A World Of Grey Clouds by Livia Ethelind
Summary: To the world Harry Potter is either a deranged freak or a celebrated hero, but the truth about Harry and the secret the child carries is about to turn the world upside down - not only Harry's but Snape's as well!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Depressed, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Girl!Harry, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 158605 Read: 151871 Published: 07 Feb 2016 Updated: 19 Feb 2018
It comes in the darkness by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Questions and thoughts
Severus watched the girl lock the wand away. He was puzzled to say the least. Everything pointed to accidental magic – but then why wouldn't the girl simply say so? Why all this nonsense about a house elf? House elfs didn't just show up at random mugglehouses and drop cakes. He suddenly became very aware of the Dursleys' presence and he left the dining room and entered the living room. Where was Minerva? He suddenly stopped in the middle of the room and turned as he heard footsteps pursuing him. There was Potter and she was standing there with a much more confident posture. Snape opened his mouth to speak but the girl beat him to it:

“Sir, how long will you be here?”

Snape frowned.

“Until professor McGonagall returns.”

“Well, yes, but when will she do that?”

“At the very latest tomorrow but I am expecting her tonight,” he replied.

Tomorrow?” the girl repeated with wide eyes and she continued: “I don't think you need to stay here. Nothing will happen. I won't do any magic.”

“Potter, I don't know how it escaped you but this has little to do with your wishes.”

“Of course not. Nobody cares what I want!” said the girl and threw her hands in the air.

“What do you want then? And you had better be serious about this because I have no patience for nonsense tonight!” sighed Snape.

“I want to talk about it,” mumbled Potter.

Talk? Talk? Snape considered it. He certainly didn't want to discuss the situation with the girl but when he thought about it – no one really had discussed it with her. Had Minerva even explained anything? He hoped not. He certainly didn't want Potter to know his own story – the part he did admit to. Still, if it would reassure the girl he couldn't really deny her a few answers could he? At the very least that would stop her asking questions. Severus raised his wand and the door closed and locked. He cast a nonverbal silencing charm as well since the Dursleys had seemed to enjoy the show at dinner a little too much.

“Very well then. Why don't you sit down?” he said and took a seat in one of the armchairs.

The girl hesitantly sat down on the floral couch. She was clearly not expecting him to agree. Severus took a moment to look at her. Her clothes were well worn and the T-shirt at least was much too large for her. She folded her hands in her lap and kept her eyes on her knees. Snape considered what he was seeing. He knew the Dursleys weren't in any financial distress, so why was she not wearing newer clothes? He made a mental note to question Petunia about it or at least let Minerva do it as soon as she arrived. It was best after all if she was the one to deal with it.

“What would you like to discuss?” he asked calmly.

“Do you believe it?” said a small voice.

“What?” he said even though he knew what she was referring to.

“McGonagall said that there was a chance that we were... you know and that this,” she said as she pointed to her face. “That it is proof of it.”

Snape considered what to do. He himself was conflicted. He most certainly didn't want it to be true. But why did you feel saddened when you thought you had proven there was no glamour? He certainly didn't think it was true. But you can't really deny the evidence points in the other direction, can you? And if it were true he still wouldn't have anything to do with her! Wouldn't you? It would be much better to make that clear to the child at once! Is it her you are trying to convince?

“I... I don't know.”

Now where on earth did that come from? He had intended to tell the child that he knew it to be false and that she shouldn't think of it as anything more than her aunt rambling but somehow those were not the words that flew out of his mouth.

“So, it's possible then?”

The girl was looking right at him. Severus felt he would melt into a stain on the chair under that gaze. It was Lily's eyes – no longer in James' face. She looked a bit more like Lily now, Snape noted. Not much, but that tiny bit strengthened the power of her eyes. When Snape didn't answer she clearly took it as confirmation.

“So... You and mum?” she continued as her eyes widened.

“I don't believe I need to answer such questions,” Snape sneered as he snapped out of it.

Rather he didn't want to answer that question. How could he explain that to an eleven year old girl? He was already regretting agreeing to this. The conversation was making him more than a little uncomfortable.

“But.. You? How?”

“There are things I cannot discuss with you. I expect you to respect that and drop the topic. Is there anything else you wish to talk about?”

“Did you love her?”

Severus paused. He wanted to shout: Yes! YES! A thousand times yes! But he couldn't.

“We were very close at one time,” he explained.

The girl looked at him, clearly unsatisfied with his avoidance. She remained deep in thought for a moment before she grimaced. She then shook her head slightly as if she was shaking something off.

