Vampires, Werewolf, and An Old Coot by mandancie
Summary: This is a AU story. Creature fic.
Categories: Big Brother Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus
Snape Flavour: Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Vampire!Harry, Vampire!Snape
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 41760 Read: 36637 Published: 07 Mar 2016 Updated: 20 Feb 2022
Chapter 13 by mandancie

Severus opened the door. Harry couldn’t believe his eyes. Never did he think the inside of Sugar Cottage would look like this: ordinary.

Harry couldn’t hold it back anymore. He started giggling. His shoulder shook as he laughed, almost dropping his satchel.

Severus looked down at his fledgling wondering what he thought was so funny. The sounds of Harry’s laughter filled the front end of the house. Severus couldn’t help but to smile at Harry’s merriment. Harry couldn’t stop laughing. He turned towards Severus burying his head in his da’s chest.

“Harry,” Severus said, wrapping his arms around Harry’s shoulders. “Do calm yourself. I must know what you find so funny.”

Harry tried to take deep breaths so he could answer his da, but every time he did a bubble of giggles and snickering escaped and he started all over again. Severus sighed and waited until Harry calmed down on his own.

After a long moment, Harry began to calm down. When he looked up at his da, Severus noticed that Harry’s cheeks were red with tear stains glistening on his cheeks. Pulling out his handkerchief, Severus softly wiped the happy tears from Harry’s face. Though he stopped laughing, it didn’t mean the smile was gone.

“Now that you’ve calmed yourself,” Severus said, citing another giggle from Harry’s throat. “Can you please tell me what struck you so funny?”

Harry took a deep breath and tried to calm the second bout of giggles fighting to come to the surface.

“Ever since you told me the name of the cottage,” Harry said, breathlessly. “I just imagined different confections and candies all over the house.” A snicker escaped. “When I walked in the door, I was clearly not expecting what I am looking at now.” Another giggle came from the back of his throat.

Now, Severus bit his lip as he tried his best to control his laughter. It had been a very, very long time since he felt like this. How could this small child bring such amazing joy to him. Harry has more power than he could ever imagine.

“I hope now you realize that it is just the name of the cottage not the content of it,” Severus said. Though he wasn’t laughing, he couldn’t keep the smile off his face or the sparkle from his eyes.

“Well,” Severus said after clearing his throat. “If you’re finished, let’s get your things in your room and I can show you around Sugar Cottage.”

Severus put emphasis on Sugar Cottage causing Harry to start laughing again.

___000___000___000

Remus stepped out of the floo in the Leaky Caldron. He was of two minds about what he was supposed to do. He pulled the card Albus gave him out of his pocket. He knew how this particular card worked. He would be able to buy what he wanted in both Muggle and Wizard worlds. Remus loved the fact that Albus cared so much about him that he wanted to spend money on getting him clothes. But he hated that Albus felt that he needed to spend money on buying him clothes.

His dad was right about him and Severus; they were proud. When Severus and Remus came of age, they both felt that it was time that Albus stop trying to buy things for them. Remus and Severus were now old enough to take care of themselves. And if they were having trouble, they could handle it on their own. Remus left after he graduated so he wouldn’t continue to be a burden to Albus and Severus. Remus knew it would be hard for him to find employment because of his issues.

The new laws from the Ministry was that if you had a creature or animal within you, you must register with a special department within the Ministry when you come of age. That registry kept a person from getting gainful employment.

Remus was grateful that Severus kept owling him his Wolfsbane potion every couple of months. He didn’t let Severus know where he was as the owl that was used was Remus’. So, Severus would send a message alone with the phials each time.

Severus and Remus weren’t as close as they were while in school. Though they were cordial with each other, it was never the same closeness after Remus left. And it was because of that unfortunate incident.

Remus shook his head trying to rid himself of that memory. He didn’t want to think about it. Knowing that his dad probably put a charm on the card to make sure he was purchasing items, Remus walked towards the Wizard side.

Remus was walking out of Madam Malkin’s shop. He had his purchases shipped to Sugar Cottage. He was heading back to the Leaky Cauldron, when something caught his eye. Walking over to the small carriage, Remus saw the latest Daily Prophet. The color drained from Remus’ face. His heart started pounding. His palms began to sweat.

“It can’t be,” Remus whispered.

“You want a copy, friend?” the shopkeeper said.

Remus nodded numbly, pulling a galleon, paying the shopkeeper. Remus was so distracted he didn’t even wait for his change.

Walking back into the Leaky Cauldron, Remus knew that he should go finish his shopping but looking at the paper put him off. He walked to the bar. Tom walked over.

