What Remains by Lyzasnape
Summary: Harry Potter has spent the last year hunting down the horcrux with his two best friends and new adoptive parent, Severus Snape. After Voldemort's defeat during the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry must deal with what remains after a short life filled with trauma. Although he is no longer alone, Harry finds moving forward to be nearly impossible and finally accepts help in the most unexpected of muggle places.

(Set in the same universe as "Not All Who Wander are Lost")
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Hermione, Teddy
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Rape, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: Not All Who Wander are Lost
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 15366 Read: 32919 Published: 08 May 2015 Updated: 21 Mar 2018
Getting rid of Harry by Lyzasnape
Author's Notes:
If you have not read the story before this one, I encourage you to do so. It sheds light on how the relationship between Severus and Harry developed, and on Harry's past experiences that are currently causing him trouble.

I do not have a beta. My mistakes are my own. :)

(Adorable picture is not my own)

"Hawwyyy!!!"

The loud squeal of Harry's Godson could be heard throughout the house (and in the neighboring woods no doubt!) Teddy giggled unreservedly as Harry levitated various toys throughout the room, making them walk on the ceiling, nearly knocking over furniture, and  gently bopping Teddy on the back of the head, making him squeal in surprise. It was this sight that greeted Severus when he poked his head into the doorway of the living room to get his adopted son's attention. 

 "Harry," Severus began, before realizing that it would take a freight train to get the two boys' attention. Instead, Severus murmered wingarium leviosa, slowly hovering two blankets from the couch onto each of the boys' heads. 

"OY!" Harry yelled in surprise, just as Teddy's squeal echoed off of the walls. Both threw the blankets off and looked around the room. 

"UNCA SEBBY!" Teddy yelled, pushing himself up and clumsily wobbling towards the dour man. After the Battle of Hogwarts, Severus had pushed his petty rivalries aside and not only allowed the constatnt visitation of Harry's godson, but encouraged it. Having Teddy around appeared to be the only time that Harry was genuinely happy. Even when Harry avoided his friends, or redheaded girlfriend, he was always ready to see his godson and went out of his way to do so. After all,  it wasn't as if Severus himself had feelings for the toddler. 

 Teddy crashed into Severus' knees, who in turn stooped down and lifted the light child into his arms. 

"Unca Sebby, Unca Sebby! Hawwy Pway! Toys OOOO!" The last expression was screeched out, as Teddy pointed to the toys that were slowly floating down from the ceiling. Teddy was so excited that the bit of hair that he had was changing colors without him noticing. It was now a bright pink color.  When Severus remained silent, Teddy scrunched his brows up and insisted louder, "OOOOOO!!!!" Pointing vehemently at the ceiling. 

The brat is rather cute. 

Severus huffed at himself, looking down at Harry, who was in turn smirking at him. Quirking an eyebrow, Severus began to slowly lift Teddy up higher, and both boys watched him in anticipation. Bringing the child's stomach up to his face, he quickly lifted the toddler's light blue T-shirt, exposing his plump tummy. Severus proceeded to slowly move toward it, as Teddy's face scrunched up in anticipation. 

 "Nomnomnom!" Severus exclaimed as he pretended to eat Teddy's tummy. Teddy squealed in delight, looking down at Harry who was laughing at the scene. 

"No eat Sebby! No eat!" Teddy chastized as he giggled. 

Setting the child down, Severus looked down at Harry who was now paying attention, while trying not to laugh.

Merlin, I have grown as soft as Dumbledore himself. Severus thought in amusement. Schooling his features, Severus continued on as if nothing had happened. 

"Harry, I am having a meeting in my study and will be unavailable for the next hour or so. Should you need me, simply knock." 

Seeing Harry's troubled look, Severus continued. "It is merely a professor from a neighboring school asking questions about a tricky potion."

Harry nodded, worries gone. "Okay, Sev." Severus nodded, ruffled Harry's hair, and left the room. 

Harry looked after him with a lopsided grin on his face, before returning to his godson. 

____________________

Harry glanced up from where he was stacking blocks for Teddy to knock down. 

It's already 7:00! Teddy was due for dinner two hours ago!

Looking down guiltily, Harry noticed his godson's drooping eyelids. 

