Mr. Pookie by starangel2106
Past Featured StorySummary: This is a holiday fic featuring one Mr. Potter and Mr. Pookie.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Family, Fluff
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2413 Read: 3757 Published: 25 Dec 2015 Updated: 25 Dec 2015
Story Notes:

I debated about putting this story up. I wrote it as a back up in case someone couldn't post for the holiday fic fest.  It is completely in fun and not to be taken at all seriously. (Also has not been editted as that involves time I sadly don't have)

 

A big thank you to Pandora, HPfan, and Luck! :D  

Mr. Pookie by starangel2106

Once upon a time on a cold winter’s night the first night of the holiday break Harry was snuggled into his bed with his father, Severus Snape.  A long story as to how that came about; but, Harry was only 10 and was staying at Hogwarts and the students had left home for the holidays.  Unfortunately Harry came down with the Mandrake fever.  Not a very serious disease, similar to that of the flu; but, it did make Harry feel extremely unwell which is why his father was reading him a story as he drifted off into dreamland.

As Harry entered the world of dream there suddenly arose a bear with soft brown fur and soulful brown eyes.   Mr. Pookie was no ordinary brown bear.  For you see, he could speak English, with the hint of a London accent. Probably owing to the fact that he had been residing in London for the better half of 45 years.  You might say that bears don't usually live that long.  But then again, bears don't usually speak English do they. 

 “Pssst.   Psssst.  Over here!” Mr. Pookie said.

 Harry looked around confused and finally spotted the bear and jumped back.  Even though he’d never encountered a bear let alone a talking one before, he did know he had to be cautious and ready to run.   “Uh Hello.”

 “Come on over here and let’s play!” Mr. Pookie said joyfully.

 Harry snuggled in bed let out a sigh as he joined the friendly bear in dreamland.  Together they made jokes and played games and even decorated a tree! It was the most fun Harry could remember having since the summer.  You see, his father didn’t let him out to play often due to school schedules and him being younger than the other kids in the castle.  During the winter months they mostly holed up inside in the dungeons.  This didn’t bother Harry usually but occasionally he’d look longingly out the windows in hopes his father would take him outside so they could play. 

 Severus Snape sat in his kitchen preparing a light snack that would be easy to grab in case Harry awoke in the middle of the night as he usually did when sick.  He sighed. It really wasn’t the way they planned to spend the time off from work and school, alas he couldn’t fix it.  He wondered if there was a way to make a potion to speed up the recovery time. Past experiences said no, it was similar to a virus that nothing would help, just cover the symptoms and let the fever take its course.   Harry tended to get clingy and cranky when sick. He was not looking forward to the arguments.  Harry never understood he was sick and needed to rest. He was always prepared for the next great adventure…trouble magnet that he was.

 Harry curled up on his side with the most surreal look when Severus made it back up to check on him.  He hoped he was finally going to sleeping peacefully.  It had been a rough day already. The fever caused nightmares which everyone of course thought Harry had enough of; but, to a boy of 10 would cause a lot of concern and it would take a while to calm him back down.  

 Harry woke up in the morning feeling refreshed. He had the best dream ever. He couldn’t wait to tell his father and beg to be taken outside to play in the snow. There was only a few days left until Yule.  His father walked into his room with breakfast.  “I see you slept all night.  How are you feeling?” Severus said as he set up Harry’s tray. 

 “Dad! I had a wonderful dream, we have to go outside and play in the snow!” Harry practically shouted in glee ignoring the breakfast and trying to climb out of bed.  

 “Not so fast young man.  First breakfast.  Second you are still sick.” Severus said sternly yet tried to be gentle enough in dashing Harry’s hopes.

 Harry grumbled but settled down and finished the breakfast he was given.  He hated breakfast it always slowed them down. There were things to do and it was a lot more fun to do them than to sit and eat in his opinion.   Once he finished he again started to crawl out of bed. “Daaaad we have things to do.” He said as Severus started to tell him to get into bed.

