A World Of Grey Clouds by Livia Ethelind
Summary: To the world Harry Potter is either a deranged freak or a celebrated hero, but the truth about Harry and the secret the child carries is about to turn the world upside down - not only Harry's but Snape's as well!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Depressed, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Girl!Harry, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 158605 Read: 151870 Published: 07 Feb 2016 Updated: 19 Feb 2018
A lily by any other name... by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Harry's new name is chosen...
Harry was absentmindedly flipping through the pages of the history book when there was a knock on the door. She dutifully rose from her chair and went to open it. There was Snape looking... eerily pleased? Harry recognized that particular smirk well since she'd seen it more times than she could count whenever Snape believed he had successfully bullied her into the dust during class and she nervously bit her lip.

“I see you have resumed your search?” said Snape, more as an observation than a question.

“Yes, sir,” Harry replied. Well, she had never really stopped. She had to send in her new name the next day and she was starting to panic. In fact her name was all she could think about.

“I will call you when it is time for dinner,” nodded Snape and turned to leave.

“Sir?” she blurted out before she could stop herself.

“Yes?” replied Snape, looking over his shoulder.

“It's just... I have to send in the name tomorrow,” Harry began.

“I'm glad that bit of information got through to you. I suppose expecting you to grasp such a concept in less than three days is unreasonable.”

“I just meant... I mean, I have so little time and... I can't think of anything, sir. It just... Everything seems – just not right,” she continued as she struggled to describe her plight.

“Is there a purpose to this or are you just wasting my time stating the obvious?” replied Snape with some agitation.

Harry sighed and looked down at her shoes. How was she going to go about this? McGonagall had refused to tell her anything about Snape's relationship with her mother on the grounds that Snape should be the one to tell her and the man himself hadn't said a word about it. In fact Harry didn't think he wanted to talk about it. Anything could happen. He could refuse to answer her or snap at her. She didn't think the chance of a proper answer was high but what other choice did she have?

“Did my mother ever... When you knew her... Did she ever talk about something, anything that I could use? Did she like any names?” inquired Harry.

Snape didn't say a word and Harry didn't dare look up at him to see his expression. After a while she heard him continue out the door and as he went he replied: “We never discussed the topic.”

That was it? Harry was beginning to get nervous. She realized she was simultaneously afraid that Snape and her mother had been very close and afraid that they hadn't. The idea of Snape knowing lots about her mother and never even mentioning it once was awful – considering that Harry had been desperately searching for stories about her parents – well, her mother and stepfather. Come to think of it she reckoned Snape had been the only one to offer her any substantial knowledge about James other than him being a Chaser. The other possibility was that Harry's conception had been the result of an affair between two people who barely knew each other. And either way, Harry was an accident and had caused nothing but trouble by existing. She knew that well. She had been told all her life that she was nothing but trouble and a burden but she couldn't stand being alone with that thought. Not just now anyway. She didn't bother thinking her actions through. Taking a few hurried steps she crossed the distance between them, reached out and grabbed Snape's sleeve. He froze and looked down at her with a strange mixture of surprise and annoyance. Harry quickly let go but Snape didn't move.

“Yes?”

“Sorry, sir. I was just wondering...”

Yes?” urged Snape a bit more impatiently.

Well, sink or swim. Sink or swim. She really would never consider this if she weren't out of options.

“If you had known always. I mean if someone told you when I was a baby,” began Harry.

What?

“I just mean... What would you have named me... Professor?” she said, holding her breath.

Snape just looked at her with a blank expression, that Harry couldn't decipher the meaning of. She felt incredibly small and stupid when he looked at her that way and she couldn't at all tell whether this had been a good idea. Then Snape sighed and looked away from her.

“I don't know.”

And with that he left the hallway to its gloom and Harry to her thoughts.



Severus Snape strode through the hallways – the scent of bat spleens still lingering on his hands. He had tried to distract himself and get back to work but the girl's question had made him uneasy and he couldn't stop thinking about it. He had left his solitude before it would drive him insane. He hadn't told the girl but he didn't think she would dare go looking for him after asking him that. Right now there was only one place he could go. Hopefully he would be let in. As he reached the door he knocked firmly and waited until the door swung open seemingly by itself and then he stepped into the office, finding Minerva behind her desk.

