesterday, not to mention he realized when they were with muggles that meant no magic. And the last thing he wanted to be was caught out in the muggle world without being prepared.

"Why do we need extwa cwothes?" Harry asked softly.

"For askidents Harry," Neville told him smartly."That way we don't hafta come back so soon,"

Albus gave a solemn nod as he looked down at the child. "That is correct, we will meet you downstairs Severus," he said as headed out the room with Draco.

Severus said nothing to the wolf who had been silent; he was through with the man. Lupin never did have a backbone and he wouldn't be making the same mistake he had made yesterday. Without a backwards glance he and Harry headed out the room and downstairs to the kitchen.

"When you bwing snacks, do Haw-I get some too?" Harry asked softly.

"Of course you do Harry, when you're hungry you just let me know and you may have some food. I will never withhold food from you," he promised the child seriously.

"Okay," Harry stated cheerfully, as he sat on the counter top content to watch the man pack their food.

~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~

Back in the playroom, Remus was shaking his head in disbelief. He knew that Severus could hold a grudge and he knew that the man had every reason to doubt him. He had been about to give up this opportunity to spend time with the boys because of some personal feelings that weren't even irrelevant at this time anymore. He sighed before he glanced down at the quiet child below him.

"Was there anything you wanted to bring with you?" Remus asked kindly.

"Nope, but I think we shouwd go and bwing Harry's deer," Neville told him with a firm nod.

"Do you think he would like that?" The Gryffindor questioned.

"Yes dat's Harry's most favowite thing," Neville promised him.

"Then I guess we'd better go get that, we don't want to have Harry sad," Remus said seriously.

Neville gave a nod of agreement. "What do you want to bwing? We don't want you sad eithew," he told the man with a look.

Remus gave a small smile, knowing if it had been any other child he would have been fooled. As it was this particular child, he knew he had been caught out.

"I'm fine Neville, I just needed a moment earlier to come to grips with something's," Remus told him.

Neville was giving the man a knowing look. "You were jealous I fink, and mad too," he said softly.

"I was, but I know that this is for the best. Harry needs this," Remus replied quietly.

"So does the P'fessor, he don't know it yet though. He needs Harry so much," Neville admitted worriedly.

"Why does he need him so much?" Remus asked being careful to keep his tone light, knowing that the boy tended to be vague at best. And he didn't want it to seem like he was too into the conversation even though he was.

"The P'fessor is so very sad, like Granpa Albus is only its almost worser. He has nobody Uncle Remus and he knows it and that's really bad," Neville said slowly, trying to explain the feeling that the five year old felt.

"Why is it bad?" Remus asked quietly.

"He doesn't care what happens to himself, but when Harry is there he cares so much what happens to him. It makes the black spot on him almost disappear," Neville said as he scrunched his face up in confusion.

"I see," Remus said slowly and he did and by Merlin it was starting to scare him. And to think he hadn't wanted Harry or Severus to get closer, he may not have liked the man in his youth but he didn't want him to die. If anything they were in this together on the same side, Allies if you will and he knew what an important role Severus's was to their side of the war.

"Do you know what that black stuff is on his magic?" Neville asked after a moment.

"I do," Remus said thickly, he was in no way about to explain it to the child below him though.

"What is it? I know it's bad magic," Neville wondered out loud.

"I think that's enough talk about this right now, I had one more thing I wanted to know Neville," Remus said completely changing the subject. He would need to discuss his findings with Albus only tonight. No doubt Severus didn't' want them to know about this, but he would be damned if he just ignored this. He was starting to see how much the man meant to Harry or all the boys.

Neville was aware that the man had no intention of telling him, but it didn't bother him too much. He knew it was bad and what that meant, in all honesty he didn't mind changing the subject. He loved that the man liked talking to him; his Gran never seemed to like hearing his voice much.

"What did you want to know?" He asked curiously.

"Albus and Draco, why are they so close?" Remus asked lightly.

Neville gave the man a rather serious look them, contemplating what he should say before he shook his head. "I can't tell you evewyfing Uncle Remus," he finally said with a sigh.

