The Unwanted One by Amy
Summary: Harry has always wished for someone to care, for a family of his own. On his birthday, he finds out that a certain Potions Master is his father, but Severus has finally settled into life with his other son. Can Harry finally have the family he has longed for, or will he always be the unwanted one?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 102974 Read: 186213 Published: 17 Mar 2016 Updated: 25 Mar 2020
The Little Things by Amy

As he headed down for breakfast the next morning, Harry found himself in a rather good mood, which was a pleasant surprise considering it had been quite a while since he'd felt anything close to being happy. He couldn't help giving a faint smile as he remembered the unexpected praise he'd received from his father last night. It was an unfamiliar feeling, one where he assumed most kids his age must already be used to from their parents, but Harry had never had anyone to please before, and he certainly didn't think he would ever get the chance to. It further motivated him to put more effort into his work going forward.

Just as Harry was about to set foot into the dining room, he froze, hovering a bit awkwardly in the doorway.

There was someone already in his usual seat.

"Harry," Snape said from the head of the table. "Come sit down."

The person— a women, with a smooth arrogant face, and long dark brown hair flowing neatly down her back— turned her attention towards him, her sharp blue eyes narrowing as they swept over him, regarding Harry coldly. This must be Kieran's mother, Harry supposed, noticing a resemblance between the two.

For a moment, Harry hesitated, contemplating which seat he should take, before he decided to sit next to Kieran. He definitely didn't want to sit next to her, and would have preferred to sit at the other end of the table away from the both of them.

"This is Clarice, Kieran's mother," Snape said, nodding his head at the woman. "She will be joining us on our trip to Diagon Alley."

"Hullo," Harry murmured.

Clarice sat up straighter, gazing down her nose at him.

"So, you are the great Harry Potter," she said, her sarcastic tone hard to miss. Harry didn't like the look she was giving him, staring at him as if there was something foul smelling under her nose. Even though Clarice didn't openly glare at him, like Kieran had, Harry could still sense the same underlying contempt from her.

He didn't really know how to respond to that, and thankfully, he didn't have to, as at that moment, their breakfast appeared on the table in front of them. Everyone began tucking into their breakfast, and Harry was glad there was now something to distract him from this uncomfortable situation.

Harry had a bowl of porridge again and was swirling his spoon in it, mixing all the fruit in, when Kieran began talking enthusiastically to his parents. Harry listened as Kieran recounted his days here to his mother, who would often nod her approval or ask little questions to keep the conversation moving. There was a noticeable warmth to Clarice's eyes as she spoke with Kieran, which were a drastic difference to when they had landed on Harry a few minutes before, and Harry didn't even attempt to wonder why that was, seeing as he was no where near figuring out Kieran. Though as every second passed he was liking Kieran's mother just as much as he was liking Kieran. There was the same attitude towards Harry that both mother and son seemed to share.

Occasionally, Kieran would include Snape in their conversation, directing it his way when relaying the many times they went flying together. Though his father didn't contribute much to the retelling, only offering a stiff nod here and there.

It brought about a pang to his chest when Harry listened to Kieran describe how much fun he had flying with his father.

Must be great to have a father that would do that with you, Harry thought bitterly. He doesn't know how lucky he is.

As the conversation continued, Harry didn't have any desire to stay here and listen. He looked toward Snape, and asked quietly, "May I please be excused, sir?"

His father glanced at the remnants of Harry's half eaten breakfast. "No, you may not. We will be leaving for Diagon Alley soon, and you have not finished all of your breakfast."

Harry gave an imperceptible sigh before focusing back on his porridge, the pleasant mood he'd woken up with had now completely evaporated into thin air. Shifting slightly in his seat, he stared resolutely down at his bowl and attempted to take a couple more spoonfuls, even though his appetite was long gone now.

Once breakfast was finally finished, they all gathered in Snape's study.

"Harry, you and I will be using Polyjuice potion."

His father uncorked two vials of a thick potion from his voluminous robes, which had been transfigured from its usual black to a dark green.

