Camp by JAWorley
Summary: Harry would always remember it as the summer he got to go to camp and forever escape the Dursleys. Severus would remember it as the summer he allowed himself to stop being blind. In response to the Camp challenge by JAWorley.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Unofficially teaching Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Incognito!Snape, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Survivor Camp
Challenges: Survivor Camp
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 35950 Read: 155533 Published: 08 Apr 2015 Updated: 21 Aug 2015
Rhys by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Harry was fairly certain Snape had seen him by now. Harry had certainly seen Snape... all over camp in fact. They couldn't make it early or late to every meal, and Rhys had convinced Harry to abandon the ropes and zip line course more often to go on bike rides or hikes or to go exploring. The camp was big but it was inevitable that they would encounter other campers throughout the day, especially with fifty of them running around.

Harry had been there for almost a week now and had earned his zipline and ropes bracelet, and his gun safety bracelet (he rather enjoyed shooting BB's at targets even though he wasn't very good), and felt confident enough on the mountain bike to try tackling the mountain bike course, which could be rough and was only open to kids ten and above. Rhys had been great all week and Harry felt comfortable around him, and was glad that he never pushed him to talk about things at home, though he had eventually asked more questions about Snape. He didn't even laugh or scold Harry for trying to hide his face when they got close to Snape or for moving behind trees or even Rhys to prevent himself from being seen. For his part Harry thought they'd done a good job pairing him up with Rhys. He felt like a big brother and Harry liked that.

"Ready for the mountain bike course Harry?"

Harry nodded as he snapped his helmet on. There were different helmets in a plastic tub with a lid at the mountain bike course. They were full face helmets which Rhys said was necessary to protect Harry's teeth and chin in case he went over the handlebars. Harry picked the dark blue and black one leaving Rhys with the silver one. Harry had been on this one particular silver and blue mountain bike so often that week that he almost felt like it was just his. He'd always wanted a bike before and had often been jealous that Dudley got a new one every couple of years for his birthday or Christmas.

"All right, I've never been on an actual course," Rhys said, "but Jake told me all about it. This is a beginner's course but it still has rocks and other things you have to watch out for. It's meant to simulate an easy mountain bike trail. Remember to brake with both hand brakes and keep your eyes open for obstacles you'll have to go around or over."

Harry nodded and Rhys let him lead off like he always did when they went out for a bike ride. The course twisted and turned as it went down the side of a slope towards the lake and then back up again and Harry almost felt like he did when he twisted and turned and dove on a broom in the Quidditch pitch, though he wasn't going nearly as fast as he did on the open walking trails around the camp.

"This is ace!" he shouted back to Rhys after about ten minutes. He turned to see the smile Rhys always wore but Rhys ended up shouting, "Look out!" and Harry turned around just in time to swerve and miss a tree. Rhys who was right behind him wasn't so lucky and went straight into it.

"Rhys!" Harry said. He dropped his bike to the ground and pulled his helmet off, having trouble fiddling with the strap to get it off. He dropped to the ground beside Rhys and tried to help him separate himself from the bike. Rhys groaned and Harry felt his stomach squirm when he saw that his leg was twisted backwards at an odd angle.

"Are you ok?" Harry asked, but he knew the answer was no.

"I shouldn't have gone a round with that tree," Rhys said, trying to smile through his grimace as he held his leg and layed back on the dirt. Harry helped him get his helmet off, trying to be gentle and then Rhys said, "Go get another counselor. We're not that far from the lake and there's always people there."

Harry didn't need to be told twice and he got to his feet, fell, and got up again and ran off up the trail. He was dirty and sweaty in no time and even more so by the time he found a counselor and his camper on the trail. It happened to be Jake, one of the other counselors in their cabin, and Harry jogged them back to Rhys.

Jake ended up sending Harry and Peter, Jake's camper back to get another staff member and a stretcher, and Harry watched anxiously fifteen minutes later as they put Rhys on the stretcher and Jake and the other counselor carried Rhys down the trail. Harry and Peter got the bikes and helmets and walked them back behind the three counselors.

"He'll be ok," Peter said, trying to make Harry feel better, but he didn't. Harry knew the leg was broken and he was right. The camp nurse, Callum looked Rhys over and then said that his time at camp was over and arranged for the pool to be closed so he could take Rhys on the bus to the nearest hospital to get it seen to. Callum left the nurses office and Jake took Peter outside. Rhys motioned for Harry to come over to him where he lay on the bed.

"Hey, it's ok," he said, "I'm a clutz and this isn't the first time I've had a broken bone. Heck, it's not even the first time I've had a broken leg."

"Yeah, but you have to leave now, and so do I." Harry didn't want to tell him that he just really didn't want Rhys to go. Rhys understood him, even though Harry really hadn't ever told him anything.

"Nah, you can stay. They'll get another counselor. Actually, last night at the off duty meeting they said one of the kids fell and broke his wrist and had to leave camp yesterday. That leaves a counselor open."

Harry sighed and hugged his shoulders, being careful to avoid the bruises that hid just under his short sleeves.

"Will I see you again?"

"I don't know Harry, but if I had my way I would say yes. You're a special kid."

Not really, Harry thought, unless you count the scar and my mysterious defeat of Voldemort. People in the wizarding world only think I'm special because I have super powers, they don't really know me. He didn't say any of it, but he wished he could have. He wished he could have let Rhys in on his real life. He thought Rhys would have liked to be a part of the magical world. If only Harry knew healing spells, then he could secretly mend Rhys' leg and they would think he'd just sprained it or something and made a misdiagnosis.

"Harry, look at me." Harry looked up at him and allowed Rhys to reach forward and touch his shoulder, even though he couldn't help but flinch at the contact. "You are special. You're a pretty cool guy. I've never met someone as adventurous as you are."