"That's okay, I don't really need to know," Remus said with a grin to show the boy that he wasn't mad at him at all.

Neville gave a sigh of relief, reaching up for the man to be picked up. Once he was in his arms, he steadied himself, glad that the man wasn't going to push it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Downstairs Severus had a small weightless backpack on his back. He didn't want to get tired of carrying their things especially when they couldn't unshrink it. He knew that it was bottomless which meant they were prepared for just about everything they needed. He was waiting by the fireplace with Harry who he noticed was back to watching him. He leaned forward and kissed the toddler's nose softly, earning a soft giggle in return.

He turned around as Lupin and Neville finally made their decent downstairs. He didn't bother addressing the man, still not in the mood to deal with him.

"We can floo to the Leaky Cauldron and then Apparate, or we can apparate from here. However if we do it from here, it's a far longer and stressful apparition on the children," Severus warned them. He was already prepared with stomach soothers and the likes, but he didn't want to use them if he didn't have too.

"I think we should floo then Severus," Albus replied after a moment, knowing it was the best option for them.

"Before we go I think it would be best if Neville, Harry and Draco all have a go at the toilet," Remus said remembering the nerve-racking trek to the toilets in muggle Manchester yesterday. He was trying to prevent that from happening.

"That's a brilliant idea Remus," Albus said as he set Draco on his feet.

Severus sneered at the man but he did set Harry down as well. "Go on," he told him watching as the raven-haired child obediently headed towards Neville. Unsurprisingly it was his godson who seemed to have the issue with that.

"Granpa Albus, I don't gotta go," Draco was pleading with him.

"Oh, well maybe you can just try then," Albus said in a soothing tone, knowing it was better to be safe than sorry.

"I don't wanna twy," Draco whined out.

Severus opened his mouth to speak then knowing that Albus wouldn't want to argue with the child, only to audibly close it when the man retorted back.

"Then I guess you don't want to go out and pick a Christmas tree, or decorate it. While Neville and Harry do, you'll be stuck here in the corner instead," the old man told him with a frown. "And then you won't get to play with your Grandpa at all," he added knowing if nothing else that would get the stubborn boy to move.

Sure enough Draco's eyes went wide as saucers, his hands giving the long beard a squeeze before he turned to run out the room. "Don't weave wiffout me Granpa Albus!" He called over his shoulder.

"I won't," Albus said with a smirk as he turned to look at Severus.

"I for sure thought that you were going to cave," Severus admitted with a look.

"If it had of been for anything else, I would have," Albus said with a smile. "I knew if he didn't go now the moment we got to the tree farm he would have needed it. It would have completely ruined his day if he were to have an accident," he stated knowingly.

Severus could only stare at the old man in disbelief, as what he had used was clearly a Slytherin tactic if he ever saw one.

"Honestly Severus, I've been the Headmaster for over 25 years, and a Professor years before that. You pick up quite a few things when it comes to dealing with stubborn children," he continued happily.

Severus shook his head but wasn't able to say anything as he heard the pattering of little feet and he knew that the boy's were finished. He bent down so he would be at their level as they all ran into the room.

"Are your hands washed?" He asked, making sure to get contact which each set of eyes.

"Yes Uncle Sebbus, Neville made us all wash our hands," Draco said with a sigh as he turned to go back to the old man.

Severus picked up Harry, blowing a raspberry on the side of his neck, relishing when it brought forth a laugh from the child. He loved that he could make the child happy, who would have thought. He honestly couldn't believe it, if someone had told him that he would willingly hold the child of James Potter, he would have laughed in their face. He shook his head, ridding himself of the thought before he headed over to the fireplace with Harry.

"We are going to take the floo again," Severus told him, knowing the child would like to know things before. It was just the way he grew up, and the dour man knew even to this day he himself hated surprises.

"Dat's fine," Harry chirped out as he allowed himself to be picked up.

"May I floo alone?" Neville asked hopefully as he watched Harry and his Professor disappeared into the green flames.

