Harry Potter and the Secret Promise by SaimheofAvalon
Summary: At the end of GoF, Harry is sent home for a very specific reason – it is time for the secrets of Harry’s past to end, for a new journey to begin and for old friendships to be tested, new friendships to be formed. And, as always, Dumbledore is right, only through friendship, trust and love will the treat of Voldemort be ended.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Original Character, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: No Word count: 124421 Read: 94737 Published: 02 Feb 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Greying Skies by SaimheofAvalon

Remus exhaled strongly as he extinguished the flame on Arabella’s gas stove. The last three days had been a respite, a blessing, for Remus after so many years spent isolated and alone. He had forgotten what it was like to spend your nights and days with friends, family. Three days spent talking over breakfasts, lunches and dinners, looking at photos, telling stories and spending time getting to know each other. He watched the haunted look in Sirius eyes start to fade and seen the dark circles under Arabella’s eyes diminish. Even Harry seemed to grow more comfortable and open with all of them, more willing to talk about the happenings of the past year. He had enjoyed the afternoons spent with Arabella in her kitchen, just talking, hearing her laugh at his stories or standing beside her and watching out the window at Harry trying to teach Sirius muggle football. The wisdom of Dumbledore’s decision seemed so clear in those moments

.

Which just indicated the gravity of the situation that would cause Dumbledore to recall them. Stepping back out onto the patio, he paused to watch his two best friends sitting together, looking over yet another photo album of Arabella’s. From his vantage point he could see the smile that spread across Sirius’ face before it faltered momentarily. Arabella reached out and stroked her hand against Sirius’ cheek and Remus could almost imagine the sad smile that graced her face. It had been directed at him enough these past few days, usually when he glanced at Harry and, for a moment, would forget he wasn’t James’ son only to remember again and feel again the loss of his last seeming connection to his friend. He knew it must be even harder for Sirius.

Sighing, Remus approached his friends, “I am afraid we will have to go, Sirius. Dumbledore needs to see us.”

He watched as a fleeting expression of regret flashed across Sirius’ face before being replaced by a determined look, a mask. Arabella reached up for her brother, enveloping him in a hug. “Take the picture,” she whispered. The picture in question showed a seven year-old Harry, a towel tied around his neck, running in perpetual circles with a broom between his legs. Remus smiled, seeing the boy’s face devoid of fear or the sadness he had grown used to seeing since meeting Harry again two years ago.

Separating from his sister, Sirius looked at the picture one last time before tucking it into the pocket of his shirt. Looking back up, he asked, “Will you share some of your memories with me, Bell? Show me what he was like sometime?”

His voice was serious and a bit sad, revealing how much it hurt Sirius to have missed so much of Harry’s life. Remus knew Arabella could use her gift to share a few memories, allowing Sirius to live them a bit through her. Just as he knew she would gladly do it. “Of course, Siri. You know I will.” She said, though the happiness in her voice sounded a bit forced. The genuine smile that spread across Sirius’ face seemed to chase away the gloom from Arabella’s expression.

“We should say good-bye to Harry first.” Sirius said as he rose.

"Go ahead," Remus said, "I'll be up in a minute."

Sirius nodded and walked back into the house. As the door shut behind him, Remus walked over to Bella and opened his arms to her. Arabella stepped forward into his embrace with no hesitation. For the moment he just held her; wanting nothing more than to reassure her that everything would be okay.

After a few moments, Arabella stepped back slightly, her arm to dropped to his waist and rested her head on his shoulder. Together they walked back into her home in silence. As they climbed the stairs, Remus' keen ears picked up the sound of Sirius knocking softly on Harry’s bedroom door. From the landing Remus saw him pushing it open and stand in the doorway.

“Harry?” Sirius asked softly. “We’re going to have to leave a bit early. Dumbledore need us for something.” he said.

"Do you have to?" When he heard the lost and sad tone in Harry’s voice, Remus felt his own unhappiness grow.

As Remus approached Harry's door, he felt Bella's arm slip from his waist. Glancing back questioningly at Arabella, he realized she was hanging back to allowing Sirius and him time alone with Harry. He felt a pang of regret when he saw how she wrapped her arms around herself. It was a sure sign of her emotional distress at their departure. He smiled at her reassuringly before stepping into Harry's room.

Harry glanced over at him as soon as he entered the room. Setting aside an album, he rose from his place on the bed and walked over to stand in front of Remus. Awkwardly, Harry hugged him. “Take care, Remus. Please try to keep Sirius out of too much trouble.”

Remus returned the hug before stepping back. “Always, Harry. Be careful and mind Bella. I'll see you soon.” He replied before turning to Sirius, “I’ll wait for you outside.”

Sirius nodded and Remus exited the room. He waited just on the other side of the threshold. Arabella was nowhere in sight.

Remus’ attention was drawn back to the two people in the room behind him when he heard Sirius ask Harry quietly. “You okay?"

“Don’t know,” Harry replied honestly. Even Remus could make out the sadness and confusion that layered the two words. Closing his eyes, he leaned back against the wall, his heart aching for the boy who had come to mean quite a bit to him.

“You know, I never liked him,” Sirius started. His tone was a bit sad and resigned, but not hateful or bitter. “But Bella loves him. And I was there when the spells were cast, and I would have to have been deaf, dumb and blind to not see that he loved you.” Sirius paused and Remus could make out the sounds of him crossing the room and taking a seat on the bed. “James loved you, too. Unconditionally. No one’s expecting you to forget James, Harry, or to have a perfect father/son relationship with Snape from the start. I can’t believe I am saying this, but give the git a chance. He might surprise you.”

There was silence for a minute before Harry spoke, “Will you do something for me? Will you give this to Professor Snape?”

“Sure, Harry.” Sirius replied, “Remus is waiting. We should be going.” He continued hesitantly.

Remus heard movement and the distinct sound of someone being patted on the back.

“Be careful, Sirius, please. I don’t want to lose you. I don’t think Bella would be too happy if something happened to you or Remus, either.”

“Same to you, Harry-bean,” Sirius said causing Harry to groan and Remus to chuckle.

The door opened and Remus fell in behind Sirius as they walked down the stairs. At the bottom, Arabella stood waiting for them, two bags full of clothes in her hands. Remus chuckled despite himself.

“Promise me you will both be very careful. Don’t make me come after you!” Her expression, the twinkling in her eyes, the joking lilt of her voice all indicated she was teasing, but the slight shaking of her hands told Remus how much it was costing her.

Sirius stepped forward first, embracing his twin tightly. “You do the same, Bella, and we’ll see you soon." Sirius hesitantly stepped away and Remus moved in to hug Arabella good-bye. Within a few minutes, Sirius and Remus were on their way outside of the wards a safe distance to activate their portkey, taking them directly to Hogwarts.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=328