Harry Potter and the Secret Promise by SaimheofAvalon
Summary: At the end of GoF, Harry is sent home for a very specific reason – it is time for the secrets of Harry’s past to end, for a new journey to begin and for old friendships to be tested, new friendships to be formed. And, as always, Dumbledore is right, only through friendship, trust and love will the treat of Voldemort be ended.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Original Character, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: No Word count: 124421 Read: 95442 Published: 02 Feb 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Harry's Unlikely Heroine by SaimheofAvalon

Harry stood, for all intents and purposes, alone in front of the panel of judges, systematically breathing in and out and keeping his eyes focused straight ahead. He couldn't believe this was happening. One minute, he and his friends were being attacked by Dementors; the next, he was being hauled in front of an emergency tribunal. There were the seven people, all wearing stern expressions, seated directly in front of him along the raised, curved dais on ornate carved chairs. Each judge wore dress robes of a deep purple with an ornamental collar of gold and silver containing seven panels. Four of the panels were the crests of the four houses of Hogwart's. The bottom two appeared to contain two clashing stags and a quarter moon and staff, respectively. They looked familiar but Harry had no clue what they symbolized.

His court appointed advocate stood beside him. He was a short, balding man with gentle but pitying eyes. He had already argued that Harry was merely defending himself but the presentation had lacked luster, with little or no conviction. The Ministry's Advocate strode the length of the room as he addressed the judges, each time he passing in front of the podium where Harry's wand rested. He was protesting the calling of his friends as witnesses on the grounds that they were facing similar inquisitions. The judges' agreement only half registered on Harry. Ron, Fred and George's testimony would have proved his story true and the judges had just deemed it inadmissible. Remus, who was also present, had not even been permitted to testify based on some new law concerning non-humans. The whole thing made Harry sick and fearing the worst, he bit his lip and stared straight ahead, keeping his back straight and his head held high. He wasn't going to let them see just how frightened he truly was.

It didn't take long for the Ministry Advocate to launch into a twisted version of the so-called "evidence" of Harry's instability. With each new allegation tossed at court, the achy, panicked feeling in his chest grew and the harder it was to stand there and listen. He desperately wished someone could be in here with him, even if it was only to stand beside him. He wanted Arabella or Sirius, but he would settle even for his father.

There was a loud bang as the doors to the chamber were forced open followed by the angry clicking of high heels on the stone floor. Tempted as he was to turn and see who had entered, but the fear that it was yet another 'enemy' come to gloat kept him facing straight ahead.

"This is a closed court, Madam. I insist you leave this instant."

"I will do no such thing! How dare you hold this hearing without my consent!"

Harry's eyes widened in surprise at the sound of the brittle, shrill sound of his aunt's agitated voice; she sounded much like he imagined a vexed Harpy would sound. Turning around, he watched as she pushed pasted the startled guard and made her way toward him.

"Aunt Petunia? How? Why?" He stuttered.

"Don't worry, Harry. I will have you out of here soon enough. Your Headmaster was kind enough to send someone for me. He thought your legal guardian should have a say in these...these proceedings." Her last words were said with a sneer that would have rivaled even Snape's best and he could hear outraged grumblings coming from behind him. In a softer voice, she continued, "Are you alright, Harry? Your headmaster and your professors have filled me in on the what happened last year and what these people are trying to do."

To say he was confused by her show of concern, not to mention her actual presence in the chamber, would have been a considerable understatement. He nodded, forcing himself to say, "I'm fine, Aunt Petunia."

There was a loud banging sound; turning his head towards the noise, he noticed the High Judge was tapping his staff rather forcefully against a low, wooded pedestal that sat next to his chair. "Order!!" he demanded. "What is the meaning of this interruption? Who are you?"

Harry's aunt straightened her back and with the haughtiest demeanor she could muster, replied, "I am Petunia Dursley, Harry's aunt and legal guardian. I am here to take my nephew home!" She smiled coldly up at the Judge, sending a shiver down Harry's spine. He had no clue what she was up to but suddenly he was terrified. "I am removing him from your little freakish world and taking him back where he belongs."

