A World Of Grey Clouds by Livia Ethelind
Summary: To the world Harry Potter is either a deranged freak or a celebrated hero, but the truth about Harry and the secret the child carries is about to turn the world upside down - not only Harry's but Snape's as well!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Depressed, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Girl!Harry, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 158605 Read: 151867 Published: 07 Feb 2016 Updated: 19 Feb 2018
Ruby and emerald by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Reactions to the results...

This chapter is dedicated to starangel2106, who was there to say a random word when I most needed it! ^_^
Red was the color of strawberries. Red was the color of love. Red was the color of her mother's hair when she smiled up at her from the pages of the picturebook Hagrid had given her. But red was also the color of anger. It was the color of blood. It was the color of the bottle sitting on the table and at that moment it was the color Harry despised most in the world. What did this mean? What did this change? To her, it only made the world a much darker place. She wanted to return to pretending and imagining what her dead parents were like but she also knew that what made that so enjoyable was the possibility that it wasn't pretend at all. That some part of her believed it to be the truth. How could it ever be the same now that she knew that it wasn't true and never would be? Was it possible to pretend to the extend that you believed it?

For about half a minute after the bottle had turned red, no one said a word. To Harry it felt like hours of silence. She was the first to visibly react however. As McGonagall and Snape both sat and stared at the bottle as if they had never seen magic before, the actual muggle in the room was looking at Snape with a smug expression. Harry didn't feel it at first but tears began falling. As soon as she realized she raised her hands to wipe them away but they just kept coming. After a half minute she was sitting there with snot and tear covered fingers and more on her face. Her vision was blurred by the tears and that was when the first audible sob escaped her. The sound seemed to resonate through the room and woke the others from their daze.

“Minerva, I...” she heard Snape whisper but the man didn't finish the sentence.

However, the sound of the man's voice broke the dam and Harry began sobbing in earnest. It wasn't fair! She didn't ask for this! She didn't want this!

“Severus, please..” replied McGonagall.

Harry froze as she felt an arm being hesitantly wrapped around her. She flinched at the touch but afterwards allowed the witch to hold her. She couldn't see anything for the tears but McGonagall handed her a handkerchief. When she had wiped her hands and parts of her face it was already too soggy to use and the tears kept coming.

“I told you! I told you but would you listen to me?” said Petunia.

“Mrs Dursley, that is not helping!” cried McGonagall.

Harry leaned closer to her professor and McGonagall allowed it. She could hear Snape suddenly getting out of the armchair and walking towards the door. That for some reason only made her feel worse. McGonagall squeezed her arm slightly.

“Severus! Severus, where are you going?” she cried.

“I'm going back to the castle for an hour like we agreed and then I'm going to dig James up, revive him and personally beat him back in the grave!” sneered the other professor.

“Severus!” cried McGonagall but the man had already left. “It's alright, Harry! Would you like to lie down for a bit? Mrs Dursley, would you get us some papertowels or something?”

Harry didn't understand it. What was Snape so upset with her... with James Potter for now? Was he upset because James wasn't her father now? It didn't make any sense at all. At any other time she would be mortified at the idea of crying into McGonagall but the truth was she had no one else who would hold her. The only other person she had ever had comfort her was Hermione. But Hermione wasn't here right now. Harry both wished she was and and was happy that she wasn't. What would her friends make of this? She knew they had accepted her as a girl and kept her secret but they both hated Snape! What would they think if they saw her like this? With this face? Still, she wanted Ron to be there and make some dumb comment in an effort to make her laugh and for Hermione to have everything make sense.

“Would you like to talk about it?” said McGonagall as they waited for Petunia to return.

Harry shook her head. How could she tell her what she felt? How did she feel? Lonely, betrayed, disgusting. To think that she was in any way like Snape? That was not a pleasant thought.

“It's going to be okay, Harry! Just you wait and see! We will figure it out!” promised McGonagall but the uncertainty in her voice didn't escape Harry.

