The Years Between by Aqua666
Summary: With the war over, Harry's last year at Hogwarts and his subsequent year in auror training are as peaceful as they could ever be. Follow Harry and the people around him as they start on a new part of their lives. Mostly Canon except for a few characters that are supposed to be death but aren't.
Categories: Misc > No category on the site fits Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Kind
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 59566 Read: 18485 Published: 18 Jun 2015 Updated: 28 Jul 2015
Story Notes:
This story will follow Harry through his last year at Hogwarts and his Auror training but it's written from multiple P.O.V's (Mostly Harry's and Snape's).

Most of it is build on Canon but I've changed a few things from the last chapters of the deathly hallows. For one, Fred isn't dead.. I'm sorry I just couldn't do it. I understand why he died in the books but I wanted him in my story. So Instead, he was knocked out and ended in a coma for a bit.

The other thing I changed was Snape's fate, he survives Nagini's venom. While this story does not focus on the relationship between Harry and Severus, they will have center stage. As Harry decides that he's going to get Snape readjusted to being a hero, Severus decides that Potter may have some potential after all and helps him become the man everyone believes him to be.
Chapter 1 by Aqua666
It was exactly two weeks after the battle of Hogwarts when Harry finally moved into his new home. For the past two weeks, Harry had lived at the Burrow. Helping the Weasleys while they spend most of their time at St. Mungo's. Last week, Harry had gotten an owl from the goblins at Gringotts informing him that his inheritance had been released on his 17th birthday. When Harry had gone to visit the wizarding bank, they had taken him to a private room. For a moment, he had been afraid that they were going to arrest him for breaking into the bitch's vault. They didn't though. Instead the three goblins that joined him had informed him that, upon turning 17, Harry had become the sole holder of both the Potter and Black estate, which included several properties and a rather large sum of galleons and other valuables. However, the only way that Harry was going to get any of it –and that included the trust vault Harry had access to before– was if he agreed that the goblins had actually allowed him to break in and out of the bank. Harry had barely been able to keep from grinning at that. In a way, it made sense for the goblins to pretend they had been in on it. Trying to arrest Harry, Ron and Hermione for the break in would not be easy so soon after the end of the war. Much better to pretend it was all pre arranged. So, Harry had accepted and left, trying to hide his grin. He hadn't hung around Diagon Alley, to many people that stopped to gawk at him. Instead, he had gone out the front of the leaky cauldron and hailed the knight bus. When he asked if they knew how to get to Potter Park, the home his father had lived in as a child, the driver had grinned and nodded happily.

When Harry arrived at the house he had been so stunned he stood outside, slack faced, for almost ten minutes. It was the kind of house he'd only ever seen on the telly. Standing in front of a beautiful, wrought iron gate –which was the only way through this side of the six foot high wall that surrounded the property– he could see the house a little way of in the distance. The gate had opened slowly after Harry pressed his hand against it. When he was walking up the drive, he could only just see the wall in the distance on both sides. It made him want to get his broom and go for a spin around the grounds. Curious about the inside of the mansion, he had continued towards the entrance. Harry stood on the stairway that led to the front door, and looked up at the four story mansion that towered over him. The red bricks shimmered in the sun and he could see the slanted roofs of two turrets rising up from the back. Somewhere in the vicinity there was water bubbling softly, which made him a bit giddy at the possibility of owning such a grand house that it actually included a fountain.

Like the gate, the door had opened on its own when he put his hand the handle. The entrance hall was amazing. The floor was made from polished, black marble and the walls were snow white. Two large staircases curved around the room. The one on the left let to the first floor, the one on the right curved all the way up towards the second floor. Looking up, he saw two more staircases, spiralling from the second to the third, and from the third to the fourth floor. Standing in the middle of the spiralling staircase, he could see all the way up towards a shimmering chandelier that appeared to be hovering between the third and fourth floors.

At first, Harry hadn't been sure if he wanted to live in the mansion. To him, it appeared awfully large for a single person. Truth be told, he still wasn't sure if he wanted to live there. But, with Fred well on the way to recovering and all the Weasley's congregating in The Burrow to get him back on his feet, The Burrow was getting overcrowded. Besides, with his own fireplace hooked into the flu-network, he could go and visit the Weasley's whenever he wanted. Plus, the large mansion was definitely less depressing than Grimmauld Place. Ron and Bill had helped him move the few possessions he had, and now Harry was alone in the enormous house. He'd already checked out all the rooms, most of which looked uninhabited but were kept in pristine condition. There wasn't a dust mote to be found in the place.

During his exploration of the mansion, he had found several interesting things. On the ground floor, he found a passage behind a bookcase in the study that led to an enormous library, one Hermione would definitely enjoy. There were three different sitting rooms, all with their own hearth, and a bar that actually had a pool table. The ground floor of the right tower was a large two story high ballroom, which had paintings that refused to wake up lined round the wall. While the whole of the ground floor was amazing, none if it held up to the lower floors of the left tower. Which had been turned into a magnificent, three story high greenhouse that had curved walls completely made out of glass.

On the first floor, he'd found his father's old bedroom, which held a treasure full of pictures and other things Harry had decided to go through another time. He'd also discovered the room next to it, which Harry was certain had belonged to Sirius even though the only things there were some clothes, magazines and other random objects. Harry had chosen the biggest bedroom for himself. He thought it may have been his grandparents room years ago, but there was no trace of anyone ever inhabiting the room. The walls were light blue, as was the rug, it had an enormous four-poster bed and it had an awesome bathroom attached to it. There were several bathrooms throughout the house, but all the others were smaller. Well, except for the one between his father's and Sirius's room, but he really didn't want to stay there.

