Vampires, Werewolf, and An Old Coot by mandancie
Summary: This is a AU story. Creature fic.
Categories: Big Brother Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Remus
Snape Flavour: Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Vampire!Harry, Vampire!Snape
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 41760 Read: 36632 Published: 07 Mar 2016 Updated: 20 Feb 2022

1. Chapter 1 by mandancie

2. Chapter 2 by mandancie

3. Chapter 3 by mandancie

4. Chapter 4 by mandancie

5. Chapter 5 by mandancie

6. Chapter 6 by mandancie

7. Chapter 7 by mandancie

8. Chapter 8 by mandancie

9. Chapter 9 by mandancie

10. Chapter 10 by mandancie

11. Chapter 11 by mandancie

12. Chapter 12 by mandancie

13. Chapter 13 by mandancie

14. Chapter 14 by mandancie

15. Chapter 15 by mandancie

16. Chapter 16 by mandancie

Chapter 1 by mandancie

It was a hot day. The sun was at its highest point in the sky. The dour man did not want to be out. Actually, he only wanted to sleep. He was having a killer headache and he knew that it was only going to get worse as the day progressed. He was asked, albeit forcefully, to go watch the Potter boy.

Severus didn't want to let on that he wasn't feeling well. Admitting that he wasn't feeling like himself meant that he would be fussed over. For some, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but for a private man, as Severus was, it was excruciating having his mentor and the matron fussing over him.

As he continued on to his destination, his headache grew ten fold. The sun was becoming too bright. All Severus wanted to do was curl up in his dark bedroom and not come out for a few days.

Walking down the deserted street, Severus waited until he was at Number 4 before he cast a disillusionment charm on himself. Not that anyone would have noticed anyway. This day was so hot it seemed like all of the residences of Privet Drive were all comfortably in their homes. Severus walked to the back of Number 4. He saw a small shed in the back and there was a small respite. There was a cover from the sun. Severus slowly walked over to that shadowy spot. He instantly felt a little cooler. Not much, but enough to give a small sigh.

The house seemed to be like the others on the street. There was little to no disturbance to the house. Severus liked that. It meant that he probably wouldn't have to stay long. His headache seemed to doubled in pain. Not only was his head pounding, but there was a piercing pain behind his eyes. Severus knew he needed his potion. With shaky fingers, Severus reached into his robes and pulled out a small phial. The once nimble fingers that could slice, dice, and ground many ingredients could not hold on to the small potion and it slipped through his fingers as he was trying to open it, breaking on impact on the ground.

Deep down, Severus knew he needed to get out of there, but from the amount of pain he was in, he just couldn't think straight. His breathing became shallow and fast, almost panting. His vision dimmed. His head pounded, and his throat ached.

______00000________0000______0000

The day had been a typical day for Harry. Once he got up in the morning; he was to make breakfast for the family and while they were eating, he was to start on his chores for the day. He knew that he would not be allowed to have food until he was finished with his morning list of duties.

Today was a small list. Vernon's boss came for dinner last night and Harry had to clean the house from top to bottom before mid-afternoon. Trying not to get on his uncle's bad side, Harry knew that this would probably happen so he got up extra early and started on the chores. He had most of the house clean before the Dursleys were even out of bed. When Harry heard the unmistakable sounds of his relatives waking up, he stopped what he was doing and started on breakfast.

Harry wasn't really trying to get on his relatives' good side by doing this. No, Harry was trying to survive another summer with no problems. He did not want what happened last year to happen again. He didn't even do it and he was still blamed.

Stupid Dobby, Harry thought, shaking his head to the memory of what the elf did that almost cost him his freedom from his relatives.

After much convincing and bargaining, Harry was able to come back to the Dursleys' house. Not that they really had a choice, but Harry wasn't going to let them know that.

Harry was able to keep Dudley's second bedroom. The downside was that his trunk was in his cupboard under the stairs locked up. The window, or what used to be the window, was now boarded up. After the younger Weasley boys came to rescue Harry from his family, Vernon never replaced the bars, or even the window for that matter.

Harry told himself that he wasn't going to cause any problems this summer. He just wanted to stay to himself and hope the summer pass soon so that he could go back home to Hogwarts.

Harry missed the school during the summer. After learning so much about himself and his parents in the past two years, he begun to wish he could stay at Hogwarts forever. To be able to walk the halls that his parents walked. To fly around the Qudditch pitch like his father used to do. To just feel accepted for being Harry not be a burden or a freak to his relatives.

With a sigh, Harry stepped out into the hot sun, so that he could begin on his outside chores. He had wanted to do these chores earlier when the sun wasn't baking outside, but when was anything fair for Harry Potter? Harry started with the easy things to do first.

Walking towards the shed, unaware that there was someone there, Harry walked in and pulled out a few items in his arms. One of the items was a old watering pail. Because he had so much in his arms, the pail slipped from his arms and fell at his feet.

“Ouch,” Harry moaned as he dropped the other items and looked at the freshly made scratch on his arm from the pail. It wasn't deep, but it did sting and was bleeding profusly.

Harry walked the short distant to the water hose, turning on the water and letting it run over the cut on his forearm. The cool water felt wonderful on his skin, and he wanted to raise the hose and let the water flow over his head. Looking up at the house, he didn't see anyone around, but that didn't mean that his aunt would not show up. She always had a knack of seeing him do things that he wasn't suppose to do, and letting the water cool him down on this stifling day was one of the things that he would get in trouble for. Not wanting any trouble, Harry dismissed the pleasurable idea of cooling off and began his outside chores.

Harry walked back over to the dropped items and began picking them back up. The next thing that Harry felt wasn't the heat. An arm wrapped around his chest, pinning his arms to his side. A hand was on his head tilting it to one side. Then there was a sharp, piercing pain on his neck. The pain radiated his entire body. He felt like he was burning from the inside out. The last thing that passed through Harry's mind while something was attached to his neck was of flying. Harry looked at the clear blue sky as his vision dimmed and he was losing consciousness.

__________00000_________000000__________00000____

Severus tried to calm himself down. It was much harder now that he didn't have his potion. He watched through squinted eyes as Potter walked over towards him. Severus knew the boy couldn't see him, but that didn't stop his already racing !heartbeat to quicken a little.

Severus was struggling to keep himself unnoticed. The thirst was becoming unbearable. This side of Severus knew he needed to feed, but he was trying to hold out, thinking of anything to take his mind off the dry, parched pain in his throat.

Severus closed his eyes, trying to meditate. He tried to calm his breathing, taking deeper breaths. Then there was a noise that brought him back to reality. The smell hit him before he even registered what he was looking at. The sweet smell hit his nose. He could feel his instincts taking over. Severus could no longer resist. As fast as he could, Severus canceled the Disillusionment charm over him and grabbed the small child. No longer fighting his urges, Severus bit down on the 'sweet spot' and tasted pure heaven.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 2 by mandancie

It had been two years since Remus had been to Hogwarts. It wasn't by rejection that he stayed away so long. It was of guilt. He had not been able to forgive himself for what he did to his adoptive family. He wouldn't be at the school now, if the letter he received hadn't been insistent. Leave it to Albus to get his way, Remus thought as he walked up the walkway towards his old Alma Mater.

Walking into the castle brought back many memories to the werewolf. Good and bad memories. Seeing that not much has changed with the school, Remus headed towards Albus' office. At the end of the hallway sat the gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster's office.

“Password,” said the gargoyle.

“Is he in his office?” Remus asked.

“Finally come home,” the gargoyle replied. “He has missed you.”

“Yeah,” Remus said, reaching out and caressing the gargoyle's head, finding the spot that he used to touch when he was younger and wanted to get to his mentor's office, not knowing what the password was.

The gargoyle stepped aside. Remus walked up the spiral stairs.

“Come in, my boy,” Albus called from the other side of the door when Remus got to the top of the stairs.

Remus walked in and was quickly engulfed in a strong embrace. Shocked from the sudden contact, it took Remus a minute to return the hug.

“I'm so happy that you could come,” Albus said, holding the man he'd grown to love like a son out at arms length.

“Not that I had a choice,” Remus smirked.

“Now, now,” Albus said, walking back to his desk. “You had a choice.”

“Yeah,” Remus said, sitting down across from Albus' desk. “Come or else. You are aware that I'm not a child anymore.”

“You're still one of my boys,” Albus dismissed with a wave of his hand. “Now, you will take the position?”

“Yes,” Remus nodded. “I'll take the position. What will we do about...”

“Severus will brew your potion,” Albus said, cutting him off. “And he or I will substitute when you need it.”

“Does Severus really want me back here?”

“He will be fine,” Albus said. “I have both my boys back under one roof. All will be fine.”

“But...”

“No buts. All will be fine. You'll see. And once Severus returns, we'll have tea together. Just like old times.”

“I don't think that Severus will share your sentiments. I think the last person he would want to see is me.”

“Nonsense,” Albus countered. “He doesn't blame you.”

Remus didn't respond to that. He knew that Albus didn't know why he truly left. Severus was very adamant about his views. He blamed Remus and there was nothing that Albus could do to change the Potion Master's mind.

“He will be just as happy as I am to have you here,” Albus continued. “To have both my sons here under the same roof again is such a joy.”

Remus smiled at the endearment. Only Albus Dumbledore would think of a werewolf as a son. He was about to respond to Albus' statement when a small ringing sounded throughout the office.

Because of his keen hearing, Remus winced at the sound. Albus blanched at the same time.

Albus Dumbledore had always had trinkets around his office. Many who had seen Albus' collection just thought of them as little knickknacks. But in reality, there were a few that had their purposes. And at this moment one of them was going off.

“What is that?” Remus said through gritted teeth. The noise was starting to give him a headache.

“Oh, Severus,” Albus muttered as he stood, walking to the fireplace. “Poppy.”

“Yes, Albus,” the matron said as her head came through the green flames.

“Get Severus' potion ready. He's going to need it.”

Poppy nodded and her head disappeared from the flames. Albus stood up and walked over to Remus, who was clutching his head. Albus put his hand on top of Remus' head. He knew he couldn't stop the ringing until they got a hold of Severus. Albus just hoped that they could get him home in time before it got too bad.

That last thought didn't leave Albus' mind when another trinket went off. This one caused a growl from the werewolf. Albus' face fell when he saw what trinket was going off.

“Oh, no,” Albus gasped. “Harry.”

Albus left Remus' side and rushed to the floo.

“Come with me, Remus,” Albus ordered. “We're going to need Moony for this.”

Before Remus could say anything in response, Albus was throwing powder in the hearth and calling out his destination. Remus followed suit. Once they landed in Arabella's house, not even looking for the owner, Albus grabbed hold of Remus' arm and apparated away.

_______00000________0000_________0000____

A small voice in the back of Severus' head was telling him to stop. But his instincts were urging him to continue. The sweet red liquid was soothing his cravings. The more he drank the more his headache subsided. The more he drank the better his throat was feeling. His instincts wanted him to drink every drop of soothing liquid.

A pop brought his head up, letting go of his 'prey.'

“Sweet Merlin,” Remus gasped.

“Get Harry,” Albus ordered. “I'll bring Severus back.”

Seeing James' son in the clutches of the vampire, Remus' eyes changed from brown to amber. Moony was coming to the forefront, but Remus was in control since it wasn't a full moon.

Wanting to get to Severus, Remus took a step forward, but was stopped by a strong grip on his arm. He wanted to snatch his arm away. He wanted to get to the vampire. This wasn't his brother. This wasn't the same man who was in control. This was just a vampire feeding. Taking another step forward, Remus was stopped by an unbelievably strong hold Albus had on his arm let him know that resisting was not wise.

“Get Harry,” Albus said again. “Severus.”

Remus was amazed how Albus could make his voice sound gentle and stern at the same time. Severus looked from Remus to Albus. A low hiss came from the vampire. Remus and Albus moved at the same time. In their rush getting towards Harry and Severus, Severus didn't even have time to react.

Remus grabbed for Harry and snatched the small child from the vampire's hands. Quickly, pulling his robe to the child's neck and pressing it, Remus pulled the child to his chest and apparated away.

At the same time Remus was grabbing Harry, Albus wrapped his arms around his son and before Severus could even let out a moan of displeasure of his 'prey' being taken away from him, they too, apparated away.

The occupants in the house never once came out to see what was going on. To them and everyone else on Privet Drive, it was a normal, quiet day.

___________00000__________00000__________000000___

Remus apparated on the grounds in front of Hogwarts. As fast as he could, Remus ran up to the school.

“Poppy,” Remus growled as he burst through the doors of the Infirmary.

Poppy, coming out of the supply cupboard, saw Remus rushing towards a bed and laying a bundle down.

“What happened?” Poppy asked, going to his side. She gasped when she saw the blood.

“Severus bit him,” Remus replied.

Poppy began to work. She closed the wound on the child's neck. Accio'ing two potions from her cupboard, Dreamless Sleep and Blood Replenisher, she spelled both in the child's stomach.

“Where is Severus?” Poppy asked, turning and looking at Remus.

“Dad's got him,” Remus said, sitting down on the bed next to Harry's. “I don't know where they went.”

Poppy nodded at that response. She knew where Albus would have taken Severus. She was with Albus when Severus was first bitten as a child. They had to keep him away from everyone much the same way they did with Remus during the full moon.

“Stay with Harry,” Poppy ordered, heading towards her office.

Remus looked up at her and was on his feet. He intersected Poppy before she made it to her office.

“You know where they are?”

“Yes,” Poppy said. “But you're not going.”

“Dad's with that monster,” Remus growled. His eyes turning amber once again.

Poppy narrowed her eyes at the young man standing in front of her.

“Remus John Lupin-Snape-Dumbledore, what right do you have to call anyone a monster? Your father is with your brother,” Poppy said in a tone that broached no argument.

“That was not my brother.”

“And what makes you such a saint? Or had you forgotten what happened last time? As I recall, it was Severus, your brother, in the bed and you held away so you would not hurt another.”

Remus gasped at the tone as well as the words the matron said. He seemed to deflate in front of her. Poppy knew she was being harsh, but she also knew that she needed Remus to stay with Harry.

“Stay with Harry,” Poppy said. Her tone was much softer than before. “I'll be back and I'll have your father and brother with me.” She cupped the side of Remus' face and then went into her office.

To be continued...
Chapter 3 by mandancie

Albus didn't apparate them back to Hogwarts. Severus was to volatile at the moment. Albus knew that since Remus had Harry, he would go straight to Poppy. And once she was aware of what happened, she would be at the shack promptly with Severus' potion. Albus knew he would just have to wait it out.

Albus had a strong hold on his adoptive son. Severus was strong, but the vampire couldn't escape the clutches that the old man had on him. If someone looked at the older man, most people would underestimate that he was not a strong person. Some would assume that they could put something over on the elderly wizard. That could not be further from the truth. Albus had a strength that didn't seem to match his elderly body. The vampire struggled to free himself, but the Headmaster would not let go.

When Severus realized that he was not going to be released, he wailed, moaned and howled at the injustice that seemed to fall upon him. Even though the beast inside him was mostly in control, Severus was aware of who was holding him and who took away his prey. All he wanted was more of that sweet liquid that soothed his parched throat. Why was his father being so mean and keeping him from that soothing liquid? He was thirsty, and the man who promised that he would never hurt him or deny him was doing just that. His brother promised that he would always be there for him. But he took away his prey. More wailing escaped his lips as he continued to struggle in the binding grip that held him.

“Let me go,” Severus growled. His voice was low and Albus could tell by the sound of it that it was thick with emotion.

Albus' response to the order was tightening his grip on his son. He moved one of his hands and cradled the back of Severus' head. Albus knew that Severus was in pain. It broke his heart to hear the despondent cries of his son. So with his hand on Severus' head, he began lowering Severus' head towards his neck. Albus knew he was taking a huge risk doing this, but he didn't know how long it would be before Poppy showed up and Severus' cries were breaking his heart.

Albus could feel his son's breath on his neck as he got closer but he could also feel the slight resistance. Albus couldn't help the small smile that came across his face. The resistance meant that there was still a little bit of Severus still there, not just the vampire.

Severus could feel himself being positioned towards his mentor's, his dad's, neck. A huge part of him wanted to clamp down and suck the body that took him away from his prey. But a small part, the human part, of him knew that he had done enough damage. The last thing he wanted to ever do was to hurt the man who was currently holding him. Albus was always there for him.

“It's alright, son,” Albus soothed. “All will be fine. I have you. Everything will soon be fine.”

Albus continued his soothing mantra as he coaxed his son's head closer towards his neck. Severus didn't resist. He allowed his head to be lowered. He felt Albus moving his own head to the side, exposing his neck more. Exposing that luscious sweet spot.

The sweet spot, as Severus once described it, was the spot at the base of the neck where it connected with the shoulder. This spot the blood flowed more freely. During one of the many talks that Severus had with Albus, Severus would mention that there were two 'sweet spots' on the human body; the neck and the groin.

Severus could hear the low soothing mantra, and he lowered his head until he rested his forehead on Albus' shoulder and sobbed. It seemed that the fight just left Severus.

Albus felt Severus' body sag against him. In that moment, Albus knew that Severus was really in control. He was never more proud of his son than he was at this moment. Slightly rocking back and forth, Albus kept hold of his son. His loving, soothing words never stopped.

At that very moment, Poppy apparated silently into the room. Albus, keeping a tight hold on his son, looked over his shoulder at the matron across the room. He slightly shook his head at Poppy, warning her not to come any closer. Though he had Severus calm, Albus also knew that Severus was unaware of the other presence in the room.

Poppy understood the warning and stayed were she was. Very quietly, she removed the phial from her pocket and held it out in her hand.

This was were things could go badly, quickly. In order to give Severus the potion, he was going to have to loosen he grip on the man. Several things could go wrong with this. Albus would lose his hold on the vampire. Severus would know that there was someone else in the room.

Albus knew that what happened next had to be precise and fast. Tightening his grip on Severus' head, Albus held out his other hand and silently accio'ed Severus' potion from Poppy to his hand. Once he had the potion and made sure he had a firm grip on his son's head, he began pushing Severus away so that he could give him the potion. What happened next surprised the old man. Albus was expecting Severus' vampire instincts to take over again, but that isn't what happened. Severus' hands were clinging to Albus' robes. When Albus was pushing Severus away, Severus was trying to pull Albus closer to him.

Poppy saw this exchange between the two wizards and hazarded a step closer. Could it be, she wondered. Her eyes and Albus' met as she got closer. She could hear a low keening growl coming from the Potion master.

“I'm sorry, Albus,” Severus said in a low growl, letting it be known that the vampire was still there. “Don't turn me away.”

The plea pierced Albus as if he was hit with a stinging hex. He quickly responded to soothe the worry in his son's mind.

“Never, my boy. I just want you to take your potion.”

Severus opened his eyes and saw another potion similar to the one that he'd dropped earlier. Albus brought the phial to his son's lips and Severus drank the contents without struggle.

“That's it,” Albus soothingly praised.

Once Severus finished the potion, Albus quickly brought his son back into his embrace.

“All will be better soon,” Albus said, as Severus sagged against him.

Poppy walked up to them, pulling out her wand to run a diagnosis on Severus. Albus could feel Severus tightening his grip on his robes and knew what happened next would have to be tread lightly. Yes, Albus was disappointed that Severus allowed himself to get to the point he had gotten today, but he also knew that Severus would punish himself a lot harder than was needed.

Seeing that there was nothing wrong with Severus, Poppy then conjured up a warm wet flannel and held it out for Albus. Albus took it.

“Severus,” Albus said. “We need to talk.”

He could feel Severus take in a deep breath before stepping away. Albus reached out and wiped Severus' chin and mouth of the residual blood that lingered there. Severus, still dealing with the effects of the potion and the euphoric feeling of drinking the sweet liquid, stood numbly as Albus cleaned his face. When his eyes came across a bloody patch on Albus' robes, Severus came out of his stupor.

“What happened?” Severus said, his voice sounding as if he'd just waken up. “What did I do?”

“You didn't tell me how bad it was before you left,” Albus chided.

“Albus, I -” Severus said but was cut off by the man.

“No. You knew you weren't feeling well. If it was that bad, why didn't you come to us?”

“What did I do?” Severus asked again. “Who did I kill?”

“You didn't kill anyone,” Poppy responded. “But he will die if you don't give him your blood.”

“What? No,” Severus said, shaking his head. “I will not turn anyone.”

“I've stabilized him,” Poppy said. “But he won't last without blood.”

“Whoever it is would be better off if he died than to live like this,” Severus growled.

“Severus,” Albus said. “You are not a murderer. I know you will not condemn him like that.”

“And this life is so much better,” Severus screamed. “I'm a monster.”

“You are not a monster,” Albus said, walking towards him. “You are my son.”

“You're just an old coot who believes there is good in everything,” Severus sneered. “I don't know why you bother.”

Albus smiled. He really loved his sons. He saw what everyone else overlooked. Remus and Severus had kind souls. They were just dealt a bad hand. People would just see a werewolf and a vampire, not the men they were. They could not help what they were. And if it was the last thing he did, Albus was going to prove to his sons that they were not just what the public saw them.

“Who did I attack?” Severus' voice was not as harsh as before.

“What is the last thing you remember?” Albus asked.

Severus, used to being asked questions instead of them answering his, sighed and looked at his dad.

“You ordered me to go check on Potter.”

“I don't think I ordered you. I simply asked for you to check on the child,” Albus said, defensively but with a bit of sarcasm. Severus' own response was his eyebrow quirking.

“So you were being forced against your will by the tyrant old coot,” Albus said with amusement. Severus rolled his eyes. “Did you make it to the house?”

Albus already knew the answers. He just wanted to know when was the exact moment the vampire took charge.

“Yes,” Severus nodded. “I made it to the house. I was able to get to the back and next to the shed.”

“And next?” Poppy asked.

Severus squeezed his eyes shut as his brow creased as he tried to remember what happened next. He remembered the headache. He remembered reaching for his potion, but because he was shaking so badly the phial slipped his fingers.

“Severus,” Albus called, bringing the Potions master out of his musing. “What's the last thing you remember?”

“Headache. Thirsty. So thirsty,” Severus said. His eyes started to glaze over. “Then sweetness. The smell was so delectable.”

“Severus,” Albus snapped and then ordered. “Occlude right now.”

Severus blinked a couple of times and looked at his mentor.

“Very good,” Albus praised. “Now, we are going to go to the Infirmary. You will help the child there.”

“I attacked a child,” Severus said, aghast. “I killed a child.”

“Harry's alive,” Poppy said.

“Potter,” Severus looked from Poppy to Albus, hoping that they were lying. “I ... attacked ... Potter.”

__________0000_________00000________00000________000

Remus sat on the bed next to Harry with his head in his hands. Thinking about what he saw worried him. Severus looked like a true monster. As much as Poppy berated him for saying that wasn't his brother, he wasn't. Severus may be a snarky git with a sharp tongue. But to openly attack a child, even if it was James' son... he wouldn't do that. Remus wanted to talk to his brother. He wanted to understand why he would put someone in danger like this. Forget that this is James' son, Lily's son. Severus took a big risk going onto that street and not taken care of himself.

Part of Remus wanted to ask him what was he thinking. The other part, the wolf in him, wanted to tear him limb from limb for hurting someone like this.

The sound of the door to the Infirmary opening brought Remus out of his musing. He looked up at the three people walking into the room. His eyes immediately landed on his brother and he could feel Moony coming out. Growling, Remus got up from the bed and headed for Severus.

Getting to Severus before Albus or Poppy could stop him, Remus gripped Severus' robes and shook him, violently.

“What were you thinking?” Remus growled.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 4 by mandancie

“What were you thinking?” Remus growled.

Albus rushed over to his sons. Gripping Remus' shoulder with one hand and having his other across the werewolf's chest, he leaned over to his ear and spoke.

“Listen to me and listen well.” Albus tone was cold as steel. “You will release my sons. You have no reason to be out anymore.”

The tension in Remus' shoulders seem to slack under Albus' hands. The grip in Severus' robes also slackened.

“Let him go,” Albus said, his tone much calmer that it was a moment ago.

Remus' arms fell limply at his sides. Albus turned him and embraced his son.

“You will calm down and let me deal with your brother,” Albus whispered to Remus.

Remus lowered his head onto his father's shoulder and nodded.

“Go back and sit with Harry.”

Remus was released and he slowly walked back over towards the bed, where Poppy was already, running another diagnosis over the child. Sitting down on the next bed, Remus looked at the small child. Poppy walked over to him, putting her hand on his shoulder and giving a comforting squeeze. He looked up at her and she gave him a sad smile. Then without saying a word she got back to work.

Albus watched as Remus sat down dejectedly on the bed. He sighed and then turned to face Severus. Poppy, leaving Harry's bedside, walked over towards Albus, pulling an empty phial from her pocket. Without saying a word, she placed the phial in Severus' hand.

“Fill it up, Severus,” Albus said when Poppy walked away.

Severus looked down at the empty container in his hand. A slight shake began in his head. He did not want to turn someone. He did not want the responsibility behind it. He never liked Potter. He didn't want to have anything to do with the child.

“I will not condemn him to this life,” Severus said, holding out the still empty container.

“You've already condemned him, Severus,” Albus said. “I'm asking you to save his life.”

Severus looked over Albus' shoulder to the small child laying on the bed. Severus had always prided himself in remaining in control of himself. He may not want to have anything to do with the child, but he wasn't so heartless that he wanted to kill the boy either.

Lifting up his arm and pulling back his sleeve, Severus brought his wrist to his mouth and bit it. He maneuvered his wrist so that it was over the opening of the phial and filled it with his blood. After half of phial was filled, he removed his wrist and licked the self-inflicted wound closed. Putting the phial in Albus' hands, Severus turned and walked out of the Infirmary.

