On the Flip Side by Evangeline_Snape
Summary: Originally by MusicMelis om Fanfiction.net After Harry runs away from his relative's during the summer and gets in a fight the first day of school, Snape argues that he needs to be watched more and have more guidance. His argument backfires when Dumbledore suggests Harry be in Slytherin for a term. Will Harry see another side to the Slytherins? And will Snape finally see the real Harry? Third Year. Mentor/Guardian Snape
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 19761 Read: 16124 Published: 07 Dec 2016 Updated: 17 Jan 2017
Story Notes:
I do not own the story, plot or characters, the story and plot are owned by MusicMelis on Fanfiction.net and they ave graciously allowed me to post their story on this website. The characters themselves are owned by J.K. Rowling, I do not claim to own the story, plot or characters.

1. Chapter 1 by Evangeline_Snape

2. Chapter 2 by Evangeline_Snape

3. Chapter 3 by Evangeline_Snape

4. Chapter 4 by Evangeline_Snape

5. Chapter 5 by Evangeline_Snape

6. Chapter 6 by Evangeline_Snape

Chapter 1 by Evangeline_Snape
Author's Notes:
Owned by MusicMelis, I don't claim ownership to this story.
Thirteen year old Harry Potter sighed as he cleaned the kitchen counters. He had already cleaned them twice but his Aunt Petunia had insisted it wasn't clean enough. She was always been picky but she was exceptionally so as Uncle Vernon's sister Marge was coming to stay for a few days. Harry hated Aunt Marge. She was just as mean and spiteful as Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon and Dudley. He couldn't wait to be done so he could hide upstairs and look through the birthday gifts Hedwig had brought him at midnight. Hermione had given him a broomstick servicing kit and Ron had given him a Sneakoscope that was supposed to light up if someone dodgy was around. Hagrid had sent him an interesting gift. A book called The Monster Book of Monster which had almost bitten his hand off.

Harry finished the counters and then stood back to wait for Aunt Petunia to inspect it. Again. He absentmindedly rubbed his side where Dudley had kicked him after pushing him down yesterday. He was already counting down the days until he could go back to his real home which was Hogwarts. Harry would rather be there cleaning Snape's dungeon with a toothbrush than to be in this house.

Aunt Petunia came up beside him and inspected the sparkling counters. "I suppose this will have to do." She pursed her lips which made Harry always thought made her look like a horse. "The living room could use another once over."

"But I already-"Harry stopped. Really, what was the point? "Fine. I'll go clean the living room. Again."

"Watch your manners boy!" Aunt Petunia glared hatefully at her nephew. "Unless you would like a week with no food? And that will include your annoying owl as well!"

Harry gritted his teeth against all the things he would like to tell his Aunt. He simply nodded and did as she asked. He didn't want to risk going yet another week without food as it seemed every other week he was being punished with barely any food at all. He decided to send Hedwig to the Burrow for the summer. He liked having her with him as she was the only company he had during the summers but he couldn't risk her starving or worse. Uncle Vernon had threatened to shoot her more than once.

Harry pretended to pick up the living room as there was nothing to pick up. He was fluffing the pillows when Uncle Vernon walked in. "All right boy, Marge should be arriving any minute. No freakiness better happen while she is here or else." He narrowed his beady eyes at Harry.

Harry took a deep breath. He had a reason to try and be polite besides not wanting to get hit or starved. Professor McGonagall had sent him a permission slip for Hogsmeade as third years were allowed to go. "I wanted to ask a favor Uncle Vernon. I was given a permission slip for a field trip at Hog- school and I was wondering if you would sign it." Harry wasn't stupid. He knew that in any other scenario his relatives would refuse to sign but as Marge would be here, he figured it was an angle he could work. "If I knew I was going to get to go on the field trip I'm sure it would stop any, um, freaky things from happening."

Uncle Vernon opened his mouth to say no but then thought about it. He really didn't want his sister to know how much of a freak his nephew was. "Fine." He grudgingly said. "If you behave the whole week while Marge is here I will sign your form."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "How do I know you actually will sign it?"