"We don't want you to be seen wandering around, and I do not wish to chance upon any former acquaintances. Even though it appears your glamour has worn off and your appearance has changed somewhat, that scar of yours is still recognizable," Snape said, handing a vial to Harry.

Harry took it warily, remembering when he, Ron, and Hermione had used it in their second year and recalling its disgusting flavor.

"It should last the entire time we will spend in Diagon Alley," Snape said, before he downed his vial.

Harry soon followed, tipping his vial back. He grimaced slightly at the repulsive taste, and not a moment later, Harry could feel his insides writhing and shifting, accompanied by a slight burning that thankfully didn't last very long. His skin was bubbling, and Harry watched his hands, expecting them to lengthen and his body to grow like before when he'd turned into Goyle. He was a bit surprised when not much really happened, and Harry supposed he must be a similar in size to the person he was changing into. He was certainly still the same height as before.

After the transformation completed, Harry looked up and saw that his father's appearance had changed drastically. Snape's long black hair was replaced by a light brown shorter cut that showed a little of his ears, his usually pallor face took on a more tanned tone and became less thin. His eyes were no longer the bottomless black, instead, they were a much warmer hazel. Still, it was rather startling seeing this complete stranger in front of him, but knowing it was Snape lurking underneath it all.

"Sir, could I see what I look like?" Harry asked, now curious about his own appearance.

"Of course."

His father waved his wand, conjuring a small round mirror, and handed it over. At first glance, Harry found that he rather liked his appearance, and there wasn't any doubt that they looked like father and son. His eyes and hair resembled his father's now, and Harry ran a hand through the short chestnut hair, causing it to stick up in all directions before smoothing it down. He was immensely glad to not see his usual lightning bolt scar on his forehead.

Snape then pulled out a familiar stick of wood that Harry immediately realized was his holly wand. His father held it out for him to take, and said, "Only use it if absolutely necessary."

Harry nodded, took his wand, and slipped it securely into his robe pocket.

"This seems a bit excessive for one trip, don't you think, Severus?" Clarice said, standing beside the fireplace with Kieran, her arms folded and a bored expression on her face. "Why bother even having him come along with us?"

"Harry needs to purchase school supplies as well, and these precautions are necessary," said Snape.

When his father didn't receive any further response, he turned toward Kieran, who had been surprisingly quiet so far.

"I will not tolerate any insolent behavior on this trip." Snape set his stern gaze on Kieran, also turning it on Harry for a split second. "There will also be absolutely no fighting."

"Of course, Dad," Kieran said, a bit too easily.

Snape gave Kieran a suspicious look before he grabbed the small box of Floo powder from the mantel.

They took their turns stepping into the green flames, Harry going in after Kieran. Once he made it to the Leaky Cauldron, Harry stumbled his way out of the grate and would have fallen flat on his face if it wasn't for Snape's steadying hand on his shoulder after his father had gracefully stepped out behind him. He brushed the soot from his robes, ignoring the smirk on Kieran's face as he did. Harry still didn't prefer this method of traveling, seeing as he hadn't yet figured out how to step out without nearly falling over every time.

Snape led the way, with everyone following close behind. When they reached the brick wall, he tapped the correct bricks in quick succession with his wand, causing them to begin shifting to form the entryway into Diagon Alley.

Since Potage's Cauldron Shop was the closest to the Leaky Cauldron, it was the first stop. Snape held the door open and motioned with his head for them to go in. Kieran and his mother went in first.

"Er, sir, shouldn't we go to Gringotts first?" Harry asked as he walked up to his father.

Snape raised an eyebrow. "Why would we need to go there?"

Harry blinked, thinking the answer was rather obvious. How was he going to buy anything if he didn't have any money?

"Well, I need money if I'm going to buy any—"

His father waved him off. "You need not worry about that, I'm paying for your school supplies today."

Harry stared at him, wondering if it was still Snape under there, before he said, "You really don't have to sir. I can pay, I just need to make a stop at Gringotts."