“Severus? Did you lose your way?” she inquired sternly as she looked up from her paperwork.

Severus closed the door behind him and stepped closer.

“Minerva,” he nodded. “I trust I'm interrupting so I shall make it brief.”

Minerva put away her quill and stared at him over the rim of her glasses.

“I will be behind no matter what I do. I can spare a few minutes. Though, I must admit I am surprised to see you here.”

“Minerva, I... About what I said...” Severus struggled to find the words.

“I was only worried, Severus. About you both. I understand why you might misunderstand that. I only wanted to help.”

Severus nodded in reply.

“I think you should say what you came here to say.”

Severus tightened his lips. As far as he was concerned the fault was not all his – even if most of it was.

“I need your help,” he admitted reluctantly. “I don't know how to handle this.”

“Then I'm going to ask you again what I asked you Thursday night. Do you want to be a part of her life?”

He flinched. He could feel the same agitation rising that had caused him to snap at her in the first place. He knew it wasn't really directed at her or her nosiness but rather the entire question upset him.

“I can't.”

“I'm not asking you whether or not you can, Severus! I am asking you whether you want to!”

“I don't know,” he replied gesturing his hands in defeat.

“That's not good enough, Severus. Filius could protect her. I know he could. And in Ravenclaw she wouldn't be as cut off from her friends. But Severus...” she said holding up her hand to silence him as he opened his mouth to object. “I would understand, I would agree if I believed she was getting something in return.”

“What do you mean?” sneered Severus and walked to the window. He was trying to be civil, he really was but there were few things he hated more than discussing his feelings. In fact only the Headmaster usually got away with raising the topic and that was only because Severus knew he hadn't a fair chance of ever besting him in a duel.

“I mean, Severus, that if you wanted her in Slytherin to be close to her, I could understand that. I would support that.”

“She doesn't need me. It's too dangerous.”

“But you would if you could?”

He stared out at the grounds.

“Yes. For Lily. It was her wish that I...”

“Severus!” interjected Minerva.

He lowered his gaze causing his black hair to hide his face from the other professor. Would he have had the girl with Lily? Together? Absolutely. He would have gone on the run with them if it meant protecting them. But Lily was gone. If he had been given the baby back then what would he have done? He was pretty certain that child would have been his sole reason for existing had he been given her when he was heart broken after Lily's death. Now? He didn't know her. He needed to keep her safe – even though that meant never claiming her. But who did he truly trust with her? Yes, he knew Minerva and Filius both were more than capable of fending off anyone that might attack her as well as anyone could but the problem with this particular girl was that not only did many people want her dead – she also went out of her way to get into trouble. He had seen just how well Minerva had dealt with that. And Filius? He likely wouldn't be much different. In fact, Severus couldn't really trust her to stay out of danger unless he was personally involved.

“I need to protect her,” he said slowly.

Behind him Minerva carefully examined him. Then she smiled faintly. As he once again turned around to face her she nodded slowly.

“And I believe you are to best man for it,” she agreed. “But listen to me – just because you cannot claim her doesn't mean you cannot be there.”

“She wouldn't want me to be.”

“Have you asked her?”

He narrowed his eyes. He had not. But he hadn't wanted to hear the answer – regardless of what it would be. It was better to change the subject.

“The Headmaster came to see me.”

“I am not surprised.”

“Then you can imagine what he wanted, I suppose?” asked Severus.

“James, I presume.”

“He called her my victory over James,” Severus continued thoughtfully.

“Victory? That's an interesting viewpoint certainly but Severus, I need to know you don't believe this. Or at least that you don't dwell on it. If you ever take her I want to know it is not to spite James.”

“I will protect her for Lily... and for her own sake.”

“Well, then...” said Minerva as she rose from her desk and made her way towards him. She fixed him with a stern look and held out her hand. “Peace then? We are together in this?”