Petunia returned with some tissues and placed them in Harry's lap before leaving them alone. Harry began furiously cleaning her face up. As soon as the room came into focus once more she scooted away from McGonagall.

“Harry..” McGonagall began.

“I'm going to my room,” Harry said, cutting her off.

“Harry, are you sure? You can lie down on the couch if you like.”

“No, I'm going,” Harry replied and got up.

She felt McGonagall grab her hand as she stood.

“I know it must be a shock,” said the professor.

“Just leave me alone!” cried Harry suddenly.

She wasn't really angry with McGonagall but she just couldn't hold it in any longer. As soon as the words were out she realized her tone had been anything but kind and rather than deal with the sorrowful look in McGonagall's eyes she made for the door and ran up the stairs. She slammed the door shut behind her and crawled into bed and under her blanket. The light shone through the tiny holes in the crimson blanket. Her eyes filled with tears again. She curled up and as her vision blurred, red became the color of her whole world.



Severus Snape shut the door to his quarters behind him. He turned, placed his hands on the door and rested, leaning against it for a moment. He turned and took in the sight of his living room. Everything looked so normal. Yet, nothing was the same. He had hoped to shut out the thoughts with the rest of the world but they followed him inside and tainted everything he saw. This was his peaceful hideout in which he could wait out the emotions. Now everything seemed so pointless and small. There were parts of the work he had left behind yesterday, there was his current book in his armchair with the bookmark sticking out and there was a glass he'd forgotten to put away. It was his world but it seemed so small and insignificant.

Lily's words flashed in his brain. My trust has been misplaced. Who was Lily referring to? The friend with whom she had left the letters? James? No, that James could not be trusted was old news at that point. A third person entirely? Or.. The worst imaginable thing. Was is him? Lily had been waiting for him. She had been waiting for him for a year! What must she have thought when he never came for her? And where was he? Out doing the Dark Lord's bidding, that's where! But then again had she not insisted that Petunia should only ever tell Severus? He clung to that. At least she still trusted him with her child. Her child? Our child? My child? Severus tried the words out in his head but they still made him uncomfortable. She trusted me with her child! Lily had hoped for Severus to come and save her and the baby. Would they have gone away together? Where? How? The Dark Lord would have asked for his head. What of the Order?

Snape huffed. Potter would likely have spun them a tale and set every member on him. Still, despite the bad odds Severus wanted to believe that he could truly have helped her. That he could have taken her far away and they would be happy together. It didn't even matter if he died trying as long as he succeeded in saving her. He would have given her that.

He had failed her. Not only had he caused her death but he had failed to help her when she most needed him and condemned her daughter to life with the Dursley's under the alias James Potter had forced upon her. For delivering the prophecy to his then master he had been asked to do penance. He had turned upon his former friends and sworn to protect Potter - that name didn't feel right. What could he possibly do now? Lily would never forgive him for this!

He made his way across the room. He would have to shower and change robes before heading back. He was going back. It was strange. Yesterday he would have taken this opportunity for escape in a heartbeat. He couldn't quite explain it. It terrified him to know he had a child. Him? Severus Snape? Of all people? He hadn't imagined ever having children. Even in the times where he dreamt of one day marrying Lily Evans he had never imagined them with children. He couldn't imagine it because the only ideas he had about such a family was his own childhood home or Lily's. The first he would never wish upon any child and the second he couldn't place himself in. There was always the fear that he would become his own father. He had never loved after Lily. There had never been any reason to start dreaming of things to come again.

Still, a small part of him, the irrational part he told himself, was pleased with the thought that there was a little bit of him that would remain in the world after he died. The fact that Lily was the other half of that child was the icing on the cake. But the girl had cried when she saw the results. Those were not happy tears. She cried as though she had watched a loved one die. While Snape could understand her emotions he couldn't understand his own. Why did it hurt so much to know she was that unhappy with the result? He knew she would feel that way! He had expected he would as well!



