A Different Start by mandancie
Summary: Harry discovers something strange in his Gringotts vault among his parents' belongings-a letter of apology from James to Snape. Harry decides he should deliver it. A challenge from Alexannah on Potions and Snitches.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Mean
Genres: Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Dear Snape, I'm Sorry
Challenges: Dear Snape, I'm Sorry
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 10145 Read: 9737 Published: 06 Nov 2015 Updated: 19 Jun 2020
Chapter 3 by mandancie

Severus stayed with Harry until the boy calmed down. Not once did Harry lift his head. Harry stayed where he was; leaning on Severus, looking down at the floor. A chill was starting to set in. He was coming alarmingly aware it was cold in the owlery. At first Harry didn’t register nippy air, but now that he’s calmed down some, he can feel it now.

With his head still leaning on the person with him, Harry started shivering. Not wanting to deal with a sick Potter, Severus reluctantly shrugged his cloak from his shoulders and wrapped it around Harry’s shoulders. Severus tried to ignore how slight and bony the boy’s shoulders were.

Severus stepped back and noticed that Harry still had a hold to his clothes. Severus sighed as he reached for the boy’s hands and tried to remove them. The Potions Master heard a small whine as he removed the fingers, but the boy didn’t resist. Once Severus was free, he slightly pushed Harry towards the entrance of the owlery.

“Accio invisibility cloak,” Severus murmured.

It seemed like nothing was moving until Severus felt something soft cling to his hand. The two wizards walked in silence back to the Gryffindor’s common room. When they got to the portrait of the Fat Lady, Severus waved his hand opening the portrait.

“To bed with you, Potter,” Severus sneered or at least tried to.

Harry didn’t react to it.

“Don’t come out of this portrait until breakfast tomorrow,” Snape ordered.

Harry said nothing. He shrugged the cloak from his shoulders reaching it out towards Severus. The boy started to climb in the entrance and mumbled something. It sounded like “thank you,” but Severus couldn’t be sure. Severus stood at the now closed portrait and realized that Potter didn’t take his father’s invisibility cloak.

Realizing that it was late, and he had an early day tomorrow, Severus went down to his chambers. He made it up in his mind that he would talk with the boy tomorrow.

___000___000___000

The next morning, Ron woke up with a small crick in his neck. He stretched his head around in circles and walked over to Harry’s bed to see if he was awake. Noting that the bed was empty, Ron figured that Harry was in the common room.

After taking a shower and getting dressed, Ron went to the common room and saw that Harry was indeed there and was sitting by the fireplace.

“Oi, Harry,” Ron called out.

“‘morning, Ron,” Harry mumbled.

“You okay?” Ron asked, sitting next to his friend.

Harry didn’t reply. He just shrugged.

“Well, come on,” Ron said. “Go get ready. Breakfast is about to be served.”

“Go on ahead,” Harry said. “I’ll be down later.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “I’ll see you later.”

Ron looked at his friend for a moment and then got up and walked out of the tower. Harry just sat on the sofa staring at the fire. He sighed and leaned further into the side of the furniture.

Harry thought about his late-night run. Honestly, he didn’t realize anyone was in the corridor when he ran to the owlery. The only thing that was on Harry’s mind at the time was getting to the open. The walls felt like it was closing in on him. The feeling of loss and rejection was weighing heavy on the boy. It felt like he was back in the cupboard under the stairs though it had been years since he was there. The loss of Sirius was just the event that took things over the edge. His relatives’ treatment was angering him to the point that if he didn’t leave, he would be arrested for underage magic. The accusation he got in his second year would not compare what he was feeling now. So, he left before it went from bad to worst.

Harry felt someone pull him from the window, even though he wasn’t going to jump. That small gesture gave him a tiny ounce of hope that someone in the world cared. The hand that stayed on his head was so comforting. It grounded him making the spinning, suffocating world, just that more bearable. When Harry calmed down, he noticed that it wasn’t the best idea to leave the tower without his robe or shoes. He didn’t want to lift his head to see who was there, but if he didn’t leave the tower, he was going to be sorry the next day.

