Picture Perfect Performance by Livia Ethelind
Summary: Harry appears somewhat saddened after he returns to Hogwarts. Hermione alone notices and decides to cheer up her friend.
A few days later Snape gets a surprise while patrolling the hallways.
Set in September of the 2nd year before the attacks begin.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione
Snape Flavour: Snape is Depressed, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Profanity
Prompts: Faint
Challenges: Faint
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 15055 Read: 19075 Published: 07 Jan 2016 Updated: 31 Jan 2016
Dealing with the devil by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Certain elephants in certain rooms cannot be avoided.
Severus wanted to turn around and hex audacity out of the schoolboy but he couldn't trust himself to leave the boy breathing. At least not after losing his temper only minutes earlier!

This was one of those few moments where Severus Snape found himself without a proper retort. So instead he opted for giving himself a few minutes to consider the situation and simply replied:

”What's that, Potter?”

He then opened the door and continued as if he hadn't actually heard Potter's remark. He stepped into the storage and closed the door behind him before he let out a sigh.

This is unbelievable! The little monster is actually trying to blackmail me! Innocent, indeed! If only Albus could see this! See what that brat is capable of it would wipe that smile right of his face once and for all!

But of course involving the headmaster wasn't an option. Severus glanced towards one of the shelves which also doubled as the entrance into his private lab. He wondered whether he should set up everything for the potion while he was here but decided simply to gather what he came for. As he picked up a knife and continued to search for the roots needed, he continued to weigh his options.

The boy is insufferable! Who does he think he's dealing with? Doesn't he know he could find himself on the receiving end of a curse any moment?

But despite the utter disgust Severus felt for the boy at the moment, he had to admit that he had not expected Potter to propose such a 'deal'. In fact it reminded him of... his Slytherins.

The man shuddered and made his way towards the door before stopping.

What am I going to do? For Merlin's sake! It's only a small boy! If you can lie to the Dark Lord's face – surely you can handle James Potter's brat!

Then Severus opened the door and went to deal with the little devil.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Harry was sitting at Hermione's side watching the fizzy orange drool bubble on her chin – or rather Lily's chin and wondering whether Snape would really be terribly upset if he helped keeping her clean. He wasn't quite sure why he couldn't touch her – after all Snape did it and it wasn't like Harry was going to hurt her.

Harry looked up at the door his professor had disappeared behind and wondered what to make of Snape's exit. He had tried his best to be polite about his suggestion. Snape had said he might not tell anyone. Those were not the assurances Harry was hoping for.

He had been at his wits end until he had realized he wished Ron had been with them. At least then he wouldn't be alone in all this. They might have been able to drag Hermione to the infirmary between them, right? But wait, wouldn't that have taken too long? Hadn't Snape said it got worse the longer it took before you got the potion? As he concluded it might have been easier to wake Snape and care for Hermione if they had been two he once again thought of Ron's reaction to Snape's... sudden fatigue. And that's when he realized he wasn't the only one who stood to be ridiculed if this got out.

Harry had no reason to tell anyone about that at all, seeing as it would probably mean exposing himself in the process, but if Snape used this against him he actually didn't feel bad about retaliating against the old bat and possibly telling Fred and George one or two details about how the potions master had fainted like a dainty lady after shrieking with surprise and fear! That wasn't entirely true of course but Snape had been nothing but horrible all night and Harry was beginning to grow truly angry about the unfairness of it all.

Now he was wondering how Snape would react. The man had suggested he didn't hear Harry's words but Harry considered that very unlikely since he was the only one making any sound and he knew Snape's hearing was one of his most bat-like features.

Suddenly the woman on the cot moaned in pain.

”Hermione?” Harry whispered.

”Hermione, can you hear me? Are you awake?”

She grunted in reply but did not open her eyes. Harry wasn't quite sure whether she was asleep again but he reached out and took her hand. She felt warm and her hand was sweaty despite the cold dungeon surrounding them.

Harry looked at her borrowed face. A part of him wanted to reach out and touch it. Even though she was pale and drooling Harry realized how pretty his mother would have been in person. He had seen her in pictures but when she was real it was different. Well, she wasn't technically real, she was Hermione! But Harry felt a sense of calm looking at her. He had always imagined his mother to be an angel and seeing her made him certain she must have been.

”Hermione? You're going to be alright! I promise!” Harry whispered.

Just then he heard a door open. Harry looked up to see Snape entering with a cutting board, a knife and what appeared to be some kind of root.

”Potter, I...” the professor began before he suddenly stopped.

Harry looked at him in confusion. Snape was starring at him and Hermione as if they had somehow turned into pink elephants but there was something strange about it. He was still wearing his apparently chronic frown but his eyes were not hard. Snape looked as if he was daydreaming or remembering something. Then as quickly as it had appeared it disappeared and the eyes became just as dark and terrible as they had always been.

”Potter... Refresh my memory... Did I not forbid you to touch Miss Granger?!” said Snape.

For a moment Harry just looked at in confusion before he realized that he was still holding her hand. He quickly pulled his hand away and looked up at Snape.

”Sorry, sir. I was just...” Harry mumbled.

Snape just sighed and placed the items on the smaller desk.

”Potter, come here,” the professor demanded.

Harry rose obediently and came closer to the desk. Snape had placed the roots upon the cutting board and was holding the knife.

”If you wish to help, you may slice these – thinly.”

Harry nodded and turned to grab the chair.

”Potter..” Snape began in a strange low voice.

Harry paused with the chair and turned to face his professor.

”Sir?”

Then the potions master merely shook his head waved his hand dismissively at Harry.

”Do be quiet about it, won't you?” he continued with a hint of malice.

