The Years Between by Aqua666
Summary: With the war over, Harry's last year at Hogwarts and his subsequent year in auror training are as peaceful as they could ever be. Follow Harry and the people around him as they start on a new part of their lives. Mostly Canon except for a few characters that are supposed to be death but aren't.
Categories: Misc > No category on the site fits Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Kind
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 59566 Read: 18488 Published: 18 Jun 2015 Updated: 28 Jul 2015
Chapter 2 by Aqua666
Harry used the disillusionment charm Hermione had shown him and took a deep breath before he stepped into the hearth. He threw down a handful of flu powder and said, rather reluctantly “Ministry of Magic”. The trip through the flu was as disorientating and annoying as ever. He stumbled out of the fireplace en brushed himself of. The hall was filled with people walking every which way and, for a moment, Harry held his breath. Lately, he hadn't been able to go anywhere in the wizarding world without people staring at him. It had been bad before, but now they practically mobbed him every time he went out. After a second, he remembered the charm and started walking towards the lift. He should really go to the reception counter and announce himself, but he was in no mood. Kingsley practically black mailed him to come, so the man better not whine about formalities. Harry pressed the button and the lift zoomed him away.

Stepping into the minister's office, he removed the disillusionment charm and walked toward the desk. As soon as the woman behind it saw him, her jaw dropped and she just stared. Harry sighed and walked forward “Harry Potter to see Minister Shacklebolt.” He tried to keep the annoyance at her staring out of his voice, making him sound bored. The woman nodded and almost ran towards the door behind her. He heard a mumbled conversation and a second later the woman waved him in. Closing the door behind him, Harry sat down on the chair and stared at the Minister.

Kingsley didn't waste time “Mr. Potter, we have things to discuss.”

Harry rolled his eyes, people had been doing that a lot lately, stating the obvious. “Such as?”

“Whatever you refused to tell us at Hogwarts.” Kingsley lifted an eyebrow, as if to say that Harry should be well aware of what he wanted.

“Could you be more specific, there was a lot I didn't tell you.” Harry answered in that same bored voice he was learning to perfect. It was best to seem completely neutral these days. A single grimace, frown or other emotional sign could be caught by the press, leaving harry to, once again, find his name in the paper along some ridiculous story.

“I want to know everything.”

Harry shook his head slowly, there was no way he would ever tell everything to anyone, not even the Minister of Magic. “There are things no-one needs to know. There are things I shouldn't even know.”

Kingsley nodded “Does this include Dumbledore's mission?”

Harry shrugged and shook his head again. “I can tell you, but you need to promise not to speak of it, to anyone.”

“Do you need a vow?” Kingsley looked dead serious, clearly prepared to make an unbreakable vow before he even knew what he needed to keep secret.

“I voted for you.”

“I read the article. Your backing made a difference, I won't forget that.”

Harry nodded slightly. He had given his statement on who should be the next minister to the daily prophet because he had hoped it would be good for the Ministry. He hadn't done it for any favours he might get from Kingsley, but after the year he'd had, he wasn't stupid enough to disregard such a favour. “I trust you are smart enough to keep this to yourself.” He waited for the Minister to agree before saying one word “Horcruxes.”

Kingsley looked at him for a while, then nodded slowly “You mentioned them during the duel. You said they were destroyed.”

“Yes, they were. We were looking for the last few this year. The last one was at Hogwarts, it's why we went there.”

“The snake? The boy seemed to think it had to be destroyed.”

Harry shook his head “Well, yes and no. The snake was technically the last.” He paused and looked around the room. Taking out his wand, he cast a quick Muffliato before he continued “I was also one..”

Kingsley opened his mouth and closed it again. He seemed to be at a loss for words. Harry understood that, he hadn't known what to do with that revelation either. So he smiled at the Minister “Yeah, that's about the same as my reaction. Anyway, it's why I went into the forest. I had no choice.”

Kingsley blinked a few times “You had a choice. You could have fled.”

“And let Riddle kill everyone I care about?”

“You are a better man than most, Harry. You may not care about my opinion, but I hope you will become an Auror. I would be proud to have you as part of the Ministry.”

Harry smiled slightly. He wasn't sure whether he still wanted to do that, so much had chanced now that Riddle was gone, but it didn't hurt having the ministers support. Even if it was thoroughly misplaced “I really didn't do much. There were a lot of people involved who deserve a lot more credit than me.”

Kingsley shook his head as if he didn't believe what he was hearing “Don't think I don't understand your meaning. You are right in saying that it wasn't all you. It wasn't, I'm well aware of that. But none of us had to bear what you did. You were our hope, I don't believe you had someone to put your hope in this past year.”