Albus, watching his son retreat, cast a locator charm and an anti self-harming charm over his son before Severus made it out of the room. Severus paused in his stride, feeling the magic come over him, but did not waver from his destination.

Everyone in the room knew there were a few places that dour man would go; the Potions lab, the lake, or his chambers.

Harry came in from outside. The sun was just too much for him today. He was so hot and thirsty. Rushing over to the sink and grabbing a glass, Harry filled the glass with tap water. He gulped thirstily. Once he finished one glass he replaced the glass back under the water. Turning the tap to full blast to fill the glass, for a second time, he gulped down the water. Nothing was quenching his thirst.

What do you think you are doing?” screeched Petunia.

Harry ignored her, filling his glass for a third time. Petunia, tired of being ignored, rushed over to the boy and grabbed his arm.

You will answer me, boy,” Petunia sneered.

When she grabbed Harry's arm, she cause the child to drop the glass on the floor. Harry looked at the broken glass on the floor along with the small pooling of water that was once in the glass. Harry was still thirsty and seeing the water that he'd just fill in the glass now spilled on the floor something snapped in the child.

In the back of his mind, he didn't understand why he was so thirsty. He'd never experience this kind of thirst before. The dryness of his throat was so intense that it hurt. He didn't care that he was probably breaking many of his relative's rules by drinking from the faucet. He was thirsty. Snatching his arm away from his aunt's grip, Harry reached for another glass so that he could fill it with more water.

Not allowing Harry to continue filling the water, Petunia turned off the tap and slapped the glass out of Harry's hand. Since he was still over the sink, this time the glass didn't break when it fell from his hand. A low growl escaped Harry's lips. He was getting tired of being refused water. Reaching into the sink again and not realizing how strongly he gripped the handle, he quickly swiped his arm towards his aunt, successfully slicing her cheek. Her cheek began to bleed. Pressing her hand on her assaulted cheek, she stepped away from Harry, so if he was to attack again, she would not be in striking distance.

Harry took a deep breath through his nose. The smell was delectable. Never had he ever smelled something so heavenly. Slowly, he walked towards his aunt. Petunia, not liking the look on Harry's face, began to retreat from the kitchen. Before she could even reach the door, Harry jumped and landed next to her, knocking her down on the floor. Harry straddled her stomach and leaned down so that his face was inches from hers.

The smell was intoxicating. Everything in Harry was saying to lick the sweet red nectar that was leaking out of his aunt's face. Giving into those feelings, Harry lowered himself so that he was getting closer and closer.

Harry began thrashing against the bed.

“Albus,” Poppy said, bringing the Headmaster out of his thoughts. “I need the phial. He's breaking through the Dreamless sleep.”

Remus was holding Harry down on the bed. Albus rushed over to the bed and handed Poppy the phial and then grabbed the child's ankles in help of pinning the child to the bed.

Poppy gripped Harry's neck and slightly lifted it. Putting the small container to the child's lips, she gently poured the red contents in the his mouth. Harry's automatic swallowing reflexes he began drinking the liquid.

Step away, fledgling,” a soothing baritone voice said.

Harry quickly sat up. He knew that voice. When he turned into the direction it came from, he didn't see anyone. A feeling of longing and dread filled the boy as he felt himself move away from his cowering aunt on the floor.

You will not harm her,” the voice ordered. “You are not a monster.”

Harry looked around the kitchen and could not find where the voice was coming from. He knew that voice, but it never had that same feeling that it was bringing him now. Before that voice would bring dread, now, it was almost soothing.

______0000_____00000________00000

Severus, after leaving the Infirmary, went to his chambers. He had thought about going to his lab, but after everything that recently happened, he didn't trust himself with his potions. Sitting in his lounge chair, Severus thought about everything that happened. He attacked someone. He attacked a child. He attacked Potter. One word kept popping in his mind as he sat there; monster. Even with his dislike for the child, he would not condemn anyone to this life. And here he did just that.

Sighing, Severus laid his head back on the chair and closed his eyes. The first thing that popped in his mind was an enclosed space. Not a very large space. Looking around the small space, Severus could feel a small mattress on the floor. Moving his hands around the meager space, he could feel cobwebs, dust. His fingers brushed against something soft. Flesh. Moving his hand, he could make out that he was touching a small child's ankle. Very puzzled at why he was feeling a child's leg, he continued his search. In his movement, he felt a string brush against his hair. Keeping one hand on the small ankle, Severus raised his other towards the string and pulled. He was rewarded with a soft light luminated the small space. After his eyes adjusted to the light, he realized that he was in a cupboard. Looking around he saw household chemicals, a broom and dustpan, and a mop.

The ankle moved, bringing Severus back to the small figure under his hand. Looking at the small child that appeared to be asleep, the child turned in his slumbering state causing his hair to move away from his forehead. The first thing that caught Severus' attention was the lightning bolt scar.

“It can't be,” Severus gasped as he sat up straighter in his chair.

Severus got up and began pacing. What he saw didn't make sense. Harry Potter was a spoiled brat. Harry Potter was an arrogant brat that was just like his father. Seeing the boy sleeping in a cupboard was not right. How he was sleeping troubled the Potions Professor. Harry wasn't sleeping as if he was put in there as a punishment and he fell asleep. No, he was sleeping as if this was a normal occurrence.

Things were not adding up, thought Severus.

_____0000________0000______00000

Once the phial was finished, Harry's body slacked against the bed as if all the fight left the child.

“Why don't you two go get some rest,” Poppy suggested, as she straightened up. “I'll keep watch over Harry and if there are any changes I'll send for you.”

Remus was about to object when he felt Albus' hand on his shoulder.

“Get some rest, too, Poppy,” Albus said. “Come, Remus.”

Albus turned and left out of the Infirmary. Remus looked down at the small child, then stood up and followed his dad out of the Infirmary. Albus was waiting for Remus to come out.

“Let's go talk,” Albus said.

“Dad -”

“Not here.” Albus turned and headed towards the stairs. Remus sighed and followed.

Remus knew he would get an ear full for going after Severus and he wasn't looking forward to going to Albus' chambers. Albus had never raised his hand to either Remus or Severus, thought they had both did things that warranted a good spanking, but his disappointment could be just as bad. Remus and Severus sometimes both wish that they would rather Albus would beat them than to deal with his disappointment. At least it wouldn't hurt so bad. Both of them were used to being beaten, so getting punished that way didn't seem that bad. Yes, it would hurt but that hurt wouldn't last that long, and then you learned to disassociate yourself from the beatings.

Remus, so caught up in his thoughts, didn't realize where they were going until they stopped at the portrait. Albus opened the passageway without the password. A privilege of being Headmaster and father of the owner of these chambers.

Walking in the chambers, they found Severus pacing back and forth.

“Severus,” Albus called out.

Severus stopped pacing, not even shocked by the two intruders that were now in his chambers without his permission and looked at Albus.

“He's no different than us,” Severus said, accusingly.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 5 by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I know it has been almost forever since I've written on this story. I hope that you enjoy it.

Harry woke up and looked around the room. At first, he didn't recognize where he was. Out of habit, he ran his hand towards his face and noticed that his glasses were still on. Gripping the frames, Harry took the glasses from his face and realized that, for the first time in his memory, he could see clearly without his glasses.

Once the glasses came off, Harry could see that he was in the Infirmary at Hogwarts. The big question was why was he at Hogwarts? The last thing he remembered was getting supplies together so that he could water the garden.

Slightly turning his head, Harry felt a sharp pain in his neck. He put his hand on his neck but didn't feel anything. Not wanting to stay in the infirmary any longer than he had to be, Harry tried sitting up. At first, it took a moment for the room to stop spinning. Once he could see straight, he stood on shaky legs and quietly walked out into the hallway.

_000_0000_0000

"Please sit," Albus said, though his tone of voice made it so he wasn't asking.

Severus huffed as he sat back into the chair he previously vacated.

"You too, Remus," Albus said.

Remus walked over to the sofa and sat down next to Albus.

"Now," Albus said. "Would you two care to tell me what has gotten into you? Neither one of you is ever this careless."

"Me?" Remus said, incredulously. "What did I do? He," pointing at Severus, "bit Harry. He turned the child."

Severus, who had yet to say anything, gave a slight cringe at hearing that he turned someone.

"And you think that you are guiltless?" Albus asked, looking at Remus. His blue eyes cold as ice. "You attacked your brother."

"He's no brother of mine," Remus raged. "He turned a child."

Remus' eyes started to turn again. His breathing becoming erratic.

Again, Severus did not say anything to defend himself. He did not want to admit how much that statement hurt. As much as he and Remus fought, the last thing he wanted to do was lose him as a brother, but what could he say? He was careless. He did not only lose himself but nearly killed a child. Severus sat there taking the rebuke that Remus was giving him. What he did not understand was why Albus not joining him in the reprimand. Severus was waiting for the physical attack to happen soon. It was only a matter of time.

When the first sound of movement was heard, Severus closed his eyes in anticipation of the pain that would follow the blow that was sure to come his way. But that did not happen. Severus looked up and what he saw surprised him.

Albus had a firm grip on the back of Remus' neck, bringing his head down so that his ear was next to his mouth. Albus began whispering into the werewolf's ear.

"I have asked you to leave my son," Albus whispered, harshly. "Do not make me tell you again. You will control your temper. If I have to say something to you again, you will not like the consequences. We are a family and you will respect everyone in this family."

The stiffness Albus felt under his hand relaxed. Feeling the muscles loosen, Albus loosened his grip on his son. He allowed his son to sit back on the sofa.

There was silence between them for a moment. Albus looked over at the dour man. He could see that Severus was struggling with what happened.

"Would you like to explain the statement you said when we came in?" Albus asked Severus.

Severus looked up at Albus, slightly startled by the sudden voice in the silence.

"Who is no different than you?"

"Potter," Severus said. Though saying the child's name didn't hold the same contempt that it held before.

"What did you see?" Albus asked.

"He lived in a cupboard."

"What?" Remus asked.

"He was asleep inside a cupboard," Severus tone was exhausted. For the past two years, he saw that boy as a spoiled child that had everything handed to him on a silver platter. Harry Potter could do no wrong. But that wasn't true. Not if his bedroom was a small cupboard under the stairs.

"Where had he been staying?" Remus asked.

"With his aunt," Albus answered. "I thought she would have taken care of the child." Albus mused to himself. To Severus, he asked, "What was Harry doing when you got to the house?"

"Gathering supplies," Severus answered.

"When Harry is able to talk, we'll ask him," Albus said.

_000_0000_000

Harry walked aimlessly through the hallways. He had his glasses in one hand and his other hand in his pocket, trying to remember why he was at Hogwarts. As he walked, he tried to remember the last thing he was doing. He remembered the blue sky, wishing that he was flying. He remembered that it was hot, very hot. Harry looked down at his arms. He remembered carrying things out of the shed. The old watering can. It scratched his arm. He looked at his arm and didn't see any scratches anywhere, rubbing his fingers over his arm.

Turning down a random corridor, Harry begins to remember the last thing that happened when he thought about flying. He remembered being grabbed from behind.

The fear that enveloped the child came back full force as he lifted his head and saw where he was. He was now standing in front of the entrance to the Headmaster.

_000_000_

The fire turned green and Poppy's voice came through the flames.

"Albus."

"I'm here, Poppy," Albus said, getting up from the sofa and walking towards the hearth.

"Harry's gone," Poppy's frantic voice sounded throughout the room.

"A constant troublemaker," Severus growled out.

Albus turned and glared at the Potions Master and then spoke back to the flames.
"Do not worry, Poppy. We will find him. He couldn't have gotten too far."

"This is Potter we are talking about," Severus sneered.

Albus quickly stood up, facing Severus.

"Need I remind you that you are the reason Harry is here."

Severus closed his mouth, lowering his head.

"Stand up," Albus ordered. Severus looked up at Albus. "I said, stand up."

Severus sighed and stood in front of Albus.

"Go find, Harry," Albus ordered. Severus looked like he was going to refused, but Albus continued. "You are not a man that hides from your responsibilities. Go find him."

Albus stepped aside, giving Severus a straight path to the chamber door.

Severus and Remus looked at each other for a moment but did not say anything.

"Don't make me ask you again," Albus said, bringing Severus out of his thoughts.

Severus looked at the man who had been there for him since he started at Hogwarts when he was eleven. The last thing he ever wanted to do was disappoint the man, but it seemed like that was all he was doing. Truly looking at Albus' expression, he could see the worried lines on his brow, the dullness of his blue eyes, the downward curve of his lips, and Severus knew without a doubt that he was the reason behind Albus looking that way. Sighing, Severus slowly walked towards the door. He was about to leave when he felt a hand gripping his shoulder and spinning him around into an embrace. It took him a second to realize who was actually holding him.

"I'm sorry," Severus gasped when he felt his brother's arms around him.

"Bring Harry back to me, so that I can properly meet him," Remus whispered in his brother's ear. Severus nodded against his brother's shoulder.

Just as quickly as Remus grabbed his brother did he let him go. Severus said nothing as he turned once again and walked out of his chambers.

_0000_0000_0000

It didn't take Severus long to find Harry, no, Potter, always Potter. Severus hated the fact that he was now connected to the child. When he was attacked in his third year, he swore to himself that he would never put anyone through the same hell that he went through, even though, Harry's would be totally different because Severus was bitten by an unknown vampire. Severus never knew who bit him, but he knew that Remus was the reason he was still alive. Albus had once mentioned that it was a good thing that Remus was a werewolf. For some reason, being a werewolf kept Severus from changing him.

Severus knew what Harry was going to need and he really was not looking forward to it. Climbing the stairs, Severus could feel what Harry was feeling.

_0000_00000_0000

"Well, well, well," the statue guarding Albus' office said.

Harry jumped back a little at the unexpected voice.

"Hello," Harry said, shakily.

"Yes," the gargoyle said.

"I-I didn't know y-you could talk," Harry stuttered out.

"No one ever gives me a chance to," the gargoyle chuckled.

Harry tilted his head in fascination. A small smile tugging at his lips.

"Do you talk to many people?" Harry asked. His confidence was building back up as he talked to the statue.

"Only a select few," the gargoyle confessed.

Harry giggled softly. The more he stood with the gargoyle the more comfortable he was feeling. The gargoyle had a calm feeling about it. Harry felt like he was talking to the Headmaster.

"Making a nuisance of yourself?" a silky voice at the end of the hallway asked.

Harry quickly turned around to see his hated Potions Professor walking towards him.

"Professor," Harry squeaked, backing up against the stone gargoyle.

"Don't scare the child, Severus," the gargoyle chided.

Severus rolled his eyes skyward. Ignoring the gargoyle, he put his attention on the child as he got closer.

"Why are you out of bed?" Severus asked.

Harry just stood there, his mouth gaped open.

"Did Madam Pomphrey say you could leave?" Severus raised an eyebrow at the boy.

Harry lowered his head. His throat started burning. He could feel the tears starting to come to his eyes. He didn't understand why he was feeling like this. This wasn't the first time that Professor Snape talked to him like this, so why was it bothering him so much now?

"Follow me," Severus ordered, turning around and walking back down the corridor.

Harry, not moving from the spot, looked up at his Professor's receding back as tears pooled his eyes.

"Go on, child," the gargoyle said, softly.

Harry looked up at the gargoyle just as a tear streamed down his cheek. Harry followed Snape down the corridor. He was already at the stairs when Harry came out of the hallway. Harry saw that Professor Snape was angry, but then again, had Harry ever seen the man when he wasn't angry. He guessed what was puzzling him now was why did he care so much that he was angry.

The walk down towards the dungeon was a quiet one. Severus, trying his best to ignore the child trailing behind him, couldn't help the tug at his heart every time he heard sniffling. But honestly, he didn't know what to say to the boy.

When they got to Severus' chambers, Severus opened the passageway, holding it open for the child.

Harry stood there looking up at the man, not moving.

"Enter," Severus said, curtly, putting his hand on the back of the child's neck and giving him a slight push into the chambers. Harry saw the Headmaster sitting in a chair next to the fireplace and another man sitting on a small sofa across from him. Harry remained at the doorway. Severus walked around him in a huff in the attempt of sitting in the other armchair in the room, but he was stopped by the glare his father was giving him. Remus wasn't looking at his dad and brother; his attention was on the boy standing at the door.

"Harry," Remus said, after a long while of no one speaking. "Come sit," patting the sofa cushion next to him.

Harry looked at the man on the sofa. He seemed friendly enough, but for some reason, he was wary of the man. There were scratches across his face.

"Come in, Harry," Remus pleaded again.

Slowly, Harry walked over to the sofa. When he walked past the Potions Master, he could almost feel coldness within his bones. He looked up and saw the look on the Headmaster's face and audibly gulped. Harry lowered himself where he stood, which was not on the sofa but on the floor next to Severus.

"Dad," Remus called out, trying to get the elder wizard's attention. "Dad, you're scaring Harry."

Albus looked from Severus towards Harry and his eyes seemed to change. They no longer had a hard edge to them. He blinked and looked at the small child sitting on the floor.

"Harry, dear boy," Albus said, soothingly. "Come here, child."

Harry looked up at the two wizards sitting down not moving from where he was, and then looked up at the man standing next to him. Severus looked down at the boy, rolled his eyes and snapped out, "Go." before sitting down on the other chair in the room.

Harry quickly got up and walked over to the Headmaster. Albus gave Severus a cool stare before calming his features and looking at the child now in front of him.

"Harry, how are you feeling?"

Harry looked back at Severus before returning his gaze towards Albus.

"I'm fine, sir," Harry answered.

"Wonderful," Albus said, his eyes twinkling. "Let me introduce you to Remus Lupin," slightly turning Harry so that he is standing in front of the man. "He was one of your father's best friends."

Severus sighed at that admission but did not say a word because of the cold stare he received again from Albus.

"Remus, why don't you escort Harry back to the Infirmary so that Poppy can rest easy knowing that Harry is alright? Then meet us in my office in about thirty minutes."

Severus couldn't help his squirming in the chair after hearing that.

Remus stood up, holding out his arm.

"Come, Harry."

Harry looked at everyone in the room and could see all three were in deep thought, but the Potions Professor looked uncomfortable. Remus put his hand on Harry's shoulder and gently pushed the child out of the room.

When the door clicked behind them, Severus lowered his head because he knew he was in for a long discussion.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 6 by mandancie

After the door closed, Albus looked at his son sitting across from him.

“Would you like to tell me what’s going on with you?”

Severus said nothing.

“Look at me,” Albus said.

Severus lifted his head to his mentor, his father.

Albus saw something in his boy’s face that he didn’t like. Severus was showing fear. Though Severus would deny it, Albus could always read his son’s eyes. Severus was skilled in Occlumency, so expressions would not show on his face. But it was Albus who taught him Occlumency, and he knew where to look to see his emotions. Severus’ eyes.

What Albus saw was fear. The question was why Severus was showing fear. Was it because he turned Harry? Was it because he believed he was in trouble? Or, what bothered Albus the most, was Severus worried that Albus would hurt him?

“Severus,” Albus soothed. “I have never raised my hand to you growing up. That will not change now. You are my son. I am not Tobias. I will not beat you. But we will discuss what you did wrong and how you will make it up.”

Severus lowered his head again.

“Eyes up, Severus,” Albus chided softly. “I know you did not mean to turn anyone, much less a child. But it has happened, and you will take responsibility for what you did. Am I understood?”

Severus gulped and nodded his head.

“Severus.”

“Yes, sir,” Severus said.

“Now, Harry is scared about what is happening to him. You will help him go through the changes, just like Remus and I were there for you. You will not be alone in this. Your brother and I will be there with you.”

“Yes, sir,” Severus answered.

“Now, I want you to stop sulking,” Albus said, clapping his hand, smiling. Albus stood from his seat and walked closer to Severus. “Let’s embrace Harry into the family. He is your fledgling now.”

Severus sighed and stood up. Albus put his hands on Severus’ shoulders, giving them a small squeeze. “Everything will be all right.”

____0000_____0000_____0000_____0000

Remus and Harry walked upstairs. Harry had his head down. His throat burned with tears. He didn’t understand why he felt like crying. When the two got to the second set of stairs, Remus stopped and stood in front of Harry, stopping him.

“Harry,” Remus said, sitting down on the stairs. “What’s wrong?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders.

“Come now, Harry,” Remus said, lifting Harry’s head. “You can tell me. What’s bothering you?”

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” Harry said. A tear he had been trying to hide, slid down his cheek.

“Now, now,” Remus said, pulling Harry closer to him. “There is nothing to be scared about. You’ll be fine. Severus and I will not let anything happen to you.”

“But Professor Snape doesn’t like me,” Harry blurted out.

Once it was said out loud, Harry started crying. Remus pulled Harry toward him and started hugging the child.

“I promise you, Harry,” Remus said softly, rubbing Harry’s back. “Severus likes you.”

Harry shook his head on Remus’ shoulder. “He hates me. He’s always hated me.” Harry mumbled in Remus’ shoulder.

The cries of Harry broke Remus’ heart. He knew he needed to get Harry to Poppy so that she could do a final check on him before going to his dad’s office, but he didn’t have the heart to move. He just sat on the stairs comforting Harry.

It was faint at first, but it got louder and louder. Remus could hear footsteps coming closer. Severus was taking the stairs two at a time. Remus saw him coming and could see his brother was operating on instinct, not realizing what he was doing. Remus could see the tears in Severus’ eyes when he was on the final steps. Severus didn’t say anything, he just grabbed Harry from behind, turning Harry around and holding the crying child in his arms.

“Why the tears, fledgling?” Severus asked, soothingly, in Harry’s ear.

Harry knew who was holding him. A part of him was scared if he said anything that he would be rejected. Another part wanted to hold on tight and never let go. No matter what. Severus propped Harry up so that he could walk up the last set of steps towards the Infirmary. Harry wrapped his legs around Severus’ waist. Remus, still sitting on the steps, watched his brother take Harry the rest of the way.

Albus walked up the stairs and stood beside Remus.

“What happened?” Albus asked.

“Severus is taking responsibility for his actions,” Remus said, standing up.

Albus smiled. “Come,” Albus wrapped his arm around Remus’ shoulders. “I have both my sons here, and now I have another. Let’s have some tea.”

Albus and Remus walked towards Albus’ office.

___0000____0000____0000____000

Severus walked into the Infirmary. He saw Poppy was sitting at her desk in her office.

“Poppy,” Severus called out.

“Severus,” Poppy said, getting up. “You can come in here. I want to run a final diagnostic on Harry,” pulling out her wand, “I’m sure he’s fine, seeing how he hasn’t let you go.”

“Yes,” Severus sighed, rubbing Harry’s back.

It didn’t take long for Poppy to run her diagnostics. Once she gave Harry the all clear, Severus headed to Albus’ office. Harry stopped crying, only hiccupping once and a while. His grip on Severus didn’t waver. For some reason, he just couldn’t let him go. He had to hold on for dear life.

Severus walked towards the gargoyle.

“Well, well,” the gargoyle said. “This is a wonderful sight.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Severus grumbled. “Will you let us in?”

“Of course,” the gargoyle said, moving out of the way.

Severus walked up the spiral stairs to see that his dad’s door was open.

“Come in, Severus, bring me my grandchild,” called out Albus.

Severus walked into the office and saw that Remus and Albus were sitting in the living room. Both of them were in the chairs, leaving the sofa empty. Severus raised his eyebrow at them.

“Well, since you have someone in your arms, it wouldn’t be too comfortable for you to sit in the chair,” Remus said, smiling.

Severus walked over to the sofa and sat down. He was surprised at how easy it was for him to hold Harry so long. His arms didn’t get tired. It was like Harry was supposed to be there. When he sat down, Harry’s feet uncrossed from behind his back and were bent on either side of Severus.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said quietly. “There is much to discuss, and it cannot happen if you are clinging to me like a spider monkey.”

Harry's fist tightened on Severus’ robe.

“Come now, child,” Severus said, placing his hands under Harry’s arms and started pushing Harry away.

Harry’s knees dug into Severus’ side, and he tried to pull Severus closer to him.

“Dear boy—,” Albus started, but Remus held up his hand, shaking his head.

Remus nodded to Severus, the Potion Master sighed, and decided to take another approach.

“My fledgling,” Severus soothed in Harry’s ear. “You are not being rejected. You are mine. And mine, you will stay. In the two years that you’ve known me, have I ever lied to you?” There was a small shake of Harry’s head. “That’s right. But there are things that you need to understand, and I need to see your face.”

“You don’t hate me?” Harry’s question mumbled in Severus’ shoulder, but all three wizards heard the child.

“I’ve never hated you, Harry,” Severus answered. “I will never hate you, child.”

Harry slowly moved his head off of Severus’ shoulder and pulled away.

“You don’t hate me?” Harry asked again, looking at Severus.

“No, child,” Severus said, shaking his head.

A small smile crept on Harry’s face. Severus never thought he would feel warmth in his chest from seeing anyone smile at him.

“Are you ready to meet the rest of your family?” Severus asked.

Harry nodded, but still didn’t let go of Severus’ robes. Severus put his hand over one of Harry’s hands, his eyes never leaving the child’s. Harry’s grip loosened of the clothing but gripped Severus’ hand. Severus did the same with the other hand. Before Harry could object to what would happen next, he moved with such speed that he didn’t realize he moved until he stopped. He was now sitting on Severus’ lap; his back was to Severus’ chest. Harry was surprised that he wasn’t dizzy from moving so fast. He looked back at Severus. Severus winked at him. Harry turned back and saw the headmaster and Remus.