Remus turned to look at the boy with a look of disbelief. "Way to young Neville, you could get lost somewhere and that would be extremely dangerous," he told him seriously as he picked his charge up making sure to hold him securely.

Neville only giggled, the man was so protective of them. He grinned before he settled down in the man's arms. He looked around the crowded pub with a look of disinterest but he was definitely people watching. He could see Harry but he knew better then to call out his name. As Draco and the old man came out the floo, he trotted happily out the pub with his guardians and to the side alley.

"See you in a bit," Severus told them before he turned and disappeared on the spot, with an inaudible pop.

Harry gasped for a moment at the strange sensation, but when he opened his eyes they were somewhere else.

"What was dat?" He asked the more timidly.

"Apparation, it means we can go one place without needing to take the bus," Severus said trying to give an answer the toddler boy would actually understand. He heard the other two appear a few places away from him and chose that moment to walk out of the alley way and back out where he saw the Tree farm. He chatted amicably with the little boy, aware that the child seemed to be soothed by his voice. He wanted Harry as comfortable as he possibly could be without the aid of potions.

Albus was taking up the rear, holding a chatty Draco as the old man looked around in wonder. It had been a long time since he had visited the muggle world and so he was enjoying every bit of the trip. Not to mention, the company he was currently with.

"Granpa Albus? C'n we get da biggest twee dere?" Draco asked hopefully.

Albus's eyes twinkled in amusement. "I don't think your godfather would appreciate that Draco," he said honestly.

Draco only gave a little grin. "He will if Harry ask for it," he chirped. He had noticed his godfather couldn't seem to say no to his friend. And while normally he would be irritated about that, the fact was; no one else had been held by his Grandpa Albus but him. So he had no room for complaining, and at the moment it didn't actually matter.

"He just might," Albus said with a fond laugh, knowing that was most definitely true.

Draco sighed contently as he twirled a bit of the old man's beard in his fingers as he looked around in wonder. "After da twee fawm can we go to da pawk?" He asked hopefully.

"We'll see," Albus answered slowly. He thought that was a splendid idea however he wanted to run it past Severus to see if the man was up for it.

"Kay," the little boy clapped excitedly as he just knew that the answer was going to be yes.

Severus turned back to see why his godson was clapping happily, before shaking his head in amusement. Honestly Draco and Albus acted exactly alike so it was of no surprise that they loved being together. He absently brushed his lips across the top of the raven haired head in his arms. He couldn't explain the urges he was having to fight off right now , it was ridiculous. Merlin, he was turning into a bloody Hufflepuff from the amount of hugs he had given the child.  

"The tree farm is just a block up from here," he informed his companions as if they couldn't see in front of them.

"Good, I know the boys are eagered to get there," Remus said softly.

"Once there, it is up to you three boys to pick which tree we shall have and take with us. No fighting, if you do I will be picking them out," Severus told them, making sure to keep both Neville's and Draco's eye for a moment. Harry was pressed somewhere in his coat, so he had no hope to make eye contact there. Not that he expected the child to fight, if anything he hoped that Harry would act out like a normal boy. He needed to realize that Severus wasn't going to hurt him.

"After we get the twee P'fessor, c'n we get a hot drink and snack too?" Neville asked softly.

"Why would we do that?" Severus asked slowly.

"Well I saw other kids getting those tweats when my Gwan and Uncle Algie took me to get a twee last year," Neville told him quietly, feeling slightly embarrassed now as he turned his gaze to his boots.

"What about you? They didn't give you a hot drink and snack?" Severus asked quietly when it became apparent that the child wasn't going to elaborate on it.

"Squibs don't get special things like that; I have to pwove that I deserve to get it. I don't want to pwove my worth," the little boy whispered out tearfully before he shook his head anxiously. "Never mind, I don't want a dwink," he added sadly.

Severus bit his jaw to keep his expression the same as it was, only a small breath was let out in response to the child. He had perfect control over his emotions, as he didn't want the child to misunderstand them. He was livid on the inside, that the child had been denied so many small things, one wouldn't normally think about. But to see the outcome of those choices, how something so little had the most impact, it was gut-wrenching.

