Summer Snaps by Aqua666
Summary: This is my contribution to the Summer Ficfest. This short story will chronicle Harry's summers from birth to the summer after fourth year (maybe longer not certain).
Categories: Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Neglect
Prompts: Oops My Mistake, Snapshots of Summer
Challenges: Oops My Mistake, Snapshots of Summer
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 45734 Read: 42688 Published: 29 Jul 2015 Updated: 29 Aug 2015
Story Notes:
I choose the Snapshots of Summer and Oops My Mistake challenges.

Snape will not really appear until chapter 4, where he'll have a small role in the summer after Harry's second year. From chapter six and on he will play a mayor role. Since this will be when their relationship changes.
Chapter 1 by Aqua666
Author's Notes:
This chapter contains the summer of Harry's birth to the summer of his fourth birthday.
Harry's very first summer was a short summer, as he was born right in the middle of it. He was born at Potter Park, the grand mansion that belonged to his grandparents, as that was where his parents were hiding. It was a warm summer, though his family never noticed for they were locked up inside, hiding from the evil that was hunting them.

The day Harry was born, his mum screamed and screamed for hours. It was the 31th of July, hours before midnight, before safety. His mother had cried and begged anyone who would listen, for her baby to be born a little later. But she was already in labour and there was nothing to be done. Little Harry wanted out to meet is Mummy and Daddy.

His father consoled his mother, told her everything would be fine. They would stay in hiding for as long as was necessary, they would protect their baby boy. Harry was only moments away from the safety his mother had asked for when he finally met is mummy and daddy. At 11:46 pm, a little boy was born, his head covered with black strands and big green eyes looking around the room.

The rest of the summer was joyful, but exhausting, for everyone at Potter Mansion. Harry was a happy baby with so much energy that he rarely slept for more than four hours each day. But he was loved and cared for by the whole household, and the household was loved by him.

It was a shame Harry would never remember that summer, or the next one. As those would be the only happy summers for many years to come.

~*~ HP ~*~

During his second summer, Harry still wasn't allowed outside the house. Something that was a lot harder than the previous summer. They had moved into a smaller home after Harry's grandparents had died, severely limiting the amount of freedom little Harry had. Harry had grown a lot, and was just learning to walk. But no matter, Harry was only a baby and little babies could run around inside even if they bumped into walls once in a while.

That summer also included Harry's first birthday. Paddy had brought him a broom and Harry loved flying around. It was so much easier than walking. Mummy didn't like the broom but Daddy and Paddy loved to see him fly. Harry flew around the house with glee, giggling madly whenever his Mummy tried to catch him.

One time, Harry crashed into a wall so hard, his lip started to bleed. Mummy, Daddy, Paddy and Moony were all there before he could start crying. While Mummy looked at him with concern, Paddy started tickling him and Harry forgot he ever got hurt. He didn't even notice when Daddy used a handkerchief to clean the blood from his lip. Daddy and Paddy declared him to be a natural Quidditch player and told Mummy he would be the first beater to use his head as a bat.

That summer wasn't just the last happy summer of his childhood, it was also his last summer with magic. And Harry loved magic. Every time he made a mess, Mummy waved her stick and poof, everything was clean again. And Daddy was really good at making things fly. Paddy had even made Harry fly once but Daddy had grabbed him out of the air, scolding Paddy for 'risking Lily's wrath'.

~*~ HP ~*~

Harry's third summer was bad. He had moved again, and his family had disappeared. No more mummy or daddy, no more Paddy and Moony, no more Ally and Nev. But Harry had already gotten used to that the past year. As he had gotten used to spending hours in the dark room.

What made that summer extra bad, was that it was warm and he was all alone. Before, he had to stay inside but at least he was always comfortable. And there were always people willing to play with him. Now, he had to stay inside in the stifling heat while he watched his Auntie and Duddy playing in the yard. The one time he had tried to join them, Auntie had pulled him inside and locked him in his little room, where it was even warmer than it was in the rest of the house.

To top of the terrible time he was having, Harry got sick for the very first time in his life. It was really bad, much worse than the cold Duddy had a few months earlier. Duddy had been cuddled and spoiled until he was better again. Harry was locked in his room with a bucket for any waist he might produce. Auntie told him he could come out when he was better and not to bother them until then. It was the first time they left him in there for longer than two days, but it would not be the last.

~*~ HP ~*~

Harry's fourth summer was much the same. He stayed inside while his family was having fun outside. He still wanted to join them, but had learned there was no use in trying. Auntie and Duddy would never let him join. No matter how quiet he was, one of them would see and then Auntie would lock him in his room again.

So that year, Harry had decided that he should go outside alone. He wouldn't go far, just outside to sit on the lawn in front of the house. Auntie had said to stay out of their way. What better place to do that than the front lawn, where they only came when they left the house.

Harry had sat on the lawn for a few hours every day, looking around happily. There wasn't much to do, nothing but grass and bugs to play with. But little Harry found an ant hill on his second day outside, and enjoyed watching the little creatures come and go. He was fascinated by the little trains the ants made to carry one big leaf. He'd searched for other leaves and put them closer to the ants, just so he could see them move it around.

Harry had two full weeks of sunshine when Auntie finally discovered him. Apparently, she had wondered why the child wasn't as pale as before, and had spied on him to find out what he was up to. When she found him, she picked him up and carried him quickly inside.

For a moment, Harry had been so happy to be picked up that he put his head on her shoulder. But Auntie had dropped him on the ground as soon as the front door was closed. She'd yelled at him for allowing the neighbours to see him and pushed him towards his room. He'd been locked in there for the rest of the day and had cried at the loss of his ant hill until he fell asleep.

~*~ HP ~*~

The summer of Harry's fourth birthday was marginally better than the last two summers. Unlike before, this year Harry was allowed to leave the house. It had started in the spring when Harry had followed his aunt when she went out to weed the garden. Harry had picked up the bucket his aunt had put aside and had followed her around. Petunia had sneered at him when she noticed but had allowed him to stay.

For weeks, little Harry had thought it was a sign that she didn't mind his presence so much any longer. Until one day, his aunt had pushed the basket in his hand and told him to go take care of the garden himself. He'd been very disappointed for days. Weeding the garden was the only thing Harry and his aunt did together, and now she didn't want to help any more.

Soon though, Harry was happy that he was allowed to be outside for a few hours. Even if he was no good at weeding the garden, Harry loved the time in the sun. It was so much better than the damp heat in his room.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Please leave a review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3241