Picture Perfect Performance by Livia Ethelind
Summary: Harry appears somewhat saddened after he returns to Hogwarts. Hermione alone notices and decides to cheer up her friend.
A few days later Snape gets a surprise while patrolling the hallways.
Set in September of the 2nd year before the attacks begin.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione
Snape Flavour: Snape is Depressed, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Profanity
Prompts: Faint
Challenges: Faint
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 15055 Read: 19075 Published: 07 Jan 2016 Updated: 31 Jan 2016
Story Notes:
I'll let this take me where it wishes! Written in response to a challenge by Alexannah

1. Snap! Snap! Snap! by Livia Ethelind

2. Like sand through fingers by Livia Ethelind

3. A tale about liars by Livia Ethelind

4. Believe me! by Livia Ethelind

5. Dealing with the devil by Livia Ethelind

6. Broken and mended by Livia Ethelind

Snap! Snap! Snap! by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Hello, this is my first published fic and I'm a little unsure of whether I did everything right. None the less, I hope you like it and feedback would be amazing. ^_^
Harry had been quiet for the last two weeks. Not that Ron had noticed at all of course. Harry spoke enough words but there was something distant about him and Hermione had noticed him falling eerily quiet at several occasions. His mind seemed occupied by something. Of course every time she'd spoken to him at one of these moments he had simply grinned and continued the conversation as if nothing had happened. Harry spoke of Quidditch and essays but hardly anything else. Hermione poked the lone potato on her plate with her fork and glanced at Harry who was once again quiet.

”What do you think? Eh, Harry?” said Ron with his mouth full of potato.

”Huh?” Harry said. ”Oh, sorry. I was just thinking about next weeks practice. What did you say?”

”Do you reckon Annie Hollander is good?” Ron repeated enthusiastically.

”I've seen her around. Strong arms on that one,” Harry replied with a smirk.

”Yeah, you better watch yourself, eh?” Ron smiled and nudged Harry.

”She still needs to aim,” Harry replied.

Hermione sighed. She had long lost her interest in both the potato and in Hufflepuffs newest beater. There was a Charms essay due for Wednesday she could go and distract herself with but what she really wanted to do was speak to Harry alone. But how was she to approach him? She knew him too well to think he'd just come out and tell her.

Hermione rose from her seat at the Gryffindor table. She picked up her bag and as she straightened up she momentarily locked eyes with Fred Weasley who gave her a friendly smile.

Probably thinks I'm off to the library.

She froze for less than a second. That had given her an idea. She pulled her bag over her shoulder and turned to her friends.

”Boys, I need you to come with me to the library. We have several essays to work on and I want us to get ahead because I'm not doing yours at the last minute this time!”

”Come on 'Mione,” Ron whined. ”This is important stuff! Harry needs to be ready when they play Hufflepuff!”

”Oh, come off it, Ron! The startup match is against Slytherin and that is not until November!” Hermione said with slight annoyance but only as much as she needed.

The two boys starred at her for a moment. After knowing her for a year they had come to expect her to know the answer to every question in class but they were still surprised every time Hermione knew anything about Quidditch.

”Fine, we'll come,” said Harry resigned.

”We bloody well won't!” huffed Ron. ”The next one isn't 'till Wednesday 'Mione! I'm not going to sit in some stuffy library for the rest of the evening.”

”Suit yourself,” Hermione replied with indifference.

That seemed to get to Ron for he merely grunted in reply.

”Harry, are you coming?” She inquired, noticing that Harry once again had fallen quiet.

”Huh? Yeah, yeah, I'm coming.”

Harry got up and followed Hermione out of the great hall. Hermione lead the way to the library and tried her best not to smile. You could always trust Ron to be scared away by homework.

Hermione looked over her shoulder to see if Harry was still following. It hadn't occurred to her until then that they had been walking in silence.

”Come on, let's find a quiet place,” she smiled as they entered the library.

”Hermione, I don't have my books. I just realized. I'll come back later, okay?” Harry suddenly said.

Hermione's eyes went to her shoes and she stopped dead in her tracks.

Oh, no. Oh, no. Think. Just think.

”Ehm, that won't be necessary. I've got my books and we can share. Oh, hurry Harry! There's a good spot there! Quickly before someone takes it!”

And with that Hermione grabbed Harry's arm and rushed him towards an isolated table as if she'd seen a bookstore sale. Hermione kept herself from pushing Harry into the seat and simply put her bag on the table. She took a seat and together they took out her books and placed them in front of them.

”Do you have an extra quill?” Harry smiled faintly.

”Of course,” Hermione replied and handed him not only the quill but also the sheets of parchment that Harry had yet to realize he needed to borrow.

Harry grabbed a book entitled A guide to simple locking charms and opened it to a random page. Hermione pretended not to notice as she took one of Professor Lockhart's works and did the same.

”Harry?”

”Yeah?” Harry mumbled with his nose in the book.

”There's... There's something I need to talk to you about,” Hermione whispered.

”Huh?” Harry looked up, a flash of surprise and fright in his eyes.

Curses! I need to think of something quickly!

”Uhm, yeah. You see, Harry, I've been a little down lately... I thought I could talk to... Never mind... It's nothing..”

Hermione quickly returned her eyes to the pages but she could feel Harry's eyes upon her.

”Do you want to talk about it?” Harry said quietly.

”No, forget it. You wouldn't understand,” Hermione replied, biting her lip as she spoke those words.

Harry remained eerily quiet. Then he returned to pretending to read. A moment passed as they sat there saying nothing. Then, suddenly, Harry spoke:

”Did you lose one of your books?” Harry asked.

Hermione paused and thought for a moment.

”My mothers scarf. It means so much to me. I just want it back.”

Harry continued to look at the book in front of him.

”I know how you feel,” Harry replied in a quiet sad voice.

Good, I'm getting somewhere.

”What did you lose?” Hermione carefully inquired.

Harry sighed.

”A picture... Well, I didn't lose it as much as my aunt burned it.”

Hermione closed her book and looked at Harry.

”A picture of mom. Holding me. It was the only one of just the two of us in the picture book.”

Hermione froze. She remembered the book Hagrid had given Harry too well.

”What happened?”

”I had taken it out to look at it. Then I left it on my bed by mistake.”

”Come on,” said Hermione putting her book back in the bag. ”Let's take a walk.”

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

A few days had passed. Harry was sitting alone in a window – pretending to enjoy the view. In reality he was waiting and his eyes busy listening for footsteps on any kind. Then he heard someone tripping lightly up the stairs.

”Hey, Harry!” Hermione called.

”Did you find it?” Harry asked with eyes full of excitement.

Hermione smiled and Harry understood the message.

”When?”

”Let's do it tonight. There an unused classroom that would be perfect. Did you get a camera?”

Harry smiled and held up the camera he had borrowed from Colin Creevey.

”Are you sure it'll be fine?” Harry asked – uncertainty poking him in the back for a moment.

”It doesn't look too complicated and I promise I'll never tell anyone. I took the book with me just in case.”

”Good, let's meet in the common room at midnight. I don't think anyone will be up. I'll bring the cloak,” Harry smiled.

”Deal,” replied Hermione and skipped down the stairs.

Later that night two people moved carefully through the corridors towards an empty classroom. Once safely inside and certain that Mrs. Norris hadn't followed them they carefully closed the door and Hermione put on some light.

”Put it over there,” Hermione said and pointed to a desk.

Harry placed the camera and turned to Hermione who was trying to stuff the invisibility cloak into her bag at the same time as she was pulling out a book. Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out a photograph of a woman with red hair and green eyes.

Hermione came closer – having successfully retrieved the book.

”All you need is the picture?” Harry said.

”Yes, so it says right here. I've never done this particular glamour spell before though,” said Hermione with her nose in the book.

Harry leaned over and looked at the pages.

”Looks complex to me,” he muttered.

”Well, it would, wouldn't it?” grinned Hermione.

Harry stuck his tongue out at her and placed the picture on the table.

”Shouldn't I do it? Is it a good idea to cast a spell on yourself?” Harry said suddenly.

He didn't want Hermione to get hurt – after all it was only a picture. Hermione was irreplaceable.

”Oh, please, Harry, I've done it lots of times,” Hermione smiled and took the picture.

She placed it on her forehead and took her wand. Harry gulped.

Oh, please 'Mione, be as good as I hope you are!

Hermione flicked her wrist and spoke loudly:

”ADSIMULO!”

Harry watched as Hermione grew taller, paler and well... redheaded. The woman in front of him smiled as she turned around to get a look at herself. Harry just stood there with an open mouth. Suddenly 'Lily's face grew serious.

Oh my!... Mom!...

”We don't have long. It lasts about 15 minutes or so. Ready the camera.”

Harry turned and set the camera to take 3 snaps in a minute before he skipped to a chair in front of the desk. 'Lily' went by him with another chair and sat down besides him.

Harry tried his best not to look up at her but kept sneaking glances.

