The Evans' Farm by relative1983
Summary: For the summer fic fest 2015 and in response to ilreies 'Snapshots of Summer' challenge. Harry has another aunt, one who leaves him her farm. But there are some strings attached. Story starts before Harry is born, and will continue until his Hogwarts years.
Categories: Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Out of Character
Prompts: Snapshots of Summer
Challenges: Snapshots of Summer
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 29086 Read: 54907 Published: 03 Aug 2015 Updated: 31 Aug 2015
Chapter 4 by relative1983
Author's Notes:
I changed a few sentences and small details in chapter three. Nothing major, so you don'thave to reread it if you don't want to. I decided to split this chapter into two, because I couldn't quite get it right today. I also hope you don't mind that I have been changing the POV several times already. Eventually it will be from either Severus or Harry's POV only. But not just yet!

The next morning, a very well rested Susan, Peter and Emma were on their way back to Privet Drive number four. They had spent the night in a nice B&B where they would stay for the next two nights as well. The lovely lady who ran the B&B had suggested a large playground with a café and petting zoo to Susan, so she could spend the day with Harry and make sure she wouldn’t get too tired out either. Peter and Emma would drop them off and pick them up after they had finished their shopping trip. “I am looking forward to seeing your grandson for the first time” Emma said. She had never met Lily and James, so only knew them from a few non-magical pictures Susan had kept in her house.

“The last time I saw him was a few days after he turned one year old. They had come by my house, and he was so adorable.” Susan smiled slightly thinking back to that day. Little Harry with his unruly black hair and amazing green eyes had definitely won her over. He could stand on his own by then, but wasn’t quite brave enough to walk anywhere, unless of course his dear dada helped him along. Lily had proudly told her all about the first accidental magic he had performed the day before. It seemed Harry had wanted his cuddly dog to sleep with him, and had summoned it over to his crib from the shelf. Lily had seen it, as she had been coming upstairs to see why he was being so fussy.

Susan pulled herself back to the present. Now was not the time to think back, but to look forward to spending the day with Harry. He would be turning six next month, and she was planning on doing something special for his birthday. “We’re here Susan. Shall I walk with you or do you want to do it alone?” Peter asked. “I can manage on my own, thank you.” And with that Susan opened the car door and walked up to the front door of her niece’s house. Before she could even ring the doorbell the door was opened by a huge man. ‘Vernon’ her mind supplied. He scowled at her and was about to open his mouth, probably to say something rude, but Susan beat him to it. “Just let me have Harry for the day and I will be gone. We will probably stay away until around seven, so he can be in bed on time.” Vernon grunted something and then said to her “you don’t bring him back until tomorrow. Petunia and I have made plans to spend the weekend with our little tyke, and he will just be in the way.” Then he turned around and closed the front door. Susan frowned at the door, wondering what was going on behind it. She didn’t like this one little bit. Through the door she could hear Vernon calling “Boy, get over here right now. You are to leave and we don’t want to see you until tomorrow. You will not do any freaky stuff and you will behave yourself.” Shocked, Susan was about to call out to Peter when the door was opened again. Vernon pushed a small dark-haired boy out of the door and without saying another word closed the door once more. This was how Susan got her first look at young Harry in four years’ time.

His big green eyes were somewhat hidden behind large rather ugly glasses. His black hair was even more unruly than it had been when Harry had been a little baby and eerily reminded her of James. The clothes he was wearing were ridiculously large and baggy and Susan wondered about the financial situation of her niece if this is how she dressed the children. Realizing she was making Harry nervous, she smiled softly, knowing that any discussions with Peter or Petunia would have to be held at a later time. “Hello Harry. It is wonderful to see you again. You certainly have grown a lot over the years. Did Petunia or Vernon explain to you who I am?” Harry shook his head and carefully looked her in the eye, and then he smiled softly. “How do you know me?” he asked her. Gently she lead him towards the waiting car. “Well, I am an aunt of both Petunia and your mother Lily. So basically I am your great-aunt. I hadn’t known that you lived with Petunia otherwise I would have visited you much sooner. When I found out I travelled as quickly as possible to this place and today I can spend the day with you.” She smiled wider. “I am very much looking forward to getting to know you again little Harry. I have missed you very much.” She carefully reached out her hand, and after hesitating only a little Harry took her hand.

“What should I call you then?” he asked her softly. “I would like it very much if you can just call me aunt Susan. That’s what your mother and father called me, and that is what you will do to I hope.” Harry nodded quickly. In his other hand he had a small backpack, presumably filled with extra clothing, pyjamas and a toothbrush. Susan hoped she could arrange this unexpected stay with the B&B, but she didn’t see much of a problem. Her bedroom had an extra bed in there, and Harry would probably behave himself.

Peter had gotten out of the car and opened the doors for them. “Hello there Harry. It’s nice to finally see the grandson of Susan again. I’m sure you will have a lovely day together.” Susan thanked Peter and once Harry was seated in the car explained what had just happened. “They just dumped him on you for the weekend? That is ridiculous. Don’t worry though, I will call the B&B and explain the situation. The lady who runs the place already knows you haven’t seem him in years, and I’m sure she will be accommodating for one night. And if not, then we just find another place to stay for the evening.” “Thank you Peter. I don’t like having to make you go through all this trouble, but Petunia certainly hasn’t changed for the better over the years. Now, we’d better go to this playground, and you will go shopping before the day is over.” Laughing they both got into the car. Susan was sitting in the back near Harry who was looking interested in pretty much everything when they drove away.

“I hope you will like the place I’m taking you to” Susan said. “The lady from the B&B told me it was the most popular playground in the area, and if you like we can go into the petting zoo. We will definitely have lunch in the café though, as I don’t have any food with me.” She laughed lightly, hoping to open up Harry. After all, to him she was virtually a stranger, and she wasn’t used to dealing with young children any more. “You’re really taking me to the playground?” it sounded as if Harry had never been to one before, but Susan felt that she must be imagining this. “Yes I am. And we will stay there until Peter and Emma here, who were kind enough to drive me all the way here, have come back from their shopping.” Harry gaped at the two in the front. “You drove all the way over here? Did you come from very, very far away, like, like Greater Whinging?” to Harry this other town must seem like a huge distance and Susan laughed. Peter replied “Oh no, we didn’t come from Greater Whining, but from even further away.” Harry squeaked. “Even further away? Did it take you days to get here then?” He didn’t understand why the adults were laughing again. “It took several hours and we came from Windermere, which is in the Lake District in Cumbria” Peter explained. To Harry he might as well have said he came from a foreign country. For a boy that had never gone far from his aunt and uncle’s house –at least that he could remember- Windermere was very far away indeed.

By now Peter had managed to find a parking spot opposite the playground. It was already starting to get more busy, so he quickly helped both Susan and Harry from the car. “Have a nice time, and see you later!” he called out. Then he quickly drove off to go to the shoppingcentre Emma wanted him to go.”

Susan held Harry’s hand again when they made their way to the entrance of the playground. Susan paid the entrance fee and they walked in.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3243