Harry Potter and the Secret Promise by SaimheofAvalon
Summary: At the end of GoF, Harry is sent home for a very specific reason – it is time for the secrets of Harry’s past to end, for a new journey to begin and for old friendships to be tested, new friendships to be formed. And, as always, Dumbledore is right, only through friendship, trust and love will the treat of Voldemort be ended.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Original Character, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 39 Completed: No Word count: 124421 Read: 94745 Published: 02 Feb 2005 Updated: 05 Nov 2005
Do Over ­- Arabella by SaimheofAvalon

July 31(1994)

It was just past noon on their first day on Tywyllwch and already Arabella was exhausted.

Almost as soon as they arrived on the island, Severus and Remus took two of the three house elves that greeted them and went off to get the supplies they would need - enough to last them a good long time, or at least until they were more self-sufficient. Arabella and Sirius had been left on the docks with the trunks, the babies, Winky - who had come with them ­ and old Morse, who struck her as a less twisted version of the Black family elf, Kreacher. So far, she had spent four hours overseeing and organizing the cleaning effort, not to mention pitching in with some of the actual cleaning. The master suite and nursery were tackled first. There was still quite a bit of work to be done. The décor was outdated and faded after fifteen years of disuse but at least the room was clean and presentable. When the two elves, Mimi and Iggy, had returned with the first load of supplies, she had immediately set to work with them in organizing the kitchens and storage while she sent Sirius off to set up his rooms in the North tower and to put Remus’ things in the West Tower.

That was two hours ago and, at the moment, she was ready to drop. The effort involved in the spell that morning was beginning to catch up with her; it had taken quite a bit out of her and she felt literally drained. The changes occurring in her body were not making it easier on her, either. She was tired and the hormones were making her irritable and very emotional. She could feel the slight trembling in her limbs that warned her that she was pushing herself too far. A soft whimper came from the carrier that sat on the kitchen table, followed almost immediately by the soft whine of a large black dog in the doorway.

“I think it's almost time for the little ones to eat,” she said as she flicked her wand at the basket, commanding it to follow her. Turning to the elves, she said, “Please continue the cleaning in the Great Hall, the Library and the Sitting Room. Winky, when Master Severus and Remus return, tell them I took the twins upstairs. If you need anything, please come to me.” She said, smiling at the little elf in her new “uniform.” Arabella could already see the difference in the creature since meeting her for the first time that morning. Another whimper from the basket cut her musings short. “Coming Snuffles?” she called over her shoulder as she walked toward the steps.

Wearily, she climbed the stairs up two floors to the Master’s suite, grateful for the excuse to sit down and rest. She heard the door to her rooms shut behind her and the distinctive pop that indicated Snuffles was once again Sirius. She heard him moving about the rooms and figured he was looking for the potions Severus had left for her. While he searched, she lifted the babies from the carrier and placed them her bed and quickly checked and changed their diapers. Once they were settled, she sat on the edge of the bed and simply stared at them in wonder. She still couldn’t believe they were hers now ­ her responsibility ­ her children. She just hoped she could do as well by them as their birth mothers had done.

A gentle hand squeezed her shoulder and she turned to face her brother’s worried countenance. Wordlessly, he handed her a vial of the metabolic efficiency potion that she swallowed with little protest. He then handed her a thick, creamy shake-like drink that was, in actuality, a highly concentrated nourishment potion that Severus developed. It was designed to counteract the effects of malnourishment or starvation; in her case, it was providing the raw materials needed for her body to produce enough breast milk to support the most of the needs of two infants growing at an accelerated rate without damaging her own body. They planned to use a specially prepared version of the potion as the supplemental formula for the twins.

As her fingers brushed against her brother’s hand, she felt the struggle going on inside of him. She squeezed his hand tightly, understanding his misgivings and worries; she shared some of them. However, she knew neither would deny the benefits of the experience for all involved.

“You okay, Siri?” she asked softly.

“Yes,” he replied in an equally quiet voice, “You?”

“I’ll be fine, Siri. Promise. I can’t ignore the benefits.”

“I know, Bella,” he said with a resigned sigh as he stared down at the infants, “I just can’t help worrying. So many things that could go wrong and they wouldn't even be able to defend themselves, not to mention how this is already affecting you.”

Sliding closer to her brother, Arabella placed her hand on his back and rubbed gently. “I know, but I'll be fine. I have you, Remi and Sev looking after me and you know how important the innate magic in the milk is. how It will strengthen the bonds between us ­ including the blood bonds induced by the potions.” She paused for a moment, "You know we've taken every precaution and have contingency plans in place in case of the worst."

“There isn’t anything I wouldn't do for them, you know.” Sirius replied. He paused for a moment before his expression rapidly changed to one of child-like glee, “I’ll get to be with them this time, do all the things I wanted to do with Harry but never had the chance.”

Arabella smiled at him but her reply was cut short by the sudden indignant shrieks coming from the two small infants on the bed. “Siri, would you like to feed Harry?” she asked, “Sev left some prepared formula for them. It should be in the cooler box with the other potions.”

