A World Of Grey Clouds by Livia Ethelind
Summary: To the world Harry Potter is either a deranged freak or a celebrated hero, but the truth about Harry and the secret the child carries is about to turn the world upside down - not only Harry's but Snape's as well!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Depressed, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Girl!Harry, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 158605 Read: 151861 Published: 07 Feb 2016 Updated: 19 Feb 2018
I will by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Dumbledore's decision
It was very much like Harry had imagined. She had been in McGonagall's office on several occasions but never in her private quarters. Like Dumbledore's, she noted, they were entered through the office. The walls in her sitting room had a Victorian wallpaper in cream with green plants crawling across it in beautiful patterns. There were bookcases and a cabinet with what appeared to be photographs and awards - some of them for Quidditch. They were seated at a low coffee table in two large wine-colored armchairs. The fireplace was lit and Harry felt very comfortable.

“Have a biscuit,” said the professor and pushed the plate over to Harry.

She put down her teacup and took one. There was something she had wanted to speak to McGonagall about and she had planned to do it when she would have come to visit. Why was it even that she didn't? Harry had heard Dumbledore say he had told Snape to stay at Hogwarts but what about McGonagall?

“Umm, professor?” she mumbled and put her half-eaten biscuit down on her saucer.

“Yes, Harry?”

“I was just wondering... Why didn't you come to see me?”

McGonagall lips were pulled in a weak smile and her eyes were sad.

“Well, Harry, we were locked out of the wards. We watched the house from outside. If you had come out earlier you would have seen us. I'm so terribly sorry, Harry. I really did mean to come.”

“Why were you locked out?” asked Harry.

“The Headmaster didn't think it a good idea for us to come – but Harry you really mustn't think the worst of him. Professor Dumbledore can be wrong about things too. When he is we will take care of it. We don't need you to fight him for us,” she explained. “I believe he has made some great mistakes and that his current ideas are very foolish. Nonetheless I have no reason to doubt his intentions. I know he cares about you and it pains him greatly to see you this angry.”

“I don't care. I hate him,” huffed Harry.

“I cannot say that it is not justified. But Harry, don't let this consume you. It will be fine. I promise. Now, Harry, finish your biscuit. Would you like a bath before bed?”

Harry considered this. Yes, she did. She didn't smell like roses at the moment but having worn these clothes now they weren't fresh either and she had nothing to change back into. McGonagall had brought her coat back with her but that wasn't enough.

“Thank you, professor, but I just realized I don't have any clothes.”

“It's alright. I believe we will be fetching your belongings tomorrow.”

But even then...

“But professor, what about tonight?” asked Harry.

“I may shrink some of my own for you. Now, I've placed a second toothbrush in the bathroom that you may use. It's the yellow one. I shall ready your bath for you then,” replied McGonagall and rose.

“Umm, professor!”

“Yes, Harry?”

“I was just wondering... I know that the tests said that I'm... related to professor Snape but how is that? I asked him but he wouldn't say?”

McGonagall sighed.

“Harry, I'm honestly not sure whether it is my place to tell you that. I believe professor Snape should be the one to do that.”

“But he won't! Please, professor! I just don't understand! I thought it was James! Did he know? What would he think? And there's another thing I don't understand. Did they know I was a girl? Why didn't they tell you?” Harry continued.

“Harry! Calm down! How about this: You go take a bath and get ready for bed and then I will tell you something before you sleep?”

Harry considered this. It was better than nothing. She nodded and got up to follow McGonagall to the bathroom. It was rather large and beautiful with marble floor and sinks. The bathtub there was lowered into the floor and could easily fit three adults. McGonagall flicked her wand and it began filling with water. While Harry waited for it to fill McGonagall left and returned with a plain white nightgown which she shrunk until it was only slightly too big for Harry.

“I'm sorry I don't own any pajamas. Perhaps I should have brought some from the infirmary but I didn't think of it. Now, you take your bath and when you come out we will talk.”