“Well, Harry, my dear boy,” Albus said, smiling. “Welcome to the family.”

Remus winked at Harry. Harry leaned back against Severus, smiling. He had a family.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 7 by mandancie

After the introductions, Harry leaned back against his Potion Professor’s chest. The voices of the men around him seemed to dull out in Harry’s ears. He was comfortable sitting on the Potion Master’s lap. The arm that was wrapped around him felt safe and secure. Something Harry had never felt. Harry’s head was leaning on the arm and he started to doze off. The slight tapping on his chest was soothing as well. He could feel the heartbeat on his back. Harry felt accepted.

“He’s finally dozing off,” Remus said.

“Yeah,” Severus agreed. “During the change, your body gets tired.”

“Don’t I know it,” Remus said. “It took you a long time to wake up.”

“Yeah, well,” Severus said, looking down at the boy. “I hope it won’t be the same with Harry.”

Albus sat back and listened to his two boys talking to each other. It had been a long time since he was able to have both of his sons in the same room. Albus was radiating with happiness.

“And what are you beaming at?” Severus asked, looking at Albus.

“I finally have both my sons together,” Albus said, smiling.

“Yeah, well, don’t get used to it,” Severus said, smirking.

“Now, now,” Albus said, waving his hand and having a tea service appear with a small table in between them. “Grant an old man his dream.”

Remus leaned forward and started preparing his tea. Severus scowled at what his brother was putting in it.

“You know most people have a little sugar with their tea not a little tea with their sugar,” Severus grimaced. “How can you stand that?”

“Just because I don’t drink my tea like you, bitter and sour, doesn’t mean that mine is any less tea.”

“Oh please,” Severus said, rolling his eyes. “Can you even taste the tea under all that sugar?”

“Why are you on my case?” Remus asked sipping his tea.

“Because that is disgusting,” Severus snarled.

“Now boys,” Albus said, sipping his own tea. “Everyone has their own tastes. And I’m excited to see how Mr. Potter takes his tea.”

“He’s my fledgling, so he will take it like me,” Severus preened.

“Oh please,” Remus said, rolling his eyes. “Both James and Lily loved sweet tea. He will take after them.”

Severus hmphed after that. He looked down at the messy headed boy in his lap. He could see Harry was trying to sleep but kept trying to look around as if he was going to miss something if he slept.

Severus leaned down until he was close to the child’s ear.

“Sleep, fledgling,” Severus whispered. “We will be here when you wake. Your body is changing, and it needs rest.”

Harry moaned at that. He started squirming in the Potion Master’s lap. Remus and Albus were talking trying to give Severus some privacy with Harry. At first Severus was at a lost a what he was supposed to do.

Remus broke the conversation with Albus and looked at his brother.

“Follow your instincts,” Remus said. “You’re fighting it. Harry’s taking his cues from you. Allow your body to tell you how to deal with him. And Harry will follow.”

Severus looked at his brother and back down at Harry. Closing his eyes, Severus calmed his nerves and took his brother’s advice. Harry was still moaning and fidgeting on Severus’ lap. With his eyes closed, Severus raised his arm until his wrist was in front of Harry’s mouth.

Harry was agitated. He didn’t know why, just that there was something that he wanted, and he didn’t know what it was or how to ask for it. The more agitated he was getting the more scared he was becoming. What was wrong with him?

Then there was something that calmed him down. He felt the heat of something coming towards his face. His instincts were telling him that he should open his mouth and bite down. Harry was fighting it. He didn’t want to bite anything. It would make him a monster, and he didn’t want to be some monstrous freak. He was already a freak. He didn’t want to add to it.

A voice in his head said, “It’s okay. Follow your instincts. You need it.”

Harry succumbed to the overwhelming urges and opened his mouth. He latched on to what was in front of him. A sweet liquid entered his mouth. It was the best thing he’s ever tasted.

Severus was talking with Remus when the Potion Master’s eyes closed. Remus smirked at what was happening. Albus and Remus continued with their conversation, pretending that nothing was happening on the sofa.

Severus felt a surge of protectiveness over the child on his lap. Like a wave of completion finally washed over him. As Harry continued to suck from his wrist, Severus’ other arm wrapped around Harry’s middle pulling the child tighter to him. It was like their link was getting stronger.

In the end, Harry could feel what his professor was thinking, and Severus could feel what his fledgling was thinking.

The voice in Harry’s head said, “I am no longer just your professor. You are my fledgling, my child. You can call me Severus if you want.”

“Da,” Harry said. It was more comfortable to call his professor that than his given name. “Thank you for allowing the freak to come in.”

“Freak,” Severus said, quickly removing his wrist from Harry’s mouth.

Remus and Albus saw the abrupt movement and their conversation stopped. Remus and Albus were prepared to take on whatever caused Severus to sever his link to the child.

Severus opened his eyes, brought his wrist to his mouth, licking the bite so to close it up. He picked Harry up and turned him around to look at the child. Severus brought Harry close to his face to where they were nose to nose. They were almost touching.

Harry felt the sweet liquid taken away and the first tear burned the back of his eyes. His da didn’t want the freak. Why did he always have to make things worse?

“Open your eyes,” Severus commanded.

Harry opened his eyes. Severus could see the tears pooling in those emerald orbs.

“I’m sorry,” Harry whined. “I didn’t mean to make you mad.” Harry tried to move off of Severus’ lap but the grip his da had under his arms, Harry couldn’t move.

“Listen to me,” Severus snarled. “You are not a freak. I don’t ever want to hear you call yourself that again. Am I understood?”

Harry’s tears spilled over as he looked at the man in front of him.

“But I am a freak,” Harry whispered. “I’ve always been a freak.”

“I will not have my child referring to himself as a freak,” Severus growled.

“Your child?” Harry asked.

“Yes, my child,” Severus said, his voice going softer. “The moment we fed from each other you became mine.”

“Yours,” Harry whispered.

“Mine,” Severus whispered, lowering his forehead until he was touching Harry’s forehead.

For a moment Severus and Harry didn’t move. Severus then pushed Harry back until he was sitting on Severus’ lap.

“Now,” Severus said, calmly. “Who calls you freak?”

Harry lowered his head. Severus crooked his finger under Harry’s chin and raised his head up so that Harry was looking at him.

“No one will hurt you,” Severus promised. “Between me and your Uncle Remus, we won’t let them.”

Harry smirked, lowering his head until it was leaning against his da’s chest.

“My relatives,” Harry whispered. He lifted his head and looked at his Da. “I’m just a freak--,”

Severus and Remus growled. Harry’s eyes got huge looking up at Severus.

“It’s what they called me,” Harry said quickly. “I am to work around the house to show my appreciation for them taking me in.”

“Your appreciation?” Albus said. “My dear boy,” Harry turned around and looked at the Headmaster. “What is it you do?”

“Uhm, cook, clean, gardening,” Harry shrugged. “The usual things.”

Severus closed his eyes as he pulled Harry into a hug. His arms were tight around the child, but Harry didn’t complain.

Albus looked at his sons. He knew they were getting upset. Both men had their eyes closed. Remus’ hands were gripping the arms of the chair. His grip was so tight that his knuckles were turning bone white. Severus was trying to calm himself because he knew that his fledgling was on his lap. He lowered his head until his nose was buried in Harry’s hair, taking a deep breath trying to calm himself down.

“Boys,” Albus said. “I need you both to calm down. We need to discuss this.”

“What’s to discuss?” Remus growled. “He’s my cub. He’s my nephew. They hurt him. They abused their power.”

Remus looked over at his father. Albus could see that Remus’ eyes were amber. Looking over at Severus, Albus saw that his eyes were red. His pupils were turning to slits. Albus waved his hands causing the door to lock. He then put a binding spell on Remus to keep him on the chair.

Remus growled loudly when he felt himself being stuck to the chair.

“Let me go,” Remus growled.

“Not until you calm down,” Albus said coolly.

“They must pay.”

“And they will,” Albus said. “But as a family. Not alone. You are not alone. Neither one of you.”

Albus looked at both of his sons.

“Harry, my boy, come here,” Albus said.

Severus tightened his grip on his fledgling and growled.

“Severus,” Albus said, his voice turning cold. “You do not growl at me. I’m not taking him away. I just want to talk to him. Let. Him. Go.”

Severus stared at his father and softly growled. He fought his instincts of running away with his boy and hiding him. Looking at his father, he knew he couldn’t do it. Very slowly, Severus opened his arms.

Harry looked at his da and back to the Headmaster. Waiting for permission, Harry looked back to his da. Severus looked down to Harry and gave a slight nod. Harry climbed down and walked over to the Headmaster.

Albus pulled Harry closer to him, making him stand between his knees.

“Harry,” Albus said, softly. Holding Harry’s hands in his, slightly rubbing his thumbs over the backs of Harry’s hands. “How long have you worked around your relative’s house?”

Harry shrugged. “As long as I can remember.”

Harry heard a growl and turned back to his da, but Albus pulled on Harry’s hands to make him turn back, facing Albus again.  

“Tell me a typical day with you relatives,” Albus said, rubbing the back of Harry’s hands again.

“I get up and make breakfast,” Harry said. “Afterwards, I clean the kitchen. Aunt Petunia gives me a list of things that I have to have finished before Uncle Vernon gets home. Sometimes I am cleaning the inside of the house: making the beds, cleaning the bathrooms, dust the living room. Sometimes I clean Dudley’s second bedroom. When I have to work outside—,”

“Wait a minute,” Remus said, trying to keep the growl out of his voice. “Dudley’s second bedroom?”

Harry turned to Remus. “Yeah, Dudley have two bedrooms. One is where he sleeps the other is where he keeps his toys.”

“Where do you sleep?” Severus asked. He had a feeling he knew but he wanted to hear it from the child’s mouth.

“My room is the cupboard under the stairs,” Harry said.

Severus growled and tried to stand up. Albus let go of one of Harry’s hand and waved his hand across Severus making him sit back down. Severus tried to stand, but just like Remus, he couldn’t stand.

“Let me up, old man,” Severus growled.

Albus raised an eyebrow at the statement. He didn’t reply to Severus. He put his attention back on Harry.

“You were about to tell me about your work outside,” Albus said to Harry.

“Sometimes, I wash Uncle Vernon’s car, mow the lawn. One time I had to paint the fence. I did a good job,” Harry said with pride in his voice.

Remus and Severus tried to get out of the binds that were holding them.

“You’re doing this during the summer?” Albus asked.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “Before I got my letter, I did it the entire year.”

Albus sat back in his chair. He looked at the child standing in front of him. He looked at the whole child. His height. His weight on how skinny his was. Albus looked at his clothes and noticed that they were slightly too big.

“Are these your regular clothes?” Albus asked.

Both Remus and Severus stopped trying to stand up and really looked at the small child in front of them. His shirt was slightly too big. His collar was sliding down one of his shoulders. The pants were too big, and they were staying up with a large belt that was wrapped twice around his waist.

Harry looked at all the men in the room. They all had angry faces.

“I’m sorry,” Harry said.

“Please, let me up,” Severus said. His voice was straining. “Please dad, let me up.”

Albus looked at Severus and could see that he needed his boy. Waving his hand, Severus stood up and leaned over, grabbing Harry and pulling him in his lap.

Harry felt hands under his arms. He was lifted and brought to a broad chest. He felt his da step back and sit back down on the sofa. Severus had his face in the crook of Harry’s neck. His arms were wrapped around Harry’s middle. Severus breathed in fledgling’s scent, trying to calm down. Harry wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.

Remus looked over at his father. “We need to visit his relatives.”

“Don’t worry,” Albus said. “We will.”

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 8 by mandancie

 

“Da, what’s the matter?” Harry asked.

Severus pushed Harry back so he could look at the child in his arms.

“What’s the matter?” Severus looked from Albus to Remus back to the small child in front of him. “What’s the matter?” Severus’ voice was getting louder as he talked. “There is no excuse for you being treated like that.”

“But I was a burden to them,” Harry said, wanting his da to understand. “They were a perfect family before I was left on their door step.”

Remus tried to break through the binding spell that was around him. There was so much he wanted to do. He wanted to hold the child. He wanted to kill his so-called relatives. He wanted to maul whoever was stupid enough to leave a child on the steps.

“Severus,” Remus called out, quietly.

Severus gave a small growl at his brother for interrupting him talking with his fledgling.

“Severus, please,” Remus pleaded.

Severus knew what Remus was asking, but he just couldn’t release his boy. His child needed him. Harry needed to know that he wasn’t in trouble. That he was loved.

“Severus, I won’t go anywhere,” Remus said. “The wolf needs his cub.”

Severus looked at his brother, slowly moving his arms away from Harry.

“Harry,” Severus said, quietly. “Go to your Uncle Remus.”

Harry looked sad.

“I won’t go anywhere,” Severus reassured. “I’ll be right here. But Remus is your family now. And he wants to see you.”

Still with his arms around Severus’ neck, Harry turned and looked at Remus. A small smile ghosted over Harry’s lips and he saw a calming look in the man sitting across from them. Looking back at his da, Harry nodded and tried to slide off Severus’ lap. Try being the operative word. When Harry tried to push himself back, he felt his da’s arms tighten around him. Harry gave a small giggle before turning back to his da, tightening his arms around his neck one more time, and kissing him on the cheek.

When Harry tried to move again, this time Severus let him go. Harry walked over and stood in front of Remus. Remus looked at his dad, pleading. Albus smirked, waving his hand allowing Remus to move his arms.

Remus felt his control come back. He quickly picked up Harry, wrapping the child in his arms the same way Harry was sitting with Severus. Remus put his head down into the child’s hair and took a deep breath. The child’s scent flooded in the werewolf’s nose. Remus wanted to feel everything about this child. Harry was now a part of his pack and he will defend this child just like he would his brother.

Remus lifted his head. “Harry, look at me.”

Harry looked up at Remus and saw something he didn’t see when they walked up the stairs together.

Harry tilted his head. He reached up and softly touched the scratches on the man’s face.

“I thought your eyes were brown,” Harry said, quietly.

Remus looked at Albus then to Severus. Severus nodded and Remus looked back at Harry.

“Usually they are brown,” Remus said. “But when Moony comes out, they turn amber.”

“Moony?” Harry asked. “Who’s Moony?”

This time it was Remus who was worried that Harry would reject him, like before when Harry thought Severus rejected Harry.

Taking a deep breath. “I’m not normal.”

“Okay,” Harry said slowly. “You look normal to me.”

Remus chuckled softly.

“I guess you have a bit of your grandfather in you,” Remus mused. “What I mean is I have an affliction.”

“What? Like me and da?” Harry asked.

“Yes and no,” Remus said.

“Oh, for Merlin’s sake,” Severus chided. “Just spit it out.”

Harry turned to his da and then back to Remus. He looked into his eyes and saw a kind soul in them. Harry knew that whatever Remus was going to tell him, it wouldn’t hurt him.

“Whatever you’re going to say,” Harry said. “It’s not like you’ll be a freak like me.”

Harry said that to ease the tension and calm him down, but it had the opposite reaction. Remus’ hold on him got tighter, and Harry could hear his da in his head.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” Harry said quickly. “I seem to always mess things up.”

Harry lowered his head and leaned forward. He felt strong arms wrapping around him. It was different from his da, but they made him feel safe as well.

“You didn’t mess anything up,” Remus said, rubbing circles on the small child’s back. “You have to understand something about your da and me; we don’t like that someone made you think you were a freak. You are not a freak. I know it will take you a while before you will believe us, but we will keep on telling you until you do believe it. What you hear are our true selves coming out.”

“True selves?” Harry asked, lifting his head.

“My true self is…I’m a werewolf,” Remus sighed. “You’re a vampire like your da. And I’m a werewolf.”

Harry looked at the man in front of him and then turned back to his da. Harry thought about what he just heard. He was a vampire. He never knew what he was. But thinking about it, it made sense. Deep down he thought he would be scared, but he wasn’t.

And a werewolf. He thought about all he ever heard of a werewolf, when he listened to the television when Aunt Petunia and Dudley would watch horror movies. The mark on their hands. That silver bullets could kill them. And they change into a large wolf on a full moon.

All the men looked at Harry. They could tell the child was in deep thought.

“What are you thinking about, fledgling?” Severus asked.

Harry twisted his body until he was sitting sideways on Remus’ lap with the man’s help. Harry grabbed Remus’ hands and looked at both, turning them over.

“What are you looking for?” Remus asked.

“The mark.” Harry said, looking at Remus’ other hand.

“Mark?” Remus asked. “What mark?”

“Well, werewolves are supposed to have marks of the werewolf on their hands,” Harry said, looking up at Remus.

Albus snickered, putting his hand over his mouth. Severus rolled his eyes. Remus looked puzzled.

“Did I miss something?” Remus asked.

“There is an old muggle movie that said werewolves have a mark on their hands,” Severus said, rolling his eyes. “Harry, do I look like a vampire?”

Harry looked up at his da and thought for a moment. Then answered, “Well, yeah. You have the long back cape and everything.” Severus raised an eyebrow.

Albus laughed out loud at that. “Is everyone feeling a little better?”

“Oh, stop laughing, old man,” Severus snarled. Everyone in the room knew that there wasn’t any heat behind Severus’ comment.

“Don’t be like that, little brother,” Remus said, trying to keep his own chuckle down. His arms wrapped around the small child on his lap and kissing the top of his head.

“Go to your da,” Remus whispered in Harry’s ear.

Harry smiled up at Remus when he was let go. Harry climbed down. When he turned to face his da he saw that Severus had his hands opened for Harry to be welcomed to him. Harry all but ran into Severus’ arms. Severus kissed the child’s temple as he pulled the child to his chest.

Once Albus sobered from his laughing fit, he looked at Severus.

“Harry’s tired,” Albus said. “Let him sleep.”

Severus could hear the command within the words. Because Harry was his fledgling Severus could calm Harry down and soothe his surroundings to make Harry sleep. After a quarter of an hour, Harry was sleeping peacefully in Severus’ arms.

Albus got up and fire-called Poppy. Poppy walked through the floo and walked to the two men sitting down.

“Albus has informed me that I’m to watch over Harry for you,” Poppy said.

“Yes, please,” Severus said. “He should stay asleep until we return.”

“I’ll take him,” Poppy reached down and retrieved Harry. Casting a feather-weight charm on the boy, she cradled the child in her arms. Harry’s head lolled in her arms. He did not stir.

Poppy walked out of Albus chambers.

___000___000___000___000

When Poppy disappeared from the chambers, Remus and Severus looked at each other, and they both stood at the same time, walking towards the door. There was only one thing on their mind: deal with those vile people. When they got to the door, Severus noticed that he couldn’t open it. They turned back to see that Albus was still sitting in his chair. His wand in his hand.

“I know you are ready to go,” Albus said. “And I am not stopping you. But I need you two to promise that you won’t kill them. They have to stay alive.”

“They hurt Harry,” Remus said.

“They must pay,” Severus said.

“And they will,” Albus said. “I meant it when I said we will go together. But I need your word that when we leave, they are still alive.”

Remus and Severus looked at each other. It was like they were having a silent conversation.

“I--,” Severus started.

“Don’t you dare lie to me,” Albus said. “I mean it.”

“Fine,” Remus sighed. “They stay alive.”

“Great,” Albus said, standing up. “Let’s go.”

___000___000___000___000

The three wizards were walking down Privet Drive. It was still quiet on the street like it was when Severus first walked down the way. Not to raise suspicion on them, they put a disillusion charm over themselves. Once they arrived at No. 4, the charm came off and Albus knocked on the door.

“Where’s the boy?” a male’s voice was heard on the other side of the door.

“He should be out back,” came a response. Severus recognized that voice. It was Lily’s sister.

Albus knocked again.

A large man opened the door. Remus looked at the man and saw he was the width of the door. The man seemed to not have a neck. His mustache was so long that it covered his mouth. His complexion was a dark red almost purple.

“What do you want?” Vernon snarled.

“A word,” Albus said, calmly.

Vernon looked at the three men standing on his stoop. Looking at their clothes, Vernon knew that they weren’t regular people. They were like the freak.

“What are you freaks doing at my door?” Vernon yelled.

Albus raised his arms holding his sons back so they wouldn’t attack the man. Vernon had the good sense to pale a little, seeing the looks of the two younger men’s faces.

“I think this conversation would be best said within closed doors,” Albus said. His voice didn’t sound stained since he was holding a werewolf and a vampire back. “Will you allow us in?”

“Who’s at the door, Vernon?” Petunia called out, walking closer to the door. When she saw the men, she knew exactly who they were. “You,” she snarled. “What are you doing here? Get out!”

Severus stopped trying to push past his father, lowering Albus’ arm. He walked up to Vernon and Petunia. “Move.” His voice was quiet, but powerful.

Vernon’s color paled some more. Petunia gulped and stepped back.

Severus walked in not looking to see if his brother and father would follow. Stepping into the main hallway, Severus saw the small door under the stairs. “I stay in the cupboard under the stairs.” Harry’s voice sounded in his head. Severus walked over to the door.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Vernon screeched, getting his voice back.

Severus didn’t pay any attention to them has he knelt and opened the door. Not only was the space smaller than his potion stores, in the far corner were Harry’s trunk and cage for his owl. Not seeing the owl made Severus wonder where the animal was.

Albus and Remus walked into the living room. Petunia and Vernon following them, complaining the entire way. Severus never moved as he took in the so-called room his fledgling was living in. He reached in, turning on the light bulb that hung from under the steps. The light wasn’t bright by any means, but it illuminated the small space enough so Severus could see. There was a small shelf in the corner where there were broken toys stacked neatly on it. There was a small pallet on the floor that was Harry’s make-shift bed. A small blue blanket was the only cover the child had. In the far-side wall, there were cleaning material; glass cleaner, furniture polish, duster rags, and a small broom with a dustbin.

Severus took a deep breath. His instincts were to go into that room and rip those vile people’s throats out and watch them bleed on the floor. But he promised his dad that he would not kill them. Severus took a deeper breath. He had to calm the rage down. He closed his eyes and occluded his mind of what he was looking at. Taking out his wand, he shrunk down Harry’s trunk and bird cage and put it in his pocket. He then gathered up the small toys and the blanket shrinking it and putting it in his other pocket. Standing up and closing the door, Severus took another breath and then turned towards the living room.

“Would you not offer your guest some tea?” Albus asked as he sat down in the chair.

“How dare you?” Petunia squealed. “You are not our guest. Why should I serve you? You bombarded your way into my house.”

“Such rudeness,” Albus said, waving his wand, making a tea service appear in the living room.

“I will not have that freakishness in my house,” Vernon roared.

“If you use that word again,” Remus said, quietly, speaking for the first time. “I will not be responsible for what I do.”

Vernon gulped.

“Remus,” Albus said. “We’ve talked about this.”

“They’re still alive,” Remus said.

“How long they stay that way is up to them,” Severus said, walking into the living room.

Severus walked over and stood next to his brother.

“Where is his owl?” Severus said.

Remus and Albus looked up at Severus and then back at the Dursleys.

“I have no idea where that ruddy bird is,” Vernon said with a snarl in his voice.

“The cage was in the cupboard,” Severus said. “Where is Harry’s owl?”

Petunia could hear the tension in Severus’ voice. Growing up, she never like the boy that followed Lily around. He was a weird boy. Secluded. Dirty looking. Someone that wasn’t worth their time. But when Petunia learned that they were magical, that was all everyone talked about. He was even invited to dinner a few times. She always hated Severus. She blamed him for taking her sister away from her.

“The freak let him go when he came back from that school,” Petunia said.

Remus stepped forward. “I thought I said, I don’t want to hear that word from you.”

“Remus,” Albus said in a warning tone.

Not listening, Remus walked over and grabbed Petunia by her collar and stood her up, picking her up until they were face to face. Her feet were a few inches from the floor. Albus stood up and rushed over to his son, putting his hand on Remus’ arm.

“Let her go,” Albus said.

“Unhand my wife,” Vernon yelled, pulling on Remus’ arm.

Remus wasn’t listening. “I will not say it again. I do not want to hear that word again. You made my cub believe that he was a freak. He is not a freak.”

Petunia’s color paled until she was bone white. She looked like she would faint right then.

“Put her down, Remus.”

“Let her go!”

Severus walked over to the group of people, stood behind his brother and whispered in his ear. “There is more she has to learn. Let her down, Moony.”

Severus’ voice broke through the rage Remus was feeling and he slowly lowered the woman down to the floor but did not let her go.

Albus saw that Moony calmed down some. He reached up and framed his son’s face, making Remus to look at him.

“Calm down, son,” Albus said. “I know you want them to pay, and they will. But we have to get more information out of them. Alright.”

“I understand,” Remus said, letting Petunia go. Looking back over at the woman, “Don’t say that word again. Because I will not let them stop me.”

Vernon wrapped his arm around his wife. He was keeping her standing.

Petunia didn’t believe that they would actually become physical. She though they were just trying to be intimidating. When she saw the man, Remus, walking towards her, she didn’t have time to react before she was picked up, and the only thing she could see was those amber eyes. In that split second, she believed that he was going to kill her. Now, she was scared.

“Now,” Severus said, calmly. “If I hear differently about the owl, I’ll be back. Do we understand each other?”

Petunia didn’t say anything. She just nodded.

“Splendid,” Albus said, clapping his hands. “Now, the next thing I would like to understand is the state of his clothes. Harry is a small child. Why does his clothes look like a small breeze could make them fall off his small frame?”