Vernon smiled nastily. "You don't. But it is the best chance you have isn't it?"

That was true. Harry gave a stiff nod. "All right. But she better behave too."

"Listen here you freak. Marge may say and do whatever she wants. Just smile and nod no matter what she says and stay out of the way all right?" Vernon glared at him. The doorbell rang and he gave Harry another glare and then went to answer it.

Harry heard Vernon greeting his sister and closed his eyes. He really hated that woman but it would be worth being civil to her in order to go to Hogsmeade.

"Where's my Dudders? Where's my precious nephew?" Aunt Marge, just as large as her brother, lumbered in the living room. She gave Harry a dirty look. "My bags aren't going to move themselves boy." She gestured towards the porch and then continued calling Dudley.

Harry obediently went and grabbed her bags, dodging Marge's bulldog Ripper whose favorite hobby was biting Harry. He brought the bags in and took them upstairs to the room Marge stayed in when she visited. He went back downstairs and watched Marge fuss over Dudley.

"Look at my Dudley! Such a handsome boy!" Marge cried. Petunia and Vernon smiled proudly at their son, who was so large he didn't walk so much as waddle.

"Hi Aunt Marge. You look as lovely as always." Dudley gave his Aunt a fake smile as he knew she would shower him with gifts.

Petunia looked close to tears. "Isn't he the sweetest thing?"

Harry wanted to gag but kept a neutral expression on his face. He was hoping to get to grab some food and then escape to his bedroom.

Marge handed Dudley a gift bag full of presents and also handed him some money. "For the best nephew in the world." She said fondly. She caught sight of Harry. "Hope you aren't expecting any gifts from me boy."

Harry wanted to tell her he didn't want anything from her ever but simply stayed silent. He ignored Dudley laughing at him.

Petunia clapped her hands together. "We have reservations we don't want to be late for. Marge you will love this restaurant. It is very refined."

"Sounds wonderful Petunia. I will be paying for dinner of course." She glanced over at Harry. "Feed Ripper so that the rest of us can leave." She put a bag down on the coffee table. "If you like, you may share his food." She said with a mean smile. The Dursley's all laughed.

Harry walked into the kitchen to get a bowl for the dog, going over different Quidditch moves in his mind to drown out his relatives. After he fed the dog he saw his Uncle waiting for him. "Hurry up, I'm hungry." He muttered as he huffed his way upstairs to lock Harry in his room. The Dursley's never let him be alone in the house without locking him up. They said they didn't trust him not to ruin their nice things. "Can I have some food?" He asked as he stepped into his room.

"Greedy aren't you?" Uncle Vernon slammed the door shut and bolted all the locks.

Harry looked at Hedwig who was in her cage and shrugged. He did have some food hidden in his room. Mrs. Weasley had sent him a cake for his birthday. He lifted the floorboard and took it out, breaking off a piece for Hedwig. She gobbled it up and he petted her gently. "I'm going to send you to the Burrow for the rest of summer Hedwig." He said softly. She looked at him reproachfully and hooted. Harry shook his head. "It will be safer for you there. They'll feed you and you won't have to stay in your cage all day. I'll be fine." He assured her.

Thankfully the bars were off of his window. Uncle Vernon had said there was no use to pay for the bars when some flying car would just come and tear them off. He wrote a note for Ron and tied it to Hedwig's leg. He sent her off and watched her fly off into the night sky. He wished he could fly with her.

HPHPHPHPHP

Harry did fairly well of staying out of Marge's way the next few days. He made the food and did his usual chores which was pretty much everything and endured the cruel jokes made at his expense. He said nothing when Ripper bit his leg so hard it bled and kept quiet when Dudley punched him in his still sore side.

It all paid off when Harry was cooking the last meal for Marge Dursley. She was leaving early the next morning and then Harry could finally get his permission slip signed.