Is aunt's words sent Harry's head spinning. What did she mean she was removing him from the wizarding world? She couldn't do that, could she? What about Arabella and his father? How could they let this happen? His body began to shake subtly and he swallowed hard. He wouldn't breakdown here, he wouldn't. It was a mantra he began repeating over and over in his head; he forced himself to separate a bit from the situation. He had to stay calm and think.

"Am I to understand, Madam," a female judge just right of center started, "that you are repudiating the Wizarding World's and the Ministry's claim and jurisdiction over your nephew? You understand that he will not be able to communicate or be part of the wizarding world in anyway. All his wizarding possessions will be sealed until his eighteenth birthday. He will have no access to them, including his wand."

"Of course I understand that," his aunt snapped and Harry tightened his hands into fists before forcing himself to relax and think things through. There is no way his aunt would have come here on her own, nor was there a way that she could have understood what she was doing unless being told beforehand. That meant that she was just doing what she had been instructed to do, but why? A thought suddenly occured to him and his eyes flickered toward his aunt. Could she be under the Imperious? Could some Death Eater have gotten to her, arranged for her to deliver him straight into Voldemort's hands? A new sense of panic and urgency surged through him as he tried to think of a way out of the situation.

"May I ask, Mrs. Dursley," the male judge who was sitting on the far left and that Harry had mentally dubbed 'Santa Clause" inquired, "why you have chosen this course of action?"

"I would think that would be obvious, sir." She replied, "Your little world got my sister killed and you all have treated my nephew atrociously. He is a BOY, nothing more or less — and I am well aware of what has happened to him these past few years. I was threatened into allowing my nephew to attend Hogwarts against my better judgment and I have had enough of your nonsense. Now do whatever it is you need to do so that Harry and I may leave."

"Your honor, I insist that Mr. Potter's wand be broken!" Minister Fudge exclaimed in a rush.

"I do not believe that will be necessary," came a reply in a very familiar voice from the far side of the room. For a moment, Harry relaxed. It would be okay, surely Dumbledore wouldn't let this continue; he'd know how to keep Harry in the Wizarding World.

"Dumbledore! What are you doing here?" Fudge asked, clearly annoyed at his presence.

"Mrs. Dursley asked me to act as her council; it is her right as she is not completely familiar with our laws." Dumbledore responded pleasantly. He appeared almost unconcerned and for a brief moment Harry trepidations disappeared. "I apologize, Mrs. Dursley for the delay, but since you seemed certain of your course of action, I needed to retrieve something from Mr. Ollivander's shop."

Dumbledore's words left a cold, empty feeling in Harry's chest. They'd promised him he would never have to go back, but that obviously wasn't the case now. He felt himself fighting for composure against the bitter tears that were building behind his eyes. For the millionth time since he felt the first Dementor, he wished he had never left Hogwarts. From the corner of his eye, he could see his aunt nodding to acknowledge the Headmaster and he wanted to scream at them to stop, but then he caught sight of Minister Fudge. The man was fairly angry; his was tense and his eyes were narrowed. His jaw was set in a firm, disgruntled line. He obviously did not like these turn of events; he looked like a child who had his toys and candy taken away.

Dumbledore stepped closer to him, but didn't look Harry in the eye. Instead, he addressed the tribunal. "I believe Mrs. Dursley has made her wishes quite clear. While I wished there was some alternative, I do not see it at the moment. If you would please seal Mr. Potter's wand in this box, I would be glad to escort them home."

For a brief moment, the room was still. The Head Judge then rose gracefully from his chair and turned to his right. One by one, the judges he faced nodded their acquiescenes. He turned to the left and again each judge nodded. Turning back to faced them, the Judge spoke, "One be half of the High Tribunal, I hereby accept Mrs. Dursley's renouncement of the Wizarding Society on behalf of her nephew. All claims against Mr. Harry Potter are thus dismissed."

The Head Judge then stepped forward and took the box from Dumbledore; setting it on the podium, he placed Harry's wand inside and sealed the box. One by one the other judges approached, touched the box with their wand and muttered an incantation Harry could not hear before exiting the room. With each whispered word, he felt a little more of his life and his dreams slip away. Finally, only the Head Judge was left. He placed his wand on the box, muttered the incantation and then, with the box in hand, approached Harry.

