Ripped by Morgana
Summary: Harry, scarred from an attack by Ripper, enters the magical world and encounters none other than Professor Snape.
OOC warning because characters have developed/matured due to change in circumstances
Categories: Healer Snape Main Characters: Draco, Hedwig, Lucius, Petunia
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Family, Fluff
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Injured!Harry, Physical Impairment, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Out of Character, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 21843 Read: 24897 Published: 31 Jan 2016 Updated: 04 Mar 2016
Interlude: Politics by Morgana

Whilst, officially “Gentleman of Leisure”, the Malfoys had always dabbled in finance, considering it a type of gambling even more exciting, exclusive and expensive than raising racing Pegasai. And, although “business” was more often transacted during a pleasant meal at a select restaurant, there were times when it was preferable to be a little more discrete.

Hence “the Courtroom”, a plushly appointed chamber, elegant in muted silver and pale gold, at the very heart of the manor. It was circular, lined with velvet sofas, and at its heart was a plinth on which rested a strange statue- a silver sword hovering above a golden heart. The room was sound-proof, apperation-proof and imbued with a particularly powerful homenum revelio, ensuring that any animagus or invisible person would have a very nasty surprise.

Lucius sat, robed in dark grey, flanked by his two silver briards- dainty Nephele, a poem in silver, with light golden fur around her eyes, making her look live a panda wrought in precious metals, and stern Zeus, fire bearded and massive, a white flame zigzagging down his breast. Beauty, wealth and strength- there had always been briards in this room and, as long as there were Malfoys in the manor, there always would be.

Around him, Nott, Crabbe, Goyal, Parkinson, Flint, Avery and Davies sipped their wine and watched the Malfoy patriarch expectantly as he stroked Nephele’s broad forehead. In the Courtroom, Lucius was first amongst equals.

“Who, amongst us, has an heir?”

 Several hands rose.

“And a spare?”

All but one hand fell.

“I had a brother, I am sure you remember him, spotty, rather stupid. Young.” Lucius drawled, swirling his blood red wine. “The spare. He died in the Dark Lord’s service.”

The nervous murmurs of condolence fell silent when Lucius raised flashing silver eyes “I have one son, only one and Narcissa cannot bear me another. My name would die if Draco does not survive to produce an heir. As would yours, Nott, and you Flint, and you, Davis.”

There was an awkward silence.

“We have all fought for blood purity, sacrificed our safety, lost brothers, fathers, sons. The risk of dirting of our bloodlines was worth the sacrifices our families made, once, when our families were numerous, when enough children bore our names. Now, the tainted blood of muggle-born witches or wizards is of less moment than the precious few who bear our pure blood.”

After a pause, Goyle hazarded “So, we allow our kids to marry muddies?”

”Certainly not.” Lucius replied “However, if another dark lord should rise, I will not be amongst his supporters. Draco is too precious to me. However pure his blood, it can still be spilt.”

“And if Lord Voldemort returns?” Nott said quietly

“He’s dead, man” Flint said brusquely

“Perhaps not so dead, there have been whispers.”

Lucius blinked “What it comes down to is where our loyalties lie. With family or… elsewhere. Are you willing to risk your heir, Nott?”

“No, Malfoy. I think I speak for all of us when I say that the subject of our dwindling bloodlines has been in our thoughts since the end of the war.”

“Yes” said Davis thoughtfully “If it had not ended, how many more of our names would now be extinct?”

“A good question; the Blacks, the Lestranges, the Rosiers: we will not see their names in fifty years. We are at risk of becoming a dying race, which would suit the blood traitors perfectly” Lucius sneered.

“Indeed, Indeed” Parkinson nodded “A fair assessment. But…”

“There is strength in unity.” Lucius said smoothly “We, we were the inner circle. Without us, the dark lord was but one man. A dangerous man, indeed, but one alone may kill the first, the second, even the third man.”

“Bagsie being the fourth man” Flint said, to general chuckling.

“The Order will be the first, second, third and fourth.” Lucius said serenely “We just have to stand aside”

“And what of those in Azkaban; your dear sister in law, for example.”

Lucius’ eyes narrowed “I believe that, if the dementors were to ‘go rougue’ and kiss a few inmates, few in our society would care.”

“So, are we agreed” said Nott

“Agreed to what, my dear Nott?”

“That we stand back, let the next dark lord do his own dirty work.”

Lucius stood and walked over to the plinth. He placed his hand over the hilt of the sword. Slowly, the men got to their feet and laid their hands over his.

“I so swear that I renounce Voldemort, that I will never return to his service. I so swear that I will never join the service of another dark lord, that I will never take up arms against the Ministry, nor support, aid or abet any person who wishes to do so. That I will never speak of this vow, nor indicate to another that this vow has been made, nor repeat or imply any part of the conversation had today in this room. I so swear on my life and my bloodline.” Lucius intoned.

The sword moved, jabbing into the golden heart. A silver glow surrounded the men.

“Now gentlemen” Lucius said with a smile “We have a special guest arriving today, one Harry Potter.”

