On the Flip Side by Evangeline_Snape
Summary: Originally by MusicMelis om Fanfiction.net After Harry runs away from his relative's during the summer and gets in a fight the first day of school, Snape argues that he needs to be watched more and have more guidance. His argument backfires when Dumbledore suggests Harry be in Slytherin for a term. Will Harry see another side to the Slytherins? And will Snape finally see the real Harry? Third Year. Mentor/Guardian Snape
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 19761 Read: 16119 Published: 07 Dec 2016 Updated: 17 Jan 2017
Chapter 2 by Evangeline_Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, these works are credited to J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis respectively.
Harry had been locked in his room for almost a week. The only thing his Aunt put through the cat flap was a couple bottles of water. He was allowed out to use the loo in the morning and evening. Harry carefully pushed himself into a sitting position on his bed. His face hurt from being slapped by Aunt Petunia and he had bruises on his arms and back from his Uncle hitting him. Vernon had also punched him in the side where he was already hurt. Needless to say, they were not pleased to see him return. His relative's had been adamant that he was not allowed back in the house when he had shown up on their porch. Aunt Petunia changed her mind after reading the letter from Dumbledore and had reluctantly told Uncle Vernon that they had to take him back. Harry had then received his "punishment" and was still recovering from it. He didn't know how bad he was hurt but at least he could now move around without wanting to scream in agony.

Of course, getting his Hogsmeade permission slip signed was out. He wondered if Professor McGonagall could sign it for him.

There was tapping at his window and Harry saw it was Hedwig. He slowly made his way to open it and she flew in and circled him, hooting.

"Shh." Harry whispered, not wanting his relative's to hear her.

Hedwig gazed at him and Harry was sure he could see concern in her eyes. "I'm okay." Harry said softly as he sat back down on the bed. Hedwig settled herself on his shoulder and very softly hooted in his ear as if singing a lullaby. Tears burned in Harry's eyes as he reached up and stroked her soft feathers. Harry didn't know how she knew he needed a friend but guessed it was because she was his familiar. She stayed with him until he fell asleep before she flew back out the window that was still open.

HPHPHPHP

A few days before school was to begin Harry received a note from Dumbledore that he was arranging Arthur Weasley to pick him up to take him to get his books as well as let him stay at the Burrow. Harry was beyond relieved. His Aunt and Uncle had started letting him out of his room to do chores but his Uncle and Dudley knocked him around whenever the mood struck them which was even more than usual. Harry had been feeling light headed and weak. He figured it was because he was hungry and he couldn't wait to leave. The only thing that concerned him was his appearance. He had lost a good deal of weight and was pale with dark shadows under his eyes, plus the bruises. He worried about what Mr. Weasley would say when he saw him and how he would explain it. After worrying about it suddenly one morning the problem solved itself. His appearance changed and there were no signs of how horrible his summer had been. Accidental magic again, Harry thought absently as he gazed at his now healthy looking reflection.

Finally the day had arrived and Harry was bringing his things downstairs. He stood by his cupboard.

"Wait outside for your freaky friend." Vernon said as he opened the cupboard and let Harry take his trunk. "I don't want more of your kind in my home!"

"Fine with me." Harry replied taking his things and lugging them out to the porch. He didn't want Arthur Weasley subjected to his Uncle anyway.

"Tell that Headmaster of yours that we don't want any letters informing us you have been hurt or anything." Aunt Petunia added with a glare. "We don't care. The only letter I would welcome is if it is informing us that you died or something." She and Vernon laughed.

Harry rolled his eyes and waited outside breathing a sigh of relief when they slammed the door shut. He didn't have to see them again until next summer.

"Harry!" Arthur Weasley greeted him as he walked up to his house. "Have you been waiting long? You didn't have to wait outside."

"Oh, um, I was just excited." Harry said, watching as Mr. Weasley shrunk his trunk, duffel bag and Hedwig's cage. "Thanks for coming to get me Mr. Weasley."