“The fr--,” Vernon started, but was stopped by Petunia elbowing him in his side. He looked over at her, and she shook her head. “The boy,” Vernon corrected. “Has taken enough money from my Dudley. He should be happy that he got clothes at all.”

Severus looked at the man standing across from him. He tilted his head wondering if this muggle had a death wish.

“You have a death wish,” Remus said.  

Severus smirked. It was amazing how they thought alike.

“Speaking of his small frame,” Severus said, losing the smirk. “Why does he look a meal away from being starved?”

“He will not take food out of my Dudley’s mouth.”

“You really do have a death wish,” Remus said.

The front door opened.

“Mum,” a voice came from the hallway. “I’m hungry. Did the freak make dinner?”

Petunia paled more, looking at the doorway of the living room.

There they saw a rotund boy that looked like a miniature of the male Dursley.

“Harry was taking food away from that,” Severus said, pointing at the boy.

Severus pulled out his wand. When Dudley saw the small stick in the man in black’s hand, he quickly put his hands behind him in an attempt to hide his enormous behind. Severus raised an eyebrow at the action.

“You know,” Severus said. “If I keep hearing these answers that you give, I’m just want to kill you. I can’t keep my dark half at bay anymore. So,” Severus waved his wand in the air, “Everything you’ve done to Harry will be done to you. You’ve had the child for twelve years. I’m feeling generous so I’ll only have you suffer twice as long as you had my child. I don’t want to think about you anymore. Harry’s life will be a positive experience from now on.”

Severus twisted around and apparated out of the house.

Remus looked at the shock people and pulled out his wand. “You said that Harry was taking food away from your son. Well, from now on, you will not be able to eat any more than what you fed my cub. You will still be hungry, but you won’t be able to eat.”

Just like Severus, Remus disappeared.

Albus stood back up. “You know, Petunia, if you didn’t want Harry all you had to do was let me know. You knew how to contact me. I would have found somewhere else to take him and you wouldn’t have to worry about taking anything from you precious son. Now, because of what you allowed, you have cursed your family. I hope you’re proud of yourself.”

Albus waved his hands taking away the blood wards that surrounded the house. “Good day.”

Albus disappeared.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 9 by mandancie

Severus appeared at the gates to Hogwarts. He was still angry. The look of the cupboard was still in his mind. Never did he think that someone would be that cruel as to make a child stay in those conditions. In the beginning, he may have not cared for Potter’s attitude and blatant lack of respect for the rules, but he couldn’t in good conscious treat him the way his so-called relatives did.

Seconds later, another pop sounded, and Severus felt a hand on his shoulder. The grip of the hand let Severus know that his brother was also still angry.

“I’m going to take a walk,” Remus said, quietly.

___000___000___000

Severus walked into the castle and made his way to the Infirmary. When he walked in, he saw Harry was still asleep on one of the beds.

“He’s okay?” Severus asked.

“He’s fine,” Poppy said, walking up to Severus. “Take him. He’ll be happy your back.”

“Did he wake at any time?” Severus asked walking over to Harry.

“Didn’t stir once,” Poppy said, walking back into her office.

Severus sat on the edge of the bed and looked down at his fledgling. So much had happened to this child but now there’s this one more thing. Severus swore that Harry would never, ever need for anything. Whatever he needed; Severus would try his best to provide.

Severus leaned down, cradling his hand under Harry’s head and putting his hands under the child’s knees, he picked the child up. Harry instantly woke up, stirring, wanting to wrap his arms around his da’s neck. Harry wanted to feel his da’s heartbeat.

Once he was in that position he wanted, Harry snuggled into Severus and went back to sleep. Severus walked out of the Infirmary and went to his chambers. By the time they got to the entrance of his chambers, Harry started squirm in his da’s arms.

“Calm down, fledgling,” Severus soothe as he opened the portrait.

Harry’s arms stretched out behind Severus. His head nuzzling on the side of his da’s neck.

“I’m hungry,” Harry moaned, turning his head so he was laying on Severus’ shoulder.

“You are,” Severus said, sitting down on his arm chair, situating Harry so that he was sitting sideways on Severus’ lap. Severus wrapped his arms around Harry’s shoulders. “What do you want to eat?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. Whatever you have.”

“You want something light and have dinner with Uncle Remus and Grandpa Albus?” Severus asked, tilting his head so that he and Harry could look at each other.

“A snack will do,” Harry said. “I want to have dinner with everyone. It will be my first dinner with a real family.”

Severus kissed the top of Harry’s head. “That sounds wonderful.”

Severus lifted Harry off his lap and went to the fireplace and sent an order to the kitchen. Seconds later a small tray of tea and biscuits was sitting on the small table in front of the sofa. Harry sat on the sofa and started making his tea.

 “Where we going?” Harry asked, taking a bite of his biscuit.

“You’ll see when you finish,” Severus said, making himself a cup.

Harry stuffed the biscuit in his mouth.

“Where we’re going isn’t going away,” Severus chided softly. “Slow down. I don’t want you to choke.”

Harry looked up at Severus and gave him a sheepish smile but finished his snack.

“Finished?” Severus asked. Harry nodded. “Go get cleaned up. We’re leaving the castle.”

“Okay,” Harry said. He got up and looked around.

Severus looked at the child. He wanted to see if it would work. Harry looked around. He started walking around the chambers just wandering. He was looking at everything.

Harry started feeling upset. His da told him to get cleaned up and he didn’t want to be a burden and bug his da.

Severus purposely didn’t tell Harry where the bathroom was. He wanted to see if he could telepathically let Harry know where it was. He didn’t stop the child, nor did he rush him.

 Severus felt his fledgling’s feelings and didn’t like what Harry was feeling. Severus started sending a wave of calm to his fledgling, then he sent Harry the direction to the bathroom.

Harry felt a calm wash over him. Harry walked down the hall and went to the second door on the left. When he opened the door, he was in the bathroom. He walked in and closed the door.

Severus closed his eyes. When he opened them, he smirked. It worked. He could telepathically communicate with his fledgling. There was still more he would have to work on with Harry, but it was a great first try.

A few moments later, Harry walked back into the main room. The child looked confused. Severus saw Harry was in deep thought.

“You okay, Harry?” Severus asked.

Harry looked over at his da and smiled. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” Severus asked, standing up and walking over to the child.

Harry looked up at his da. They were going out and the excitement started to come back.

Severus stood up and walked over to Harry and put his hands on the child’s shoulders before he bounced his way up to the ceiling.

“Alright,” Severus said. “Let’s go find your Uncle Remus and see if he wants to go with us.” Turning Harry around by his shoulders and walking with him to the door.

“Where are we going?” Harry asked again.

“We’re going shopping,” Severus said, walking out of his chambers with Harry in tow.

____0000____0000____0000

Remus walked around the entire front of the castle. From the lake to the Forbidden Forest, and he still could not calm down Moony.

They got off too easy, Remus thought. There was so much more that should have happened to those vile creatures. They weren’t human. Far from it. No human in their right mind would torture and abuse a child, a sweet child, like Harry.

Remus was on his way back to the castle entrance, when he saw Severus and Harry. Harry saw Remus and took off in a run. When he got close enough, Remus went down on one knee and caught Harry, wrapping his arms around the small child.

Remus stood up with ease, as he walked over to Severus. This was what he needed. He needed to be with his cub. Feeling the joy roll off this child, made everything seem right.

“So how are you doing?” Remus asked Harry as he propped Harry and swung him until he was on Remus’ hip.

“Da said we’re going shopping,” Harry said. “You want to come too?”

“I wouldn’t miss it,” Remus said.

“Have you seen Albus?” Severus asked.

Remus shook his head. “I haven’t seen Albus since we left the Dursleys.”

Harry’s brow furrowed. “You went to see my relatives?”

“Yes,” Severus said, dryly. “We’ll talk about that later. Let’s go. We’re going to the Leaky Cauldron.”

Severus only said that so that Remus knew where they were apparating.

“Little cub,” Remus said to Harry. “I want you to hold on tight. The first time is always a little rough.”

Harry looked skeptical. “What are we doing?” Harry looked over at his da and saw him disappear. Harry’s eyes got big. In that second, fear and sorrow filled Harry’s heart.

Remus must have sensed it because he started rubbing Harry’s back and whispering soothing words to him.

“Don’t fret, little cub, we’ll see your da in a second.”

Right after he finished talking that he and Harry disappeared.

Harry wasn’t prepared for the sensation of apparating. He felt a little queasy. He didn’t realize he had his head buried in Remus’ neck until he heard his da tell him to raise his head.

Slowly Harry looked up and saw his da standing behind Remus. Before Harry could say anything, a small phial was pressed at Harry’s lips. The potion was sweet and easy to go down. The queasy feeling disappeared, and he felt like normal.

“Better?” Severus asked.

Harry nodded.

“Well, let’s go get you some clothing,” Remus said, walking to Diagon Alley.

___000___000___000___000

After getting Harry an entire wardrobe, his third-year books, and a few odds and ends for Hedwig, they headed back to the castle.

Harry was better prepared to handle the apparation, so he didn’t get as queasy. And this time, Severus was holding Harry. Once they were standing at the gates, Severus lowered Harry so he could walk. And the three of them headed towards the castle.

Severus had all their purchases sent directly to his chambers so they wouldn’t have to worry about carrying everything.

“Do you think the Headmaster is back?” Harry asked.

“We can check his chambers when we get inside,” Severus said.

___000___000___000___000

Albus decided to walk back to the castle, so that he could think about everything that happened. In the beginning, he was disappointed that Severus didn’t take proper care of himself, going out without taking his potion. Or waiting too long to take it; either way it was irresponsible. But after learning everything that Harry’s gone through while he lived on Privet Drive, Albus’ thinking changed to maybe this wasn’t such a bad think after all.

If Harry stayed in the vile house for the rest of his life, how would Harry turn out? Would he turn bitter like Severus used to be before he adopted the Potions Master? Would he go into himself and fear everyone around him, hoping that he wouldn’t contaminate the people he loved like Remus?

Albus thought he learned his lesson with Remus’ and Severus’ abusive homelife, but looking at Harry, maybe he didn’t. For the first two years of Harry’s presence within the castle, Albus assumed that Harry was healthy and happy. Every time he looked at the child, he seemed to be happy: smiling with his friends. Not to mention having to uncanny ability to get into mischief like his father, James. Maybe Albus wasn’t looking close enough.

An alarm brought Albus out of his musings, letting him know that people were heading to the entrance to his chambers. Usually when someone wanted entrance, he would hear the password as it was said to the statue that blocked the passage. But when it came to Severus and Remus and now Harry, they didn’t need the password to get in. They knew there was a spot on the back of the statue that they could touch, and the doorway would automatically open.

It was the latter that let Albus know that his boys were coming up. Seconds later, his door was opened with such exuberance that it almost hit the adjoining wall. Harry’s face lit up. He was grinning so big it looked like his cheeks would hurt for a long while.

The first thing Albus noticed was that Harry was wearing new clothes that fit him.

“Well,” Albus said. “I take it you went shopping.”

Harry bounded forward and landed on Albus, leaning against the man. He wrapped his arms around the Headmaster’s middle.

“Yeah,” Harry said, looking up at Albus. “I got to try on all these clothes. And we got everything for next year, so I don’t have to worry about it later.”

Albus pushed Harry to arm’s length and wrapped an arm around his shoulder as he escorted him towards the chair. The entire time Harry wasn’t discouraged that Albus stepped away from the embrace or that he was walking towards the chair. Harry kept talking about the outing.

“Harry,” Albus interrupted, trying not to laugh. “Breathe child. I fear you may collapse if you keep this going.”

Harry wasn’t deterred; he just laughed a little and fell against Albus, wrapping his arms around his neck.

When Albus looked up, he saw that Remus and Severus were sitting on the sofa. Severus shaking his head, and Remus softly chuckling.

“So,” Albus said, pushing Harry back to standing. “You had a good time?”

Harry nodded. It really was a great afternoon. He saw so much more in Diagon Alley than he did the past two years.

“Oh,” Harry said. His face becoming serious. “Can we have something to eat. I’m hungry.”

Remus laughed out loud.

“Of course,” Albus said. “I’ll call down to the kitchen and have them send some food up.”

“We can have it down in the dungeons,” Severus said, standing up. “Harry, we need to put your things up and fix up your room.” Severus held out his hand.

Harry nodded, and walked towards the door. “See you later,” Harry said. And the two walked out of Albus’ chambers.

___000___000___000

Dinner was finished. Remus, Albus and Severus were still sitting around the dinner table. Harry was curled up on Severus’ lap. His head laying on Severus’ shoulder.

Harry was so excited about having dinner with his da, Uncle Remus and Grandpa. Even though he’d eaten with them (well, not Remus) in the Great Hall during school, this was different. It was more intimate. Harry sat and ate, listening to his new family. When the dishes were taken away, the events of the day started to wear down on Harry. He started leaning against his da. While the wizards were talking, Severus reached down and picked Harry up. He laid his fledgling to his chest with his head tucked under his chin.

“Why don’t you put him down?” Remus said.

Severus looked down at Harry then his brother, shaking his head.

“So how it this school year going to go?” Severus asked Albus. “Now that I have my fledgling, he can’t be away from me long.”

“I was thinking about that,” Albus said. “He still needs to be among his friends. Continue building friendship with his house. He will have a bed here, but if he wants to stay with his friends, I think he should have that choice.”

“I wouldn’t deny him his friends,” Severus said. “But I will have to talk with Minerva. Though I don’t think that will be a fun conversation.”

“What about me?” Remus asked.

“You’ll be closer to the Gryffindors,” Albus said. “Your chambers will be on the same floor as Minerva’s.”

Remus nodded.

“I’ll have a supply of Wolfsbane ready for you,” Severus said. “The last thing we need is you making my mistake.”

“Harry’s not a mistake,” Remus said.

Severus tightened his hold on his fledgling. “No,” he said quietly. “I am happy that I have someone, yes. But he’s still cursed.”

“You’re not a curse, Severus,” Albus said.

“So you keep telling me,” Severus said. “I had you and Remus. But how will Harry’s friends take this?”

“It’ll be fine,” Remus said. “Let’s just take this one day at a time.” Remus stood up, stretching his arms over his head. “It’s been a long day. I want to go to bed.”

“Until we get your things here,” Albus said. “You’ll stay up in your old room in my chambers.” Albus stood as well. “Good night, Severus.”

Albus walked to the door. Remus walked over to his brother, caressed Harry’s hair and then put his hand on Severus’ shoulder giving it a mild squeeze.

Once Severus was alone, he looked down at the top of Harry’s head. “What have I cursed you with, fledgling? I’m so sorry.”

___000___000___000

Remus and Albus walked into Albus’ chambers.

“If you’ll excuse me, dad, I’m going to bed,” Remus said. “After a day like this, I need some sleep. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, son,” Albus said.

Albus watched Remus go to one of the bedrooms and close the door. Albus was tired as well, but he had too much on his mind to sleep. He sat at his desk and laid his head on the backrest. Albus tried to calm his mind. He wasn’t the drinking type and even though it sounded like a good idea, he didn’t want to start now.

The fireplace roared. Albus turned to see who was coming in.

“Sorry for the lateness, Albus, but it was the only time I could come back.”

Albus smiled at his guest, standing up to greet his visitor.

“Minerva, you know my fireplace is open for you anytime,” Albus said, walking over to her and kissed her cheek. “So, how was your trip?”

“Later,” Minerva said. “There was so much drama. I am happy to be back. So, what has been going on here while I was gone?”

“More drama,” Albus said.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 10 by mandancie

The next morning came fast for Severus. So much happened the day before, but he was happy that it ended on a positive note.

Severus got up and walked to the spare bedroom where his fledging was sleeping. Opening the door, he could see Harry curled up in a ball in the middle of the bed. Severus didn’t want to disturb the child, but instincts was making him come closer.

Harry was curled up against the pillow. Severus moved a few strains of the child’s hair from his face. Harry squirmed a little but didn’t wake. A knock on the door brought Severus out of his musing and watching his child.

Whoever was on the other side of the door was persistently knocking. Severus waved his hand causing the door to open. Minerva stormed into Severus’ chamber and walked straight towards the Potions Master.

“How could you?” Minerva ranted.

“Good morning to you too, Minerva,” Severus said, rubbing his hand over his face, trying to stifle a yawn.

“How could you turn a child?” Minerva roared. “That was very irresponsible. And then to turn Harry Potter. A child who you’ve hated for two years. How could you condemn that poor child?”

Severus said nothing. He just stood there listening to Minerva rant at him.

Simultaneously two things happened: Harry came out of his room and the fireplace roared with Remus emerging from the flames. Harry didn’t move from the entrance to the living room, but Remus walked over to the two professors and stood in front of his brother.

“What are you doing here, Minerva?” Remus roared.

“Remus,” Minerva said, taken aback. Her tone returning to normal. “I didn’t know you where here.”

“Yes,” Remus said. “Father wants me to teach the Defense classes this coming term. I’ll ask again, why you are here, yelling at my brother?”

“He turned Harry Potter,” Minerva said. “A boy that he hated for two years. I’ve had to listen to him talk down to, blame any wrongdoing on him, and called the boy a spoiled brat.”

Harry stood in the doorway, tears blurring his eyes. He was hurt at what he was hearing but deep down he was getting angry. How could his Head of House talk about his da like that?

There was a low growl that caught everyone’s attention. Severus turned just in time of seeing his fledgling charge the Transfiguration Professor. Severus caught Harry around his waist and turned him away. Minerva stepped back.

“Calm down, fledgling,” Severus soothed.

Harry continued to growl. Severus knew what he was going to have to do to calm the boy. He moved opened his robe over his shoulder, moving his hair out of the way.

“Drink fledgling,” Severus said, bringing Harry’s head towards the crook of his neck. “Drink.”

Harry bit down on Severus’ neck. When the first savored liquid entered Harry’s mouth, he began to calm down. A calm washed over the child. Severus stepped out of the living room and went to his room, closing the door.

Remus turned to his former Professor. “I think you need to leave. You’ve done enough trouble. Severus knows what he did and now he is trying to rectify it. And he doesn’t need you bringing all that back up, throwing it back in his face.”

Minerva huffed and turned walked out of the door. Remus sighed and walked down the small hallway towards Severus’ room.

Giving a small knock, Remus let himself in. Severus was sitting on the bed with Harry in his arms. The child was no longer feeding.

“Is she still in there?” Severus asked.

“No, she’s gone.” Remus said, leaning against the door. “I’m sorry, little brother.”

Severus shrugged. “It’s not like she’s wrong. She was right about everything. I was mean to Harry the last two years.”

“Yeah,” Remus said. “Maybe. But that isn’t now. Now, today, is what you need to worry about.”

“Yeah,” Severus said, looking down at the boy in his lap.

“Do you need to feed?” Remus asked, walking over to Severus, standing in front of him.

“No,” Severus said. “I’m fine.”

“Don’t let this make you think that you’re not supposed to take care of yourself,” Remus said.

“I’m fine,” Severus said, absently rubbing Harry’s back.

“I’m sure you are,” Remus said. “But I know how you get when you feel like you deserve reprimand.”

“Thank you, Remy,” Severus said. “I’ll take care of myself. If I need you, I’ll come.” Severus leaned his head on Harry’s head. “I have a reason to take care of myself.”

“Well, I’m going to let you get ready,” Remus said, “We’ll meet in the Great Hall for breakfast.”

“Yeah,” Severus said. “I’ll see you there.”

Remus turned to leave.

“Hey, Remy,” Severus said. Remus turned back to his brother. “Thanks.”

Remus smirked and walked out of the room. He headed for the fireplace and floo’ed back to the Headmaster’s chambers.

___000___000___000

Remus stepped out of the fireplace and saw Albus sitting behind his desk doing some paperwork. He didn’t look up when he heard the floo flared.

“Good morning, Remus,” Albus said. “Where have you been?”

“Severus’,” Remus said. “You need to control your Professors.”

Albus stopped what he was doing and looked up at his son.

“I beg your pardon?” Albus said, looking over his half moon glasses.

“Minerva was yelling at Severus. She upset Harry, and Severus just took her yelling at him.”

“Did Severus feed?” Albus said, leaning back in his chair.

Remus shook his head. “He said he’s fine.”

It had been a long time since Severus fed off Remus. What a lot of people didn’t know was that because Remus was a werewolf, he was protected from changing into a vampire if Severus bit him. When they were growing up, in order to control Severus urges to drink, he would feed off Remus.

“We’ll leave him alone,” Albus said. “But keep your eye on him.”

Remus nodded. “I will.”

“What did Minerva do?” Albus asked, escorting Remus to the sofa in the living room.

“She fussed about Severus turning Harry,” Remus sighed. “It triggered Harry into protective rage. I could see the hurt on the boy’s face, but he almost attacked Minerva.”

“I can’t believe she would do that,” Albus said, shaking his head. “I’ll talk with her later.”

“You do that,” Remus said, getting up. “I’m going back to bed. I’m still tired. And it took a lot keeping Moony at bay.”

“Go lay down,” Albus said. “I’ll have the elves bring your breakfast to your room.”

“Thanks, dad,” Remus said as he walked back to his room.

“Oh,” Remus said, turning back around to face Albus. “Let Severus know I’m in my room. I told him that I would see him in the Great Hall.”

“I will. Go on,” Albus said.

___000___000___000

Severus sat on his bed holding Harry. After the child fed, Harry fell back to sleep. Severus looked down at his fledgling.

This was a huge mistake, Severus thought. Minerva was right. How could I be so careless that I turned a child? It didn’t matter that it was Harry Potter, though when something happened, the boy seemed to be at the heart of it. But he was so reckless as to not take care of himself before checking on the boy. Now, Harry’s life would be forever changed. What horrors would he face? Would his friends even accept him? Even though, in the beginning, he didn’t care for Harry, and always thought that Harry got away with everything, he still had his friends stand by him. Would they see him as they had before, or would they only see the monster he’d turned into?

Harry began to squirm on Severus’ lap, bringing Severus out of his musing.

“Good morning,” Severus said, looking down at Harry.

“Hey, da,” Harry said smiling.

Harry stretched his arms out almost hitting Severus in the face. Severus gripped his wrist mere inches before being hit.

“Sorry,” Harry said, sheepishly. “What are we doing today?”

“I need to work on restocking the Infirmary,” Severus said, lifting Harry off his lap.

“Oh,” Harry said, his brow furrowing. “What am I going to do?”

“What do you want to do?” Severus asked, walking to his closet. He pulled out an older coat and pants. “I know Hagrid is at his cottage. You could go flying. Your broom is in the hall cupboard. You could spend some time with your Uncle Remus or Grandpa Albus.”

“Okay,” Harry said. “Will you be brewing all day?”

Severus smirked at the child. “No, I won’t brew all day. But I would like to get as much as I can done. Once I’m finished with all, we can spend all the time together.”

Harry walked out of Severus’ room heading towards his room when he turned around at the door.

“Da,” Harry called back. “Can I help you brew your potions?”

“Of course,” Severus said, walking over to Harry and kneeling in front of him. “I didn’t think that you wanted to be cooped up in the laboratory all day. But you are more than welcome to be with me. Though some of the potions are a little too advance, you can help preparing the ingredients.”

Harry face just lit up. Harry lounged forward and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.

“Thanks, da,” Harry said.

Once he let Severus go, he ran into his room to get dressed. Severus stood up and closed his door.

After a few moments, Harry and Severus walked out of Severus chambers. Their destination was the Great Hall for breakfast.

___000___000___000

After Remus went back to bed, Albus abandoned his paperwork and left his chambers. He opted to take a walk. He figured the best place to walk was towards his Deputy Headmistress chambers.

Albus knocked on Minerva’s door. After a couple of seconds, Minerva opened the door. She didn’t seem surprised to see him. She opened the door further allowing Albus entrance into her chambers.

“Minerva,” Albus said.

“Albus, I know why you’re here,” Minerva said, closing the door. “I can’t explain what happened.”

“Minerva.”

“I didn’t mean to go down there and attack Severus. I knew it was the wrong thing when I saw the look on Harry’s and Remus’ face.”

“Minerva.”

“My temper just got away from me,” Minerva continued.

“Minerva,” Albus said louder, holding up his hand to quiet the witch down. “I understand where your heart was. I also disagreed with how Severus handled himself knowing he wasn’t feeling well. But what I can’t abide, is you bashing my son.”

“I’m sorry, Albus,” Minerva said.

“I’m sure you are,” Albus said. “But you know how Severus is. Now that he has a fledgling to look out for, he doesn’t need any thing that will have him go into a depression. I’ve gone through that once, and I wish to never go through that again.”

“I will make this right with Severus,” Minerva pledged.

“Wonderful,” Albus said, walking to the door. He left without another word.

___000___000___000

Breakfast was a quiet affair. Everyone kept to their own. There were a few whispered conversations. Since it was the summer, there were only a few of the Professors that were present. Professors Burbage, Sprout, Flitwick, Vector, and McGonagall along with Madam Hooch, Pomphrey, and Hagrid.

Harry left with Hagrid after breakfast. Severus excused himself and walked out of the Great Hall. He decided to go to the Infirmary to make the list of potions he would need to brew.

“How you feeling, Harry?” Hagrid asked.

“I’m okay,” Harry said. “Is Fang in the back?”

“Yeah,” Hagrid said. “You know that mutt likes to stay back there.”

Hagrid walked into his cottage while Harry walked around the back to see Fang. When he got close enough, Fang looked over at Harry and stared growling.

“Hey, Fang,” Harry said. “It’s me. How you doing boy?”

Fang growled louder.

Hagrid was getting his supplies together so that he could get to work on removing the slugs that were in the pumpkin and squash patches. He heard a loud growl, then Harry screaming. Hagrid rushed out of his house and went towards the back.