I can't even take care of a one-year old correctly, Harry thought in self-deprication. What would Lupin say? Lupin. My fault, my....

Harry shook his head to clear it.

"Alright Teddy, let's get you something to eat so we can play in the bath."

"Yay!" Teddy exclaimed, quickly popping up. 

Harry picked Teddy up, transfiguring him a high chair using two of the kitchen chairs, and fit a bib on him. Harry had bought the bib himself, and it was the only bib that Teddy would allow anybody to put on him, as it was Gryffindor red with a small golden snitch buzzing around it.  Pulling a container out of the fridge, Harry placed a heating charm on it and began to slowly spoon the mushy food into Teddy's mouth. 

Once they were done, Harry hoisted Teddy up by the armpits, taking the bib off and throwing the utensil into the sink. Heading towards the bathroom with Teddy on his hip, Harry paused at the door, hearing the exasperated voice of Severus. 

"...want the BEST for Harry, not some second rate quack. I want him in THIS group." 

"You aren't allowed to choose who Harry is in the program with Mr. Snape."

"I am paying good MONEY for you to take care of my son. How..." Severus' rant was cut short as Teddy let out an impatient huff.

"Hawwy! Pway in Wawa!" 

Shit, Harry thought, his heart dropping to his stomach. Quickly turning around, Harry took a step as the door to Severus' study opened. 

"Harry?" Severus questioned. He had already closed the door behind him so that he and the two boys stood alone in the long hallway.

Feeling vulnerable and cornered from getting caught eavesdropping, Harry blanched. "Oh, hello sir! I'm just doing bathtime with Teddy, sir. Sorry sir!"

Smooth, Potter. Really smooth. Harry looked at his feet, face red, and bit down hard on his bottom lip. Before he knew what was happening, Harry saw a hand coming toward him in his peripheral and ducked out of the way, cradling Teddy to his chest protectively. Opening his eyes, Harry saw Teddy's bright eyes (currently as green as his own) watching him in confused alarm. Slowly unclenching himself, Harry looked up at his guardian whose face resembled that of his godson before Severus schooled his features. Severus continued to reach for Harry, more slowly this time, grabbing his chin and pulling his bottom lip out from where it was being bitten. 

"Go ahead and give Teddy that bath and then put him to bed. I've already put his stuff in the cupboard." Harry closed his eyes and swallowed, hearing the familiar word.

Cupboard, cupboard, cupboard. Get in the...

  "Harry." Severus said, gently. "Teddy's things are in his closet. "Severus reached out slowly and squeezed his shoulder reassuringly. "It's alright. Go on, son." Severus said, quietly. 

Son. Harry blinked and smiled to himself, letting the word warm him, and nodded at his guardian. Severus saved that particular endearment for moments when he sensed that Harry was feeling particularly raw or unsure of himself. It was especially used on nights where Harry found himself awakened, sweaty and confused, sometimes sobbing if the nightmare was particularly bad. It reminded him that no matter what happened or had already passed, he was somebody's son. He was wanted. 

____________________

Severus entered the room, sitting down on the chair across from his guest. Taking a deep breath, he set a warming charm on his cup of tea, which had gotten cold, and uncharacteristically showed emotion by running his hair through his long hair in agitation, ruffling it. 

"Harry will begin next week."

____________________

As Harry bathed Teddy, he found his mind wandering to the snippets of conversation that he had heard Severus having in his study.

He's trying to send me away. I'm too old to need to be taken care of, so where would he send me? He's paying somebody to take me? What if he's locking me up in some sort of facility? Are there orphanages for adults? That's stupid. Bloody hell. He's trying to send me away. 

By the time Teddy was bathed and asleep and Severus had walked back into the living room, his guest gone, Harry had worked himself up in worry.

"Harry?" Severus' voice questioned in concern from the doorway. Harry was laying down on his stomach, face down on the brown sofa. A green blanket covered his body and a throw pillow was over his head. Harry looked up, pillow bouncing on the floor, forgotten.

With tears in his eyes, Harry asked a question that broke Severus' heart. 

"Why don't you want me anymore?"

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Where is Harry going? Wait until next chapter to find out!

Please leave reviews! They motivate me to keep on keepin' on :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3219