"A seal has been placed on this box that will prevent it from being opened without magic until your eighteenth birthday. On that day, you will simply be able to lift the lid off the box. Good luck, Mr. Potter." The High Judge said as he handed Harry the box. With a quick nod to both Dumbledore and then Minister Fudge, the last of the Judges exited the room. Minister Fudge followed the High Judge with little more than a nasty look toward him and a brusque "good day" to the Headmaster. As he left, Harry for the first time noticed Percy Weasley following behind him, a sneer on his face when he looked toward Harry. The Ministry Advocate followed as well, with a more polite "Good Afternoon, Gentlemen."

The last of the people to exit the room was a short, chubby, silly looking woman wearing an annoyingly fluffy pink sweater over her work robes. As she walked by he could hear her low mutter about what a disgrace he was to the Potter name and something about age addling Dumbledore's mind. The words were spoken in a voice just low enough so they could be heard and in a particularly venomous tone. The brief encounter sent yet another chill through his body.

He wasn't sure how long he just stood there, unaware of the passage of time until he felt his aunt grip his arm tightly and pull him along beside her.

"Pay attention, Harry. I wish to leave this freakish place as quickly as possible." She said as she marched them down the long aisle. Pushing the door open, she dragged Harry out into the antechamber where he was immediately blinded by the flashing of camera. He could hear several guards clearing the press away as he stared down at his feet, covering his face with his forearms.

"Harry!"

Looking up in the direction of the familiar shout, he could see five red heads moving quickly toward him.

"Are you alright, mate?" George or Fred asked. It was all Harry could do to nod at them without breaking down then and there.

"Oh, Harry!" Mrs. Weasley said softly as she stepped forward to embrace him. Instinctively, Harry stepped away to avoid her. He knew if he let her touch him, he would lose what composure he had. Pain flashed in the woman's eyes causing him to look away, unable to bear anymore.

"What's going on, sir?"

It was Ron's voice, filled with alarm, that had directed the question to the Headmaster. He heard the elder wizards loud sigh and could imagine the kind and sympathetic expression that Harry was sure was on Dumbledore's face.

"I am afraid, Mr. Weasley, that Harry's aunt has decided to remove him from the Wizarding Community until he comes of age." Dumbledore said the statement just loud enough that it carried to the nearby reporters; Harry could hear them buzzing about, whispering speculations. Closing his eyes, he tried to push it all away, pretend it wasn't happening, even as he heard the chorus of voices all speaking at once.

"You can't let her do that!" Ron protested.

"Surely, there is something we can do!" Mrs. Weasley said.

"Yeah, Professor! Please!" The twins cried in unison.

"Is that wise, Professor?" Mr. Weasley asked

Dumbledore sighed again. "I'm sorry, but the decision has been made. It is Mrs. Dursley right and I can not interfere." He said.

"Can we leave," Mrs. Dursley said in a sharp annoyed tone. "I would like to be home as soon as possible."

"Of course, Mrs. Dursley. Harry, would you like a few minutes to say your good-bye's?"

Harry looked at the alarmed and distressed expressions on the five familiar faces of his friends before turning to Dumbledore and choking out softly, "No sir. It would feel to final. I'd prefer to leave quickly."

"As you wish," the Headmaster said.

"Don't worry, Harry. It will be alright." He heard Mrs. Weasley say.

"Yeah, mate. We'll see you again. Don't worry." Ron said.

"Be safe, Harry. We'll miss you." "Take care, Harry," and "Be careful, Harry," came the simultaneous replies of Fred, George and Mr. Weasley.

"Severus, would you assist me in returning Mrs. Dursley and Mr. Potter to their home?"

Until he heard the Headmaster address him, Harry hadn't realized his father was even there and he felt a sudden surge of anger toward the man. Hadn't the man just told him that he wanted to re-claim him? How could he let this happen! Briefly, he glanced toward the man and fought hard against the impulse to cringe way at the looked of distain that twisted his father's features. A small voice whispered in the back of his mind that he had been right all along; Snape hated him. He glanced around anxiously trying to find Remus or Arabella or even Sirius in the gathering crowd. Realizing none were present, he felt his heart sink to even lower depths.

