Harry Potter and the Secret Promise by SaimheofAvalon
Summary: At the end of GoF, Harry is sent home for a very specific reason – it is time for the secrets of Harry’s past to end, for a new journey to begin and for old friendships to be tested, new friendships to be formed. And, as always, Dumbledore is right, only through friendship, trust and love will the treat of Voldemort be ended.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Original Character, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: No Word count: 124421 Read: 95527 Published: 02 Feb 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Wing and a Prayer by SaimheofAvalon

Oh God, Harry!

It was the dominant thought in Arabella's mind as she raced down the deserted halls of Hogwarts. She could feel the increased pounding of her heart as the panic-induced adrenaline flooded her system and was grateful for the boost of energy and power that accompanied it. All she could think of was what Harry was enduring; first the dementors and the horrors she knew he relived each time he was near the disgusting creatures followed by being taken forcibly by the Ministry. It just wasn't fair that Harry should be endure yet another traumatic event.

She had known something was going to happen, it was why she'd disagreed with Dumbledore's assessment that it would be safe for Harry in Hogsmeade. She hadn't been able to shake the feeling that something else was just lurking around the corner. The fact that the Ministry, and thus Fudge, had been involved terrified her. She knew Fudge, the git that he was, wouldn't waste an opportunity to discredit Harry. She'd scene the papers, heard his comment. In fifteen years, he hadn't changed at all. She refused, refused, to allow him to do to Harry what he had done to her and Sirius. She was determined to protect her godson, she just wasn't quite sure how at the moment. She just knew she had to get him away from the Ministry, and fast.

She cursed as she neared the center of the castle and the main stairways only to see the one nearest her begin to shift away. Reaching the next staircase, she dashed down the stairs, not paying attention to anything or anyone she might pass. All her attention was focused on getting to a safe apparition distance and getting Harry the help she knew he would need. As she rounded the corner of the final landing before reaching the entrance hall, she paused. The large double doors were opening, allowing a man in billowing, black robes to enter. She could feel the anger and frustration emanated off the man like a great wave, even from distance.

"Severus," she called as she slowly descended the final steps and made her way toward him. She wanted to throw herself into the safety of his embrace and regretted the gulf that time had placed between them. Fifteen years ago, she wouldn't have hesitated. "What's happened? Why aren't you at the Ministry with Harry?" She tried to keep the panic from filling her voice as she drew near him. Closer to him now, she could see the tension in his stance; he was a coiled snake, poised to strike.

"Fudge." He said the name in a harsh bitter tone, his face twisted in a dark sneer. "He has called an emergency tribunal to determine if Harry should be expelled and to determine the possibility of filing additional charges."

Arabella took an instinctive step back from him, her breath catching in her throat as her eyes blurred with angry tears. While the news wasn't totally unexpected, the waves of anxiety drifting off her husband combined with her own anger and worry were nearly overwhelming her. For a brief instant, she wished for Sev's ability to retain so much composure under the circumstances; she could feel her body beginning to tremble. He looked at her directly in the eyes and she watched the walls begin to fall and all the emotion he felt to show in his eyes. A sudden image of Harry's face, his expression a little apprehensive, popped in to her head and she heard his words from earlier echo in her mind, ÔI wouldn't be able to be Harry Potter anymore, though, would I? Not unless you stop acting as a spy.' She blinked in shock at the memory before a small smile curled her lips as an idea, a plan, formed in her head.

"It's going to be alright, Sev. I know what to do."

"And just what would that be?" He snapped, the tension and fear creeping into his voice making it sound harsh.

"I'm going to convince Petunia Dursley to remove Harry from the Wizarding World."

"And what good would that do us?"

"It would get Harry out from under the Ministry. Once he's safe, you can accept him back into your family and we can reintroduce him as our son." She watched as Severus' eyebrow climbed slightly. She reached out, weaving her fingers through his and tried to send him some assurance. "I know that wonderful Slytherin mind of yours can figure out how to make it work," she pleaded with him. Every instinct told her this was the course to take, that this was what she needed to do.

