I Need You by Always1027
Summary: After the third task of the Triwizard Tournament, life in Privet Drive is even more horrible for Harry. Nightmares, chores, punishments... But his life will change when he finds a black cat.
Categories: Healer Snape, Reverse Roles > Healer Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Animagus!Snape, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, Injured!Snape, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 25756 Read: 64339 Published: 22 Aug 2016 Updated: 26 Feb 2017
Chapter 7: Snape's quarters. by Always1027

Poppy went back to the infirmary to check up on the two wizards. They were talking in Harry’s bed. Both of them seemed to be happy and she heard them talking about a snake. Harry explained what had happened about the Dark Mark.

"That's great Mr. Potter! I was just thinking in my office what I could do about it, but I see that the problem is already solved." Poppy said and checked the temperature of the two wizards with a flick of her wand.

"Mr. Potter 36.5°C. You’re fine. Does your head hurt?” Poppy asked him.

“Yes, ma’am, a little, but it always stops, so don’t worry. The vision today has been short, so I’ll be fine in a couple of hours.” Harry answered.

“Fine, you are released, but I suppose you'll spend the day here anyway. Severus, 38.3°C. I'll give you a fever reducing potion after your lunch." Poppy told them.

"Come on, woman, you know I can't stay here." Severus spat.

"It won't be the end of the world Severus! You know I can't let you stay in your quarters alone! You still have fever and you need to stay in bed. And your wounds aren't healed. You'll be released on Sunday. Until then you’re confined to bed rest." Poppy said.

Severus opened his mouth to complain, but Harry talked impulsively. "What if he's not alone? Would you release him?"

"What do you suggest Mr. Potter?" Poppy asked curious.

"Well, since I stayed here last night with him I can stay in his quarters. I can give him the fever reducer when needed and I’ll be there if he needs me. I can also clean his wounds if you want. I did it when he was a cat anyway, but if you prefer you can also come to do it yourself. I would stay until Sunday and we can say I have detention or something. And I can send you a patronus if something happens." Harry said a little bit embarrassed. Maybe the professor didn’t want him in his quarters.

“An interesting idea. Yes, I suppose I would release him. But if you do that you have to be all the weekend there, without going with your friends. You could only go out to attend the Feast. If you are willing to do that I don’t have any objections.” Poppy said and Harry nodded. “Fine. Severus, do you prefer to stay in your quarters with Mr. Potter?”

“Yes, of course.” Severus said with relief. “And nobody will suspect if Mr. Potter says that he has detention.” He added smirking.

“No, they won’t. But you can’t take points from Gryffindor.” Harry said laughing.

“I’ll release you after lunch, Severus. I want to see that you eat everything.” Poppy said. “I’ll be in my office if you need me, I have to organise the potions for this year.”

“Thank you Harry.” Severus said when Poppy went to her office.

“No need to thank me, sir. I hate staying in the infirmary because everybody comes to see if the Boy-Who-Lived is going to die or not. I suppose it’s the same for you. Everybody would want to see their potions professor in the hospital wing.” Harry said.

“It means a lot for me, you didn’t have to do it. So I want to thank you.” Severus said.

“You’re welcome, Severus.” Harry said smiling.


“Madam Pomfrey? Can I help you? Severus is sleeping and I’m bored.” Harry said when he walked into Poppy’s office.

“Oh yes, could you arrange the potions in the selves in alphabetical order? It’s easier for me to get the potions that I need in that way.” Poppy said.

Harry and Poppy spent the rest of the morning organizing the office, until they heard Severus shouting.

“DON’T! PLEASE STOP!” Severus was shouting.

Harry reached the bed before Poppy. “Shh, you’re having a nightmare, Severus.” Harry said squeezing his hand. “Come on, wake up!”

“Harry.” Severus said.

“Drink this.” Poppy said handing him a calming draught.

Severus did as Poppy said. “Are you going to stay?” He asked looking at the young boy.

“Yes, now sleep.” Harry said, and Severus closed his eyes.

“He’s burning up. Can’t you give him a fever reducer?” Harry asked Poppy.

“No, he took one this morning when you were asleep. It’s early for another one. Take a flannel, I will teach you to charm it to stay cold all the time.” Poppy said.

Harry gave her the flannel and Poppy taught him the spell and she also taught him how to take the temperature without a thermometer.

“That will help to lower the fever.” Poppy told Harry.

“But why does he still have fever?” Harry asked concerned.

“His body is still fighting against the infection. We can’t do anything else, we’ll have to wait.” Poppy answered.

“Did I do anything wrong with the wounds?” Harry asked.

“No, you cleaned his leg like I would have done. And we need to continue doing that. And you have just seen why he can’t be alone in his quarters.” Poppy explained. “I’m going to St Mungo’s to ask for some potions that I need. Will you stay with him or do you want me to call Minerva?”

“I will stay; I’ve told him I would.” Harry said.