He felt Dumbledore's gentle pressure on his shoulder as he guided him into step behind his father and his aunt as they walked together down the crowded hall. He could hear groups of people murmuring as he passed and did his best to ignore it. Scenery blurred around Harry as he walked in somewhat of a daze. He barely noticed when the Headmaster pulled him close and apparated. When it registered that he was actually on Privet Drive, Harry automatically started walking toward his Aunt and Uncle's home but he felt nothing. When he reached the front door, he opened it and stepped through and was greeted immediately by his Uncle's angry verbal barrage.

"What are you doing back here, boy?"

He heard someone say "Shut up, Vernon!" quite acerbically as his aunt and the others joined him in the small foyer, shutting the door behind them. He felt someone touch his shoulder. Looking up he saw his father starring down at him with concern. Suddenly the world snapped back into focus and came crashing down around him all at once. Yanking violently away, he backed himself into the living room area.

"Don't touch me!" He shouted at the man. "Don't ever touch me! How could you do this?" His voice broke over the words and his vision swam as the tears he'd fought hard to suppress all day overwhelmed him. "I hate you!" he hissed at him venomously.

"Harry James!"

He heard the sharp exclamation followed immediately by the sound of his uncle's outraged sputtering and his cousins shrieking. Turning in the direction of the voice, he saw Arabella standing just inside the kitchen area. Her face was stern; she was obviously displeased with his attitude and that betrayal only hurt worse. Her expression softened then and she took a step toward him, opening her arms. In a flash, Harry found himself sheltered by her embrace. She soothed him as he cried into her shoulder. As the tears dried, he mumbled, "Please don't leave me here."

"Shh, sweety. It's all right. I never intended to leave you. I promise." She whispered back to him. She pushed him back gently so she could look him in the eyes, "I am sorry if we scared you." He felt his face tingle as she brushed her fingers over his tear-stained eyes. He felt his mind begin to clear a bit and his heart rate calm as a loving presence flooded his senses. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he was aware that she was using her skills to calm him. He just didn't care at the moment.

"What happens now?" he asked in a shaky voice, his eyes flitting between Arabella, his father and the Headmaster.

"We take you home."

It was his father who answered.

"What about that custody thing she mentioned?" his aunt asked.

"We can perform that now, if you wish." Arabella responded, exchanging a look with her husband.

"I'm afraid that will have to wait." Dumbledore said.

Harry felt Arabella grasp his hand firmly just as his father turned on the Headmaster with an angry scowl, "And just why is that?" Snape asked.

"There are a few arrangements I would like to make to assure Harry's safety and anonymity. It should only take a week or two to complete. We can perform the ceremony then."

Harry wasn't too sure what he thought about Dumbledore's reason. His father visibly relaxed, however and Arabella wasn't squeezing his hand so tightly anymore, so he figured it couldn't be too bad. He watched as the Headmaster turned toward his aunt and pulled a chain from around his neck. Extending the necklace to Petunia, he said, "Please, take this Mrs. Dursley. If you are ever in trouble, wrap your hand around the crystal and say 'Haven.' The crystal will transport you to a safe house where we will be able to assist you. Anything touching you at that moment will be transported as well. "

His aunt's eyes had bugged out at the mention of the word 'trouble'; she took the crystal and chain in a shaking hand.

"Give that back to him this instant, Petunia. I will have none of their freakish things in my home!" His uncle ranted. His aunt just turned to him and said, "No Vernon, I will not. I would rather have something that could save our lives than nothing at all. Thank you, Mr. Dumbledore."

For a moment, Harry wondered what his aunt had been told to make her so amenable. His thoughts were interrupted by Arabella voice.

"Shall we be going then, Harry?"

His eyes flashed to Snape, who stood quietly behind the Headmaster watching him and Arabella, and suddenly felt contrite. He nodded his head, smiling slightly at his father in apology. Arabella removed a similar pendant from around her neck and placed the crystal in her hand, holding it out to Harry. When he placed his hand in hers, over the crystal, she smiled and whispered a word softly. He was surprised when the pull started in his belly and it wasn't accompanied by dred. The world blurred around him, but he didn't care. He was going home.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=328