Harry shrugged “I had a mission, I had Dumbledore.”

“I take it you did not keep up with the latest gossip?”

“I read the book...” Harry sighed and looked at Kingsley before adding “It was hateful, but it was necessary.”

Kingsley frowned “How so?”

“It's a long story, one that is not important. Let's just say that it held information that I needed.”

Kingsley nodded, letting the matter go. “So, the Horcruxes were all destroyed. What about that wand?”

Harry frowned for a moment before he remembered that everyone had seen the end, they all saw him catch Tom's wand. “It was Dumbledore's, and before that it was Grindelwald's. It's been going around for centuries.”

“Why?”

Harry pursed his lips, thinking hard. “Because that wand is the Elder wand, Death stick, whatever you want to call it.” That was all anyone needed to know. No reason to tell them about the other Hallows, it would only create trouble.

“May I ask what you did with it?”

Harry shrugged, might as well “I stored it in a safe place. I had been thinking of putting it back with Dumbledore but considering... It thought it best if it was somewhere a little less obvious. It wouldn't do if someone decided to dig it up and come after me to become it's next master.”

Kingsley nodded at that “I won't ask. Now, about the official statement, I assume you read it?”

Harry nodded. He had been reading the prophet every day since the battle. The information in it seemed to be as unreliable as always but it didn't hurt to know what everyone else in the wizarding world were discussing over breakfast. “I thought it was quite impressive. A whole statement on the battle and the only pertinent fact in there was Snape's innocence.”

Kingsley smiled “Yes well, I heard what you said. He may have died but that is no reason to let everyone believe the man was something he wasn't. Though, I would like to know how you came to that conclusion.”

“He gave me some of his memories. I've seen a false memory before, these were real.”

“What was in them?”

Harry shook his head “I don't believe he is dead, I won't until we find body. I told Riddle about Snape's love for my mother because I believed him dead, and I needed Tom of kilter. Even if Snape is truly gone, I don't think he would appreciate it if I revealed more of his private life for no good reason at all.”

Kingsley frowned at Harry “If Snape is alive, I would assume he would want to be proven innocent above all else.”

Harry shrugged “Maybe, but that's his choice. Personally, I think he wouldn't care about others presumptions if it means losing his privacy. It's not as if he'll end up in Azkaban either way.”

“If he is found alive, he will get a trial but there is no guarantee he'll get off.”

“Yes there is. I will be there. Like I will be at Draco Malfoy's trial later today.” Harry folded his arms and stared at Kingsley. He had known from the start that he would have to meddle with some of the trials to ensure certain people would be given a chance. There was simply no way Harry was going to allow a repeat of the farce that got Sirius locked away.

The minister lifted an eyebrow “And you believe you can influence The Wizengamot?”

Harry shrugged “I'll do my best. Draco Malfoy may have been an idiot by accepting the mark, but he never killed or even tortured someone. In the end, he did is best to do the right thing. As for Snape, he has redeemed himself ten times over. I will be there to testify.”

Kingsley nodded and shuffled the papers on his desk around. “I understand, and you're quite right. However, besides testifying there is another option.”

“Which is?”

“You are the last Potter, that means you have a right to a seat on The Wizengamot.”

“I was unaware that The Wizengamot was run by bloodlines.”

“It isn't. But when there are empty seats, the old families without one are given a chance to run.”

“So, you want me to run for a seat on The Wizengamot? A 17 year old who hasn't finished school yet.” Harry folded his arms and frowned. That was the most ridiculous idea he'd heard in a while.

“At the moment there are several empty seats. We are in a time of change and we need young blood. If you ask for a seat, you will get one, no questions asked. You could help make this a better world.”

“The Wizengamot will have to preside over the death eater trials. I cannot be involved with that, not with my history.” Not to mention that less than 3 years ago, he had been on trial in front of The Wizengamot. He really didn't want to be the one judging others as they had judged him.

“You are planning to testify for Malfoy.”

“Yes, I am testifying. I am testifying about what I've seen and experienced, not sitting in judgement on people that have tried to kill me.”

Kingsley sat forwards and gave him a scrutinizing look “You know, most people would be foaming at the mouth with the influence you have. Why do you refuse to use it?”

“Because it's not what I want.”

“Then what do you want?”

He didn't even need to think about that, it's what he had wanted for as long as he could remember. “Finish my education, get a job, have a family and live a normal life.”

“You will never have a normal life.”

“Maybe not, but I can try.”

“You would ignore what our community needs to have what you want?”

