The Souvenir by HotforSnape
Summary: Severus takes Harry on vacation. He has to bring home a souvenir, right?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Family, Fantasy, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 4645 Read: 8972 Published: 28 Feb 2016 Updated: 19 Mar 2016
Story Notes:
This could be considered a sequel to my story Making A Deal in that Severus has adopted Harry at the end of year two. That would make this AU.
Chapter 1 by HotforSnape
Author's Notes:
I'm only borrowing the characters. I just wanted to get the boys out of the castle for a bit.

‘And so with the death of Fangrot IV, the second goblin war came to an end, and there was peace between goblins and wizards for 75 years.’ Harry put down his quill and capped his ink. History of magic was his last class before Christmas break, and he had just finished his exam. He had three weeks to enjoy before classes started up again. And his father, Severus Snape, was taking him on vacation.

At least he called it a vacation. Harry wasn’t so sure that trekking around in the jungles of South America qualified as a vacation, but with Sirius Black still on the loose, it would take 5000 miles of distance for his dad to feel that he was safe outside Hogwarts.

Hermione had been so jealous when she heard about the trip.

“Really Harry,” she said, “the chance to go with your dad collecting samples of plants and animals for potions is such an opportunity! Maybe you’ll meet local potions masters and learn how their methods differ from our own. I wish I could go.”

At this point Ron piped up, “Maybe if you ask, Snape’ll take you and leave Harry at my house.”

“Sorry Ron, but I’m pretty sure my dad won’t go for that. Besides, Hagrid was really hoping I could bring him back a new pet. I’m thinking monkey of some kind., or maybe an exotic parrot.”

Early the next morning Severus and Harry stepped out of the international floo terminal in Quito, Ecuador. Harry thought it was funny that even with security checks and lines, because of the time zone changes they arrived four hours before they left.

Exiting through the muggle side of the airport, they caught a taxi to their hotel.

“Tomorrow,” began Severus, “our guide will meet us at breakfast to take us to our camp site. Remember, from this point on, bottled water only. I’ll not have you being sick all over the countryside.”

“Yes, Dad. How far out into the jungle are we going?”

“There is a group of potions researchers living about 30 miles from here just outside of Mindo. We will be staying there four nights before moving on to our next location. The dark lord has never shown any interest in wizards descended from the local indigenous peoples, so likely no one here will know anything about you. They will also be more intrigued than frightened by your parseltongue abilities. If you choose to reveal them, expect to be asked to help collect venom from some of the local fauna.”

“That’s cool. As long as nobody wants to hurt them, I’d love to talk to the local snakes.”

They spent the day looking at maps, talking about the research that Severus wanted to do, and enjoying the local cuisine. Then they had an early night, because they were still on UK time.

The next morning came very early for Harry, but he was excited to get going. Severus gave him a potion that would allow him to understand Spanish, as well as the local dialects. As they got to the camp site, and he saw the beauty of the surrounding area, he started to think Hermione had been right about this trip.

Their guide was named Matias, and he had lived in the area all his life. He dropped them off at the camp, and promised to return for them in four days. The researchers were from all over the world, and were led by Sofia who came from Mexico. She and Severus had met at a potions symposium some years back. She was a grandmotherly woman with a warm smile.

“Hola Severus. Welcome to Mindo. And this must be Harry. Welcome child. Your tents are over there.

Would you like coffee or tea?”

“Thank-you Sofia,” Severus said. “We are very glad to be here. Thank-you for inviting us. Tea would be very nice. I am anxious to see what you have collected, and your data analysis.”

Over their tea, Severus explained the direction of his own research, and the particular plants he wanted to collect. Harry was impressed with his father’s passion and expansive knowledge. He hoped to be able to help with the harvesting.

Turning to Harry Sofia asked, “What do you think of our little paradise so far, Harry?”

“It’s beautiful, ma’am. And the climate has Scotland in December beat by a mile.”

Severus spoke quietly to Sofia. “You told me one of your team is studying reptiles. I think he and Harry would enjoy working together.”

Sofia seemed happily surprised. “Tom here just joined us a month ago, from the University of Brisbane. He is studying using some of the rare snake venoms in healing potions.”

Tom asked Harry, “Are you interested in herpetology?”

“Well, I don’t know about my life’s work or anything yet, sir. But I’m a parselmouth, so snakes are interested in me.”

“What?! First of all, call me Tom. We are going to be best mates. Are you done with your tea? There

are some animals we’ve collected that I’d like you to meet.”

“Can I go, Dad?”

“All right, Harry. Stay close to Tom, and within sight of the camp at all times. Do not wander off. Tom, I expect my son to be returned in one piece.”

“I understand, sir. I’ll treat him like my own kid brother.”

As the two younger wizards bounded off into the jungle, Sofia smiled at Severus.

“Fatherhood seems to agree with you, Severus. Since you arrived, I’ve seen three facial expressions besides your trademarked glare. Come with me, and we will start to look at my data.”

“In truth, that child will be the death of me, Sofia. He is the biggest magnet for trouble I have ever seen. But his heart is huge, and he loves fiercely.”

After hours of inspecting plants and their properties, and dinner on the fly, Severus met up with Harry just in time for Harry to go to bed. It filled his heart to hear Harry talk about his day speaking with every snake he saw. And it seemed that Harry was starting to love the idea of what could be done with snake venom and skins in potions. Scavenging the basilisk with Severus had sparked his interest, and now he had found fun in research. Severus lay in his own sleeping bag more glad than ever that he had brought Harry on this trip.

 

 

 

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
I love reading Snape adopts Harry stories, but I don't think I have an epic in me. I'll content myself writing short stories.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3306