What he saw surprised him. Harry was standing by the wall of the cottage, cradling his hand against his chest. Fang was laying on his side.

“Harry,” Hagrid yelled, rushing to the boy’s side. “Are you alright? What happened?”

Harry looked up at Hagrid. There was blood streaming down his chin. Tears were pooling the boy’s eyes. Harry misread the look on Hagrid’s face and ran away towards the forest.

“Harry,” Hagrid called out. “Harry, come back.”

Hagrid went to his dog and saw that the dog was just stunned. There was blood on the dog. Fang was bleeding from his forearm. Hagrid saw that it wasn’t a bad bite but wrapped the dog’s arm with a cloth that was near Fang. The half giant turned and looked at the castle but decided to run after Harry. When Harry looked at Hagrid, there was fear in the child’s eyes.

___000___000___000

Severus walked into the Infirmary and went to the potions’ cupboard. He started making a mental list of what he would need to brew first. His head started hurting. It wasn’t bad, barely a slow nagging ache. Severus dismissed it and continued at his task.

Poppy walked in the Infirmary.

“Starting without me,” Poppy said, walking towards Severus.

“Just wanting to get a start on some of the most needed potions,” Severus said.

Poppy didn’t like how Severus was sounding. She walked over to him and put her hand in the crook of his elbow and turned him around.

“What are you doing?” Severus growled.

“Look at me,” Poppy ordered.

Severus squinted at her. The light in the Infirmary was getting to him.

“Go lay down,” Poppy ordered.

“I’m fine,” Severus said, pulling his arm out of the matron’s grasp.

Poppy sent a Patronus to Albus.

“Severus,” Poppy said. “You are not feeling well.”

“I’m fine,” Severus growled. “I want to get this done.”

“It can wait,” Poppy said soothingly, trying to calm Severus down.

“I have to start now,” Severus insisted.

“No, Severus,” Poppy said, grabbing Severus’ arm, pulling him once again out of the cupboard. “I want you to lie down for a moment.”

“And I said, I’m fine.”

“Severus.”

Severus closed his eyes, recognizing the new voice in the room, and lowered his head.

“I’m fine, dad,” Severus said.

“Then come to me,” Albus said.

Severus turned and looked at his dad. Albus was standing at the other end of the Infirmary. The small nagging ache in his head began to multiply. Albus could see the pain Severus was trying to hide.

“Come to me, Severus,” Albus said again.

Severus walked towards Albus. It seemed like each step was excruciating. How did his headache multiply this fast? Severus could usually hold out a lot longer than it.

Albus kept his eyes on Severus. He wanted to make sure that Severus didn’t get distracted before Albus could help him.

“Albus,” Poppy said, “I have one of his potions right here.”

“That won’t work now, Poppy,” Albus said, softly. “Remus is in my chambers in his room. Go get him.”

Without another word, Poppy floo’ed to the Headmaster’s chambers.

Albus kept coaxing Severus to come near him. He knew if Severus was walking this slow, he was in a great deal of pain.

Seconds later, Poppy came back into the Infirmary with Remus on her tail. Remus looked at his brother and rushed over and stood in front of Severus.

Remus cupped Severus face so that they were looking in each other’s eyes.

“You always have to make things difficult,” Remus said, smirking. He pulled Severus close to him.

“Go ahead,” Remus whispered as if giving Severus permission.

Severus bit down and Remus wrapped his arms around Severus’ shoulders.

“All you had to do was feed when I asked you,” Remus whispered in Severus’ ear.

Albus walked over to Poppy.

“Let’s leave them be,” Albus said. “Remus will take care of his brother.”

Poppy turned back to the storage cupboard and continued the list of potions she would need Severus to brew.

Albus left the Infirmary.

___000___000___000

Hagrid didn’t have to walk far when he heard something coming towards him.

“Hagrid, my friend.”

“Firenze,” Hagrid said. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, thank you,” Firenze replied. “I believe I found someone of yours. I thought it rather peculiar that a student would be here during the summer holidays.”

“Where is he?” Hagrid asked, walking towards the centaur.

“Here,” Firenze said, turning around. “It took a moment to calm him down. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to calm a child who feared himself.”

“Thank you, Firenze,” Hagrid said.

Hagrid noticed that Harry was laying on Firenze’s back. He carefully picked the child up.

“I’m sorry, Hagrid,” Harry said when he felt Hagrid’s hands on him.

“Do take care,” Firenze said as he walked away.

“It’s alright,” Hagrid said.

“I didn’t mean to hurt Fang,” Harry rushed out. “Fang was my friend.”

“Fang is fine,” Hagrid said. “He will be your friend again. He just has to get use to you again. Are you hurt?”

“No,” Harry said. “I’m fine. Are you sure Fang is alright?”

“Fang has had worse,” Hagrid said, laughing a little. “He’ll be just fine.”

Hagrid and Harry walked out of the forest and headed towards the castle.

___000___000___000

Severus stopped drinking and laid his head on Remus’ shoulder. He hated feeling like this. It was like he didn’t have control of his dark side.

Remus could feel Severus pressing his head on his shoulder. Now that Poppy left them alone in the Infirmary he could candidly talk to his brother.

The werewolf shook his head because he knew that Severus was blaming himself about Harry. He hated that Minerva yelled at him like that. Yes, Severus knew what he did was wrong, but to keep pushing it in his face was going to make him snap. It was just a good thing that Remus was here. His potion to curb the beast inside him would not have worked.

“You feeling better?” Remus whispered in Severus’ ear.

Severus shook his head but stepped back from Remus’ grasp.

“You can’t let what Minerva said to you upset you,” Remus said.

“And why not?” Severus said, turning around. “It’s the truth.”

“What do you want me to say?” Remus asked. “That it’s your fault. You already know that. That you need to take responsibility for your action. You’re doing that. That you should love your fledging. That couldn’t be helped. When Harry was with me on the steps, I knew that you loved him. There is no doubt about that. There’s no way to take back what happened, but you can make the best of it from now on.”

Severus sighed. He knew his brother was right, but it still bothered him about how the school, or his friends were going to take what happened to Harry.

“Here,” Remus said, thrusting a parchment in Severus’ direction. “Poppy left this for you. It’s the list of potions she’ll need before the start of term.”

Severus nodded and took the list. Remus watched his brother walk out of the Infirmary. He shook his head as he went to the fireplace and floo’ed back to the Headmaster’s chambers.

___000___000___000

Hagrid left Harry at the front of the school. Hagrid told Harry that Fang would be fine, but it still troubled him that Fang attacked him. Harry looked up at the school and saw a few owls flying around. When Harry walked in, he headed towards the owlery. He hoped that Hedwig wouldn’t treat him like Fang did.

Once Harry reached the owlery, he slowly walked in. He figured if the owls were going to attack it would be better if went in slowly. In case they attacked, Harry could duck out quickly. When he walked in, there was no attack. The owls were acting the same as if it were nothing. Harry walked over to the ledge and looked out. The air was always comfortable there. It wasn’t cold even being at the top of the school.

Harry whistled. After a long moment, Hedwig flew towards the castle. Harry held out his arm and she landed on his outstretched arm. When he brought her close to him, Hedwig went to his shoulder and nipped softly on his ear. Harry smiled as his pet, his friend, his pet, his owl. Hedwig still loved him.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 11 by mandancie

Harry never thought about how different he was. He thought it was weird that he would drink from his da and be fine with it. He never really thought about it. Fang was his friend. When he had a rough day, everybody thought he was seeing Hagrid, well, yes, he was, but his main interest was Fang. Petting Fang and roughhousing with him made whatever he was going through not a big deal.

Now, Fang didn’t like him. Hagrid said that he would, but when would that be?

Hedwig hooted, bringing Harry out of his musing. Harry forgot he was with Hedwig. He smiled at his owl.

“You still like me, don’t you, girl?” Harry said, rubbing her soft feathers. “You want to go flying?”

Harry raised his arm. He was surprised that she didn’t leave. Hedwig walked up his arm and stood on his shoulder. She nipped softly on his ear.

“You want to stay with me?” Harry asked his owl.

She nipped his ear again. Harry smiled and walked out of the owlery. After everything that happened, Harry wanted to spend some time with his da. He said that he could help prepare ingredients with him.

___000___000___000

Minerva didn’t regret what she said. She believed that Severus was wrong for what he did. After talking with Albus and seeing Remus’ reaction to what happened made her think that maybe she should have taken a different path on stating her disapproval.

Walking out of her chambers, Minerva heard a soft noise at the end of the corridor. When she got to the end, she saw Harry coming down the stairs with his owl on his shoulder.

“Harry,” Minerva called out.

“Hello, Professor,” Harry said.

“Can I talk with you?” Minerva asked.

Harry didn’t want to talk to her. He still remembered how she talked badly to his da. But he didn’t want to be rude, so he walked over to her.

“Yes, Professor.” Harry stood in front of his Head of House.

“I wanted to know how you are feeling?” Minerva said, softly.

“I’m fine,” Harry said. “I’m going to be with my da.”

Minerva grimaced with that statement. The poor child is doomed being a monster.

“I am so sorry that you have to go through this,” Minerva said, wrapping her arms around Harry’s shoulders.

Hedwig flew off Harry’s shoulder when Minerva got close to the boy. They started slowly walking down the corridor

“To know that you will be singled out because of your ailment,” Minerva said, sympathetically.   

“You mean more singled out than by being the only person that survived the killing curse,” Harry said, dryly. “Or being accused of being the Heir of Slytherin because I can talk to snakes.”

“You are loved by your peers and professors, Harry,” Minerva soothed. “It is just now things will change.”

“Why would it change?” Harry asked.

“You’re a monster,” Minerva said. “You won’t be able to spend time with your friends anymore.”

“I’m not a monster!” Harry said, angrily, stepping away from Minerva. “Why can’t I stay with my friends?”

He wouldn’t be able to see Ron and Hermione anymore. He wouldn’t be able to have fun with everyone in his dorm room. Neville, Seamus, and Dean had a mini tournament that they started first year. They were going to continue it when the term started. Ron promised he would bring some fun candies that they could have.

“Being a monster, you can’t stay with the other children,” Minerva said. “You might attack them.”

“I’m not a monster!” Harry yelled.

Harry could feel anger flowing in him. He could feel his canines growing. A low growl coming from his throat. What Harry didn’t know was his eyes were changing. The emerald orbs changed to blood red.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Minerva said, somberly. She didn’t notice the changes in her student. “And you can’t stay with them. You will hurt them.”

“I would never hurt them,” Harry yelled, stepping away from his Head of House. Tears burning his throat.

“And Severus would never turn a child, but look what happened,” Minerva said in mock concern.

“This is the second time I had to stop you.”

Minerva and Harry turned and saw Remus standing at the end of the corridor. Remus looked at his cub’s eyes and knew Harry was on the verge of breaking.

“Come here, cub,” Remus said, soothingly.

Remus called Harry to him like he had to do for Severus when they were younger. Any threatening movements could make Harry attack.

“Harry,” Remus called again. “Cub, come here.” He knelt down on one knee.

Harry didn’t know what he was feeling. He was hurt. When he looked down the corridor, he saw Remus. Hedwig flew over to Remus. Harry ran to his uncle. When Harry got to the werewolf, Remus picked Harry up, holding him to his chest.

“I stopped you this morning,” Remus said. “Harry almost attacked you because you were harsh with Severus. Why are you not taking the hint?”

“Harry needs to know what he is,” Minerva said.

There was a low growl from the stairwell. Remus and Minerva turned to see Severus standing at the end of the corridor. Like Harry, Severus’ eyes were blood red slits. The vampire was out.

“What gives you the right to talk to him like this?”

Remus rushed over to his brother before he made it to Minerva. Remus sent an alert to their dad and thrust Harry into Severus’ arms before he could reach Minerva.

Harry being in Severus’ arms calmed down the vampire. His eyes were still red slits, but he wasn’t advancing towards Minerva anymore.

“What is going on now?” Albus said, walking down the same corridor that Remus came from.

Remus was standing in between Severus and Minerva again.

“Remus, take your brother to his chambers,” Albus said. “Minerva, dear, could you please join me in my chambers?”

“Right away, Albus,” Minerva said, turning to follow the Headmaster.

Remus waited until Minerva was out of sight before he turned and faced Severus. Looking at his face, Remus wanted to see how far he had gone.

“Are you alright?” Remus asked. His hand on the back of Severus’ neck, giving it a mild squeeze.

Severus took several deep breaths. Each time he breathed in he could smell his fledgling. Feeling his child breathing on his neck. Severus closed his eyes for a long moment. His brother’s hand on his neck helped calm the vampire. When he opened them again, they were back to the original color.

“Are you alright?” Remus asked again.

“Yeah,” Severus nodded. “Shh, shh,” Severus soothed Harry, rubbing his back, looking at his brother. “I can’t take this anymore.”

“Calm down,” Remus said.

“I’m calm,” Severus looked at his brother. “I think I’m going to go.”

“Yeah,” Remus said, stepping back. “Take Harry back to your chambers.”

“No,” Severus said, shaking his head. “We’re leaving the school.”

“You’re leaving?” Remus asked. There was hurt in his tone.

“I’m just going home,” Severus said. “You can always come. But I can’t stay here with Minerva attacking me or my fledgling.”

Remus knew that Severus was right. The only way to keep Minerva safe from both the wolf and the vampire was for them to leave.

“What about the potion list for Poppy?” Remus asked.

“I’ll do them at home,” Severus said. “Harry wanted to help, so I won’t be alone or cooped up in the lab.”

“You want me to come with you?” Remus asked.

“Stay with dad,” Severus said. “And there’s no reason to ask me that. It’s your house too.”

Remus stepped forward and planted a kiss on the back of Harry’s head. He looked up at his brother and gave him a comforting squeeze on his shoulder. Severus nodded then turned and made his way to his chambers, talking soothingly to his fledgling. Remus looked up and saw Hedwig flying down with them. Remus turned and headed back to his dad’s chambers.

___000___000___000

Severus walked in his chambers. Even though he wanted to start packing, he had to calm Harry down. Hedwig flew in and perched herself on the back of the chair. Severus walked over to his chair, sitting down, moving Harry so that he was sitting across his lap and not laying on his chest. Harry leaned over so that his head was on Severus’ shoulder.

The Potions Master waved his hand and conjured a warm flannel to wipe Harry’s face.

“Harry,” Severus said, lowly. “You want to talk about it?”

Harry sighed, shaking his head.

“You may feel better,” Severus said. “There’s nothing that you are going through now that I haven’t been through. I’ll understand.”

Harry looked up at Severus. “Do you think I’m a monster?”

Severus closed his eyes and sighed. That was a question that he had been struggling with since he was turned.

“I don’t know how to answer that and not lie to you,” Severus said. “If you ask Grandpa Albus, he would say that we’re not. If you ask your Uncle Remus, he would say no. I know that it’s a new thing for you and I couldn’t be sorrier than I am now. I put this burden on you. But you are not a monster.”

“I don’t blame you,” Harry said, playing with a button on Severus’ coat. “There’s nothing to be sorry for.”

“Harry,” Severus tried to find the right words. “If I had taken my potion before I came to check on you, none of this would have happened.”

“But I have a family now because of you,” Harry said.

He sat up on Severus lap so that he could truly look at him.

“Before you came, I was neglected and forced to do manual labor, living in a cupboard. My relatives didn’t like me. They didn’t really want me there. You want me. You saved me. You gave me a family. I have you and Uncle Remus and Grandpa Albus. I don’t think of what happened to me as bad. Like I said, you gave me a family.”

Severus cupped Harry’s face with both hands.

“You don’t hate me for what I did?” Severus asked.

“No,” Harry said, shaking his head as much as he could. “For the first time I feel loved.”

Severus pulled Harry to his chest and hug the child. Deep down he always thought that Harry resented him. To hear his fledgling say those words lifted his spirits.

“Harry,” Severus said, pushing Harry back so he could see the child’s face. “How would you like to see where you’re going to live during the summer and Christmas holidays?”

“You don’t stay here?” Harry asked.

“Not usually,” Severus said, smirking. “We were going to go home after I made the potions for the Infirmary, but I changed my mind on that.”

“Don’t you still have to brew them?”

“I do. But I can brew them at home,” Severus said. “If you still want to, you can help me prep the ingredients.”

Harry nodded. “I still want to.”

“Great,” Severus said, lifting Harry off his lap and standing the child in front of him. “I say after everything that has happen, I think we are due a change of scenery. Go pack,” lightly patting Harry on his bum, “we’ll say bye to Albus and Remus before we go.”

Harry grinned and ran to the room he slept in and started packing.

___000___000___000  

“Why are we having this same conversation again?” Albus said. He was sitting behind his desk. The usual twinkle that in his eyes were long gone.

“I just wanted to talk to Harry,” Minerva said. “I’m his Head of House. I had to inform him how it would be.”

Minerva was sitting in the chair across from Albus’ desk.

“Calling him a monster was informing him how it would be?”

“He needed to know that he would not be back in the tower anymore,” Minerva said. “He could attack someone.”

“Besides this incident here,” Albus said, “has there been an attack in this school?”

“No,” Minerva said. “But that doesn’t mean that Severus didn’t get close to attacking someone. There have been several times that Severus tried to attack me.”

“I wonder why that is,” Albus said, trying to keep his temper.

“Excuse me,” Minerva bristled. “Are you saying that this is my fault?”

Albus looked at Minerva over his half-moon glasses.

“I’ve done absolutely nothing to warrant such attack,” Minerva said.

Before Albus could reply, Remus walked into the chambers.

“How are Harry and Severus?” Albus asked Remus.

“They’re leaving,” Remus said. There was a hint of growl in his voice.

“Leaving?” Albus said. “Where?”

“They’re going home,” Remus said, looking at the Transfiguration Professor.

“You make it seem like it is my fault,” Minerva said. “I’ve done nothing wrong.”

Remus tried his best to keep Moony calm. It gets harder and harder the more he looked at Minerva.

Albus kept his eyes on his son. He knew if Remus’ eyes changed, he would have to restrain him, but there was a part of him that didn’t want to that. Albus thought for one summer, one lousy summer, he could have both his sons under one roof.

“Minerva,” Albus said. “Have you ever considered that you provoke Severus to anger? You know what buttons to push to aggravate him.”

“I’ve done no such thing,” Minerva said, standing up. “I’m going back to my chambers. I’ve done nothing wrong. But I’m telling you now, Harry Potter will not be allowed in the Gryffindor tower. I want him out of Gryffindor.”

Minerva stepped past Remus. She felt heat surrounding her for a second. She looked at her former student, she could see the outer rims of his eyes changing. She swallowed thickly and walked out of the office.

Remus turned to his father.

“Really!” Remus growled. “She can’t do that. Take Harry out of Gryffindor.”

“Calm down,” Albus said, getting out of his chair. He walked over to Remus and put his hands on his son’s shoulders. “No, she can’t. I have final say if someone is taken out of a House. The Hat put him in Gryffindor and Gryffindor is where he will stay. Now, let’s go to your brother.”

___000___000___000

Severus was getting the last of what he would need together from his desk when the fireplace turned green. He looked up and saw his father and brother step through.

“Were you going to leave without telling me?” Albus asked.

“No,” Severus said. “I wouldn’t do that. But I know I can’t stay here. If I do, because Harry’s so young, he could attack her. He has to learn to control his rage, especially when school starts.”

“She doesn’t want Harry in the tower,” Remus said.

Before Severus could react to that, Albus spoke up.

“She doesn’t have final say. You know this.”

Severus started pacing.

“She just wants to make it hard for Harry,” Severus said.

“I will not allow her to ostracize Harry,” Albus said.

Severus shook his head. “She’s doing this because of me. Not because Harry is a vampire, but because of me personally. She didn’t have a problem with Remus staying in her precious tower.”

“And she will have no problem with Harry,” Albus said, standing in front of Severus so that he would stand still.

“What about his friends?” Severus asked. “I don’t want Harry to continue his time here being alone.”

“He will not be alone,” Albus said. “I have faith that Ms. Granger and Mr. Weasley will not abandon him. Have faith in them too.”

Severus sighed. He turned to call Harry to see if he was ready and stopped short when he saw that Harry was standing in the archway with tears streaming down his face.  

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 12 by mandancie

Albus sat down in one of the armchairs.

“Harry,” Albus said. “Come here.”

Harry walked over to the Headmaster. When the child was standing in front of him, Albus pulled Harry to stand between his spread knees.

“Why the tears?” Albus said, wiping the tears steams from Harry’s face.

“Do you think I’ll be alone?” Harry stuttered. He tried to keep his voice even. It wasn’t working out.

“Why would you say that?” Albus asked.

“I can’t be a Gryffindor. I can’t be friends with Ron and Hermione.”

“And why do you think that?” Albus asked, softly.

“Professor McGonagall said,” Harry sighed, trying to not breakdown crying. “I can’t be a Gryffindor anymore. That Ron and Hermione can’t be my friends.”

“That won’t happen,” Albus said, shaking his head.

Albus pulled Harry towards him and wrapped his arms around his grandson. Harry’s shoulders shook from his silent cries.

Remus and Severus stood still. Severus’ heart broke for his fledgling. He wished there was something he could do that would ease his worries.

“Harry,” Albus whispered in Harry’s ear, “do you really think that Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley would abandon you because you are a vampire?”

Harry stood back up and shrugged his shoulders.

“It just means I’m more of a freak,” Harry said.

Severus and Remus were about to protest about Harry’s choice of word, but Albus held up his hand to quiet his boys.

“Harry,” Albus said. “Do you still see yourself as a freak?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders again.

“No,” Albus said, shaking his head. “I want a verbal response.”

Harry looked at his Grandpa Albus. He could see that he was waiting for an answer. He turned to see his da and Uncle Remus, but Albus grabbed the child’s wrists and kept him facing forward.

“What’s your answer, Harry?” Albus asked. “Do you still see yourself as a freak?”

“I have to be,” Harry shouted. “Look at me.” Harry stepped back removing himself from Albus’ hold. “My own Head of House doesn’t want me in the tower. I told Da that I wasn’t angry about what happened to me. And I’m not. He gave me a family, but I don’t want to be singled out again.”

Severus’ heart broke more because he knew that it didn’t matter if Minerva kept him from the tower or not, he would still be singled out. That fact just made his guilt weigh heavily that much more.

Severus walked over to his fledgling. He put his hand on the child’s shoulder.

“Harry,” Severus said, kneeling in front of Harry. “I can’t promise you that you won’t be singled out because of this. I wish I could. I wish I didn’t…”

Severus stopped talking when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Harry saw Remus walking towards his da.

“Harry, listen,” Remus said. “Everybody’s different. You are not going to be the same as your friends. No one is the same. And that makes everyone singled out.”

Harry looked at everyone silently.

“Harry,” Severus said. “What singles out Ms. Granger?”

Harry looked at his da not knowing what he was supposed to say.

“Ms. Granger has something that is uniquely her,” Severus said. “What is it?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders saying, “She likes to read. She’s good in class.”

“Exactly,” Severus said. “And what about Mr. Weasley?”

Harry thought about it for a second. Ron was his first friend. He sat with him while they were on the train in their first year.

“From what I heard from your little adventure in your first year,” Severus said, smirking.

Harry tried to hide his smile but wasn’t completely successful.

“It was Ron that got you three past the chess board, right?” Severus asked, raising an eyebrow.

This time Harry did smile.

“Yeah,” Harry said.

“Then he’s exceptional at playing chess,” Albus said.

Harry looked at the elder wizard.

“Those chess pieces were set so that it would be extremely hard to win,” Albus said. “But Mr. Weasley won in only eight moves.”

“So,” Severus said, bringing Harry’s attention back on him. “Mr. Weasley is singled out for being a wonderful chess player.”

“And you,” Albus said. “Yes, you are the only person to survive the killing curse. But that isn’t what makes you different from everyone. And it isn’t that you are now a vampire. It is your ability to forgive.”

Harry’s brow furrowed. “Forgive?”

“Yes,” Albus said. “For someone who’s lived the hard life that you have. For being treated abominably by people who were supposed to love you. When you walked through those doors of the Great Hall, you did not have a look of bitterness or anger. It was a look of awe and wonder. I know that you risked getting in trouble in order to protect a friend’s property. You rejected one child because of how rude he was to another.”

“How did you know about that?” Harry asked.

“I’m the Headmaster,” Albus said. “I know everything that happens in this school.”

Albus winked at Harry causing the child to snicker. Hearing the child laugh eased the tension in the room.

“You had a brightness around you,” Albus said. “You forgave the wizarding world from ostracizing you. To put it simply, you forgave me because I was the one that placed you with your relatives.”

“You didn’t know how they were going to be,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulders.

“And that, right there,” Severus said, pointing in the middle of Harry’s chest, “is what makes you different from others. With everything that you went through, you have to ability to forgive.”

Harry smiled and rushed to his da, wrapping his arms around his neck. Severus stood up since his legs were started to cramp, holding his fledgling in his arms.

“Well,” Albus said, clapping his hands. “Since you two are heading to Sugar Cottage…”

“Sugar Cottage?” Harry said, turning around in Severus’ arms, looking at the Headmaster.

“I think you know,” Severus said, shaking his head, “your grandfather’s affinity towards sweets.”

“Anyway,” Albus continued. “We’ll be home in a weeks’ time.”

Remus ruffled Harry’s hair causing the child to look over at him.

“I’ll see you in a week, little cub,” Remus said.

Harry smiled.

“Bye, Uncle Remus.”

Severus put Harry down, gathered their belongings, shrinking them to put in his pocket.