Harry gnashed his teeth, reigning in his temper. “That's low Minister, but no I wouldn't. That's why I want to become an Auror. I'll help by keeping criminals of the streets.” That wasn't completely true since he was sure about being an Auror anymore but that wasn't important now.

“That's doesn't stop you from taking a seat on The Wizengamot.”

“Doesn't it? I will be bringing in criminals, I can't sit at their trials as well.”

“No, but you can have a seat and not judge in any of the trials.”

“You just want me on there so you can say you employ Harry bloody Potter. Why would I want a seat if I'm never going to use it.” He was getting frustrated. Harry had expected more from Kingsley. He hadn't thought him to be the kind that would use a 17 year old as a mascot.

“I want you on there because The Wizengamot can use someone like you. Especially if it's going to be part of the ruling government.”

That got Harry's attention. The Wizengamot was supposed be a court of sorts. It wasn't supposed to be part of the ruling body. Hell, Harry didn't think there actually was a ruling body. To him it always seemed like the minister held all the power. “Part of the ruling government?”

Kingsley smiled, as if he knew Harry was becoming interested in whatever his plan was.“The Wizengamot will be changing, I told you. We are trying to get it so that the new laws or chances to laws will have to be approved by a majority. I agree with you Mr. Potter, the ministry is corrupt. The first thing that needs to chance is the autonomy the minister has.”

Harry was amused, apparently he had been right about Kingsley after all. He would be good for the ministry. He would have to learn not to judge so quickly. It wasn't something he normally did but it seemed that minister officials still put him on edge. “You are trying to give away the power your function holds?”

“Partly, yes.”

“Huh, okay. Interesting...” Harry sat back and thought about that for a moment. “Maybe you are right, maybe I should get a seat on The Wizengamot. But that still doesn't get me anywhere when it comes to Snape and Malfoy. I want to help them, I believe it's the right thing to do. But I can't do it from a seat in The Wizengamot, that would dissolve the point of doing the right thing.”

“You have a strange set of morals Mr. Potter.”

“No, I don't. A jury is supposed to be neutral, they are supposed to judge on the evidence given. I'm the one with the evidence, I can't be neutral.”

Kingsley waved his hand “Fine, fine. Testify if you feel that is best, but don't come to me if the end result isn't the one you wanted.”

Harry sat up straight and stared at the man. He didn't like the way he'd said that. “Do you have a reason to believe it won't be?”

“Mr. Malfoy was a minor until recently, if you can prove that he has indeed changed his viewpoint, he may get a second chance. As for Severus Snape, he killed Dumbledore. There were students practising Crusiatus on lower class students while he was Headmaster. How are you going to condone that?”

Harry blinked, he had a point. Though, anyone who understood anything about the war would have to understand why Snape did what he did, wouldn't they? “I'm not. But fact is that Snape was given very little choice. He did what Professor Dumbledore asked him to do. That was the deal, Professor Dumbledore protected him so long as Snape agreed to spy for him. He did his job. He put his life on the line every single day. Hell, he might have died to ensure I could do what had to be done. Also, it has to be noted that, while Snape was unable to protect the students from the Carrows, he never tried to stop Neville and Ginny from helping. When they broke into his office, he send them to the forbidden forest with Hagrid as punishment, the same punishment which was given to me while Dumbledore was headmaster.”

Kingsley sighed and leaned back in his chair, grabbing some document that were laying on the filing cabinet behind him. Handing them over to Harry, he smiled and asked “Have you given notice that you want to testify for Malfoy?”

Harry looked up from the papers and shook his head “I was planning on just walking in there.”

Kingsley pursed his lips as if considering something important “How did you even know that the trial is today?”

Giving Kingsley an approximation of one of those mysterious smiled Dumbledore had been so well versed in, Harry answered “I have my sources” Truth was, he wouldn't have know had he not overheard someone talk about it on his way to Kingsley's office. He'd decided he wanted to testify for Malfoy several days earlier but hadn't known when the trial was. The ministry was rather closed mouthed when it came to the trials. Though, The Prophet had taken to sending out a supplementary each evening that chronicled the trials that had taken place that day. For a small fee off course.

Harry had planned to ask Kingsley for information but since he'd already known, no matter how much luck had been involved in getting the information, there was no need to let the minister know how little he knew of what was going on. He found it rather irksome that he was unable to go out and talk to people without changing his appearance. If only the mobs stopped cropping up, he could go out and get whatever he needed without having to beg. The only good thing about his fame was that most people instantly liked him and wanted to give him anything he desired. And yet, he couldn't use it for anything, no matter how important, because it came attached to the most dangerous adoration.