"It's no problem Harry. Ron can't wait to see you. Actually the whole Weasley clan can't wait to see you." Mr. Weasley said as they walked down and found a spot where no one would see them. "You probably haven't apparated before have you? Grab a hold of my arm. It may be a little uncomfortable." He warned Harry.

Harry did as he said and closed his eyes as he felt a like he was being squeezed. He swayed after Mr. Weasley said they had arrived at the Burrow. Mr. Weasley helped to steady him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. That was…interesting." Harry said as he took a deep breath. He felt like he was going to be sick. Once the feeling passed he smiled at the sight of the Burrow. It was truly a magical house and he thought it was brilliant.

"Hey Harry!" Ron greeted when he walked inside.

"Hey Ron!" Harry grinned at his best friend.

Ron helped him carry his things upstairs and into Ron's room. There was a cot set up for Harry and he happily plopped himself on it.

"So mate, what happened this summer?" Ron asked in a hushed voice. "Dad said he heard you showed up at the Leaky Cauldron and Fudge had to send you back home."

Harry thought quickly. Some of the truth he could tell. "I blew up my Aunt Marge." He admitted. He laughed at the shocked look on Ron's face.

"You did what? You blew her up!" Ron gaped at him.

"I didn't mean to. I don't even know how I did it." Harry said with a shrug. "I got angry and the next thing I know she was inflating like a balloon." He looked at Ron and they both started laughing.

"Oh man." Ron said chuckling, shaking his head. "If I ever did that to my Aunt Muriel, Mum would kill me! And you didn't get into trouble?"

Harry stiffened slightly. "What do you mean?"

"You know, with the ministry." Ron was fiddling in his desk drawer and didn't see Harry's tense expression.

Harry relaxed. "No, at least Fudge didn't say anything. He just sent me back to the Dursley's." Which had been punishment enough.

"You get away with everything mate." Ron offered Harry a chocolate frog.

"Yup, lucky me." Harry said, keeping his tone casual. They talked Quidditch until it was time to go to Diagon Alley to get their school supplies.

Harry was happy when they ran into Hermione and the three friends caught up as they bought their books.

"Blimey Hermione, how many classes are you taking?" Ron asked as he watched her carry a pile of books to the counter.

"I don't know what you're talking about Ron." Hermione said huffily as she paid for her books.

"What two electives did you add?" Harry asked curiously.

"All of them." Hermione answered.

Ron stared at her like she had grown two heads. "Are you mental? Why all of them? I mean, what can you learn from muggle studies? You're a muggle-born!"

"But it will be so interesting to learn it from a Wizarding point of view!" Hermione said excitedly.

Ron rolled his eyes and Harry was about to laugh when a wave of dizziness hit him and he staggered a bit.

"Harry? Are you okay?' Hermione asked in concern. She took a step towards him and studied his face.

Harry shook his head to clear it. "I'm fine. I think I'm still dizzy from apparating earlier. I can't figure out which is worse, that or the floo." He joked.

"Hmm." Hermione said, exchanging a look with Ron.

Harry sighed. "What?"

"They didn't feed you again did they?" Ron asked in a quiet voice. It was obvious that he was talking about the Dursley's.

Harry shrugged. "They fed me a little. I'll make up for it at your house and Hogwarts." He grinned.

"Well, at least you don't look like you've lost much weight." Hormone said as she looked him over.

"I'm fine. Really." Harry assured them, grateful that his accidental magic had created the glamour. He didn't want to even think of what their reactions would be if they saw what he really looked like. He knew he couldn't tell them about the way the Dursley's really treated him as then they would just worry and it wasn't like anyone could do anything about it anyway. It was humiliating enough that they knew the Dursley's didn't like to feed him and hated him.

HPHPHPHP

Dinner was delicious though Harry could only manage a little bit as his stomach started to hurt. He stayed downstairs after Ron, Ginny and the twins went upstairs for the night and cleaned up from where they had been playing exploding snap. After he was done, Harry started to go upstairs but part of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's conversation stopped him.