“See you later,” Severus said, holding out his hand for Harry.

Harry and Severus walked out of Severus’ chambers, heading for the gate of the castle.

Albus stood up, walking over to Remus and put his arm around his son.

“Do you want to go home now?” Albus asked.

Remus looked over at his dad and shook his head.

“I would love to,” Remus said, “But I think that Severus and Harry need some alone time so they can cultivate their bond. Get closer to each other. And that will not happen within these walls with Minerva here.”

Albus didn’t respond to that. It angered him that Minerva continued to pick on Severus and now Harry. She made it difficult for Severus for a long time. This was something that Albus knew he would need to handle before one of his sons’ or even worse his grandson’s primal instincts to take over.

“Let’s have some tea,” Albus said.

Remus stepped away from Albus towards the door when he saw the door close. Turning around Remus saw that Albus closed the door.

“I don’t feel like dealing with Moony,” Albus said. “Honestly, I don’t think I would stop Moony if he did come out.”

Remus through his head back and laughed.

“So, I thought we would use the floo to my chambers to avoid Minerva,” Albus said.

Remus smirk as he walked over with his dad to the fireplace.

___000___000___000

Severus and Harry appeared at a deserted street. After a moment of silence, Harry looked up at his da.

“Uh, where are we?” Harry asked.

“Home,” Severus said, trying to keep his face neutral.

They continued walking down the deserted street. Harry looked around. There were overgrown weeds. Moss growing up the tall trees. The limbs on said trees almost reached the street. Harry didn’t want to seem snobbish about what he was seeing. Lord knows he didn’t live in luxury. And it wasn’t even the fact that the area looked deserted. Honestly, Harry didn’t know how he was feeling. It was like parts of him were scared, excited, and nervous at the same time.

Severus could feel Harry’s anxiety. He didn’t need to use their connection to know how his fledgling was feeling. Severus could see it on Harry’s face.

“Is there something you want to talk about, Harry?” Severus asked, put his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

Harry shook his head so hard that his hair was swiping across his face. Severus knew for sure something was bother Harry by how quickly he answered. Severus stopped walking and stood in front of Harry. He knelt in front of the child.

“I can feel your anxiety seeping though your pores,” Severus said, looking up at the boy.

Harry shook his head and looked down. Severus gently but firmly gripped Harry’s chin and lifted it so he could look in his emerald eyes.

“What’s bothering you?” Severus asked softly.

Tears started to pool in Harry’s eyes. Severus, seeing how upset Harry was, worried him more. Was this something that still lingered from Harry’s thoughts of being a monster? Was Harry being honest about how much Minerva’s statements actually hurt the child?

“I’m not a spoiled boy,” Harry said. A tear streamed down his cheek.

The statement surprised Severus. Where on earth did this come from? “Spoiled boy?”

“I fear I’m missing something,” Severus speculated. “I never said that you were spoiled.”

“I was judging how the place looked,” Harry sobbed.

Severus pulled Harry into his arms.

“What’s wrong with me?” Harry asked, burying his head on Severus’ shoulder.

“There’s nothing wrong with you,” Severus said, standing up with Harry in his arms. They need to continue so they could get to the cottage. “Your emotions are heightened. If you’re upset, it will exaggerate how you are feeling. If you’re worried or scared, that too will deepen. Once you get used to your body now it won’t seem so powerful.”

Severus rubbed Harry’s back wanting to soothe his fledgling of his sensitive emotions. After a moment, Severus didn’t feel Harry’s shoulders shaking.

“Are you feeling better?” Severus asked.

Harry lifted his head and looked at his da. He wiggled a little so that he could be let down. Severus complied.

Taking a deep breath, Harry replied, “Yeah, I am. I just can’t wait until I’m able to stop all this crying. I’m almost thirteen.”

“It’ll pass,” Severus said, smirking. “Just give it time.”

They walked in silence again, when Severus tightened his grip on Harry’s shoulder.

“We’re here,” Severus announced.

Harry looked at the cottage. It looked serene. The lawn was manicured. There were flowerbeds across the front of the house. There was a small gazebo with chairs and what looked like a bench swing. There were trees that outlined the property. It didn’t look anything like the street did when they arrived. If Harry was right, he could hear water running as if there was a stream nearby. The cottage was made with stone and wood. It looked like a cozy two-story house.

“If you’re finished gaping at it,” Severus said, smiling. “Maybe we can go inside.”

Harry smiled as he nodded.

“Well, there you go,” Severus said, walking towards the door with Harry following. “That’s why.”

Harry giggled as they went inside.

Harry’s eyes seemed to have popped out of his head as he looked around.

“Wow.”

It was the only word that he could come up with to describe what he was seeing.

___000___000___000

Remus and Albus walked out of the fireplace. Remus sat down on the sofa; Albus walked over to his desk. His plan was to finish all his work so that he could get to the cottage sooner.

Albus looked over at Remus. His boy was slouched on the couch, his head leaning on the back of the sofa. The more he looked at Remus the more anger filled Albus’ soul.

This was supposed to be a pleasant summer. Remus and Severus were under the same roof. Which had been a long time since they were together. While Remus was away that didn’t mean that Albus didn’t check on his son. But knowing that this year he would have both brightened his day more.

Now, he had another. Yes, he was upset that Severus didn’t take his potion and neglected to inform Poppy or himself that he wasn’t feeling well. But what was done was done. Severus was now taking responsibility for his actions. Harry surprised Albus more. That child’s ability to forgive was mind-boggling.

Thinking of Harry, Albus looked over at Remus. This time he focused in on his clothes.

“Remus,” Albus said, breaking the quiet of the room.

“Yeah,” Remus replied, not even opening his eyes or lifting his head.

“Do you have clothes?”

Hearing that question, Remus opened his eyes and sat up on the sofa.

“Of course, I have clothes,” Remus said. “Why?”

“I’ve noticed your clothes are on the thin side,” Albus said.

Remus couldn’t help the heat growing on his face. It was true that his clothes were old but finding a job with his ailment was very difficult. No one would hire someone that needed five days off every month. Now, there was a new judgement going around that a person must disclose issues a person has if they were looking for employment.

“My clothes are fine, dad,” Remus said.

Albus looked at Remus, silently. Looking through his desk, Albus found what he was looking for.

“Here,” Albus said, reaching out the item in his hand. “Go to Diagon Alley and London and get yourself some clothes.”

“Dad,” Remus said, still sitting on the sofa. “I’m fine. I can get myself some more clothes when school starts.”

Albus shook his head.

“Give an old man his wish,” Albus said. “Take this and get yourself some clothes.”

Remus stood up but didn’t move towards the Headmaster’s desk. Albus knew that Remus was struggling. Severus and Remus are proud men. They never asked for anything. If they were in need, they were determined to acquire what they needed on their own; though what they didn’t know was the items that they would acquire would be because of Albus. He would supply what they needed, and with the help of the store owners they would give his sons what they needed.  On very few occasions did they come to Albus.

Albus walked over to Remus and gripped his son’s shoulders.

“You know,” Albus said, softly. “It is okay to receive help from others.”

Remus didn’t say anything. He just looked at his mentor, his dad.

“And it is okay,” Albus continued. “to let an old coot,” Albus said, smirking, “take care of his sons and provide for the.”

Albus gave Remus a small card.

“This you will use to get you some clothes. I don’t want you trying to get the least number of things. Get yourself a full wardrobe. Have your clothes sent to Sugar Cottage as I will check when I get home.”

Remus was about to interrupt, when Albus raised his hand, halting any talking and continued.

“You will then go home, and I will see you all when I am finished here.”

Remus didn’t know what to say. He was dumbstruck. His dad wanted him to buy himself a new wardrobe. And leave him here. Remus looked down at the money card in Albus’ hand.

“Remus,” Albus said, bringing the werewolf out of his musing. “What I said was not a request.”

“Yes, sir,” Remus said, taking the card and putting it in his pocket. “Are you sure you don’t want me to stay here?”

“With all the problems Minerva is causing you and your brother,” Albus said, “as much as I would like Moony to come out and deal with her, I don’t want undue stress for me or you boys. Go home. I’ll be home in a few days.”

Remus went to the fireplace, stepping inside after grabbing some floo powder. He threw it down and said, “Diagon Alley.” With a flash of green Albus was alone in his chambers.

Albus sighed and walked back to his desk.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 13 by mandancie

Severus opened the door. Harry couldn’t believe his eyes. Never did he think the inside of Sugar Cottage would look like this: ordinary.

Harry couldn’t hold it back anymore. He started giggling. His shoulder shook as he laughed, almost dropping his satchel.

Severus looked down at his fledgling wondering what he thought was so funny. The sounds of Harry’s laughter filled the front end of the house. Severus couldn’t help but to smile at Harry’s merriment. Harry couldn’t stop laughing. He turned towards Severus burying his head in his da’s chest.

“Harry,” Severus said, wrapping his arms around Harry’s shoulders. “Do calm yourself. I must know what you find so funny.”

Harry tried to take deep breaths so he could answer his da, but every time he did a bubble of giggles and snickering escaped and he started all over again. Severus sighed and waited until Harry calmed down on his own.

After a long moment, Harry began to calm down. When he looked up at his da, Severus noticed that Harry’s cheeks were red with tear stains glistening on his cheeks. Pulling out his handkerchief, Severus softly wiped the happy tears from Harry’s face. Though he stopped laughing, it didn’t mean the smile was gone.

“Now that you’ve calmed yourself,” Severus said, citing another giggle from Harry’s throat. “Can you please tell me what struck you so funny?”

Harry took a deep breath and tried to calm the second bout of giggles fighting to come to the surface.

“Ever since you told me the name of the cottage,” Harry said, breathlessly. “I just imagined different confections and candies all over the house.” A snicker escaped. “When I walked in the door, I was clearly not expecting what I am looking at now.” Another giggle came from the back of his throat.

Now, Severus bit his lip as he tried his best to control his laughter. It had been a very, very long time since he felt like this. How could this small child bring such amazing joy to him. Harry has more power than he could ever imagine.

“I hope now you realize that it is just the name of the cottage not the content of it,” Severus said. Though he wasn’t laughing, he couldn’t keep the smile off his face or the sparkle from his eyes.

“Well,” Severus said after clearing his throat. “If you’re finished, let’s get your things in your room and I can show you around Sugar Cottage.”

Severus put emphasis on Sugar Cottage causing Harry to start laughing again.

___000___000___000

Remus stepped out of the floo in the Leaky Caldron. He was of two minds about what he was supposed to do. He pulled the card Albus gave him out of his pocket. He knew how this particular card worked. He would be able to buy what he wanted in both Muggle and Wizard worlds. Remus loved the fact that Albus cared so much about him that he wanted to spend money on getting him clothes. But he hated that Albus felt that he needed to spend money on buying him clothes.

His dad was right about him and Severus; they were proud. When Severus and Remus came of age, they both felt that it was time that Albus stop trying to buy things for them. Remus and Severus were now old enough to take care of themselves. And if they were having trouble, they could handle it on their own. Remus left after he graduated so he wouldn’t continue to be a burden to Albus and Severus. Remus knew it would be hard for him to find employment because of his issues.

The new laws from the Ministry was that if you had a creature or animal within you, you must register with a special department within the Ministry when you come of age. That registry kept a person from getting gainful employment.

Remus was grateful that Severus kept owling him his Wolfsbane potion every couple of months. He didn’t let Severus know where he was as the owl that was used was Remus’. So, Severus would send a message alone with the phials each time.

Severus and Remus weren’t as close as they were while in school. Though they were cordial with each other, it was never the same closeness after Remus left. And it was because of that unfortunate incident.

Remus shook his head trying to rid himself of that memory. He didn’t want to think about it. Knowing that his dad probably put a charm on the card to make sure he was purchasing items, Remus walked towards the Wizard side.

Remus was walking out of Madam Malkin’s shop. He had his purchases shipped to Sugar Cottage. He was heading back to the Leaky Cauldron, when something caught his eye. Walking over to the small carriage, Remus saw the latest Daily Prophet. The color drained from Remus’ face. His heart started pounding. His palms began to sweat.

“It can’t be,” Remus whispered.

“You want a copy, friend?” the shopkeeper said.

Remus nodded numbly, pulling a galleon, paying the shopkeeper. Remus was so distracted he didn’t even wait for his change.

Walking back into the Leaky Cauldron, Remus knew that he should go finish his shopping but looking at the paper put him off. He walked to the bar. Tom walked over.

“What can I get you?” Tom asked.

“Firewhiskey,” Remus said. “And leave the bottle.”

Tom knocked on the bar and walked away. Remus pulled the paper out again and looked at the headline.

“They’re never going to forgive me,” Remus sighed to himself.

___000___000___000

Harry was in Heaven. To anyone else, it just looked like an ordinary room. To Harry, it was a suite. He had a huge bed in the corner of the room and a large window so he could look out. There was a windowsill seat that he could sit and just view the yard. His window faced, what his da said was, the backyard. There was a huge lawn with a garden along the back wall. Severus told him that there was a greenhouse where he kept most of the ingredients he used for his potions. On the far wall, opposite the bed was a desk where he could do his homework. There were two doors; one, was the closet, the other a bathroom.

The room may not have his favorite colors, or pictures on the wall, or some nonessential personal items, but it was his room. His.

Harry walked over to the bed and flopped down on it. He liked the little bounce it had. He tried to resist the urge to stand on the bed and jump up and down. The bed felt so soft and comfortable. The only other bed he could compare it to would be the one in his dorm. It was about the same.

There was a pop in the middle of the room. Harry looked over and saw that his clothes, trunk, and Hedwig’s cage appeared.

Knocking on the door brought Harry out of his musing.

“I see you got your things,” Severus observed.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “They just got here.”

“Well, hold off unpacking,” Severus said, holding out his hand. “I want to show you the rest of the house.”

Harry got off the floor and went to his da.

“Where’s your room?” Harry asked.

“It’s down here,” Severus said, walking down the hallway.

Severus opened the door. Harry looked inside and couldn’t help smiling.

“It looks like your room at Hogwarts,” Harry said.

“I’m a man with simple taste.”

Harry walked in the room.

“I want to show you something,” Severus said, walking to the door adjacent to the room door. Severus opened the door.

“Wow,” Harry said, looking in the room. “Your bathroom looks just like mine. Are all of them the same?”

“Harry, it’s the same bathroom. I want you to know that you have a faster way of getting to me.”

Harry didn’t say anything.

“With the changes you are going to go through, you might find the need to be near me. If that happens, don’t fight it. Just come to me. I’ll be waiting with open arms.”

Harry walked over to his da and leaned into his side. He loved the warm feeling knowing that his da was so near.

“Let’s go see the rest of the house,” Severus said.

They ended their tour in the back gardens. The sun was out but it wasn’t stifling hot like it was when Harry had to work outside with his relatives. The grass looked plush and well-manicured. Harry wanted to take off his shoes and feel the grass between his toes. Seeing everything there was one thought circling the back of his mind: what would be his chores?

While Harry was looking around the lawn, Severus walked into the greenhouse to gather the fresh ingredients he would need to start on the list for Poppy.

“Da.”

“In the greenhouse,” Severus called out.

Severus was filling a small basket full of different plants and roots.

Harry stood at the door. “What you doing?”

“I’m getting started on the potions,” Severus said, focusing on pulling some dragonroot from the soil.

“You starting on it now?” Harry asked.

“It’s a long list,” Severus said. He looked at Harry. “What’s wrong?”

“Well, I was wondering,” Harry said. “What kind of chores will I have to do?”

Severus looked at his fledgling for a second before answering. He put down the basket and walked to his fledgling.

“Harry,” Severus said, putting his hands on Harry’s shoulders. “You are not with your so-called relatives anymore. Alright? You will not have a long list of chores that must be done. I hope you weren’t thinking that while we were walking around the house.”

Harry shook his head. “No, I didn’t. I just wanted to know what’s expected of me. I don’t want to do something wrong. I want to stay.”

“Okay,” Severus said, walking over to the stone bench in front of the greenhouse. “Let’s get a few things straight.”

Severus and Harry sat down. He slightly turned towards Harry so Harry could see his face.

“First and foremost, you will never lose your place in this house. Never. I don’t care what you do. Break a glass. Blow up my lab. Set your room on fire. Nothing will result in you being removed from this house or this family. Do you understand?”

Harry nodded.

Severus raised an eyebrow at Harry.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, hearing the silent request.

“Now,” Severus continued. “As far as what you are responsible for: you are to make sure your room is relatively clean. I don’t want to walk in your room and break my neck because you have things in the middle of the floor.”

Harry tried to bite back a snort that tried to get out from the mental picture of his da flailing his arms as he dropped to the floor.

“You are also,” Severus said, getting back Harry’s attention, “to make sure that if you take something from the library or my study, it is to be brought back in the same manner as when it was taken.”

Harry nodded, “Yes, sir.”

“Great,” Severus said, getting up from the bench.

“What if something does happen?” Harry said. “I know you said that I won’t be thrown out, but I’m sure I would have some kind of—”

“Ahh,” Severus said, as he sat back down. “You want to know the consequences if you do something naughty.”

Harry’s face scrunched up at the kiddy word. Severus tried not to laugh at the look on Harry’s face.

“Well, there are a few things that would happen,” Severus said. “But it depends on the severity of what you’ve done. If you don’t clean up your room, for instance, you will be grounded in your room as well as clean it up like you were supposed to.”

“But what if it is blowing up your lab?” Harry asked.

“Are you planning on blowing up my lab?” Severus asked, his eyebrow quirking.

“No,” Harry said quickly. “I’m just asking.”

Severus could sense that Harry was getting agitated. Not by Severus’ teasing, but not knowing.

“Okay,” Severus said, holding out his hand to Harry. “Let’s get to the root of all this. Are you asking if I’m going to beat you?”

Harry lowered his head. Severus curled his finger under Harry’s chin and lifted it so his fledgling was looking at him.

“Listen to me,” Severus said. His tone broached no argument. “If it is something that can put your life or the lives of others in danger, you may get a swat or two on your bum to show my dissatisfaction, but there will never be a time where you are beaten for something you’ve done. You will be grounded. Or must write lines. Clean cauldrons in the lab. And as I said, there may be a swat or two on your bum, but that is it. Nothing more. And it’s the same with your Uncle Remus and Grandpa Albus. Do you understand?”

Hearing that assurance lifted a burden Harry didn’t know he was carrying. He could feel the truth of what his da was saying. It wasn’t just words. It was deep from the core love. Pure love that will allow someone to grow as well as be there when they fall. Harry had wanted that for so long. Now he had it.

“Thank you, da,” Harry said.

“Great,” Severus said. “Now, why don’t you go and finish putting your things away and meet me in my lab. There are plenty of potions that need to be done.”

Harry grinned. “Yeah, da.” Harry stood up and ran towards the back door but stopped and turned back around. Severus was standing up when he was tackled by his fledgling. Harry hugged him tightly and let go, running back to the house. Severus shook his head and went back to gathering more ingredients.

___000___000___000

It had been two hours and Remus was still sitting at the bar. Tom gave Remus the glass and bottle of Firewhiskey to Remus a while ago, but Remus only had a sip. He was still lost in his thoughts.

Remus knew that he couldn’t stay there for long.

“Tom,” Remus called.

“Yeah.”

“Hold this for me,” Remus said. “I’ll get it when I head home.”

“Yeah, sure thing,”

Remus left the pub, heading towards the Muggle side. This time Remus went to several stores and did his shopping. Once he got his packages, he walked down a deserted alley and shrunk them, putting them in his pocket.

It was starting to get dark, so Remus decided that he’s done enough that should satisfy dad. He wanted to go back to Hogwarts and talk to his dad about what he learned today, but the way Albus was behaving, he was hanging on to his peaceful nature by a thread. Learning that Minerva had continued to harass Severus and Harry was becoming a lot for Albus, let alone Moony, to keep peaceful. Remus could see that in his adopted father. Remus didn’t want to aggravate it by disobeying a simple request.

Going back to the Leaky Cauldron, forgetting his alcohol, Remus floo’ed to Sugar Cottage.

___000___000___000

Albus watched his son floo out of his chambers. He took several calming breaths, hoping that would calm his nerves. It didn’t. Albus turned to see the amount of work he had to do before he could leave.

There was the budget he had to complete. Getting the final approval for the extra supplies that were needed for Herbology and Potions. Giving the Board notice that a Defense professor was hired. Finally, he had to delegate what the elves were to do while the school was closed.

Albus felt that if he wasn’t disturbed, he should be able to finish this today and maybe get to Sugar Cottage with his family by nightfall or maybe the next morning.

Yes, no interruptions.

Albus walked over to the door, pulled out his wand, and waved a complicated spell on the door. He made it that his gargoyle entrance would not move even if the password was given. Albus put a silencing charm and a powerful locking charm on the door so it wouldn’t open. The only way anyone could contact him was if he allowed it.

Fawkes woke up. The phoenix started to trill and sing, getting Albus’ attention.

“Well, hello Fawkes,” Albus said softly. He walked over to his bird and petted his feathers.

“I need you to give Poppy something and then I want you to go straight to Sugar Cottage,” Albus said.

He wrote out a small missive and gave it to his phoenix. Fawkes flew out of the window and disappeared. Albus smiled and got started on his work.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 14 by mandancie

Severus and Harry spent a few hours prepping ingredients for the long list of potions needed in the Infirmary. They mostly worked in a comfortable silence, but Harry did ask the occasional question.

Harry had fun working beside his da. He never thought potions would be this fun and relaxing. He tried not to think about the wasted time the past two years not caring about potions. But with his emotions in overload, he couldn’t help but lament them. The more he thought about it, the more upset he got.

Severus was in his own little world, so he didn’t realize his fledgling was becoming upset. A small phial smashed on the table, bringing Severus out of his musing. He looked over at Harry and saw he was upset.

“Harry,” Severus called out. “Harry, what’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry,” Harry said, looking up at Severus.

Severus’ brow knitted together. “What are you apologizing for?”

“I wasted away two years of learning potions,” Harry said. “I didn’t know it could be this relaxing.”

Severus nodded his understanding. “Well, it wasn’t all your fault with that.”

“What do you mean?”

“I wasn’t the most approachable teacher,” Severus said. “I didn’t make it easy for you. And if I remember correctly, I picked on you on your first day.”

“Yeah,” Harry said. “I was looking forward to potions. But I still didn’t take the class seriously. But I promise I will not be the same as I was the last two years. I’m going to make my potions perfect, so you can be proud of me.”

“I am already proud of you, my fledgling,” Severus said. “And I thank you for wanting to take potions seriously, but remember, I don’t want you to think that I want you to be perfect. I want you to reach your full potential though. Accidents and mistakes will happen. It is what you learn from those mistakes that count. Understand?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, smiling.

“Now,” Severus said, untying his leather apron. “I think we’ve earned ourselves a small break. Do you want a sandwich?”

Harry nodded as he took off his apron.

“Well, go upstairs and clean yourself up,” Severus said, slightly turning Harry towards the door and patting his bum.

Harry rushed to do what he was told. Severus chuckled at his fledgling’s antics. He waved his wand, putting the supplies in soak to be cleaned later. Going upstairs, Severus went into the kitchen and gathered the items he needed to make sandwiches. Harry came back into the kitchen when Severus was putting the full plates on the table.

“You did very well preparing the ingredients,” Severus said.

Harry beamed at his da, taking a bite of his sandwich. “Thanks,” he said, after swallowing his food.

“Do you think you can brew some of them?” Severus asked.

“Are you serious?” Harry asked, trying to contain his excitement. “You want me to brew with you?”

“I think you would do well brewing some of the simpler potions,” Severus said. “I think it would do you good to work on your potions.”

“Are you sure?” Harry asked. “I’m awful at potions.”

“The only way you will learn is by doing them,” Severus said coolly.

“I just don’t think my potions will be good for the Infirmary,” Harry said.

Severus could understand what his son was saying. And it hurt that he was part of the reason Harry was failing potions. He needed to change how things were and start anew.

“How about this,” Severus compromised. “The list of potions I have I will go through them to see what you should have learned in your first and second year. You will practice on them. If they are good, that batch will be for the Infirmary. But you have to pay attention.”

Harry nodded. “When do we get started?”

“Tomorrow. I may have a long list of potions to brew, but you still have other homework that needs to be done.”

“Boo,” Harry said, leaning back in his seat. “Can’t that wait? It’s the beginning of Summer. I’m with my new family.”

“Yes, I know,” Severus said. “And might I remind you that this new family you have is the Headmaster and the Evil Dungeon Bat.” Severus arched an eyebrow.

Harry huffed, crossing his arms across his chest.

“You’re not an Evil Dungeon Bat,” Harry sulked. “You’re just a meanie.”

Severus laughed.

“I’ll make a bargain with you,” Severus said.

“Okay,” Harry said, uncrossing his arms, picking up his sandwich and taking another bite.

“You will do a couple of hours of homework in the morning,” Severus said. “We will work on potions after lunch. The rest of the time is yours to do what you please.”

“Okay,” Harry conceded, shrugging his shoulders. “I guess I can live with that.”

“You’ll have to,” Severus said.

Harry wasn’t too upset about having to start his homework, but it was nice to be able to act like a regular kid and fuss about it a little. He had seen Dudley do it many times and get away with not having to do anything. His aunt and uncle went so far as to send Dudley’s teachers a note stating that some mystical emergency came up and he couldn’t do his homework. And the teachers bought it.

“Harry,” Severus called out.

Harry looked up at his da. He was so deep in thought, he almost forgot that he was sitting at the table with his da.