Snape shook his head and gave Harry a little push forward into the shop.

"I am well aware, however, seeing as I am your parent, I will be the one paying," his father said in a tone that indicated no more discussion on the matter. Harry was tempted to protest further, but bit his lip and stopped himself from doing so.

Knowing that he wouldn't be taking Potions class this term anyway, Harry simply stood back and watched as Kieran browsed through the selection of cauldrons with his mother and Snape.

"What do you think I should get Dad?" Harry heard Kieran ask as he took down a shiny gold cauldron.

"You have no need for a gold cauldron, those are for more advanced brewing," Snape told him.

"But you could teach me more advanced potions, and I can use this for them," Kieran said, trying to give him a convincing look.

Snape folded his arms over his chest. "There are cheaper cauldrons that are far more useful—"

"This one is much more useful than those ugly old cauldrons over there," Kieran said, indicating where Harry was pretending to be looking at a pewter cauldron. When it appeared that Snape wasn't going to budge, Kieran looked to his mother. "Mum, can I get this cauldron?"

Harry moved away before he could hear her answer, already suspecting what it was going to be anyway. He busied himself by checking out all the different stirrers while he waited for them to finish.

"You should select a new cauldron for next year as well."

Harry nearly jumped out of his skin, just barely able to stop himself from flinching this time at his father's sudden presence behind him. How did the man always manage to sneak up on him like that?

He sighed, then spun around to face Snape.

"I don't think I'll be taking potions anymore, sir. My O.W.L. mark wasn't good enough," Harry said softly, looking away and fiddling with a loose thread on his robe sleeve.

There was a slight pause before his father said, "Well, considering we still have a few weeks before term begins, if you are able to prove that you are also more proficient in brewing than what you have displayed in class, as you have already shown in your written work, I am willing to make an exception."

Snape took down one of those No-Spill ladles Harry had been looking at, and was now inspecting it.

"Really?" Harry asked, unable to believe that Snape would even offer something like that.

Since when had Snape ever made exceptions for anyone?

Maybe for his Slytherins, but even then, he seemed to always be a strict and demanding authoritarian. Snape only wanted the best students, and he had specifically stated at the beginning of last year that he didn't allow any students that received lower than an Outstanding to be admitted into his N.E.W.T. class.

His father set the ladle down and simply nodded. "Now, why don't you choose a new cauldron."

"Dad, look at this!" Kieran called from the other end of the shop. Harry saw his father give him a withering glare, which looked strange on that unfamiliar face.

"Kieran, there is no need to shout," Snape said sternly. "If you need something, you come to me."

"Well, it's not exactly something I can bring to you," Kieran retorted, unaffected by his father's reprimand, and gestured for Snape to come over.

After picking out a new standard brass cauldron with the suggestions from his father, Harry had waited patiently while Kieran finished picking out his own supplies. Then Snape shrunk all their purchases down so they could be slipped into their robe pockets, and soon they were all once again walking down the long, winding cobblestone path lined with magical shops.

The Apothecary was the next stop. Looking around the foul smelling store, Harry knew he had to replenish some of his ingredients if he was going to continue taking potions next year, though he wasn't sure of all that he needed. He had picked up a basket and was looking around when Snape suddenly appeared next to him.

"I suggest you refill your supplies with these ingredients," his father said, indicating which ones. Then he took the basket and began masterfully collecting the best quality ingredients that Harry needed.

Harry silently watched him, quite amazed at the efficient way his father selected the ingredients, and surprised that Snape was here helping him now. Shouldn't he be helping Kieran? It wasn't the first time that Harry had to shop for ingredients by himself as he remembered doing so in the summer before his third year. Nobody had ever been there to help him before, but he figured this was something that parents did for their kids all the time. He just never thought he would ever get the opportunity to experience that.

But still, he couldn't help asking, "Sir, why are you over here helping me?" Harry glanced around. "I mean— shouldn't you be helping Kieran pick out his ingredients?"