Sirius smiled widely and jumped up immediately heading for the box and retrieved a bottle. He cast a simple warming charm on it before lifting a fussing Harry into his arms. Arabella watched him closely as he settled himself gingerly into an armchair. He shifted Harry awkwardly, the infant protesting slightly, until her brother had the infant resting comfortably in the correct arrangement for feeding. As soon as he had the bottle in position, Harry latched on to it and started to suck greedily. For a few moments, Arabella watched them, captivated by not only the sight before her, but also by how enchanted Sirius was by the infant in his arms.

A frustrated whimper drew her attention and he looked down to see Hermione’s face scrunched up and red. Reaching down, she lifted the small girl into her arms. Taking a throw blanket from the foot of the bed, she settled herself against the headboard and pillows. As the baby squirmed, she fumbled with the fastenings on her robes until she could get free. Getting the baby in position, she waited to feel the odd sensation of the small mouth drawing sustenance from her body. Taking the throw, she used it to cover herself and sat back to watch her new daughter.

** == ^ == ** ** == ^ === **

Early September

Arabella felt the bed shift even before she heard the first whimpers coming from the crib at the side of the bed. Moaning softly, she already missed the comforting, warm presence of her husband as she rolled over into a sitting position and summoned the extra pillows from the floor. A brief glance at the window showed no light trying to peak through the heavy curtains, which meant it was still the dead of night. Quickly, she settled the support pillows around her, unbuttoned her night shift and waited for Severus to bring Harry to her. At 18 lbs, he was already twice the size he had been when they arrived a month ago. While he and Hermione looked and acted like typical six-month old babies, which biologically they were, they ate twice as much as a regular newborn. Arabella treasured every minute of it.

Severus handed her a squirming, cranky, but freshly diapered Harry and she settled him against her and watched him as he sucked contentedly, his tiny fists grasping at her breast. No matter how often the scene was repeated, she still found herself captivated by the infant ­ the softness of his skin, the distinct baby smell, the way his little features seemed to brighten when he saw her or the funny little contented noises he made as he ate. Arabella loved to cradle the babies against her, feel their warmth against her skin as she fed them; she couldn’t exactly put into words how she felt ­ the feelings were that powerful.

Gently, she stroked Harry’s cheek as he drank and felt his simple, basic emotions hovering on the outer edge of her consciousness. She could feel the warmth she usually associated with love and familiarity, with trust. Every time she felt those emotions, from either child, it triggered a fierce devotion within her - a tremendous, unconditional love that defied everything rational. Leaning forward slightly, she kissed Harry’s bald head.

“Bella?” Severus asked quietly.

Looking up, she saw that he had returned to the bed with a content Hermione. A bottle was firmly rooted between her lips and she was placed on a pillow in a position similar to Harry’s. Lying on his side, he smiled curiously at her across the babies lying between them. She smiled back at him, trying to figure out how to put into words what she was feeling. Unconsciously, she reached out to stroke a finger against Hermione’s cheek; the little girl turned her head slightly and almost seemed to smile at her around the nipple of the bottle. Again, that all encompassing love washed over her and Arabella couldn’t imagine loving anyone more than she loved Hermione and Harry in those moments.

Severus’ hand brushed hers gently and she looked up at him. “Thank you,” she whispered as his love and understanding washed over her. He tilted his head, looking at her quizzically and she knew he was waiting for her to elaborate. “For this time, for these two,“ she said, “for accepting and dealing with Sirius and Remus. I know it’s hard for you to be around them so much.” She paused, breathing deep as she looked down at the babies again, “I’m happy, Sev. I forgot how happy I was before, being with you, having my brother and Remus around.”

Severus squeezed her hand and let down some of his mental and emotional walls. She understood that it was his way of expressing his feelings to her when he couldn’t find the right words. Verbal communication was a skill they were still working on together. Getting to know each other again had been easier in some ways than others. She recognized how intensely private her husband was and that he rarely talked about himself with others. In her whole life, she had only know him to open up to four people; his mother, herself, Lily and Lucius Malfoy. His mother had died when he was very young, he’d grown apart from Lily after Hogwarts during his period with Voldemort and then grown apart from Lucius when he returned to the light. He had spent the last fourteen years virtually alone, without a single confidant he could talk about everything with and fourteen years of enforced self-isolation habits was hard to overcome.

Harry released his hold on her about the same time as Hermione finished her bottle, both having fallen asleep in the process. Gently, they maneuvered the babies closer together and curled themselves protectively around them. She looked into Sev’s dark eyes before drifting off into a light slumber, content with her life at the moment and not caring a bit that she’d be awakened again in an hour or two. It was worth it.

** == ^ == ** ** == ^ === **

Late September

The early morning sun shone brightly outside. Gathering her cloak around her, Arabella walked briskly across the courtyard and over to the tower she’d had begun to think of as “Remus’ tower.” Relief washed over her when she tried the door and it opened easily for her; it meant that Sirius had enough time to help Remus to bed and come back and release the protective spells he had placed to keep both of them secure inside the tower during the full moon. Moving inside quickly, she shut the door softly behind her and hung her cloak on the rack just inside the door. Moving over to the fireplace, she added a few logs and stoked the fire until it blazed and warmth began to spread throughout the room.

