A World Of Grey Clouds by Livia Ethelind
Summary: To the world Harry Potter is either a deranged freak or a celebrated hero, but the truth about Harry and the secret the child carries is about to turn the world upside down - not only Harry's but Snape's as well!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Depressed, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Girl!Harry, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 158605 Read: 151872 Published: 07 Feb 2016 Updated: 19 Feb 2018
Certainty by Livia Ethelind
Author's Notes:
Hermione's findings!

WARNING: CP has been added as a warning as of this chapter. I can promise you that it's very mild but if this bothers you skip the first section!
Severus stood hidden in the shadows and watched as Hooch began instructing her class. The students didn't know but it was quite common for two of the house heads to watch the first year flying classes. One was Professor McGonagall who occasionally watched the class in plain view as she and Hooch both adored Quidditch and flying and so her presence there was not questioned by anyone. The other was Snape who secretly watched far more classes than his colleague though not due to a love of Quidditch (Merlin forbid) but to scout for potential players for the Slytherin team. They both loved to win and it was personal to them both – Minerva because she loved the sport and had played it herself and Severus because the idea of losing to Minerva was horrid. At times the Headmaster teased them for speaking of their teams' victories as if they were the fruit of their own personal labor. Snape personally detested the sport – or the idea of sports in general but he still invested a good deal of time in his team for the sole purpose of getting to smirk at McGonagall when the cup was won by Slytherin. So far it was working nicely. The cup had been theirs several times in a row now.

Minerva clearly wasn't there today. Odd, considering she usually showed up for the first class of her lions but Snape knew she'd been quite busy lately and was probably unable to come. Good. That gave him an advantage. He glanced at his Snakes and fought the urge to fly over there and give Goyle a few choice words as he observed the boy snacking on a scone and shoving Crabbe instead of listening. Then his eyes involuntarily landed on a black mop of hair and Severus huffed in annoyance. Of course Potter was here. He knew he would be, he'd just happily forgotten.

It was with some annoyance that Snape observed Potter being the first to successfully command the broom, with little surprise that he watched Longbottom soar up with no control of the broom, with even less surprise that he watched Hooch take him to the infirmary, with resignation that he silently cursed her for leaving the students unattended and with utter horror that he watched Malfoy take off. He hadn't really been paying attention as he was still contemplating the flying instructor's short comings but clearly some form of disagreement had occurred between the students. It was seconds before Potter followed him and Severus was just about to make his presence known and order them both down to earth when Malfoy flew off with Potter in pursuit.

After that everything went so fast. Draco clearly threw something and Potter dove after it – only barely managing to catch it and stop the broom before the castle wall would have. The Gryffindors cheered as Potter descended and Severus could now feel a sharp pain in his chest. If anyone had asked him he'd have claimed it had been his breakfast disagreeing with him and not his heart trying to escape his ribs. He managed to get his breathing under control and was about to make his presence known, when Professor McGonagall suddenly appeared and commanded Potter to follow her. Being thus robbed of the best prey he focused his attention on the boy who was his responsibility and strode towards Malfoy. The boys smirk at seeing Potter being taken away quickly vanished when his classmates alerted him to Snape's presence.

“Mr Malfoy, you will follow me,” Snape commanded.

When the boy didn't immediately move, Severus grabbed his arm and pulled the boy along while snapping at the remaining students that they had better go about their business. Now he was walking down towards his office and the boy was practically running to keep up. Why Minerva had only taken Potter to be punished was beyond Severus but then again, he wasn't sure just how much she had actually witnessed. He did, however, feel relieved that she had taken the boy. It was completely unbelievable! The boy flew with all the recklessness of his father! Didn't he see the wall? And it was his first time too! He could have been...

But Severus didn't finish that line of thought as he suddenly felt Draco pull himself out of his grasp. Snape stopped and turned to see the boy back up a few steps. He could feel the rage burning within him. There was no excuse for the conduct of either boy and even though he knew Draco to consider himself above others – and to some extension their rules, he had expected better of the boy.

“Really, Professor, I can walk perfectly fine on my own,” Draco said with the beginnings of a sneer that quickly disappeared once he locked eyes with his Head of House.

Severus didn't dignify that with a verbal reply. He simply reached out and grabbed the child's ear before continuing his journey to the dungeons. The boy yelped at the initial pain when he didn't follow but quickly picked up his pace to ensure that his ear remained attached. Severus let go as soon as they were both within his office and closed the door. He then turned to face the boy who had now clearly realized that he was in actual trouble though he seemed confused as to why.

“Do you have any excuse, Mr Malfoy?”