Minerva was at a loss. It would seem everything depended on whether or not she would be able to contact the Flamels tonight. She had tried to be practical about this but she couldn't deny that where emotion was involved practicality rarely was. It had been a help to her that she had not been the one staying here but the thoughts had followed her back to Hogwarts. She didn't know what Albus would say to the whole issue of Harry Potter's parentage but one thing she knew for sure: What Snape had told her earlier had only confirmed her suspicions. The Dursleys were clearly not treating the girl well and she needed to get to the bottom of this. Something had to be done about that at least. She would need further information because she remembered only too well voicing her concerns about the Dursleys when Harry first arrived here and Albus shrugging them off. It would appear she had been right then. I should have insisted. I should have demanded some kind of examination of them. But Albus had convinced her he had someone looking after Harry and that everything was well.

Minerva rose and walked into the hallway. She closed the cupboard door and cast a locking charm that only allowed the door to be opened magically. The Dursleys could not be allowed to get rid of the evidence. Then she made her way up to Harry's room. She knocked on the door but as she expected there was no reply. She opened the door slightly.

“Harry?”

She could see the shape under the red blanket and she moved over to the bed and sat down. She didn't make any move to remove the cover. She knew Harry was most likely crying and didn't want to be looked at at the moment.

“Harry, I haven't come to speak to you about the test. I won't talk about that unless you want to.”

“Then why are you here, professor?” a small voice beneath the blanket sniffed.

“Well, Harry, I don't think you're happy living here? Is that correct?”

There was no answer.

“If there is anything, anything at all, you know you can tell me right? I can help you but only if you tell me,” Minerva said calmly.

“He said that too,” mumbled Harry.

“Who?”

“Professor Snape. But he has gone now and you will too and you don't understand,” continued the blanket covered shape.

“What don't we understand?” asked Minerva and tryingly placed a hand where the girls shoulder was.

“You just make it worse. They are really mad. And they are going to be worse when you leave.”

“You told professor Snape this?”

“Mhmm,” said the girl.

“Harry, why don't you come out from there?” Minerva said but when there was no response she continued: “We are not leaving until we know you are safe, I promise you that. We haven't left you yet. Professor Snape has gone to Hogwarts but he will be back. Just like how I went yesterday but I came back today. Didn't I keep my promise to come back?”

There was some movement underneath the blanket but Minerva couldn't be sure whether Harry was nodding or shaking her head.

“Is it easier if I ask you questions? You only have to say yes or no if you don't want to explain further right now.”

The blanket was pulled away and revealed a moist face and red eyes. Minerva tried her best to smile though the amount of hurt visible on the girl's face was like a punch in the gut. Harry nodded slowly.

“Did you sleep in a cupboard before you came to Hogwarts?”

“Yes.”

“Do you usually eat with the rest of your family?”

“No.”

“When do you usually eat?”

Silence. Minerva didn't really have to ask when simply looking at the girl would tell you that meals were either small, few or irregular.

“Has.. Has your relatives ever hurt you?” Minerva said and held her breath for the answer.

“Yes,” said the girl and made to cover herself once again but Minerva grabbed the blanket before she could.

“Was it your aunt or your uncle?” she continued, her heart now beating its way out of her chest.

“Neither,” said the girl who was visibly irritated that she could not hide.

“Then who?”

“You'll just laugh at me,” mumbled the girl.

“Harry! I would never laugh at you! This is serious!”

The girl simply glared at her professor and mumbled: “Dudley.”

“Your cousin?”

“He beats me up all the time.”

“Have you told your aunt and uncle this?”

“They let him. Sometimes he does it in front of them.”

“Is there anything else I should know?”

“I don't want to talk anymore,” said the girl and curled up. “It doesn't matter anyway.”