Is this what she was like in person? Is this what I would have felt like sitting next to her?

”Put your arm around me,” Harry blurted out.

”Huh?” said 'Lily'.

”She would have done that,” Harry explained.

”Oh, yeah, of course!”

The woman draped her arms around him and smiled at the camera. Harry couldn't help but smile himself. He only managed to look up just in time for the camera begin taking the snaps. 3 Polaroids fell to the floor. Harry wanted to get up and look at them but he didn't want his mother... Erh.. Hermione to let go of him. He didn't have to make the choice because 'Lily' got up from the chair and walked over to pick up the pictures. Harry watched her with wide eyes.

”We will have to wait a few minutes. I need to change back before we go,” she said.

”Uh, huh.”

Harry got up and went to look at the snapshots that were slowly appearing on the paper. He held one of them up and watched as two smiling faces appeared. He choked on a sob and coughed in an effort to mask it. Once all three picture where developed he stuck them in his pocket and turned to 'Lily'.

”Hey, Hermione. Thanks. You didn't have to do this for me.”

”It's nice to have treasures. I just want you to be happy, Harry,” smiled the woman.

Harry blinked trying to prevent tears from flowing. Even if the words came out in Hermione's voice, they had been spoken by Lily's lips and the thought of those words coming from her was almost too much.

”Now we wait,” said 'Lily' and sat down again while Harry placed the camera and book in the bag.

20 minutes later anything had yet to happen and the woman began to look nervous.

”What's happening?” Harry asked.

Oh, no. Oh, no! This can't be happening! It just can't be happening!

”I don't know. I feel... dizzy. I should...” said the woman as she got up and promptly fell to the floor.

”HERMIONE!”

Harry pulled her up as 'Lily' stumbled to her feet and they staggered towards the door.

”I can't leave. They will see..” she said between breaths.

Harry ran to his feet to get the the cloak but then realized that he could not possibly keep Hermione upright and keep the cloak on her at the same time.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus Snape was creeping down the corridor. He was sure that blasted little Hufflepuff ran down here! Snape stopped and listened carefully for any sign of students out of bed.

”Hmrpf! Lumos!”

The light glowed in the empty corridor.

Where on earth is that horrid girl? She thinks she can outrun me? Well, she has another thing coming! Hmm, perhaps she DID go downstairs. Blast! She'll be halfway to her common room by now!

Severus sighed – having been deprived of a capture and thus the only possible joy of patrolling. As much as he wished to stop these constant violations of curfew he didn't have much faith in the students' ability to cease their nightly activities. What was the point of his being thorough when the other staff members let them run amok every other night?

Just then something caught his attention. A faint sound but the great bat's ears were as good as they had ever been. Could it be the little Hufflepuff? No, it had come from the floor just above him.

Probably Potter and the fan club.

Severus smirked. This was the perfect opportunity for an ambush and he'd be daft if he didn't take it!

Just you wait, you little brats! You're about to get the scare of a lifetime!

With that, Severus put out the light and crept back towards the stairs. He did his best to be as quiet as possible. This time no one was running from him. As he made his way up the stairs he could hear voices. He strained his ears to hear what was being said but could only hear muffled sounds. One of the voices was much louder. He walked down the hall as he noticed a glow of light coming from a classroom – the door slightly ajar. The louder voice was now becoming clearer.

”Just try.. I'll... Yes..”

AHA!

Severus kept his face from smiling as he came up to the door and readied himself by putting on the most icy glare he could manage.

I've got you now, Potter!

Just then the door flew open. Severus didn't even take notice of Harry nor the expression of utter terror on the boys face as he starred into large green eyes framed by red hair. His eyes went wide. The glare disappeared and gave way to surprise. His limps were frozen and he gasped for air.

”Li... Lily?” He stammered.

And then the darkness surrounded him in a cold embrace.
To be continued...
Like sand through fingers by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Here's the next part! I hope you like it!

Harry is left with a fainted professor Snape but there's also Hermione to worry about!
Harry wasn't quite sure if he had screamed or not. His mouth was open but there was no sound. Had there been a sound? There seemed to be no sound in world at all. He had stopped dead in his tracks – glued the the spot as he starred and (silently?) screamed into two dark eyes. Had he cried out his mother's name? Hadn't he heard something? No? The eyes where in fact not looking at him at all but in those brief seconds he felt he'd fall into their darkness forever.

Then something changed. The dark eyes went completely white as his professor's face fell to the floor for what seemed an eternity. Harry was almost certain he felt it do so. No, scratch that, he WAS feeling it fall! Wait, was he? Then a sudden realization hit him as he felt something slip out of his arms.

NO! No! No! Not again! Hermione!

He suddenly found himself turning. How, he wasn't sure because Harry surely wasn't aware of when he'd decided to do so nor when he had regained his ability to move. He turned just to see the figure of 'Lily' slip from his hands and collapse onto the floor.

”Hermione!” he shrieked.

He stood there with his hands in front of him. His fingers were spread out as if he was ready to receive something. It took him a moment to realize he had actually spoken and then he immediately covered his mouth with his hand reflexively. The cry had already escaped him though and he now stood there covering his mouth, starring at the glamored Hermione's limp body on the floor.

Harry fell to his knees and looked from 'Lily' to professor Snape and back again.

What will I do? What will I do? Hermione what should I do? Oh, damn! Why did I have to tell her? No, why did I have to agree to this? This is my fault! Hermione! Oh no, she's not moving! What if she's dead? What if she's hurt? Oh, wait...

As Harry came to the conclusion that having a panic attack then and there wasn't the best idea, he rushed to 'Lily's side and shook her body as hard as he could.

”Hermione? Hermione!”

A faint groan came from the woman on the floor, but she did not open her eyes nor did she move a muscle. Harry's eyes went wide as he saw the colour had drained from her cheeks completely and that tears were running down them now.

”Hermione, wake up! Wake up! You have to go to the infirmary! 'Mione, please! Just, please!”

Harry was now crying as well. He kept shaking her as much as he could, but he soon found that it was futile. Should he run for help? Should he keep shaking her? Wait... Wasn't he forgetting something?

Harry slowly turned his head and found Snape lying on the floor behind – half covered by his own cloak. Harry gulped and then a single word escaped his lips without him realizing:

”Shit...”

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus was lost in the darkness. There was nothing there. No dreams, no memory of anything having been there. He felt like he was waking up while still in a nightmare. The first thing that hit him was a sharp pain in the back of his head then followed by a pain in his chest.

Did I take a sleeping draught? Did I...?

But he didn't have time to gather his thoughts. Somewhere, far above him, he felt something. No, that wasn't quite right. He HEARD something. It was muffled at first but it became clearer and turned to a loud desperate pleading.

”Professor! Please! Wake up! You have to wake up! Please! Wake up! Wake up! WAKE UP!”

Severus groaned. What was this? What was happening? Was this a nightmare? What was that voice? A girl? No, it sounded like...

Why is Potter in my nightmares?

Severus suddenly felt a hard surface beneath him and groaned as as the pain in his head seemed to increase.

It's all so foggy. What is.. Why can't I remember? Why is it dark?

He suddenly realized with some embarrassment that his eyes were closed. His eyelids felt heavy and he struggled to open them. As he managed to open them slightly he squinted as light shone down upon him from above.

”Professor! Wake up! Please!”

There it is again! That voice! Didn't I dream of Potter? Did I?

”Erh..”

Severus pushed himself slightly off the floor before slowly raising his hand to shelter his eyes from the cursed bright light right in front of him.

”Professor! We have to help her! Please! I can't get her up!”

Potter!

It hadn't been a dream. Where on earth was he? And why was Potter yelling at him?

”W... What?” he said as his eyes adjusted to the light and the source became visible.

In front of him sat Harry Potter – framed by the light coming from the doorway. Tears were running down his cheeks and he looked at Severus with an expression of terror that momentarily had the potions master wondering if the Dark Lord was standing behind him. Then the blasted boy opened his mouth once again.

”Please, sir!”

Severus was just about to question the boy but as he sat up his eyes fell on a redheaded figure sprawled on the floor beside him – her face turned away from him.

Just then it all came back and hit him in the face so hard it knocked all the air out of him. For the next second or so he did nothing but stare at the lifeless body in horror.

”Professor! Are you well? Please! I can't carry her! Please help me save Hermione!” he heard the Potter boy sob.

”Her... Hermione?” Severus whispered and suddenly he was on his feet.

Ignoring his dizziness and the pain in his head and chest he jumped to her side and turned the woman onto her back. Her eyes were closed but a low rattling sound came from her mouth indicating that she was still breathing.

”Sir, I don't know what went wrong! She said she it would end but it didn't and then she fell and I don't know what to do and is she going to die? And...”

Severus was startled by the voice behind him. He spun around with the speed of a Firebolt.

”Potter! Shut it! Unless you plan to tell exactly what you did!”

His eyes narrowed to a glare as he starred at the weeping boy. Harry choked on a sob and nodded.

