The Evans' Farm by relative1983
Summary: For the summer fic fest 2015 and in response to ilreies 'Snapshots of Summer' challenge. Harry has another aunt, one who leaves him her farm. But there are some strings attached. Story starts before Harry is born, and will continue until his Hogwarts years.
Categories: Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Out of Character
Prompts: Snapshots of Summer
Challenges: Snapshots of Summer
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 29086 Read: 54912 Published: 03 Aug 2015 Updated: 31 Aug 2015
Chapter 15 by relative1983
Author's Notes:
Only one more chapter to go after this one, and it will be an epilogue. I haven't written it yet, but do know most of what will happen. Enjoy this shorter, but hopefully nice chapter.

At first Harry hadn’t been too sure about Severus Snape. The man looked imposing and very strict, which contrasted with the stories Aunt Susan had told about the man. He had laughed a lot when she told him how Severus had ended up in the Beck when he and Lily had gone fishing one day. Harry had felt sorry for Severus when Aunt Susan told him how Lily and Severus had had a row at school, and that his mum had been very stubborn about making up again and how she had then died before they made up. Harry had decided then and there that if he ever had a good friend and if he would ever fight with that friend he would also make it up.

Now he got to know the adult Severus Snape. The first week Harry stayed at the farm Severus had been away to the school, but he had come back to the farm on Friday evening. Harry had been right about the man being strict. He had to keep to his bedtime, and eat everything on his plate at every meal. Severus also wanted him to keep his room tidy and help with some small chores in the house or on the farm. Harry found however that he didn’t mind too much. After all, at the Dursleys he would’ve had to work much harder and he would get less to eat. Here he could enjoy the use of a proper bedroom, whilst at Privet Drive he would sleep in the cupboard. And Severus was very clear on what he expected out of Harry, not like Vernon or Petunia who would suddenly change their own rules.

The second week of his stay had practically flown by. Harry and Severus had worked together on the farm, they went shopping in Windermere, Severus had taken Harry swimming at the local swimming pool and he let Harry play with his castle in the living room.

Peter and Emma were regular visitors as well. They would often come and join in either for lunch or dinner. Emma had finally told them she was three months pregnant, and that Susan had known about it. Harry was rather looking forward to the baby, as he wanted to pretend to be the little ones big brother. Maybe it would be a baby girl, although a boy would be fun too he decided. Harry loved spending time with people who cared about him. Yes he missed his Aunt Susan lots, and they went to visit her grave several times a week, but he had not known the woman for very long, and it was easier for him to overcome the sadness than it was for the adults around him.

At the end of the third week of the holiday Harry felt the adults were behaving strangely. They would be talking and suddenly stop when they noticed he was close by. Harry ended up helping to move the sheep into new paddocks because he got so annoyed with the adults. Besides, sitting on the quad and ordering the sheepdog around was a lot of fun. Molly the sheep had apparently decided he was an okay little boy and she would even come when he called her. Mr. Thomas decided he’d not have the heart to tell Harry it had probably more to do with the treats the boy carried around for the sheep.

Without realizing it Harry’s birthday was upon him. And so, on the morning of the 31st of July he was awoken by Severus, Peter and Emma who sang him ‘Happy Birthday’. Harry felt this was the best way of waking up ever!

Then they all went down to eat breakfast together, and then Harry received his presents. From Emma and Peter he got some more LEGO’s to go with his castle, and some new clothes. Severus however gave him something even more precious. The man had been rooting around in the house for the last few weeks and had managed to unearth several pictures. He had created a lovely photo album which contained pictures of Susan, her family, the Evans family, Lily and Severus when they were visiting the farm and even two new pictures of a baby Harry with his mum and dad. It had been hard for Severus to put the album together, but he had decided it wouldn’t do to dwell on the past for so long. The look on Harry’s face more than made up for it anyway. Still, it surprised Severus when Harry had flown out of his chair to give the man a bear hug.

Later on in the day the other families visited, just in time for drinks and cake. They too sang the birthday song and Harry was allowed to blow out the candles. He received even more presents, including a book, a puzzle, some more LEGO and a new pair of wellies (this was from Mrs. Shaw). Then Harry and the other children went to play tag whilst the adults enjoyed the relative peace and quiet.

At the end of the day Harry was feeling tired, but very pleased with this birthday. He went to sleep quite happily.

The last week of his stay on the farm flew by and before he knew it, it was time to return to the Dursleys. He had packed all his things, and Severus was ready to leave as well, seeing as how he needed to prepare for the upcoming school year.

“Can I please stay with you Severus?” Harry asked.

Severus sighed. Harry had been asking this for the last hour or so. “I’m sorry Harry but you can’t. Your aunt and uncle are your guardians, and I am not. However, we will spend four weeks a year together at the farm, and I believe I can write you sometimes. Remember what we spoke about, if you are the first to get the mail every day, you can hide the mail you receive from me. I will include a stamp and envelope so you can always reach me.”

Harry nodded against his leg, as he had taking to hugging the man tightly. Since Harry was aware of magic they were being spared the hours of driving, and would just apparate to Privet Drive. It was easier and quicker, plus it meant that Harry could spend a few more hours running around on the farm instead of sitting in the back of a car. The Dursleys were not expecting him back until late in the day after all, so why not take advantage of it.

“I am not sure if I can leave for Christmas, but be assured I will see you again in the summer. Peter and Emma have already told your aunt you can stay at the farm for Christmas, as they will be there, so you will see them pretty soon,”

Of course, Severus had forgotten how long a few months were for a boy of seven, so Harry didn’t think he would see them very soon at all.

“I’ll miss you, lots and lots.” He mumbled.

Severus was just happy that both Peter and Emma had already headed home, because this was starting to get a bit embarrassing. It was a good thing his colleagues at Hogwarts couldn’t see him now.

“I understand Harry, but now it’s really time to leave. Just hold on tight, and we will be at Privet Drive really soon.”

With that he took a firm grasp of Harry’s arms and apparated the both of them away. The Evans farm stood silently, waiting for them to return.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3243