The Evans' Farm by relative1983
Summary: For the summer fic fest 2015 and in response to ilreies 'Snapshots of Summer' challenge. Harry has another aunt, one who leaves him her farm. But there are some strings attached. Story starts before Harry is born, and will continue until his Hogwarts years.
Categories: Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Out of Character
Prompts: Snapshots of Summer
Challenges: Snapshots of Summer
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 29086 Read: 54902 Published: 03 Aug 2015 Updated: 31 Aug 2015
Chapter 9 by relative1983
Author's Notes:
I am on a role today. I just finished chapter nine. Three chapters in one day. Not sure if I can update tomorrow, I have to go to Uni, but I want to finish in time for the deadline. Also, school and work starts up again next week, so I wouldn't even have time to write.

Severus was enjoying the quiet of the Great Hall so early in the morning. Tomorrow the school year would end and all children would go home on the Hogwarts Express. He was quite looking forward to it. It would mean that he didn’t have to teach for nearly two months, and after stocking up the hospital wing he could enjoy a well-earned holiday. Just as he was sipping his second cup of coffee to get through the day a house elf came up to deliver an envelope. It was obviously muggle in looks, and addressed to his house on Spinner’s End. Severus sighed, until he realized it wasn’t a bill or anything and that he didn’t recognize the handwriting. Quickly he slid open the envelope, aware of the curious gazes of his two colleagues, Albus and Minerva.

As his eyes took in the words that were written on the paper he paled and then re-read the letter again. Abruptly he stood up and announced “I have to leave. There’s been a family emergency. I do not know when I will return. Albus will you look after my Slytherins today and possibly tomorrow? Once I know more I will contact you.”

And he stood up and quickly exited the Great Hall. Stunned both Albus and Minerva looked at his retreating form. “But I thought his family all died.” Minerva managed to say.

“So did I.” said Albus.

Severus meanwhile was making his way out of Hogwarts to reach the edge of the wards where he could apparate. He didn’t trouble himself with packing any of his things, as seeing Susan was more important. Once he made it through the gates he composed himself, concentrated on the Evans’ farm and with a soft pop he was gone.

Nearly instantly he appeared in a secluded corner of the farm. Susan had helped him pick out this spot, as hardly anyone came there unless they had an urgent need for old tractor parts. He remembered just in time to change his robes into more Muggle looking clothing, and quickly walked towards the main house. The letter, written by Peter the solicitor, had told him to call from the house so he could be picked up and brought to the hospital. Severus wasn’t sure what was wrong with Susan, but for her to end up in the hospital and for him to be called, he knew it must be serious.

At the kitchen door he looked underneath a small pot and removed the key that was always under there. Once in the kitchen he called the number that was mentioned in the letter, and waited anxiously until someone picked up at the other end.

“Mrs. Johnson speaking.” A light female voice sounded.

“Hello, Severus Snape calling. I am at the Evans’s farm right now, I believe your husband sent me the letter and asked me to come here and give you a call. It’s about Susan.”

The lady at the other end sounded relieved to hear him. “Oh thank goodness. We weren’t sure how long the letter would take to reach you, or how long it would take you to get to the farm. I will send my husband to you straight away. He’ll probably be there in about ten minutes, and he will update you on Susan’s condition when you’re on the way to the hospital. By the time you will get there visiting hours will have started, so you have great timing. I expect I will see you later today. I am assuming you do not have a place to stay just yet?”

Severus was a little overwhelmed by this kind woman, but told her that yes, he hadn’t arranged anything.

“Good, you will stay in our guest room then. I will prepare it now. Goodbye.” And with that she had hung up.

Bemused Severus stared at the phone, but quickly hung up once he saw a car coming towards the farm at the end of the drive way. That was the good thing of being in the kitchen. It was positioned just so, that you could always see people coming towards the farm.

He stepped outside and returned the key to his hiding place, before straightening up and trying to look less panicked than he felt. After all, if they had to keep to visiting hours it might not be so bad after all. Wasn’t it true that on the ICU people were allowed to stay longer? He thought he’d read something like that once, although to be fair it had been a long time since he had seen a muggle hospital up close. The last time had been when his mother had fallen ill.

Standing in front of the farm waiting for the car to arrive seemed to take ages, but in reality only took a few minutes. Once the car stopped the door was opened by Peter, a face that Severus felt looked familiar.

“Ah, now I remember!” said Peter. “We played together a few times the year you and Lily came to stay here. I think we managed to swim in the very cold lake once or twice, isn’t that right?”

Severus thought back to that lovely summer and realized he did indeed know this Peter. “Aren’t you the son of Mr. Johnson the man with the gray hair and who always smoked a pipe when he came over?”

Peter laughed, “Yes, I am. Gods that smelled pretty bad didn’t it?”

Severus smirked slightly. “Yes, this is why I still remember it so well.”

They shook hands and Peter gestured to the car. “Best get in so I can fill you in on what’s been going on here. We will go to the hospital and visit Susan, she’ll be pleased to see you, as she insisted on me writing the letter.”

Severus was curious as to what Peter could be referring to, but kept quiet for now. He was also unsure if Peter knew about magic or not. Wasn’t there something about that summer that he should remember as well?

“Before we start anything else, I just want you to know I do know about magic. Lily managed to make a rose grow in a few seconds that summer, and trust me, I will never forget it. Susan has told me that you work as a teacher for the magic school, and that was why I couldn’t just call you on the phone.”

Now Severus remembered. Lily was always doing things like that when they were younger, and even once they had started Hogwarts. Growing flowers was something she enjoyed doing, and Peter had indeed seen it once. They hadn’t been very good at keeping Magic a secret that was for sure. Lucky the ministry wasn’t as controlling as they were now over magic performed during the summer holidays.

“I only received the letter this morning, and I came here straight away. Could you please tell me what happened?”

And so Peter explained about Susan having a stroke and being on the kitchen floor with a broken leg as well. About how she was now –hopefully temporarily – paralyzed on the left side, although doctors thought they saw an improvement in her face. And he told about how they had seen young Harry and Petunia’s reaction on the phone.

Severus snorted. “Her reaction does not surprise me one little bit. She was always jealous over the attention Lily received, and the fact that we had magic and she didn’t. Then there is the fact that Aunt Susan didn’t take kindly to her attitude, and look and behold, she doesn’t like Susan either.”

By now they were nearing the hospital and Peter was busy looking for a place to park his car. Finally he found a spot and they quickly walked inside. As Peter knew exactly where they were going they avoided the queue that was standing in front of the information desks.  Severus became slightly nervous the closer they got to Susan’s room. After all, he had only been exchanging letters with her since a few months again. The last time he had seen her was at Mr. and Mrs. Evans funeral. And now she was affected by a stroke. He didn’t know what to image there, as wizards and witches didn’t have strokes. Their magic protected the brains from damaging in such a way.

Peter softly opened the door to a ward on the second floor. He gestured for Severus to come inside before closing the door behind them.

“Hello Susan. I brought you a guest that you’ve wanted to see quite urgently I believe.”

Peter stepped up to the single bed that was in the room. Susan was facing the door and her sharp eyes lit up when she spotted Severus. She tried to smile although not all of her mouth was working just yet, and held out her right hand in a clear invitation.

“Hello Aunt Susan.” Severus said, and he stepped forward.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3243