 “Harry, we have plenty of time.  You won’t be feeling very well if you keep trying to rush.” Severus said with a growl.  He pointed his want and took Harry’s temperature. At least it was a low grade fever. 

 “Well can I at least tell you what we have to do?” Harry grumbled back moving towards his clothes to prepared for the day.   

 Severus accented and sat back down to listen to Harry’s story.  Harry jumped right in. “I had a dream and it told me what we had to do this week you see.  We have to go side and build a snowman and snow angel!  Then uh, can you build an igloo? With magic?” Harry exclaimed excitedly without breath. “Yeah an igloo. Then we have to have a snowball fight and…dad, can we have hot chocolate afterwards.” 

 “Harry” Severus sighed then stopped.  “We can’t go outside today. Plus it hasn’t snowed yet.  Once it snows and you are well enough, then yes I will take you outside.” Severus consented even though he was not a fan of the snow.

 Harry grinned so widely Severus knew it was the right decision. They each settled into their respective tasks for that day that involved taking it easy so Harry would get better. Severus was actually surprised he settled down once being told that as soon as it snowed and he was well they’d wander outside. 

 Harry could barely contain his glee. He knew he’d finally get to really play in the snow.  He wanted to run around and sing to the jollies.  That night he again dreamed about the bear and snow.  The same dream happened for the next two nights.  Finally it snowed on Christmas eve.   Harry wasn’t quite over the Mandrake fever; but, he was well into recovery and only occasionally felt exhausted. 

 Harry woke up and immediately looked at his window wall. He exclaimed loudly when he saw all the snow on the ground.  “Yippee!” He shouted before remembering his father would be displeased with such excitement in the morning.   Luckily for him Severus ignored the shout and continued preparing the breakfast he was making.  Harry came flying in still practically jumping and shouting.  “Dad! Dad! It snowed! It actually snowed Daddy!”  Severus just grinned he never would have thought he loved being called ‘Daddy.’

 “Yes Harry it did snow.  Now let’s eat breakfast so we can start the day.”  Severus said sternly knowing Harry preferred to skip breakfast and just get on with the day.  Severus kept encouraging Harry to finish his food before he allowed him to leave the table.  “Alright little boy, we have a lot to do today.  You are to listen to me and not go on any adventures. Do you understand?”  Severus said as sternly as possible. 

 “Yes dad. Let’s go!” Harry practically growled out as all children do when they just want to get on with their day.  He just wanted to go play in the snow.   It would be determined if the following was lucky or unlucky for either Harry or Severus.

 Severus made Harry put on all winter gear, longwear, coat, mittens, hat, boots with Harry complaining the entire time. “Either you do as I say or we don’t get to go out at all.” He finally bit out.  Harry finally crawled into the winter gear and they set off for the outside.  Harry believed that they would just start playing in the snow. How wrong he was.  “Mr. Snape-Potter!” Severus ground out as Harry started running towards of all things the lake.   “What” Harry yelled back still moving away.  “Come back here.” Severus waited until Harry was in front of him then nodded towards the forest.  “I believe a little boy also asked for a Yule tree this year.  In order to have that we have to find a tree.”  

 Harry’s eye got huge he forgot all about asking for a tree.  Usually Father Christmas just set his gifts at the end of his bed even though Hogwarts itself had trees decorated throughout his father never thought to put a tree up in their private quarters for him.  They were even going to decorate it!   He started running towards the forest with his father’s voice in his head shouting that he had to stay in eye sight.  Once they reached the forest line something magical, more magical than most things that happened at Hogwarts anyway.  Out from behind a tree jumped a huge brown bear with those soulful brown eyes.   Severus started running towards them telling Harry to get away from the bear as Harry just stood there staring.

 Mr. Pookie Harry exclaimed.   Mr. Pookie smiled.  “Hiya Harry-boy!  Are you ready to play in the snow?”  Harry grinned.  “Yes!  But first we have to get a tree. Want to help us find it?”  So together a very confused Severus, Harry, and bear looked for the perfect tree.  When they finally found one that was on the smaller side that Harry absolutely wanted Severus pulled his wand and cut the tree and sent it back to their quarters.  