Slowly, Severus nodded his assent and she felt her body release the breath she'd been holding. Stepping forward, she brushed a loose strand of hair out of his face before wrapping her arms around his neck. Her body relaxed momentarily against him as his hands snaked around her waist and held her firmly in place. "We've got to go. Meet me in the alley across the street from the Leaky Cauldron. That is where I will bring Petunia. I will explain what I can to her, but be prepared to make sure she knows what she will need to do." She said then pulled away enough to look into his face. "Alright?"

He nodded and separated from her enough to allow them to quickly walk a safe distance from the castle to apparate. When they reached the spot, she turned toward her husband and whispered, "I love you," before she faded and reappeared just down the street from her old house and Number Four Privet Drive. Losing no time, she cast a glamour on herself to make her appear as she had for the last fifteen years before rushing down the street and up the walkway to the Dursley's front door. Adrenaline was humming through her veins and she tried to calm herself. Anger at Fudge and his cronies, and the damned Dementors who caused this mess coupled with her fear for Harry were not the best allies in getting Petunia Dursley to help her. The door swung open suddenly and Arabella had to concentrate to keep the small smile and friendly expression on her face at the odd mixture of emotions trailing across Petunia's face. In the fourteen years she had known the woman, she could never figure out how she could love Harry enough to take him in and protect him and yet hate who he was and treat him so horribly.

"Hello Petunia. May I come in?"

"Where is Harry?" the woman demanded as she stepped aside to allow Arabella to enter the spotless home. "We came home last week and there was no sign of you, just a note from Harry saying there was some kind of emergency."

Arabella was surprised to hear of the note as they had not actually had time to leave one. She would have to remind herself to thank Dumbledore for taking care of that small detail. "He's safe, Petunia," she said, "for now. I am surprised by your concern, though. It would have been nice if you shown some of it to Harry over the years."

Arabella watched as the woman bristled, her back straightening and her head tilting up haughtily. "Is there a reason you came, Mrs. Figg, without my nephew? I assume you are planning on returning him to me?"

"No, actually, I'm not. I am here because Harry needs help and I would like to take custody of Harry. You see, according to wizarding law, at the age of fifteen a minor can choose whom he wishes to be his custodian or guardian. If the chosen guardian and the former guardian agree, an oath can be performed in front of witnesses to transfer custody. It's a very old tradition, but still quite legal and binding."

"Why would you want him?" Petunia asked, her eyes narrowing warily.

"I want him, Petunia, because he is my godson and I love him." Arabella replied with a smile. Pulling out her wand, she whispered, "Finite Incantatum."

Petunia stumbled backwards in shock and alarm as the chubby old woman with grey hair before her suddenly became a younger, taller, svelte woman with long, black hair. The simple dress the old woman had been wearing became indigo blue tailored robes with a lighter blue under-dress.

"YouÉ You're one of them!" Petunia stuttered.

Her seeming fear would have caused Arabella to chuckle if not for the fear for Harry that was eating away at her. She remained motionless for a short time, allowing the startled woman time to compose herself. It took a few moments for Petunia to realize that she wasn't about to be attacked and finally, she straightened her posture and stepped forward again.

"You said Harry needed help? Just how do expect me to help him? You're the wonderful and powerful witch, why don't you help him?" Petunia sneered.

Arabella titled her head to the side and quietly studied the woman for a moment. She could see she was agitated and a bit scared, but underneath it she could make out some concern. "Harry was attacked by a group of Dementors, they are Dark Creatures that literally suck the happiness out of you. The problem is that the Ministry of Magic doesn't believe Harry's story. The Minister seems to think that Harry is a bit deranged and dangerous and they are currently holding a hearing to decide whether or not to expel him from school. If they are successful, they will undoubtedly try Harry for the murder of classmate who was in actuality killed by Voldemort; the man who, incidentally, killed your sister." Arabella paused to give Petunia the chance to absorb what she said. "Regardless of what that hulk you call a husband says, you know Harry is neither deranged nor dangerous. And you know he is not capable of murder in cold blood."