A while later Harry emerged from the bathroom in the nightgown. She walked into the living room where she found that McGonagall had transformed her couch into a bed. Harry carefully crawled into it and found it really soft. McGonagall sat in her armchair watching her.

“Harry, you have to understand that people can do wrong things for reasons that seem right to them. One bad deed doesn't make them bad people. Do you know why you had to pretend to be a boy?”

“My aunt?”

“Well, yes, but she was not the one who placed that spell on you.”

“My d... I mean James?”

“Yes, it was he who initially told everyone you were a boy. I suspect he was also the one who named you. Your aunt didn't agree with that so she initially raised you as a girl but once you had to enter the world she needed you to be a boy or people would have questioned your name.”

“But why would he do that? What did my mum say?”

“Well, Harry, James loved you very much and your mother too but he was very afraid that your mother would tell professor Snape about you and that he would lose you both. Your mother wrote a letter explaining that the 'girl' was professor Snape's and James believed that by transforming you into a boy and replacing your features with his own he would be able to keep you. You mother was not pleased of course and she tried to get help.”

“I don't understand. Why didn't she just take me away?” said Harry in a small voice.

“She couldn't, Harry, James wouldn't let her. Sadly none of her letters were delivered.”

“He held her prisoner?” cried Harry and sat up on the bed.

“Harry,” said McGonagall. “I know this isn't pleasant to hear but please do try to remain calm.”

“You lied to me! You all said they loved each other and that my father was a great man!”

“He was. He still died protecting you and your mother. He was still the man I knew. I have no doubt that he loved your mother and you.”

“The why would he do that?”

“Some times people do things that only make sense to them. Love is a strong emotion. It can make us do strange things.”

“Well, then I'll never love anyone! That is horrible!” huffed Harry.

“Oh, Harry, don't say things like that. I know you are upset. Please, lie down. Was it wrong of me to tell you?” McGonagall said softly.

“I'm alright. Goodnight, professor,” mumbled Harry and lay back down.

“Goodnight, Harry. If you need anything, anything at all, please call me,” replied McGonagall and rose from her chair. She nodded to Harry and turned down the lights before she left.

Harry was left in the semi-darkness. She pulled the cover over her head and curled up. Her eyes were watering but she made no sound. The worst part of this was that for some reason the idea didn't seem foreign to her. It was almost like being reminded of something you had long since forgotten. She didn't understand were this recognition came from but it made her sick. What was to become of her? Who was she even? She sure as hell was neither James' son nor his daughter and if she had to be honest she no longer wanted to be. Had he really kept her mother locked away? Like she had been at the Dursleys'? But what about her mother? She felt sorry for her. She knew what it was like. But couldn't she have tried harder? Why was it so difficult to leave? Another thought came to Harry. Hadn't his parents, well, James and Lily, been married? So... Had she cheated on James with... Snape? That she could understand would make James angry. And why?

Harry suddenly felt more like an orphan than she ever had in her entire life. She didn't have any parents anymore. Not even pretend ones. She didn't want to be James' daughter because he was the one who had done this to her and her mother. She didn't want to be Lily's daughter because clearly she was the one who had made this mess. She didn't want to be Snape's daughter because that was just wrong... He was a nasty old bat who hated her. Even if he had helped her. Well, he was not to be trusted. With these thoughts whirling around in her head it was a long time until Harry finally fell asleep.



Minerva looked up in surprise when Severus entered the great hall at breakfast. Poppy wasn't present but Pomona, Irma, Filius and the Headmaster were. In the summer the teachers only dined in the great hall if they chose too, and only those who remained as many either left for the summer or were only there part of the holiday. Severus could not leave the school completely since he was one of the four Heads. Still, he rarely if ever joined the others.

“Good morning, Severus!” smiled Pomona.

Severus nodded to her and walked over to Minerva.

“I would like a word with you,” he stated.

Mentioning the whole Harry Potter business here was not a good idea. He knew the other staff members had not yet been involved and should not be until further notice.

