The Years Between by Aqua666
Summary: With the war over, Harry's last year at Hogwarts and his subsequent year in auror training are as peaceful as they could ever be. Follow Harry and the people around him as they start on a new part of their lives. Mostly Canon except for a few characters that are supposed to be death but aren't.
Categories: Misc > No category on the site fits Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Kind
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 59566 Read: 18487 Published: 18 Jun 2015 Updated: 28 Jul 2015
Chapter 6 by Aqua666
Chapter 6

After finding Snape, looking for all the world as if he had died, Harry had stayed for hours, waiting for the man to wake up. He'd sat there, staring at Snape's chest, counting his breaths. At first, he'd been considering all the things he had to tell the man. Most importantly, Harry needed to thank him. After that, he had to tell him how sorry he was for so many different things. By the time Snape woke up, all of that flew right out of the window. He had looked so weak and panicked, that the only thing Harry could think to do was reassure him that Riddle was gone. It had calmed the man but it hadn't changed is mood. He was grumpy as always and, for the most part, refused to speak to Harry.

After the first week of no response, Harry had contacted the headmistress and let her know he'd found him. He'd asked her to come with him on his next visit but she had refused. Claiming that Snape would deal better if they kept visitors to a minimum. She'd advised him not to tell anyone where Snape was, as he would most likely be overrun by questions as soon as his location was known. He'd agreed with her, except for the part where she refused to visit. Harry thought that, out of everyone, McGonagall was probably the most likely to get Snape to talk. And Harry was certain that Snape needed to talk to someone.

Harry had also owled Madam Pomfrey, hoping she would have the time to come and check on Snape. However, she would be out of the country for another two weeks. She'd instructed him to learn a simple diagnosing spell from Professor Sprout. Who turned out to have enough medical knowledge that she played nurse when Pomfrey and Snape were unavailable. When he'd read that part of Madam Pomfrey's letter, Harry had silently thanked the gods that Snape had never played nurse while he'd been in the infirmary. He had learned the spell and preformed it fairly easily. Harry thought the results were very positive but send the sheet of parchment with the diagnostic information from the spell to Pomfrey. Who had written him a prompt response. Snape needed decent food and lots of water but physically, he would be fine.

During the second week, Harry got a package from Professor McGonagall. Inside was a small bottle with memories and a letter asking him to come to the school to meet with her. It had given him an idea on how to get Snape to snap out of whatever funk he was in. So, Harry had started collecting some of his own memories and put them in another bottle. He'd gave both of the vials to Snape and left without much of an explanation. The professor would recognize what was inside and Harry could only hope that he would decide to view them.

So Harry had gone to Hogwarts and put Snape out of his mind for a while. The man would not be leaving his house any time soon, of that Harry was sure. A few days helping out at the school would do Harry good.

When he arrived at the school, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were waiting for him at the gate. He hugged the girls and gave Ron a friendly slap on the back. He'd seen the Weasley's a few days ago but hadn't seen Hermione since she'd left to find her parents. So, temporarily ignoring to the two, he turned to her. “So, how was your trip? Did you find your parents? Are they okay? Were they really mad about the spell?”

Hermione smiled at him “I imagine that's what I sounded in our first year..” Looking at Ron she said “I kind of understand why you found me annoying..”

Ron grinned sheepishly “Yeah, well. It's not that annoying when you only do it ones a week. In our first year, you never stopped.”

Hermione shrugged and turned back to Harry “To answer your questions. Fine, yes, yes and yes extremely. It's why I was gone for so long, I had a lot to make up for.” Hermione nodded toward the castle “Let's start walking, I'll tell you what happened on the way.”

Harry nodded and the foursome started towards the main entrance. “I can understand that. Not that I don't understand why you did it.. It was a bit of a lose, lose situation.”