“What can I get you?” Tom asked.

“Firewhiskey,” Remus said. “And leave the bottle.”

Tom knocked on the bar and walked away. Remus pulled the paper out again and looked at the headline.

“They’re never going to forgive me,” Remus sighed to himself.

___000___000___000

Harry was in Heaven. To anyone else, it just looked like an ordinary room. To Harry, it was a suite. He had a huge bed in the corner of the room and a large window so he could look out. There was a windowsill seat that he could sit and just view the yard. His window faced, what his da said was, the backyard. There was a huge lawn with a garden along the back wall. Severus told him that there was a greenhouse where he kept most of the ingredients he used for his potions. On the far wall, opposite the bed was a desk where he could do his homework. There were two doors; one, was the closet, the other a bathroom.

The room may not have his favorite colors, or pictures on the wall, or some nonessential personal items, but it was his room. His.

Harry walked over to the bed and flopped down on it. He liked the little bounce it had. He tried to resist the urge to stand on the bed and jump up and down. The bed felt so soft and comfortable. The only other bed he could compare it to would be the one in his dorm. It was about the same.

There was a pop in the middle of the room. Harry looked over and saw that his clothes, trunk, and Hedwig’s cage appeared.

Knocking on the door brought Harry out of his musing.

“I see you got your things,” Severus observed.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “They just got here.”

“Well, hold off unpacking,” Severus said, holding out his hand. “I want to show you the rest of the house.”

Harry got off the floor and went to his da.

“Where’s your room?” Harry asked.

“It’s down here,” Severus said, walking down the hallway.

Severus opened the door. Harry looked inside and couldn’t help smiling.

“It looks like your room at Hogwarts,” Harry said.

“I’m a man with simple taste.”

Harry walked in the room.

“I want to show you something,” Severus said, walking to the door adjacent to the room door. Severus opened the door.

“Wow,” Harry said, looking in the room. “Your bathroom looks just like mine. Are all of them the same?”

“Harry, it’s the same bathroom. I want you to know that you have a faster way of getting to me.”

Harry didn’t say anything.

“With the changes you are going to go through, you might find the need to be near me. If that happens, don’t fight it. Just come to me. I’ll be waiting with open arms.”

Harry walked over to his da and leaned into his side. He loved the warm feeling knowing that his da was so near.

“Let’s go see the rest of the house,” Severus said.

They ended their tour in the back gardens. The sun was out but it wasn’t stifling hot like it was when Harry had to work outside with his relatives. The grass looked plush and well-manicured. Harry wanted to take off his shoes and feel the grass between his toes. Seeing everything there was one thought circling the back of his mind: what would be his chores?

While Harry was looking around the lawn, Severus walked into the greenhouse to gather the fresh ingredients he would need to start on the list for Poppy.

“Da.”

“In the greenhouse,” Severus called out.

Severus was filling a small basket full of different plants and roots.

Harry stood at the door. “What you doing?”

“I’m getting started on the potions,” Severus said, focusing on pulling some dragonroot from the soil.

“You starting on it now?” Harry asked.

“It’s a long list,” Severus said. He looked at Harry. “What’s wrong?”

“Well, I was wondering,” Harry said. “What kind of chores will I have to do?”

Severus looked at his fledgling for a second before answering. He put down the basket and walked to his fledgling.

“Harry,” Severus said, putting his hands on Harry’s shoulders. “You are not with your so-called relatives anymore. Alright? You will not have a long list of chores that must be done. I hope you weren’t thinking that while we were walking around the house.”

Harry shook his head. “No, I didn’t. I just wanted to know what’s expected of me. I don’t want to do something wrong. I want to stay.”

“Okay,” Severus said, walking over to the stone bench in front of the greenhouse. “Let’s get a few things straight.”

Severus and Harry sat down. He slightly turned towards Harry so Harry could see his face.

“First and foremost, you will never lose your place in this house. Never. I don’t care what you do. Break a glass. Blow up my lab. Set your room on fire. Nothing will result in you being removed from this house or this family. Do you understand?”

Harry nodded.

Severus raised an eyebrow at Harry.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, hearing the silent request.

“Now,” Severus continued. “As far as what you are responsible for: you are to make sure your room is relatively clean. I don’t want to walk in your room and break my neck because you have things in the middle of the floor.”

Harry tried to bite back a snort that tried to get out from the mental picture of his da flailing his arms as he dropped to the floor.

“You are also,” Severus said, getting back Harry’s attention, “to make sure that if you take something from the library or my study, it is to be brought back in the same manner as when it was taken.”

Harry nodded, “Yes, sir.”

