Antithesis by mandancie
Summary: This story is from the Summer Fic Fest. A prompt by Scorpia that I saw on Potions and Snitches website. Harry is kidnapped and Draco is the only one who saw it happen and who knows who did it.
Categories: Parental Snape > Godfather Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Kidnapped!Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Out of Character, Rape
Prompts: Draco is the Only Witness
Challenges: Draco is the Only Witness
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 52237 Read: 99428 Published: 21 Jun 2015 Updated: 20 Feb 2020
Chapter 13 by mandancie

The outside didn't look like much. Just a plain ranch style home that looked like any other house on the rural street. Baxter and Kingsley walked up to the door and let themselves inside. Once inside, they saw that there wasn't much on the inside of the house. Actually, there wasn't even a lot of furniture. In the kitchen area, there was just a small table and two chairs.

Walking around the kitchen, Baxter found a few cans of soup in the cupboards. Kingsley was looking through the drawers. There wasn't much of anything here. Without saying a word to each other, they both came to the conclusion that the men who took Harry didn't stay in the house full time.

“I'm going to check the rest of the house,” Baxter informed Kingsley, as he walked out of the kitchen. The wizard nodded in response, but didn't speak as he was looking into what seemed like a junk drawer, but was filled with several papers.

Baxter walked out of the kitchen and saw a hallway off the kitchen and decided to check in there. The first door on his right was the bathroom. There wasn't much in there. Just a toilet and sink. Baxter quickly closed the door and headed down the hallway again. Two of the rooms yielded nothing in them. No furniture. No carpet. Nothing. When Baxter closed the second empty room, he turned to the last room at the end of the hallway. When he turned the knob and entered, his stomach churned in disgust. The room reeked of a coppery sent from blood and death. There was also a strong stench of ammonia and waste in the air. The air was so thick with it that Baxter had to pull out his handkerchief, covering up his nose and mouth trying to filter the air he was breathing. How Harry Potter could stand it in this room, Baxter would never know.

The only piece of furniture was a ratty looking bed. Baxter walked into the room. There were ropes on the head board which were hanging loosely from the knots on the posts.

Baxter walked past the bed and to the crumpled flesh that was embedded in the far wall. Because of the line of work that Baxter did, he was accustomed to the smell of a dead body, though it did not make it any easier.

“Kingsley,” Baxter called out.

A few moments later, Kingsley walked into the room, but not before pausing at the threshold.

“There's strong magic here,” Kingsley muttered.
“Yeah,” Baxter nodded. “Over here.”

Kingsley walked over towards the man and stared at the half of man that was laying on the floor. Baxter knelt down next to the body. Using his handkerchief out of his pocket, he reached for the man's wallet on the floor. Opening the wallet and reading the contents inside, he let out a sigh.

“This is not good.”

“What is it?” Kingsley asked, kneeling down beside Baxter.

“This man was a paralegal to one of the prestigious law firms.”

Kingsley just looked at the man next to him.

“I know,” Baxter continued. “Because I've worked with him on several cases before. This is bad.”

___00000_____0000______0000______0000

Severus walked down to his study and sat down behind his desk. He thought about everything that had happened in the last few days. Days. It seemed like each hour was a week long. So much had happened. Finding out that Harry was missing. Finding out that his godson was the reason behind it. Then finding Harry in that house.

Severus knew that he would have to contact Albus again. He just didn't feel like doing it now. Sitting back in his chair, letting his head rest on the back of it, Severus thought about everything that happened when Harry came here. Harry's need to cling to Severus. The blinding trust that seemed to have developed in the child. But the one thing that pierced through Severus was the despondent sobbing Harry did while going through his exam.

No child, no person for that matter, should have to go through that, Severus thought. He remembered feeling the same way when he sat with Poppy after her examination. Many assumed the reason why Poppy could come through Severus' wards and vice versa was for the sole purpose of Severus brewing potions for Poppy for school. No one really knew that true reason. Severus was the one that found her. He was the one that got her to St Mungo's. And he sat with her in her room as she too didn't want to be alone.

Severus continued to think about Poppy. He was proud of her. She was able to speak to Harry and let him know that what happened to him would not be the end of the world. It had been a slow process for Poppy, for she did not have that, but maybe for Harry it would be a little easier to know that even though something as horrible as this has happened, he could still overcome those weeks and truly heal and move past it.

Severus was brought out of his thoughts by his floo turning green.

“Severus, are you there?” came a voice from the green flames.

Sitting up in his chair, Severus called out, “Come through.”

Kingsley stepped through the green flames and dusted his robes of lingering ash.

“Good evening, Severus,” Kingsley greeted as he walked over towards the desk.

“Kingsley,” Severus nodded. “What brings you here?”

“I've just left the house where you said Potter was held.”

Severus just closed his eyes and laid his head back on the chair. He knew that they would probably come for him soon enough since he killed the man.

“And?” Severus said.

Kingsley sat down on the chair across from Severus' desk without being asked. He pulled a small object out of his inside robe pocket and placed it on Severus' desk. Severus opened his eyes when he heard something hit his desk. He looked at the object and then focused his attention to the man sitting across from him.

“There was a lot of damning evidence in that place,” Kingsley stated, sitting back in the seat. “And as much as I would love to bury this, it won't happen.”

“I have no qualms about what I did,” Severus said, resigning his fate to answer for killing a man. “I knew there would be consequences for my actions. But I don't regret what I did.”