"Harry has a right to know." Mr. Weasley insisted to his wife.

Mrs. Weasley shook her head. "He doesn't need to know all the details. What would be the point? Besides, it is not our place." Mrs. Weasley said regretfully. "I'm sure Albus will tell him if he thinks he should know."

"I still think it would be better if Harry was fully warned. He needs to know so he can be more careful." Mr. Weasley sighed. "He's a good kid. I just want him safe."

"So do I. I feel like he is part of the family as it is." Mrs. Weasley smiled.

Harry gave a smile at that though he was curious as to what Mr. Weasley wanted to warn him about. What was going on? The only think he had heard about recently was the Sirius Black prisoner who escaped. But it couldn't be about that, what would that have to do with Harry? He felt frustrated that something was going on, something that Mr. Weasley thought he should know about and he was being kept in the dark. He tried to stuff down his anger about it, stuff it down with the anger he felt at being treated the way he was by his relative's. He just wondered how much longer he could keep a lid on his emotions.

HPHPHPHP

Finally it was September 1st and it was time to board the Hogwarts Express. Parents and students were on the platform saying goodbye to each other.

"Behave yourselves! Study hard but have fun too! Ron, Fred and George I don't want to have to send any howlers this year!" Mrs. Weasley was calling as they started to board the train.

Harry was about to follow when Mr. Weasley pulled him aside. "Harry, I just want to warn you to be extra careful this year."

Harry looked at Mr. Weasley's worried face. "Is this because of the prisoner that escaped? Sirius Black?"

Mr. Weasley nodded seriously. "He's dangerous Harry. And he was a supporter of You-Know-Who. There is a chance he could want to come after you. No one wanted to worry you about it but as you kids tend to get into mischief," He smiled knowingly. "I just think you should know so you will be extra aware."

Harry nodded. "Thank you for telling me the truth. I'll be careful." He promised. As he boarded the train he thought about what Mr. Weasley had said. Did Sirius Black really escape from Azkaban to come after him? That was…disturbing. Harry really wanted a stress free year. That wasn't too much to ask for was it?

Harry boarded the train and began making his way down the aisle to join his friends when he was pushed from behind. He stumbled and his quick reflexes kept him from falling on his face. "Hey!"

Jeremy Stretton, a fifth year Ravenclaw who a chaser on the Quidditch team, sneered at him. "Oh, so sorry boy hero."

"We wouldn't want to damage the celebrity." Grant Page, a fellow Ravenclaw who also played on the Quidditch team as keeper, added in mock concern.

Harry gritted his teeth. He was really not in the mood to be bullied yet again. He had had enough of that this past summer. He knew these two didn't like him; they glared at him and made snide comments each time Gryffindor won against them. "Sod off." He snapped and pushed ahead to the compartment Ron and Hermione were waiting in.

"What took you so long?" Ron asked in a loud whisper. He nodded towards the man seated across from him who was leaning against the window and sleeping.

Harry looked at the man curiously and sat next to him. "Stretton and Page thought they would have some fun." He shrugged, wincing. The pain in his side was getting worse and several bruises that he still had were aching. Too bad the glamour didn't mask the actual pain too.

"Those two are such bullies." Hermione said as she petted her new familiar, an orange cat named Crookshanks.

"They should be in Slytherin with the way they act." Ron huffed.

Harry glanced over at the sleeping stranger and asked quietly, "Do you know who he is?"

"No idea." Ron shrugged.

"Professor R. Lupin." Hermione answered.

Ron's mouth fell open. "How do you know that? How do you know everything? Blimey!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "It's written on his suitcase Ronald, honestly."

"Oh." Ron looked embarrassed.

Harry grinned and then leaned forward. "Your Dad pulled me aside before I boarded the train." He told them quietly, not wanting to risk being overheard by the new Professor. "To warn me."

"Warn you about what?" Hermione asked in concern as she and Ron also leaned forward.

"You heard about the escaped prisoner right?" Harry asked.

"Sirius Black." Ron nodded.