Severus knew the boy and had his suspicions of why he had provoked the other boy and taken off on the broom. Well, he wouldn't say he knew him well, but certainly better than any of the other snakes. While Severus was the boy's godfather he hadn't spent much time near the boy as he didn't generally like children and Lucius had never expected him to. However, he had been a guest at Malfoy Manor at times and there observed the boy and later he had provided private lessons in preparation for Hogwarts to Draco on the elder Malfoy's request. Snape didn't consider himself a likeable person and did his best to be intimidating to children but Draco had hung on every word he said and seemed almost content during those lessons. Based upon his observations at the manor Snape had concluded that what Draco received from him that he so enjoyed was attention. Even though he was certain that both parents cared deeply for the boy they were both distant and dismissive and preferred to show their appreciation with material goods. Therefore the child preferred the undivided attention of his dour tutor to time spent begging for his parents' attention because there at least he was being acknowledged.

“It was just Potter!” Draco explained.

“Can we agree, Mr Malfoy, that you had no business in the air when Madam Hooch had forbidden it in her absence?”

The boy nodded but quickly added: “Sir, it was only a bit of fun! And I can fly perfectly well!”

“Draco!” The boy winced at the sound of his first name which he had never heard Snape directly refer to him by before. “Not only did you endanger yourself and a classmate by provoking him to follow – No! That was your intention and you know that! - but you also disobeyed a teacher and painted your house in a bad light! Don't you realize that your misbehavior reflects badly on your entire house and therefore me as well?”

The boy suddenly didn't look so sure of himself. “You have detention today and tomorrow after dinner. You may report to Mr Filch.” The boy's eyes grew wide and he looked up at Snape with remorse in his eyes. “And Draco, I hope you realize that had you been caught by another member of staff your house would certainly have lost points and your housemates would have found out.”

That most certainly did something. Malfoy now looked positively terrified – undoubtedly thinking of what the other Slytherins would think of that.

“I am very disappointed in you. I will have you know I expect better from my students and if this happens again I will consider contacting your parents. You may leave.”

Severus dismissed him with a wave of his hand and the boy didn't waste any time and quickly ran for the door with a hurried: “Yes, sir! Sorry, sir!”

Later that night broken glass covered parts of Snape's office floor. The man himself could not be bothered to clean up the result of his rage at that moment and sat behind his desk, his face hidden in his hands as he silently cursed Minerva McGonagall and her efforts to create a new Potter reign of terror!

“A seeker!” he muttered and fell back into the chair.



A small grey cloud of dust emerged from the book and settled on the table as Hermione flipped the page. She was absentmindedly drumming her fingers on the tabletop as she read – something she did very rarely. To most observers, she appeared to be simply a girl hunched over her homework, frustrated with an upcoming exam. The truth was quite different.

The weeks had passed and Halloween was approaching. Hermione still spent most of her time studying by herself but there had been new additions to her routine. Now, she also devoted at least four hours a week to solving the Harry-mystery in the library. Additionally, she and Harry now met up – usually somewhere on the grounds after every potions lesson. Harry didn't weep uncontrollably like Hermione had seen him.. (her?) doing in the bathroom but she certainly didn't like the alternative either. As Harry slowly engaged more and more in conversations with the Weasleys and other boys at meal times, he/she became quieter elsewhere. The raw emotion Hermione had first witnesses was now replaced by silence and a strange look in Harry's eyes that showed up every morning before breakfast and even more severely after potions. Hermione worried about whether Harry was becoming depressed. She quickly learned that it was easier to get Harry to smile if she first managed to make Harry angry over the injustice. That was what was missing. The lost piece. Harry was becoming more and more resigned and possibly even accepting of her situation.

Hermione had to do something and she had to do it soon. It wasn't like Hermione wanted Harry to challenge Professor Snape but she certainly didn't want Harry to think it was fair either. No, Harry should be silently steaming with rage like the rest of the Gryffindors. The girl glanced down at the page in front of her. Nothing! Nothing useful anyway. She had managed to find quite a few mentions of the Potters but the problem was that the books said exactly what she expected them to say: That a son born to Lily and James Potter defeated You-Know-Who on Halloween night ten years ago. Hermione wasn't one to doubt books – in fact she would be mortified if the books were lying to her but she also wanted Harry's confession to be true. She didn't like to think about the implications if it weren't. Harry certainly believed it to be true. At one point Hermione had almost asked Harry to 'show her the evidence' but she reconsidered when she realized that not only would Harry probably never agree to remove his/her clothes in front of Hermione but she also didn't want to communicate to Harry that she didn't trust him/her.

