Surgery by Henna Hypsch
Past Featured StorySummary: Summer fic fest. At one point, early in their life, every wizard needs to submit to surgery. The summer after his first year at Hogwarts, it is the turn of Harry Potter to do so. It’s supposed to be a trifle, but what is ordinary about the Boy-who-lived? Complications will arise. Ghosts from the past will appear and secrets people thought buried for ever are revealed. The question is, in the middle of this ordeal, will Severus Snape at long last find something meaningful to do with his life?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Fic Fests > #18 Summer 2015 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Molly, Other, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: Overly-protective Snape
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Hospitalization
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Prompts: Petunia, Tell Me The Truth, Surgery
Challenges: Petunia, Tell Me The Truth, Surgery
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 52532 Read: 105308 Published: 20 Aug 2015 Updated: 31 Aug 2015
Chapter 12 A glimpse of truth by Henna Hypsch

Once again, Snape found himself at the inn of Ottery St Catchpole. He had rented the same room as before and sat on the edge of his bed, staring through the window at the starry sky. He tried to get a grasp on his feelings as they were an odd compound of contentment and melancholy. He was relieved that he had been able to reconcile so easily with Harry, but was at the same time drained of all motivation at the thought of going back to Spinners End. 

 

It felt so meaningless! What was the point? All that work for a house of murky memories, in a suffocatingly tight neighbourhood, in the asphalted part of an industrial city - it was simply not worth it. He didn’t want to live there. What was he doing? Who was he deceiving? The same kind of apathy and despair that had assailed him now and again during the past year, mounted in him with new force, but now there was a straw to cling to, and that was Harry. 

 

Snape sighed deeply - he was probably just overwrought from hard work and the taxing conversation with Harry. The nerve of Petunia’s husband to ask him to come back solely for their egoistical purposes! Snape shook his head as if to the get rid of the mounting anger. He should get some sleep and try to put things into perspective in the morning.

 

***

 

Breakfast was partaken downstairs in the pub and Snape had his favourite table in a dark corner, partly hidden by the bar counter. During his previous weeks of stay, there had been the scarce guest, mostly solitary tradesmen travelling through the county. Therefore Snape was surprised to be addressed by a female voice while he was having his morning coffee. 

 

”Mr Snape, how nice to see you again.” 

 

When Snape looked up, it took him a few seconds to identify the young woman as the red-headed nurse at the Intensive Care Unit who had tended to Harry those first, horrible days at the hospital in Little Whinging. She looked different in her private clothes and with her long red hair let down. Snape rose from his chair. 

 

”How are you Mrs? Miss? Laura. I’m sorry, I don’t recall your surname,” said Snape.

 

”I’m not surprised, because we only put our first names on the badges we wear at the hospital. I’m Laura Fanfers. And it’s Miss. But you can call me Laura. May I have a seat?”

 

Snape gestured for her to sit down at his table.

 

”I’m glad I ran into you, because I so wondered what happened to your son,” said Laura.

 

”Thankfully, he’s more or less completely restored to health. Harry’s foster family lives nearby. I’m here to visit, actually.”

 

”Oh, I think it’s a shame that he cannot live permanently with you. How many times have you visited? It must tax your energy to travel back and fro like that?”

 

”Mr Snape’s been staying here almost the entire summer,” intervened the proprietor who had been cleaning a nearby table and overheard the conversation. ”So that’s why you’ve been sneaking around?” The sturdy man scrutinised Snape. ”You’ve got a kid here? The boy who lives with the Weasley family, is it? I’ve heard about him. The Weasleys are nice enough, although they keep a bit to themselves. Why haven’t you said anything, mate? There are rumours about you. No one could figure out why you stayed for so long. The fishing is not bad around here, but perhaps not good enough to motivate a three week stay. And now you’re here again. The Weasleys let you see your lad, then?”

 

”Er…” said Snape, slightly embarrassed. ”Yes, they’ve been very forthcoming and patient with my visits.”

 

”Good for you, good for you. You should never give up on your kids. My wife got a divorce and moved far away when the kids were still little and I regret not insisting on seeing them more often, or moving closer to them.” The middle-aged man shook his head. ”How is your sister, by the way, Laura? Is she down with her family?”