Kingsley pulled him out of his thoughts when he let out a soft huff of irritation. Pointing at the papers he'd handed Harry he said “Those contain the information about the trial you will need. Time and place are one the first page, as is a list with the charges against him. There is also a list of the evidence we have, the names of the people who will testify and some other pertinent papers. I was about to copy and bind them but since you are here. Is there anything you like to add?”

Harry looked down at the paper and looked over the first page.


Death Eater Trial - #56

Date: 19th of May 1998
Time: 10 AM
Accused: Draco Lucius Malfoy

Charged with:
Willingly allied with Tom Marvolo Riddle, also known as Lord Voldemort.
Helped several death eaters invade Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry leading to the death of late Headmaster Albus Dumbledore.
Attacked Harry Potter and friends during The Battle of Hogwarts.



Harry looked as Kingsley, slightly confused. These were the crimes they were charging Draco with? It wasn't like they were inconsequential but all in all, it didn't seem such a big deal. They hadn't charged him for the other attempts he'd made on Dumbledore's life. Nor, it seemed, had they been able to discover any other specifics of what Malfoy had done during the past year. He was slightly curious as to why though. It seemed rather unlikely that they knew of his involvement with Albus's death, yet had not linked the cursed pendant or poisoned wine to him. Rather than asking any of that and risking more charges getting added, he asked “How do you know what happened during the battle? I don't think I ever mentioned an attack by Malfoy.”

“He was there with Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, was he not?”

Harry pursed his lips and thought. “Well, yeah he was.. But have you ever seen those two? Malfoy may have been their leader for years but things changed rather a lot for him this past year.”

Kingsley sat forward, curiosity written all over his face. “Voldemort was living in his house, off course things changed. How does this relate to that attack?”

Harry shrugged “By the time the battle happened, Draco was scared of his own shadow. At least, that's how he seemed to me. He tried to keep them from killing us.”

“You're saying you think he was there to help you?”

Harry shook his head, that was not it at all. “I don't think he knew what he was doing. He got so deep into shit he had nowhere else to turn. What would you do when your view on the world, as well as the world itself, was being ripped apart piece by piece and you had no way to stop it.”

Kingsley pursed his lips “Try to find a way, or find someone else who might be able to help.”

“Yeah... But you're forgetting that we are essentially still children, we're still in school. And it's not as if we've been prepared to deal with anything like this. As for finding someone who can help.. He's a Malfoy, a rather arrogant and proud one at that. Even if he tried to approach someone on our side for help, nobody would have given it.”

“That does not excuse him from following bastard's orders.”

Harry chuckled at the curse, it was nice to know that being the minister of magic did not equal being perfectly proper all the time. “He didn't follow orders. He followed his friends, which were idiots true, but still.. They were his closest friends.. And he tried to stop them from killing us. Not to mention that he didn't even try to get back into Voldemort's good graces when he had the chance. Just because he wasn't on our side doesn't mean he was on his. At least, not after he understood what Voldemort's side was really like.”

“What could he have done to get back into their inner circle that he refused?”

“When they the snatchers brought us to Malfoy Manor... Hermione used a stinging hex to obscure my face so they didn't know who I was. They called Draco to verify if it was me but he told them he didn't know. It's the only reason we got out of there before Riddle turned up.”

“That doesn't prove anything, he might not have been able to tell it was you either.”

Harry scoffed and waved his hand in a dismissive manner “Malfoy and I have never gotten along, but I know him. He recognized me all right, I'm more than certain of that.”

“That may be so, but it isn't enough to dismiss any of the charges. Though, it might help if you're trying to prove that he has learned from his experience.”

“That was the idea.. It's rather hard to prove him innocent when we all know he wasn't.. I just think he has been punished enough. Especially since his father just got locked up for.. how many years was it?”

Kingsley sighed “Ten years. It's seems he still holds rather a lot of influence even after everything. The fact that all three Malfoy's left while everyone still believed Riddle the victor was also taken into account.”

Harry just nodded. Most everyone may have believed him death and the Battle lost, but Narcissa Malfoy had known he was still alive. But Harry didn't mention it, it didn't really matter. Lucius was paying for his idiocy. There was no reason to punish Draco or his mother when it was clear to Harry that they were just trying to survive. For a moment, he wondered if he was turning into Dumbledore.. Deciding the fate of other's simply because he believed it was the right thing to do. He shrugged it of though, he was just trying to help. It's what he always did. Looking down he riffled through the other papers. The list of evidence was small. As was the list of witnesses. He noticed most were either students of teachers at Hogwarts. “Which of these witnesses are on his side?”

“The students as well as the teachers are there for character witnesses. The headmistress chose them, they are there for their honest opinions. As for the other two, they are witnesses to certain events.”