“Yes, but after I explained they did understand. They even said they were proud of me for staying with you, for fighting. But they were really disappointed because I never told them. So, I asked them if they would have agreed to my plan and they said no. Which is really understandable. Everything they know of our world, I told them.. And I edited quite a bit. The truth would only have worried them, and it wasn't as if they could do anything about it. They had no idea what our world was really like, there was so much they didn't know. So, I figured it was time they learned. I convinced them to come with me and apparated them to this oasis I'd seen on my way there. We spend several nights there, with nothing but my wand and whatever I could transfigure. Though, I did go back to the town to get us some food. I told them everything, all the little details. I even showed them the Imperius curse on a beetle. When I told them about Cruciatus, it took half an hour for my mother to calm down. Dad lost it when I explained that there were quite a few wizards and witches who could use Avada Kedavra. He wasn't at all impressed by the lies I had told..”

Ron scoffed “It wasn't like there was anything they could do, you are a muggle-born witch, you were always a target. Telling them the truth would only have worried them.”

Hermione nodded “That was exactly what I told them. It made my mother feel guilty.. Said it was their fault that I was muggle-born. Which was ridiculous of course. There is nothing wrong with my blood status, in fact, blood status shouldn't even exists. Dad and I both told her that it wasn't any of our fault that evil morons like the death-eaters exist. Anyway, after I told them everything, two weeks had gone by. Eventually, we came to an agreement that they would take my advice to heart when it came to magic if I promised never to hide things from them again. Though, they did mention that, if they ever had to leave the country again, they would try to convince me to come with them with everything they had, but they would go if I told them it was necessary. Ooh, and my dad threatened to take me over his knee for a good old fashioned spanking if I ever erased myself from their memories again.”

Ron sputtered a few times and was about to say something when Hagrid came walking towards them. “Harry!” The gigantic man came lumbering up the hill towards them. His arms wide, as if he was planning on grabbing Harry in a bone crushing hug.

Harry grinned and went to him, trying and failing to return the hug. “Hello Hagrid.”

Hagrid let go and looked at him “I'm glad yer here. I'm afraid the new headmistress can use yer help.”

“Yeah, she send me an owl. I wasn't sure what it was about though.”

Hagrid nodded “Yeh better go then, she'll be waitin' for yah.”

After they promised to meet Hagrid later for tea, they waved goodbye and walked on to the Headmistress' office. Hermione broke their companionable silence “So, Harry, what have you been up to while I was gone?”

Ron groaned “He's been looking for Snape.”

Both Ginny and Hermione stared at him, which made Harry rather uncomfortable. “Uh, yeah I was.. Found him last week.”

Now Ron was staring to. “You found him and didn't tell me?”

Harry shrugged. “I figured you didn't really care either way..”

“I don't.. I just.. thought you would keep me informed you know?”

“Ah, I'm sorry. I just assumed you heard about it.. What with the article and all..”

Next to Harry, Ginny let out a soft chuckle “He only reads the articles that mention him.”

Harry give her a mischievous smile “So.. does that mean you read the article? Since I was in it and all..”

Ginny blushed “I would never get anything done if I had to read every article that mentioned you.”

Hermione grinned “Yes, they pay an inordinate amount of attention to Harry.”

Ron nodded “They even mentioned him in an article about the next season of the Chudley Cannons. Not that you aren't an amazing seeker Harry, it's just that they spend a whole paragraph on how much you could do for the team, and you haven't even finished school yet.”

“I've noticed. They did it in the article about Snape too, it's extremely annoying. Anyway, Snape turned up at his house last week. I've been visiting but he hasn't really said much.”

Hermione nodded “I suppose it's quite the change for him. Now that he's no longer spying I mean.”

“Hmm, I think so. Like I said, he hasn't spoken much.”

“But he's fine physically? There was no lasting damage from the wounds or poison?”

“I don't think so.”

Hermione hummed “I wonder who saved him.”

Harry pursed his lips “He mentioned something about an elf.”

“Maybe you should talk to the school elfs. They might know if an unfamiliar elf entered the grounds that.”

“The shrieking shack isn't on Hogwarts ground, Ron.”

“Yeah, but they could still know..”