 

”Yes, why, that’s the reason you got the honour of housing me, Fred. No room for me at the cottage when the whole gang is visiting.” Laura turned to Snape to explain. ”My parents live in the village. When my sister comes down with her five children and her husband, it gets a little crowded and it’s a blessing to be able to retire to the inn, while they muddle around.” Laura did not seem to feel the least slighted at not being able to stay in her parents’ house.

 

”When are you going to settle, then, Laura? Still with that guy in Surrey?” asked Fred.

 

”No, we split up two years ago,” said Laura a bit stiffly. ”I still live in Little Whinging, though.”

 

”That long ago, er? Years pass too fast,” muttered Fred and moved on to clean another part of the room.

 

”Seriously, Mr Snape, I don’t want to prod or anything, but it seemed to me that you might need a bit of encouragement to stand up for yourself. You should not let the authorities put you down. Have you filed that application for permanent custody of Harry?”

 

Snape did not quite have the time to school his features into blankness and Laura scowled at him. 

 

”You must make sure that you do. Why, if you’ve spent most of the summer here only to be near Harry, then you’re clearly ready to make a lot of sacrifices for your son. I don’t know what crime you’ve committed, but it belongs to the past and if the authorities cannot understand that, you must convince them. Why don’t you move here, to keep close to Harry and prove to them how important this is for you? Look, my parents’ neighbour passed away a month ago, and her children is selling her house and…” 

 

Snape looked at her with such incredulity that she stopped herself. 

 

”Sorry, I ramble. But listen, you cannot let go. Fight for it! The bond with a child cannot be undone, once it’s formed. Even if you were separated from him by the cruel circumstances of life, it’s still there, don’t you see? By the mere fact that he is your son and that you want him. Don’t underestimate it!”

 

Snape looked down at the table, embarrassed.

 

”Let me tell you something personal,” said Laura. ”I had a still-born child two and a half years ago. He only lived within my womb. I never saw him alive. I never got to know him. But the bond had formed while I carried him and he will always be my child. Always. I visit his grave. I speak to him. My partner did not understand my behaviour, that’s why we went separate ways. Despite everything, I’m glad that the love bond formed. It is the most natural and the most magical of human bonds, the one between a parent and a child. I’m glad that I got the opportunity to feel the strength of the love ties to a child. All the expectations, all the thoughts while I carried him…” Laura’s voice broke, but she quickly collected herself. ”It counts,” she continued firmly. ”Every thought, every expectation that you’ve had concerning Harry, it counts, and you’re bound to him, that’s just how it is.”

 

Snape stared at her. The unsuspecting nurse had no idea how right and how wrong she was at the same time. Snape suddenly felt guilty over the fact that Laura confessed a personal trauma to him under the false impression that Snape really was the unfairly treated father who longed for his son. She was a Muggle and had no conception of magical bonds like the Ancient bond of the appendicitis rite, yet she described something very similar, as a natural part of the bonding of love between a child and a parent. Snape felt strangely agitated, as if her words rang within him with an unexpected truth and clarity. He rose, mumbled an embarrassed thank you and an excuse and retreated to his room. There was something of a disappointment in Laura’s eyes as they followed him out.

 

***

 

In the evening, Snape collected Harry with a generous margin of time before the circus would start.

 

”Half of the pleasure resides in the hustle around the performance,” explained Snape. ”We should allow ourselves the time to walk around and observe, see if we can spot the animals, look at the people and buy you some treats.” 

 

Harry was excited, but he cast Severus a scrutinising gaze and asked timidly.

 

”You look tired, Sir.”

 

The boy was observant, Snape thought, not for the first time, and replied calmly:

 

”I’ve had a busy day. It will be nice to sit down with you and let the spectacle beguile us.”

 

”Did something unpleasant happen to you? Or did you just work hard at your house?” Harry still seemed concerned. Severus appeared even graver than usual, despite the amusement that awaited them. Maybe he needed to put a problem into words, like he had made Harry do the other night? It had helped a lot. Realising that Uncle Vernon’s request was only an egoistical manipulation had calmed Harry considerably. He had been able to sleep well and he had had a good day at the Burrow. Snape drew his breath.