“Very well,” said Minerva and rose from her seat, leaving her cup of tea behind.

“I would like to see you both in my office at noon,” said the Headmaster calmly.

“Of course,” nodded Minerva and followed Severus into the hallway.

“Where is she?” inquired Severus once they were alone.

“In my quarters. I let her sleep in. I think the poor girl had a rough night.”

“What will we do with her? We cannot let anyone see her until the Headmaster has prepared for the public reaction.”

Severus had spent a long time last night considering this aspect. Would the girl remain Harry Potter or would another identity be found for her? Severus knew it wasn't the practical view but he found he really didn't like her continuing as a Potter. Not because she was his rather than James' but because he couldn't stand the thought that she should carry the name of the man who did such things to her mother.

“That is most likely what Albus wishes to discuss. We also need him to accompany us to Surrey so we may get her things. I've had the house elfs wash what she came in so she can wear it today as well but she has nothing else with her. Did she really run away with nothing?”

“I've seen her closet and what she has isn't fit to be called clothes,” replied Severus.

“Then I suppose she will have to get more. We might possibly take her to Hogsmeade to get some. I don't suppose anyone will recognize her.”

“Perhaps not. When will you take her?”

“Oh, Severus, I that reminds me. I'm behind in my work now and while I enjoy her company she cannot stay in my living room. As for going to Hogsmeade I surely will volunteer if I can find the time. I suggest we discuss this with the Headmaster later today.”

Severus nodded. He knew perfectly well Minerva couldn't be there to look after the girl constantly – and the girl needed near constant supervision. Not only because she had recently run away twice but also because that child seemed to get herself in trouble whenever you were not looking. They were all busy however. Poppy more so than Severus and Minerva. This would prove difficult.



No, don't! I already told you!” Harry heard her cry. “Told me? And I'm suppose to believe that? I'm supposed to believe anything?” replied the man. “Please! At least let me..” But the begging was cut short. “NO! I'm not letting him touch MY CHILD! He's not taking anything else! After everything he's done! After everything YOU'VE done! I cannot...” the man yelled. “Don't do this! Can't we talk... No! At least... Listen!” Sounds of a struggle were heard through the grey clouds. “I'm through listening to you! I trusted you and you did this to me! I'm not going to let you ruin this!” The woman clearly moved closer as her voice became louder: “I can't tell you enough how sorry I am, but don't do this! It's insane!” The male followed her. “Or what? You'll run to him will you? And you'll take the baby? Don't you think I know? He'll kill you! Yes, he will! He's one of them, Lily! And you... It's disgusting!” The grey clouds were clearing and slowly becoming a mist. Movement could be seen within the mist as two figures came closer. “How dare you say that!” cried the woman. A flash of red followed as her form swirled closer. “I'm doing this to protect us! From him and from you! You're not in your right mind! How could you be if you are seriously considering...” replied the man darkly. “I? I am out my mind? You're the one with your wand out, James! Calm down!” Just then a shape moved in the mist and the dark silhouette of a wand was pointed towards Harry. “You'll understand. You will see it's for the best. I can't lose you.” Then followed a bright yellow light that flashed through the clouds. Harry screamed and as she did her voice melted together with another. The light turned green and the mist cleared away completely. The figure pointing the wand at her was no longer there but she saw the same flash of her mother's red hair as she fell to the floor revealing another figure behind her.

Harry woke up when her body slammed into the floor. For a moment she struggled against the cover she was entangled with – believing she being crushed by a python. The moment she got free she crawled away from the bed and sat on the floor looking around the room. Where was she? What had happened? Oh yeah. This was McGonagall's living room.

“Harry? What are you doing on the floor? Are you well?” said McGonagall who had just appeared in the doorway.

“It's nothing, professor. What time is it?”

“Almost noon. I put your clothes in the bathroom. You may want to change now so you can have a bit of food before I go to see the Headmaster.”