Her eyes suddenly fell on words she had read once elsewhere. The Potters went into hiding before the birth of their son and their whereabouts were not known to the world until they were betrayed by their friend, Sirius Black. From the books she had learned that James and Lily apparently had disappeared off the face of the earth for almost two years. She had to admit by now that it was possible but it didn't answer the question of how no one would know. No, she had to find out for sure. Resigned she put the book away, picked up her bag and left the library – taking in the scent of old books as she did so.

Hermione hadn't been to the infirmary yet and she had to ask for directions along the way from a pair of fourth year Hufflepuffs but she finally arrived there about an hour before curfew. The infirmary was a large room with big windows on one side and Hermione imagined that it had to be a very bright room in the daytime. There were two rows of eight beds along the walls and at the end were two doors – one of which surely lead to Pomfrey's office. Hermione looked around. It was quiet and the mediwitch was nowhere to be seen. The beds were all made as no student had been admitted yet. There were screens standing next to each bed but they were folded together. An additional two were placed near the entrance and Hermione assumed they were usually drawn to separate the beds from whatever visitors might enter. A few chairs near the door confirmed her theory of the 'waiting room' and Hermione sat down.

It wasn't long until one of the other doors opened and Pomfrey stepped out. Upon seeing Hermione there she picked up her pace and almost ran to her side.

“Oh, dear! I didn't hear you come in! Are you unwell?”

“No, Madam Pomfrey,” Hermione quickly replied. “I came to ask you a question.”

The older witch looked puzzled but nonetheless gave Hermione a smile.

“Miss Granger, is it? You may ask anything you like.”

Hermione nodded to confirm her name and wondered how the woman knew it to begin with.

“Madam, I need to make sure first that... You'll not ask questions. I... It's for some research and I would like to keep my ideas secret. Someone might steal it.”

The mediwitch took at seat next to the girl. She looked worried but she nodded.

“How can you tell whether someone is a boy or a girl?”

Oh, dear! Poppy had had similar conversations with several children but usually the parents... And Miss Granger was rumored to be very bright!

“Well, dear... You see, boys and girls are different. Boys have..”

“Oh, I don't mean like that!” Hermione said, blushing. “I mean if you didn't know. And you could not see the person or touch them. Is there a spell or a potions that could tell you?”

Poppy was relieved to find that the girl was well informed but that was a very strange question indeed!

“Well, a diagnostic spell would certainly reveal it. As for potions, I don't believe there are any with that particular purpose but some might tell you that as an additional result. I really can't be sure though, you had better ask Professor Snape that question,” Pomfrey replied.

“Is a diagnostic spell hard to learn? Could I do it?” Hermione replied – immediately dismissing the idea of going to Snape for help.

“Heavens, no! It takes years of magical training to learn and even then your skill affects the amount of data you will get. No, you had better leave that to the healers, Miss Granger!” the older witch chuckled.

“Oh. Well, thank you so much for your time, Madam Pomfrey!” Hermione smiled and got up to leave.

“Any time, dear,” Poppy replied, still considering the question.

Hermione exited the infirmary and walked back towards Gryffindor Tower. Well then! Was she going to risk learning that spell? It would clearly be against the rules. What else was there? Her thoughts went to something Harry had said that day in the bathroom. I almost thought that the hat... She smiled at the notion. Clearly the hat couldn't tell. However that had her thinking about the first night she spent here. Hermione stopped dead in her tracks. Could it really be that simple? She wasn't sure if this was going to work but she had to try!

The common room was full of life. Hermione entered through the portrait and looked around. She found Harry and Seamus sitting in a corner. Seamus was showing Harry something (a photograph?) but Harry looked at it like it was a unicorn. She quietly went over to the boys. Harry looked up at her but Seamus kept looking at the moving photograph in his hand that showed what Hermione assumed to be a famous Quidditch player. She gestured for Harry to follow her and together they walked away from Seamus.

“Harry. I need you to meet me in the common room tonight. Wait until the others are asleep, then come down here and see me? Alright?” Hermione whispered and Harry nodded in reply.

Harry was happy to see Hermione. The other girl was in the library when she wasn't in class and although Harry missed her she didn't want to disturb her. She seemed to really enjoy studying. Hermione had told her that she was also researching Harry but she hadn't yet told Harry about what she had discovered – if she had discovered anything. Harry wanted to ask because she had only recently been informed that her parents hadn't died in a car crash and she was curious to know more. Perhaps Hermione had found something? Suddenly Hermione turned away from her and walked over to Neville.

“Hey, Neville! I need to show you something! Come on! It'll only take a moment! You'll love it!”

Hermione grabbed Neville's hand and pulled the confused boy with her and before anyone could react she was dragging the boy up the stairs to the girls' dormitories. They made it about five steps up before something happened. The steps suddenly transformed into a slide and both Hermione and Neville came sliding down and ended in a heap on the floor.

