The Unwanted One by Amy
Summary: Harry has always wished for someone to care, for a family of his own. On his birthday, he finds out that a certain Potions Master is his father, but Severus has finally settled into life with his other son. Can Harry finally have the family he has longed for, or will he always be the unwanted one?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 102974 Read: 186194 Published: 17 Mar 2016 Updated: 25 Mar 2020
A Prince's Manor by Amy

It was just another day, another ordinary day.

At least, that was what Severus had been trying to tell himself...

For the past three hours.

He was settled in his armchair, a potion journal in one hand and nursing a cup of coffee with the other. He had debated substituting the coffee with something stronger— firewhiskey would have sufficed— but ultimately decided that it wouldn't look good on his part to greet Dumbledore in a drunken stupor, no matter how much he wanted to drown himself in alcohol just to avoid having to deal with the inevitability of Potter's arrival and the impending chaos that would no doubt follow. At least he was able to enjoy these last few Potter free hours in relative peace and quiet, after Kieran had left to spend the day at his mother's.

Severus was dreading the moment Kieran and Potter met, particularly after yesterday's tantrum his son had unexpectedly displayed. He certainly hadn't anticipated that level of reaction from Kieran.

It was going to be a long end to the summer— certainly not how Severus had imagined it— if he had to spend it keeping two teenage boys from hexing each other at every turn.

And once again, Severus inwardly cursed Dumbledore for deciding to thrust Potter into his home without seeing a need for discussing the plans with him first, considering it was Severus who would have to put up with the boy and provide his home to him for the rest of the summer. And if his assumptions were correct, Potter wouldn't be any more thrilled to be staying here either.

With that in mind, Severus had decided to write up a list of chores to occupy Potter's time here, which would hopefully keep the boy out of any mischief he was known to get into. He was certain Potter had never worked a day in his life at his relatives, no doubt having been pampered and coddled over all his life. Severus wanted it to be clear to Potter that he wasn't going to be receiving that sort of treatment from him. The chores would serve to teach Potter that not everything would be handed to him on a silver platter and to appreciate hard work.

Severus glanced at the clock on the mantelpiece; it was nearly noon, only half an hour more before Dumbledore would be arriving with Potter in tow.

He scowled, shutting his journal with a snap, and stood, finding he could no longer ignore the reality of it.


Harry couldn't help looking around him in amazement as he followed Dumbledore through the wrought iron gate.

This was certainly not a place that Harry would have imagined Snape to live in. Then again, he never really thought about where his professors stayed when away from Hogwarts.

The manor was beautiful, bright, and welcoming, standing majestically in the afternoon sunlight. The gardens around it were well kept and pristine, the hedges lining the pathway neatly manicured. It was a place that Harry could see someone like Malfoy living in.

"This is Prince Manor, Harry," Dumbledore told him as they walked.

"It's beautiful sir," Harry said, still taking in the sights around him.

"It certainly is."

When they were just a few steps away from reaching the front door, it suddenly swung open, and Harry saw a tall figure dressed in black step out into the sunlight. It was impossible not to immediately recognize the figure as Severus Snape with his greasy hair and hooked nose, his arms crossed tightly over his chest and an irritated expression on his face. This was the first time Harry was seeing the man after finding out about his true parentage, and he couldn't help but wonder again how Snape— his father— had taken the news.

And with that thought, his heart began drumming a rhythm against his ribcage, feeling as if it was going to burst out of his chest.

Why was he so bloody nervous all of a sudden?

It's just Snape... but he's more than that now, isn't he?

Harry derailed that train of thought, reminding himself that he should just feel grateful that he got away from the Dursleys, but he couldn't seem to completely push the prominent fear of also being rejected by his own father out of his mind.

Despite the summertime heat, Snape was still wearing his usual black outfit, though without the billowing robes. Not that it made him any less intimidating.

"Good afternoon, Severus," greeted Dumbledore.

"Headmaster," Snape returned, giving a curt nod. Then he set his intense gaze on Harry with black eyes still as fathomless as ever. Harry tried holding his gaze, but after a moment he dropped his eyes to his worn trainers.