Snape paused in his examining of a rather nasty looking jar of Flobberworm mucus, and turned to face him with a strange look on his face. "Because his mother is a rather competent brewer herself," he said, setting the jar down. "He has sufficient help."

"Oh," was all Harry could think of to say, as he spotted Kieran with his mother, clutching a small basket already brimming with ingredients.

It took a while longer for Kieran to finish gathering his ingredients, but soon they were all back in the streets under the hot sun.

Harry ended up walking a few steps behind the three as Kieran kept himself close to his father's side while he happily chatted to his parents, and Clarice was on the other side of Snape, her arm snaked around his.

Maybe they fancy each other, Harry thought as he watched themThey certainly looked like a typical family of three, and Harry could see Kieran reveling in all the attention provided by both his parents. An unfamiliar feeling rose in Harry's chest then, and he had to look away.

Giving his head a shake to rid his mind of unwelcome thoughts, Harry slowed his pace and attempted to make it appear as if he was out shopping by himself. Wanting to distract himself, he glanced around at the many items on display in the little shop windows as he walked pass them. And in the time that he was preoccupied with his surroundings, Snape had somehow ended up beside him.

He probably noticed I was going too slow for them, Harry thought when Snape put a hand on his shoulder and steered him forward until they were a bit closer to Kieran and Clarice. But then Harry felt his father give him a slight squeeze, and the thin hand didn't leave its place on his shoulder.

"Hey Dad! Mum said I could get an owl as a familiar," Kieran said excitedly, and stopped walking until his father was right beside him again, pushing Harry back behind them again.

Snape nodded, slowing his strides so that he was walking beside Harry, which, of course, made Kieran slow down as well and stop altogether until his father was next to him again. It went on for several more moments, until Snape's patience seemed to reached its limits.

"Enough. If you continue with this irritating behavior, at this rate we will never finish. You are certainly capable of walking and talking at the same time," his father snapped, giving Kieran a firm forward push. "Unless you wish to scrub more cauldrons when we return home—"

"Don't you think that's a bit harsh Severus?" Clarice said, shooting a short glare at Harry before looking at Snape. "He just wants to walk beside his father."

"Walk on my other side then," Snape said brusquely.

Kieran didn't seem outwardly affected by his father's irritability, though he glowered briefly at Harry from behind Snape's back, before carrying on with their previous conversation.

"Which kind of owl do you think I should get, Dad?"

"We will have to wait and see what they have first," his father said, and gave an exasperated sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Maybe an eagle owl or a tawny..."

Harry zoned out as Kieran continued with his constant chattering until they reached the next shop.

As he was walking into Madam Malkin's, Harry accidentally bumped into a person that was just leaving.

"Sorry," Harry quickly muttered, then he noticed the white-blonde hair and pointed, pale face of the person he just ran into. He nearly panicked, but then he remembered that he wasn't himself at the moment, and Malfoy wouldn't recognize him anyway.

"Watch where you're going next time," Malfoy sneered, sauntering past him. A woman that Harry figured was his mother, with similar pompous features and a pallor that reminded Harry of her sister, gave him a haughty once over as she walked past him. A flash of anger rushed through him, and Harry had to stop himself from glaring.

"Welcome to Madam Malkin's," a short hunched over woman greeted warmly once they'd entered the shop. "What can I do for you today?"

"My son needs school robes for Hogwarts," Clarice said, resting a hand on Kieran's shoulder.

"Of course, right this way."

Kieran opened his mouth and was about to say something to Snape, but didn't get the chance as he was pulled away.

"Harry, follow me," his father said, taking his arm and directing him to the other corner of the shop.

Harry was led to the part of the store that sold casual style clothing. He'd never really been to this part before as his other shopping trips here were only for his school robes.

"What are we doing over here, sir?" Harry asked, glancing around at the many racks of clothing dispersed throughout the shop.

An assistant came over before his father could answer.

"Do you two gentlemen need any help?" she asked.