“Fine, wake him up when the elves bring you the lunch. He has to eat everything. And give him the potion for his fever. Don’t let him leave before I come back. I want to check on him before you go to his quarters.” Poppy said.


At 3pm Poppy released Severus from the hospital wing.

“Severus, your temperature is not very high now, but you have to stay in bed. You mustn’t do magic, you are still recovering, so no magic until Sunday evening. Mr. Potter take his wand from him when you arrive at his quarters. I don’t mind if you clean the wound before or after going to the Feast; or if you want me to do it. You can stay there for one hour, maybe less. And…”

“Poppy, he knows what to do. I will see you after dinner I suppose.” Severus cut her off.

“Of course you will see me young man. And if I find out that you’re not doing what I say you’ll come back to the infirmary.” Poppy said seriously.

“We will be fine Madam Pomfrey.” Harry said looking at Poppy and smiling. Then the two wizards disappeared in the green flames of the fireplace.

Severus showed Harry the place. The living room was painted in green, and Harry thought it was cosy. The fireplace was in front of a little table and a cream-coloured couch. There was a lamp with an armchair beside it, also cream-coloured and two large bookshelves with a lot of books on it. In the other side of the room there was a big table with four chairs, near the kitchen’s door. The kitchen was small but functional. Near the armchair there was a wide corridor with two closed doors in one side and one door in the other side. Behind the first door Harry could see a huge bedroom painted in a relaxing bluish colour. The room was rather empty. It only had a big bed with a bedside table in one of its sides, a wardrobe and a desk with a chair. There was also a door that led into the bathroom. The bedroom that was in front of the other one was white, and it only had a desk, and although it was smaller than the other one, it also had one own bathroom. The other room in that side was a bathroom for the visits, without the bathtub and shower that the other ones had.

After showing Harry the place Severus went to his room to rest. Harry stayed for a bit in the other bedroom, until he was sure Severus would be asleep. Then he shrank his bed and carried it to Severus bedroom. If he was going to take care of Severus, he had to be close to him. After that he went to the living room and he chose a book from the shelves. ‘The Secret Garden.’ Harry opened the book and saw his professor’s name in his own handwriting.

Harry sat on his bed, that was now near Severus’ and started reading. When Severus woke up he had read the half of the book.

“Do you like it?” Severus asked with sleepy eyes. He saw the boy in the bed that was before in the other room, but he didn’t say anything about it.

“Yeah, it’s great! How are you feeling?” Harry stood up and placed his hand in Severus’ forehead.

“I’m fine Harry. That was my favourite book when I was young.” The professor said and closed his eyes, feeling the boy’s cold hand. Nobody had done that for him before Harry. Perhaps Poppy had tried but he hadn’t let her.

“You’re hot, that’s not fine. But I can’t give you the potion yet.” Harry said charming the flannel that he had carried from the infirmary, and he put in in his professor forehead.

“Yes, but I’m better.” Severus said smiling, trying to convince Harry. “Poppy taught you the spell for the flannel I suppose.”

“Yeah. After you woke up from your nightmare.” Harry said.

“Sorry.” Severus said without looking at him.

“It’s not your fault. By the way, where is your wand? Poppy will take you back to the infirmary if I don’t have it.” Harry said. Severus took his wand from behind the pillow and reluctantly gave it to Harry and he put it on his bed.

“Which part of the book were you reading?” Severus asked.

Harry took the book and started reading where he had stopped. “And she was so un-hysterical and natural and childish that she brought him to his senses and he began to laugh at himself and a few minutes afterward she was sitting on her stool again telling him not what she imagined the secret garden to be like but what it really was, and Colin's aches and tiredness were forgotten and he was listening enraptured.

Severus drifted into sleep listening as Harry read the book he had read thousands of times when he was little.


“Hi Master Harry, Madam Pomfrey has told Thara to take care of Master Severus while Master Harry is in the Feast. If Master Harry is ready he has to leave now or he will be late.” The house elf that had appeared in the room said.

“Oh, thank you Thara. Could you come to the Great Hall if Severus wakes up and needs something?” Harry asked.

“Master Harry has thanked Thara!” She said with wide eyes. “Thara will do that Master Harry, don’t worry, Thara will send someone to take Master Harry down if Master Severus needs him.”

Harry smiled at here and took a look at his professor before leaving.

He spotted Ron and Hermione going to the Great Hall at the same time that Hermione saw him.

“Harry! Where were you? We were so worried!” Hermione said while hugging him.

“I can’t tell you now Hermione, but I will tell you both everything, I promise.” Harry said.

“I know you must be angry with us. We tried, but we couldn’t send you letters.” Ron said.

“Shh Ron! You know we can’t talk about that, not here where everyone can hear us.” Hermione said.

“We will need to find a place to talk. Only the three of us.” Harry said while they sat.

“Yes, we can do it tomorrow morning, it’s Saturday, so we don’t have classes. I’m so glad to see you Harry.” Hermione said with tears in her eyes.

“Emm, tomorrow morning I’ll be busy.” Harry said flushing.