When he felt the warm cloak, Harry knew instantly who was there. He didn’t know what he felt first: embarrassment or sadness or both. Why would it be him being the one that was here? The cloak still had the man’s warmth in it, so it felt good against the cool weather around them.

Harry felt embarrassed holding on the his godf…professor like a little child. But it was the only thing that was grounding him. When he felt him prying his hands off him, Harry didn’t resist.

Harry didn’t want to look at Snape. He didn’t want to see the usual contempt that Snape had on his face every time they saw each other. So kept his head down on their walk back to the Tower. But Harry was surprised that Snape didn’t say anything on the walk back. He even heard the Professor call his invisibility cloak to him. When they got back to the portrait, Harry was just sure that Snape was going to give him an earful, but that as well didn’t happen. He just told him to stay in the tower and not come back out until breakfast. On top of that, it wasn’t even said in the sarcastic tone he usually talks to Harry.

Harry let out a sigh, leaning his head on the back of the chair.

___000___000___000

Severus had a long night. He planned on going to sleep once he got back to his chambers. That was not what happened. He was sitting on his high-back chair looking at the cloak laying on the sofa. There were so many questions that were plaguing his mind. Questions that wouldn’t stop so that he could get to bed.

It was two hours later when he forced himself to go to bed. He still had a full day of teaching students in a different subject.

The next morning, during breakfast, Severus kept to himself. He gave his customary greeting when he sat down, but that was it.

It was a little early so there weren’t many students in the Great Hall. Severus figured he would eat and then get to his class. There were a few things he needed to get together in the office behind the classroom.

When Severus was finished, the doors of the Great Hall opened, and more students walked in. The ones that he noted coming in was two of the Golden Trio. Severus looked down at the table. Why was this boy crowding his thoughts? He was up half the night worried about the boy and now not seeing him with his entourage had him worried. No, not worried, concerned. Severus sighed and got up and left.

___000___000___000

It had been a week since Harry’s run to the owlery. Everyday seemed like a blur to Harry. If he was asked, he would not know what was taught in each class. Hermione kept prompting Harry to pay attention, but her pleas were falling on deaf ears.

Ron and Hermione knew that there was something bothering Harry, but every time they would try to talk to Harry, he would give them either one-word answers or shrug.

Another week later during dinner, Harry sat at the Gryffindor’s table looking at his empty plate. Hermione and Ron gave Harry wary glances. Two-thirds of the trio weren’t the only one looking at Harry. Severus was sitting at the head table watching Harry. As much as Severus wanted to ignore his concerns he had about Harry, looking at the boy let him know it could not be dismissed.

After the Professor in black finished his food, he got up without another word to his colleagues. He went to his chambers calling his personal elf.

“Hows can Misty help?” the house-elf asked when she popped next to Severus.

Severus walked over to his desk and scribbled on a small piece of parchment.

“Give this to Potter.” Severus said, folding the paper and handing it to her.

“Yes, mas’er,” Missy said, bowing. She disappeared seconds later.

Severus walked over to his armchair and sat down. Usually, Severus would have a nightcap, but he waited for his visitor.  

A knock on the Potion Master’s door brought Severus out of his musing.

“Enter.”

The door opened revealing The Boy Who Lived.

“You wanted to see me, sir?” Harry said, standing in the doorway.

“Don’t stand in the doorway,” Severus said. “Come sit.”

Harry slowly walked into the sitting room. Severus held out his hand gesturing where Harry was to sit. Harry walked over to the sofa adjacent to the armchair.

For a long moment it was quiet in the room. The only sounds coming from the fireplace.

“Potter,” Severus said, breaking the silence. “Can you tell me what is going on with you?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders.

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose, taking a deep breath.

“A verbal response would be nice,” Severus said.

Harry looked at the professor. It surprised him that there wasn’t contempt in his voice.

“It’s nothing,” Harry said, softly.

“Look at me, Potter,” Severus said.

Harry lifted his head and saw that Severus was looking at him intently. Harry recoiled a little.

“When we saw each other in Diagon Alley,” Severus said, “you had a full plate of food. Now, you barely eat enough to feed a sparrow. You’re already too small. You cannot keep missing meals.”