“Why would they? You don't even notice if an unfamiliar witch or wizards enters the room.”

As Ron and Hermione started bickering they fell back, leaving Harry walking alone with Ginny. After an awkward silence, he asked “So.. What have you been doing?”

Ginny lifted a shoulder “Not much. Mostly helping the family. With Dad's new job and Mum busy with Fred, there's a lot to do around the house.”

Harry nodded “At least all the repair work is done. Your brothers should never be allowed to be near any kind of construction again. It was a good thing your father and Charlie were there or I would have been buried under a bunch of rubble.”

“Yeah, I heard about that.. In fact, I think everyone in St. Mungo's heard about that. Mum was not happy when she found out.”

“So..” Harry rubbed the back of his head nervously “How have you been doing?”

Ginny gave him a strange look “I'm fine, Harry. I'm not the one running away.”

Harry opened and closed his mouth, shook his head and stared at her. “You always change the subject to Quidditch...”

“Because I didn't want to have that conversation in public. You could have asked to talk to me in private at any given time.”

“You're always on the other side of the room!”

“Well yes, if I was on your side of the room I would be surrounded by people and we'd have no chance in hell of having a private conversation.

Harry groaned “Seriously Gin? You weren't trying to avoid me?”

“Not at first, no.. Lately, yes.” She looked down at her shoes and mumbled something Harry didn't catch.

Instead of asking what she said, Harry put a hand on her shoulder and pulled her to a stop. Wrapping his arms around her, he kissed her. It was heaven, as it always had been. Letting her go just as quickly as heŽd grabbed her, he smiled down at her lovely face. “We'll talk after we've seen McGonagall.”

Smiling brightly, Ginny nodded and they continued through the castle. They got to the statue and waited for Ron and Hermione to catch up. Now that they had agreed to talk soon, the silence was not nearly as uncomfortable as it had been. By the time the two love birds arrived, holding hand and grinning like fools, both Harry and Ginny were leaning against the wall, smiling at their own thoughts.

When they were all there, the statue told them the headmistress was waiting for them and started moving. They stepped on the staircase and waited for it to rise. Getting to the top, Harry couldn't help but chuckle at the sight that greeted them. The new headmistress was sitting behind her desk, buried knee deep in parchment. She was looking between at least ten different scrolls, as if comparing them. Her hat was listing to the right and her glasses were standing crooked on her nose.

She looked up when Hermione cleared her throat. Righting her clothes quickly, the headmistress cleared her desk with a swish of her wand. “Oh good, you're here. Come in, have a seat.” She frowned at the chair on the other side of her desk and, with a few quick movements of her wand, she replicated three more.

All four of them sat down, glancing at each other, uncertain of what to think of McGonagall's current state of affairs. Eventually, Hermione asked “Is everything all right, ma’am?”

The headmistress sighed and nodded “There is a lot to be sorted out. Now that most of the big construction work is done, it's time for me to go through the possibilities for next year.”

“Aah.” Hermione nodded sagely “Is it hard to find new teachers? There are three open positions, right ma'am?”

“Indeed miss Granger. But that is well on it's way to be sorted out. It's the students that pose the problem.”

“How so?” Ginny asked, suddenly very interested.

“Because of last year, we will have twice as many muggle-borns coming this year, which means about three extra students in each house. That wouldn't have been such a big problem, were it not for the fact that a lot of students will have to redo one or more parts from last year. Some missed so much they will have to redo a whole year. Not to mention all the students that didn't get a chance to sit their N.E.W.T.s last year.”

“Well, there will be a lot less Slytherins.” Ron smiled slightly.

Before any of them could tell Ron that, that wasn't funny, the headmistress said “Actually, most of the Slytherin students will be returning.” Giving Ron a stern look she added “And I expect that you compose yourself in a respectful manner. I do not want any trouble.”

Ron sputtered, rather indignantly “But.. But.. But some of them fought on his side. They were there and they fought with him.”