Severus shook her hand and nodded shortly. He wished Minerva a good evening and left. As he walked back to his quarters many questions were floating around in his mind. Perhaps Minerva was right. Perhaps he contribute something to the girl's life after all. So long as it was a secret.



The sound of her feet repeatedly hitting the dungeon walls resonated in Harry's room. She was lying on her back on top of her bed. She was lying across the bed with her feet placed up on the wall as she lightly kicked the wall again and again out of nothing but sheer boredom. Tomorrow it would be over. Tomorrow she could leave the dungeon. But she needed a name and her mind was empty. Suddenly there was a knock on the door but this time Snape didn't wait for her to open and instead simply strode inside.

“Did no one ever tell you not to wear shoes in bed?” he huffed upon seeing her.

Harry rolled into a sitting position and got off the bed muttering something which someone might interpret as 'Sorry, sir'. That was beginning to be her go-to phrase when near Snape since it seemed to be the correct answer to most of his inquiries.

“Dinner is ready. Follow me,” Snape instructed before leaving the room with Harry trailing behind him. She was beginning to feel more and more like a pet of some sort – seeing as she only left her room for meals or when McGonagall was visiting.

“Professor?” she said as she suddenly remembered something he had mentioned before. “You said the Headmaster would tell the staff about me today?”

“Yes, I believe he will make the announcement at dinner,” Snape replied as he took a seat at the table. The food suddenly appeared out of nowhere and Snape poured a glass of water and completely ignored the eager expression on Harry's face.

“So... I can go out then?” she asked.

“No.”

Snape didn't even look at her. Harry was getting annoyed.

“Why?”

Snape took a sip of water and placed some leek tart on his plate.

“Why, sir?” she tried.

“I would think that would be obvious to you? I cannot enter the world until your identity has been sorted,” Snape replied in a bored tone of voice.

“But I can't think of anything!” She said, raising her voice slightly in desperation.

“And why am I not surprised?” huffed Snape. “What would they call you? The Headmaster will inform them that you will be presented when you're ready but until your story has been sorted and you are comfortable with it we cannot let them interrogate you – which I have no doubt some will.”

“But you only gave me until tomorrow!” Harry protested, ignoring the piece of tart that Snape placed on her plate.

“Lower your voice! Tell me, would you rather hide away here until September then?”

Harry closed her mouth. No she wouldn't. But that didn't make it any less fair.

“Fine,” she muttered. “You're no help at all.”

“Enough! Eat your dinner!” the professor sneered as he gave her a look that was clearly meant to end the conversation.

They finished dinner in near total silence except for once when Snape asked her to pass the salt, but Harry didn't notice. She was too busy steaming inside. She wanted to go outside. She wanted to see Hagrid. She wanted to find Hedwig. She wanted to write to Ron and Hermione. She knew the house elf had been stealing her mail, but none of the adults had believed her and so she longed to know what they had written. She was lost in her own thoughts until Snape placed the vial in front of her. She hurriedly drank it before she quickly rose from the table and turned to leave.

“It's polite to ask for permission to leave the table,” Snape suddenly spoke behind her.

Harry froze. “What?” she replied slowly turning around, sure that she had misheard.

“You heard me,” Snape answered without looking up at her.

“You never said that before,” Harry stated, trying very hard to keep her cool. She was already annoyed with Snape for not letting her out and being otherwise totally unfair.

“I did not but I am informing you now. You might do well to remember that for the future.”

“But...” she protested.

“Regardless of what you might think I do not have the time nor stamina to inform you of every single rule of etiquette you are known to break in one lecture.”

You never have to ask anyone's permission!” said Harry, crossing her arms.

Snape looked up at her with a mixture of boredom and condescend. “This in my table in my rooms. If I were to dine at another's house I too would be respectful.”

“How? 'Your cabbage stew is overcooked, you idiot! Can't you read instructions?' or 'Did it not plainly say two teaspoons of salt? Can you actually not read or does being an arrogant dimwit just run in your family?'” Harry snapped mimicking the Potions Master to the best of her ability.