"I will be enhancing the wards around your property. You should get Harry settled in," Dumbledore said to Snape as he gave Harry a gentle pat on the shoulder.

Snape pursed his lips. "Of course," he bit out, looking a bit reluctant as he stepped aside and allowed Harry room to enter.

Dumbledore gave Harry's shoulder a brief squeeze as he walked past him into the manor. As soon as Snape had shut the door behind them, he turned without a word and started briskly walking in the direction of the grand staircase, obviously expecting Harry to follow.

Harry did, and there were moments where he had to jog to catch up after realizing he was lagging too far behind. Snape's strides were long and brisk as he continued on, never seeming to bother turning his head to check if Harry was following.

The inside was just as magnificent as the outside, Harry concluded, as he was led up the marble steps and through hallway after hallway, then up another flight of stairs. All the rooms they passed were elegantly decorated and well lit with plenty of natural lighting flooding in through the tall glass windows. The place was obviously well kept, and Harry wondered if Snape owned any house elves that helped him with a manor as large as this. It wouldn't be surprising, but the fact that it was Snape who lived here was still mind boggling.

Harry remembered how he and Ron used to joke that Snape must sleep inside a coffin in a dark, cold dungeon. Well, Ron would certainly not believe Harry if he told him about this...

"Quit dawdling, Potter. I do not have all day." Snape stood at the end of the hallway, arms crossed tightly over his chest as he waited impatiently for Harry to reach him. Once Harry did, Snape sharply indicated the room to his left. "This is your room."

The room was noticeably smaller than the other rooms they had passed, but Harry didn't care as he took in everything, focusing on the fact that he was actually getting his own room that wasn't grudgingly given to him. It was beautiful; more than Harry could have dreamed of— certainly far better than what he had at the Dursleys.

The room was well lit, a steady stream of sunlight filtering in through the tall window with long curtains framing it, and a window alcove where he could sit and look down at the vast garden below. All the furnishings in the room seemed new, though less elegant than other rooms, with a gray and beige color scheme that matched the walls. The four poster bed appeared to be similar to the ones at Hogwarts, but with beige curtains draped to the side and a light gray bedspread instead of red. There was a small desk opposite the bed with a lamp on it, and a proper dresser stood beside it. He even had a bathroom all to himself that was connected to the room.

It was a lot to take in. Harry could hardly believe it as he continue to look around.

He couldn't help going up to everything and feeling it, just to make sure it wasn't all just a dream.


Severus remained standing at the doorway, his arms crossed over his chest as he silently observed Potter taking in the room.

He had expected the boy to begin complaining as soon as he caught sight of the room, demanding to have one of the other much larger rooms they had passed by on the way up here. It surprised him when Potter didn't.

Severus narrowed his eyes at him.

Just what exactly was the boy doing?

Potter was now walking around the room, running his hands over his desk, then the dresser, and the four poster bed...

Was the boy inspecting the furniture?

Checking to see if everything was up to his standards?

Obviously, this room was not. Potter must have had far better at his relatives, and Severus was determined to make the boy aware that he would not be receiving the same kind of treatment here.

Severus cleared his throat. "Is the room acceptable for the Golden Boy?" he sneered, finally stepping into the room.

Potter started at the sudden sound of Severus' voice, as if he'd forgotten that Severus was still there behind him, and instantly stopped what he was doing, turning around to face him.

"It's a really nice room, sir," Potter said.

There was no hint of insincerity that Severus could detect from him, and Potter continued looking around the room with... was it awe?

No, Severus must be mistaken.

But hearing this sincere statement from the boy about this room, which was far less spectacular than the many other rooms, confused him. Though Severus didn't dwell on it for long, deciding to lay down some ground rules so the boy would understand what he would expect from him.

"I expect this room to be well kept," Severus said. "No doubt, your relatives have been tending to your every need, but here you cannot call a house elf to do it for you."