 

”Neither, in fact. But I had a kind of… epiphany… And had to explore some…  possibilities. When you’ve been unsure about something for a long time, it is not unpleasant to suddenly find yourself convinced of the right action to take, even if it implies some… substantial changes.”

 

Harry looked intrigued and a little confused.

 

”Please, Harry, don’t worry. I will talk to you and explain some more after the performance. Now, don’t let that spoil your first experience of a circus. Come here.” They entered one end of the marquee into a sales section. Snape guided Harry over to a booth behind which an expressionless, busty woman towered. 

 

”Candy-floss,” stated Snape dryly. ”Have you ever tried it? No? I warn you, it’s very sticky, but it sort of goes with the circus. You should try it at least once in your life. Those glaring green and yellow blinking straps did not exist in my time, but by the way you’re eyeing them, I deduce that you’re tempted by them? No buts - this is your birthday present. I’m happy to offer it to you. Here you go.”

 

By the time they found their way to their seats, Harry was already overwhelmed by the atmosphere. Circus seemed to be a strange marriage between crude earthly elements - like the smell of sawdust, plastic tarpaulins and of animal bodies - and a striving towards extravagance, signalled by the thick velvet hangings in wine red, dresses in silver and gold and men and women with heavy make-up. The spectacle was just about to begin.

 

***

 

Harry lived each part of the show with great intensity, laughing, sighing in awe and hissing in fear as the Muggle artists enchanted their audience with their stunts. He loved every number that included animals, but whispered his concerns to Severus every time the keepers used their whips to right an animal that lacked in attention. There was no openly cruel treatment of the animals, but Harry still felt deep sympathy with them. 

 

Afterwards, Harry was too overwhelmed at first to talk much as he followed Severus through the crowd and out of the marquee. They retraced their steps, by a combination of Muggle and magical transport, to Ottery St Catchpole from where they continued by foot towards the Burrow. 

 

When they entered the spacious garden surrounding the house, Harry stopped because he noticed that Severus had halted to shut the gate behind them. Severus, clad in black as usual, was only a shadow in the dusk, but Harry still noticed that the wizard’s hands shook slightly. The teacher cleared his voice. 

 

”I would like to speak to you, Harry, before we go inside, if you please,” said Severus. There was the least little waver in his voice, but Harry picked it up instantly and his heart began to race and his imagination started to run riot, randomly exploring every possible and unlikely alternative. 

 

What could it be about? Severus had looked tired and spoken of substantial changes. What if he was ill? Maybe Severus needed to be admitted to a hospital? But no, the appendicitis was the only occasion in a wizard’s life that needed surgical intervention. Almost everything else could be fixed by magic, Harry reminded himself. But what if this couldn’t? Although, Severus did not look that ill, did he? Harry calmed himself. Right now, his teacher looked more nervous than anything. What then, if his teacher had decided to quit his job at Hogwarts? Maybe he wanted to move abroad? Harry had overheard Mr Weasley tell Mrs Weasley that Severus usually travelled a lot during the summers. Maybe the teacher was going to announce that he was leaving the country, and that Harry would not see him again? Just as they had reconciled after that stupid argument about the broom-flying. Harry forced himself not to panic, but he knew with certainty from the tone in Severus’ voice that it must be something serious.

 

”Don’t worry, Harry,” said Severus as if he sensed Harry’s apprehension. ”I simply want to… explain myself to you, that’s all…” The tone was still strained, but he patted Harry reassuringly on the shoulder as he led the way over to a bench placed under a pear tree. They sat down and Severus leant forward, elbows on his knees, so that his long black hair hid his face. Harry gripped the wooden tile he was sitting on with both hands on either side of his thighs. Severus stayed silent for a long while.

 

”I met Nurse Laura earlier today,” he finally said. ”Do you remember her from the hospital in Little Whinging? She only took care of you during the first few critical days of your stay, but she was at the meeting with the social services so you might have noticed her.”

 

”I remember,” Harry responded promptly. ”She has red hair and she defended you at the meeting. She thought that you should be given custody of me…” Harry blushed.

