From Always to Forever by Lady Lanera
Summary: Still dealing with the events from Kinship, Harry and Severus pick up the pieces that had been left behind. However, is there an even sinister plot afoot for them this year?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Tragedy
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 89605 Read: 59784 Published: 14 Sep 2015 Updated: 22 Dec 2016
Dementors in the Closet by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Kind of an Aurora-centric chapter, but it has to be for the ending to work. :) Enjoy.

She hated the hospital wing. Absolutely hated it. She hated the stone walls. Even though, the walls were the same as the ones throughout the entire castle, including Severus's rooms. She hated the gorgeous windows on either side of the room that always gave off the appearance the hospital wing was a good, cheery place. She hated all of it. In her mind, it was worse than Azkaban.

"Scowling at the walls won't make time go any faster for you, dear," Madam Pomfrey cheerfully chided from across the room with her back to Aurora. The matron was tending to a first-year, it seemed, who had broken her arm. "So, do us a favor and rest."

Aurora's scowl deepened. As if she was ever going to comply with that request. She was not some second year convinced the matron would spell her asleep if she didn't do as she was told.

Pomfrey sighed in return. "Why must you always be so difficult, Aurora?" She shook her head as she continued healing the injured first year.

"Because I'm a Slytherin, Madam, and we live to annoy the hell out of people like you."

"Oh, Merlin above," the matron groaned with another shake of her head. Before either witch could say another word, though, the door to the hospital wing swung open. "Wonderful. Perhaps you can talk some sense into her today, Mister Potter."

The young Gryffindor gave a soft laugh as he quickly walked across the room towards Aurora's bedside with a new bunch of flowers in his hands.

"Fat chance of that, seeing as how he's more likely here to help break me out from this horrid place," Aurora replied half-jokingly.

"Shh, Mum," Harry playfully said. "You're not supposed to give away our plans."

"Oh, why do I even bother?" Pomfrey huffed, throwing her hands up in the air. "You're free to go, Miss Nottingham."

Aurora watched the young first year happily run off a moment later. Lucky girl. She turned back to Harry then.

"You're early today." By quite some hours actually, if she recalled correctly. But then again, the passage of time whenever one was in the hospital wing was always so screwed up.

Harry shrugged in response, turning from her slightly to add the fresh flowers he had with him to her vase. "Professor Sprout cancelled class today."

Aurora's eyes narrowed instantly. Pomona cancelling class? It wasn't necessarily unheard of, but it was a very rare occurrence.

"So, I thought I'd come early today," Harry explained with another shrug before he hesitantly met her eyes.

There was so much of Severus in the boy's eyes. Everyone else saw Lily, but not Aurora. She could see the hidden hurt and pain both Severus and Harry hid from the rest of the world. It was there if only people opened up their damn eyes and saw it.

Pushing herself up somewhat to sit up further against her pillows, she sighed softly before she crossed her arms once more. "Ron's being a prat again, isn't he?" She didn't need Harry to answer to know that she was right. Harry loved more fiercely than Severus did, it seemed. "Well, screw him then, I say. You don't need his kind of negativity in your life." The moment the words left her mouth she saw the intense look of pain flash behind the boy's eyes again. "I know, love. He was your first friend here, your best friend, but best friends don't hurt each other like that."

"He doesn't mean it, though," Harry argued weakly as if deep down he knew she was right.

"Words said out of anger is one thing, but it seems to me that Ron's doing all this now to deliberately provoke you, to hurt you, Harry."

"But Dad called Lily a—"

Aurora's hand shot up instantly to cut him off. "You're referring to one moment said out of extreme emotional distress, Harry. One moment that your father deeply regrets. Do you honestly believe Ron regrets anything he's done to you so far? Based on his actions towards you lately?"

She could see the young boy trying to convince himself that she was wrong but couldn't do it. Eventually, he sighed, his head hanging sadly.

"He's a prat," Harry mumbled.

"You won't get any arguments from me, love."

He glanced at her with a frown. "Then I should knock him flat on his arse?"

"Well, not exactly like that, as I can't condone violence being a professor here, but defend yourself, certainly, Harry." And if he did manage to knock the redhead on his backside, she'd admit that she and Severus would likely reward the boy later behind closed doors. Not that Ron was a bad kid necessarily, just . . . he was hurting their boy, dammit.

"Thanks, Mum."

She nodded slightly before she gave Harry a quick look over. There was something besides Ron that was bothering him. He seemed almost nervous, as if there was something he wanted to ask but couldn't for some reason. After the silence droned on for a few more minutes, she finally gave up.