"Yes, my son needs a new wardrobe," Snape said, gesturing at Harry. "Shirts, trousers, pajamas, and undergarments. He needs several of each item."

"Oh, right away sir," the assistant smiled. "Come on dear, let's get you measured."

Harry was pulled away before he could protest. He stood in front of a mirror as a magic tape measure started wrapping around him with a quill that began jotting down the measurements.

"Sir, I really don't need—" Harry began, but was cut off by Snape.

"I have seen your so called clothes. They are no more than rags that are better fit for a baby whale rather than a scrawny teenage boy," his father said, not bothering to hide his contempt.

At Harry's flushed look, Snape's polyjuiced features softened slightly and he gave a small sigh. "It is quite obvious that your abominable relatives disregarded your basic needs," he said. "Let me provide you with something they didn't."

Harry just gave a slight nod, not really knowing what to say to that, and hardly able to believe any of it. He had seen Mrs. Weasley buy new robes for Ron when he grew out of them, and Aunt Petunia had bought Dudley new clothes all the time, but Harry would have never imagined Snape, his father, willingly buy new clothes for him, never mind a entire new wardrobe at that. His father had also paid for all of his school supplies so far and the trip wasn't even over yet. They still had a few more stops to make.

The lady finished measuring, then waved her wand, summoning many different items of clothing, each of them folding and stacking themselves on the counter. Everything was of high quality as well, and Harry shifted uncomfortably when he thought of how much this was going to cost. This was more than enough clothes to probably last him a lifetime.

"Er— sir I— that's plenty!" Harry sputtered, staring at all the clothes as they finished stacking themselves. "I don't need that many."

His father ignored him, turned to the assistant, and said, "We will take all of it."

"Splendid," the lady said, smiling. "All these should fit, and if you grow out of them, a simple sizing charm should do the trick."

"But sir—" Harry tried again, but instantly snapped his mouth shut when Snape sent him a mild glare.

Harry watched in mute disbelief while the assistant started ringing and packing everything up. When the assistant stated the staggering price, Harry's jaw almost dropped to the floor as he saw Snape easily hand her the money. That was an obscene amount of money that Snape had just spent on clothing, for him.

His father grabbed the packages and shrunk them, then slipped them in his robe pockets.

"I can pay you back sir," Harry said hastily.

Snape gave an exasperated sigh. "Harry, I don't need to be repaid. I was simply doing one of my jobs as a parent."

He started heading back towards the front of the stop.

Harry followed close behind. "Still, you shouldn't have."

"I believe your birthday was recently, was it not?" his father asked, looking over his shoulder at Harry.

"Er, yeah it was," Harry said, furrowing his brows. "Why?"

"Consider this a belated birthday present then."

Still, Harry thought it was too much even for a birthday present. He had never received this much for his birthday— for all of his birthdays combined for that matter. Harry was just about to say as much, but didn't get the chance to finish.

"That was expensive though. You didn't have to—"

"Yes, I didn't have to," his father interjected, abruptly pausing and turning to face Harry, "I wanted to."

There was something in his father's current hazel eyes that Harry couldn't place, and that warm feeling from before seemed to rush through him again.

"Thank you, sir," Harry said sincerely, unable to help the small smile that appeared on his face.


They were only half way through their shopping trip, and Severus was eagerly looking forward to heading home already. Having two sons to look after who were so different was driving him almost to insanity. Just this once, he was glad that Clarice had come along with them. Otherwise, Severus would have been constantly pulled in two different directions.

However, Severus could have done without all the subtle advances Clarice was making. Several times, Severus had to shake his arm out of her grasp when he grew uncomfortable with the closeness.

Now they were making a quick stop at the Quidditch store because Kieran wanted to take a look at the new broomsticks they had on display. Severus half expected Harry to proclaim that he already had a high end broomstick and to have one over Kieran, but the boy remained silent. After the behavior he had seen of Harry today, he shouldn't have expected anything different. This was the Quidditch store, and Severus knew for a fact that Harry had a passion for flying, but instead, said boy was just looking over the other things in the store with mild interest. Any other Quidditch enthused child would have started pointing and begging their parents for the big item on display. Quite like what Kieran was exhibiting at this very moment.