“Why?” Ron said.

“I have detention.” Harry said uncomfortable.

“You already have detention? Let me guess, the greasy git has given you detention.” Ron said shouting, and the boys near them glared Harry.

“Something like that.” Harry said. “I won’t go to Gryffindor tower until Sunday, don’t tell Ron until you two are alone and no one can hear his shouts.” Harry whispered to Hermione. She looked concerned but nodded.

“What?” Ron asked.

“I’ll tell you later.” Hermione said glaring at him.

“Look! Snape is not with the rest of the professors!” Ron said excited. “Maybe this year he won’t be here!”

“Ron, don’t be stupid! You’ve just said that Harry has detention with him. So of course Professor Snape is here!” Hermione said irritated.


After the first years were sorted, Dumbledore gave his speech and introduced the new DADA teacher. The pink toad gave a long and boring speech and then the Feast started. Before the dessert, a note appeared in Harry’s lap.

You is needed. Dobby will wait outside the Great Hall.

“What’s that?” Hermione asked.

“Nothing.” Harry said putting the note in his pocket. “I must go. I’ll explain you everything, really.”


Dobby was waiting outside like the note said. He told Harry that Thara had asked him to take Harry to Severus’ quarters. They appeared in the living room and Harry could hear Severus calling him. Harry went to the bedroom and Thara left to give them privacy.

“What happens Severus?” Harry asked concerned.

“Harry” Severus said with a hoarse voice.

“Yes, I’m here. What happens?” Harry sat in Severus’ bed and touched Severus’ cheek to feel his temperature. He was burning up, even more than before, but fortunately it was time for the fever reducing potion.

“No.” Severus whimpered when Harry was going to stood up.

“I’m going to take your potion, don’t worry.” Harry said.

“No, don’t go.” Severus pleaded.

“Ok, I won’t.” Harry put his hand in Severus’ face again, and he called Thara. He asked her to bring him the potion, and a calming draught from the infirmary. When Severus had drunk both potions and a glass of water, Harry talked again.

“What happened, Severus?” He asked.

“I had a nightmare.” Severus said flushing. “Thara woke me up. I thought something had happened to you. You were not here, and in my dream you were hurt. I’m sorry you had to come.”

“I’m fine Sev. And don’t worry, Dobby will bring me the dessert here.” Harry said smiling. “Do you want me to clean your wounds and then you eat dinner or you prefer if Poppy does it?” He asked.

“I’d prefer if you did it.” Severus whispered. Harry smiled, he stood up and started unwrapping the bandage. He called Dobby to ask him if he could bring some soup for Severus and pudding for both of them.

“How was the feast?” Severus asked.

“Quite well. The new DADA teacher is horrible though. She works in the Ministry and she looks like a toad.” Harry said disinfecting the wounds. “Sorry.” He apologised when Severus clenched his fists due to the pain. “She gave us a long and boring speech; but we weren’t listening a lot.” He admitted smiling.

When they were finished with cleaning the wounds, Harry transfigured the desk into a side table to put Severus meal on it. Harry waited until Severus finished the soup so they could have dessert together. They talked about the potions that they would be doing in class that year. Then Severus fell asleep and Harry continued reading his book. He was finishing the book when Poppy appeared, just after the Feast was finished.

“Hi Harry, is Severus asleep?” Poppy asked.

“Yes, he fell asleep after dinner. He had soup and some pudding. He ate everything. I gave him the fever reducer before dinner and I also cleaned his wound. He had 37ºC the

last time I checked.” Harry said satisfied.

“Perfect young man; you know, you could be an awesome healer! I saw you leaving in the middle of the Feast, what happened?” She asked curiously.

“Severus had a nightmare, he wanted to see me, he was scared.” Harry said shrugging.

“Interesting.” Poppy said thinking. “Harry, as I said, in the past, specially before you were born, Severus was frequently in the infirmary, due to his job as a spy. Every time he stayed there he had a nightmare, every time I used to wake him, and every single time he used to shout me, telling me to get out. You are the first one who can stay with him and calm him after he has had a nightmare. Not only that, but he has never requested to see someone after having a nightmare or when he was in the hospital wing. In his feverish state he is prone to have more nightmares.” The medi-witch told Harry.

The dark haired boy flushed. “Are you serious?” He asked.

“Of course I am Harry. Now, I see that I’m not needed here, so I’ll go back to the infirmary. Go to sleep soon young man, you can’t take care of someone if you don’t take care of yourself.” Poppy said smiling, and she went to the living room to take the Floo.

“Goodnight Poppy.” Harry said smiling.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hi everybody, first of all, I want to thank you for reading my story, and for your reviews. I’m writing this to tell you that I’ll stop updating the story for some time. I’m starting with the exams in the university and I have a lot to study. I will continue writing though, but I’ll be doing it when I can so I’ve thought that it’s better to take a break from updating. I promise you I’ll continue the story, just give me some time. Thank you for understanding :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3350