“So what do we do? What's going to happen?” she asked.

“I don't know what you intend to do but I am going to wait for professor McGonagall to arrive and then you will have her to question.”

It was completely unfair that he was placed in this situation! What was he supposed to do? He could hardly tell the girl what he felt! Minerva would skin him!

Listen, you little brat! I know it's a shock to you but it's as great a shock to me. I don't know if you're mine and I don't care because I don't want to have anything to do with you! I will never have anything to do with you! I don't care what the result of the test we'll do will say! I wish I'd never met you! You've made my life miserable from the day I heard you were coming to Hogwarts! And if I had not promised Albus Dumbledore of all people that I would protect you and you were not Lily's child I would walk out of here and never set eyes on you again!

No, he couldn't say that. Severus closed his eyes and ignored the little voice that said: You don't mean that. He was angry, he knew that. A bad temper sort of ran in the family and Severus had learned to suppress it into the more controlled foul mood he was so well known for. This was why he wasn't screaming those words at the child right now. That, and they reminded him of someone he wished to forget. He had to wonder though, was it his anger talking? He'd tried to be civil with her! He really had! But she kept reminding him that she was still that child he had met a year ago.

That was at least the best reason he had. What could he possibly tell her? Considering her strange behavior after the revelation she was clearly coping with this badly. Imagine how she would act if she knew the entirety of Petunia's story. Severus sighed and opened his eyes. Life isn't fair.



Harry was somewhere between disbelief and disgust! Was she really supposed to believe that her mother would ever like Snape? But he'd said that. And there had been no hint of sarcasm or glee in his voice as he said it. So had they simply known each other well or were they ever friends? And even worse, if Snape admitted there was a possibility had they ever been more than friends? Harry felt like she needed to be sick. No, she shouldn't think about that! Had McGonagall not said possibility? Had Snape not said he was in doubt? So the only person claiming it to be true was her aunt and Harry knew better than most that her aunt lied more often than not! And McGonagall had mentioned some sort of proof? Where was that? She certainly hadn't seen any!

Harry raised her hand to her face and absentmindedly bit the tip of her index finger. How much did she really want to know?

“Is there a way to be sure?” she mumbled.

“Kindly remove your fingers from your mouth when you're speaking, Potter! And yes, there is, we shall do that when possible.”

Harry felt the same strange feeling at the sound of that as she had when McGonagall told her about the other test. She was afraid of what the answer would be.

“Now you might return the favor and answer a question of mine. Why are you not wearing your glasses?” Snape said and Harry looked up to find him studying her.

“Eh.. I don't have to. I mean... After McGonagall... Professor McGonagall,” she explained, correcting herself when Snape frowned at her. “After she changed me I couldn't really see anything and I thought it was because I was... But then I took my glasses off. I didn't even notice earlier when I looked over the rim that I could see! Do you think she fixed my eyes?”

“Hmm.. Potter, there are spells that can improve eyesight at little and they are helpful with smaller problems but someone as nearsighted as you were? No, that cannot be done.”

Snape looked deep in thought and Harry felt like he was looking right through her as if she was a ghost. It was rather annoying. He clearly knew more than he was telling her but Harry wasn't going to push her luck when she was locked in a living room alone with Snape complete with a silencing spell on the door. In number 4 Privet Drive no one can you hear you scream she mused and smirked.

“If you change me back will I need glasses again?”

“Do you wish to change back?”

“No. I don't know. Maybe. I don't mind either way. But at least like this I can see. And my hair isn't messy!” Harry replied.

Just then they heard a tapping on the window. Harry's eyes shot up and saw a big brown owl on the other side. Snape quickly got up and opened the window to let the owl in. It had a letter tied around its leg and Snape removed the scroll and unrolled it.

“What is it?” asked Harry but Snape remained silent as he read.



Dear Severus
I know you were expecting me to come this evening
but I'm afraid that will not be possible.
Since I left you I have been writing and floocalling
a number of old acquaintances and I have high hopes
of finding a way to Flamel. I will be spending most of
tomorrow continuing my search but I will come at noon
as I promised you. I do hope you are feeling better!
I should mention, that Poppy has been able to get
hold of a paternity potion through a friend at
St. Mungo's and I will be bringing it tomorrow.
It was my intention to bring Poppy along
but I told her of our findings and... Well, Severus,
she didn't take it very well. I believe a little time
will help her get over the worst of the shock.
Poor thing has been worrying herself to bits
after we left. Keep Harry save and give her my best!