”Hermione did a spell, sir! She said it would...”

”A glamour spell?” Severus interrupted.

The boy nodded.

”Yes sir!”

The professor felt his heartbeat slow a bit.

So it really is Granger. For a moment I really thought...

Then he let out a low growl as he felt his heartbeat rise once again. He had a fairly good idea what had happened here.

The boy would know if... Who am I kidding? He's useless!

”Potter, grab everything you and Granger brought up here and follow me. IMMEDIATELY!” he commanded as he turned back facing the redhead on the floor.

Behind him he heard noises as the Potter brat scrambled to his feet and hurried to fetch something. Severus didn't have time to take notice of him. He scooped the woman up into his arms and rose.

Just for a mere glimpse of a moment he was still as he looked down at the woman in his arms. She looked almost peaceful. As if she was sleeping. Severus felt a strange sensation as if his chest had just been stabbed with an icicle. He didn't take the time to dwell on the meaning of that, however as he held the woman tighter and went down the corridor so quickly one might have sworn he was flying – neither caring nor noticing if the boy was following.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Harry was struggling to breathe due to a combination of the sobs he had not yet managed to stop and running like a lunatic trying keep up with Snape.

Why doesn't he slow down? I can barely... No! Wait! I don't want him to! I need him to save Hermione and quickly!

Harry heaved as he ran as fast as his legs could carry him. He was still falling behind though.

Where are we going? This isn't the way to the infirmary? Surely, he doesn't mean to let her die?

Before Harry could begin thinking of how Snape was the lowest creature on earth and just what kind of torturous death he'd inflict on the evil murderous dungeon bat, he realized that while this was indeed not the route to the infirmary, it was leading them down into the dungeons.

”What is he...?”

But just then Snape turn around a corner and Harry lost sight of him. Still he ran further down heading towards Snape's office, which his subconscious had decided was the most likely destination.

Indeed, when Harry finally reached the door it was wide open. He ran inside seeing Lily/Hermione lying on Snape's desk on top of several bits of essays – parchment littered across the surrounding floor supporting the theory that a large pile of papers had been roughly pushed aside to make room for the woman.

Harry dropped the bag on the floor and fell to his knees gasping for air. Just then Snape came whirling out of another door with a vial in his hand. He quickly grabbed 'Lily's head and lifted her slightly up. Harry looked up – still gasping and saw a fizzy orange liquid was flowing from Hermione's mouth now. Snape uncorked the vial with only one hand and forced the bluish-grey potion inside down her throat.

”Come on, Miss Granger. Swallow, you can do it! Try! Now!” he commanded the seemingly unconscious woman.

But surprisingly she couldn't be completely out for after a few week attempts that sounded like she was gurgling it and sent chills down Harry's spine it went down and Snape slowly let her lie back down on to the desk.

Harry turned his eyes to the floor as he suddenly became aware of the pain in his chest as his heart attempted to escape the ribcage. He wrapped his arms around himself and half cried – half coughed in pain. When he looked up again he almost stopped breathing entirely as his eyes met Snape's, who was glaring back at him with an intensity that Harry was sure could set him on fire.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Not much had gone through the professors mind as Severus had rushed Lily – NO, Miss Granger to his office. To be honest he wasn't even quite sure why he had brought her there instead of the infirmary. Everything stood still until the moment he had heard Miss Granger finally swallow the stabilizing potion. Now he suddenly felt a swarm of feelings coming forth from the back of his mind.

First came confusion then fear, sorrow and oddly enough a sense of loss.

No, it couldn't be.

Just then he heard a horrid sound coming from the floor and looked up to find the Potter brat looking like he was about to be sick all over the bag in front of him.

Now every other emotion was pushed aside as Severus felt the anger begin to rise within him. The boy looked up and Severus glared at him as best he could. He starred down the boy for a few second before he bellowed:

”Potter! Get up!”

The boy stumbled to his feet. The potions master walked around the desk and came towards the boy.

”Is she going to be alright?” he heard the boy whimper.

”I haven't the slightest idea!” Severus sneered.

”POTTER! You have exactly three seconds to tell me EXACTLY what you where doing!”

”I'm sorry, sir! We were... That is... Hermione cast a spell on herself...”

”I can see that, you stupid boy, WHAT SPELL?”

”I... That is...”

And then to the professor's surprise the boy went for the bag and struggled with it as he pulled out a book. He then began to frantically flip the pages – clearly searching for something.

Merlin save me! Those spells shouldn't be read about until the fifth year – let alone ATTEMPTED by SECOND YEARS!

The boy appeared to have settled on a page and was eying it carefully as if to make sure this was really the one. Severus snatched the book out of his hands before he could react. He took one long glance at the page before he slammed the book unto the only corner of the desk not occupied by the Lily impostor.

”Of all the idiotic, senseless things you wretched brats have done this has be the most absurd, pointless way you have ever attempted to get yourselves killed! I have a good mind to...”
But he didn't get to finish that sentence because just then the boy cried out.

”Never mind, you greasy old git! 'Mione is DYING! And all you do is stand there and yell at me! Can you even do anything at all to help her?!”

Severus didn't flinch. It took every ounce of self control he had not to strangle the boy then and there.

”I can and I will,” he replied with venom-laced softness.

Potter just stood there staring at him with huge green eyes as tears kept coming. Severus sneered.

”Potter unless you are going to tell me exactly what Miss Granger did, may I suggest you get your useless self out of my way and take a seat?”

What is this? Some cruel joke they intended to play on me? No, Potter wouldn't know. He couldn't know. Surely...

”Professor, she said she could do the spell on herself. She said it wasn't that complicated. She said it would stop after 15 minutes but then it didn't and she felt ill and...”

The boy suddenly pulled out a photograph.

”She said all she needed was the picture, sir!”

Severus pinched the photograph off the boy before he could do anything the prevent it and turned it to study it. He took at deep breath as he starred at a photograph of Lily smiling up at him. He had to silently scold himself for being affected by a picture considering what was lying on his desk behind him.

”Foolish girl,” he mumbled to himself.

”Don't talk about Hermione that way!” the boy snapped.

”Mr. Potter if you insist on being a complete idiot, get out of my sight!”

”I'm not leaving her!”

”Then may I suggest you keep your mouth closed? I may have promised to see that Miss Granger survives this ordeal, but I've made no such promises regarding yourself.”

Severus didn't wait for a reply. He turned around and promptly turned a chair into a bed. He then proceeded to lift the now completely unconscious 'Lily' unto it. He then took out a handkerchief and wiped the orange fluid off her face. Lily's face. Severus caught himself being unnecessarily careful as he did it. He felt as though every time he touched her that face might shatter into a million pieces and disappear like sand between his fingers.

It's Granger. Stop it. It's Granger.

He turned around to find that the boy had actually taken a seat by one of the desks he kept there for detentions and was completely quiet. He raised a eyebrow in suspicion.

”What?” he sneered.

”Sir, why... Should we get her to the hospital wing?” the boy finally asked.

”Mr. Potter, would you like to explain to Madam Pomfrey, why Miss Granger looks this way?”

The boy turned white and then just as quickly scarlet with embarrassment. Severus smirked. He was going to enjoy questioning the boy about this. Somewhere in the back of his mind a tiny voice whispered that he wasn't about to let go of Lily's face – even if it was currently worn by a stupid preteen girl. He'd have it for as long as it lasted.

”I believe I can handle the situation, Mr. Potter, so there's no need to disturb Madam Pomfrey at this hour, but of course you wouldn't mind would you? You seem to show no regard for rules nor any sympathy for the people you count on to clean up your mess!”

”I didn't know if I should run to get her, sir! I was so scared when Hermione collapsed that I hardly even considered that you had just fainted. I guess I just panicked!”

Severus froze.

No. No, no, no!

A frown was fixed on his face as he stood there letting the realization hit him as he remembered.

The Potter brat saw me faint!
To be continued...
A tale about liars by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
This took me forever due to the recent tragic events icily embracing my creativity. Here we are ^_^

Should I go? Should I stay? Why did this have to happen? How did it happen? Didn't Hermione do it right? She always does it right! What on earth is the old bat doing, just standing there? What is he thinking about? I hope he doesn't ask me who Hermione is supposed to be! Who am I kidding? It's Snape! I could lie? What if I said she's a Weasley? Would he buy it? Possibly? What if I just leave? He asked me to leave after all. Maybe he won't ask me. Maybe he'll forget. No, I can't just leave! Hermione needs me.

Harry's head was spinning. He kept opening and closing his eyes as he tried to concentrate and bring the world into focus.

”Stay.”

The icy voice caused Harry to jump as it reached his ears. He looked up at the professor and flushed with anger. What was Snape doing speaking to him like a dog? The man's demeanor told Harry he had better not ask that question. Snape turned around and once again directed his attention towards Hermione.

”I've stabilized her for now but this is going to take a while and it won't be the least bit pleasant.”

”Can't you just undo the glamour?” inquired Harry.