 

”Hmm… Yes, she did. Her parents live in Ottery St Catchpole. She inquired after you and I told her that you had healed well, without further complications… Although you did make a few attempts to disrupt your wound - by standing up in a fishing boat and by flying a broomstick too early…” Severus added with a sharp emphasis, turning towards Harry who drew his breath to retort, but Severus beat him to it, waving his hand indulgently. ”I know… sticking charms… We’ve been through that. I’m sorry, it was not my intention to bring it up again.” He was silent for a while again before stating. ”Naturally, she still thinks that you are my son.”

 

After that followed so long a silence that Harry began to wonder if that was all. A greeting from a nurse at the hospital. But then Severus cleared his voice yet again.

 

”Do you remember what I told that other nurse about myself and your mother?” asked Severus.

 

”That you were childhood friends and that you… fell in love with her…” Harry whispered hesitantly. Harry was not sure, but he thought that Severus nodded. ”Did you?” Harry chanced in a small voice.

 

”Yes, that, too, was true. I did fall in love with Lily. Or maybe I loved her from the first moment I saw her, I don’t know,” said Severus and cleared his throat again. ”I’m… I’m telling you this, so that you might understand what I want to do… And why I want to do it,” he continued, his words coming out quicker. ”I need you to understand, because you need to approve the changes that I want to set in motion as soon as possible.”

 

”You need my approval?” Harry asked uncertainly. Why would that be? How strange. Severus was an adult, a teacher, an authority - surely he did not need Harry’s approval? No one did. No one had ever asked him to approve of anything, not even things that concerned him.

 

”Yes,” Severus said firmly. ”If you don’t want it, I won’t go through with it. At the same time, I need you to keep what I am about to tell you a secret. Even if my… er… revelations and… intentions come to nothing, it must stay between us. Not even Professor Dumbledore must know, do you think you can promise me that?”

 

Harry hesitated. 

 

”It’s not a trick, Harry. It’s just very personal,” said Severus and swallowed hard. Harry could tell that his teacher was afraid to tell whatever it was he was about to tell Harry.

 

”I promise,” said Harry. 

 

”Good. Now, the bond - the appendicitis rite bond,” clarified Severus. ”I don’t know if you have guessed, but it has affected me more than is common for an outsider, or a professional teacher…”

 

”Er… I guess, but then you disappeared, and I thought that it had dissolved…” mumbled Harry.

 

”I only managed to stay away, because I was empowered by anger and humiliation. And the… er… strength of that reaction was, perhaps, in itself a proof of the staggering impact the bond has had on me,” Severus replied dryly. ”The effects of the bond came back with equal force as soon as I saw you again on the night of your birthday.” 

 

”Because you were in love with my mother?” inquired Harry shyly.

 

”Yes, that’s what I have thought hitherto, as well,” said Severus and drew his breath. ”And, truth be told, without rejecting the bond, I have nonetheless wriggled a bit under its tentacles, because I found it slightly ridiculous to feel so… so spirited away… by a child who was my rival’s.” Severus shook his head several times. ”However…” Severus drew a new deep breath. Harry could tell that it was becoming increasingly difficult for the man to speak. ”However, speaking to Miss Laura Fanfare this morning made me admit something… that I had buried deep down… out of shame, embarrassment, guilt - you name it…” Severus’ voice trailed off and Harry could feel how tense the wizard beside him was. Severus had placed both hands on his knees and his shoulders were drawn up to his ears. Instinctively, Harry put one hand on the taught arm that was nearest and stroked it soothingly. 

 

”It’s okay… It’s okay…”Harry whispered, near tears to feel Severus so wrought up. ”I won’t judge you for what happened long ago… Really, I won’t. I only care about what is now. No one has given up their time for me like you have this summer and… er… cared for me, in… er… in your own stern way, but still you have cared about me and I value that, no matter what! You must believe me.” Severus seemed to calm down somewhat, but he disengaged his arm gently from Harry’s hand and gazed out into the darkness. 