 “Can we play in the snow dad?” Harry asked hoping he would finally be allowed.  Severus just gestured to go back to the main grounds instead of standing in the forest all day.  Once they were back in the open Harry noticed some of the students were outside played.  “Come on Mr. Pookie.  Let’s join in the snowball fight!”  Harry said looking between Mr. Pookie expectantly and Severus hopefully.  “Go ahead Harry.” Severus finally agreed and watched as he ran to join the snowball fight. 

Harry and Mr. Pookie joined the other children in a snowball fight.  The other children also looked at the big brown bear in shock having never seen a bear on school grounds or even near school grounds.  Actually, none of the children had ever actually seen a bear in real life.  

 Once all the children were tired of tossing snowballs and running hiding from being pelleted they started to build a huge snowman.  Mr. Pookie helped put the smaller balls on top.  They made a huge snowman, almost 7 feet.  Mr. Pookie would lift Harry to the top to put on the decorations of coal for the eyes and mouth, a carrot for the nose, sticks for the arms, and a scarf made of all the Hogwarts colors.   Soon after everyone had a snack break courteously of Severus asking the house elves to bring some fruits and veggies out and warm drinks Mr. Pookie indicated the lake and how they should all go ice skating.  Severus sighed. He hated lake water more than snow.  He muttered a smell to make sure the ice was thick and unbreakable.  He then noticed Mr. Pookie conjuring a Zamboni.  He really had to look into this Mr. Pookie and where and why he came. 

 Now the bear was going to let Harry drive that thing. Oh no. That was not happening.  “Excuse me. Harry is not riding or driving in that thing.” Severus growled in his scariest Potion Master voice making the other students cringe.  “I know how to drive and even occasionally instruct new students how to drive on roads.  This is super easy.”  He said calmly smiling as a bear smiles.  Severus growled and picked Harry up who whined.  That settled that.  Once the lake was smooth for ice skating the students conjured or had conjured for them skates and started ice skating.  “Dad will you come skate with me please.” Harry asked looking up at Severus.   Severus tried to tell him no.  Harry just kept asking.  Severus finally sighed and put skates on himself and took Harry’s hands and helped him out to the ice rink.  He knew Harry had never ice skated and could understand his fear.  He taught Harry all the basics and they were soon flying around the rink with the other students.  

 After ice skating Mr. Pookie invited himself to playing games with the kids, there was snow chess, sledding, blowing bubbles in the cold and watching them freeze, painting in the snow, and fort building.  Harry had a blast. He never knew you could do so much in the snow, even in his dreams Mr. Pookie only played snow tic tac, built a snowman and forts and had a snowball fight.  He couldn’t wait until he was an actual student at Hogwarts and had his own friends to come out and play. 

 Once the children stopped playing in the snow it was time for a late lunch.  After lunch Harry begged Severus to let Mr. Pookie help decorate the tree.  Severus allowed it and went to ask Professor Mcgonagal why there was a bear from Harry’s dream playing with him. 

 Mr. Pookie and Harry first put lights on the tree with Mr. Pookie making them bubbly and sparkly just right.  They then popped popcorn to string along the tree. They then added ornaments of all kinds on the tree.  Once that was completed they hung two stockings and completed decorating. When Severus walked in he was surprised at the cheerfulness of the room.  He sighed but agreed that Harry and Mr. Pookie did a good job.  Mr. Pookie said his goodbyes to Harry and disappeared.  Harry was confused as to where his Mr. Pookie went. He really enjoyed his day with Mr. Pookie.  Severus conjured hot chocolate with marshmallows and explained to Harry that the Mandrake Fever sometimes caused a child to imagine someone or in this case something to play with so they didn’t feel so alone while getting better.  Near the end of their healing the imagined image comes to play with the child to make him feel good.  That was why Mr. Pookie showed up and the imagine person/thing loved being let out to play. 

 Harry understood what he was told and cuddled on the couch next to his dad.  “Thank you daddy! I had a really good day. “

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3290