McGonagall rose and tried to calm her breathing. She suddenly understood how Snape could lose his temper with the Dursleys. In fact she was both surprised and a little disappointed that he had not left them as a pile of ash. She turned and left the room. She understood that it must be hard for the girl to share anything and she would give her all the time she needed. Then she realized that neither she nor the girl had eaten lunch. That at least she could get Harry. She walked downstairs and marched into the kitchen where she found all three Dursleys. The boy starred at her with wide eyes and she paused to send him her sternest look which produced the intended effect since he began to tremble slightly.

“Mrs Dursley. Would you be so good as to prepare some food for your niece? She's not very well at the moment and cannot come down,” she spat.

“Are you taking her?” sneered Vernon, who seemed less afraid of an elderly woman than he was of Snape.

“I certainly hope so but for now she remains here and so do we,” replied Minerva.



Severus locked and warded the entrance to his chambers. He had showered and dressed in clean robes and this made him feel a lot better than he had imagined it would. Now that he felt more relaxed the idea of returning didn't bother him as much, though he sincerely hoped Minerva would not leave at the first opportunity. He was as eager as she was to find Dumbledore but he also didn't like being left alone to deal with his frustration, an emotional child and three Dursleys.

He made his way off the grounds and apparated back to Privet Drive and took special care to apparate into the tool shed this time. He quickly cast a notice-me-not charm and went down the street towards the house. His eyes once again went to the bars on the window and he frowned. Seeing the remains of the flowerbed he had destroyed made him feel slightly better. He didn't bother to knock but simply opened the door which he wasn't surprised to find unlocked. He could hear the TV running in the living room so he didn't bother to enter. Instead he went into the kitchen where he found Minerva sipping a cup of tea at the small table.

“Oh, Severus! You're back!”

“Obviously,” replied Snape drily.

“And James is still in his grave I take it?”

“For now,” he sneered as he was reminded.

“I need you to leave that be for now. Harry doesn't know and I don't think she needs to hear about that right now.”

“Where is she? Did you speak with her?”

“In her room and yes, yes I did. I tried to get her to answer a few questions.”

Snape raised an eyebrow. He hadn't been able to get the girl to really talk. Perhaps Minerva had had more luck?

“She doesn't eat with them and while she wouldn't say anything I suspect they do not feed her enough. She also said they allow her cousin to be violent towards her.”

Severus nodded. Whatever shadow of sympathy he had had for the son of the Dursleys was gone. He sat down at the table. Now was the time to go over Minerva's plan.

“What do you intend to do?”

“I intend to demand she be removed from this place. I will leave soon for my meeting. If all goes well I shall be back here with Albus come morning so let us hope for the best! Did you see Poppy while you were at the castle?”

“No, you mentioned she did not take the news well so I considered it wiser not to.”

“Ah, well, I will have to tell her the definitive results as well. Poor thing.”

“She? A poor thing? You seem to be forgetting whose life it is being restructured!”

“Come now, Severus! You know I didn't mean it like that! I've had Petunia bring the girl some lunch but I cannot be sure she has eaten. She was in a state when I last saw her. Perhaps you should talk to her?”

“Perhaps...” Snape agreed. “Are you leaving already?”

“The faster I get there, the faster I shall return. I will see you soon, Severus!”

The witch left her teacup on the table and rose. With a nod to her colleague she left the house. Snape remained seated for a moment. Minerva intended to relocate her? He completely agreed with that of course but where? He couldn't think of a place. The girl needed to grow up in a proper family and while he had seen her bond with other children he wasn't sure whether either would welcome her into their own families. There would be many families willing to house the boy... eh, girl-who-lived but someone who would actually tend to the girl and not simply house her for her celebrity status? He wasn't sure what was expected of him. He couldn't do much for her nor was he certain she would accept his help. At least he could help her where she was. He got up and walked up the stairs and knocked on her door.

“I said, I'm fine!” yelled someone from inside.

“Lower your voice,” commanded Snape as he opened the door and entered.

The girl spun around on the bed. She was clearly surprised to see him. Severus glanced at the desk where a tray with some pasta and salad stood. She had been doing something to it but he wasn't so sure she had eaten anything as much as moved it around a bit.