 

”I… worked for him… I was his servant… For nearly a year… Do you understand?” Severus turned to look straight at Harry who blinked and sat very still, meeting Severus’ deep-set eyes in the clear-featured face overlaid with shadows in the dusk. Severus continued hoarsely. ”I harboured a constant feeling of injustice when I was young, and I had always been fascinated by the branch of magic that is the Dark Arts. I was vaguely interested in Lord Voldemort’s ideals while I dated your mother - I was young and ignorant - mentioning to her at one time, unsuspiciously, that I might want to check it out. But she… Lily had a better understanding of contemporary politics than I, and was… rightly… abhorred by my tendencies. I stupidly defended my ill-founded point of view, not wanting to give in, out of pure, stubborn, principle.”

 

Snape sighed deeply with regret before he continued. Harry still sat frozen, eyes fastened on the struggling wizard.

 

”Lily had been talking about marriage, about forming a family. I think that I was afraid. I was too young, too insecure and too damaged to dare attempt such a thing. You could say that I inadvertently drove her away. She left me and my… my…” Severus’ voice almost strangled him. ”My immature reaction to being stood up by the woman I loved, was to go straight to the Dark Lord and offer my obedience.” He swallowed. ”I very soon realised my mistake but not until… not until…”

 

Severus had to make a pause. Harry’s heart was pounding mercilessly and he wiped his sweaty hands on the legs of his trousers. Thoughts were whirling in his head. Voldemort… his servant… Severus realised his mistake… but what? What was more to come? Harry turned an apprehensive face towards Severus again. 

 

”Please tell me, Sir,” Harry said in a choked voice. ”Now that you started you must tell me everything.”

 

”I will…” mumbled Severus. He sighed and it sounded almost like a low wail, before he continued. ”I learnt of Lily’s pregnancy - no, that’s not correct - I never knew that she was pregnant, because once she left me, she never kept in touch. I learnt that she had given birth to a boy. Someone mentioned it in passing. I reflexively inquired after the exact date and…” Severus paused again and hesitated. ”I’m sorry, you’re a bit young to know of these things, I guess, but there are ways of calculating… er… when a child is… er… conceived…” Severus coughed slightly in embarrassment.

 

Harry only frowned at him in confusion. 

 

”I… I thought that you were mine,” Severus managed to articulate. ”For a short while - or not so short - I don’t know… I actually thought that you might be mine. I was not sure, of course, but the date corresponded perfectly with… er… the time just before Lily left me. I did not know what to do. I was conflicted - indignant in the case she was withholding me the fact that I had a child, and scared to death to assume responsibility and take the step to actually contact her and demand a paternity test. I tried to steal upon her a few times to catch a look at you, but I only saw you from afar. She was cradling you, adoring you. Motherhood agreed with her. Lily was radiant and beautiful. I was regretful and insecure. I knew I was not worthy of her. And then… then… I made a fatal mistake…” Severus swallowed. ”I stumbled upon something that I did not think was significant, but… unknowingly, it turned out… that I participated in leading Voldemort to think that you were a threat to him… that he needed to kill you and… as a consequence he started to persecute you. It was my fault that Voldemort decided to kill you and Lily and James Potter. My fault…”

 

Harry stared out in the darkness, numb and confused. What was Severus saying? Harry had only known about the way Lily and James Potter died for barely a year. If he had not heard the voice of Voldemort from the back of Quirrel’s head and sensed the evil waves of magic emanating from the bodiless creature, it would have been completely unreal to him. He still did not understand why Voldemort had gone after him as a baby. Severus seemed to say that there was a reason, but it was too complicated to fathom. He did not want to think about it. Instead he asked in a small voice:

 

”What did you do?”

 

”I contacted Dumbledore,” Severus whispered in one exhalation. ”I asked him to warn Lily, to protect her and… I changed sides. There was no doubt in my mind once the decision was made. However, I continued to act as a Death Eater - that’s the name of Voldemort’s followers - but I was Dumbledore’s spy. I worked for him until the end of the war and that’s why he saved me from going to Azkaban. I was still sentenced to probation for my activities as a Death Eater.”

 

”You changed to the good side,” said Harry, quick to grasp the forgiving angle of Severus’ story.

 

”I did it… I did it for you,” said Severus in a strangled tone. ”Albus thinks that I did it only for Lily. He thought that I loved her from afar - he didn’t know that we had been involved in a relationship, that there was a possibility… He never suspected my qualms of uncertainty when it came to you. I was so horrified by what I had done, by my terrible mistake. The fact that I - inadvertently, but all the same - exposed what might be my own child to the cruelty of Voldemort and might have condemned my own son to death, was more than I could handle…” Severus lowered his head in his hands as his voice broke. 