“You have to see him?” grimaced Harry.

“Yes, I thought you might find a book to entertain you meanwhile? It's best if you do not leave.”

Harry hurried to her feet and went into the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and washed her face before dressing in the clothes she had worn yesterday which seemed to have been cleaned during the night because they smelled fresh. She didn't bother wearing the stockings. Those were torn anyway so she only put on the dress and the shoes. When she came back into the living room there was a plate with toast and fruit on the table with a glass of pumpkin juice. She sat down and finished her meal rather quickly. She was alone since McGonagall had left for her office. As Harry was finishing an apple, McGonagall returned to see if she was done.

“Now, I will be back shortly! It cannot be much more than an hour,” said McGonagall as she vanished the plate.

Harry then followed her with her eyes as McGonagall left for the Headmaster's office. What was this about? Why wasn't she invited too? She suddenly realized she had shoved Dumbledore the night before and he wasn't likely to be happy about that. She wasn't the least bit sorry she did it but she also didn't know what to do with herself. Was he going to be very angry? Would he send her back for it? No, then he would have done so last night, right?

Harry sat for a while and thought about this. She didn't like that they were going to speak without her present. She had already overheard one of their discussions and found that there was a lot of things said that she would have wished to weigh in on. Harry felt powerless. Last night she had felt somewhat better since Snape actually gave her something to do. She would have preferred to be told of the plan beforehand and not have had to figure it out for herself in there but it was still something. If she could have had anything she would wish to make all the decisions herself but she knew they weren't at all likely to let her. Still it was something. It did occur to Harry that maybe, just maybe, they weren't going to talk about her. After all they were running the school too. Not knowing wasn't nice. What was she supposed to do? Just sit here for an hour?

She got up and moved over to McGonagall's bookcase. Perhaps she should read a book after all? She browsed the titles. Most of them were academic. They were mostly transfiguration books and charms books. She found a few on Quidditch and was momentarily excited until she realized that they were not current and instead were biographies of former Quidditch players or books that were at least thirty years old. Above her she could see some that appeared to be defense against the dark arts – judging by the titles but she couldn't reach them. She finally settled for a history book about the highland clans that at least seemed slightly interesting.

Harry wasn't sure how much time had passed but she was certain it had to have been more than an hour. She had given up trying to read and was instead browsing the images. There were several colorful pictures of family crests and kilt-wearing wizards. A few pages ago Harry had come across the McGonagall clan which had peaked her interest until she found that the history started ages ago and she couldn't be bothered to read through it all. She put the book on the coffee table and sighed. Where was McGonagall? She could have entertained herself just fine if she was permitted to walk around the castle. At the very least could she not go to the library? There at least she knew they had books that actually interested her! But she couldn't be seen. Harry wished she had her invisibility cloak with her but that was hidden inside a shirt and locked in her trunk.

Then again, couldn't she take a quick trip to the library anyway? There couldn't be that much staff at Hogwarts this time of year and she would be careful. Harry poked the book on the table with her foot. She was going to die from boredom that was for sure! Of course she should be back before McGonagall returned. She got up from the chair and walked into McGonagall's office. There was an antique clock hanging on the wall. It was almost half past one. She wasn't exactly sure what time it was when McGonagall left but she knew it was before noon. And hadn't McGonagall said only an hour? Well, she might as well do it. There was no telling when the professor would be back and Harry was pretty sure she would go mad soon. She walked over to the door and stepped outside. She left the door slightly open. She knew the doors were locked magically and she didn't want to risk coming back and being unable to enter. The girl turned and began sneaking to the library.



“I see you are already here,” Severus stated as he walked into the Headmaster's office and found Minerva sitting there.

“Good afternoon,” nodded the witch.

Just then the door to the Headmaster's private quarters opened and the old man stepped out. Severus tensed up at the sight of him.

“I have called you here today to inform you of my plans. I would have had Poppy be present but she is currently at St. Mungo's. I will of course be open to suggestion whenever the circumstances allow it.”