The awe that was on Potter's face was now snuffed out completely as he frowned, looking up at Severus. He didn't respond, only giving a small nod to indicate that he was listening as Severus continued.

"I am not your relatives, therefore, do not expect to be coddled or pampered here as well," he said sternly, leveling a pointed glare at Potter as if daring him to refute it. "I will also not tolerate disrespect, and you will refer to me as Sir or Professor at all times."

An indecipherable emotion flickered in Potter's green eyes at that, but it was gone before Severus could identify it.

"Do I make myself clear?" Severus narrowed his eyes, wondering about the lack of protest.

Another small nod in response.

"I require a verbal answer, Potter," Severus demanded, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yes, sir," Potter replied softly, lowering his eyes down to his trainers.

Severus gritted his teeth, "Look at me when I am speaking to you."

The boy raised his eyes slowly to meet his and muttered another "Yes, sir," before dropping them the next second. Surprisingly, Severus hadn't been able to distinguish a certain emotion from them.

The boy is strangely polite today... none of the expected, defiant outbursts yet...

He better not be up to something already.

"Very well. I suggest you unpack, and be downstairs for dinner at six."

Severus turned, intending to stalk out of the room, but paused when Potter spoke again.

"Um, sir? Could you... unshrink my trunk please?" the boy asked hesitantly as he pulled out his shrunken trunk from his pocket.

"Set it on the floor," Severus said shortly.

Potter did so, and after a quick draw of Severus' wand and a silent, swift flick of his wrist, the trunk returned to its normal size.

"Thank you, sir."

Severus slipped his wand back into his sleeve and swept out of the room after giving the boy a stiff nod.

He pushed Potter's unusual behavior out of his mind as he headed outside, deciding to check if Dumbledore was finished with the wards.


Harry stood in the middle of the room for a few moments after Snape left. The contentment from receiving his new room had worn off by the coldness of Snape's demeanor. He shouldn't have expected anything different really— it was still Snape after all— but Harry couldn't help feeling a bit saddened by that.

He's still calling me Potter... Even though I'm not really a Potter...

Of course he was still going to think of Harry as a spoiled brat. When had he ever thought differently?

Maybe I could prove him wrong?

Hopefully there was a chance with Snape unlike at the Dursleys where there was absolutely nothing he could have done to change their minds.

Just maybe...

Giving a long sigh, Harry opened his trunk and started unpacking. It didn't take him long with the small amount of possessions he had taken with him from the Dursleys. He placed the photo album on the nightstand beside his bed along with the letter from his mother and the photos, his eyes lingering on the figures moving ceaselessly within them. Taking a seat on the bed, Harry flipped through the photo album and began adding in the pictures he'd recently received from his mother. Nearly failing to notice what time it was, Harry realized he should be heading down to dinner soon and closed the photo album before going into the bathroom to quickly freshen up.

As soon as he caught a glimpse of his reflection in the mirror, Harry let out a small gasp.

There was a difference, only slightly, but it was definitely noticeable to Harry from yesterday morning.

His mother's charm must be wearing off...

He ran a hand through his hair, noting how his usually unruly hair had lost some of its unkempt look. It was now softer and able to lay flat for once, no longer sticking up in odd angles. He was also slightly paler, though not by much, considering he'd spent much of the last few days outdoors.

Even with the strangeness of it all, Harry found himself liking the subtle changes to his appearance so far. He did notice a slight resemblance to Snape, and Harry wondered what his true appearance would be like once the charm completely wore off.

Would he look more like his mother or Snape?

He wondered if his friends would still recognize him after this. What would they even think? Would they still want to be his friend? Harry wanted to write to them but Hedwig's not with him and he was definitely not going to ask Snape. Judging by the man's mood today, it was best not to get in his way. It seemed like just the sight of Harry could irritate him.

