The Evans' Farm by relative1983
Summary: For the summer fic fest 2015 and in response to ilreies 'Snapshots of Summer' challenge. Harry has another aunt, one who leaves him her farm. But there are some strings attached. Story starts before Harry is born, and will continue until his Hogwarts years.
Categories: Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Out of Character
Prompts: Snapshots of Summer
Challenges: Snapshots of Summer
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 29086 Read: 54894 Published: 03 Aug 2015 Updated: 31 Aug 2015
Chapter 10 by relative1983
Author's Notes:
New chapter already. This will explain the strings that'll be attached to Harry inheriting the farm and what role Severus is going to play. Unfortunately it does mean that Susan is going to end up dead sometime in the future (sorry people...)

Severus had settled down on a chair next to the hospital bed. “It’s good to see you again Aunt Susan” he said.

Susan smiled at him, or at least she tried to. Then she gestured to Peter and Severus noticed he had a computer set up next to the bed.

“We can use the computer to communicate more easily with her. At least you can still use your right side so you can type, right Susan?” Peter addressed Susan at the last bit, knowing she would hate to be talked about while she was right there.

Susan nodded, and reached out with her right hand to the keyboard. It was slow going but she eventually made it clear that she had asked Severus there to ask him something.

“You want me to what?!” he shouted after he read the text she had typed. “Susan, I think that stroke must have addled your brain more than the doctors thought. How can I be responsible for such a task, and with the Potter boy no less?”

Susan had typed that she wanted to change one more thing in her will. Harry Potter was going to inherit the farm already, but she was afraid that if she died while he was still a minor, the Dursleys might get the farm and either sold it, or demolished it and Harry would probably not receive a penny. To prevent this she had created a trust fund for Harry. Severus, Peter and Emma would be the trustees that oversaw everything, with Emma and Peter doing most of the work during the year. But the condition was that both Severus and Harry spent at least four weeks a year on the farm together.

“I don’t see what’s so bad about staying at the farm for at least four weeks a year, Severus. And Harry is a rather sweet young boy, who reminds me of Lily to be honest.” Peter added. He didn’t understand why Severus reacted so strongly. This was a great way to secure the farm for Harry, and with the three of them they could easily manage it until Harry could inherit the whole thing once he turned eighteen. Of course, he rather hoped it wouldn’t be necessary to do this, as he wanted Susan to live a long and happy life, but the doctors had warned them that Susan might be prone to more strokes, or her heart condition could worsen as well.

“But he’s Potter’s son, Potter who was a bully and who strutted around like he owned the place. No good will come of that.” Severus all but snarled. However, he forget for a moment who his audience was, because Susan then managed to tip her cup of water all over him. While Severus was trying to dry his pants without using magic, he looked her in the face and realized her eyes were blazing. She was angry at him alright.

Sighing he settled down on the chair again, and after checking no nurses were nearby, he quickly used a drying charm on his pants.

“Fine, I’ll do it. Perhaps I can salvage the boy from being an arrogant brat like his father.”

Susan was angrily hitting the keyboard. Severus read; ‘He is his mother’s son, and you had better like him! The Dursleys don’t treat him right, that I know.’

Severus closed his eyes in thought and not a little frustration. Rationally he knew he was overreacting, and hadn’t Peter told him in the car how Harry and Petunia had behaved. It’s not like he didn’t know Petunia and her stupid attitudes, but it was just so hard to ignore who the father of the boy was.

“Very well, I will try to remember. When do you have to make the papers?”

Peter smiled. “That’s the easy bit. Most of the will was already written and validated, however, as I am now one of the trustees I can’t change the will, but my colleague can. He has already started a draft and we just need to add an incentive to persuade Petunia to send her nephew of for four weeks, and we are all set.”

“How will you entice Petunia to do that? I am sure she would rather try to get the farm and lands, so she can either sell it or have her holiday home there or something.”

“It appears that Susan’s husband, John Evans, had set up a fund for both of the girls when they were babies. Lily received her money once she graduated from Hogwarts, but as Petunia wasn’t finished with school at that time, she didn’t. Later on she cut contact with Susan, and one of the stipulations was that she keep in touch. So the fund has been sitting in the bank for quite a few years. It’s about £25.000 by now. Of course, to ensure she will let Harry come each and every year until he’s eighteen, she will only receive a part of it yearly, depending on how old Harry is when Susan dies. And I personally hope that will take many more years!” Peter added quickly.

Severus smiled slightly. That would entice Petunia. No need for her to know she could have had that money years ago if only she had kept in touch. On the other hand, it would be fun to remind her of this fact. While Severus was getting lost in the thoughts of Petunia scowling at this news, Susan was slowly nodding off again.

“There is something I will do tomorrow that can speed up the recovery of Susan for a little bit” he told Peter. “I can brew a potion that will work on a Muggle. It won’t heal her leg very quickly, as that would be a bit suspicious to the doctors here, but it will shorten the time she needs to have it in a cast by several weeks. Unfortunately I can’t give her anything for her stroke or heart. Most potions require the patient to have a magical core of their own, plus brain damage is always tricky. Even magic can’t heal everything. But I can provide her with the potion for her leg. I can apparate to Hogwarts and brew it either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Either way, I will bring it with me tomorrow when I come to visit again, alright?”

Peter stood up and walked with Severus to the exit. “That’s a good idea. I will annoy my colleague and make sure he has the altered will here tomorrow as well, so we can all sign it. I know I’d feel much better with it in place, especially as Susan is not so healthy as we all thought.”

They shook hands, and after looking for a quiet and abandoned corner of the parking area, Severus apparated away, back to Hogwarts.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3243