“I am aware of that Mr. Weasley. However, most of them are still children. In a time of crisis, they went to their parents, it was to be expected. But those parents are locked away or on the run and most of those children are left quite alone. Think about it Mr. Weasley, now that their parents are no longer there to guide them, do you think they will choose a better path if we lock them out?”

Ron led out an annoyed sigh but nodded “I suppose you're right.. At least with Malfoy on probation, he won't be returning.”

“Uuh, Ron..” Harry hesitated, his friend was not going to like this “Getting his N.E.W.T.s was part of his deal. He has to come back.”

Ron groaned and waved his hands in front of him “Okay, that's it. I'm not coming back to Hogwarts.”

“Honestly Ron, you have to get your N.E.W.T.s. You're not really thinking of quitting because Malfoy is returning are you?”

Ron folded his arms over his chest and huffed irritably.

“Actually” The headmistress cut in before they really got to arguing. “I have been trying to arrange an extra sitting in December for those who should have graduated last year.”

Hermione's eyes grew as she stared at McGonagall “But that's in a few months...”

“Calm down miss Granger, it will be your choice whether you wish to take them in December or June.”

“Why December? Does that mean we still have to come to school for a semester?” Ron asked

The headmistress nodded “That too will be your choice. I believe that you are all old enough to decide if you need the classes. After all, you should have been looking for a job by now.”

Ron grinned “So, I can get my N.E.W.T.s without having to take classes? Wicked.”

Rolling her eyes Hermione said “And how many N.E.W.T.s do you think you'll get without classes?”

“That's why I have you, 'Mione. You'll teach me what I need to know, won't you?”

Hermione huffed and turned back to the headmistress “Will there be special classes for the students that want to take their N.E.W.T.s in December?”

“Most of the teachers have agreed to reserve an hour or two each week for those students that wish to go over the N.E.W.T. subjects. But you will be expected to study on your own.”

“Most?”

“We have a full schedule Miss Weasley. To many students and not enough time.”

“Why not ask some of the students to help out? I think we did fairly well last year.. With the cooperation of the teachers, we could help.” In her enthusiasm, Ginny leaned so far forward that she almost toppled to the floor.

“Yes, we could. We did it when that toad was teaching.” Hermione added, already excited at the prospect.

The headmistress smiled at Harry “That's why I asked you to meet me.”

Harry blinked “Me?”

She nodded “We have discussed the possibility of teaching assistants that can help out with the younger students. Not all professors feel the need for one, but there are a few that would more than welcome help. One of those professors asked for you.”

Curious now, Harry asked “Who?”

“Professor Slughorn.”

Harry snorted “I'm sorry but no, no way. Not only am I not that good at potions, I would never subject myself to first year potions classes.”

McGonagall chuckled “How about Defence Against the Dark Arts, would you be willing to help out there?”

Harry thought that over. He was good at the subject and it might by fun.. It would take up a lot of his time but it could also help him with his own studies. It would be a sort of revision, wouldn't it? And he'd already read most of the seventh year texts during all the, generally boring, time they'd had while camping out. “Who is the professor?”

“That's the other reason I asked you to come.”

Harry stared at her, for a long moment before he realized what she meant and he groaned. “Professor Snape..”

The headmistress nodded “Poppy showed me the results of the diagnostic spell you used on him, is he truly recovering so well?”

“I don't know. When I visited earlier today, he still hadn't left his bedroom but his wounds look completely healed. As far as I could see without pissing him off, there wasn't even a single scar left.”

“Do you think he will be completely healed before school resumes?

Harry shot an apologetic glance at his friends “I don't think the professor would appreciate it if I discussed his well being in front of others..”

“Hmm, you're right. You can come and talk to me after you've settled in. You're all staying for a few days, are you not?”

Harry, Ron and Ginny nodded but Hermione shook her head “My parents have just returned and didn't want me staying somewhere else for the night. I will return in the morning.”

“That's all right, you can use my flu if you wish.”

Hermione nodded gratefully, than she asked, her voice full of hope “Can I ask if I was asked to be a TA?”