Pursing his lips he looked over the names. The first two names he recognized as a Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff from their year, though he knew neither of them very well. He assumed they had been chosen for their neutral observations of Malfoy, as it seemed unlikely that Malfoy was very familiar with either of them. Next was, to Harry's amazement, Neville Longbottom. Which made him wonder if maybe he had been wrong and the Hufflepuff girl and Ravenclaw boy had been enemies of Draco. Since Neville was about as neutral as Harry when it came to Draco. Then again, Neville had become quit the man this past year, he might have agreed to speak at the hearing for the same reason as Harry. Then there was the Slytherin Theodore Nott, which was an interesting choice to say the least. While neither of Draco's goons would be able to be there, since one was death and the other was awaiting his own trial, there was Blaise as well as several girls that had seemed to like Malfoy. Though Nott had never seemed adverse to Draco, he had always been the most silent an reserved of the Slytherins in their year.

Then there were the professors. Slughorn, Flitwick, Sinistra and McGonagall. Harry wasn't sure what to think of that. Slughorn hadn't wanted Malfoy in his little club but that was most likely just because he wanted to stay as far away from Riddle as possible, which would be rather hard to do when cozying up to someone living at Riddle's headquarters. As for Flitwick and Sinistra, Harry had no idea how well Draco did in their classes or if he got along with him. And McGonagall, well she was fair. She would answer The Wizengamot's questions with complete honesty and hope they would do whatever was right.

Well, Harry wasn't going to make it that easy for them to convict the little buggard. Turning over to the next page he saw a consent form for the use of Veritaserum, signed by Draco. He smiled and looked up at the Minister. “You are going to administer Veritaserum?” When Kingsley nodded Harry sat forward and asked “May I ask him some questions?”

Kingsley sighed deeply and shook his head “At the moment, the questions can only be asked by me or the defence advocate.”

“Who's defending Draco?” Harry asked, looking at his watch and wondering if he could find whomever it was in time.

“I'm not certain...” Harry was already rifling through the other pages when Kingsley added “But if there are specific questions I should ask, I would be willing.”

Glancing up, Harry grinned at the man “All right. First, you have to confirm this first Accusation you're making. Ask about the circumstances surrounding him receiving his mark.” Kingsley nodded in acknowledgement “Next, I need you to ask him why he didn't kill Albus as soon as he had him disarmed.”

“Why? He isn't accused of that, we all know it was Severus Snape.”

Harry shrugged “Yes, as for that... I think I need to share one or two memories with you but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do..”

Kingsley waved that away “Finish the questions first, we can talk about the memories after.”

Nodding Harry continued “You need to ask if he attacked me during the battle... He may have been there, and we may have had words, but he never attacked me or my friends. You should also ask why he didn't betray me at Malfoy Manor and if he ever intents to harm anyone again.”

“Those first two are fine but are you sure about that last one? If he says yes he will be locked away for the rest of his life, no matter what else happens..”

Harry sighed and leaned back “Make it more specific then. Something like, harm someone for no good reason or something.”

The minister frowned and shook his head “That won't work. Someone may believe something to be a good reason even though it truly isn't. You want me to ask a question that will show he has changed, correct?”

Harry nodded and Kingsley held out his hand for the forms. After reading a few lines on one of the papers he looked back at Harry with a slight smile. “We are usually prohibited from asking such questions under Veritaserum. As I said, questions of intent are often too vague. However, Mr. Malfoy seems to have had no problem singing an open form. We are allowed to ask whatever we wish, though the defence is allowed to ask follow up questions when he feels the answer was unsatisfactory.”

“That's all right then. I'm here to get him another chance, not get him kissed.” Harry grimaced slightly, him getting Draco kissed was wrong in any sense. Also, was it truly necessary to call such a gruesome way of murder after something as pleasant as a kiss... Shaking his head to get back on track he glanced at his watch again. Malfoy's trial would be held in 3 hours. It would be best if they got on with things. Especially since Harry had no idea if the minister had something else besides the Malfoy trial he wanted to discuss. “The memories I mentioned..”

“Since you feel the need to show me but are reluctant, I assume these are Snape's memories?”

Harry nodded, biting his lip in indecision. It wasn't like he was showing any of Snape's personal memories, the ones that were needed now were purely informational. Yet, he couldn't quite bring himself to do it. “I haven't shown them to anyone since I learned that his body was never found. I just can't imagine he would appreciate it if I shared them with all and sunder.”

“No, I don't imagine so. The Headmistress mentioned she had seen the memories as well, it was mentioned in one of the articles. Is that information correct?”