Snape stared at her. It actually pleased Harry that he did not have a snarky comment to throw back at her. For a moment he looked like he was about to fly out of his chair and start yelling but he then seemed to reconsider. “Go to you room,” he finally said, giving her a pointed look before returning his gaze to the table. The sternness of his voice and the look in his eyes were clearly meant as a warning to Harry that she had better retreat and come back when she felt sorry but it only fueled her anger. She was sick of it. Sick of being locked up. Sick of worrying. Sick of being told what to do constantly. She remained where she was, a part of her just wanting to get a rise out of Snape.

“I have had it with your attitude. Go to your room. We will discuss this once you've adjusted your behavior. Do not make me repeat myself,” he sneered as he realized Harry wasn't moving. “This is your final warning.”

She huffed the word 'whatever' and flew out into the hallways, slamming the door behind her.

Harry made it into her bedroom and threw herself on the bed before she realized that there were footsteps following her. Her face was buried in her pillow and even though she knew Snape was there she still jumped slightly when he spoke:

“You have exactly five seconds to apologize, young lady! I will not be spoken to in that manner and I will not allow you to throw tantrums and slam doors! Just what has gotten into you?”

If Harry had had a little more time to consider her position she might have been able to think more rationally and attempt to better the situation. However, she did not. She just couldn't stand listening to him right then. She raised her head, grabbed the pillow and flung it in the direction she assumed Snape to be standing. She missed by about a foot and locked eyes with a furious Snape as the sound of glass breaking reached her ears. She didn't look down. It took her a second to realize but she knew what it was. Snape had momentarily shifted his gaze from her to the broken vial. For a moment he looked shocked, but then that expression was replaced with fury, the likes of which Harry had only seen once before. Her eyes widened as she realized just what sort of a mess she had gotten herself into. Annoying Snape for the fun of it didn't seem like such a good idea now. In fact she had merely been taking her frustrations over her situations out on him. Then he was advancing on her and Harry jumped off the bed with her heart in her throat – ready to make a run for it. She didn't get that far because just then Snape's hands clamped down on her shoulders and prevented her escape.

Harry looked up. She tried to think of something to say – anything, but her mind was empty. Snape's jaw was trembling slightly and to Harry it looked like he was fighting the urge to literally chew her head off.

How many?” Snape's low voice sent chills down Harry's spine. She just stood there with an open mouth, not really understanding the question but petrified by the tone of voice. “How many potions did you skip? Answer me!” Snape then proceeded to shake her once – if a bit roughly. That effectively brought Harry out of her trance.

“Just one!” she gasped.

“I'm warning you! I'll tear this room apart to find them if I must!” the professor hissed.

“No! It was just this one! I swear!” Harry's eyes began to water as she became desperate. She was about to explain when Snape spoke again.

“You swear? And do you think you have given me any reason to believe you can be trusted? Do you?”

“I'm sorry!” cried Harry.

“You're sorry? Well, if you aren't now, you certainly will be! I have half a mind to...”

Harry flinched. She recognized this kind of fury only too well. At the Dursleys it had meant a few days locked in her cupboard or getting beaten up by Dudley. With Snape it meant... Her thoughts went back to Thursday night and what had happened then. She didn't ever want to make Snape that angry with her.

“Please, don't hit me,” she heard a small voice that she barely recognized as her own say. Her eyes found her shoes before the entire sentence was out of her mouth. Snape was silent. That didn't bode well. Harry closed her eyes and waited. His hands didn't loosen their grip, still somehow Harry found that oddly comforting.

The silence probably didn't last for more than a minute but to Harry it seemed like years had dragged by and in the end willed herself to tryingly take a step backwards in an attempt to pull herself away from Snape and storm she was certain was coming. As she did so, Snape's grip momentarily tightened and prevented Harry from moving away. Then he let go of her entirely and then Harry felt his hand slowly raising her chin. Harry's first instinct was to close her eyes but knowing that it wasn't a permanent solution she willed herself to open her eyes and look at Snape. His face was a mask without a hint of emotion. The fury was gone yet this only unnerved Harry even more as she knew it was bound to be just beneath the surface.

“Listen to me,” Snape said sternly. “I never hit you and I never will. Yes, I punished you but I did not harm you – nor did I ever attempt to harm you. Can you understand that? Look at me! I said: Can you understand that?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry offered even though in her mind she was saying 'No'.