“Are you going to write to your friends, letting them know where you are?” Severus asked.

Harry’s eyes got big. Harry was still a little wary about writing to Ron and Hermione. He didn’t think he could take the rejection of his friends.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “It will be fine.”

Severus’ reassurance made everything okay. Harry smiled and nodded.

“Why don’t you go and write your letters?” Severus suggested. “By the time you’re through, we can go talk a walk around the grounds. I can show you where the fun places are.”

Harry nodded and went to his room.

Severus waved his hand making the dishes go to the sink. He walked into the living room when the floo flared. Surprised, he turned. His wand was instantly in his hand.

___000___000___000

Harry walked into his room, closing the door behind him. He saw Hedwig sitting on top of the burrow.

“Hey, Hedwig,” Harry sighed, walking over to the desk.

He pulled out a few rolls of parchment and a quill. Hedwig flew to the edge of Harry’s desk.

“Hey, girl,” Harry said, letting his fingers get lost in her feathers. “I’m worried.”

As if she understood her master, Hedwig tilted her head to the side.

“Da says that Ron and Hermione will not abandon me now that I’m a vampire. Deep down I hope that’s probably true. They did stick with me when everyone thought I was the Heir of Slytherin. I just don’t want to alienate them because of me. Professor McGonagall said I can’t be in the Tower anymore.”

Hedwig hooted then lowered her head and softly nipped at Harry’s finger. Harry couldn’t help but smile at his owl. It was something about her that calmed his spirit. Hedwig bumped her head gently to Harry’s hand and then flew to the edge of the headboard of his bed.

Harry pulled the parchment towards him and started writing his letters.

___000___000___000

Severus raised his wand at the ready, waiting to see who would step out of the hearth.

“Hey!”

“What are you doing here?” Severus asked, lowering his wand.

“I’ve only been out of your sight for a few hours, and you’re ready to jinx me?” Remus said, dusting the ash off his clothes.

“I thought you were staying with Albus,” Severus said.

“Yeah, well,” Remus said, walking out of the sitting room. Severus followed. “After you left, we went back to his chambers. I was trying to calm down when he told me to go shopping.”

“It’s about time,” Severus teased. “You look like a ragamuffin.”

Remus didn’t respond to that remark, but he did glare at him.

“Anyway, dad should be home this evening.”

“Harry will love that,” Severus said.

“Where is he?” Remus asked.

“His room. He’s in the one attached to mine.”

Remus nodded and headed towards the stairs. Severus walked back to his lab to get started on the potions for Poppy.

Harry was finishing up Hermione’s letter when there was a knock on the door. Harry turned towards it when he opened.

“Uncle Remus,” Harry exclaimed, rushing to Remus’ side. “I thought you were staying with Grandpa.”

“Your Grandpa had different plans,” Remus said, smiling. “So,” Remus walked into the room, “how do you like your room?”

“I love it,” Harry said, walking back to his desk. He closed his letters. “Hedwig.”

Hedwig flew to Harry. Taking the missives, she flew out of the window.

“Do you think I can invite Ron and Hermione over?” Harry asked, standing at the window watching Hedwig fly away.

“I don’t see why not,” Remus said, rustling Harry’s hair. “This is your home too.”

___000___000___000

“Hey,” Harry exclaimed when he saw his guest walking down the street.

“Heya, Harry,” Ron called back.

Hermione just waved.

When the trio got together, Hermione rushed into Harry’s arms. Ron patted Harry on his shoulder.

“So,” Ron said. “You living here now?”

“Yeah,” Harry said, rubbing the back of his neck. “At least it’s not with my relatives.”

“True,” Ron nodded. “That’s good.”

“So, Harry,” Hermione said. “What was so important you couldn’t put in your letter?”

Harry not wanting to get into the details of him asking his best friends over, decided on stalling for a while.

“Let’s go inside,” Harry said. “We can talk more there.”

The trio was sitting in the sitting room. Hermione and Ron were on the sofa and Harry was pacing in front of the fireplace.

“Harry,” Hermione said. “What is it? You know you can tell us anything.”

“Yeah, mate,” Ron agreed.

Harry took a deep breath and faced his friends. His da and Remus told him that Hermione and Ron wouldn’t reject him. Boy, did he hope that would be true.

“Well,” Harry said. “Something happened earlier this summer.”

“Okay,” Hermione said.

Harry reached up and took off his glasses. “There was an accident and some things changed. And for the better.”

“An accident?”

“What happened?”

Harry raised his hand to stop the questions.

“Let me get this out,” Harry pleaded. “While I was at my aunt and uncle’s house, I was attacked.”

“Attacked?” Ron said.

Hermione walked over to Harry. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine,” Harry reassured. “Well, because of this accident I acquired a new family.”

“So, who is this new family?” Ron asked.

The door to the cottage opened and Severus came out.

“Fledgling,” Severus said. “Come inside.”

“Fledgling?” both of Harry’s friends called out.

“Come on in,” Harry invited, smiling.

“What’s going on, Harry?” Hermione asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Fledgling? Why would Professor Snape call you a fledgling?”

“Yeah,” Ron agreed. “Fledglings are the young of creatures.”

Harry said nothing. His heart started racing. Now, he was worried about his friends’ reactions.

“Are you a creature?” Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. Harry saw the level of disgust on his friends’ faces. Maybe Professor McGonagall was right. Maybe he shouldn’t stay in the tower this school year. Da and Uncle Remus said they would understand, but it looks like they weren’t.

“I can’t believe it,” Ron yelled. “A bloody creature. What are you?”

“I’m a vampire,” Harry said softly.

Hermione stepped back from Harry. That one act broke Harry’s heart. Everyone was right. He was a freak. He was a monster. And now, he was beginning to resign himself to the fact that he would be alone again. His breathing became erratic.

Severus walked out of the cottage and went to his son.

“What’s going on?” Severus asked. “What’s wrong?”

Severus rushed to his fledgling’s side. He saw that Harry was on the verge of panic. Severus was already in the process of opening his collar. He did not care who was around. His fledgling needed to feed before his panic attack turned into a blood rage.

Even though Harry could feel the warmth of his Da and smell his scent, Harry could still hear the disgust and hatred in his friends. Tears burned the back of his eyes as he realized that he will be alone.

“Go ahead, fledgling,” Severus prompted. “It’ll be alright.”

___000___000___000

Harry sat up with a shout on his lips. Tears streaming down his face. His heart was racing. He tried to calm his breathing, but nothing would help. Harry couldn’t think. It felt so real. Ron and Hermione didn’t want to be his friend anymore. It was elementary school all over again. Sitting alone during recess. Watching from afar as the other children played.

“A freak,” Harry whispered. “Nothing but a freak. Always be a freak.”

Harry’s breathing became erratic. His vision was getting cloudy. The room was dark, because of his newly improved eyesight, Harry was able to see clearly in the dark. Harry wanted to call out for his Da, but he couldn’t get enough breath in his lungs to scream out.

It was only seconds later both Harry’s bathroom and room door opened. The boy heard several footsteps but wasn’t comprehending that someone was talking to him.

___000___000___000

Severus felt his fledgling’s distress before he heard it. Scrambling out of his bed, Severus quickly put on his robe and rushed through the joining bathroom to Harry’s room.

Remus couldn’t sleep. There was a lot on his mind. He tried his best not to show how uncomfortable he was knowing that when Severus did get wind of what was in the Daily Prophet, old arguments and hatred would come back. Remus hoped now that his brother had a fledgling, Severus would listen to reason. Hearing a noise that he hadn’t heard in years, Remus rushed out of bed and headed to his nephew’s room.

Severus and Remus arrived in Harry’s room at the same time. The brothers looked at each other for a second before Severus rushed towards Harry’s bedside.

Harry’s whining progressed into moaning as he squirmed in the bed. Severus sat down on the bed. He lifted the boy by his underarms, bringing his fledgling to his chest. Out of instinct, Harry started nuzzling Severus’ neck. Severus brought him to the crook of his neck allowing Harry to bite down.

Remus, seeing that his brother had everything under control, headed back to bed.

Severus properly sat Harry on his lap while he suckled his neck. He rubbed soothing circles on Harry’s back, trying to calm his fledgling down.

“Shh,” Severus cooed. “It’s alright, fledgling. I’m here.”

Severus could feel Harry trying to stop. “No, take your time. I’m not going anywhere.”

That was all Harry needed to hear continuing drinking the calming liquid. After a little while, Harry finally stopped. After closing the bite, the boy lowered his head on his Da’s shoulder.

“Feeling better, dear one?” Severus asked, still rubbing Harry’s back.

Deep down Harry knew he was acting like a baby. He was going to be thirteen. He was too old to be snuggling up against his Potions Professor. He should just push himself away from the man and apologize for waking him and go back to sleep. That’s what his mind was telling him, but his heart couldn’t. Feeling those strong arms braced around him letting him know he was well protected. Still feeling the soothing liquid line his mouth and throat let him know he was well loved.

So instead of answering with what he thought he should say, he answered with how he was feeling. Not wanting to speak, Harry shook his head.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Just thinking about the nightmare, he had brought up more tears. How could he explain to his Da his fear of how his friends will react? That he would be ostracized like he was in grade school. That he would still be known as a freak. Harry pulled his trapped arms from his Da’s grip and wrapped them around his neck.

“It’s alright,” Severus soothed. “Whatever it is, I promise, it will be alright.”

Figuring Harry didn’t want to talk and didn’t want him to leave (not that he would), Severus stood up with his fledgling in his arms and walked to his room so he could be near his child.

Waving his hand, Severus fixed the duvet and sheets that twisted during his haste to get to his boy’s room. He waved his hand again bringing in another pillow for Harry to sleep on.

Severus sat down on the edge of the bed. Putting his hands under Harry’s arms, he tried to push the boy back. He instantly felt resistance. Harry started moaning.

“Harry,” Severus said softly. “I want to see your face. You are not going anywhere.”

After a couple of tugs, Harry relented and sat back on Severus legs, so they were looking at each other. Looking around, Harry noticed that he wasn’t in his room.

“Very good,” Severus praised. “Now, I know you don’t want to talk about your nightmare, but I can’t help you if I don’t know the problem.”

Harry lowered his head until he was looking at his hands in his lap. He felt his Da’s finger lift his chin.

“There is nothing to be ashamed about,” Severus continued. “But it is still late, and I want you to try and get some more sleep.”

Harry sighed, his shoulders sagging. “Okay,” the boy whispered. He began to slide off his Da’s lap when he was met with resistance. Quizzically looking at his Da, Harry saw the hard look on his face.

“Since you had a nightmare,” Severus said. “I don’t want you to suffer another. You will sleep here.”

Harry wanted to be embarrassed about the prospect of sleeping in the same bed, but he couldn’t keep his smile off his face.

That’s what Severus wanted to see. That smile brought back his fledgling’s glow.

“Come on,” Severus said, lightly patting Harry’s hip. “Let’s get in bed. It’s late and there is much I need to do tomorrow.”

Still grinning, Harry crawled over to the bed and scuttled to the other side, pulling the covers over him. Severus shook his head as he stood up to take off his robe. Climbing in the bed as well brought Harry to burrow into his side. Once getting settled, the two vampires went back to sleep.

___000___000___000

Harry was in the sitting room on the sofa, across from the fireplace. Even though the rest of the night was better sleeping with his Da, Harry was still troubled about his dream. Yes, he sent his friends letters, but how would they respond? Would it be like Professor McGonagall said? Just thinking about Hermione and Ron hating him brought dread to his heart.

The hearth turned green bringing Harry out of his thoughts. The anxiety Harry felt was instantly curbed when he saw who stepped out of the fireplace.

“Grandpa!” Harry exclaimed, rushing to Albus’ side, wrapping his arms around the elder wizard.

“My, Harry,” Albus chuckled. “Let me get the dust off of me before I’m tackled with love.”

“Sorry,” Harry said, still smiling.

“Why are you sitting here alone?” Albus asked Harry. Before Harry could answer, Albus asked more. “Where are Severus and Remus?”

Again, Harry didn’t have time to answer as Remus and Severus walked into the room.

“Albus, what are you doing here?” Severus asked.

“I live here,” Albus answered back.

Severus rolled his eyes. “I know that. Why are you here now? You said you weren’t going to come home until next week.”

Albus sighed.

“Take a seat. Give me time to freshen up, and we’ll discuss it,” Albus said, walking out of the room.

“What is going on?” Severus asked. He did not like being out of the know. Remus came home yesterday, and now, Albus is home. Something must have happened.

It didn’t take long for Albus to come back. Severus and Harry were sitting on the sofa. While Remus was in one of the wing-back armchairs. Albus took the other one. He didn’t waste any time before he started talking.

“There are two reasons as to why I’m home early,” Albus said. “One, after you left, Severus, I didn’t have the heart to stay any longer. I sent Remus to get his clothes and I decided I would finish what I needed to do and come home.”

Harry had a small smile on his face. Deep down, even though he wanted all his time to be with his Da, he still would have like everyone home at the same time. Then this place would truly feel like a home.

“And the second,” Severus prompted.

“Have you read today’s Prophet?” Albus asked.

“No,” Severus said, sitting back, wrapping his arm around Harry’s shoulders. “I haven’t had my coffee yet.”

“I wanted to be here when you saw the headlines,” Albus said.

Albus pulled the Prophet from the inside of his robe. Remus paled when he saw the paper. Albus handed it to Severus.

“What’s in the paper that I needed you here for?” Severus said, opening the paper. Severus looked at the headline. His fingers clenched.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 15 by mandancie
Author's Notes:
Everyone is still learning how to handle their feelings.

Severus couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

This can’t be true. It’s impossible.

“Da,” Harry softly called out, shaking Severus’ arm. “What’s wrong?”

Albus looked from Severus to Remus.

Severus looked at Remus. The look on his brother’s face told the Potions Master everything he needed to know.

“You knew,” Severus accused. “You knew about this.”

Remus said nothing. He didn’t even look at his brother.

Harry could feel the anger, no, rage coming from his da. Harry wanted to comfort his da, but when he leaned into Severus’ side, he didn’t feel the warmth he usually did. Harry looked over at Grandpa Albus and didn’t see the usual twinkle in his eyes. Something was very wrong and for the first time since he was bitten, Harry felt true fear. And he didn’t know what to do.

“Answer me, wolf,” Severus growled.

The vampire within Severus was coming out stronger and stronger. His eyes were turning red. The pupils were becoming slits.

“Severus,” Albus warned.

Severus wasn’t hearing anything. His total focus was on his brother. When he didn’t get an answer, Severus growled as he rushed from his seat towards Remus. He gripped the werewolf, pulling him out of the chair. There was a low growl coming from Remus. Before Severus could do any damage, Albus was out of his seat hastily reached for Severus with a strength that didn’t match the age of the man. Albus manhandled both of his sons, knocking Remus on the floor and breaking Severus’ grip on Remus. Albus had Severus against the wall. Remus was lying on the floor from the altercation, his eyes turning amber; the wolf was coming out.

Harry’s eyes were huge, looking at what was happening in front of him.

Severus was growling, trying to snap at Albus. His fangs were exposed. Severus was foaming at the mouth. Severus, the man, was no longer in control. The true vampire was out.

Albus had his hand against Severus’ throat, pinning him so his head was against the wall. The Headmaster knew how much pressure he needed to restrain his son so he wouldn’t hurt Severus. As much strength Severus was using trying to get away from Albus, the Headmaster was able to restrain the vampire with little effort.

Harry didn’t know what to do. His heart was racing. He looked at his new family and thought maybe Professor McGonagall was right. Maybe not staying in the Gryffindor tower was the better idea.

As he continued to watch what was happening in front of him, conflicting feelings were boiling in Harry: fear and rage. He didn’t know which to act on. Part of the child wanted to run away. The other wanted to defend his da. He didn’t like how his da was being restrained. A low growl sounded from the fledgling’s throat.

Albus didn’t bother with talking to Severus. He knew the vampire was too far gone. There was no talking his way in calming his son down. As one hand was wrapped around Severus’ throat, the other was lying flat against his heart.

Albus has been dealing with his sons’ rages since they were teens. He knew how to handle them. He loved his sons. He was protective of his sons. And there was no way he would let anyone hurt them because of what they were. It had been a long time since his boys got to this level. Yes, he was able to contain both. He wasn’t the most powerful wizard for nothing. Even when it happened at the same time, which was about to happen now, he was still able to contain them. Deep down, he just knew he was getting too old for this.

Albus couldn’t reason with Severus, but he could with Remus. The good thing about Remus was that even if the wolf came out, if it wasn’t a full moon, Remus would still hear Albus to calm him down.

“Remus,” Albus’ tone was cold as steel. “I will not have fighting in this house.”

Even with Albus not looking at his oldest son, his power could quell Moony’s rage.

“He attacked me,” Remus growled, as he stood up.

“And I am dealing with your brother.”

There was a low growl that cut into the two’s talk. Remus looked over at Harry and the werewolf’s rage doubled.

Harry’s eyes turned red. He was trembling as well as growling. Harry was curled on the couch. His feet were under him, knees bent, muscles taut. Using the couch as a trampoline, Harry catapulted in the air. His goal: getting to his da to protect him. His efforts were thwarted when arms wrapped around Harry’s waist, stopping him in mid-air.

Harry’s sight to his goal was stopped. His vision blurred as he was pulled back against the couch and pinned down. This time Harry’s fear overwhelmed his rage. He was looking up at an irate, angry werewolf. Remus growled over him. Harry’s growl turned to a whimper. Tears brimmed the fledgling’s eyes.

Hearing the whine of his fledgling caused Severus’ vision to clear. The rage was still there, but Severus, the man, was starting to come back to the forefront, meaning Albus would be able to talk to his son and calm Severus down. Severus could feel his father’s magic soothing him, trying to bring him back to himself. Severus looked over Albus’ shoulder and saw Remus pinning down his son.

“Get off my fledgling,” Severus ordered. 

“He will learn his place,” Remus growled.

Remus had Harry’s hand pinned above his head. A keening noise escaped Harry’s lips causing a change in both men. Remus’ grip loosened as he sat up. Tears blurred Severus’ eyes. The soft wailing was as if a knife was piercing through Severus’ heart.

“Let me go to my fledgling,” Severus growled hoarsely.

Severus was coming back to himself, but the vampire was still present.

Albus could feel Severus’ heart calming down. His grip on his son wasn’t as intense as before. The hand that was around Severus’ throat loosened to where his fingers were rubbing soothing circles, trying to relieve the tension in Severus’ neck.

Harry’s whining started to get louder. Tears streaming into the boy’s hair. He wasn’t fighting Remus’ hold on him. Harry was petrified.

“I need all three of you to calm down,” Albus ordered.

“I need my fledgling,” Severus pleaded.

“Are you calming down?” Albus asked.

Severus looked at his adopted father and nodded.

“If I let you go, will you act like the civilized man I know you can be?” Albus asked.

Severus could feel the disappointment coming from Albus. Shame coursed through him, his bottom lip quivered, realizing how he just acted. He lowered his head as much as he could. Severus knew he was above this. Severus was ashamed. He almost attacked his brother, his fledgling was scared, and his father was angry. Severus closed his eyes.   

A curled finger lifted Severus’ chin; he was looking at Albus.

“None of that,” Albus said soothingly.

Severus saw Albus’ eyes weren’t cold. His eyes showed compassion that Severus knew he didn’t deserve.

Albus’ hand snaked to the back of Severus’ neck and pulled his son into an embrace.

“I know you are upset,” Albus whispered in Severus’ ear. “We will get through this. As a family. I will not have my sons fighting each other. This family will stay together.”

Severus heard the steely determination in Albus’ voice that demanded obedience.

“Remus,” Albus called out. “Step away from Harry and leave.”

Remus released Harry’s hands and stood from the sofa. When he walked past Albus and Severus, Remus saw that Albus tightened his arms.

“You will speak with your brother later,” Albus said softly. To Remus he said, “Go to my study. We have things to talk about.”

Remus didn’t say anything. He knew when Albus made an order it was to be followed to the letter. Remus slowly headed towards the stairs.

Albus pushed Severus to arm’s length. “Go calm down my grandson,” Albus said. “But do not leave this room until I come back. I do not want a repeat of what just happened.”

Severus nodded. Albus once again curled his finger under Severus’ chin and made the Potions Master look at him. Severus knew the unspoken command.

“I understand, dad,” Severus said quietly.

“It will be fine,” Albus said, backing away from Severus and leaving the sitting room.

When Remus left the sitting room, Harry curled himself into the corner of the sofa as if he was trying to disappear into the cushions.

When Albus left, Severus looked at his fledgling and could feel his child’s fear. Slowly he walked towards Harry. Sitting down next to Harry, reaching out to pull the child towards him, Harry flinched away not wanting Severus to touch him.

“No,” Harry whined.

“Fledgling,” Severus whispered. “I’m here. I—.”

“I want grandpa,” Harry squealed. “I need grandpa!”

Harry jumped from the sofa and ran out of the room. Severus, shocked, sat looking at the spot of the sofa where Harry was just sitting.

___000___000___000

When Albus walked into his study, he saw Remus sitting in one of the chairs across from his desk. His head bowed. Albus sighed. He loved his sons. He hated how they were raised. Every time they felt they were in trouble with him or knew that they did something to disappoint Albus, they would have this fear that they would be beaten.

Albus walked over to Remus, putting his hand on the werewolf’s shoulder.

Remus tried to move away from Albus’ hand.

The flinching Albus witnessed made him wish Remus’ father was still alive.

The same promise Albus told Severus, he told Remus. “I am not Lyall. I will never touch you in anger. You are safe with me.”

“I know,” Remus said. “I was deep in thought. I didn’t hear you come in.”

Albus walked around his desk and sat down.

“You know better than to lie to me,” Albus said, smirking. “I know you heard me walking down the hallway.”

That brought a little levity into the room. It didn’t feel so tense. Getting right to the issue, Albus asked, “When did you learn about the escape?”

“I saw it while I was at Diagon Alley,” Remus said.

“I take it you were not contacted before arriving at Hogwarts. I’ve seen you and James stick up for the boy before.”

“I swear, I didn’t know,” Remus pleaded. “I didn’t. I was just as surprised when I saw the headline.”

Albus was going to say something else, when he was interrupted by Harry rushing into the room. The boy went straight to Albus, wrapping his arms around the elder man’s neck, burying his face in the crook of Albus’ neck. Albus instantly wrapped his arms around his grandson, pulling the small child onto his lap.

“We’ll continue this later,” Albus said with finality, letting Remus know he was excused.

Remus walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Albus could feel Harry’s shoulders shaking. He rocked from side to side, humming a tune he used when either Severus or Remus was distraught. Albus didn’t try to talk to the boy. He waited for Harry to calm himself.

After a few minutes, Harry’s sobs turned to just sniffles.

“Are you ready to talk, Little one?” Albus asked. The tone of his voice was back to the grandfatherly tone Harry was used to.

Harry was still buried in Albus’ robes.

“I don’t want to stay,” Harry’s muffled voice came through.

Albus heart sunk. What has happened?

“You don’t want to stay with us anymore?” Albus asked. “Please, do not take what happened downstairs as something that happens all the time.”

It had only been two days, and Harry wasn’t comfortable with them. Harry shook his head against Albus’ shoulder.

“Professor McGonagall was right,” Harry cried, lifting his head, so he could look at Albus. “I’m a monster.”

Harry lowered his head, wanting comfort, leaning against Albus’ shoulder.

“No,” Albus said brooking no argument. He lifted Harry and stood the child in front of him between his spread knees. “You are not a monster. And I don’t ever want to hear you talk like that again. Do you understand?”

Harry was shocked silent by the tone of Albus’ voice, but at the same time, he couldn’t help but feel loved at the Headmaster’s conviction.

“Professor McGonagall was not right,” Albus continued. “Do you understand?”

Harry nodded.

“No.” Albus shook his head. “Verbal response.”

“Yes, sir.”

Albus’ eyes twinkled, and a smile widened on the man’s face. “Very good. Now, do you want to explain what’s going on with you?”

“I didn’t like what happened downstairs,” Harry confessed. “I don’t like feeling like that. It was scary. I’ll move out of the Tower. I don’t want it to be like that with Hermione and Ron.”

“What is it that you think will happen?”

“I almost attacked you,” Harry said. “Da and Uncle Remus were fighting. I don’t like feeling like that. It’s scary. I could do that to Ron and Hermione! I don’t want to hurt them. They’re my friends.”

“You won’t,” Albus assured. “And between me, Severus, and Remus, we will teach you how to control it.”

“But I was scared,” Harry whispered.

“I’m sure,” Albus said, bringing Harry into an embrace, pulling the boy up on his lap again. Harry absentmindedly twirling his fingers in Albus’ beard. “It was very intense downstairs.”

Harry nodded.

They were silent for a second when Harry spoke.

“Do you think Da’s mad at me?” Harry asked.

Albus’ brow furrowed as he tilted his head so he could look at Harry.

“Why would Severus be angry with you?”

“I needed to come to you. To make sure you weren’t mad at me.”

Albus nodded his understanding. “You thought since your instincts wanted you to attack me because of what happened in the sitting room that I would be angry at you?”

Not wanting to voice his wrong deed, Harry nodded, leaning more into Albus scared that his grandpa would reject him.

Albus chuckled, tightening his arms around Harry, pulling him closer.

“Dear, child, do you think that was the first time it has happened?” Albus asked. “I would never stop loving you. I would never stop caring for you. You’re my grandchild now. And besides those two were always at each other’s throat for one thing or another. And I love them just the same. This is just another disagreement. It will get better.”

___000___000___000

Severus was still on the sofa. He couldn’t move.