"All right, love. Go ahead and ask your question." She caught Harry's arm jerk minutely as he seemed genuinely surprised. "Sorry, love, but you haven't managed to mask your emotions quite as well as your father has. Now, ask away."

Harry sighed heavily before he sat in the chair across from her.

"Sweetheart, what is it?"

"Do you know why Dad doesn't like Professor Lupin?"

"Remus?" she repeated, blinking.

"Yeah, I guess that's his name." Harry shrugged, clearly not having cared that much about the man. "I mean, is it because of the whole 'He's the new Defense professor' thing?"

Aurora had snorted before she caught Harry's eyes narrowing on her. "I'm sorry, love. That just makes your father sound jealous." Jealous of Remus Lupin of all things . . .

"Well, if it's not that, then what is it?"

She shrugged, thinking of the most diplomatic way of putting it. "You remember your father telling you that he and James never got along?"

"Yeah, because Lily."

"Well, James was friends with Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and—um—I don't remember what the other boy's name was actually." In fact, she couldn't even remember what that boy looked like. "Either way, James and Sirius were practically inseparable. Remus, however, was what I consider to be their conscience sometimes. He'd get them to stop when he'd think they went too far."

"So, what, he wouldn't stop them when they were attacking Dad?"

Aurora winced slightly. "I wouldn't say that. Remus tried. He just didn't do as much as he should have because they were his friends."

"Then, Dad hates him because he reminds him of all the times James used to attack him?"

A memory that she knew wasn't hers then flashed behind her eyes of a darkened room with terrible noises filling the air around her in the corridor. She moaned softly, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. She could feel the waves of fear flood her body. Severus had been scared for some reason. However, just as she was about to see into the room and see what was making such a terrible noise, something yanked her back to the real world.

"Mum? Are you all right?"

Harry was staring at her strangely. She forced a faint smile to her lips, though.

"I'm fine. Just tired. That's all," she replied, hoping he'd believe her. There were so many memories now in her mind that weren't her own. It was confusing to say the least.

"I should let you rest. I'm sorry."

"No, love. It's all right." She gently rested a hand against his forearm and gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm glad you came." She waited patiently for him to accept her words before she removed her hand. She wanted nothing more than to hold her poor boy and take away all of his pain and hurt he had over the years. But she knew she couldn't fix the deep wounds left behind. She barely could fix her own.

He nodded somewhat a moment later before he gave her a brief hug.

"I love you, Mum."

Aurora closed her eyes at the twinge of guilt deep inside those words invoked in her.

"I love you, Harry," she murmured before she pulled back. "Now, go. Before Poppy decides to imprison you in here with me." She smiled when she heard his quiet laugh prior to his leaving.


Every night had been the same since she ended up in the hospital wing. Harry would visit followed by Severus. She knew the pattern wouldn't deviate. Not after a week of it. However, she'd admit that throughout the last hour of visiting hours, she was starting to get a little worried that Severus wouldn't show up at all tonight.

"All right, dear. You know the rules," Pomfrey drawled as she stood at the foot of Aurora's cot.

Rules. As if Aurora was a first-year and needed someone to babysit her all the time.

"Professor, I am not above using my wand on you," Pomfrey warned when Aurora kept staring at the doors expectantly.

Where was he tonight? Severus had never missed seeing her.

"Miss Sinistra, do not make me repeat myself again. Go to sleep. Now."

Aurora's dark eyes darted towards the waiting matron. Days like this made her question why she had chosen to be a light witch.

"You can glare at me all you want, dear. You still won't see him. Not tonight at least."

"Why?" She knew she was being a petulant child for asking such a thing, but, damn it, where was he tonight?

"Visiting hours are over, and he knows this. So, rest. Time will go so much faster for you if you do." Pomfrey tapped her wand once against her hand in a semi-threating manner when Aurora started to refuse to comply.

Grudgingly, Aurora huffed before she flopped back down onto her cot. If only she had her magic back, then Pomfrey wouldn't be so bold with her. Or rather she likely would.

"Good night, Aurora."

With a flick of Pomfrey's wrist, the flames in the various lit candles around the room went out and plunged the room into the sudden black. A moment later, Pomfrey walked away to her office, the tip of her wand still lit. Aurora sighed silently and stared into the darkness. He hadn't come.

Closing her eyes, she ceased fighting and surrendered.

Several hours had passed before she felt the familiar presence nearby. He was out there in the darkness somewhere. She inhaled deeply, the rich earthly scent filling her nostrils. She couldn't keep the grin from crossing her lips.

"I apologize for my tardiness," Severus whispered as he stepped out of the shadows and into a little sliver of moonlight.