“I mean it. I will never harm you. You have nothing to fear from me,” Snape continued, clearly not buying it.

“Okay,” whimpered Harry as she tried to look away as much as Snape would let her. When that didn't work she was forced to look back up at him and consider the words. What did he mean he wouldn't hurt her? He smacked her! That hurt! Alright, maybe not as much as other things she'd experienced but still! Now that she thought about it, it paled considerably to Dudley's treatment. He wouldn't have held back. He did it because he hated her. With Snape she wasn't sure whether he did it for the same reason. Or whether he told the truth about his motivations. Then Harry realized that it couldn't possibly be hate. Compared to Dudley he barely even touched her when he could have easily beaten her bloody.

“Do you understand me?” Snape repeated as he clearly noticed Harry's contemplation.

“Yes, sir,” she replied with passable conviction. “But... I mean... You won't...?”

“I won't,” Snape assured her. “Unless you give me any cause to. Now I will ask you one more time and you will answer me truthfully: How many potions did you skip?”

“Just the one,” Harry assured him. “I swear! It was an accident!”

Snape paused for a moment. “Good,” he replied as he studied her face. “But if I discover you have been lying to me you will be sorry indeed.”

She sighed with relief. He wouldn't find another vial anywhere. It actually gave her a sense of security that Snape was willing to believe her without conducting a search. She had been certain he was going to. Then Snape let go of her completely. He took a step backwards to give them both some space and narrowed his eyes.

“And why did you not take it?”

“I just forgot,” mumbled Harry.

“And you didn't think to tell me? Instead you decided to stuff your mattress with potions?”

“I thought you'd be mad at me,” she replied. She could feel her cheeks flush with embarrassment at the words. She sounded so childish.

“I might find your forgetfulness annoying but I would be nowhere near as angry as I am now. In the future you would do better to come to me strait away.”

“Yes, sir,” said Harry meekly. She hoped Snape didn't remember that he had been furious even before he found out about the vial.

“And do not think I have forgotten your behavior earlier.”

“I'm sorry about that too,” Harry shrugged.

“Do you have any explanation or shall I just put it down to you being a brat?” huffed Snape.

“I was just... upset and bored. I just want to go out.”

Snape picked up her pillow from the floor and threw it back unto the bed. He then drew his wand a vanish the broken glass and spilled potion.

“That is no excuse,” the man snapped as he tidied the place. “It stops now do you hear me? Neither of us are responsible for the situation and all we must do is bear it as best as possible. Now, come with me.”

“Where?” said Harry as quickly tried her eyes when Snape wasn't looking directly at her.

“It seems you cannot remember to take that potion on your own. As a result you will not leave my side during the day - until tomorrow night .”

“But...” she protested. “I'm not taking potions all the time! And I took all the others! You saw me do it!”

“You may consider this a punishment for your behavior as well. Now, come along and bring your assignments. You will occupy yourself with something productive while I work.”



An hour later Harry was sitting in Snape's office, trying very hard to look like she was working when in reality her thoughts were consumed by what had happened that day. Snape had simply placed her at the desk and instructed her to start on her homework and then sat down at his own desk. Harry had wanted to protest Snape's decision about keeping her in sight but she hadn't been able to come up with something she didn't think would make him angrier. At the time when she thought she had come with a really good argument they had been silent for twenty minutes and she realized the ridiculousness of blurting it out then.

Snape didn't look at her. Not even once. Harry thought that was odd seeing as he had brought her there to presumably keep an eye on her. She sighed. Ceasing her pretend-scribbling she chewed the end of her quill. Snape didn't react. What was he working on anyway? Wasn't he supposed to brew yucky potions all day anyway? It was quite obvious that he wasn't correcting anything because Harry could clearly see from her position that the ink was black. She looked back down at her Transfiguration essay. Who needed to know how to turn a beetle into a spoon anyway? Transfigurations were fun and all but Harry thought it was a bit silly. Of course she loved having McGonagall as a teacher and she loved seeing the disasters that always happened in that class but really she couldn't imagine herself ever needing most of those spells. The room was silent - the sound of Snape's quill against the parchment gone. She instantly glanced up and locked eyes with the man who was sitting there watching her. He looked deep in thought but much too serene for Harry's liking. Eager to stay out of trouble for the moment at least she continued her scribbling.