"They don't know how he could have escaped. Azkaban is supposed to be escape proof. He killed thirteen people." Hermione said with a slight shiver.

Harry cleared his throat. "Well, apparently he was in league with Voldemort." He ignored the wince Ron gave at the name. "And it's possible he may be after me."

Hermione eyes widened. "What? Oh Harry, that's horrible! What steps are being done to protect you?"

"I don't know. I'm not even supposed to know about it." Harry answered. "I think it is just a possibility that he might be after me." He tried to sound unconcerned.

"Wow mate. I take back what I said the other day. You have some bad luck." Ron whistled slowly.

Harry snorted. "I doubt it's anything to really worry about. Besides, Hogwarts is safe enough." Even though I've almost died there the last two years, he thought with a grimace.

"Harry, you have to be really careful this year." Hermione said with wide eyes. "Follow all the rules and we'll have to keep an extra eye out during the Hogsmeade trips."

"I can't go to Hogsmeade. My relative's didn't sign my permission slip." Harry said with a sigh.

"You have to go! Just get McGonagall to sign it!" Ron looked horrified at the thought of not being able to go to Hogsmeade.

"Professor McGonagall is not his guardian Ron." Hermione pointed out. She looked at Harry sympathetically. "It couldn't hurt to ask though. But maybe it is better that you don't go if a murderer is after you."

"He may not even be after me." Harry said in frustration. He closed his, as his head felt like it was spinning. I must be coming down with something, he thought.

Suddenly they noticed the train was slowing down and then stopped completely.

"Are we there already? That was fast." Ron remarked as he pushed the small cage holding his pet rat further away from Crookshanks who was staring at it hungrily.

"We can't be there already." Hermione said as she looked out the window. "There is something out there."

Ron and Harry peered out the window as well and watched in surprise as frost settled in on the windows. It began to get dark and cold, a chill making all of them shiver.

"What's going on?" Ron asked nervously.

The compartment door opened and a shadowy figure began to float in and soon all Harry could feel was cold and despair. He saw a flash of green light and heard a woman screaming.

"Expecto Patronam!"

The last thing Harry saw before passing out was what looked like a large silvery white balloon.

HPHPHPHP

When Harry came to he was surrounded by Ron, Hermione and the new Professor.

"Harry, are you alright?" Hermione asked anxiously.

Harry nodded slowly, though he felt chilled and weak. "What happened? Who screamed?"

Ron looked confused. "Nobody screamed."

"Here, this will help." Professor Lupin handed each of them a piece of chocolate.

"What was that thing?" Ron asked as he took a bite.

"A Dementor. Excuse me; I need to go talk to the driver." Professor Lupin strolled out of the compartment.

"What is a Dementor?" Harry asked as he bit into the chocolate. He immediately felt warmth spread through him.

"They are the guards at Azkaban. It was here looking for Sirius Black!" Ron said excitedly, feeling better since eating the chocolate.

Hermione nodded. "The Professor told it that none of us were hiding Sirius Black here and to go away. When it didn't he said a spell and something silvery shot out and it backed away."

"But you didn't hear anyone scream?" Harry pressed. He was sure he had heard it. "And did anyone else, er, pass out?"

Ron looked uncomfortable. "Well, no. I think it was just you. But it was awful, I felt like I would never be cheerful again!"

Hermione frowned. "We didn't hear anyone scream. It's odd that you did though."

"Hey Potter! There is a rumor going around that you fainted! Someone heard the driver talking to someone about it. Please tell me it's true." Draco Malfoy was standing in their doorway, looking gleeful.

"Go away Malfoy!" Ron said angrily.

"It's true then." Draco exchanged a grin with fellow Slytherin Theodore Nott. "We better be off and make sure that everyone knows!" Draco and Theo left, laughing their heads off.

Harry slumped back in his seat. They hadn't even arrived at Hogwarts and already the year was off to a bad start.

TBC:
To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review, it let's both the original author and myself know what you think of this fan fiction.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3369