"Not to worry Neville, I think we can squeeze that into our schedule. A little hot chocolate and cookies never hurt anybody," Remus chirped once he realized that Severus wasn't going to be able to speak.

Nothing else was said, the next half a block to the tree farm. Severus was too into his thoughts to even attempt conversation, and Albus and Draco were both in their own worlds. Remus and Neville were both content in the silence so words weren't needed.  As they entered the entrance of the tree farm, Severus took that moment to discreetly spell the child in his arms.  He had already glamoured the scar on the top of the child's forehead this was just a precautionary tracking spell, just in case. He gently bent down to set the boy on his own two feet.

"Hawwy walk?" Harry asked with a sigh.

"Yes you little lazy thing, you have to walk so you can pick out our tree," Severus told him with a laugh.

"But I wike being carried," Harry said with a small pout. He didn't mind walking, but when one was being held in strong, safe arms, why in the world would he want to give that up?

"Do you, I will keep that in mind," he said with a smirk.

Harry huffed good naturedly before he grinned as he pulled away from the man to reach out for his friends.

"Let's go pick a big twee!" Draco cheered as he grabbed onto Harry's hand.

Neville giggled but he followed suit and the three boys ran down the lot looking for their perfect tree.

"I have to commend you on the job Severus, you are making very good progress with Harry," Albus told the dark haired man as they fondly watched the boy's run off.

"Yes well, I'm trying," Severus said ignoring the glow that threatened to explode in his chest at the praise. It was still hard for him to accept praise, but that was the way he was raised he supposed. Which is why he hoped to break Neville and Harry of that, they didn't need the awkwardness and uncertainness that came with that. Not knowing how to take and accept a compliment.

"And you're doing a marvelous job," Albus added with a smile as they started walking down the path. The boys were still in their direct line of sight and since they had came early, it was still devoid of a lot of people so they weren't worried about losing the boys.

Remus gave a small nod at that, though a grin threatened to overtake his own face. He knew that the Slytherin didn't like to accept praise, but Remus agreed with Albus. Severus was doing a damn good job.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few ways from the men, the boys were bouncing around trying to see what the best tree was for ‘their house'. They were unsure of just how big they could go, just that they knew every tree they saw was big to them.

"I fink we should get dat one," Draco pointed at an overly huge tree to the left of them. He knew it was massive, he couldn't even see too the top as it was so high, but he was used to seeing trees like this in his Manor.

"Nope, that's too big the P'fessor will fweak out," Neville said with a giggle as he turned in a circle to try to find a tree that the man would approve of.

Draco pouted but he knew his godfather wouldn't like it. "Otay, well let's find anodder one. And you hafta look too Harry," he told him seriously.

Harry nodded solemnly, feeling a smile cross his face. He was going to get to help pick the tree and get to decorate it. Could this day get any better?

Neville made a small noise before he grabbed Harry's hand as they quickly followed Draco. He knew his friend like to run, so it was to his amusment and Harry's confusion when the blonde boy suddenly stopped and started walking backwards to them. He looked at the boy in disbelief.

"Dwaco what you doing?" Harry asked, unsure how someone could be walking backwards like that.

"Gwanpa Albus's magic bwought me back here. I went too far," Draco said with a pout.

Neville snickered, but he knew that the old man obviously knew how to handle Draco. Hence why he knew they were good for each other. It was with that, that the brown haired boy was still laughing as they slowly made their way to another tree.

Harry was unsure of how long they walked around, only that they were surrounded by trees, but he wasn't scared. He knew that Neville had his hand and if he turned around he could see his Daddy and Uncle, so what did he have to be frightened for? As he turned to go around another corner, he suddenly froze as he took a good look at the tree currently in front of him. It was about the same size or just a few inches bigger than his daddy. He leaned forward to touch the tree, before he took a deep breath. The scents of the pine welcoming him, as he backed up too really look at it; it was perfect. He wasn't sure how long he stood their only that Neville soon noticed he was no longer behind him and turned back around to find him.

"Harry was it, why did you stop?" Neville asked worriedly as he came back around the corner.