Harry wasn't quite sure that was what Snape really meant to say but he finished half pulling, half dragging the chair to the desk and picked up the knife Snape had left there for him. He looked up at Snape who was once again going through the cupboard and took out another vial of the potion he had given Hermione. He placed it in his desk and turned to face Harry.

”Mr Potter, I will need to begin brewing soon as this is the last vial in my stock and I want to make it very clear that while I'm gone you will not move from that desk! Should any problem occur you will call for me. Do not run around looking for me – I will hear you! Is that understood?”

”Yes, sir.” Harry replied, thinking it was very odd indeed that Snape hadn't brought up Harry's suggestion.

”But sir, I wondered if...”

”Ah, yes,” the professor interrupted and frowned as he continued: ”First we need to talk. There's still the matter of your punishment.”

”My... My what?” was all Harry could say.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus stared into the boy wide green eyes as he relished the confusion and fear her saw.

So you think you're smart, you little brat? Well I've got news for you...

He crossed his arms and scowled at Potter.

”You heard me,” he sneered.

The boy was just sitting there with the knife in his hand, the roots on the desk and his mouth open. This wasn't going to change anything. Severus was never going to tell and he knew for certain the boy wasn't either – at least not unless Severus told someone first. He wasn't really afraid of the boy. Even if he did tell couldn't Severus deny it? No, the damage would be done regardless.

It was at moments like these he felt just how much he hated to boy. Still he wasn't going to get away with it. Potter's actions depended entirely upon his own and he could use that against the boy.

”Naturally, Mr Potter. You practiced magic without supervision, a spell that you are not meant to ever practice and you were out after curfew.”

”But...” the boy protested.

”But what, Potter? Were you expecting me to approve? I suppose you consider it your right to wander where you please, when you please and do whatever you like?”

”I don't.” The boy muttered and Severus continued before the child could.

”I've come to the conclusion, Mr Potter, that I won't need to involve other members of staff in this.”

What was that? Is the boy actually smiling at me?! Well, just you wait!

Severus narrowed his eyes at the boy's reaction and Potter quickly put on a less dangerous, more neutral expression.

”However...” Severus began with a hint of a smirk.

The boy looked visibly uneasy at this.

”You will be serving detention with me – every night for a week.”

A loud noise was heard as the boy dropped the knife and it rolled off the desk and onto the stone floor. Potter stared at Severus in disbelief.

”What? You can't... You can't do that! I...” he stammered.

You were hoping to get the better of me, weren't you? Well, two can play this game! I'd like to see you weasel you way out of this!

”What's that, Mr Potter? Do you have any objections? If you do, we can discuss it with professor McGonagall. Shall I fetch her?” Severus inquired.

The boy just shook his head and looked down at his hands. Severus remained silent and watched the boy like a hawk circling its prey.

”You really won't tell?” Potter suddenly whispered.

”No. Not unless you give me any cause to, Potter,” Severus replied.

The boy sighed with relief.

”W... What about Hermione?”

”Miss Granger is none of your concern,” Severus stated.

”I know you said that but I just don't want her to get into trouble,” the boy continued timidly.

”Then perhaps you shouldn't have broken the rules!” Severus sneered.

The boy now visibly rolled his eyes.

”And don't you give me any attitude, young man!”

”Whatever...” said the boy and shrugged. ”It's not like you're going to tell on me either way.”

Severus could feel his blood boil. He knew as well as the boy did that keeping quiet was to their mutual advantage but he most certainly didn't want Potter to test him now. After all, Severus decided, the detentions were more than fair! By rights he should have informed the headmaster and argued for both students to be expelled. Potter was lucky.

”Potter...” he began, hints of exhaustion present in his voice.

”Let me convey this in a manner even your pigeon brain can comprehend. You do not have a choice. You may think you do. You may think you can negotiate this. Let me dissuade you of that notion. Now pick up that knife and make yourself useful. If you can work quietly that would be appreciated as you've already given me a terrible headache.”

The boy huffed as he bend down to pick up the object. Severus turned his back to him and studied 'Lily' who was making faint noises.

”Maybe you hit your big ugly head when you fainted!” he suddenly heard a voice sneer behind him.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Harry grabbed the handle of the knife tightly and glared at Snape. It hadn't occurred to him that he was holding a weapon and that he might look a bit unhinged. The older wizard turned around slowly and starred at him with a look of disbelief.

Excuse me?

Just then Harry realized what he must look like and let go of the knife.

”I just meant...” Harry began as he regained control of his emotions.

He didn't get to finish that sentence as the great bat slammed his palms into the desk and remained slightly hunched over it – his face much too close for Harry's comfort.

”Do you think this is funny? HUH? Do you, Potter!?” the man roared.

A loud wail came from the cot as Hermione was disturbed. Harry's eyes darted to her but the professor didn't move an inch and Harry was too scared to run to her.

”It appears we find ourselves in an awkward position. I suggest you take the offer I have given you or I shall have add your puny attempts at blackmail to the list of things I will tell the headmaster,” Snape hissed.

Harry opened his mouth in order to direct Snape's attention towards Hermione.

”No! Potter! Don't argue with me! What did you tell me? That 'you won't tell if I don't tell'? I suggest you agree to that yourself. Then we shan't mention this again.”

Bloody hell! But it isn't fair! Well... I technically did do some of those things... Not the spell though but I suppose he's right about being out after curfew. Still, detentions all week? With Snape!He really must be furious. Well, we did cause him to faint. And he still saved Hermione.

”Okay,” Harry replied.

”Okay?” Snape repeated.

”I mean, it's a deal, sir!” Harry corrected himself.

”A deal?” Snape parroted and raised an eyebrow.

Just then Hermione wailed again.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Next chapter will likely be the last


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3295