Snape placed a hand on Lily's forehead before transforming an empty jar into a pillow and placing it under her head. The woman made a small huffing sound as she was momentarily raised.

”I could. However, that will not cure the poisoning and by now simply waving a wand at her will not be the best idea. Do you honestly think she's strong enough to transform as she is, Potter?”

Harry got up and walked over to the cot.

”Poisoned?” he whispered as he reached out to touch her hand.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus' hand flew forward and slapped the boys hand out of the way. He didn't register the look of surprise on the boy's face as he sneered:

”Don't touch her!”

- James Potter!

”Don't ever touch her!”

The words came out with more hostility than he intended - not that he intended to speak them at all. The boy was just standing there – looking at him with wide emerald eyes.

”S...Sir?” stammered the boy.

Tears were once again forming in the corners of Potter's eyes and Severus took a deep breath. Then another. Then yet another.

What am I doing? I'm going to have to obliviate the living daylights out of the boy!

Severus regained control over himself. That would have to wait. There was nothing he'd like to do more than obliviate the boy of having been there tonight – let alone seeing Severus faint, then heal the girl and send on her merry way with just as empty a mind but he couldn't. Not yet anyway. There was still the mystery of why on earth the Granger girl had spelled herself to look like the love of his life in the first place! Of course she'd done it because Potter ordered her to! Just what game was he playing?

Severus narrowed his eyes and grabbed the boy by his shoulders before marching him over to the desk.

”Hey! Pro... Professor! What are you...?” the boy protested.

Severus grabbed the spellbook and slammed it down in front of Potter.

”Read!” he instructed.

The boy looked at him with a mixture of confusion and fear.

”That is if you remember how to,” Severus added hastily.

Potter turned his head and studied the pages.

”I don't understand, sir! I thought Hermione cast the spell correctly!” he said as he shook his in defeat and starred the letters.

”She did,” Severus replied menacingly.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

”And just how she was able to on her first try is beyond me.”

Huh?!

”What you mean?” inquired Harry now focusing entirely upon the potions master.

Snape raised an eyebrow and starred back at him.

”Try again, Mr. Potter.”

Harry grimaced.

”What do you mean, Sir?”

”It's quite clear to me now how you might find yourself in this amount of trouble, considering the fact that you appear to be an imbecile and Miss Granger appears to be unable to read.”

”But you just said...”

”Potter, look! Care to read that aloud for me?”

Snape pointed a long thin finger at a passage in the book.

”Ehm... 'For 15 minute uses only'. But sir, Hermione already knew that...”

”By Merlin, surely no one is this dense!” Snape interrupted.

”But sir, we waited but she didn't change back!”

Snape lowered his head and pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. His long black hair fell forward over his face. He sighed deeply.

”Potter, you have no idea how lucky you are that I found you tonight. Miss Granger would likely be dead now if not for that potion!”

Some help you were lying about on the floor.

Harry suppressed a smile at that thought and looked over at 'Lily' who was once again drooling orange fluids.

”Since I have to spell it out for you, Potter, the spell doesn't cease after 15 minutes – it must be TERMINATED before 15 minutes!”

”Oh,” Harry replied silently and starred at Snape who now raised his head and looked down at him.

His already thin lips had become almost nonexistent as he pressed them together and he was glaring daggers.

Oh, indeed! Do you know why only the theory of this kind of glamour is taught in school? I assume you don't! Because, Mr. Potter, not only is it very difficult and has too many variables – is extremely dangerous! In short, boy, it is poisonous.”

”How can it be poisonous? It's a spell! Sir!” Harry blurted out.

”It is more than just a regular glamour. Several of those spells are only taught in school as examples. Several, this one included, were discarded by their inventors because they either did not work as intended or are simply too dangerous! The longer you are under the spell – the more poisoned you become. It's not dangerous in small amounts but Granger has had more than enough to do serious damage!”

Oh, no! Hermione, how did you miss that!?

”That is the price you pay for not turning the page,” Snape said as if reading Harry's mind and flipped the page where at the top even Harry could clearly see the word Warnings in a box.

However, in Hermione's defense it really did look like the description had ended on the previous page due to the ornamentation at the bottom.

Harry suddenly felt a twinge of fury, but he was quite sure what he was angry about. At bit at Hermione, he supposed, for not being as perfect as she always where, but that was ridiculous he quickly told himself. He was angry at himself for not noticing either, but he hadn't really been responsible for studying the spell had he? He might be angry at Snape for sticking his nose into this but Snape was saving Hermione wasn't he? If only he could do so without being an absolute prat about it – yes that would have to do! Harry raised his eyes and glared at Snape.

”How was I supposed to know?” he muttered.

Stupid, evil git!

”You weren't supposed to know! You were supposed to know not to break the rules! You were supposed to know not to practice advanced magic – not to mention alone, at night, after curfew! Am I making myself clear?”

Snape starred at Harry for a second or two clearly expecting an answer but none came and Harry didn't even meet his gaze. The professor simply turned and began searching a nearby cupboard instead. The sound of glass vials clinking together was the only sound other than the faint moans coming from Hermione.

Harry looked at her. There was nothing he wanted more than to run over to her, hold her and beg her forgiveness for getting her into this. However, he didn't move an inch as he was afraid Snape would start yelling at him again if he touched her. The man was being weird. Sure, he was every bit as nasty as usual but something was off and Harry wasn't quite sure why.

Maybe he hit his head when he fainted? Why did he even faint to begin with?

Harry unknowingly smirked thinking about what Ron would say when he told him. He was bound to laugh himself to death. Harry reconsidered. How could he tell Ron? He'd have to tell him what they were doing out in the first place. Harry blushed. Ron was bound to think him a big baby – crying over a photo.

The view of the Lily imposter's weak body was momentarily obstructed as a big black figure swept in front of her. Harry watched as Snape lifted her head and tried to get yet another potion in her. This time it was a bit more of an effort and going by the look on her face the potion had to be absolutely disgusting. It looked that way too. Harry likened the colour to bird droppings and it appeared to have a thick consistency.

Snape managed to get almost the entire vial in her, though a bit of it ended elsewhere on her face during her initial struggles against him. Harry wanted to ask a thousand questions but instead he moved back to the desk he'd previously been seated at in an attempt to be as much out of the way as possible. He held his hands up in front of his face like he was keenly studying his own hands and peaked through his fingers at the potions master.

The man had finished giving Hermione the potion and was currently wiping away the mix of orange drool and potion that covered her face. When he finished he banished the used cloth and stood completely still looking down at her with the vial still in hand. Harry held his breath as he watched Snape study his mother's face.

Oh, no! I bet he's wondering who she is now!

Of course Harry had no idea just how wrong he was.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus lied to the boy. He could have easily transformed her back and healed Miss Granger in her natural form. It was just that he didn't want to.

But Potter doesn't need to know that.

Severus smirked, knowing the boy was starring him in the back. The question now was what to do with the brat. He might as well get some answers while he decided what to do.

”So..” Severus began as he slowly turned around to face the boy.

”We've clarified what happened, now I would very much like to know why.”

The boy showed no inclination towards moving but simply looked at Severus through his fingers.

”Stop that, Potter! Sit up strait and look at me!” Severus began as he crossed his arms and watched the boy jerk right up and lower his hands.

”Now, would you mind very much telling me what exactly Miss Granger is supposed to be?”

If it had been in some other connection, Severus might have enjoyed the expression of terror that appeared on the boy's face but in this instance it only made him furious.

”Well? Answer me, you arrogant little...”

”Please, sir. I... I'd rather not,” said a small voice below him.

Severus raised an eyebrow.

”You're not getting a choice, Potter. You will explain yourself.”

The boy squirmed in his seat and blushed visibly.

”But sir, surely it doesn't...” Potter began.

”Don't test my patience boy. It most certainly does matter,” replied Severus.

Merlin, haven't I been punished enough? Do I have to deal with this horrid little Potter-clone as well?

”It's just... You see... Hermione said she'd lost her scarf and then I said... No, wait! Snape, the thing is I just..”

Professor Snape, to you! And what on earth are you rambling about?”

The boy paused as if he was considering something. Severus looked at him with suspicion.

Any minute now. Any minute.

Potter suddenly found the empty desk very interesting.

”Hermione was just trying to help, sir. It's not her fault.”

”Hrmpf,” Severus groaned.

Oh, isn't it?

”She's responsible for her actions, Mr. Potter, as are you!”

The boy grimaced and momentarily locked eyes with his professor before speedily fixing his gaze on the desktop again. The moment had been enough. Severus could see the cogs turning in Potter's head.

All two of them.

”Professor, must I? Isn't it more important to...”

”You must. Now you answer me before I decide you're more useful in a jar,” replied Severus icily and gestured towards a shelf filled with glass jars containing various limps of various creatures. The boy bit his lip.

”She's supposed to look like someone we needed a picture of,” said Potter quietly.

Come on. Out with it.

”And who would that person be, Mr. Potter?”