“I would like you to join me downstairs,” he continued.

“Where is professor McGonagall?”

“She has gone to attend to something of great importance. In the meantime I will be here. Follow me,” Snape replied in a voice that left no room for discussion yet it somehow had little effect.

“I don't want to talk to you! I already spoke to McGonagall so leave me alone!” cried the girl.

Snape could feel the frustration slowly building inside. He didn't need this. Not now. She could apparently have a semi-decent conversation with his colleague and he completely understood that she might find it easier to open up to her own Head of House, especially when his relationship with her had been less than cordial. None the less, why did she have to shout at him? Did she consider this his fault? When it was James who... But of course she didn't know that.

“As much as I am understanding of the emotional trauma the news may have been you still seem to have an attitude problem. I know this isn't easy for you but it gives you no right to yell at me.”

“Oh, what?” replied Harry. “Now I'm not allowed to be angry, huh? What am I supposed to do? Smile all the time?”

“No,” said Severus, his patience running thin. “You may be angry if you wish but you will be respectful none the less.”

“This isn't school! You can't tell me what to do here so GO AWAY!” cried Harry.

“I beg to differ!” replied Snape and raised his voice. “It would appear that I can! Now, when you've done something about this attitude of yours I would like to see you downstairs!”

He turned and left the room. Why did I say that? Why did I say that? He hadn't meant to acknowledge the results in such a way. He knew she would have to be placed in a new family and the less they said about it the easier it would be to deal with. He entered the living room where he found the Dursleys sitting in front of the TV.

“Petunia!” he snapped which caused all three of them to jump. “Join me in the kitchen, NOW!”

As he turned he clearly head Vernon say: “That's it! I'm taking our son over to Marge for the rest of the day! Those people are violent, Petunia! And I won't sit here and listen to them ordering us around!”

Severus smirked. That suited him well. The man and the boy were nothing if not in the way. Petunia at least was smart enough not to cross them. Then again, she did want something from them.

“What is it, Snape?” hissed Petunia as she entered the kitchen. Sounds could be heard in the hallway as Vernon and the boy got ready to leave.

“Are you poor?”

“Excuse me?”

“It's a valid question considering your niece wear rags!” explained Snape.

“Vernon doesn't like to spend money on her and frankly I don't think she deserves it either. She gets in too many fights for nice clothes. Besides it would be ruined anyway when she...”

“When she what?” Snape pressed. He had a good idea what Petunia meant by 'fights' after what Minerva had told him.

“Oh.. She does a bit of gardening at times.”

“Then I would assume she would have appropriate clothes for that as well.”

Petunia sighed. “What do you want, Snape?”

“I want you to go out and get her some decent clothes, Petunia. Just like you are actually expected to do.”

“I'm not made of money. Besides she's your problem now, why don't you do it?”

“I rather feel you owe it to her! Do you want to make this an argument, Tuney?” Severus replied silkily as he twirled his wand. “I'm not asking you to shower her in presents. I'm just asking you to dress her properly as you would your own daughter.”

Petunia seemed to consider this. Then she nodded and a strange light shone in her eyes.

“I'll be going out now then,” she smiled and left for the hallway.

Petunia returned about an hour later with two shopping bags. Snape was sitting in the kitchen enjoying a cup of tea. He was getting rather impatient because the girl was still refusing to come downstairs. Petunia placed the bags in the hallway and hung up her coat before going into the kitchen.

“I see you found my Darjeeling!” commented Petunia.

“Mmm,” said Snape into the teacup.

“I'll make a few sandwiches. Is she still upstairs?”

“Yes. But I can wait her out.”

“You just have to be a little firm with her. I'll have her come downstairs,” smirked Petunia.