McGonagall gave her a sympathizing look, one that quickly changed to optimism “Actually, I was wondering if you could set up another club, something similar to the DA, but for all the classes.”

Hermione frowned and glanced at Harry “Harry was our leader..”

“Yeah but Hermione, that's just because of who I am. I really don't need the hassle of setting up something like that..” He looked at McGonagall “You are talking about a school wide study group right? So that there will be someplace where students can go to get help and catch up on everything they've missed because of the war?”

When the headmistress nodded Harry grinned at Hermione “That would take a hell of a lot of work. You'd have to find students willing to help and figure out who can help with what.. And you'd have to get the word to all the students. Though, I suppose that would be a lot easier now that it isn't a secret.”

Hermione pursed her lips in thought “I'd have to set up some kind of sign-up sheet. Students could write down what they want to learn and older students, maybe even professors, could just check the list and make an appointment with the student. We'd have to find some award system for the teachers, I doubt many N.E.W.T. or O.W.L. students would give up the time for free.. And we'd have to find some safe place to practice. And what about potions, that would be too dangerous without a teacher..”

The headmistress smiled “You might be able to convince professor Slughorn to supervise that part. Take some time to consider all the options, we can discuss the details later.”

Hermione nodded, a faraway look on her face.

“Who are the other TA's, professor?”

“I can't tell you that, as we have not yet spoken to them. But the board of governors would only allow those that should have graduated last year to take the post. So I'm sorry to say that you won't be one of the Miss Weasley.”

Ginny just nodded but Ron said, outraged on his sisters account “But we've had just as much school as Ginny. Why shouldn't she be allowed to be a TA?”

McGonagall sighed “It is mostly because this way it can only be for one year. They can overlook adult students teaching the first few years in a time of need. It would be another case entirely if it became normal.”

“I understand, I don't really want to teach. It's not really for me. I was just wondering who would be chosen over Hermione..”

The headmistress smiled “For now, only professor Slughorn, professor Sprout and I will be working with a TA. While miss Granger is the brightest witch in the school, she is not the most gifted in any of those subjects.”

Hermione's head shot up, eyes wide “I'm not the best in Transfiguration?”

“You have the best grades. Both your theoretical tests and practical application are usually flawless. That however, does not make you a natural in the subject.”

Hermione was frowning but Harry nodded “She's right 'Mione. You're a natural with texts. I'm sure that you would have been chosen as TA for History of Magic or Ancient Runes. In a way, you're really lucky, you need texts for every subject. My awesomeness in Defence never helped me in any of the other subjects.”

Ron snorted “And yet, Slughorn asked you for Potions..”

Harry waved that away “And we both know why.”

The headmistress gave him a quizzical look but didn't inquire as to what that reason was. “I think it's about time for you youngsters to settle in.”

“But you haven't told us why you invited us to come!” Ron protested.

“Aah, yes. Almost forgot that part. I invited the four of you because we needed a few extra hands to help with the last bit of restorations. We have some help from town but there is quite a lot left to do.”

Hermione worried her lower lip between her teeth “Why ask us? Aren't there more qualified people to do the work?”

The headmistress shrugged “It was suggested by Albus. Who am I to argue with a painting. Now, of you go.” She waved her hands towards the door. “The passport for the tower is simply Gryffindor.”

After a look at the old headmaster's portrait, which was currently snoozing, Harry stood up and followed his friends. Before Harry could step in the rotating staircase, she added “And Mr. Potter, come join me for lunch in an hour.”

They arrived at the empty tower a few minutes later. Ron dragged Hermione up the stairs with some lame excuse while Harry dropped in an armchair with a sigh. Ginny sat on the couch and gave him a long look. “So, are we going to talk?”

Harry forced a smile, trying to hide how nervous he was “What do you want to talk about?”

She rolled her eyes and let out an aggravated sigh “About what's going on with us, obviously.”

“What is it you want to be going on?”

She groaned and slouched back on the couch “I want things to be like they were last year, before you broke up with me.”

He gave her a genuine smile “All right, done.”