Anger started to bubble up in Harry’s stomach. Once again, Harry felt like the walls were closing in on him. He couldn’t breathe. He was hurt. He was angry.

How dare he? Harry fumed.

“Why do your care?” Harry yelled.

There was a low rumble in the room. Severus looked around and saw that his possessions were vibrating. Looking at the boy on the sofa, Severus could see Harry’s magic pooling around him.

Severus pulled his wand out and shouted a spell. Water shot out of the end of his wand landing on Harry.

Harry, shocked at what happened, looked at Snape. The anger he was feeling instantly stopped. Everything looked distorted. Harry removed his glasses. He looked down at himself. He was completely drenched.

“Are you calm now?” Severus asked.

Harry could feel his throat burn with tears. He was tired of crying. Everything was just too much.

Severus waved his wand again, causing Harry’s clothes, sofa, and floor to dry instantly. He also cast a warming charm on Harry so that he wouldn’t get sick. The dungeon was usually colder than the rest of the castle.

Harry opened his mouth to say something, but Severus cut him off.

“I want you to calm down first. Whatever it is can wait until you have yourself together.”

Harry put his now dry glasses on his face and looked at his professor as if he had two heads. The entire time Harry had been here, not once did Snape say anything sarcastic. It was almost like he cared. But Harry knew that it couldn’t be true.

“All right, Potter,” Severus said after a moment of silence. “What were you about to tell me before your magic came off you in waves?”

“Why do you care?” Harry asked. His voice was barely above a whisper. “You told me basically you didn’t want to be my godfather. You want nothing to do with me.”

Harry tried to keep the tears from falling but a traitorous tear streamed down his cheek.

Severus decided not to bring attention to Harry crying, but more to what the boy said.

“I believe you are putting words in my mouth,” Severus said.

“What?” Harry asked.

“I never gave you an answer,” Severus said. “I just told you not to tell anyone.”

“So, you’re not rejecting me?” Harry asked, skeptically.

“I can’t,” Severus said, leaning back in his chair, turning to look at the fire.

“I don’t want to be a charity case,” Harry said, angrily. “I got enough of that…”

“I’m not saying that,” Severus said, cutting Harry off. “After what’s been happening these past weeks, I can’t just ignore you.”

Again, Harry’s anger dissipated.

“Something is bothering you,” Severus said. “Whatever it is, it’s bothering you. You’re not eating. I doubt that you’re sleeping.”

Harry wanted to argue that he was wrong, but the lie couldn’t pass his lips. Harry fell back against the back of the sofa as if he deflated. Who was he kidding? There was a lot bothering him.

“You reached out before,” Severus said. “I’m answering.”

“What do you mean?” Harry asked.

“I know you knew I was the one that was with you in the owlery that night.”

Harry lowered his head. His neck and cheeks heated with embarrassment.

“There’s nothing to be embarrassed about,” Severus said. “But when I about to escort you back to your tower, you gripped my jacket and didn’t want to let go. Even if you didn’t consciously do it, you need it.”

“When I said I wanted to ignore it,” Severus continued. “I wasn’t saying that I was going to desert you. I meant that things were going to be the same.”

“I don’t think I can take another year like that,” Harry said, dejectedly.

“Like what?” Severus asked.

“With you hating me,” Harry said.

Severus closed his eyes for a second then looked over at the boy sitting on the sofa.

“I regret the way I spoke to you at the beginning of term,” Severus said.

Harry shrugged. His eyes were getting heavy.

“It’s okay,” Harry slurred.

“Potter,” Severus said, sitting up.

“Is that all?” Harry asked, slowly sitting up on the sofa. “Got to get back.”

“Potter.”

Harry stood up. His knee buckled. Severus stood up and caught Harry before the boy face-planted on the floor.

“When was the last time you had a full night’s sleep?” Severus asked, looking down at the boy leaning against him.

Severus lowered the child back on the sofa and stretched him out. Severus removed Harry’s glasses. He went into his room grabbing an extra blanket and pillow. Coming back to the sitting room, Severus got Harry as comfortable as possible.

“What is bothering you, child?” Severus whispered, looking down at the sleeping boy.

Severus waved his hand, dimming the light in the room then headed for bed.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3277