Harry sighed, then waved a hand over his face, undoing the glamour charm, and watched as all the bruises from Uncle Vernon's punishment a few days ago materialized. At least the bruises seemed to be healing. He gently fingered the discolored bruises on his cheek and on his arms, checking if there was anymore pain, before he quickly reapplied the charm. He hated looking at himself all battered and bruised; it just served to remind him of unpleasant memories and how much of a freak he was. Once he made sure all the bruises on his body were concealed, Harry began heading down to dinner.

It took some time locating the dining room in this large manor with Harry getting lost here and there, either taking the wrong turn or going too far. With just a few minutes to spare, Harry finally arrived, finding Snape already seated at the head of a long table when he peered in.

"Come in and sit, Potter," Snape said curtly, indicating the seat to his immediate left when he noticed Harry hovering awkwardly in the doorway.

Harry made to sit down, wondering who could be joining them when he realized the table had been set for three. Maybe Dumbledore was staying for dinner?

He didn't have to wonder for long when he heard the Floo roaring to life in the next room over, indicating someone had arrived.

"Dad?" he heard a voice call. "I'm back!"

Harry didn't think he'd heard right at first.

Dad? What in the Who is that?

Harry blinked, his eyes widening slightly in surprise as a boy, with a noticeable resemblance to Snape, strutted into the room.

He walked with an air of pompousness that instantly reminded Harry of the way Draco Malfoy strolled around Hogwarts, acting as if he owned the place. Every feature of his appeared to be a muted version of Snape's, everything except his hair, which was a dark brown instead of black and his face wasn't as thin. When the boy's obsidian eyes— so similar to Snape's— connected with Harry's own, the intensity of the glare he was met with seemed to almost burn through him. Harry could do nothing more than stare and almost openly gaped at the boy, but the hatred radiating off of him towards Harry stopped him from doing so.

Once the boy sat down in the seat directly in front of Harry and to Snape's right, Snape said, "Potter, this is my son, Kieran."

Harry said a quiet "Hello" and received a sharp "Hi" in return.

Since when did Snape have a son? And why does he seem to already despise me? Why does everyone hate me? What

"We need to discuss the rules before we eat Potter," Snape said to Harry, breaking him out of his jumbled thoughts. Once he saw that he had Harry's full attention he continued, "Breakfast is at 8:00 with Lunch being at 12:00, and Dinner at 6:00. Punctuality is a must, and if you are late, you will not eat. You will have to remember Potter as I will not be waiting on you hand and foot."

Harry nodded his understanding. It seemed doable to him. At least he could get three meals a day here.

"Starting tomorrow, I will give you a list of chores that needs to be done that day. I will not tolerate laziness Potter. As such I expect your work to be satisfactory or you will have to redo it the next day," Snape continued, as Harry noticed Kieran smirking from the corner of his eye.

"Yes, sir," Harry replied easily. He had no problems with having to do chores as he was quite used to it from the Durlseys anyway. He could only hope the list won't be as long as the Dursley's.

"You are also forbidden to enter my bedroom, Kieran's bedroom, and my potion's lab without permission first. Furthermore, knowing your troublesome tendencies, I will be confiscating your wand, broom, and that infernal invisibility cloak of yours," Snape said, then paused for a while as if waiting for a reaction.

Harry had to bite down on his tongue to stop the protest that was fighting its way out.

You have no right to take them.

Those were one of his few prized possessions he had and he never wanted to give them to Snape. The cloak was his da— James', the only thing that Harry had from him and his Firebolt was gifted to him from Sirius. He could make due without his wand, since he had been without it for a while now at the Dursley's, but the cloak and Firebolt...

"Disobey the rules and face the consequences. I can assure you, they will not be... pleasant," Snape said menacingly.

What does that mean? A chill went up Harry's spine at that and he had to look away to hide the slight involuntary shudder. Many thoughts raced through Harry's mind before Snape's voice broke through again, "You two will behave, I do not want any fighting. Do I make myself clear?" His stern gaze shifted back and forth between the two of them, but seemed to linger longer on Harry.

"Yes, sir," Harry replied, averting his eyes.

"Yeah, whatever," Kieran said nonchalantly as he leaned back in his chair.

"Kieran," Snape said warningly.