"I...I fink I found da twee," Harry breathed out softly, afraid for the moment that they might decide that it wasn't good enough. He just knew it was the perfect one, but what if no one else did?

Neville glanced at the tree and back to Harry before he chewed his lip thoughtfully. "Let me get Dwaco," he told him before he ran back to get the blonde boy.

Draco was playing hide and seek with his Grandpa in-between the trees, and was giggling hysterically as the old man tried to hide from him. Draco always found him by the beard, he was too young realize that the old man was deliberately leaving his beard out so the child could find it. He gave off a childish squeal as he threw himself at the man and hugged him tightly, looking down in surprise when Neville suddenly appeared.

"Harry found a twee," Neville told him cheerfully. "He wants you to come see," Neville added just in case Draco didn't get it.

Draco nodded eagerly; truthfully he had forgotten their quest for the perfect tree. Especially as 15 minutes ago, his Grandpa had engaged him in a game, but now he was curious to see what Harry had found. He wiggled down and ran after Neville, knowing in his gut that even if this was the ugliest tree he had ever seen he would say yes for Harry.

Harry by now was standing with Remus and Severus who seemed to agree that the tree was a good enough size. It wasn't too big or too small. Though it one was being honest, it could stand to be a bit bigger, but as Harry had picked this one out himself, no one seemed incline to choose another.

"I wike it," Draco said after a minute, happy that he didn't have to lie either. He did like it, it was a very good tree.

"It is a very good one, Harry you did very good," Neville praised him with a bright smile.

Harry blushed darkly at the praise as he looked at his shoes before he turned to look up at his guardian. "Can we get dis one?" He asked hopefully.

"Without a doubt," Severus said without missing a beat as Remus went forward to pick it up. The tree wasn't heavy by anyone's standards, it was just with the man's wolf strength, it would be like picking up nothing.

Harry nodded happily as he clasped his hands in Severus's before he looked up to the man through the fringe in his hair. "Awe we gonna get a tweat now?" He asked softly.

"As soon as we make it back up to the front, they had a concession stand where we came in," Severus promised him.

Albus reached out a hand to grab Neville's as Remus's while his hand wasn't full, it would have garnered them a lot of attention to see a man carrying any size tree with one hand and a small child in the other. The walk up to the front was filled with the chatters of the two little boys on the side of him, with his laughter thrown in every once in a while.

Once they came up to the front, Severus paid for the tree before he directed each child to a bench and made them take a seat before he pulled out their small cups from his bag. He then went to the vendor to buy a round of hot drinks for all of them as well as the cookies that came with it. He knew without a doubt that the boys would be hyped up on sugar but it wasn't an option of not getting them this.

They had been very good and deserved this treat. As he poured their drinks into their sippy cups, knowing the cup themselves were going to charm the liquid to a good temperature he wasn't worried about burns or leaks. He loved magic that was for sure. He took a seat before he gave each boy their cup and cookie before handing them out to his companions.

"They are going to be in the throes of a sugar rush after this," Remus remarked dryly.

"I know," Severus said with a shake of his head.

Albus saw his opening and grinned. "Well, we could always stop at a park, and they can run it all off," he stated casually.

Severus narrowed his eyes as he looked to the man, as Albus sounded a bit too innocent for that to be just spur of the moment. "I see," he said slowly.

"Yes as well as give us some moments to ourselves and to reflect what we can do for tomorrow," he added.

"Isn't it a bit cold to be heading to the park?" Remus pointed out.

"Well no, the snow isn't sticking here in Manchester like it is in London. It's a bit cold, but nothing a few well placed warming charms can't take care of. And if I'm not mistaken, Severus has already spelled both their inner and outer layers with it," Albus added.

Remus gave off a chuckle as he turned to look at his former Headmaster. "You have really thought this through,"

Albus made a small sound at that as he turned his gaze to Severus. "That is a good way for them to burn it off," he said simply.

"Fine we shall go to the park, I assume you know of one in the vicinity?" Severus said knowing he wouldn't be getting out of going to the park especially not when the boys had heard their conversation. He glanced at Harry and could see the hopeful glint in those emerald eyes and he knew immediately the answer was going to be yes.