“Don’t know how the wife will handle that” Crabbe said “Don’t know how we’ll explain it, if we got to keep silent.”

 Lucius smiled “Never fear, Narcissa is holding high tea as we speak.”

oOoOo

Unlike Lucius, Narcissa enjoyed politics. It was rather like a game of bingo.

“My dear Mrs Zabini, you are looking stunning- that orange, I do not know whether it is nearer red or gold but it suits you so well, you must let me know of your dressmaker”

“Ah, but I designed it myself” smiled Mrs Zabini

Narcissa feigned surprise “Oh, but that is a disappointment” she said, handing her a scone “I should have liked such a robe, although I could not have hoped to carry off such a wonderful colour.”

Florence Zabini preened “My house elf can speak with your elf, a blue silk, yes, I have just the thing for you.”

After being sufficiently grateful, Narcissa, seeing that Mrs Bulstrode was happily spoiling Hera, who had snuck over, turned to Emily Parkinson “My dear Emily, I must compliment you on Pansy, she is now quite the little lady, you have done excellently.”

“Your Draco is quite charming, as is Theodore of course” Emily said, turning to Mrs Nott

“Too bookish, I fear. Rather like his father” Ruth Nott said solemnly

Narcissa looked across the grounds to where Draco was, quite obviously, holding court “I sometimes think that Draco could do with being a little more ‘bookish’, he is quite the hero of his own story”

The women laughed.

“How will he cope with meeting Harry Potter” said Alison Avery thoughtfully.

“Fur will fly, I imagine Mrs Crabbe said, nudging Mrs Goyle “Good thing our lads are all friends.”

“I had heard that the boys had already met” Said Mrs Flint archly “Diagon Alley, shopping for school supplies.”

Narcissa nodded “You are always the first to know everything Bethany. Yes, indeed, Lucius and Draco ran into Harry and his aunt whilst they were shopping.”

“Mmm, and spent the rest of the afternoon together” Bethany Flint added. Narcissa smiled.

“Indeed, it was something of a trial for Lucius, a muggle of all things.”

“I suppose she’s as pretty as her sister.” Emily said bitterly.

“Oh no, positively kelpie faced, poor thing; watery blue eyes and straw hair, bless her.”

Emily Parkinson’s face transformed into an expression of grudging sympathy- her own sister, Rose, had been a famous beauty. //One to me// thought Narcissa.

“And how about the boy, does he take after his parents?”

“Well, he has his mothers eyes and his father’s hair but, the poor dear, his face, a dog attack I believe.”

“Oh, the poor love” Alison Avery said, before she could help herself.

“Yes, indeed, poor child. And, after everything, he is still a dog-lover, Hera adored him.” Narcissa said, smiling to herself as Jane Bulstrode’s eyes softened //four down//

“But what is he really like?” Mrs Crabbe asked “Is he more like James or Lily?”

“Neither, he’s a quiet, shy little thing, ever so polite. I think he was grateful to be taken under Draco’s wing, really. I think he may have been bullied, over the scarring.”

“How terrible” Mrs Nott sniffed “children can be so cruel.”

Mrs Crabbe shared a look with Mrs Goyle. The boys would be told in no uncertain terms about who to look out for when school started, Narcissa had no doubt.

“Is it very bad then, this scarring” Florence Zabini asked sympathically.

“Oh yes indeed, almost worse than Moody’s. So sad as I believe that he was a handsome little chap”

Florence’s eyes were liquid wells of pain. Just two to go “Yes, Harry is a dear boy. Severus is bringing him over today; it’s Harry’s birthday and I thought it would be nice for him to have some friends around him.”

“He doesn’t have any of his own” Clara Davis asked sadly.

“No, well, the muggle children do not really understand him, how could they be expected to? And the scars.”

“We will rally around” Clara said firmly “Right, Bethany.”

“Severus is bringing him here today, you say?” Bethany Flint asked

“Oh yes, he is very taken with Harry. Quite protective over the boy, I believe”

“Well” Bethany Flint said, thinking of next year’s quidditch trials, “I think we will all have to speak to our children, let them know that they need to watch out for the boy.”

//And BINGO//

OoOoO

“Right, listen up everyone.” Draco announced to the gaggle of children “I’ve got something important to say.”

“Oh yes?” drawled Blaze, whose long, luxurious mane was being plaited by Millicent, who would have given the world to possess such hair. Theo, looked up from his book with sceptical eyes.

“Well, you have all heard of Harry Potter.”

“Of course we have Draco” Pansy snapped “Get on with it!”

“Well, he’s my friend, he’s coming here today and you’re not to say anything nasty about muggles or his mum and you can’t use the word ‘mudblood’ or ‘muddies’, okay. Or I’ll tell father”

“Oh, the all-powerful Daddy” Tracy teased. Marcus laughed.

“Well, okay then,” Draco said, going red “I’ll tell Severus, that’s Professor Snape to you. So you’ll be nice to Harry, right?”

The children nodded, even Marcus Flint.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3302