“No one will fault you for what you did. I know I would have probably have done the same if I was in your position. But the problem is this: he was a well respected man. He worked at a highly respected law firm.”


"Hmm," Severus said, calmly, as he leaned back in his chair. "That does complicate matters. I don't suppose the Ministry will be able to simply sweep this under the carpet then?"


"No, unfortunately not."


"I thought as much."


Kingsley didn't respond to that. He just continued on with what he came to say.

“With the fact that both you and Arthur were last known for searching for the house and that there are evidence showing that you two were in the house, you both will need a solicitor.”

“No,” Severus said, firmly. “Not Arthur. Arthur had nothing to do with it. I killed the man. Me alone. You leave Arthur Weasley out of this. Harry will need Arthur and the entire Weasley clan after this. Like I said before, I stand by what I did and will take full responsibility for it.”

Kingsley nodded.

“Where did you find it?” Severus asked, changing the subject, looking down at the object that Kingsley had earlier put on his desk.

“There was a hidden compartment in the side wall by the kitchen. That along with many other items were found there.” Kingsley stood up. “Once you have a solicitor, come by my office.” With that, Kingsley turned and left back through the floo.

Severus looked down at the object on his desk. Harry's glasses. Leaning over, he slowly picked up the spectacles. They seemed to be in perfect condition. There were no cracks in the lenses. The wire frames seemed just as straight. No bending or anything to show rough treatment towards the object. The glasses looked well care for, unlike the owner of said glasses. Severus thought about the child laying on his bed currently asleep, probably for the first time since this whole ordeal started. Severus shook his head at the cruelty of it all. He thought about the life this child had before stepping foot in Hogwarts. He thought of how Harry was treated by himself during those first four years at the school. And he thought about what Harry went through during these last few weeks. Finally, Severus thought about what Harry would have to face when the Dark Lord started his attack.

Could this child ever catch a break? Severus sighed.

____00000________00000_______00000

The Burrow was unusually quiet. These were times that Molly and Arthur would seek out, when all their children were sleeping peacefully. They would take these times and sit together either talking or sitting quietly, enjoying the silence.

It was quiet in the Weasleys' home, but there was not peaceful. Both Arthur and Molly could not sleep. There was a child that they have grown to love like their own who they were worried about. Arthur and Molly sat across from each other at the kitchen table. Neither one said a word. They just held hands across the table. Every so often, Arthur would give a comforting squeeze to his wife's fingers. He could see the tears that wanted to surface in Molly's eyes, but she was holding them back as best she could.

Their silence was interrupted when the floo flared and Severus' head appeared in the fire.

“Arthur. Molly,” Severus called out.

“Severus,” Molly gasped, as she stood from the table and rushed over towards the fireplace. “We're here, Severus. Come through.”

“I cannot,” Severus said. “Would it be alright if you come through to my end? Both you and Arthur.”

“Of course, Severus,” Molly said.
“Lower your wards, so that we can enter,” Arthur said, standing behind his wife.

“The floo will be left open.” Severus' head withdrew.

It didn't take but a moment for both Molly and Arthur to step through the green flames. Severus stood by the flames, and just like he did for Poppy, he held out his hand to help Molly out of the fireplace. Arthur soon followed.

The three walked over to the sofa where Harry was just the night before. Molly and Arthur and sat down. Severus sat across from them on the coffee table.

“How's Harry?” Molly asked, breaking the silence that fell between the three of them.

“He's resting. I wanted you to know that I will probably be arrested soon,” Severus informed them.

Arthur had a knowing look on his face, but Molly, on the other hand, had a look of disbelief.

“Arrested? Why?”

“The man was identified as a highly respected man,” Severus said. “Once it is publicly known of his demise, the people will be out for vengeance. Someone will have to pay. I have been advised to procure myself a solicitor, which I plan on doing at first light.”

“What about Arthur?” Molly asked, fright entering her tone. “What about Harry? Surely, once it is said what happened they wouldn't prosecute.”

“I have taken sole responsibility for the actions at that house.”

“Severus,” Molly gasped. “No, you shouldn't bare this alone.”

Arthur, who had yet to say something before now spoke up. “Why are you doing this? It was my idea to go to the house.”

“Yes,” Severus answered. “But I was the one who killed him. Listen, Harry cannot be alone right now. He will need you. I stand by what I did and have no regrets. I am letting you know this so that when Harry has wakes up, I will send him to your house. Please make up a room for him. He is very weak and still cannot stand on his own. He will feel like a burden, but make him aware that he is not. His examination was very stressful for him, so please do not bombard him with questions. Give the child space.”

“I appreciate what you're doing, Severus,” Arthur said. “But I should be with you during this.”

“No,” Severus shook his head. “You are needed with Harry.”

“But Harry needs you,” Arthur countered. “I saw how you were with him when we left that house. I saw how he was clinging to you. Harry needs you.”

“I am not good for Harry. If I had called you when I gotten home the first night, Harry wouldn't be hurt now. It would have taken just a few seconds to check and see if Harry was really with you, rather than assuming. No, I don't deserve to have Harry.”

“Well,” Molly said. “I will go and get Harry's room straightened.” Molly stood up from the sofa. She reached over and cupped the Potions Master's cheek and lifted his head.

“You are a good man, Severus Snape. Do not feel guilty for what has happened.” She leaned down an placed a gentle kiss on his forehead and walked towards the hearth. Arthur stood, patted Severus on the shoulder, and walked over to his wife. The two of them left through the floo without another word.

TBC

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3228