"I do, there is one not 3 blocks away," Albus said with a giddy feeling as he turned to Draco and smiled. "We're going to the park love,"

"Yes," Draco cheered happily as he bounced excitedly in his seat. He knew his Grandpa Albus could do it.

"I knew I smelled a plot," Severus said as he gave Draco a mock scowl.

Draco only giggled happily at that expression before he turned back to his friends and started jabbering away.

Harry for his part was flabbergasted at the turn of events. Never in a million years did he think that his Professor would willingly take them to the park. He saw how the man was in their playroom; he never played with them like their Grandpa Albus. So for the man to actually say that they could go to the park the little boy was ecstatic.

He was planning on having a good time, as whenever he went to the park with his relatives he was always alone and hungry. Now he was warm and full and ready to play, and it was with that thought in mind that he quickly gulped down his warm chocolate drink and finished his cookie in record time.

"Good job Harry," Severus told him as he looked at the child once he saw that he was finished.

"Fank you," Harry told him shyly as he moved from his spot on the bench before crawling on the man's lap. This was honestly his favorite place to be.

Severus rested his chin on the small head as he drank his coffee, his free hand gently tickling the small stomach.

Harry gave off a small giggle, content to sit there and wait until it was time to go. "Do I hafta walk to da pawk?" He asked after a moment.

"Not unless you want too," was the honest reply from the Potion's Master.

"I don't wanna walk," Harry said quickly.

"Of course you don't," Severus said not at all surprised.

It didn't take long for everyone to finish up with their snacks, and 10 minutes later they had packed everything up and were walking down the sidewalk once more. They made their way to an Alley and after casting the necessary charms to keep the muggles from noticing Remus shrunk the tree before it was placed in the bag before they resumed their walk to the park.

As Severus didn't know where the park was he was relying solely on Albus, who thankfully didn't lead them all astray.  The park came into view about 15 minutes later and be blew out a breath he hadn't known he was holding. For a moment he was starting to get a bit worried as there hadn't been a park in the first few blocks and he didn't want to disappoint the children, or more importantly Harry. He relished in the thought that Harry thought he could do no wrong.

 Oh he was the furthest thing from perfect but to that little boy he was everything and he didn't want to mess it up. As he got a look at the park, he was happy to note that there seemed to be a fence around the area. It wasn't much but at least he knew the children couldn't stray too far.

"We're here," Severus whispered in the child's ear, and was rewarded when the boy looked up in surprise.

"Can I go pway?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Of course you can, have fun," Severus told him easily as he set him on his feet before pointing out a bench in view of the structure. "We will be there,"

"Kay Uncle Sebbus," Draco told him happily as he leaned forward to kiss the old man's nose shyly before he ran for the swing set.

Severus couldn't stop the snort, nor the laugh that tried to escape once he caught the blush that seemed to be adorning the old man's face. It wasn't very often that one, especially a child got one over on the man, especially as the boy didn't even realize it.

Remus could only shake his head in amusement as he gave the boy in his arms a brief hug. "Have fun okay?"

"I will an' I'll wook aftew Harry and Dwaco," he promised.

"There is no need Neville, we are right here. You just have fun," Remus told him truthfully.

Neville looked at him in disbelief before he gave a small nod as he turned around and ran to his friends.

"So anything that needs my attention regarding the children?" Severus asked once all 3 of the boys were playing on the playground.

"Besides Neville needing to act like a child," Remus said with a frustrated sigh.

"We will work on that, or you will. He trusts you more, I'm making good progress with Harry," Severus said before he turned towards his mentor. "However I want to know what is going on between you and Draco," he told the old man with a pointed look.

Albus looked up at the man in surprise at that, before he gave a weak chuckle. "I honestly have no clue Severus," he admitted truthfully.

"You have no clue, how you seemed to have developed a strong bond with my godson?" Severus asked skeptically.

"I'm not sure," Albus said slowly, making sure to keep the confusion on his face. Oh he was sure he knew what was going on, he just didn't want to disclose it.