The boy eyes darted from left to right.

”Uhm.”

”Who?” repeated Severus and took as step towards the boy.

”Mary Weasley, Ron's cousin.”

Liar!

To be continued...
Believe me! by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Severus considers what to do with Harry...
Harry felt like it was his turn to hit the floor. He just stood there, biting the inside of his cheek, waiting for a reaction. The moment felt like it was dragging on and on.

Please believe that. Please believe that.

Harry forced himself to continue the eye contact even though he felt like Snape was starring at his soul. He felt completely naked and vulnerable. Harry wanted to disconnect the eye contact and swallow the spit accumulating in his mouth but he was afraid that would give him away. Snape didn't even flinch.

He's just going to tell everyone!

Harry could feel his heart beating fast. His palms felt sweaty. In the dark eyes of his professor he saw every snicker and every taunt he could imagine Malfoy making. He saw the other students whisper behind his back and the staff's sympathetic looks.

Oh, the slimy snakes will have a field day!

Never mind the Slytherins! He might learn to endure their mocking of 'Big baby Potter who misses his momma so much he turns Granger into her' but what was worse was the thought of everyone knowing about it and feeling sorry for him. He did not want to be pitied.

Then Snape spoke and Harry held his breath.

”And why, Mr. Potter, should you need a picture of Mr. Weasley's cousin? And so desperately that you went to such great lengths in producing it?”

This was not the response Harry had anticipated. He was prepared for Snape not buying it and yelling at him and he had hoped for a simple nod of acceptance and that Snape would then turn his attention back to Hermione. He was not prepared to be questioned further.

”Erm,” replied Harry.

”I'm waiting, Mr. Potter,” Snape sneered impatiently.

”It's kind of a long story,” Harry began as he desperately tried stalling for time to come up with an explanation.

”Seeing as I'm going to be up all night tending to Miss Granger, I find myself with more than enough time to hear it,” Snape stated.

”Well, erh...” Harry continued.

Oh, bloody hell! What the hell were you thinking? Now what?

Harry was halfway considering just coming clean and spilling it before his thoughts once again returned to the likely outcome of Snape possessing such information.

”Do I need to repeat myself?”

The potions master was clearly becoming more and more furious as he stood there in front of Harry.

”No,” Harry replied.

He slowly pushed himself backwards in his seat and silently thanked the small desk for standing between himself and the great bat.

”Are you going to answer me then?” said the man in a low ominous voice.

”No.”

Harry grabbed the edge of the desk and dug his finger nails into it wishing he had been able to think on his feet and come up with a proper lie. As it was he considered this the only move he could make. Harry lowered his gaze not wanting to see the reaction.

Silence. And then:

Excuse me?

The words were almost a whisper but Harry didn't fail to notice the tone of the voice that seemed to promise him that those were likely to be the last words he ever heard.

”I said no,” Harry said with a trembling voice.

”It's private.”

Harry closed his eyes and waited.

”POTTER! You will answer me this instant! Don't you dare disobey me!” Snape's voice thundered above him.

Harry felt the tears beginning to fall but there was nothing he could do.

”No.”

This time he was not left waiting for a reaction. Then next moment he felt the desk flying out of his grasp and heard the loud bang as it crashed into the wall. Before he had had a chance to react, he felt two strong hands grabbing his upper arms and hoisting him off the chair.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus was not quite sure why he had grabbed the boy – or rather so he told himself. He was not about to dwell on how much he wanted strangle the miniature James Potter at that moment as he was much too concerned the loss of control of his temper. He was just about to deposit the boy on the floor in front of him and yell his head off when the bright green eyes opened. They starred at him full of fear and then the boy cried:

”IT'S MY MUM, OKAY?!”

Severus put the crying boy down. He grabbed Potter's shoulders and shook the boy once, lightly. The boy only sobbed louder at this and Severus frowned realizing his 'for Merlin's sake, pull yourself together' gesture had produced the opposite effect he had intended.

Count to five. One. Two. Three. Four. Five.

Severus sighed and lightly shook the boy once again.

”Potter? Potter! Get a hold of yourself!”

What does he want? A hug and a cup of hot chocolate? Self-important brat! He lies to my face and then dares to through a tantrum? He may be able to fool Minerva but if he thinks I'm about to pity him...

”P... Please, sir! Please, d... don't tell anyone!” sobbed the boy.

Severus raised an eyebrow in confusion.

”Potter?”

”Please! Don't tell them!”

Oh, really? What is this about?

”Potter, I suggest you stop that incessant sobbing and tell me the truth,” Severus replied.

The boy was trembling but Severus didn't let go of him.

”You're just going to tell the Slytherins!” Potter whimpered.

Severus had to keep himself from smirking. There was no way he was going to be mentioning this to anyone as it was, but Potter's pleas gave him an idea that might just save him the trouble of obliviating the memory of his fainting from the minds of the children.

”I don't know, Potter. The headmaster will want to know of this – not to mention your head of house! And as for your classmates this might serve as an excellent example to show them just how dangerous...”

”NO! Please don't!” Potter cried.

Severus sighed dramatically – trying very much to seem like his hands were tied on the matter.

”Mr. Potter, how could I possibly not tell them?”

The boy starred at him with watery emerald eyes.

”Please, sir! I'll tell you everything! And I won't ever do it again!”

”I am expected to report such things, Potter, I cannot go around keeping your secrets for you. Besides I'm sure you'll be out and about boasting over you rule breaking to all your fans yourself come morning!”

”I don't... I am not... I mean, I wouldn't want anyone to know!”

”Are you this desperate to keep this a secret?” inquired Severus with a silky voice.

The boy nodded his head and then paused as if he was considering something.

”Please,” he replied.

Excellent.

”Very well,” said Severus and let go of the boy.

”You'll keep it a secret?” asked the boy as if he could hardly believe it.

”I will consider it. Now, tell me why Miss Granger felt the need to turn into your mother.”

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Harry felt conflicted. What was that supposed to mean? Was Snape going to keep the secret? Could he even trust the man's word?

When Harry had cried out the identity of the person Hermione had tried to glamour herself as he had been scared for his life. He wasn't quite sure what he had imagined Snape was about to do to him but he was quite sure he'd become a potion by the end of it and the words had just escaped him as survival instincts kicked in.

He'd already told him that Hermione was impersonating his mother, what did it matter now if he knew the rest? Harry was quite sure that if he wasn't going to be ridiculed over the truth, he was going to be ridiculed over what ever assumptions Snape would make about the events. Knowing what assumptions the professor had previously made about Harry's character and home life, he wasn't about to let that happen. Besides he still wasn't completely convinced the danger of becoming a potion ingredient had passed.

”Yes, sir,” Harry said quietly.

”Why don't you sit back down, Potter, I'll need to tend to your little friend while you recount your fantastic tale.”

Harry nodded and sat down while Snape returned to Hermione and began waving his wand over her. Harry watched as he performed a diagnostic and carefully kept the woman's face as clean as possible with the orange drool continuing to flow.

”I don't hear your voice, Mr. Potter, and as much as I would like to be exempt from listening to it all together I need you to start talking now,” Snape reminded him – his back still turned to Harry.

Harry took a deep breath.

”Hermioneglamouredherselfsowecouldtakeapictureofmeandmymumtogether,” Harry mumbled.

”Potter!”

”I'm sorry, sir. We needed a picture of me and my mum together,” Harry repeated.

Harry carefully watched the potions master for a reaction but there seemed to be none.

”Why?” Snape inquired in a deep ominous voice and Harry suddenly felt as though he'd gotten a question wrong in class.

”I... Well, I had just one picture of us but...”

”But you threw it away somewhere?” Snape sneered as he suddenly twirled around to face the boy – his robes floating shortly in the air.

”Honestly, Potter, I am hardly surprised but to risk Miss Granger's life because you cannot keep your things in order that has to be a new low even for you! Do you care so little for others?”

”But sir, I didn't...”

”It doesn't matter whether you knew this would happen or not, Mr. Potter, we've already covered that! How many minutes had she been glamoured when I found you?”

”About 25 minutes, I think, but professor...”

”Hmm!” said Snape and waved a hand to silence Harry.

The professor looked at the Lily impostor with an expression of contemplation. Harry felt like crying, screaming and kicking the wall. Normally he could ignore Snape's words or at least to some degree, but to be accused of not caring at all whether Hermione lived or died was devastating.

Snape appeared to have either sensed something was going on or heard Harry's increasingly faster breathing for just then he barked:

”Potter, if you're about to throw another tantrum I urge you to reconsider before I lose my patience.”

Harry got off the chair and crept into a corner of the room. He sat down on the floor and wrapped his arms around his knees.

I didn't mean for this to happen! Why does he always make everything my fault? Why couldn't McGonagall have found us? Heck, I might even have preferred Filch!

”Miss Granger will need a potion every hour and I must keep a close eye on her. I would order you to return to your dorm but I have little faith you would obey me and I cannot escort you there before Miss Granger improves.”

