Summer of the Unexpected by beargirl1393
Summary: During the end of Harry's fifth year, it's revealed that his parents weren't James and Lily Potter, and that his biological parent is Severus Snape. How did it happen, and what are they going to do now that they know?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Narcissa
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Pregnancy, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Prompts: My Mum Severus Snape
Challenges: My Mum Severus Snape
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 13133 Read: 61242 Published: 30 Jul 2015 Updated: 01 Sep 2015
Chapter 11 by beargirl1393

Harry followed Snape out of Hogwarts, gripping the man’s arm once they were outside of the wards and letting the man take them back to his house. The method of travel still wasn’t his favorite, admittedly, but it was slightly easier the second time around. He didn’t feel like he had to sick up, at least, which counted for something.

“I’ll need to look up the mediwitches who attended to you and the Potters’ son,” Severus said once they were inside, taking his cloak off and going to make tea. His mother had always made tea when there were difficult discussions to be had, whenever it was just the two of them, at least, and it was a habit that he decided to mimic now. It had given her time to unwind, he knew, and a hot drink was usually soothing to him when he was upset, so he hoped the same would hold true for Harry.

“Why do you need to find them?” Harry asked, confused. He’d known that Snape was likely planning something as they left Hogwarts, but he hadn’t expected that the man would want to talk to the doctors and nurses so soon. “They don’t remember anything…”

“Legilimency can, on occasion, be used to break blocks that have been used to alter memories,” Severus replied, handing Harry a mug before sitting down with his own. “I am rather skilled in both Legilimency and Occlumency, which is why the headmaster ordered that I teach you-“

“Which worked so well,” Harry said dryly. “You were irritated that he told you what to do, and I was irritated that no one was telling me anything. Putting us together when we were both ready to snap was a bad move.”

“Especially as it is rather difficult to teach Occlumency to begin with, most who know how are born with the gift,” Severus added, sighing. “However, I do think that it is still a good idea for you to shield your thoughts from the Dark Lord, so once we are settled, I do intend to continue our lessons.”

Harry considered protesting, then decided against wasting his breath. He knew it was important, he couldn’t have Voldemort free to rummage through his mind. It had nearly gotten Sirius killed, and he didn’t doubt that Voldemort would use the same trick again since it had been proven effective. Learning how to protect himself from that would only help him, regardless of if he was still going to be the ‘Chosen One’ like Dumbledore wanted or not.

Severus waited for a moment to see if Harry had any objections, continuing once he was sure that there wouldn’t be an argument over the planned lessons. “While I am going through records at the Ministry and attempting to find the witches in question, I would prefer if you stay here. It would not do to be seen in public together yet.”

“If any Death Eaters see you, you could be in danger,” Harry realized. He knew the man was a spy, Snape had pretty much admitted to it and he had overheard enough from the other Order members at various points to know that it was the truth. “If they saw you with me…they’d figure out that you’re on our side, not theirs.”

“Precisely,” Severus replied, pleased that the boy had cottoned on easily enough. “You may explore the house, if you wish, although you would do well to stay out of my lab. It is warded, in any case, but I would request that you never enter without my express permission, as several of the potions that I brew are volatile. My room is similarly off limits unless I am present.”

Harry nodded, he could accept that. Snape had been better than he’d expected about giving him his privacy, and Harry could return the favor. He was curious, of course, but he could accept the reasoning and figured that he would see both rooms at some point.

“You may reply to Black’s letter, but do not tell him where you are or what we have just discovered. I would ask that you not tell your friends yet as well, until we can be certain that they will be able to keep this from their families, and not be tempted to tell another.”

“Ron and Hermione wouldn’t tell anyone,” Harry felt inclined to point out. They were his friends and he trusted them to keep his secret. Granted, he knew that Ron would hit the ceiling once he learned that Harry was a Snape, not a Potter, and that his half-brother was Draco, so maybe keeping it to himself for awhile wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

“Just until we have more information. Once we know precisely what we are dealing with, and I am certain that they will be comfortable keeping such things from their parents,” Severus said simply. He knew that Harry, Weasley, and Granger were close, and he wouldn’t have the boy keep things from them if it truly wasn’t necessary, but for now, until they knew more, it was best to keep this to themselves.

“I also plan to speak to your muggle relatives,” Severus continued. “Any possessions that you have left at their home can be retrieved, and we will file the appropriate paperwork in the muggle world so that I have sole custody.” No Death Eater would look through muggle records, even for the Boy Who Lived. They wouldn’t consider it, and would think it was beneath them if it was ever suggested, so it was perfectly safe, even if they would need to wait until after the war to file the appropriate papers in the wizarding world.

“I never have to go back?” Harry asked. He believed Snape, of course, but he had to make sure. So far, living with Snape had been better than Harry had expected it to be. He was sure that they would fight at some point, but it wouldn’t be any different than when Ron talked about fighting with his parents from time to time, or when Hermione mentioned arguments that she’d gotten into with hers. Snape seemed to be actually trying to be his father, and while he didn’t doubt that it would take a lot of work before they both adjusted to the new circumstances, it seemed like Snape was actually trying and that was enough for Harry right now.

“You never have to go back,” Severus confirmed. Those muggles would be lucky if they weren’t incarcerated for child abuse and neglect, depending on what had happened, but he wasn’t going to force Harry to go back to them. They would need to discuss the Dursleys in greater detail later, but for now they were a minor concern. “I promise you, I will do everything in my power to ensure that you never have to return to them.”

Harry nodded, turning his attention to his tea to hide his small smile. Imagining Snape in the same room with his aunt and uncle was amusing, and he had no doubt that, despite their distaste for magic, Snape would be able to make them agree to sign whatever papers were necessary to transfer custody. Regardless of how immune Dumbledore seemed to be to Snape’s glares, they were very effective on everyone else.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3242