“Yes, I told her to watch them when I was on my way to the forest.”

“Then we have two rather believable witnesses and you could simply give us the relevant information during the trial. It may not be as strong as the actual memory but it may be good enough.. Depending on the information off course.”

Harry sighed and started explaining. “Well.. It's about Dumbledore's death.. I have a memory where Albus makes Snape swear that he will kill him when the time comes..”

Blinking a few times, Kingsley pursed his lips and sat back “What does that have to do with Malfoy?”

“Dumbledore told Snape that it was for the best. That Draco could still be saved, as long as he didn't kill, he could still be saved. Combine that with what I saw..”

“Well I can see how Albus knowing about the plot might make a difference.. But if you are going to testify on the murder of Albus during this trial, it will be included if Severus Snape is ever found.”

Harry shrugged, not really worried about that. Getting Snape of would be a breeze compared to Malfoy's trial. Assisted suicide was, after all, not a punishable crime in the wizarding world. At least, it wasn't as far as Harry knew. He'd have to look that up if Snape was ever found.

Sighing, Harry flicked his wand out of his newly acquired wrist holster, and conjured a small flask. Drawing out his memory of that night, he put it in the flask and handed it over to Kingsley. “That is my memory of what happened that night. When you watch it, remember that Draco knew that Snape made a vow to protect him but had no idea of Snape's allegiance. Albus had convinced him not to do it, he was putting away his wand and then...” Harry let the sentence drop. Even now, it was hard to talk about. Harry didn't think it would ever be easy.

Kingsley nodded and put the bottle to the side. “I will look at it and evaluate if it should be added to the evidence.”

Harry bit his lip in silent worry. None of the previous ministers had inspired trust or respect and for a brief moment, Harry worried whether it was a smart idea to ask Kingsley to help with Draco. He was after all the one charged with dealing with the aftermath of the war. Harry just couldn't decide if giving Draco Malfoy a second chance was very high on the minister's list of things to do. Harry wouldn't blame the man if it wasn't, Kingsley was no doubt knee high in political crap at the moment.

“That's fine, anything you can do. Was there anything else we needed to discuss?”

Nodding, Kingsley stood up and started to move some papers around. A minute later he let out a 'aha' and handed four folders to Harry. All four had a surname written on them, Potter, Black, Peverell and Snape. Harry looked at that last one for a long time before he looked up at the minister, still confused as hell. “What are these?”

Smiling, Kingsley sat back down and pointed at the folders. “Those are all the legal documents that we should have handed over to you once you turned 17.. Well, except for Snape's.. That was rather surprising to be honest.”

Opening the first folder, Harry saw that it had several documents inside pertaining to the Potters. At the end there was a note that the deeds to properties and several other assets belonging to the Potters could be found at Gringotts. The Black folder was much the same. It had Sirius's will, the deed to Grimmauld Place, and some forms Harry didn't recognize and would have to check out later.

The Peverell folder was a bit different. Inside were only two pieces of parchment. The first piece looked ancient and ready to crumble, embossed with the Peverell name in what looked like real gold. It listed the last three generations of Peverells, his own name, in an elaborate script, at the bottom. The second parchment was a statement from Gringotts that there was a small vault in the Peverell name that could be claimed by Lord Peverell if he can present the correct item. Harry didn't know what to make of that. It was likely that they would need to see one of the Hallow, seeing as it was the Peverell vault.. The question was, which one. The oldest brother died a few day later when someone decided to steal the wand. Harry didn't think the second brother had any children, seeing as he had loved a death woman, but then again... The Gaunts had the stone so it was possible... Harry dismissed the notion. Since the first parchment had his and his father's names on it, it was most likely that he needed to present the cloak.

Nodding to himself, he turned to the last one. Snape's.. Harry glared at the name for another moment before he opened the folder. Inside was a letter.

Mr. Potter,

As you have received this letter it is most likely that I am dead. I can only hope that I was able to complete my mission. However, if I was not able, it might be possible you'll read this in time.. Sadly, as you are not known for your deductive reasoning and I'm sure that this clue will go over your head, all I can tell you is this: You are the last one. You will die.

Since I am no longer alive, you might as well no the truth. When I was younger, I knew your mother. I loved her. Now, don't go believing that my hatred for your father was simple jealousy. It was not. I tell you this because I have no heirs. The only person I ever truly loved was your mother. Therefore, I have made you the recipient of my estate. As you have enough money, I left instructions for my savings. I have also made arrangements for my book collection to go to Hogwarts, since I am certain there are students who will appreciate them more than you. I have however, left you my childhood home. It is old and dilapidated, just the place you would imagine me to live in. But it is in the same neighbourhood your mother grew up in, and there are quite a few pictures of her that you might want to take a look at.