Many people tended to forget who he was and at times it's like they forget that he was human too. He had never thought he would have children or grandchildren for that matter so this opportunity that had present himself he had latched onto it. The love he felt for those boys he had thought he would never feel, not since Ariana. He didn't want to go into that now and he shook the memories away quickly before he could get lost in them.

"Albus," Severus asked quietly when it became apparent that the man's mind had wandered. He knew he wouldn't get any answers now, but he would eventually get to the bottom of this.

"I think I will join them," Albus told him quietly as he stood up from the bench and made his way towards the swing set.

Remus sighed. "I'm not sure if you should pry Severus, Neville told me that Albus needs Draco. I was able to get out that the man's magic was sad and lonely and Draco helps somehow, before he clammed up on me," he explained.

"I see," Severus said quietly and he did.

He knew that feeling, was very much acquainted with it. If it wasn't hurting anyone why would he try to stop it? Besides if anyone could get Draco away from Lucius's Malfoy's influence it would be Dumbledore, he would leave it alone for now. He sighed before he turned back to the converse with the wolf.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry laughed excitedly from where he was crawling through the tunnels on the structure. They were playing a small game of tag with Grandpa Albus being it and the little boys were all giggles as they tried to run away. He wasn't sure when he had first felt but as he stood up to go down the pole; the little boy gave off an unmistakable squirm. He knew that if he was facing the way the P'fessor and Uncle Remus were then they were would have whisked them all home.

Harry was afraid that if he told the men of his problem that they would have to go home early and he didn't want that. He gave a squeal of happiness as he saw the old man coming before he slid down the pole and ran to hide underneath the slide. He kept his laughter to himself, not wanting the man to find him and tag him yet. He enjoyed not being the one it, having always been forced to in the past.

The little boy stood there uncomfortable, his position getting more and more precarious until he almost couldn't stand it. Glancing right then left he didn't see the old man and it was with that he took off at a run, to head up the slide. He knew it was easier to see where everyone was if he was up high, and he was thankful for his knew boots as they had traction to climb up the slide. He was nearly at the top when suddenly, his grandpa Albus appeared.

"Boo!" Albus called out happily, a bit surprised as he had thought it would be Draco he would be surprising. He was slightly worried about frightening Harry and hoped that everything would be okay.

"Not it Gwanpa!" Harry giggled out as he turned to slide back down before running away towards the other slide. As he stood behind it to catch his breath, he swore his heart stopped for a moment.

Harry looked down and felt rather then saw, the liquid staining his new trousers. He gasped softly in horror as he realized the ramifications of his inactions. He had wet himself, in the park! He shook his head in denial, tears starting to cloud his sight. What was he going to do? He closed his eyes tight to wish it away but when he opened it nothing had happened. He didn't want to get in trouble and that always happened at the Durselys.

He choked on a sob before pressing his hand to his mouth to keep quiet; he really didn't want to be found now. Glancing around the park he saw the gate there so he knew there was no chance of leaving, and was unsure of what he was supposed to do. Where could he hide? He gasped suddenly as he realized he could go back to the tunnels and peeked out. He didn't see anyone and hurried to climb up the rope ladder to get there. He ducked into the tunnel and buried his face into his wet pants, afraid of what was going to happen if they found him.

It was Draco who brought the attention to them that Harry was gone first, albeit unknowingly at first. He had proudly slid down the slide by himself before he was jumping up and down anxiously in place.

"Draco, what is it?" Albus asked as he walked towards the child.

"I need a potty bweak," Draco told the man seriously.

"Good idea, let's go inform Severus and we'll go," Albus told him as he grabbed his hand and made his way to the two men who seemed to be in deep conversation.

"All played out?" Severus asked wryly.

"Probably, though for the moment Draco is in need of the facilities," Albus told them.

Severus glanced at his godson before he nodded, his eyes immediately searching out the other boys, finding Neville and swearing his own heart stopped when he didn't see Harry.

"Where's Harry?" He breathed out quietly as his head swiveled back and forth almost anxiously as he tried hard not to panic.