Harry nodded even though he knew Snape wasn't looking at him.

”I don't want to leave her, sir,” he whispered so quietly he was surprised that Snape could hear him.

”Regardless of your wishes, Mr. Potter, you will be returned to Gryffindor Tower once I am comfortable with leaving Miss Granger unattended.”

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus was carefully considering his options.

I could still do it. Right now. How would I explain to the brat that he is in my office? Perhaps in the tower? No, that's too risky. If the old man found out...

”Can I help you, sir?” said a timid voice behind him and pulled Severus away from his thoughts.

May you, Potter, and I hardly think your assistance is needed,” he replied.

”May I come over to her, professor?” the boy tried.

Severus paused.

I'll have to find something to occupy Potter with before he drives me completely insane. He'll be the death of me for certain – he very nearly succeeded tonight!

”You may sit by her but don't you touch her without permission! She's gravely ill and doesn't need to be bothered by you. Take the chair – no quietly boy! Place it there! Yes!” Severus instructed.

”I don't happen to have an endless supply of that potion since this is hardly a common occurrence,” he continued, glaring at the boy who was crawling onto the chair. ”And I will have to brew more during the night!”

”Sir, I could help with that,” the boy tried.

”Potter, you'd likely blow it up in your own face and one ill student in my office is more than enough!” Severus groaned at the thought of Potter let loose in his lab.

On the other hand, I could have him chopping Merilaroot until his hands fall off.

”Perhaps, Mr Potter, you may prepare a few ingredients. However, if you do not apply yourself or do not do as your told, I will have you sit on your hands for the rest of the time you remain here. Is that clear?”

”Yes, sir,” the boy replied with his eyes fixed upon 'Lily'.

”Are you listening to me?” Severus sneered and watched the boy almost jump off the chair.

”Yes! I mean, yes sir!” Potter shrieked.

”Excellent,” Severus smirked.

He raised his wand and pointed it towards the desk he had flung into the wall, returned it to it's original position and cast a reparo on a very wobbly leg.

”I'll fetch the ingredients for you to prepare. Do not move, boy! I shall return shortly!”

The boy nodded. Severus caught a glimpse of something in his eyes.

Not listening again! What on earth is he plotting now?

”Two minutes, Potter!” Severus sighed and turned his back to the boy.

He walked towards one of the only visible door besides the one leading out into the dungeons.

”Sir?”

Severus paused.

”Yes?” he growled – not bothering to turn and look at the boy.

”I...”

Severus sighed and put his hand on the doorknob.

”I won't tell if you won't tell, sir!”

You horrid little brat! What do you think you're playing at?!
To be continued...
Dealing with the devil by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Certain elephants in certain rooms cannot be avoided.
Severus wanted to turn around and hex audacity out of the schoolboy but he couldn't trust himself to leave the boy breathing. At least not after losing his temper only minutes earlier!

This was one of those few moments where Severus Snape found himself without a proper retort. So instead he opted for giving himself a few minutes to consider the situation and simply replied:

”What's that, Potter?”

He then opened the door and continued as if he hadn't actually heard Potter's remark. He stepped into the storage and closed the door behind him before he let out a sigh.

This is unbelievable! The little monster is actually trying to blackmail me! Innocent, indeed! If only Albus could see this! See what that brat is capable of it would wipe that smile right of his face once and for all!

But of course involving the headmaster wasn't an option. Severus glanced towards one of the shelves which also doubled as the entrance into his private lab. He wondered whether he should set up everything for the potion while he was here but decided simply to gather what he came for. As he picked up a knife and continued to search for the roots needed, he continued to weigh his options.

The boy is insufferable! Who does he think he's dealing with? Doesn't he know he could find himself on the receiving end of a curse any moment?

But despite the utter disgust Severus felt for the boy at the moment, he had to admit that he had not expected Potter to propose such a 'deal'. In fact it reminded him of... his Slytherins.

The man shuddered and made his way towards the door before stopping.

What am I going to do? For Merlin's sake! It's only a small boy! If you can lie to the Dark Lord's face – surely you can handle James Potter's brat!

Then Severus opened the door and went to deal with the little devil.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Harry was sitting at Hermione's side watching the fizzy orange drool bubble on her chin – or rather Lily's chin and wondering whether Snape would really be terribly upset if he helped keeping her clean. He wasn't quite sure why he couldn't touch her – after all Snape did it and it wasn't like Harry was going to hurt her.

Harry looked up at the door his professor had disappeared behind and wondered what to make of Snape's exit. He had tried his best to be polite about his suggestion. Snape had said he might not tell anyone. Those were not the assurances Harry was hoping for.

He had been at his wits end until he had realized he wished Ron had been with them. At least then he wouldn't be alone in all this. They might have been able to drag Hermione to the infirmary between them, right? But wait, wouldn't that have taken too long? Hadn't Snape said it got worse the longer it took before you got the potion? As he concluded it might have been easier to wake Snape and care for Hermione if they had been two he once again thought of Ron's reaction to Snape's... sudden fatigue. And that's when he realized he wasn't the only one who stood to be ridiculed if this got out.

Harry had no reason to tell anyone about that at all, seeing as it would probably mean exposing himself in the process, but if Snape used this against him he actually didn't feel bad about retaliating against the old bat and possibly telling Fred and George one or two details about how the potions master had fainted like a dainty lady after shrieking with surprise and fear! That wasn't entirely true of course but Snape had been nothing but horrible all night and Harry was beginning to grow truly angry about the unfairness of it all.

Now he was wondering how Snape would react. The man had suggested he didn't hear Harry's words but Harry considered that very unlikely since he was the only one making any sound and he knew Snape's hearing was one of his most bat-like features.

Suddenly the woman on the cot moaned in pain.

”Hermione?” Harry whispered.

”Hermione, can you hear me? Are you awake?”

She grunted in reply but did not open her eyes. Harry wasn't quite sure whether she was asleep again but he reached out and took her hand. She felt warm and her hand was sweaty despite the cold dungeon surrounding them.

Harry looked at her borrowed face. A part of him wanted to reach out and touch it. Even though she was pale and drooling Harry realized how pretty his mother would have been in person. He had seen her in pictures but when she was real it was different. Well, she wasn't technically real, she was Hermione! But Harry felt a sense of calm looking at her. He had always imagined his mother to be an angel and seeing her made him certain she must have been.

”Hermione? You're going to be alright! I promise!” Harry whispered.

Just then he heard a door open. Harry looked up to see Snape entering with a cutting board, a knife and what appeared to be some kind of root.

”Potter, I...” the professor began before he suddenly stopped.

Harry looked at him in confusion. Snape was starring at him and Hermione as if they had somehow turned into pink elephants but there was something strange about it. He was still wearing his apparently chronic frown but his eyes were not hard. Snape looked as if he was daydreaming or remembering something. Then as quickly as it had appeared it disappeared and the eyes became just as dark and terrible as they had always been.

”Potter... Refresh my memory... Did I not forbid you to touch Miss Granger?!” said Snape.

For a moment Harry just looked at in confusion before he realized that he was still holding her hand. He quickly pulled his hand away and looked up at Snape.

”Sorry, sir. I was just...” Harry mumbled.

Snape just sighed and placed the items on the smaller desk.

”Potter, come here,” the professor demanded.

Harry rose obediently and came closer to the desk. Snape had placed the roots upon the cutting board and was holding the knife.

”If you wish to help, you may slice these – thinly.”

Harry nodded and turned to grab the chair.

”Potter..” Snape began in a strange low voice.

Harry paused with the chair and turned to face his professor.

”Sir?”

Then the potions master merely shook his head waved his hand dismissively at Harry.

”Do be quiet about it, won't you?” he continued with a hint of malice.

Harry wasn't quite sure that was what Snape really meant to say but he finished half pulling, half dragging the chair to the desk and picked up the knife Snape had left there for him. He looked up at Snape who was once again going through the cupboard and took out another vial of the potion he had given Hermione. He placed it in his desk and turned to face Harry.

”Mr Potter, I will need to begin brewing soon as this is the last vial in my stock and I want to make it very clear that while I'm gone you will not move from that desk! Should any problem occur you will call for me. Do not run around looking for me – I will hear you! Is that understood?”

”Yes, sir.” Harry replied, thinking it was very odd indeed that Snape hadn't brought up Harry's suggestion.

”But sir, I wondered if...”

”Ah, yes,” the professor interrupted and frowned as he continued: ”First we need to talk. There's still the matter of your punishment.”

”My... My what?” was all Harry could say.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Severus stared into the boy wide green eyes as he relished the confusion and fear her saw.

So you think you're smart, you little brat? Well I've got news for you...

He crossed his arms and scowled at Potter.

”You heard me,” he sneered.

The boy was just sitting there with the knife in his hand, the roots on the desk and his mouth open. This wasn't going to change anything. Severus was never going to tell and he knew for certain the boy wasn't either – at least not unless Severus told someone first. He wasn't really afraid of the boy. Even if he did tell couldn't Severus deny it? No, the damage would be done regardless.