Good luck Mr. Potter.

S.S.


Harry grinned slightly, Snape might have hated him but he'd still thought of leaving the pictures of his mother to him. It was a nice gesture. “Where is this house supposed to be?”

“On Spinners End in Cokeworth. It's where we found the letter.”

Harry glanced at the minister “You went through his house?”

Kingsley sighed softly “Snape was a priority. When he wasn't found after the battle, the Aurors went to his him to search for clues as to where he might be hiding. By the time you told your story, it was already done.”

Harry didn't reply. He wasn't sure what to say. He didn't agree with searching houses of innocent people. But he could understand why they had acted so quickly. The evidence against Snape was overwhelming, nobody could have guessed him innocent. Not after killing Albus. “I assume you didn't actually follow through with his will? I mean, he hasn't been declared death yet.”

“Oh no, we put everything in storage once you told your story. It may become evidence if he is found alive and goes to trial, but it won't be used unless he is found or declared death in absentia.”

“Then why give me the letter?”

Kingsley shrugged “Thought you might still need it. We weren't sure what that clue meant, we had actually assumed it was a death threat. Then you told us he was innocent and I figured it would be best for you to have the information. Now that you've told me the whole story, I understand what he meant. But still, you might as well have it.”

Harry nodded, not sure what to do with the letter. There was nothing new in it. Well, except for the house that Snape had wanted to leave him. Something which completely confounded Harry. “Would it be possible for me to check out his house? There might be a clue as to where he is.. Since you guys are all busy rounding up Riddle's followers...”

“Technically, it would be considered trespassing. So if the Professor were to turn up and found you on his property...”

Harry grimaced and nodded “Gotcha. Make sure I don't get caught.”

Chuckling softly the minister shook his head at his comment. “I will pretend I didn't hear that.”

“All right. So.. Not sure if I should bother you with this, seeing as you are the minister of magic and all but.. Could you explain what these documents in the Potter and Black folder are all about?”

“I could, but my explanation would be severely lacking. Most of those have to do with family legalities. There are certain contracts that are handed down from one Lord to the next. You'll likely have some information on Gringotts contacts, possibly a list of properties, things like that.” Kingsley paused and started riffling through one of the lower drawers. After a moment he let out a soft 'aha' and, after straightening his robe, handed Harry a small cart with and address written on it. “That's the contact information for a Miranda Smith. She used to work in our legal department and, though she was muggle-born herself, spend a great deal of her time working with those kind of family papers.”

Harry smiled slightly “A muggle-born handled most of the papers for The Noble Families? I would have loved to see Malfoy's face when he realized that.”

“Yes well, Luckily it is not their choice whom we employ. As for Miranda, she fled the country two years ago but I heard she returned. I'm certain she would be more than delighted to help you out. Though, it might be best if you can get another Head of the Family to help you with the finer details of the position.”

“Does it really matter? I mean, I'm head of a non-existent family..”

“Come now Mr. Potter, don't be so negative. I'm sure that you will have children one day. What's more, you are the head of three families.. Though, two of them have all but vanished, there are still several member of the Black lineage who would be happy for you to serve as Lord Black.”

Harry closed his eyes for a second. He didn't like that title. The last person who'd carried it was Sirius and he didn't like taking it away from him, even if Sirius was gone. “I would rather live my life without ever being referred to as a Lord, let alone Lord Black..”

“That's good, since you would technically be Lord Harry James Potter Black Peverell.”

Harry blinked a few times before he led out a long groan. That was even worse. “Why in that order?”

“Normally the oldest and most powerful goes last. In this case though, Peverell is clearly the oldest but it has also been considered extinct for many years..” Kingsley frowned for a moment for shook his head and continued. “I have to admit that we were all slightly surprised when we fold the Peverell files inside the Potter folder.”

“They weren't like this before?” Harry interrupted without thinking. Luckily, the minister didn't mind the rudeness.

“No they were not. When retrieving the papers that were to be given to you on your 17th birthday, I looked them over to ensure it was in order and noticed those two parchments. I did a quick search to see if there was anything else in our files on the family but came up empty. The papers for the Peverell lordship have not been files in many, many years. I must admit, I am rather curious to see if you are able to locate them.”

“Do I have to file any papers for the Potter or Black family?”

“For the Black family, yes. I noticed a few family contracts in there. When those are involved, the lineage papers are required. I don't know about the Potter family. It's possible that you need to file them in order to gain access to your vaults.”