“I see,” said Snape, sounding not at all convinced.

“Since Harry has decided to live publicly as a girl we will need an explanation for this change.. I believe Petunia's suggestion was an excellent idea. Therefore I suggest we present her as James' stepdaughter. We will say the father is unknown but that James took her in as his own.”

“And just how will you explain her living as a boy for all these years?” asked Minerva.

“I intend to make it simply an error based on her name.”

“Potter announced her as a boy before he died. Are you suggesting he would have made the mistake?” said Snape and rolled his eyes.

“To his friends he did. We need only worry about silencing one. The ministry learned about it through the birth certificate James filled in. While you were out looking for Harry at her relatives' house I had an interesting conversation with Petunia. She told me she once referred to Harry as 'Harriet'. That gave me the idea that perhaps 'Harry' could be short for Harriet and James simply wrote the shortened name down by mistake? That way she could still be known as Harry Potter.”

Severus narrowed his eyes. Of course! Of course it would all just be a mistake! And James' reputation remained unsullied.

“And why would her relatives not draw our attention to that mistake?” he sighed.

“Perhaps they didn't know how to contact us?” replied Dumbledore.

“All that is very well but I'm not sure Harry would wish to keep James' actions a secret. She was very upset about it and I don't think...” began Minerva.

“You told her?” hissed Severus.

“She wanted to know! Doesn't she have a right to know?” McGonagall defended herself.

Severus didn't know what to say. He knew it could only be more upsetting for her. He knew how upsetting it had been for him. Honestly he hadn't quite expected her to believe it. After all she had heard nothing but the best of James. Severus took a deep breath before he turned to face Dumbledore.

“You know I still would prefer giving her a new identity that would save her from life in the public eye. However, if you so disagree I will agree this is the next best option. So you would have her renamed 'Harriet'?”

“I would,” admitted Dumbledore. “She would still be the Potter heiress. I've spoken to the goblins and they agree that since James not only knew but also willfully left her the Potter fortune she is still the owner of that vault.”

“So I take it you have absolutely no intention of revealing what James Potter did, do you?” Snape snarled.

“Severus, would that really accomplish anything but cause additional questions? It's done. He is no longer with us. What purpose can that serve?” replied Dumbledore sorrowfully.

“Of course there cannot be cracks in his golden memory,” huffed Severus in reply.

“Minerva, I will not only have a lot of work to do in the ministry soon but I will also be busy with the press. I will need your to take over my work while I am otherwise occupied,” said the Headmaster.

“Albus! I cannot possibly! I'm already behind on my own work! And now I'm taking care of Harry as well! Can you not...” gasped Minerva.

Minerva, you are the Deputy Headmistress. If you find you are too busy you may ask another member of staff to take over some of your own duties,” replied Dumbledore. “This has to take precedence over anything else – you must agree.”

“I cannot possibly look after her at the same time! Severus can you...”

His eyes went wide. Absolutely not! He had only offered to take her in because he was desperate. Because he owed it to Lily to make sure she didn't remain with her aunt and uncle. If there was any other alternative for her – he wouldn't take her. It was better for her and everyone else. But it's only for the rest of the summer! Surely, you can... No! It wouldn't work. They couldn't stand each other after all! And the girl was surely hurting and needed someone she could talk to. What are you afraid of? Nothing! He just knew it was better this way. What if... You like her? Is that it? What if you like her? No, he couldn't ever like her there was no danger of that. Then what is the problem?

“No, I cannot Minerva! Perhaps Poppy can...?”

“You might as well, Severus, after all she will be part of your house,” smiled the Headmaster.

What was this? Severus studied the old man. This was unexpected. Hadn't Dumbledore been insisting that he shouldn't get too close to her? Or had he decided that there was no danger in just one summer? No, there was something else going on here. The Headmaster didn't just change his position over night without a reason.

“What?” said Severus.