“What are you doing, Granger!” called Percy from an armchair. “We told you boys couldn't climbs the girls' stairs!”

“Sorry!” Hermione mumbled as she and Neville clumsily got off the floor. “And sorry Neville.”

The boy gave a weak smile and after the giggles had died down everything seemed back to normal.

It was about one o'clock when Harry made her way back down to the common room. She had tried earlier but she had heard a couple of older students down there and knowing that the first years technically had to be in bed (though she'd seen no one really enforce the rules of the tower, not even Percy) she hadn't wanted to risk it.

The fire was almost out and Harry jumped in surprised when Hermione emerged from the shadows.

“Ready?” she smiled.

“Ready for what?” Harry replied.

“Ugh, Harry, didn't you see what I did earlier? It's true, boys can't enter our dorms!”

Harry realized Hermione was planning to send her up the stairs as well. But why? Didn't she believe her after all?

“It'll prove to you that you aren't too ugly to be a girl. That you are a real girl,” Hermione said.

That wasn't why she was doing it of course. She needed to confirm Harry's story but she could hardly say that, could she? Harry looked at her with a mix of suspicion and intrigue but nodded her consent. Harry turned and walked over to the stairs. She looked back over her shoulder to see Hermione's encouraging smile. She placed her foot on the bottom step and took a deep breath.

Then she took a step. Then she took another. Before long she was standing in front of a door and then it dawned upon her that she had just climbed the entire staircase. Neville only made it five steps. She briefly put her hand upon the door and then turned and ran all the way back down. Hermione was standing at the bottom and a strange expression upon her face.

“Did you see that?” Harry grinned.

“Yeah.. I know.. The castle clearly knows.. I...” Hermione was lost for words. She had wanted to believe Harry but she could not really get it to make sense – but the castle had confirmed it. Harry was a girl. What was she going to do?



Ron Weasley was fuming. In the weeks after arriving at Hogwarts he'd been happy because he now had something he'd never had before: His very own best friend. He'd always shared everything and everyone with his siblings and he was happy to finally meet Harry. Sure Harry spoke to others and to the twins but Ron liked to imagine that he was closest to him. Now he wasn't so sure anymore. He'd noticed Harry speaking to that bookworm, Granger, a couple of times and thought nothing of it but these last few days Granger and Harry had been together almost constantly. What was worse: They whispered. Ron didn't like it. Was Granger stealing his friend? Tonight was the Halloween feast and Ron had looked forward to spending it with Harry – stuffing their faces.

I bet he'll sit with Granger now!

They were making their way back from charms. Granger was horrid. She'd even corrected him for his pronunciation. Who did she think she was? Harry wasn't anywhere to be seen but Ron had heard him offer to help Neville with something so he was likely still in the classroom with the other boy. Granger was walking in front of him. Ron couldn't keep it in. He speeded up and shoved her as he walked past her.

“Ow! Hey, watch where you're going!” cried the girl and picked up the books she had dropped.

“Who are you to talk? It's Le-vi-O-sa!” Ron mocked her. “No wonder you have no friends.”

He turned around to walk away but was startled when the girl shot past him. He could clearly hear her sniffling as she passed and suddenly she was gone.



“What do you mean?”

Harry starred at Ron with wide eyes across the table. She was trying her best not to raise her voice and attract the attention of the entire hall but she really wanted to scream her head off.

“I'm... I just lost it... I thought.. But you agreed that she wasn't normal!” Ron tried as he attempted to avoid the look Parvati was giving him.

“I... I thought you were joking!” Harry replied. “I didn't think you'd really... I didn't think you were like that!”

Ron wasn't sure what exactly Harry meant by that but he knew that there was nothing on earth he wished to be less. He really did feel guilty now that Parvati had revealed that Granger had spent her afternoon weeping in the girls' bathroom. He hadn't wanted to hurt her. Not really. He'd been angry and he'd taken it out on her. What was worse was the look in Harry's eyes and Ron was about to weep himself, thinking about whether Harry would ever be his friend again.

“I'm sorry. I'm so sorry,” he mumbled.

“You better be,” sneered Parvati.

Ron didn't get a chance to reply to that as the doors suddenly flew open and Professor Quirrell ran down towards the head table, screaming his head off about a troll. Chaos ensued until the Headmaster commanded everyone to remain calm and return to their dorms.

“Hermione doesn't know! I have to go and get her!” Harry said. “She doesn't know about the troll.”

“I'll come,” Ron said. “It's the least I can do. Do you think we'll see the troll?”

“You heard him, it's in the dungeons. We'll just get Hermione and go to the tower.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Next up! Trolls and timejumps!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3303