Ginny gave him a disbelieving glare “You left me, Harry. You went of with your friends to go god knows where, to do god knows what, and left me behind. How can things ever be the same after that?”

“Gin, please.. You know why I had to go, it was the only way.”

“I know and I'm not mad about it. I'm just worried about what happens the next time. You want to be an Auror, you'll be out there every day. I can't be with you if you're just going to break up to me the next time some maniac is after you.”

“But I'm not even sure I still want to be an Auror.”

“Harry, you're born to be an Auror. You might not be certain right now but we both know you'll end up being an Auror.”

“I might decide to play professional Quidditch. You heard Ron, they're already talking about me in the magazines.”

She gave a short snort “I give it two years before you quit in favour of the Auror office.”

“You think I can't hack it on a professional team?”

“Oh, you'd do fine on the field. It's all the publicity that comes with it that would drive you of. But all of that is beside the point. Let's face the facts, Harry. What you did last month makes you number one on a whole lot of kill-lists, most notably all those death-eaters that are running free. One way or the other, someone will come after you again. It might not be this year or even the next, but at some point you will be in danger and you'll leave me, again.”

Harry worried his lower lip, afraid there was no way to convince her that he wouldn't do that again. Then a thought came to him “I've show you the Marauders Map before right?” When Ginny nodded he sat forward and took one of her hands. “Last summer, I was thinking of loaning it to you. We wouldn't have had any use for it, but it could have helped you keep an eye on the Carrows. You know why I didn't?” A shake of her head “Because I wanted to keep an eye on you. I could have given you something that would help you stay safe, but I didn't because then I wouldn't have anything that connected me to you. If you let me back into your life, I'm never letting you go again.”

Ginny gave him a sweet smile and stood up. She sat down on his lap and kissed his cheek “Alright Potter, let's give it another try. But don't think that everything is fine now. I may not be mad about last year but I'm not happy about it either.”

Wrapping his arms around her, he buried his face in the crook of her neck “Tell me how I can earn your forgiveness.”

She chuckled and shook her head “I'll let you know when I come up with something, okay?”

He nodded and hugged her closer. He had is girl back. It didn't matter that she was still peeved about the whole break up. It didn't matter that she thought he would eventually leave her again. He would show her that she was wrong, make it all right again, no matter how long it took. For now, Harry just wanted to hold her close and be happy.

They stayed wrapped together in the armchair until Ron and Hermione walked back into the common room half an hour later. Harry noticed their mussed hair but decided not to comment. There was no way he wanted the mental picture that the answer to his comment about their time in the dorm would create. Instead, he grinned at his two best friends, ignoring the way Ron zeroed in on his sister, who was still sitting on Harry's lap. Looking at his watch he said “So, I have to go see McGonagall in 20 minutes.. What are we going to do until then?”

“But lunch has already started.” Ron whined.

Hermione slapped the back of his head lightly “Don't be a prick, Ron. Lunch will still be there in half an hour.”

“Ow, that hurt..” Ron rubbed the back of his head “Why don't we play a game of chess then, if I can't eat.”

Harry didn't really want to, it meant he had to let Ginny go, but he agreed anyway. He hadn't played in a while. Ron got his chess set and they started playing.

Ten minutes later, Harry was staring at the board, ignoring the shouts coming from his pieces, when he remembered why he hadn't played in so long. Ron always beat him, no matter what he tried.. And Harry never got any better. Before he could tell Ron he gave up, his king threw his crown on the ground and walked away.

Ginny and Hermione chuckled but Ron was looking at the piece with some concern. “They aren't supposed to do that, a chess-piece can't just quit.. Only a player can decide that..”

Harry shrugged “There wasn't a single move I could have made that wouldn't lead to a stalemate. Unless you were planning on missing a move.. We've been playing with these pieces for years, they probably know by now that you would have won with your next move.”

“Can I play the next game? Against Ron..” Ginny asked, already moving to sit on Harry's lap.