Petunia was silent. She stood there, seemingly shocked by what Arabella told her. Finally, she spoke, "I still don't see how I can help him."

"Speak for him." Arabella said simply. "At a juvenile hearing of this type, parents and guardians are given the opportunity to speak for their child. It is generally used to plead leniency. However, I wish you to repudiate the court's and the Ministry's claim on Harry. As a Muggle, it is your right to determine if a minor in your custody will have access to the Wizarding World. Essentially, you will dismiss all claims the wizarding world has on Harry and remove him from Hogwarts. They will not be able to stop you from walking out of the courthouse with him; as a matter of fact, they will be obligated to transport you both home."

"I still don't see why you can't just go in my place. You obviously could disguise yourself as me."

Arabella sighed in frustration then said, "Petunia, these people are not that stupid! The first thing they will do is verify you are who you say you are! Now, we are wasting time, will you help Harry or not?"

"Alright. But if they ask me why I am pulling Harry out now, what do I say?"

"Simple. Tell them you never wanted Harry to attend Hogwart's. Tell them that the magical world got your sister killed and you refuse to allow the same to happen to Harry. Tell them you know all about what's happened over the last four years and that you will not tolerate the treatment your nephew has received."

"Treatment? I don't understand." Petunia asked, obviously confused.

"I'll explain later but I need to get you to Severus first. He is one of Harry's professors and will take you to court." She said as she gestured toward the door. "We need to leave, Petunia."

Petunia nodded and grabbed her purse on the way out the front door. They walked up the street and stopped at the corner, where Arabella stopped and looked around. The street was empty, but Arabella silently cast a notice-me-not spell and took Petunia's hand. Arabella smiled, feeling a bit more confident that everything would work out as Privet Drive faded and was replaced by the shadowed and dank atmosphere of a London alleyway.

"WhÉ where are we?" Petunia whimpered.

"London," came a sharp reply from behind them. Petunia started suddenly, jumping closer to Arabella, cowering at her side as they turned to face the voice. Shaking her head slightly and rolling her eyes, Arabella made the introductions.

"Petunia, I would like you to meet Professor Severus Snape, Potions Master at Hogwarts. Sev, this is Petunia Dursley, Harry's aunt."

"This is Lily's sister?" he asked, his surprise evident in his eyes as he examined the tall, skinny, horse-faced woman.

"You knew my sister?" Petunia asked, a bit hesitantly.

"Yes," he replied briskly before turning his attention to Arabella. "Does she know what to do?"

"The basics, yes," Bella replied to Severus before turning back to Petunia. "Just remember Ð YOU are removing him from the Wizarding World. Don't let them intimidate you. Demand counsel Ð ask for Headmaster Dumbledore, Remus Lupin or Mr. or Mrs. Weasley. As a muggle, it is your right. Don't let them break Harry's wand!"

Petunia looked between the two of them. "I just walk in there and demand they release Harry into my custody and turn over his wand immediately. These people you mentioned, will they be there already?"

"Yes. Remus and the Headmaster should be there. The Weasleys will likely be there as well. Just ask one of them to accompany you into the room."

"We are wasting time," Severus cut in abruptly.

Arabella nodded to him, trying to force a smile. "Okay. Petunia, I will wait for you and Harry at your house. Good luck," she said. Petunia turned from her to face Severus and hesitantly started to follow him out of the alley. "Petunia," she called suddenly and ran after them. When she reached them, she looked the other woman in the eyes. "Thank you for doing this."

Lily's sister smiled weakly at her and nodded. Taking a step back, she watched as Severus and Petunia Dursley disappeared across the street. Closing her eyes, she sent a silent prayer that everything would work out and that Harry would ultimately forgive her for what she was setting in motion. Letting out a slow breath, she concentrated until she the sight of London's street fade away.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=328