“There's also the question of where to house her, Albus. I don't believe it would be a good decision to simply place her in a Slytherin dormitory. Nor would I simply have moved her to a female dormitory in Gryffindor,” interrupted Minerva

“What would you then have me do?”

“I don't see the problem there,” added Severus.

“Well, think of the reaction. The other girls might not feel comfortable with a person they recently believed to be a boy just being thrown in there without them getting to know her first. Furthermore, I think Harry would prefer to have some place to herself until she feels comfortable staying in the dormitory.”

“I must admit they might not be welcoming at first but I don't believe hiding from them would help either,” said Severus.

Even if there were any problems he was certain he could handle it.

“I know but she could still go to the common room. She could stay in the dormitory whenever she feels comfortable with it.”

“That's all very well but where would you have her then?” asked the Headmaster.

“We can set up one of the guestrooms for her,” suggested Minerva.

“Then we would have to do extensive warding so that security would be as high as the common rooms. Further more it would not be hard for someone to follow her and find out where she sleeps,” said Dumbledore and gave both professors a pointed look. “No, we may well tell everyone she sleeps in a guestroom but I would not be comfortable with that. If she must sleep anywhere other the the dorms I suggest she have a room in the private quarters of one of you two. That way she would be protected.”

“You cannot be serious!” gasped Severus.

“Well, I would not agree to it either, Severus, however since you insisted on being her Head of House I think it's only logical that you be the one to take her in. After all you have already offered to do so!”

This was too much. What on earth was going on? Severus couldn't take it anymore.

“Stop it! What do you think you're doing? Haven't you been the one to repeatedly remind us that I cannot publicly claim her? And now you are threatening to move her in with me? Have you lost your mind?” roared Severus.

Minerva stood and looked at the two wizards.

“I would also like an explanation.”

“I am only doing what I believe is best for Harry. She seemed so cast down yesterday, as did you and I thought that perhaps if I bend a little it would make you all more comfortable – despite it being a risk.”

“So that's it! You finally realize you've successfully lost the girl's trust and loyalty and so you give in to us to win her back?” hissed Severus.

“Severus, I don't believe it's anything like that. Yes, I worry for Harry. I didn't mean to hurt her but this is as much for you. You found out you had a daughter and I thought you might wish to know her. I already know the options and I'm certain I will have to send her back next summer because I don't believe you will find a better family for her where she will be as safe as she is there. Perhaps during the school year you could...”

“If you think you can buy my loyalty this way you are mistaken!”

“I know you, Severus, don't do anything foolish,” replied Dumbledore.

“Like what? Are you afraid I will claim her publicly and take her away from you? I could do that! Place her in another school, introduce her to my friends.”

At that Dumbledore's face went white. So this was exactly what the old man was afraid of. Severus wouldn't do that of course. There were too many people wishing to kill the girl for Severus to protect her alone. Not to mention some of them were part of the only people Severus referred to as allies and friends. Just how would Lucius react to this? Severus didn't want to know. A part of him wanted to refuse having anything to do with this and leave the room but he knew he couldn't. What would Lily think? It was her child and he couldn't leave her in Dumbledore's hands. Not after the amount of incompetence he had shown. Who else was there? Minerva and Poppy would surely help but they couldn't do this for him. He also wouldn't ever ask them to. Lily had asked him to take her away. He couldn't let her down again.

“Fine, I will take her,” he said.

“Severus! Are you sure?” whispered Minerva.

“Her belongings will need to be fetched. The cupboard is magically locked and we can no longer enter,” continued Severus.

“So you have no objections?” said Minerva.

“I most certainly do. I believe she can safely be placed in the dorm, however if you insist that is not possible I agree that she should be near a professor. I will take her,” replied Severus.

“Then that is settled. She will remain here at Hogwarts. As for the rest I may accompany you to Surrey and let you in. Then I would like you, Minerva, to take over for me. I must speak to some associates at the Ministry before taking the final steps.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Next up: Harry's reaction


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3303