 

Again Harry stroked his arm, awkwardly.

 

”The overpowering sense of guilt made me drop the speculations of you being my son at once. From the very day the shock of what I had done hit me, I considered you James’ son - out of some sense of self-preservation, I guess, or maybe as a self-inflicted punishment.” Severus lifted his head to look at Harry. ”The way the appendicitis rite bond affected me, has forced me to realise, however, that against all reason, a shade of doubt must have lingered in my subconscious mind. While speaking to Nurse Laura today, I was reminded that bonding with a child can be done in so many ways, also with mere thoughts and intentions and, basically, it made me realise that it did not so much matter whether in truth you are my son, biologically, or not, because the fact that I believed so at one time must have sufficed for the magic to treat me like a parent who needed to be reconciled with and rectified of his negative animosity towards his child. I acknowledge that I treated you abominably during the past school year and that the present benevolent and protective instincts that the bond has brought forth in me might be more in line with my true feelings for you.” 

 

Harry only stared at Severus who sighed.

 

”What I mean to say, Harry, is that I care about you more than I have been prepared to acknowledge. I realise that what I have told you of my crimes towards you and Lily and James, will probably repel you. You have every right to demand never to speak to me again after what I have revealed.” 

 

Harry had to make an effort to snap out of the tempest of thoughts in his head and the storm of feelings rummaging his body. It was all too much, too much to process, too much to understand. He grasped the only thread that seemed to make sense.

 

”Shouldn’t we… shouldn’t we… do a test or something? To know the truth, I mean?” he said uncertainly.

 

”Merlin forgive me, child!” exclaimed Severus.  ”You want to know…? Don’t you care that…?” Severus swallowed. ”I’m so sorry, Harry, I’m being egoistic… And you’re a wonder of forgiveness. I realise that with your family background and your uncertain future, I’m giving you hopes. I… You… most probably are James’ son - no one can deny that you look very much alike and… I’m sorry, I only wanted to explain to you why I’m acting so weird around you and… I didn’t think that you would seriously be interested in… exploring the possibility of my being your… your… Not after what you said to me subsequent to that quidditch incident. I’m not a good person, Harry - I would not be a good parent. I’m trying my best to atone for my sins, but I still have a long way to go. At any rate, even if… In the unlikely case that you were my son, biologically… and that we actually would want to try to… form a… a… er… family… Which is more than I can conceive of, in all honesty… I’m afraid that the Ministry would deny me the custody all the same, because… another thing that only Albus is fully aware of… I’m still on probation… two and a half years left… So until then, there is no purpose of doing a test. The chance is very slim, you know.” Severus spoke softly. 

 

”I understand.” Harry tried to sound indifferent, but the twisting hands in his lap betrayed his agitation. 

 

”I’m so sorry if I fail you… again…” whispered Severus. ”I want to try to make it up to you. I have made some plans that I’m ready to carry out, if only you approve of them. Let me tell you… It’s the best I can do…” Severus leant forward and started to explain in honest.

 

***

 

When they finally entered the Burrow, Snape and Harry found the Weasley family gathered around the kitchen table for evening tea. There were already two additional cups set waiting for them. Molly Weasley greeted Snape gracefully and smiled at Harry.

 

”How was your evening? You must tell us everything. Such a treat to be taken to a Muggle circus. I believe that Arthur was the most envious of us this time.”

 

”Mrs Weasley! M-Molly… and… and Arthur,” stuttered Harry, because his foster parents had asked him to call them by their first names and it still felt unaccustomed to do so. ”You know what?” Harry was excited. ”Severus is moving here… to the village, I mean… to Ottery St Catchpole… He’s going to live here. Isn’t that brilliant?” The entire Weasley family including Ron stared at Harry dumbfounded. ”I mean,” said Harry, attempting to dampen his enthusiasm somewhat, ”like that I can go to his place for the tutoring sessions and he will be at hand and… He has made certain that I’m not going back to the Dursleys. He already spoke to Professor Dumbledore about it…”

 

Snape cleared his throat. 