Harry sat up with a frown “I already have access.”

Kingsleys eyebrows rose and he looked at Potter for a long moment “And you have spoken to your account manager?”

“Uuh..” Harry hedged. He hadn't really looked at any of it yet. Not that he hadn't wanted to, he'd been curious about his state of affairs on several occasions. He just hadn't found the time to go to Gringotts and take a look at the vaults.. Or more precisely, he hadn't found the will to go out in public for money he didn't need yet.

Kingsley didn't judge him though. He just smiled like he completely understood and said “Well, you might want to go and take a look. There may be papers and other items in those vaults.”

Harry just nodded glumly at the prospect. He really didn't like going to Diagon Alley. Since the battle, he'd gone twice. Once so early, the street had been eerily deserted Harry had shivered slightly, remembering the last time he'd seen it so empty. The other time during the afternoon, when it was rather busy and both Neville and Harry had been accosted by dozens of witches and wizards.

“Well, I think we have discussed all that needed to be discussed for now. Yes?” The minister waited for Harry to nod before he stood up and stretched out his hand.

Harry shook it with a smile. “I will think about the seat on The Wizengamot, it might be fun.”

“With you there to rile things up, I have no doubt. If you ever need anything, don't be afraid to call on me. You have done us all a great favour Harry.”

Nodding in acceptance, Harry wished him a nice day and left the office with a smile. That had been a rather long conversation. He was so deep in thought, thinking about the fact that he had just been talking to The Minister of Magic as if he was an old friend -which may be partially true, in a way-, that he didn't realize he'd walked out into the hallway without casting the disillusionment charm.

Somehow, Harry managed to make it all the way down to the enormous lobby before anyone noticed him. Normally, he would have been glad for that. This time however, it was caused a distinct dent in his reasonably decent day. As soon as someone spotted him, they yelled his name and caused every head in the area to turn and stare. Harry had barely enough time to let out a groan before half of the ministry employee's were crowded around him.

They were pushing and pulling. Asking so many questions all at once, Harry had no hope of answering any of them. Looking around, he was starting to get rather panicked. There were too many people, and they were making too much noise. In a crowd like this, someone could draw a wand and fire before anyone even realized the danger. Harry didn't like it. He knew he was being paranoid but he couldn't help himself. To many death eaters were still running, and none of them would pass on a shot at killing him.

Trying to keep his breathing under control, Harry tried to get through the crowd. He wasn't sure where he was going, and he really didn't care, as long as he got away from them. However, no matter how hard he tried, it didn't work. The crowd just followed him, keeping up a stream of questions and statements and thanks and other random thing Harry really didn't care about. Getting slightly annoyed, Harry tried to tell them to back off but he couldn't be heard over their noise. He could feel himself getting more and more agitated the longer he tried. Before long, he felt the magic surge and a shock wave left his body.

Staggering slightly from the force, he was glad to notice that there was a circle of empty space were there had been people pressing against him a moment ago. Looking around, he noticed that those closest to him had all stumble backward. A few of them were still laying on the floor, looking up at him with a tinge of fear in their eyes. Everybody around them had fallen silent.

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Looking around him slowly, he held out his hand for one of the women on the floor. She grasped it and stood up in one fluid moment. While the others were being helped upright as well Harry spoke as loudly as he could without screaming. “My apologies for that. I did not intend to do that... Lately, I have not been able to leave my house due to the amount of attention I receive. Don't get me wrong, I am not ungrateful. I appreciate your well wishes and would speak with each and every one of you, if we had the time. However, there are many things that need attending to and these kind of incidents are not very productive. Not only can I not answer any of you when I can barely distinguish a single voice. You are also endangering yourself and everyone around you when pressing towards me like this. So, for those who are here to thank me.. I'd like to say you're welcome but that would insinuate that I did anything that needed thanks. As I mentioned during the statement I made two weeks ago, I did what had to be done, nothing more, nothing less. Your thanks is highly appreciated but not necessary. I will always help those who need it, whether I will be thanked for it or not.” Around him, people started whispering and Harry waited a moment for it to pass. “Those that are here to wish me well, thank you and the same to you. We all deserve to have a happy and peaceful life. As for all the questions, keep an eye out for The Quibbler. I may be answering some of your questions in future editions.”

Around him, the whispers started again and all too soon, they resumed their bombardment of questions. This time though, a circle of space remained around him and Harry was able to move away. While many of them followed him, many more moved away and continued whatever they had been doing. Harry ignored the group of witches and wizards still trailing him and ducked into a nearby lavatory. Nobody followed him and Harry led out a deep sigh of relief.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Don't forget that we all love reviews!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3227