“Great,” Severus said, getting up from the bench.

“What if something does happen?” Harry said. “I know you said that I won’t be thrown out, but I’m sure I would have some kind of—”

“Ahh,” Severus said, as he sat back down. “You want to know the consequences if you do something naughty.”

Harry’s face scrunched up at the kiddy word. Severus tried not to laugh at the look on Harry’s face.

“Well, there are a few things that would happen,” Severus said. “But it depends on the severity of what you’ve done. If you don’t clean up your room, for instance, you will be grounded in your room as well as clean it up like you were supposed to.”

“But what if it is blowing up your lab?” Harry asked.

“Are you planning on blowing up my lab?” Severus asked, his eyebrow quirking.

“No,” Harry said quickly. “I’m just asking.”

Severus could sense that Harry was getting agitated. Not by Severus’ teasing, but not knowing.

“Okay,” Severus said, holding out his hand to Harry. “Let’s get to the root of all this. Are you asking if I’m going to beat you?”

Harry lowered his head. Severus curled his finger under Harry’s chin and lifted it so his fledgling was looking at him.

“Listen to me,” Severus said. His tone broached no argument. “If it is something that can put your life or the lives of others in danger, you may get a swat or two on your bum to show my dissatisfaction, but there will never be a time where you are beaten for something you’ve done. You will be grounded. Or must write lines. Clean cauldrons in the lab. And as I said, there may be a swat or two on your bum, but that is it. Nothing more. And it’s the same with your Uncle Remus and Grandpa Albus. Do you understand?”

Hearing that assurance lifted a burden Harry didn’t know he was carrying. He could feel the truth of what his da was saying. It wasn’t just words. It was deep from the core love. Pure love that will allow someone to grow as well as be there when they fall. Harry had wanted that for so long. Now he had it.

“Thank you, da,” Harry said.

“Great,” Severus said. “Now, why don’t you go and finish putting your things away and meet me in my lab. There are plenty of potions that need to be done.”

Harry grinned. “Yeah, da.” Harry stood up and ran towards the back door but stopped and turned back around. Severus was standing up when he was tackled by his fledgling. Harry hugged him tightly and let go, running back to the house. Severus shook his head and went back to gathering more ingredients.

___000___000___000

It had been two hours and Remus was still sitting at the bar. Tom gave Remus the glass and bottle of Firewhiskey to Remus a while ago, but Remus only had a sip. He was still lost in his thoughts.

Remus knew that he couldn’t stay there for long.

“Tom,” Remus called.

“Yeah.”

“Hold this for me,” Remus said. “I’ll get it when I head home.”

“Yeah, sure thing,”

Remus left the pub, heading towards the Muggle side. This time Remus went to several stores and did his shopping. Once he got his packages, he walked down a deserted alley and shrunk them, putting them in his pocket.

It was starting to get dark, so Remus decided that he’s done enough that should satisfy dad. He wanted to go back to Hogwarts and talk to his dad about what he learned today, but the way Albus was behaving, he was hanging on to his peaceful nature by a thread. Learning that Minerva had continued to harass Severus and Harry was becoming a lot for Albus, let alone Moony, to keep peaceful. Remus could see that in his adopted father. Remus didn’t want to aggravate it by disobeying a simple request.

Going back to the Leaky Cauldron, forgetting his alcohol, Remus floo’ed to Sugar Cottage.

___000___000___000

Albus watched his son floo out of his chambers. He took several calming breaths, hoping that would calm his nerves. It didn’t. Albus turned to see the amount of work he had to do before he could leave.

There was the budget he had to complete. Getting the final approval for the extra supplies that were needed for Herbology and Potions. Giving the Board notice that a Defense professor was hired. Finally, he had to delegate what the elves were to do while the school was closed.

Albus felt that if he wasn’t disturbed, he should be able to finish this today and maybe get to Sugar Cottage with his family by nightfall or maybe the next morning.

Yes, no interruptions.

Albus walked over to the door, pulled out his wand, and waved a complicated spell on the door. He made it that his gargoyle entrance would not move even if the password was given. Albus put a silencing charm and a powerful locking charm on the door so it wouldn’t open. The only way anyone could contact him was if he allowed it.

Fawkes woke up. The phoenix started to trill and sing, getting Albus’ attention.

“Well, hello Fawkes,” Albus said softly. He walked over to his bird and petted his feathers.

“I need you to give Poppy something and then I want you to go straight to Sugar Cottage,” Albus said.

He wrote out a small missive and gave it to his phoenix. Fawkes flew out of the window and disappeared. Albus smiled and got started on his work.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3308