It was at moments like these he felt just how much he hated to boy. Still he wasn't going to get away with it. Potter's actions depended entirely upon his own and he could use that against the boy.

”Naturally, Mr Potter. You practiced magic without supervision, a spell that you are not meant to ever practice and you were out after curfew.”

”But...” the boy protested.

”But what, Potter? Were you expecting me to approve? I suppose you consider it your right to wander where you please, when you please and do whatever you like?”

”I don't.” The boy muttered and Severus continued before the child could.

”I've come to the conclusion, Mr Potter, that I won't need to involve other members of staff in this.”

What was that? Is the boy actually smiling at me?! Well, just you wait!

Severus narrowed his eyes at the boy's reaction and Potter quickly put on a less dangerous, more neutral expression.

”However...” Severus began with a hint of a smirk.

The boy looked visibly uneasy at this.

”You will be serving detention with me – every night for a week.”

A loud noise was heard as the boy dropped the knife and it rolled off the desk and onto the stone floor. Potter stared at Severus in disbelief.

”What? You can't... You can't do that! I...” he stammered.

You were hoping to get the better of me, weren't you? Well, two can play this game! I'd like to see you weasel you way out of this!

”What's that, Mr Potter? Do you have any objections? If you do, we can discuss it with professor McGonagall. Shall I fetch her?” Severus inquired.

The boy just shook his head and looked down at his hands. Severus remained silent and watched the boy like a hawk circling its prey.

”You really won't tell?” Potter suddenly whispered.

”No. Not unless you give me any cause to, Potter,” Severus replied.

The boy sighed with relief.

”W... What about Hermione?”

”Miss Granger is none of your concern,” Severus stated.

”I know you said that but I just don't want her to get into trouble,” the boy continued timidly.

”Then perhaps you shouldn't have broken the rules!” Severus sneered.

The boy now visibly rolled his eyes.

”And don't you give me any attitude, young man!”

”Whatever...” said the boy and shrugged. ”It's not like you're going to tell on me either way.”

Severus could feel his blood boil. He knew as well as the boy did that keeping quiet was to their mutual advantage but he most certainly didn't want Potter to test him now. After all, Severus decided, the detentions were more than fair! By rights he should have informed the headmaster and argued for both students to be expelled. Potter was lucky.

”Potter...” he began, hints of exhaustion present in his voice.

”Let me convey this in a manner even your pigeon brain can comprehend. You do not have a choice. You may think you do. You may think you can negotiate this. Let me dissuade you of that notion. Now pick up that knife and make yourself useful. If you can work quietly that would be appreciated as you've already given me a terrible headache.”

The boy huffed as he bend down to pick up the object. Severus turned his back to him and studied 'Lily' who was making faint noises.

”Maybe you hit your big ugly head when you fainted!” he suddenly heard a voice sneer behind him.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Harry grabbed the handle of the knife tightly and glared at Snape. It hadn't occurred to him that he was holding a weapon and that he might look a bit unhinged. The older wizard turned around slowly and starred at him with a look of disbelief.

Excuse me?

Just then Harry realized what he must look like and let go of the knife.

”I just meant...” Harry began as he regained control of his emotions.

He didn't get to finish that sentence as the great bat slammed his palms into the desk and remained slightly hunched over it – his face much too close for Harry's comfort.

”Do you think this is funny? HUH? Do you, Potter!?” the man roared.

A loud wail came from the cot as Hermione was disturbed. Harry's eyes darted to her but the professor didn't move an inch and Harry was too scared to run to her.

”It appears we find ourselves in an awkward position. I suggest you take the offer I have given you or I shall have add your puny attempts at blackmail to the list of things I will tell the headmaster,” Snape hissed.

Harry opened his mouth in order to direct Snape's attention towards Hermione.

”No! Potter! Don't argue with me! What did you tell me? That 'you won't tell if I don't tell'? I suggest you agree to that yourself. Then we shan't mention this again.”

Bloody hell! But it isn't fair! Well... I technically did do some of those things... Not the spell though but I suppose he's right about being out after curfew. Still, detentions all week? With Snape!He really must be furious. Well, we did cause him to faint. And he still saved Hermione.

”Okay,” Harry replied.

”Okay?” Snape repeated.

”I mean, it's a deal, sir!” Harry corrected himself.

”A deal?” Snape parroted and raised an eyebrow.

Just then Hermione wailed again.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Next chapter will likely be the last
Broken and mended by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Hermione wakes up!
Snape flew over to Hermione. Harry was just about to join him when Snape barked:

”Make yourself useful and begin.”

A part of Harry wanted to protest but he couldn't. He had heard something odd in Snape's voice. The command didn't hold the same amount of venom as he was used to from the man. If Harry didn't know better he'd say Snape sounded concerned. He took one of the roots and glanced at Snape. Hermione was whimpering softly and Snape had lifted her head once again was giving her the potion. Harry wondered if Hermione was getting worse – it most certainly hadn't been a full hour and had Snape not said that she needed the potion once every hour?

”Hush, Miss Granger. I know it's unpleasant but if you can manage this it'll soon be over,” he heard Snape tell her.

Harry began chopping up the roots and tried his best to be quiet about it. He didn't want to bother Hermione with any loud noises. Had it not been the professor's yelling that had woken her? Still, he glanced up at the scene as often as he dared to.

Snape had finally succeeded in getting most of the potion in Hermione – most of it. Quite a bit was now on her face and the professors hands.

”Lie back down, Miss Granger,” he instructed calmly.

The woman in his arms only grabbed him tighter and tried to shake her head.

”Help,” said a small voice.

Harry ceased chopping and listened. Snape paused and starred at the Lily-imposter. He almost looked... surprised? No, that wasn't it.

”I am helping you, Miss Granger. You will be fine. You need to rest now,” Snape replied.

He gentle attempted to push Hermione back down on the cot.

”Please, help me,” Hermione whimpered.

She doesn't know who she's talking to, does she?

Harry wasn't actually sure whether she did, but something much more terrifying caught his attention. Snape's face had become drained of all colour and the man looked as it he was either dying himself or had just had all his robed turned permanently pink.

Oh, no! He isn't going to faint again, is he? What am I going to do?

”Miss... Granger... You really must...” the professor finally replied as if he was in great pain.

Shit! He is! He really is!

But Harry was wrong.

”I don't want to die. Help me,” Hermione whispered as her muscles relaxed and she finally fell back down onto her pillow.

Snape wasn't moving.

Then he slowly began to back up and finally slumped into the chair behind his desk – he face pale, his eyes shut and his breathing ragged.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

Broken.

That was the only word to describe it. The walls had taken ages to build. Every metaphorical stone had been an effort and now the result of Severus' labor lay in ruins. His mental walls came down as he didn't have the strength nor determination to maintain them.

In an odd way he felt relief. It was as if something had been pushing the walls ever since that dreadful moment when he first awoke to find Potter crying and the glamoured Granger lying on the floor beside him. He hadn't know what it was. He hadn't had the time to address it. He had only focused on dealing with Granger and Potter.

Now the walls were down and he felt the suppressed emotions wash over him like a flood. Anger was an emotion he attempted to school but otherwise didn't completely banish to the walled corners of his mind. Fear was another thing entirely. Shame. Despair. Sorrow.

Isn't it enough? Isn't it enough that I have to see you every night in my dreams? That I have to find your body all over again? Must you come back to accuse me? Here? Now? Don't you think I know? Will I ever be sorry enough? I deserve it. I know I do.
What a cruel joke. I didn't even know you had it in you. In front of your son too. No, that was wrong of me. Forgive me, Lily. I was wrong. Forgive me.


A part of him wanted this to be her revenge. Then at least he knew she was still with him in some way and not lost forever. He wouldn't hate her for it. He could never hate her. If it was her punishment he would take it. Another part of him told him he was being silly. Lily was dead. She was gone. This was nothing but the result of the misadventures of two unruly second years. She was gone. It was his fault.

”Professor!”

The voice sounded distant but it forced him to abandon those thoughts.

”Professor, are you alright?”

There it was again.

”Potter,” Severus muttered.

He couldn't deal with him at the moment. Not until he had regained control over his emotions. Severus knew the last thing he needed right now was to show Potter just how affected he was.

”Sir! You're not fainting, are you?” Potter inquired.

The boy's voice was full of concern. Severus groaned and opened his eyes. He kept his eyes fixed on the ceiling.

”Get back to work, Potter. I'm fine.”

He heard the boy move around but he was far to occupied to look at him. Slowly he began raising the walls again. It was a painful process as he could still feel the emotions. He struggled to regain some measure of control. It wasn't perfect but it would have to do until he had a quiet moment to himself to repair the remaining damage.

What do you want me to do? If you could only tell me?