The differences between his two sons were striking. It was like night and day. Harry kept quiet, purposefully walking behind them and out of sight most of the time. Severus had made an effort to slow his pace and walk beside him, but it that proved to be difficult with Kieran around. And to think, Severus had previously thought the boy arrogant and striving to be center of attention all the time. Kieran was the one who was obviously loving the attention today, and Severus was quite grateful that Harry didn't constantly chatter on like Kieran did. Severus knew he would have wanted to strangle the both of them before they made it halfway through their trip if that was the case.

And thinking back to Madam Malkin's, Kieran would have certainly seized the chance of receiving brand new clothes, whereas Harry had made a fuss over Severus paying for his school supplies and buying him a new wardrobe. Severus had anticipated the protesting, but he wasn't prepared for uncomfortable tightness he felt in his chest at seeing so much gratitude in the boy's eyes. Without a doubt, Harry had never been provided with proper clothes before, considering all his clothes were rags and many sizes too big for his thin frame. Severus could empathize with him, given his own dismal childhood, but promptly pushed those memories from his mind. It still infuriated him to know that his son's basic needs weren't adequately provided for when living with those loathsome Muggles.

At the Owl Emporium, Severus watched Kieran trying to decide between an eagle owl or a black screech owl. He glanced over and noticed Harry petting a barn owl, which was hooting and gazing intently at the boy.

Now that Severus thought about it; didn't the boy have a snowy owl? Where was it? He was certain that it wasn't with Harry when he first arrived at Prince Manor.

Severus went to stand beside him and cleared his throat. "Harry, I don't recall having seen your owl."

Harry turned his attention to him, and said, "Oh, I sent her to the Weasleys when I left Hogwarts. She's safer there anyway, better than being locked in her cage all summer at the Dursleys." He fed a treat to the owl, who happily nipped at his fingers afterwards.

"Hey it bit me!"

Severus whirled around and saw Kieran glaring daggers at the black screech owl, clutching his hand to his chest.

"I think I want that eagle owl, Dad."

After finally purchasing the owl and sending it off to Prince Manor, it was nearly lunch time and Kieran had started to complain. They headed to one of the small cafes lining Diagon Alley, and were seated in one of the outdoor tables with a tall canopy shading them from the blazing sun.

Whilst browsing the menu, Severus could see Harry fidgeting a little from the corner of his eye. He wondered why that was, but didn't have time to question it as the waiter came to the table, asking what they would like to order.

Harry's behavior became clear to Severus when the boy hesitantly ordered the cheapest thing on the menu.

Maybe it's the first time the boy has been taken out to eat? 

Then again, now that Harry's home life was clear to Severus, he didn't doubt it.

"Hey Dad," said Kieran, drawing Severus' attention once the waiter had left. "What house do you think I'll get sorted into at Hogwarts?"

Severus folded his arms across the table. "I suppose we will just have to wait and see."

"I hope I get put into Slytherin," Kieran said with unmistakable admiration in his voice. "You're Head of Slytherin house right?"

Severus nodded. "Yes I am."

"What house are you in, Potter?" Kieran suddenly asked Harry, obviously catching the boy by surprise.

"Gryffindor," Harry replied.

Kieran snorted and rolled his eyes. "Figures."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry said, glowering at him.

"All brawny and brave with no brains," Kieran jeered, taking a sip of his pumpkin juice.

"Actually, the hat wanted to put me in Slytherin," Harry said suddenly, but judging by the look on his face, Severus could tell that the boy hadn't meant to reveal that.