Quietly, she began to ascend the stairs to the second level, where she hoped to find her brother and Remus tucked warmly into their respective beds. The first door on her left was slightly ajar, and she pushed it open, wincing at the softly creaking hinges. She chuckled softly at the sight of her half-dressed brother, draped halfway across the large bed, one leg hanging over the side. Careful not to wake him, she moved him fully onto the bed and pulled the covers over him. Not able to resist, she tucked him in much as she would a child and kissed his forehead. Glancing at the fireplace, she verified it would last long enough to keep the early morning chill from the room before she slipped out the door.

Crossing the hall, she opened the last door on the right and peeked inside. As she suspected, Remus was lying in the center of his bed, the covers drawn carefully around him. It amazed her sometimes, the gentleness her brother would show to those he loved ­ like herself, Harry and Remus. Slipping quietly into the room, she walked up to Remus’ bed and gently brushed the back of her hand against his cheek. She felt the healing connection snap into place and his pain and physical discomfort filter into her mind. Phantom pains spread throughout her body ­ stiffness in the neck and major joints, the piercing pain in the face, hands and feet as the multiple bones and tissues healed themselves, the overall aching soreness of his muscles. She could feel the emotional repercussions, as well - the grief and despair that always accompanied the transformations. She was profoundly grateful, however, for the small bit of hope and the peace of mind she felt in him, as well. She knew it was a direct result of the Wolfsbane Potion.

Gingerly, she sat on the edge of the bed. She moved slowly, not wanting to disturb Remus’ sleep or cause him any additional discomfort. She held her hands over his face, close enough to feel the warmth emanating off him, but not actually touching him. Closing her eyes, she concentrated on the mental image her senses fed her, looked for the pain triggers, the disruption in energy patterns, all the causes and relating symptoms and then one by one eased the pains and helped advance the healing processes. She muttered spells softly, easing muscle tension in his jaw and calmed the nerve endings that triggered the pain sensation.

Gradually, her hands moved down the side of his body, from his neck, through his shoulder, elbow and hand. As she worked, she noted the degree of damage done to his joints over the years and the lack of proper nutrition that was evident, the improvements from over his condition the same time last month and filed it away for later consideration. Once she completed repairing the initial damage to his chest, she rose from the bed and started working from the feet up. As she reached his upper thigh, she noticed his blood pressure increase and glanced up at Remus, smiling wryly. Stepping back, she summoned a chair from the corner and sat down beside the bed.

“Morning, Remi,” She said, “How are you feeling?”

“My left side feels about normal for the morning after the third moon,” he said, “in comparison, my right side feels like heaven.”

While his voice was steady, she could see he was a bit self-conscious due about being in such close proximity to her in his current state of undress, regardless of the blankets that protected his modesty. Deciding that the best way past the discomfort was to face it head on, she rose from her seat, walked around to the other side of the bed and climbed onto his bed. Taking his left hand in hers, she felt her body instinctively begin to heal him. She chuckled softly when he sighed and visibly started to relax only to flush in embarrassment.

“ Remi! It’s just me!” she laughed, swatting at him gently.

“So, how are the twins?” Remi asked.

Shifting position, she scooted up next to him so that her back was against the headboard. “Rollover, so I can get to your back and I will tell you all about their antics over the last four days.”

Remi smiled and did as she asked. As she found and eased the tense and injured muscles along his spine, she told him about Hermione’s insistence on Severus’ attention, Harry’s love of the “flying game.” They talked for an hour ­ about the twins and about Sirius, as she slowly healed his body and he began to give into exhaustion.

“So what about you and Severus?” he asked tiredly, yawning before continuing. “You have talked about everything else, including what a good father he is, but not about the two of you. Things are alright?”

“Fine Remus,” she said, giving his shoulders a squeeze. “I won’t say it hasn’t been difficult or been odd at moments. It took us both a while to really start talking again, I mean really communicating. I never thought I would be grateful for the lack of sleep, but it was much easier to open up now that we have the babies, especially during feedings. Maybe when they are a bit bigger, you’ll get to see how he is with them. Its amazing,” she said.

Looking over his shoulder, she could see his eyes had drifted closed. Smiling, she leaned over and kissed his cheek, “Sleep well, Remi.” She climbed off the bed slowly and covered him with an extra blanket before walking from the room. She checked the fire one more time on the way out of the tower before grabbing her cloak on her way out. She quickly crossed the courtyard and entered the keep to be greeted by sounds of giggling infants and the soft, smooth voice of her husband. With as much stealth as she possessed, she crept toward the door into the dinning room. Severus was sitting at his usual seat at the head of the table, an infant prompt in a highchair on either side of him. He was taking turns feeding each of them, making spoons fly through the air and into eager, waiting mouths. A feeling of rightness settled over her as she leaned against the doorframe. For now, at least, her life was good.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Again ­ to anyone confused by something in the story ­ put it in a review or drop me an email so I can make sure I clarify it in the story.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=328