Looking over her shoulder, Harry saw Ron nod, while he narrowed his eyes at Harry. Deciding to ignore his friend, Harry leaned his head in Ginny's shoulder and watched them set up the board. His pieces looked relieved when they noticed Harry wasn't the one playing.

Another ten minutes later and the board looked decidedly different. Ginny, it turned out, wasn't at all bad at the game. She was still being beaten by Ron, but she was putting up an amazing fight. Harry wanted to stay and watch but decided against it. Being late for a meeting with the Headmistress would not be a good idea. Giving Ginny a kiss on her cheek, he stood up with her in still his arms. Putting her back on her feet, he gave her another kiss before he said goodbye to his friends and left.

When he arrived at the statue that allowed entrance to the headmistress’s office, it started moving without a word. Stepping on the rising staircase, Harry waited.

The headmistress was still sitting behind her desk, bend over some parchment. Though this time, she didn't look nearly as frazzled as before and there was a platter of sandwiched on his side of the desk. Grabbing one of the sandwiches, he sat down and waited for the Headmistress to speak.

McGonagall finished whatever she was doing, took one of the sandwiches and sat back with a satisfied look on her face. “So, Mr Potter. Tell me about Severus, how is he really doing?”

Harry shrugged “He's recovering well, at least physically. All his wounds have closed, there was barely a scar left. Emotionally though, I'm not certain..”

The headmistress gave him an inquiring look. “What do you mean? Is he not himself?”

“Well, it's more that he doesn't talk. He has been laying in his bed for almost two weeks now. If he needs something to drink or eat, he summons it. I have a feeling he hasn't even noticed that Kreacher has been making preparing his meals.”

“How often do you visit?”

“I have been going every day. He usually lets me talk for an hour or so before he tells me to leave him alone.”

“Does he listen when you're talking?”

Harry took another bite of him sandwich before he answered “I think so but I can't be certain. As I said, he rarely says anything. If he hasn't left his room the next time I go to visit, I don't know what else I can do..”

“You gave him a reason to leave his bed?”

“I brought him some of my memories when I dropped of the flask with his..”

The headmistress stared at him for a long moment “Why would you do that?”

Harry shrugged one shoulder “I thought, maybe giving him some of my own memories would make him feel better.. You know, mutually assured destruction. He doesn't talk about my memories, I don't talk about his.”

“I saw Severus' memories, may I ask what you gave him?”

“Something very similar to his. I gave him some of my childhood memories, a bit of my time here and finished it off with the final battle.”

The headmistress sighed “Your childhood.. It wasn't much better than what I saw in Severus' memories, was it?”

“It was better, but not by much. I was never beating like that..” Harry gave the headmistress a small smile “I will tell you about it some other time if you wish.”

She nodded slowly “Right, so long as you tell me if there is anything I can do for you.”

“Don't worry professor. I'm perfectly safe and happy these days, I've moved into my own home and haven't seen my aunt and uncle since last year.”

“Which house did you choose? The Potters own several properties if I'm not mistaken.”

“I moved into Potter Park, where my father grew up.”

“You might want to visit the town-house in London, it's where they spend all but the summer holidays.”

Harry grinned “That's good to know.”

“I thought so. Now, about Professor Snape. As I mentioned, I spoke with Poppy about his health. She seemed to be convinced that he would not be strong enough to take on a full class schedule in time for the school year. In fact, she tried to convince me that Severus should not return for at least another year. I disagree but since I haven't seen him yet, I was wondering what you thought.”

Harry pursed his lips in thought. “On one hand, I agree with Madam Pomfrey. You saw him at the end, he looked completely exhausted and defeated. But on the other hand.. I don't think staying at his home is going to do him any good.”

“Would you be willing to teach the first three or four years if he returned?”

“If he's okay with it, yes.”

“Do you think you can convince him to agree?”

Shrugging again, Harry grabbed another sandwich “That depends on his reaction to the memories I gave him. But I'll do my best.”