Forcing her grin back, she crossed her arms. "You better have a damn good excuse." She caught his usual hesitation instantly and felt a twinge of regret at her words. "Well?"

"It took longer to find a broom than I had anticipated," he replied awkwardly, holding onto the long broom with one hand. He seemed so nervous as he stood there waiting.

"Are you suggesting what I think you are?" She needed to hear him say it aloud because it was utterly ridiculous to even believe that he would even suggest it. Him, Mister Rules himself, breaking them for her.

"I thought you would enjoy a walk in Hogsmeade, enjoy a Butterbeer perhaps?"

Letting go of the charade, she slowly tossed off the covers and moved to stand in front of him. She could feel his nervous energy electrify the air around them.

"What about the Dementors?"

With no hesitation and a sudden strength in his words, he simply replied, "I will protect you."

And she knew deep in her heart that he would die trying to if it came to it.

"Pomfrey would know."

His eyes narrowed on her for a second before he stood a bit straighter. "In the words of a certain brat we both know, 'So what?"

The laugh burst from her instantly.

He held his free hand out to her then. "Will you accompany me to Hogsmeade to partake in the sickening ritual of drinks and a leisurely stroll under your godforsaken stars? Or are you too scared of Madam Pomfrey?"

"Who are you and what have you done with Professor Snape?"

The corner of his lip twitched ever so slightly. "Call me Severus, please. Now, woman, will you accompany me or not?"

"I will," she answered, closing her hand around his hand a moment later.

"Excellent." He then turned away from her and pulled his hand back.

"How are we going to get out of here, though?" With a soft click from a nearby window, she realized his plans. "Of course, what better way to start a date but to jump out of a window?"

He gave a soft snort with his back still turned from her. "One would think you don't trust me."

"You, I trust. That broom, not so much." Or brooms in general really.

He finally turned back to her, his eyes glittering slightly. In one swift motion, he swept her into his arms, mounting the broom with her. "You should really work on those trust issues, Sinistra," he drawled before they zoomed off into the night.

Neither one of them noticed the two healers who had been looking on in silence from across the room partially obscured by a half-closed curtain, and neither one of them heard the soft, "Good to know he really does listen in our sessions" followed by Pomfrey's "Oh, shut it, McCoy."


After enjoying a quick meal at the Three Broomsticks and the horrid (or rather horrid in Severus's mind) leisurely stroll through Hogsmeade, they snuck back into the hospital wing in the early morning hours. While it was debatable if it was quietly, they did manage to do it without Madam Pomfrey gracing them with her presence.

"Sleep well, Aurora," Severus murmured softly before he kissed her goodnight.

When he moved to pull back, she grabbed his arm. "Stay. Please?"

"I can't."

"Are we really that scared of Pomfrey?"

He gave a soft laugh and shook his head. "It's not her that I'm concerned about, Aurora."

Her eyes narrowed. If it wasn't Pomfrey, then whom? A face then flashed in her mind, giving her the answer. "Minerva? You're afraid of her?" She then caught his pained look and felt her smile dim. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean . . ."

"It's fine," he replied instantly, his eyes meeting hers.

"No. It's really not. You're used to all this privacy, and now I . . . I'm sorry. I'm trying to control—" His hand gently laid atop of hers.

"You do not need to control anything. I knew this would occur when I finished the link. I chose this, Aurora."

"No one would choose this, Severus. To share such intimate details—"

"Isn't that what love is?" he asked suddenly. "To share feelings, memories with no one but the person you truly care for, you trust with your life, your heart?" He waited for her to say something but she didn't. "I trust you with my secrets, Aurora, with my heart—what little of it there is."

"You don't understand. If you knew . . . I . . ."

"When you are ready, you will tell me," he stated firmly.

"But it'll be too late by then, Severus." She felt his confusion followed by intrigue. She needed to tell him. Before it was too late. Before he gave too much of himself to her.

"Why?"

"Because if I wait any longer, I'll hurt you worse than Lily ever had."

His eyes narrowed slightly on her. "Did you sleep with James Potter as well?"

"No. Circe no!"

"Did you use my feelings to create a child you believed would be special?"

"No."

"Did you turn back on me when I needed you the most? Did you give up on me, Aurora?" He sighed quietly when she didn't answer. "You didn't ever give up on me, and we both know this. So, whatever it is that you believe will hurt me will not hurt me as much as you think."

"Sirius . . ." she said shakily, feeling the guilt tighten inside her.

"What about Black?"

He needed to know. She knew it. She should've told him long ago.

"Did you share a bed with him?"

She could hear the disgust in his voice.