Severus glared at the woman. He didn't at all like the suggestion that he couldn't handle a child and certainly not the suggestion that the reason was he was too soft! Petunia made a few sandwiches and filled a pot with the tea Snape had already removed from the cupboards. She placed it all on the small table in the kitchen and went out to pick up the bags and retrieve the girl. After a while Snape could hear what sounded like an argument going on upstairs. Curious and more than a little smug he rose and entered the hallway to be able to hear better.

“I'm not! I told you!”

“You just stop that right now!”

“UGH! Are you blind or something?”

“What's going on?” called Snape.

“I'm not wearing this!” yelled the girl.

“It's perfectly fine! You look pretty!” cried Petunia.

“Yes, you will! Now come downstairs at once!” roared Snape, though with some amusement and returned to the kitchen.

“FINE!” he heard coming from the hallway and then the sound of them coming down the stairway.

“Watch your language!” he heard Petunia cry though he didn't hear what she was referring to.

Severus took a seat and turned his attentions back towards his teacup. Finally there was some progress with the girl. However a moment later she stomped into the kitchen and Snape almost spat his tea out. The girl glared at him and crossed her arms.

This was not at all what he had meant! It appeared Petunia had overlooked the word 'properly' and focused on the words 'dress her like your own daughter'. The girl was wearing black shoes, white tights and a dress with short puffed sleeves and a bow on the back. While her hair was still just long enough for bangs and almost covering her ears there was now a hairband – also with a bow, placed on her head. Snape had only meant that Petunia should get her some jeans and shirts that actually fit her – not that she should force a girl who had worn trousers for most of her life into a dress. However the indignant look on her face was still very amusing to him and rather satisfying after how she had yelled at him earlier.

“You look... presentable,” smirked Severus.

“Yeah, YOU would think that wouldn't you! I look like a bloody Slytherin!” hissed the girl and crawled onto the other stool.

Then Severus realized. She wasn't upset about the femininity of the attire. At least not only. She was grimacing in disgust because in an effort on Petunia's part to make it match her eyes, the dress and hairband were both emerald green.

“Hardly... My snakes would never look this... cute,” replied Severus, trying very hard not to laugh.

In response the girl pulled off the hairband and hurled it at him though hints of a smile appeared on her face.

“Then on the other hand... You do look good in green,” frowned Snape after catching the hairband midair and placing it on the table.

“Ugh! You sound like the hat!” mumbled the girl and took a sandwich off the plate.

“What's that?” inquired Snape.

“You look fine!” sneered Petunia and went to retrieve the stool from the dining room.

“What about the hat?” pressed Severus.

“Nothing,” mumbled the girl with her mouth full of sandwich.

“Don't speak with your mouth full and it's clearly not nothing if you intend to hide it!”

“Well, the hat wanted me in Slytherin,” the girl said and shrugged.

Snape choked on his tea and began coughing.

“What? And just how are you in Gryffindor then?” he coughed out. She had to be having him on. He'd never seen a more perfect example of Gryffindor foolishness than the one before him.

“I asked it not to put me there,” she explained, timidly. “And... I may have... threatened to burn it if it didn't put me somewhere else! But.. But I didn't mean to! I didn't know it could read my mind!”

Snape studied her. She was serious?

“And why, if I may ask, would you especially ask not to be put there?”

“Erh... Well..”

“Well?”

“I heard... Well, Malfoy was really mean to Ron and then he was send there and... then someone told me only bad wizards go there,” she explained as she blushed.

“Hmm... That shows just how much Mr Weasley knows,” mused Snape.

“I didn't say it was Ron!” protested the girl.

“I do have a brain, young lady,” replied Snape.

He was well aware of the bad reputation of his house. It wasn't entirely undeserved as there had been more dark wizards there than in the other houses but the idea that Slytherins were all evil was not only wrong but also very problematic.

“I will look forward to seeing what else your aunt got for you,” he smirked.

The girl grimaced in response but a small smile on her lips didn't escape Snape's eyes as she picked up her teacup.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Next up: Minerva contacts Dumbledore


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3303