Minerva McGonagall


Severus reread the letter twice. His hands were clutching it so tightly his nails tore the parchment. How dare she! What was he? Potter's babysitter? No, this didn't sound promising at all! He had been hoping to escape the Dursley residence tonight but now he was expected to stay! And what was worse – Minerva's comments about the next day were ominous to say the least. She very clearly stated that she would be coming and leaving – not that she would take over from him. Did that mean she was no longer suspicious of the Dursleys or..? He paused when he suddenly felt a tug on his sleeve. He looked down to see the girl standing there.

“Who is it from?” the girl asked quietly.

“Professor McGonagall,” he muttered.

Without further explanation he turned and undid the spells placed on the door. As soon as the door flew open it revealed three startled Dursleys who were likely either attempting and failing to listen in or wondering why the magical people had barricaded themselves in the living room. Knowing Petunia, Severus imagined she was worried about what he might do to her furniture and not what he might do to her niece. The boy on the other hand almost looked relived when he saw Potter. Then he took one look at Snape's scowl and moved to stand behind his father.

“Oh, Snape... We were just wondering,” began Petunia.

“I'm sure you were,” replied Snape, not really caring what she was about to say.

“I'm afraid I have some rather distressing news,” he continued.

He didn't care two knuts if his presence was an inconvenience to the Dursleys but this certainly was an inconvenience to himself and that was a grievance indeed. Petunia looked at him with wide eyes and Vernon was watching him with suspicion.

“What? What did she say?” cried a voice behind him but he ignored the girl.

“It would appear my colleague will not be arriving until tomorrow. I will have to trespass on your hospitality a bit longer,” he sneered.

“You're staying? Overnight?” Petunia mumbled.

“He's not! I'm sick of this! We've been patient enough!” growled Vernon.

Severus flicked out his wand before the man could advance on him.

“Mr Dursley, I've had a long day and quite frankly if you wish to provoke me, be my guest! I wouldn't mind relieving some tension!”

Vernon fumed but Petunia placed her hand on his arm. Then Potter suddenly stepped close.

“It's okay. You can stay in my room. I'll just... I'll just stay in my old room,” she said, the first part meant for Snape and the second for Petunia, who nodded her consent.

“Help me in the kitchen, Harry.”

Then she turned and gave Vernon a look which Severus couldn't quite decipher. Instead he turned to face the girl.

“Potter, where do you keep quills and ink?”

“In my trunk... Oh! I'll get it!” she replied and ran to the cupboard before remembering that it was once again locked. Snape raised his wand and unlocked it at a distance which was possible because the Dursleys fled from the doorway as fast as they could. The girl rummaged through the cupboard for a bit before she pulled out a small stack of parchment, ink and a quill. She returned and placed it on the coffee table. Snape picked up the quill and noticed that the tip clearly had been chewed on a bit. He shook his head at this. That was no way to treat school supplies. As Potter left to join her aunt he sat down and began penning a response to Minerva.

Minerva
I suggest you begin worrying about
a more permanent solution.
I promised you to look after Potter
but I cannot promise you will not
find her relatives in pieces when
you return.

S.S


He quickly dried the parchment, rolled it up and attached it to the leg of the owl, which was still waiting on the windowsill. Once it had flown he closed the window and considered his next move. He knew it was unreasonable to be demanding anything of Minerva in this situation. She had enough to worry about as it was but he couldn't let his having to stay the night go without comment either. And if he made no treats to anyone's life Minerva might really start to worry about him.



It was close to 3 am. Severus was sitting on Potter's bed trying to calm his breath. He'd been pacing again and by now it had been such a long session that he'd actually become slightly winded. He had only seen Potter once since their talk when the girl had emerged from the kitchen and hurriedly said goodnight to him. He'd excused himself to Petunia and claimed he was exhausted. He truly was but he knew perfectly well he would not get any sleep. Besides it was so unnerving to be in Potter's room with the pale light from outside shining through the bars. It brought back memories of holdingcells and aurors and the black hole of guilt that had consumed him just after the war. Still that was far from the only thing on his mind. Here, in the semi-darkness he could truly hear his own thoughts. He'd been reassured when Potter claimed she had another room – mostly likely a room like her cousin's. She had simply been moved to this room after the cake incident.

Severus stood and walked to the closet and opened it. There were only a pair of shoes, three giant shirts and two pairs of trousers that were clearly to large to be Potter's. Yes, he was quite sure he was right. At least he wanted to be right. He hadn't seen all of downstairs yet so there could very well be another room there.