"Why did it not?" Severus asked curiously. He would have never thought that Harry could have been sorted into his house before. There was certainly no doubt that Harry belonged in Gryffindor, though maybe the boy did possess some Slytherin qualities that Severus had never recognized before. It certainly would have changed everything if Harry had been sorted into his house. Perhaps, he would have found out about his abysmal home life sooner, however, Severus knew he wouldn't have been able to change the way he treated the boy in class. He had been a spy then, and he had to tread carefully with many children in his class able to report back to their Death Eater parents.

Harry looked away, only giving a small shrug.

"I'm sure you will get into Slytherin, Kieran. You are after all, rather ambitious as well as brilliantly cunning," Clarice said, smoothing out a stray piece of hair from Kieran's forehead. "Not to mention two intelligent parents that you inherited them from."

Nothing more was said as their food arrived at that moment, and everyone tucked in. Severus discreetly watched Harry pick at his food, keeping his head down and his eyes on his plate the entire duration of the meal.

After lunch, the last stop was for their school books. Severus was browsing through the Potions section when he noticed Harry flipping through a Defense spell book. He initially thought it was one of those absurd Quidditch books containing steps to performing dangerous tricks, and was therefore a bit surprised that it wasn't.

As if on cue though, Kieran appeared next to him, holding up one of those said quidditch books. "Dad, can I get this?"

"Fine," Severus said curtly. He was tempted to say no, but he knew that Kieran would just ask Clarice for it. Which would all lead to the same result anyway.

After both boys had accumulated a stack of books in their hands and purchased them, they were finally finished with what felt like to Severus, the longest shopping trip ever. Just in time too because the Polyjuice potion was due to wear off any minute now. They began making their way back to the Leaky Cauldron.

Just as they were a few steps away from the Leaky Cauldron, Severus heard a series of loud sharp cracks, followed quickly by several frightened gasps and screams.

Severus looked around, but before he could make sense of anything, the shop closest to them exploded, the force sending them to the ground. With a quick draw of his wand, Severus cast a shield charm to protect them from any of the burning debris raining down around them. Thick clouds of black smoke were billowing from the shops on fire.

"Is everyone all right?" Severus asked as he rose to his feet and briefly dusted himself off. Kieran and Clarice were standing now as well, both seemed shaken, but uninjured.

Severus glanced around, trying to figure out what the hell was happening, and immediately realized that something— no, someone was missing.

Where is Harry? 

His heart plummeted as an almost paralyzing panic surged through him.

The boy had been just a few steps behind them when the explosion occurred, Severus had been certain of it, but now, Harry was nowhere to be seen.

Surely the boy wouldn't have run off

"Harry!" Severus called, looking wildly around at the scattering crowds of people, hoping to spot his son amongst them. Everyone in the vicinity were either disapparating or running around, shoving each other out of the way.

From further down the street, Severus could discern several dark robed figures, and then a high, cold voice echoed in the distance, making his blood run cold in his veins.

"What's happening?" Kieran asked in a trembling voice, clinging tightly onto his mother.

"The Dark Lord and his Death Eaters," Severus replied as calmly as he could. He forced down the panic threatening to overwhelm him, then focused on conjuring his Patronus and sending a quick message to Dumbledore.

"Severus, we need to leave," Clarice said, grabbing onto his arm.

"I have to find Harry. You take Kieran and leave!" Severus ordered, but as he turned to head in the other direction, Clarice's grip on his arm tightened.

"We're not leaving without you!" she shouted, pulling Kieran closer to her side.

"Come on, Dad!" Kieran cried, looking wide eyed at the masks figures getting closer to them.

"Go on! I need to find Harry first!" Severus said forcefully, attempting to free his arm from her viselike grip. They were wasting time

"No, he's not worth risking your life for!" Clarice hissed, frantically trying to pull him with her. "He's nothing but trouble! Look around— we can't even go anywhere without almost getting killed!"

Severus wrenched his arm out of her grasp, nearly knocking her off her feet in the process.

"He's my son," he said fiercely, "and I'm not leaving my son behind."

With that, Severus whirled around and headed straight into the chaos, moving against the current of people rushing in the opposite direction.

The only thought on his mind was finding his son.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3312