There were no gods in Severus' life. The was only Lily and the hope that she wasn't completely lost. That some trace of her remained. His thoughts momentarily went to the boy but he pushed them aside. No, that was James, returned from the dead to torture him. Or was it Lily's revenge? Surely the boy couldn't be both.

It had to stop. It had to stop now. What was he thinking? Why couldn't he let go? No, he wanted to keep Lily alive but now the memory was too painful. He would be reduced to a sobbing wreck by the end of the night – he was sure of it. After all his shields had fallen hadn't they? He raised his hands and rubbed his temples. He felt like a hippogriff was kicking the inside of his skull. He hid his face in his hands for a few seconds and he tried to steady himself but stopped when he realized his hands were wet.

Am I... Crying?

Severus couldn't believe it. In fact he stared at his hands in disbelief until he remembered that this was neither the time nor place to allow himself to be surprised. His shields had fallen. This was only a natural reaction. Still, it had been so long since he had cried. He remembered the exact night. It was almost foreign to him.

If Severus needed any more evidence to persuade him to take action, this was it. He rose from his chair with determination. The professors glanced briefly at the boy who was sitting a the smaller desk attempting to work or so he assumed. He starred at Lily's body for a moment as it lay on the cot. Granger was breathing heavily but she looked somewhat peaceful.

Severus raised his wand and pointed it at her before he spoke:

Finite Incantatem!

The girl moaned and trembled as her body changed before his eyes. The red hair became brown and her limps became shorter. Now the face changed and before long the girl lying in front of the potions master was unmistakably Granger the Gryffindor know-it-all and no trace of Lily was left.

Severus sighed with relief.

”You could do that?” a voice shrieked next to him.

”You said you couldn't do that!”

There was no mistaking the anger in Potter's voice. Severus turned to find that the boy had left the desk and was now coming towards him.

”Potter, not now. I can't...” he began.

”But... You told me you couldn't do that, professor!” Potter continued.

”I shouldn't have told you that... I'm.. sorry,” Severus replied.

What was he saying? Maybe it was the headache talking.

”I don't understand,” the boy said quietly and studied Severus as if he was a strange insect.

The potions master sighed.

”I will try my best to explain then.”

The boy nodded but looked as though he had a very had time believing anything coming out of Severus' mouth. The dark man looked away. The green eyes held too much accusation for him to face them right now. Then his eyes fell on the cutting board on the desk.

His mouth was twitching as he tried to suppress a smile. However, a snort escaped him followed by what almost sounded like chuckling.

”Oh, gods above!” the professor smiled – now audibly holding back laughter.

The boy starred at him, eyes wide in shock.

”Professor? Are... Are you okay?”

The concern in the child's voice was evident.

He thinks I've lost my mind!

”Potter,” the man began amused.

”You never cease to amaze me!”

Severus covered his mouth with his hand to muffle his laughter. It was absurd! He was absurd! Of all things to notice.

”S...Sir? Did I do something?” the boy inquired.

”You chopped the roots!” Severus said into his hand.

”Yes? Sir?”

The boy was visibly confused.

”I told you to slice them!” the professor laughed.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*

He's gone completely nuts!

Harry didn't think he'd ever be thinking this but at the moment he almost wished Snape would stop laughing and yell at him! At least he knew how to deal with that. He never even imagined Snape could laugh. There was something different about him now though. Even despite pointing out Harry's mistake he didn't seem to be laughing at him. Not like Vernon or Dudley did. Or Malfoy. No, the professor just seemed strangely amused. As if he finally got a joke.

”I'm sorry,” Harry tried and looked at the man with curiosity.

”All this mess,” Snape mused. ”Because you lost a picture.”

”I'm sorry,” Harry repeated. ”I knew my aunt wouldn't like it, I should have been more careful.”

Snape narrowed his eyes at that.

”What do you mean? Sit, Potter. Explain.”

His voice was stern but Harry could hear no malice in it. The strange animosity – strange even for Snape, that had been there since he woke him had vanished.

”Sir?” Harry inquired as he pulled over his chair and sat. Snape simple gestured for him to begin talking. When Harry didn't Snape spoke:

”I thought you lost the picture in your dormitory?”

”No, sir.”

”At your relatives' house then?”

”I didn't lose it, sir. I just forgot it.”

Snape raised an eyebrow.

”Forgot it?”

”On my bed.”

”Then surely you can retrieve it when you return or have your relatives mail it to you? Surely, all this wasn't necessary?”

”I can't,” Harry replied and studied his shoes.

”And why is that?”

Snape sounded a bit impatient and Harry decided it was best not to ruin his good mood – even if that was strange in the first place.

”My aunt found it. She... She...”

Harry could feel the tears coming again as he remembered the incident.

”Yes?”

”She burned it, sir.”

Silence.

”She what?” he heard Snape say.

What if he doesn't believe me? He never believes me!

”I'm not lying,” Harry quickly defended himself.

”Did you hear me accuse you of lying, Potter?” Snape replied. ”Look at me.”

Harry didn't want to but he raised his eyes to meet Snape's.

”Why?”

Snape sounded like he really, truly had no idea.

”She doesn't like my mother, sir,” Harry explained.

”I know,” the professor mumbled as he studied Harry.

”You know?” Harry asked, shocked.

The professor suddenly grimaced as he'd just said something he shouldn't and then shook his head in exhaustion.

”Mr Potter. I knew her – your mother and your... aunt.”

He spat out the last word as is it tasted foul. Harry's eyes went wide. His hands flew up and cowered his mouth in horror as he realized that Snape knew. He knew the entire time. Harry didn't know if he should feel ashamed about that and the lies he had told Snape or be shocked that Snape knew his mother. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't picture that! And even more important! If Snape knew his mother why hadn't he told him before? Why hadn't anyone told him?

Excuse me?” Harry said, unknowingly imitating Snape.

The professor pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed.

”I realize you may have some questions,” the potions master began.

”I bloody well do!” Harry confirmed.

He wasn't angry. He was confused.

”Never the less,” Snape continued, rolling his eyes at Harry's choice of words.

”I also have a few questions for you. Now as much as I'm sure you'd like to quiz me all night, I'm afraid we don't have that luxury.”

”But you knew my mother?”

”Yes, Potter, I just told you!”

”But... Why didn't you say anything?” Harry said, narrowing his eyes.

”Do I strike you as the sort of person, who talks about their private life to anyone who will listen?”

”No, sir! It just thought you could have said something.”

”Perhaps,” the professor mused.

”Can you... Can you tell me about her?” Harry mumbled.

”Hmm? Haven't your relatives told you about her?”

”No, sir. Well, yes, sir. But then I found out it wasn't true. What they said.”

”Professor McGonagall then? Professor Dumbledore?”

”People only talk about my father, sir. All they ever say about mum is that I have her eyes.”

Snape paused for a moment and looked as if he was considering something.

”I see,” he stated. ”Potter, Granger will need at least two more doses. I suggest we save this conversation for when you join me here tomorrow.”

Harry raised an eyebrow and bit his lip. He'd completely forgotten about that.

”Sir, will Hermione get detentions too? I don't mind a whole week but Hermione would be devastated!”

”You don't have detention, Potter. Either of you,” Snape smirked.

What? Surely he hasn't changed his mind?

”But sir? You said I should come tomorrow?”

Snape got up from the chair and walked over to Hermione, who, Harry noticed, had finally stopped drooling orange fluid.

”Call it a detention if you like, Mr Potter, just be here a seven.”

Harry just starred at the man.

”I don't understand,” the boy replied.

”Didn't you ask me to tell you about your mother? Don't make me changed my mind,” sneered the professor.

”I'm tired. I need to brew that potion. See yourself back to Gryffindor Tower.”

Harry got up and walked over to the others.

”But professor, you said...”

”I know what I said. Just do as you're told,” the great bat sighed as he moved his wand over Hermione.

”Your little friend will be joining you in the morning. Now go to bed and come see me tomorrow.”

Harry wasn't sure what to make of it. Was Snape actually doing something for him? It seemed too good to be true. He walked over to his bag and picked it up from the floor. Harry turned and looked back at Hermione.

”Will she really be okay?”

”Yes, I'll work faster without you here.”

Harry nodded even though he knew Snape wasn't looking at him and went to the door.

”Potter.”

The low silky voice stopped Harry dead in his track. Had Snape changed his mind? He could her footsteps coming towards him and he turned to see Snape standing in front of him.

”You had better have this back,” Snape explained and pulled something out of some hidden pocket in his robe. Harry reached out his hand and Snape handed him a piece of paper. No, it wasn't a piece of paper. It was a photograph. Harry turned it and recognized it as the one they had used for the spell.

”I trust you won't do it again,” Snape said, his voice suddenly stern.

”No, sir. I promise.”

Harry smiled and put the picture into the bag.

”I'll see you tomorrow then.”

”Yes. Goodnight, professor,” Harry said and opened the door.

He stepped out into the hallway and before the door closed behind him he heard a familiar voice.

”Goodnight, Harry.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
I will be continuing this at some point but it is not possible atm.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3295