Kieran rolled his eyes. "Yes, Dad."

Harry was surprised that Snape didn't tell him off for being disrespectful. He knew Snape would've never let anyone speak to him that way in class. Instead, Snape just gave Kieran a pointed glare that had no affect on him whatsoever.

No more was said as dinner appeared magically onto the table.

The tension in the room was palpable. The food was delicious though, but Harry could barely finish half of his plate. After weeks of being starved at the Dursley's his stomach wasn't capable of holding a lot of food. Even worse, the food just felt like rocks in his stomach that were weighing him down. Harry just resorted to moving food around his plate, attempting to appear as if he was still eating, when he really couldn't eat any more.


Interesting. Very interesting, Severus thought, eying Potter from the corner of his eye.

The boy had taken to the announcement of having to do chores surprisingly well. Severus had been waiting for the impending protests from Potter, but they never came.

Although he did notice the boy came close to protesting the confiscation of his important possessions. He fully expected the Potter he knew so well from school to re-emerge again, but then it had disappeared without a trace of it ever being there in the first place.

Perhaps he was finally going to obey the rules. 

Though Severus knew he shouldn't hold his breath.

Throughout dinner, he kept discreetly watching Potter taking small bites here and there. At one point, Severus saw the boy pushing the food around on his plate, not much of it actually getting into his mouth.

Is the food not to his liking?

Several harsh reprimands came to mind that was about to be spewed on the boy, but Severus refrained from doing so. It didn't escape his notice that Potter was behaving rather subdued. Not at all like the impudent brat he knew at Hogwarts. Kieran was occasionally giving Potter dirty looks, but the boy didn't notice, keeping his head down the whole time.

After dessert was finished, Severus said, "Potter, bring your things to my study."

Then he stood up and swept out of the room to go finish some work before turning in for the night.


Harry was about to get up as well, until Kieran spoke.

"Listen up, Potter," Kieran said in a harsh whisper. "You better stay out of my way, and stay away from my Dad."

Harry blinked at him. What was his problem?

"In case you didn't know, he's my Dad too," Harry retorted back.

Kieran snorted. "Yeah sure, but he obviously doesn't want you here either. Nobody wants you here," he said, glaring at him. "So it'd be better if you could leave us alone."

There was an or else implied that Harry could sense was left unsaid, and before he could even attempt to form a response, Kieran stood and strode out of the room.

Harry sat there for a while, still staring at the spot Kieran just vacated.

Then, suddenly remembering that he had to hand over his things to Snape, Harry went to his room to retrieve those items. He opened his trunk and pulled out three of the most valuable things he owned. He slipped his wand into his back pocket and held the silky invisibility cloak in one hand and his beloved firebolt in the other before making his way to Snape's study.

When he arrived, Harry felt as if he was about to give up pieces of himself. He quietly knocked on the door, and received a sharp "Enter" before he slowly walked in to stand in front of Snape's large oak desk.

"These will be returned to you at the end of the summer," Snape said as Harry put his things down on the desk.

Harry gave a long sigh before he nodded his understanding. When Snape returned his attention back to his work, Harry took that as his dismissal and silently left the room.

He slowly made his way back to his room. The walk did nothing to clear his mind of the dreadful thoughts still plaguing it. All those rules Snape gave were running through his mind.

What would happen if he broke one? It wasn't specified what those punishments would be, and Harry didn't want to find out. A detention was the only consequence that Harry had experienced with Snape, but now that Harry lived with the man, he has more control over him than he did at Hogwarts. Snape could punish him however he wanted and nobody could stop him. And Harry figured it was best to stay away from Kieran as well, knowing Snape would always side with his son over Harry if something happened, even if he watched it happen right in front of his eyes.

Just like at the Dursleys.

What if his punishments were like Uncle Vernon's?

Harry shuddered at the memories that surfaced from that thought.

He resolved to do everything the man said and was going to try his best not to screw this up. He was determined to prove that he wasn't a freak and burden because once again, he was stuck where he wasn't wanted.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3312