 

”That’s right - I spoke to Albus today since I wanted to make sure after Mr Dursley’s visit yesterday that there was no chance they could take Harry back. It turns out that the legal arrangement with the Ministry that has been a bit unclear until now because of the financial situation, is that Albus himself will be Harry’s guardian, but only on paper, because you, naturally, will be the foster family where Harry lives and thrives. Harry will not go back to the Dursleys in the future, so much is sure. Albus has charged me, however, with the task of managing all practical matters that might arise around Harry, which includes expenses, educational matters and - who knows what the future will reserve in terms of threats and ordeals - of security. In relation to the whole picture, my part will be a small, insignificant one. I’m only Albus’ humble servant after all, but the arrangement is to my liking as I have taken upon myself, for Harry’s sake and for his mother’s, who was a friend a long time ago…” 

 

Mr Weasley nodded knowingly as if Snape confirmed something he had long suspected, and Snape continued: 

 

”…I have taken upon myself to tutor Harry in all magical subjects as long as he agrees to it himself. We all know that that might end sooner than it started, but…” 

 

Several Weasleys twitched their lips into smiles.

 

”…but I will endeavour to check my… temper… when performing the task and… I do apologise for the incident the other week.” Snape inclined his head stiffly in Bill’s direction who made a disarming gesture.

 

”Don’t mention it, Severus. I was at fault as well. There are no hard feelings.”

 

Snape nodded gravely in response and continued.

 

”Because I declared my intention to move to the village, Albus thought it appropriate that I should assist him in those matters regarding Harry. He was going to appoint Minerva for the task otherwise, but since I would be living nearby, it was much more practical that I should help out.”

 

”But, Severus, are you really moving here? You were going to restore your house at Spinner’s End, wasn’t that your intention?” asked Molly Weasley.

 

”Restore it only in order to sell it to a better price,” answered Snape swiftly. ”That was the plan all along. I prefer to live in the countryside and so when I got the opportunity to explore this part of the country, I liked what I found and when an opportunity presented itself… The cottage next to the Fanfares is for sale, you know, and I have already put in an offer. It has been a busy day. If I’m lucky we’re going to sign the contract in only a few days.”

 

”Will you keep a boat in Lake Kennicky?” Fred and George asked jointly, earning a stern look from their father. 

 

”I most probably will,” answered Snape.

 

”You’re going to be our neighbour, Professor,” the twins continued without scruples. ”We will be honoured to show you around. We know the forests, where the rare plants grow…”

 

”Hmm… Valuable information indeed. That might earn you the possibility to borrow said boat.” Snape arched an eyebrow and the twins clamped their mouths shut to not betray their exhilaration in front of their parents. 

 

”So that was your plan all along, Severus? To get rid of your house at Spinner’s End?” repeated Mr Weasley, still a trace of incredulity in his voice.

 

”Certainly,” said Snape and met Harry’s eyes briefly.

 

Harry’s cheeks were flushed from the agitation during the long talk earlier. He met Severus’ gaze and an understanding passed between them. Severus did not speak the strict truth, but that was a secret that Harry and Severus would keep between themselves. Given the circumstances, Harry understood that the arrangement was as good as it could possibly get. And no matter what Severus said, no matter the uncertainties - because reason had no place in this - Harry, as the child he still was, had instinctually made up his mind: He had one secret that he would keep entirely to himself - no one would know - and that was that from this moment on, Harry Potter considered Severus Snape his secret father.

The End.
End Notes:
I’d like to thank everyone who has read this story from start to end. I’d be thrilled if you left me a concluding remark - good and/or bad :-)

To forestall some objections as to the indecisive ending, I have to stress that Snape does indeed belong to the lower strata of wizard society because of his collaboration with Voldemort and that he has very little free room and depends entirely on Dumbledore. This is the best Harry and he can hope for at this stage. I realise that it might be slightly disappointing not to find out whether Snape is in fact Harry’s biological father or not, but firstly I want to say that it is not the biology that is of the greatest importance, but the quality of the relationship, and secondly I have this idea for a sequel… ;-) Maybe for the next summer fic fest…?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3250