On the third and fourth floors, there were more bedrooms, sitting rooms, and even a training room that held several out of date dummies. After roaming for a while, he'd come to realize there had to be someone, a house elf perhaps, that had taken care of the mansion all these years. There was just no other way for it to be this clean, but he hadn't seen or heard anyone yet. He was looking for some sign of a caretaker when he found the nursery, a beautiful room with pictures of himself and his parents and grandparents. Harry had always believed his grandparents had been dead before he was born, but from the pictures he gathered that they must have been alive for at least two months after his birth. It was just his rotten luck to lose his grandparents and parents within the first two years of his life. He shook the thought of and continued looking around, deciding to come back to the nursery soon. He would make it Teddy's room, it was close enough to his own and was across from one of the many guest rooms, which would give Andromeda Tonks a place to stay as well.

Harry had gone to see Teddy a few days ago, and strangely enough it hadn't been as hard as he had suspected. When he had arrived, Andromeda had been rather unhappy with him. But then, she had been afraid he was going to take Teddy away from her. Harry had been surprised at her initial welcome, he hadn't even thought about taking Teddy. The baby was safe and happy with his grandmother. She had raised an amazing daughter and Harry was certain that she would do the same with little Teddy. After Harry had made it clear that he was not and would not, take little Teddy away from her, they had talked. In the end, Andromeda was more than happy to let Harry look after Teddy for a few hours so she could take the nap she needed, and most definitely deserved.

Harry had spend the hours downstairs, looking after the tiny baby. Teddy had been asleep for the first few hours, but when he woke up, he did so with a vengeance. First, he'd wailed for food, than he'd wailed for his plushy, which was a rather smug looking wolf. After Harry had changed him, he'd finally gone quiet. Harry had talked to him about everything and nothing, and found it was rather nice to talk to someone who didn't care about what he said. He'd made dinner while Teddy was down for another nap, and the three of them had a nice dinner before Harry left. Andromeda had told him he could visit them at any time, and Harry had made sure she knew that there would be place for both of them at his home any time they wanted it. Harry hoped they would make use of the rooms. He was sure that Teddy would come stay with him at some point, he just wasn't sure Andromeda would feel right coming with him. He sighed, he would just have to make sure of it.

Harry continued on his trek through the house, found another sitting room and dropped down in a chair. Two weeks had gone by and he had yet to have a day of peace. The day after the battle, Harry had gone to Dumbledore's tomb to repair the man's resting place and say goodbye. Afterwards, he had spend the rest of the day surrounded by people. It seemed like every single person in the magical community had turned up and wanted to talk to him. He'd been invited to funerals, celebrations, job interviews and an assortment of other appointments.

The next day, there had been a memorial service near the lake. They'd asked him to speak and, while he really didn't want to, he had agreed. He hadn't given a long speech, he hadn't even said that much to anyone there. He'd simply taken the opportunity to thank everyone for what they had done to protect their world. Everyone who had fallen had done so in order to protect their love ones, to allow others to have a happy future. Harry owed them his gratitude, even if he couldn't do anything else for them. Later, after he found out about the estates that were now his, he would set up a fund to help everyone who needed help because of the cost of the war. He also decided to do something for all the orphans that lost their parents to Voldemort. He hadn't really had time to arrange anything but he was thinking of creating a orphanage for magical children –he didn't want any of them lost in the muggle world as he had been– and setting up a fund that would take care of all the muggle children and magical children who already had another good home. Harry had decided to speak to Molly about it as soon as Fred was out of the hospital, after raising Ron and his siblings, he was certain she could help. He was hoping she would volunteer to take on the task, but after seven children, he wouldn't blame her if she told him to find someone else.

After the memorial, he had helped clean up part of Hogwarts for the rest of the day. The following days were followed by funerals. There were so many that Harry was unable to go to every single one due to overlapping. For four days, Harry went to funeral after funeral. By the last one, which was held for Remus and Tonks, Harry was emotionally and physically exhausted and forced, by several Weasleys, to stay in bed until the next morning. The day after the funerals, Harry had gone to Gringotts and started his move into the Potter Park. He could have chosen one of the other properties he apparently owned, but even though the house was much too large for one person, it was his strongest link to his family. And after a year of camping, Harry really, really needed the space. Not to mention that living at Potter Park had the added advantage of being able to house the whole Weasley family, as well as a number of other guests, at ones. Hopefully someday, Harry would have his own family to fill some of the emptiness of the house.

That made him think of Ginny. After it was all over, heŽd found Ginny alone in the common room. HeŽd kissed her for what were probably several of the best minutes of his life. Then he'd left her and went to sleep. Ever since, he'd seen Ginny only when they were surrounded by others. Harry had tried to get her alone on several occasions but hadn't been successful yet. It left him wondering if it was accidental or if Ginny was trying to avoid him. They both knew that they needed to talk, though Harry did not yet know what that talk would entail. He knew that he wanted Ginny back, but he wasn't certain she still wanted him. Letting out a deep breath he stretched out on the couch and closed his eyes. In the morning he had to go to the ministry, he needed some sleep.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Don't forget to leave a review, I would really appreciate it.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3227