... and the black beetles turn into silver spoons. When using smaller beetles it is important to remember... Harry glanced at the page in her book. That this will not only affect the size of the spoon but in some cases it will also effect the duration of the spell because... She was interrupted in her subpar essay writing when a folded piece of parchment landed in front of her. Harry stared at it for a second and then looked up to find Snape standing at her side. How did he do that? How did he move so quietly?

“What's that?” she inquired. “Professor?”

“That... Is the answer to your question,” Snape replied, giving a short nod as if he had just given a detailed explanation. Then he returned to his desk and continued to ignore her. Harry was puzzled. What question? She looked at the parchment but it offered little explanation in its current position so she reached out for it and unfolded it. She froze. Was this? Really?

“Sir? Is that...?” she near whispered.

“Not entirely,” Snape replied nonchalantly. “The middle name would have been different. Surname probably too. But this would be my suggestion, taking everything into account.”

“Oh,” was all Harry could say as she looked at it. This wasn't at all what she would have expected from Snape. Yes, it was Latin but this was so... so... normal? That wasn't the right word. She wanted to ask a thousand questions especially because as she looked down at the name she didn't hate it. In fact she liked it. But she wasn't about to admit that to him. She carefully folded the paper and snuck it inside her Transfigurations book, hoping that Snape didn't see her doing so.

“Time for dinner, I believe,” said Snape from the other end of the room. “You have five minutes to wash your hands and meet me at the table. Go.”



Harry's ears were ringing still. After dinner Snape had begun a rather long lecture about the importance of the nutrient potions and insisted that she drink it all right in front of him. He was glaring at her the entire time as if he suspected her of somehow vanishing the contents with the power of thought rather that taking it. Harry thought he was being absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable of course since she had hardly complained about them anyway and had taking all but one.

She was sitting on the couch in the living room, pretending to read Hogwarts, A History, while Snape sat in the armchair across from her with a book of his own. As part of the whole 'not leaving Snape's sight' business she had not been allowed to return to her room after dinner even though, in Harry's opinion, she asked nicely. The piece of parchment was lying between the pages of her book and she read it over and over. Snape's spiky handwriting was unmistakable. Nothing else was written on the parchment just the name. Snape had added Harriet as a middle name and honestly Harry wasn't surprised. She didn't like it but then again it seemed most people didn't like their middle names anyway. Her eyes fell on the first name once again. She couldn't deny the warm feeling it was giving her. This name was chosen for her and that felt rather good. Furthermore, it was a suggestion, a gift. She could take it or leave it. When Pomfrey and McGonagall had suggested names they had simply been listing names for her to chose from. They didn't pick them for her specifically. Harry wanted to ask him why. Why this one? She liked this name. When she said it to herself it sounded like her. Why hadn't she thought of this one? Was there any particular reason for Snape to chose this one or was it simply what he would have named his child in general?

“You can stop the charade and hand over what you're hiding right this minute!” Snape sneered right above her. Harry nearly threw the book in the air with surprise.

“Uhm,” said Harry as she searched for something to say. Snape's scowl deepened and he bent down and snatched the sheet of parchment from her book. However as soon as he saw what it was his expression softened as Harry's cheeks turned redder.

“So...” he said in a tone which made Harry unsure of whether he was talking to her or himself.

“I'm sorry, sir. I'll read the book now,” Harry mumbled and reached for the paper but Snape held it out of her reach.

“I suggest... You don't let this distract you any further. Unless you want this on the form I don't see any reason to bring this along,” Snape said and he moved to dispose of it in the fire.

“Yes,” Harry said surprising herself as she jumped off the couch and stepped between Snape and the fireplace.

“Pardon me?” said the man as he looked down at her.

“I mean... I want that on the form... I think... please...”