"No," she mouthed, feeling a weight lift off her shoulders but she knew it wasn't her relief she was feeling.

"Did you love him?"

"Absolutely not."

"Then what? What is so horrible that you think I would stop loving you because of?"

She stared at him through tears. He needed to know. He shared his darkness with her. She might as well share her own in return. And yet fear kept her in a vice of inaction.

"Aurora, answer me. What happened with Black?"

Her lips moved by no words were heard. He'd leave. It was a betrayal. Just as Lily had. Worse. James at least had grown up somewhat. But not Sirius.

"Aurora."

"She can't answer you, Severus," a third voice spoke before it was clear who it belonged to.

"Lupin," he snarled, his hand wrapping dangerously around his wand.

"No. No it's not yours to tell, Remus," Aurora snapped as she regained a little emotional control.

"It's not. You're right, but you haven't told him yet. He needs to know."

Severus had glanced between them both before his eyes fell on her once more. "What aren't you telling me?"

"Sirius—there's no reason for him to come after Harry, Severus."

"Because Lily changed godparents, I'm aware."

"He's not coming for Harry, Snape. If he comes here at all, it will be for Aurora."

"What?" He looked as if he had just swallowed a lemon drop. "Why on earth would Black be after Aurora?"

"Because he thinks I know what happened to Regulus."

"His brother?" Severus frowned.

"You remember that Aurora and Regulus were in the same year, correct?"

"Yes, Lupin. I'm not an idiot," he drawled with a scoff of disgust. "But why would he think you know what happened to Regulus? You weren't a Death Eater."

"No, but I was the last person to see Regulus before he disappeared."

"I see." Severus's frown deepened. "And why would this affect us?"

"Sirius will not stop until he finds out what happened to his brother. He believes that Aurora has those answers, Severus. There's no telling—"

"I would like to hear it from Aurora, Lupin," he growled, glaring at the other man.

"He's been in Azkaban for twelve years. With the others close by filling his head with lies. Lies the Dark Lord had them tell," she spoke softly. "I . . . last year I . . . he showed me what the others had told Sirius. But . . . he had misunderstood something that Leonidas had seen in my records."

"Severus, you have to understand—"

"Lupin, if you speak one more time without me speaking to you, I will rip out your vocal chords," Snape snarled, his eyes holding Aurora's. "What did he misunderstand?"

"He believes I was pregnant with Reg's child." She closed her eyes. "It hadn't clicked that night when he was there at St. Mungo's. Not until all the pieces fit." She sighed. "I had told Reg that I was pregnant that night he disappeared. Not because it was his, mind you, but because I didn't want to be alone and he was my friend. He knew—that is—how I came to be in, um, that way. He was angry, and he told me that he'd fix it so I wouldn't ever have to worry again. I didn't know what he was going to do. And he left."

"Black thinks you were pregnant with his brother's child, and that you had something to do with his disappearance?"

"Yes."

"You're ridiculous, Sinistra."

"Severus," Remus exclaimed.

He glared at the other man for half a moment before he turned his attention back onto Aurora. "You did not tell him that you were pregnant with his brother's child, nor did you have anything to do with Regulus's disappearance. The fact that Black believes any of this further proves what I've been saying all along about him and Potter."

"You don't understand."

"I understand a great deal more than you think I do," he replied bitterly. "If Black thinks that he can waltz in here and try to take you from me, then he is sorely mistaken."

"He doesn't want to hurt her, Severus."

Aurora felt the intense surge of anger flood her instantly. The moment Severus moved closer to Lupin, she placed a hand on his chest to stop him. So much anger and hatred were inside him, and all of it was directed onto Remus. It was suffocating.

"Enough," she said, forcing the air into her lungs. The air was stifling, though. No matter how hard she was trying to breathe, the air just refused to come. "Enou—" Her eyes closed, and she felt the surge of raw power return.

'Punish him,' a voice in her mind hissed. 'Show the wizard your strength. Make him never question you again.'

"Stop," she begged softly. The voice was getting stronger again. She had thought for certain that she had finally defeated it. She hadn't heard it since the day she had wound back in the hospital wing.

'Embrace your gifts. Do not allow them to hold you back any longer. Show them the true meaning of power.'

"Stop it. Please . . ."

'Surrender as you did before. Embrace who you are. You have fought so long. Let go.'

"Get. Out. Of. My. Head!" A scream then tore from her lips.

'Not even your wizard can save you from the gift your mother left for you. For our blood is one, my sweet Azrial. You will see.'

She grabbed Severus's arms, her terror-filled eyes meeting his.

"What did she do to me?"

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3258