Thus reassured his thoughts drifted to Minerva's arrival. She would be bringing the test with her and there would be a final result. Severus didn't know what to think of that. It was terrifying and unreal, like the imminent death of a loved one. Or the birth of one. He found himself silently muttering that surely nothing could be proven by a potion brewed by some novice at St. Mungo's and that he couldn't be expected to trust the work of anyone but himself. But he knew that was ridiculous. The potions were not brewed at St. Mungo's but bought from Potion Masters across the country. Paternity potions were not simple concoctions and he would be able to tell any mistake in the brewing simply by looking at the finished potion. They were expensive on the market of course and not as sought after these days as they had been. St. Mungo's always had a few in their stores and if Poppy had managed to get one without too many questions being asked, he was actually rather impressed. He wondered what manner of story she had told them. There was no reason why a schoolhealer should need one.

He felt like he was going mad, trapped in this small room alone with himself. He'd been avoiding the more important thoughts up until now but he needed to distract himself. He silently crept out of the room and down the stairs. One of the steps creaked slightly but he managed to get down undetected. The ground floor seemed so peaceful without the Dursley's there. Severus stood in the hallway and looked at the front door. He rather wanted to take a walk and clear his head of the haunting thoughts. Surely, Minerva wouldn't mind him slipping out while Potter was asleep? He didn't get to finish that thought when he suddenly heard a creaking behind him. He turned around to see Potter crawling out of the cupboard. The girl was rubbing her eyes slightly and obviously tried to move quietly and she hadn't yet noticed him. Severus froze. He could feel the blood turning cold in his veins.

“Potter?” he said calmly.

“Huh.. Wha.. What?” said the girl as she looked up and saw him there.

She then covered her mouth as she realized that she had spoken out loud.

“Sir?” she whispered.

“What are you doing?”

“I... I was just going to get some water. I... I won't disturb you!” she replied as she slowly backed away.

“Lumos,” Snape whispered and shone the light into the cupboard.

The girl's trunk was pushed to the back, revealing a small cot that had been hidden beneath it. Severus quickly noxed the light again.

“Potter...” the words stuck in the back of his throat. “Go up to your room and go back to sleep.”

“But sir...” she began.

“I'll bring you the water,” Severus said as he held up his hand to stop her talking. “Just please, do as I say for once?”

There was no malice in the last sentence. Only the exhaustion Severus felt. Still, this girl looked uncomfortable. She nodded slowly and walked up the stairs to the room Severus had just left. Snape lit the light again and examined the cupboard once more. The mattress was worn, there was a lineup of small broken toys there and a thin blanket. On the walls were small drawings made with blue crayon as well as what appeared to be several attempts at the letters of the alphabet. The most reoccurring thing however was the name Harry written over and over again between the doodles. It was clear to see that they had been added during a number of years as they started out crude and eventually the penmanship improved.

Severus felt like he needed to be sick. However, his face didn't reveal that. He simply closed the door and walked into the kitchen in a daze. There he grabbed a glass and filled it with water before moving up the stairs again. When he arrived in the girl's bedroom she was under the blanket and fast asleep. Of course! Sending me out for nothing! But he didn't mean that. In fact he knew himself that that was a ridiculous comment when she hadn't asked him for anything. He had volunteered. He carefully placed the water on the desk. She looked to peaceful when she was sleeping. With her eyes closed and her bangs covering the scar there was nothing of her old self visible. She looked so small and fragile. How could something so small have defeated the Dark Lord? That bitter taste in his mouth still remained. He should have listened to his instincts. How could he not have noticed? This might be Potter but something would be done about this!

The reality of what he was doing caught up with him and he exited the room quietly. He made his way back downstairs and entered the living room. Snape sat down in one of the armchairs which was comfortable enough to sleep in though he had no illusions of sleep. Now as he was defenseless the thoughts he had been suppressing flooded his mind. Tomorrow they would not only prove or disprove Petunia's story but Severus would find out just how much he had failed Lily. What if? What if it was true? The thought of Lily waiting for him to help her and never seeing the day was unbearable. He would have been there for her! Whenever she called! He couldn't accept it! He would have killed Potter if he ever harmed her! No! It hurt too much to even consider it! But for the first time since Petunia had called him the girl's father he willfully admitted to himself that it was a real possibility. The odd thing was that it didn't hurt thinking that. The image of Lily resurfaced. The days they had spend together. The last time he saw her. And for the first time in years, Severus Snape wept.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Next up: Morning and Minerva


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3303