Snape looked at her with disbelief. “Are you certain? This is an important decision and although I would be thrilled to leave this issue behind us, I will not have you complaining about making the wrong decision a month from now. I know you. You rush headfirst into things without giving it a second thought. This is a serious matter. Are you absolutely certain?”

But Harry didn't agree that everything should be discussed and thought about for ages. In her view, sometimes you just had to go with what feels right.

“Yes,” she replied. “I'm sure.”



Severus raised an eyebrow at her determination. He then picked up the form which was still lying on the small round table and glanced at it before he conjured a quill. He moved to write in the surname just to see whether that would get a reaction from the girl. But as he wrote in the name 'Evans' she didn't even flinch although she had no way of knowing what he was writing. Severus was both surprised and slightly uncomfortable with the amount of trust she was showing. But clearly it had to be a good sign. He moved the quill further to the left to write in the middle name and still the girl didn't move. He wrote in Harriet as quickly as he could. From his point of view that was a necessity decision as well. Then he moved to the first name and now the girl moved. She walked over next to him and Severus immediately put the quill aside. He knew she would reconsider.

“Can I watch?”

The words were unexpected. She seemed almost... excited?

“I suppose you may,” Severus replied although he really thought she should have asked to take over the quill. Then he picked up the quill and with one last glance at the girl he wrote in the first name. He then picked up the form and handed it to her. She stared at it for a few seconds as though she'd never seen parchment before and Severus huffed. Really it was only a piece of paper. But not really. Severus was very surprised indeed. She had been searching for days. Minerva and Poppy had probably suggested a hundred names. Why did she go with his suggestion? Severus didn't think himself particularly good with these things. While he himself thought he had good taste the general public never seemed to agree with him so it was very unexpected that any suggestion of his would be met with anything other than disgust. It seemed it was his victory after all.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Didn't you just?” Severus replied dryly as the form was handed back to him.

“What would you have chosen... for my middle name, I mean... If, you know?”

That was one question Severus hadn't needed to give much thought, while the first name had distracted him from his work for hours. It was also a name he couldn't have suggested since it would require some form of explanation and send the wrong message to some people. With the name Eileen hidden behind the shields of his minds he simply replied:

“Do not concern yourself with such things. Now, it's half past eight and I think it is time you were in bed.”

“What? But I'm not even tired and it's early and I just chose my name. Can't I celebrate that a little?”

“Have you already forgotten that you're being punished? Now, be off. I want you in bed in fifteen minutes!”

“But Snape...”

Bed. Now. Go.

The girl glared at him and disappeared into the hallway. Severus sighed and looked down at the form. It was silly really. Not a big deal. Then why did it feel so important to him? What did it matter to him? There alone in his living room he allowed himself the faintest smile. He folded the form and tapped the document lightly with his wand.

Angelum Ascendentem.

The form flew up and towards the secret door. Severus followed it inside the office and threw a pinch of floo powder in the fire place, allowing it to go to the Headmaster's office. It wasn't the most beautiful magic and certainly not on par with Dumbledore's but it was enough.

Fifteen minutes later Severus knocked on the girl's door and opened it when he heard a distinct 'come in'. He was unsurprised to find the girl not in her bed but on her bed. She had changed to pajamas but she was holding a book in her hands.

“Into bed. Now. Honestly I'm not surprised to find you cannot even follow such simple instructions,” Severus scolded her.

“Fine,” muttered the girl as she crawled into bed a pulled the covers up around herself. “Goodnight then, professor,” she said rather shortly.

“Goodnight, Miss Evans,” replied Severus, addressing her by name for the first time since the discovery. He then immediately turned off the light, only allowing himself to see a glimpse of her surprised face. It was strange to him as well. Stranger than he thought it would be. Whenever he had heard that name before it had been applied to Lily. Before he could give it any further thought he stepped out of the room and closed the door behind him, separating himself from the girl. He stared into the semi-darkness of the hallway, pondering the absurdity of the universe. Then as he made to leave the hallway for the living room he turned towards her door one last time.

“Goodnight, Victoria,” he whispered into the darkness.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Next up: Harry meets the staff.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3303