McGonagall took that as a promise and, after telling him to inform her once Harry had spoken with Snape, they moved on to other subjects. They talked for a bit longer. The headmistress told him of all the work that was already done and still had to be done. They spoke a bit about the ministry and the trials. When they finished their lunch, the headmistress told him to speak with Professor Flitwick about what they could do to help out.

Harry was just about to leave the office when the painting of Professor Dumbledore woke up and stopped him with a soft “Harry.”

Harry stopped and turned to give the painting a quizzical look.

“Don't give up of Severus. Now that I can no longer help him, he needs someone else to push through that wall he keeps between himself and the rest of the world.”

Harry sighed but nodded “I understand, sir. I will do my best but I can't promise it will work.”

The portrait gave him a soft smile “Don't underestimate yourself, Harry. You have accomplished so much already, you can take on one more challenge, I'm sure of it.”

Harry scoffed “Getting Snape to listen isn't anywhere near as easy as defeating Riddle.. I'm no good with subtlety, we both know that.”

Dumbledore chuckled “Professor Snape has more than enough of that for the both of you. Just don't give up Harry, that's all that I'm asking. It may take a while, but the two of you would be good for each other.”

“How so?”

Albus let out an inaudible sigh “You are my boys, both of you. You are so similar and yet so different. You could learn a lot from him, as he could learn a lot from you.”

Harry nodded “I suppose I can understand that. Is that why you asked me to come here?”

He shook his head “No, no my boy. I told the headmistress to ask for you and your friends because I thought you could use some time away from the rest of the world. I heard you were keeping much too busy lately.”

Harry blinked a few times as he stared at the painting of the old headmaster. During his life, the man had always seemed to know much more than he should. Now that he was dead, his painting seemed to possess that same characteristic. It was creepy and comforting all at the same time. “I'm not certain how to respond to that..”

The portrait shrugged and leaned back in his chair. “No need to respond my boy. Just go find your friends and make sure to keep that pretty redhead of yours happy.”

Harry grinned and nodded. Leaving the Headmistress' office slightly perturbed. Had Albus' portrait actually asked for them to come just to ensure Harry had to spend some time with Ginny? That was simply weird in to many ways.

The rest of the day, all four of them were kept busy doing Flitwick's bidding. They cleaned around the castle, painted a few walls that had been damaged, and removed some stray pieces of stone and wood from the lawn. Most of the following few days involved much of the same. While all the big work was already done, there were so many little jobs left that all four worked from morning till evening.

Most of it was simple work that Harry enjoyed a lot after all the complicated tasks of the past year. The only damper on their time at Hogwarts was the first time Harry entered the Great hall. During his past visits, he had either avoided the space or had been too busy to really think about it. This time though, he was just about to sit down for dinner when it hit him. Almost a month earlier, he had killed someone only a few feet away. Technically he hadn't done the killing, since it had been Riddle's spell that had killed him, but that didn't make much of a difference. It wasn't the first person he had killed, that honour went to Quirrell, but it was the most reported on. Everyone in the wizarding world had heard of his victory, and they all hailed him a hero because of it. To Harry though, it was nothing but cold blooded murder and he hated it. He wasn't the kind of person who killed without remorse. Hell, he hadn't even smashed the spiders that used to crawl all over him in his cupboard. He hadn't eaten that evening, all his appetite gone with the realization of where he was and what had happened there.

His friends had talked to him for over an hour before they'd gone to bed. They had tried to help him, make him feel less guilty, but it hadn't worked. They couldn't understand what it was like. They had fought and done amazing things during the war, but none of them had ever had to kill anyone. He needed to talk to someone who understood but had no idea who that person might be. Harry had slept badly and the next morning, he still wasn't really hungry. It took several meals of sitting in silence, without eating, for Harry's appetite to return. He still wasn't over the bad feeling but he was learning to deal. Every day it became easier to enter the hall, though his eyes still moved to the spot that now showed no sign of the dead that had taken place there. He could only hope that, by the time that school resumed, he had dealt with all the residual mixed feelings he had left.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Don't forget to leave a review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3227