What just happened? Everything was going fine. He rejected me.

Severus felt like he couldn’t breathe.

“Sev. I swear to you, I didn’t know.”

Severus said nothing.

Remus walked into the sitting room and sat at the spot Harry just vacated.

“I don’t like it when we fight,” Remus pleaded. “I promise. I just found out this morning.”

Severus looked up at Remus. Looking at his brother, Remus knew this demeanor wasn’t because of their dispute; this was something else.

“Severus,” Remus said, scooting closer to his brother, cupping the Potions Master’s face. “Severus.”

Severus made no indication outside of blinking, of making any movement.

“DAD!”

___000___000___000

“Are you feeling better?” Albus asked, looking down at the small child leaning on his shoulder.

Harry nodded. “Yeah, better.”

“DAD!”

The yelling got both of their attention. Albus lowered Harry to the floor and both went to find out whatever the problem was.

Walking into the sitting room, Albus and Harry saw Remus trying to get Severus’ attention.

“What happened?” Albus asked, moving towards his sons.

“I didn’t do this,” Remus said quickly, standing up.

“I didn’t say you did,” Albus soothing Remus.

Albus sat down where Remus just vacated.

“Oh, Severus. What am I going to do with you boys?” Albus smiled sadly, cupping Severus’ face.

Harry slowly walked closer to Severus. He didn’t understand what was going on. The child was feeling things that didn’t make sense. Anger. Fear. Hatred.

“Da,” Harry whispered.

Instantly, Severus snapped out of his catatonic state and rushed to Harry at a speed that surprised Albus and Remus. A strained gargle sound came out of the child when Severus bit down on the boy’s neck.

For a second, neither Albus nor Remus tried to stop what was happening. Realizing what was happening, they rushed to the two vampires. Like the first encounter, Albus and Remus had to separate the vampires. Severus was trying to kill Harry. Again, Remus had a now unconscious Harry in his arms, and Albus had his arms wrapped around Severus.

“Take Harry to your room,” Albus ordered.

Albus apparated Severus to the Safe Room closed off in the basement.

When Albus had the cottage built, he did so with his sons in mind. He loved his boys. He didn’t see their affliction as handicaps but as ailments. He designed a Safe Room for when things became unmanageable. The only way in was by apparating. Albus was the only one who could apparate in, and he was the only way his sons could come out of that room.

Albus was adamant that his sons were not monsters. But he wasn’t naïve to what they were capable of. He knew if Severus didn’t take his potions, or his emotions were elevated, he could be dangerous. When he first adopted Severus, it was for this very reason.

In Severus’ third year, there was an attack at the school. Many of the students were safe, but there were a few that were hurt. Thankfully none of them were killed. Severus was in detention, serving it in the Forbidden Forest, picking a few potions ingredients with Professor Slughorn. Severus somehow got separated from Slughorn and was attacked. When Severus was found, he was barely alive.

Severus’ change was incomplete. Unlike Harry who was able to drink from Severus, Severus didn’t drink from his attacker. So, they had to improvise. Horace brewed a potion that satisfied Severus’ blood thirst and kept the boy alive. But it wasn’t a cure, only a Band-Aid. Albus studied on how he could save the child and learned that blood from another creature would keep Severus alive.

Once Severus was stabilized, Albus sent for Remus. Remus had been with Albus since the child was ten. Albus was the one to visit Remus’ family, letting them know that he would attend Hogwarts. Hearing how his father, Lyall, treated Remus and made him feel didn’t sit well with the Headmaster. Having a strange feeling, Albus returned to Remus’ home and learned how Remus was treated. The Headmaster removed the child from his parents that night. It wasn’t hard to convince his parents as they didn’t want Remus around anyway. Between Remus, Albus and Horace, they were able to save Severus.

It was a closed off 9’x9’ room. No doors. No windows. There was a bed, small table and chair. In the far corner was a small curtain off loo.

Albus sat Severus down on the bed and pulled out the chair and sat by the bed.

“What is going on with you?” Albus asked, looking at his son.

Severus glared at Albus but didn’t answer.

“You will not leave this room, so you might as well talk,” Albus said.

Albus waved his hand and a small cup of tea floated next to him. He was angry with Severus, but he knew he needed to calm down.

“Father, this is absurd,” Severus growled.

“I don’t think so,” Albus calmly said. “You attacked your fledgling.”

“I have no fledgling,” Severus said, crossing his arms across his chest.

Albus looked at the Potions Master sitting across from him. He wanted to be amused at how childish Severus was behaving, but the circumstances were anything but amusing.

“Then who is young Harry?” Albus asked, sipping his tea.

“A waste.”

Albus’ clear blue eyes turned cold. It’d been a long time he’d had to punish his sons. He told his boys that he never raised a hand to them, and that was true, but that didn’t stop him from punishing them. How Severus was acting was unacceptable.

___000___000___000

Remus waved his hand over Harry’s neck, closing the bite. He walked into Harry’s room and sat down on the bed. Harry cradled on his lap. Remus spoke softly to Harry trying to get the child out of the state he was in.

Harry stared blankly across the room. His emerald eyes that used to have light in them were dull. Harry didn’t understand what just happened, but he knew whatever it was it hurt deep down; it was worse than any beating his uncle ever gave him.

“Come on, my cub,” Remus said softly. “Talk to me. Let me hear your voice.”

Remus brought Harry closer, rocking from side to side. He hated this. Remus wished he never went to Diagon Alley. If he didn’t go, then he wouldn’t have known that Sirius escaped, and none of this would have happened.

___000___000___000

“A waste,” Albus growled. “How dare you?”

“Oh, please,” Severus growled.

Severus stood up and started pacing inside the small room.

“I knew this was a bad idea. He’s just liked his father. Arrogant. Spoilt. Thinks he is too good to be with the Bat of the Dungeon. He shouldn’t have been turned. I told you that. And then after all that, he rejects me anyway.”

Albus said nothing. He just watched his son pace back and forth spewing lies after lies. The more Severus talked the angrier Albus was becoming. Albus stood up, waving his hand making the teacup disappear.

“Enough,” Albus’ voice boomed, reverberating off the wall of the enclosed room.

Severus stopped instantly, turning to face Albus. He noticed the temperature dropped. Looking at Albus, he knew his adopted father was angry.

“Do you hear yourself?” Albus asked. “Do you hear how idiotic you sound? At what point while we were at his relatives’ house, what made you believe that child was spoiled? His clothes? The work they made him do?”

Severus said nothing. He lowered his head, looking at the floor. He knew he was out of line saying that. He was hurt and he lashed out.

“My eyes are up here,” Albus growled.

Severus looked into those ice-cold blue eyes, and it felt like he would be sick.

“You accuse that child of being arrogant. The only spoilt, arrogant child in this house is you.”

Severus took a step back. The anger and hurt he was feeling earlier, quickly evaporated.

“You turned your back on your fledgling,” Albus accused.

“He rejected me,” Severus said, but his tone showed he wasn’t as confident with that assessment as he was before. “He left me.”

“He rejected you?” Albus shook his head. “He left you? Do you have any idea of what happened? Did you even use your bond to see what he was feeling?” Albus walked up on Severus. They were standing face to face. “Did you? No! You didn’t.”

Albus stepped away from Severus, trying to calm down. The Headmaster took several deep breaths, holding the air in for a while and slowly releasing it. He promised that he would never come to his sons in anger, and he was going to keep that promise.

Seeing Albus step away from him, Severus felt a different hurt. A hurt that he truly killed something between them. That everything everyone said about him was true. Tobias was right. James Potter was right. Lucius Malfoy was right. The Dark Lord was right. Everything he touched becomes destroyed.

Albus turned and faced his son. His tone was quiet.

“Your fledgling came to me because he was scared about his reaction to me while I was restraining you. You were so set on attacking your brother, did you not even know that Harry went into a blood rage wanting to protect you? That single act scared him. He was afraid of what he would do. The child believed that he should stay away from his friends. He assumed I was cross with him because he tried to attack me.”

Severus’ heart broke listening to his dad. He destroys everything. He was too upset to reply.

“Your fledgling,” Albus said, putting emphasis on “your,” “came running to you when Remus called us. He was coming to soothe you when you attacked him.”

Severus lowered his head. Tears burned his eyes. Regret and heartbreak crushed his soul. He couldn’t even look at his father anymore.

“If anyone rejected someone,” Albus said softly, “it was you.”

Severus looked up to meet Albus’ eyes. They were not as cold as they were before. They were now filled with disappointment. Severus didn’t try to stop the tears that flowed down his cheeks.  

“You think about that,” Albus said.

He apparated away, leaving Severus alone in the safe room. 

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 16 by mandancie
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta’ing my chapter.

A/N: I deeply apologize for the lack of updates. I know it’s been over a year since I’ve last posted, and I’m sorry. I hope that it won’t take me this long to update again. *fingers crossed*

Enjoy!

Chapter 16 

Albus appeared in the kitchen and sighed. This was not how he wanted this summer to go. Trying to calm his nerves, he busied himself making breakfast. When his boys were younger, he found that doing something menial usually got him to calm his nerves when there were days like this. Being a well-renowned wizard, Albus could easily wave his wand, and their breakfast would be ready and waiting for everyone to sit and enjoy. But he didn’t want that. Taking his time, he could lose himself in the repetition of the meal while meditating on what was on his mind at the time.

As he gathered all the supplies and food he needed, he thought over everything that happened: Harry being turned, Remus coming home. His family was growing. Once again, he was having to deal with Minerva’s prejudice. And now, an escaped ex-student. All that on top of two stubborn, temperamental, prideful men he had the honor of calling sons.

A slight chuckle slipped from Albus’ lips as he shook his head. His life is never dull.

___000___000___000

Remus held Harry, and he refused to put the child down. While rocking Harry, he noticed that the child had fallen asleep. He hoped that the rest could ease some of the boy's hurt.

This whole thing has been one disaster after another, Remus thought.

Movement in his arms brought Remus out of his musing.

“Harry,” Remus whispered, looking down at the child on his lap.

Remus saw Harry’s tear-pooled emerald eyes staring in the distance. The last Marauder’s heart broke for the child.

“I’ll always be a freak,” Harry murmured to himself. 

“What?” Remus asked as he looked down at his nephew in his arms. He tried and failed to keep his growling out of his tone.

Harry was startled out of his inner thoughts and realized that he was with Remus. Fear entered his eyes as he looked up at the werewolf, and he remembered the feeling of being pinned down by him, and Remus was scary. 

Harry squirmed, trying to get out of Remus’ grasp.

Remus tried to keep a hold of the child, but he found that the boy was hard to keep still.

“Please, Harry,” Remus pleaded. “Calm down.”

“No!” Harry yelled. “Get away from me.”

“Harry, please,” Remus pleaded. 

“I want my da!” Harry apparated off Remus’ lap.

“Harry!”

___000___000___000

Severus was sitting on the small cot in the room. Rummaging in his pocket, he remembered the shrunken items from Harry’s cupboard he put there. Pulling them out, he resized them. 


The blue blanket looked old, dirty, and tattered; it was too small for Harry to use sufficient coverage from the cold. He put the cloth under his nose and took a deep breath. Severus could smell his fledgling all over the fabric. Tears burned his eyes, and he remembered what he did to the boy. 


He tried to kill him. 


He wasn’t meant to be with anyone. 


Everything he touched, he destroyed.


Severus dropped the blanket on his lap and looked at the toys. A headless soldier riding horseback; the paint chipped, the sword it should have been holding in his outstretched arm was broken. Another toy was of a green soldier, but it was also headless. 


Severus’ heart shattered, looking at these items. Harry wasn’t spoiled. He was neglected, he was abused and now rejected. Severus dropped the toys and buried his head in his hand.


The sound of an apparition pop brought Severus from his musings. 


___000___000___000

Remus rushed downstairs in search of his adopted father. 


“Dad,” Remus shouted. 


“In the kitchen,” Albus said. “Bring Harry with you. Breakfast is almost ready.”


“That’s the thing,” Remus said, standing in the doorway. “Harry’s gone. He apparated from my arms.”


For a second, Albus was worried about where his grandson was, but just as instantly, the anxiety disappeared. A small smile graced his lips.


“All is fine, Remus,” Albus soothed. “Come sit. We’ll have breakfast as a family.”



___000___000___000

Hearing an apparition pop, Severus figured he was getting another lecture from his father, as he was the only one that could come in or out of the room. But the voice he heard wasn’t Albus.


“Da.”


Severus’ head popped up. Harry was standing in front of him. His brow creased as he was unsure how Harry got in the room.


“Fledgling,” Severus said softly. “I’m so sorry.”


“It’s my fault,” Harry said quickly. “I knew I would mess things up. Just like my uncle said: I’m a freak.”


A low growl escaped Severus’ throat as he reached out and gripped Harry’s arms. The items on his lap fell to the floor, and he pulled the boy onto his lap. 


Gripping the child’s face in his cupped hands, “You are not a freak. And I will keep telling you that until you believe me.”


“But I did something bad,” Harry exclaimed.


“No,” Severus said, shaking his head. “I did. My insecurities reared their ugly head. Things I’ve been battling…”


Harry could feel the remorse coming from his da. He reached out and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.


Severus gasped at the surprised hug, returning the hug just as fiercely. Tears streamed down his face at the second chance he was getting and the event he would never take for granted.


___000___000___000

Minerva walked down the corridor heading to the gargoyle. Saying the password, Minerva waited.


Nothing happened.


Minerva creased her forehead. This shouldn’t be. Being a curious cat, she knew a spot on the stone griffin, even though Albus only permitted Severus and Remus to know where it was. Minerva had her ways. 


Reaching for the spot, she smirked to herself for her ingeniousness, feeling that she one-upped Albus. The smirk disappeared when nothing happened; the area didn’t work. She knew this was the right spot. She has seen Severus hitting that spot several times.


Minerva huffed her annoyance and turned away from the entrance. A slight smirk appeared on the stoned griffin gargoyle.


Poppy was in her office getting her final filing finished. She was ready to head home. It has been a long year.


“Poppy.”


Poppy lowered her head, sighing. She didn’t get this many visitors during the school year.  But now, she couldn’t get a minute’s peace. And the last person she wanted to talk to was Minerva. 


“In here, Minerva,” Poppy sighed. 


Minerva walked into Poppy’s office. 


“How can I help you, Minerva?” Poppy asked, walking over to put her last files away. 


“Are you leaving?” Minerva asked.


“Trying,” Poppy said. “I want some time with my sister.”


“I understand,” Minerva said, nodding. “Have you talked to Albus recently?”


“Yesterday,” Poppy answered. “He told me he was heading home.”


“What do you think about what happened to Harry?” Minerva asked, stepping closer to Poppy’s desk.


“It doesn’t matter what I think,” Poppy shrugged, waving her wand bringing her small suitcase to her desk. “Just make the best of it.”


“He’s dangerous now,” Minerva said. 


“Minerva, really?” Poppy stopped packing and looked at the Transfiguration Professor.


“The first year of transformation is hard for a vampire,” Minerva said. “He can’t control his blood rage.”


“Yes,” Poppy agreed. “But that is if the young vampire is alone, and Harry’s not alone. Severus is here, and Remus will be here to help out.” 


“Please,” Minerva scoffed. “Severus Snape and Harry Potter. Do you really believe that pairing will work? You remember how Severus was when Harry arrived. Do you really believe that he’s instantly changed?”


Poppy said nothing. 


“I need your assistance during this school year,” Minerva said. 


“What?” Poppy asked incredulously. 


“I can’t have Harry in the Tower. The only way I can get him out is with a recommendation from you that he will be too dangerous.”


“I can’t do that,” Poppy said, astonished by what Minerva was asking. “Harry isn’t dangerous.”


“He is,” Minerva said. “And I need to keep my other Gryffindors safe. I know you will do the right thing.”


Poppy was shocked, speechless at Minerva’s attitude.


“Have a wonderful holiday,” Minerva said, leaving the Infirmary.


___000___000___000

Albus finished making breakfast. Albus filled the table with eggs, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, sausages, and scones. Albus tended to overdo it when he has a lot on his mind. Remus wanted to smile at the abundant amount of food on the table, but the fear he saw in Harry’s eyes before the child apparated was like a stone in his gut. He didn’t like that feeling. Harry was scared of him. Remus didn’t intend to frighten the boy. He only wanted to restrain him. He couldn’t eat with this guilt growing inside him. 


“I’ll be back,” Albus said, apparating out of the kitchen.


When he arrived in the secluded room, he saw his son cradling his fledgling.


“If I let you eat at the table,” Albus said. “Will you act like the respectful adult I know you can be?”


“Yes.” Severus nodded. 


“Harry, my boy,” Albus said soothingly. “Can you come to me?”


Albus sat on the chair that was across from Severus.


Harry’s grip tightened around Severus’ neck. He didn’t want to let go. Even though Grandpa Albus said he wasn’t upset by him almost attacking him, Harry was still worried that he messed things up between them.


Severus lightly tapped on his back, somehow letting him know it would be alright. Sliding off his Da’s lap, Harry walked over to his Grandpa. 


“Hey, Grandpa,” Harry said softly. Harry stood in front of Albus, head down like he would do when facing his Uncle Vernon.


“Harry, dear child, are you hungry?” Albus asked.


Harry’s brow furrowed as his head snapped up looking at Albus. He was not expecting that question to be asked.


“Uh, yeah.” Harry shrugged. 


“Wonderful,” Albus said cheerfully, clapping his hands. “Let’s go have breakfast. Remus is waiting for us.”


Albus gripped Harry’s hand as he stood up. 


“Grandpa?”


“Yes, Harry.”


“Where are we?” Harry asked, now that he was getting a good look around the closed-off room.


Albus reached out for Severus. The Potions Master stood and grabbed the outstretched hand. 


“This is a kind of time-out for when my boys are naughty,” Albus said, smirking at a red-faced Severus. “Hold tight,” was Albus’ only warning before apparating his family out of the room into the kitchen. 


“So, as long as you are well behaved,” Albus continued talking to Harry, “you won’t have to worry about that room.”


Albus put his hand on Harry’s shoulder and walked him towards the table, giving him a plate.


Remus got up and went to his brother, who was still standing where he landed.


“I’m sorry, Severus,” Remus said. “I honestly didn’t know.”


Severus looked at Remus and could tell that his brother was telling the truth. Deep down he knew that Remus would never purposely hurt him like that, but it didn’t make the memories of the torment he went through because of Black go away.


Severus nodded and walked around Remus and sat down next to Harry at the table. 


Remus sighed and walked back to his seat. Sitting across from Harry, Remus saw the fear that Harry was showing towards him. Remus didn’t like that look. It was the same look he got from his parents. That look of fear ate away at the werewolf. 


Severus noticed the tense looks between his brother and his fledgling. 


Remus wanted to get up and leave, but Albus gripped the werewolf’s wrist, keeping him seated.   


___000___000___000

Breakfast was a quiet affair. It was a direct contrast to what happened earlier that morning. There wasn’t much talking, but it was tense. Afterward, everyone went their separate ways. 


Harry got to his room and saw that Hedwig returned. With the morning he’d had, he really hoped that the letters that Hedwig was holding would have some good news in them. 


Harry took the letter while giving his owl a small treat. Both Ron and Hermione replied to his letters. 


Taking a deep breath, Harry sat at the desk and read his friends’ letters. 


Harry,

I’m glad to hear that you are away from your relatives. Means that Fred, George, and I won’t have to come get you again. You never said where you were. Who are you with? (Okay, so he chickened out on telling them everything. He didn’t want to explain everything in a letter.) Is it safer than before? I would love to come over, but we just won the lottery! We are going to Egypt. We’ll be gone for a whole month. We’ll be back a week before school starts. Maybe I can see where you are then.

Well, I have to go. Mum wants us to pack our things. The portkey is scheduled for tonight. I’ll see if I can find you something. 

Later, Harry.

Ron 

 

~~~

Hello Harry,

I’m so glad to hear from you. I’m happy that you are away from your relatives. I don’t know what you’ve been through, but I know it wasn’t good. I’ve seen how closed off you were when we arrived at the train. I hope wherever you are you are happy. 

My holiday is going great. We went to Austria. We are in Salzburg, after that, we’re going to Linz. We’re ending the trip going to Italy. These places are breathtaking. We’ve seen Hohensalzburg Castle, Mirabell Palace. I’ve taken plenty of pictures. (I can’t wait to show you.) That was while we were in Salzburg. When we get to Linz, we’re going to see some of the cathedrals. The last destination will be some time in Italy. 

I’ll write to you again when we get home. It should be two weeks before school starts.

Have fun wherever you are. I’ll try to get you a souvenir. 

Love,

Hermione

 

Harry liked that his friends were seeing all those different places. If he received these letters last week Harry would probably be envious of his friends’ vacations. But now that he’s gotten a new family, going to Austria or Africa doesn’t seem outside the realm of possibilities. 


That thought made Harry smile.


Harry was sitting at his desk when there was a knock on the door. 


“Harry,” Remus called out softly.


A small shiver ran up Harry’s spine. There was still some fear of what happened earlier. But Harry also knew that deep down Remus wouldn’t hurt him. It was a scary encounter. 


“Harry, can I come in?”


Hearing how vulnerable Remus sounded made Harry turn and face his uncle. 


“Yeah,” Harry said softly.


Remus walked in and sat on the end of the bed, facing the desk. “I know what happened this morning was frightening.”


Harry nodded his agreement.


“I didn’t mean to scare you,” Remus confessed. “I hope you know I would never hurt you.”


There was a pregnant pause. Remus didn’t think that Harry would respond. He was about to stand when Harry spoke up.


“It was scary,” Harry said. “The whole thing.”


“I know,” Remus agreed. “Do you want to talk about what happened?”


“I don’t know,” Harry said. “I’m not scared of you as much as I’m scared of myself.”


“There was fear in your eyes,” Remus said. 


“Yeah,” Harry agreed. “I was scared of myself. I don’t like this. This side of me. I almost attacked Grandpa.”


“If I could take what I did to you back, I would.”


Remus and Harry turned towards the door. Severus was leaning against the door frame.


“I was reckless,” Severus said, walking over towards Harry. “I should have taken care of myself. I put you and anyone around me in danger.”


Harry could feel his Da’s regret and remorse.


“Da,” Harry said, cutting Severus off. “No! I told you I don’t mind what happened to me. You gave me a family.”


“Harry,” Severus said, crouching in front of Harry.


“I’m scared of hurting Ron and Hermione,” Harry confessed. “I don’t want to hurt them like I almost hurt Grandpa.”


Severus stood up picking Harry up off the desk chair, sitting down on it himself, and placing Harry on his lap. 


“Listen, Harry,” Severus said, situating Harry so he was laying against his shoulder. “Do you remember when I told you that your emotions were more heightened because you were just turned?”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded, absentmindedly snuggling closer, getting more comfortable.


Severus and Remus looked at each other. Remus got the hint that he was no longer needed, and he got up and left.


“Well,” Severus continued, “this is part of that. This was the first time you had a complete blood rage. Right now, it will only happen if you feel that there is a threat against me. As your powers mature, it will most likely extend towards Remus, Albus, and your friends.”


“Da, is there a chance I could attack Ron and Hermione?” Harry asked, looking up at Severus.


Severus wanted to say no, that he wouldn’t attack them. He said the same thing about himself; that he would never attack anyone. And proof that he lied to himself is in his arms right now. Not wanting to lie to his fledgling, he answered the best way he could.


“I will not say never,” Severus said, sighing. “I will say that if you practice taking care of yourself, listening to your body, you can spend as much time with your friends as you want. Do not underestimate yourself.”


___000___000___000 

It had been ten days since the news of Sirius’ escape was in the paper. Though there haven’t been any more fights, there was a little tension between Remus and Severus even though they haven’t been talking. 


Severus was in his laboratory working on several of the potions that were needed for the Infirmary. He had five cauldrons all in different stages of brewing. 


Remus stood in the doorway of the lab, knocking on the frame. 


“Severus, can we talk?”


“I’m in a good spot,” Severus replied.


“Where’s Harry?” Remus asked, walking further into the laboratory.


“Albus wanted to spend the day with him,” Severus replied.


“Severus,” Remus started. “I owe you an apology.”


“Remus-”


“No,” raising his hand to halt Severus from talking, “let me say this. I didn’t know about the breakout from Azkaban. Not until the evening before you did.”


“Remus, listen,” Severus said. “I overreacted. My insecurities started this whole thing. Old hurts from the past came rushing back when I saw his name.”


“I don’t want this to jeopardize our friendship. And I don’t like this tension between us.”


Severus nodded. Before Harry, he was never one to deal with his feelings. He and Remus always had an understanding between them. 


“Albus talked to you?” Severus asked after a bit of awkward silence.


A small smirk skirted the side of Remus’ mouth. “You know how dad is.”


“Meddling old coot is what he is,” Severus said, turning back to his potions.


Remus couldn’t help but chuckle at that. “Need any help, seeing as your helper is away.”


“No,” Severus said. “I’m almost done. Once they’re finished and cooling, I’ll take a break.” 


Remus nodded and clapped Severus on the shoulder. 


The sound of the back door opened and a voice yelling, “Da, Uncle Remus, we’re back.”


“As if we couldn’t hear it,” Severus said, sighing. 


“Come on,” Remus said. “You know Dad is going to want to know if we’ve made up.”


“Meddling old fool,” Severus grumbled as he extinguished the fires under each cauldron. 


TBC


To be continued...
End Notes:
A/N: Thank you to everyone who stuck with me. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.


Please leave a review letting me know what you think.


Hugs and kisses!


Mandancie!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3308