"I saw him by the slide not five minutes ago," Albus answered as he looked from Draco to Severus.

"He couldn't have left the park, it's all fenced in. He's probably hiding, you were all playing a game a moment before," Severus said with a firm nod trying to convince his own self. He turned to look at his godson. "Did you want me to take you dragon?" He asked feeling slightly guilty for not paying attention to his godson.

"No, Gwanpa Albus can take me," Draco told him cheerfully as he allowed the man to lead him to the toilets.

Severus wasn't sure where to start looking and didn't want to scare the children, by panicking. "Neville, do you know where Harry is?"

Neville gave a soft nod. "He's cwying," he told the man softly.

Severus clutched at his heart then, wondering just why that was. He only hoped the boy hadn't been hurt, feeling like he had failed him somehow. "Do you know why he's crying?"

Neville flushed as he looked at his shoes in embarrassment. "I fink he had an askident," he said quietly.

"Where is he?" Severus asked, feeling slightly better at the answers.

"In the tunnel," he told the man after a sigh.

Severus nodded as he hurried towards the structure, looking at it in amusement as he hoisted himself up there before he sobered up as he remembered the reason why he was doing this.

Remus heard the child sigh and frowned as he watched the boy's expression. It hurt his own heart as he himself had often had a similar one on his face when he had been a child, longing. He said nothing as they watched Severus climb on the structure.

Once he was up there, Severus contemplated his options. He wasn't a big man by any means, but it was laughable if one thought he could fit in the tunnels. And he could see Harry smack dab in the middle of it. And like the Longbottom heir had said, Harry was indeed crying. His heart went out to the boy, as he heard the quiet sobs.

"Harry, it's alright," Severus found himself saying quietly.

The little raven haired boy startled he had not heard the man climbing up here, granted he had been in his own little sad world for the most part. "Hawwy so sowwy!" He cried out.

Severus winced at the 3rd person, Harry had mostly gotten over that, but now it was back and he didn't like it. He didn't want the child afraid of having an accident, those were unfortunately life. "It's alright little one, I'm not mad at you," he said in a soothing tone.

Harry peeked his tear stained face up at the man, in disbelief, but a part of him knew that Severus wouldn't hurt him. The man had promised him as much, why did he doubt him? He knew that this wasn't like his relatives; he had to remember no matter how scary it was.

"Can you scoot towards me Harry? I'm not angry with you at all," he continued in the same tone.

"You not?" Harry whispered out softly as he started to slowly scoot his way to the man.

"I'm not," he said firmly as he held his hand out for the boy to grab once he got close enough to him.

Severus continued to speak the soothing words to the child, watching as inch by inch the boy got closer to him. It didn't take as long as the first day and for that he was grateful. Though once he the little boy grabbed his hand, he tightened his grip and pulled the child to him. He held him to his chest for a moment, and he could feel the sodden material on his person but he didn't care for the moment. This meant nothing, especially when that panic he had felt for the first minute when he realized Harry was gone.

"Why did you hide from me?" Severus asked softly.

"I peed," Harry whispered out shamefully.

"It was an accident Harry, they happen. I don't ever want you to hide from me, you scared me dearly," he told the child quietly.

"Oh," Harry said unsure how to reply to that. He had never known a grownup who was scared that he couldn't be found. Well except for his teacher but she had left.

"You are to never do that again," Severus told him gently, but firmly.

"But what if I haff anodder askident, this time a badder one?" Harry asked fearfully as he hid his face in the man's jacket.

Severus scoffed then before he gave a weak chuckle. "Harry, even if you soiled yourself everyday for the rest of your life, nothing would ever stop me from loving you," he stated sincerely.

Harry gasped softly at that proclamation as he buried his face even further in the man's jacket. If that wasn't real love, then the five year old didn't know what it was. He smiled between his tears, knowing in that moment that Severus would be here for him.

Back on the ground Neville smiled sadly as he picked up on that, wishing for just a moment that Severus was saying that to him. But this was his life, and he knew that like always, it just wasn't fair.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3194