"Thanks."

They heard voices outside the door again as people came up onto the porch and Rhys squeezed Harry's shoulder. "I love you Harry, ok? Don't forget that."

"What?" Harry took a step back and his brows knitted together.

"Like a little brother. Just know that there is someone that loves you."

The door opened then and Callum and Jake came back in.

"Off to the city with you," Callum said with a smile. "Got the bus all ready though you get to enjoy a bumpy ride all the way up the trail with us carrying yeh."

"Great, sounds like fun," Rhys said with a chuckle. As they picked the stretcher up and carried him out, he gave Harry a serious look though, and Harry clearly read in his eyes, 'Don't forget what I said.' Harry wouldn't. No one had ever told him they loved him before. Ever.

Peter stood in the doorframe and said, "Jake said you're supposed to wait here. I'm going to go with Jake though." He turned and left and Harry sat down on the bed where Rhys' stretcher had been a few moments before. Rhys might as well be dead, he thought, though he didn't mean it in a mean way. He might as well be dead to him because Harry knew he'd never see him again. What would the other counselor be like? Who was it? Was it even a guy? Would he be all smiles like Rhys? Would he pester Harry with questions about the Dursleys? Would he go bike riding with Harry or do the ropes course with him?

Harry stood up and paced back and forth, feeling anxious and sad and angry with himself all at the same time. It was his fault Rhys had to leave. If he hadn't asked to do the mountain bikes course, or if he'd been paying attention than Rhys would still be there. They'd be out hiking or doing something else fun right now. Ignoring what Peter had said, Harry walked out of the nurses cabin and down the trail. He'd been up and down the trails on the bike enough now over the last week with Rhys to know where they all went. He chose to take a steep trail up the side of a wooded hill that went above the ropes course. There was a spot on top of a large rock where they taught campers to rock climb (he and Rhys were going to try it for the first time later that day) and you could see the lake from the top. Harry took the long way around where he didn't have to climb up the face of the rock and took a seat on top. He looked out at the lake, which he thought looked pretty the last time he'd been up here, and didn't feel like it was anything special to look at now.

Harry was so busy thinking about Rhys and all the fun things Harry wouldn't be able to do with him now, and feeling sorry that he was gone, that he didn't notice someone sit down next to him until she spoke.

"You're Harry Potter."

Harry startled and looked over. It was the little girl who always stared at him during meals.

"Um... yeah." He looked around. "Where's your counselor?" She was awful young to be out in the woods on her own, and in general the counselors didn't let campers go anywhere on their own. It was a camp rule.

"I don't know. I broke one of the pencils and I thought she was mad so I ran away."

"Oh. How old are you?"

"Eight."

"Why do you always stare at me at meals?"

She looked shy then and turned away. Harry picked up a stick in front of where he sat and began to play with it.

"You're Harry Potter."

"I know. You said that."

"That's why I look at you. At- at your eye."

He looked over at her, confused.

"You, well... you're in school and everything, and you can do spells, and you defeated You-Know-Who... I didn't think anyone would hurt you like that... like they do me."

"You're magic," Harry said, surprised. He hadn't thought about anyone else being like him until he'd come here, but he had especially never thought about anyone in the wizarding world having to live like he did at home.

"I'm half," she said. "Before my dad died he said I would get the letter to go to Hogwarts. Then I had to go live with my grandmother and she isn't magic and she doesn't like me."

"What about your mom?"

"She wasn't magic and she died when I was little."

They were quiet for a minute as Harry worked over what she'd said. She knew he was the 'famous' Harry Potter and was surprised that he got abused because she thought he was smart and powerful because he'd defeated Voldemort.

"People are mean and stupid," Harry said. "If they hurt you they're not worth your time. And besides, you don't get to use magic in the Muggle world until you're 17 or they expel you from school, so I don't get a chance to defend myself with it."

"Oh," she said.

"You still live with your grandmother?"

"No. My auntie came back from a long trip from Africa and took me away from grandmother. I live in a nice place now. She planted Lily's for me in the garden."

"Why? You like those?"

"That's my name."

Harry turned and gave her a close looking over again. She had shoulder length brown hair and bright blue eyes.

"That was my mum's name," Harry said, and went back to playing with the little stick and looking out over the lake.

"Where's your counselor? He seems nice."

"He's not here anymore," Harry said.

"Oh. I'm sorry."

They looked down the path towards camp then because they heard someone calling Lily's name.

"That's my counselor."

"She won't be mad at you," Harry said.

"I didn't mean to break it, I swear," she whispered.

"Come on," Harry said, "I'll go with you." He got up and lead her down the safe side of the rock face, making sure she didn't go too near the edge, and down to the path where her counselor was waiting for her.

"Lily, where did you go? I'm not mad at you. It was just a colored pencil."

"You mean it?" she asked, and Harry could see that the little girl was skeptical.

"It's ok, come here." The counselor held out her arms and Lily hugged her. Harry thought of Rhys and how he'd squeezed his shoulder and told him he loved him. Harry hoped Lily's counselor loved her. It seemed like it, and Harry hoped Lily's aunt loved her too.

"Where's Rhys?" the counselor asked Harry. He pointed to the top of the rock face where he'd been sitting and knew that she couldn't see all the way up there.

"Ok. Come on Lily. Do you want a snack before dinner?" Lily nodded and turned and waved goodbye as she took her counselor's hand and walked off down the path, leaving Harry alone. He wasn't hungry for a snack or for dinner, and he went back to his spot on top of the rock face.

The End.
End Notes:
The next few chapters are done and will be posted over the course of the next few days.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3211