"I really have to admire you Petunia." Marge said as the Dursley's ate their dinner while Harry cleaned up the kitchen from making everyone dinner. He managed to scarf down some bread while they ate in case he didn't get any leftovers.

"Taking in your pathetic sister's child the way you did." Marge shook her head, her multiple chins wobbling. "I would have drowned the little brat if it were me."

"Yes, well." Petunia threw a look to Harry and then Vernon. "It was the right thing to do."

"It's just who we are." Vernon added.

Marge poured herself another glass of brandy. "You two are such good people. Especially knowing the boy's history with having parents like his."

Harry looked up from his cleaning and narrowed his eyes at Marge. He could take insults against himself but not at his parents.

"Would you like more casserole Marge?" Vernon asked hastily. He didn't want to risk one of the boy's episodes.

"Just a bit Vernon." Marge answered with a chuckle. "I have to keep watch of what I eat."

Harry couldn't help snorting at that as he returned to washing the pans.

Marge threw him a glance. "Did you say something boy?"

"No Aunt Marge." Harry responded.

"I don't like your tone boy. Do they not beat you hard enough at that school you go to? What school is it again Vernon?" Marge poured herself yet another glass of brandy.

"St. Brutus's Secure Centre for hopeless cases Marge." Vernon said with a glare in Harry's direction as if warning the boy not to contradict him.

"Make sure to let that school know you don't mind if brute force is used to control the whelp." Marge nodded. "It's all you can do for a boy like that. He will probably end up like his parents anyway. An out of work drunk."

"My parents were not out of work drunks!" Harry said loudly. They died protecting him; he would not let her talk about them like that.

Marge grinned, her face red from all the alcohol she had been drinking. "Proud of you loser parents are you boy? The world is a better place without people like that! Especially your mother from what Petunia has told me. Was she even sure her husband was the boy's father Petunia?" Marge chuckled. "They got themselves killed and should have had you with them when they did I say!"

"Shut up!" Harry yelled as his temper fully loose now. How dare she? How dare she imply that about his mother!

"Don't you talk to me like that you-"She broke off as she noticed her hand getting bigger. And bigger. She looked down and noticed her body was doing the same thing.

"Marge?" Petunia watched in shock as her sister-in-law began inflating.

Vernon turned to Harry. "Set her to rights! Now!"

Harry was shaking, he was so angry. He didn't even know how he had done that to Marge, but he didn't care. She had been way out of line!

Ripper began barking as Marge began to float out of her chair like a hot air balloon and Dudley took a break from stuffing his face to watch in horror as his Aunt floated out through the sliding doors.

"Marge come back!" Vernon ran after his sister and tried to grab her hand as she floated up into the sky. When he began to rise up with her he let go and could only watch as she shrieked as she rose higher and higher.

Vernon raced back into the kitchen. "Fix her boy or I'll kill you!"

Harry had no idea how to fix her even if he wanted to. All he knew was that he had had enough. He ran to his room and quickly packed. His trunk was in his cupboard so he went downstairs and got it out. He had known how to pick the cheap lock on the cupboard for awhile now. He headed towards the front door.

"Fix her!" Vernon stomped up to him and without warning backhanded him.

Harry steadied himself and took out his wand and pointed it straight between his Uncle's eyes. "Don't test me anymore. I have nothing to lose now." He said calmly.

Vernon's eyes widened and he took a step back. "Fine. Get out."

"Happily." Harry lugged his trunk, duffel bag and Hedwig's cage outside and didn't stop moving until he got to the corner. He looked up and could see Marge still rolling through the evening sky.

Harry didn't know what to do. He didn't have Hedwig so he couldn't send a letter asking for help. He had no friends here. He supposed he could go to Mrs. Figgs house. She seemed to like him well enough and then he could figure out what to do. Before he could start walking he heard a loud bark. He looked across the street and saw a huge black dog staring at him. He really didn't want another dog bite so he waved his wand around hoping to scare it. "Go away!"

A loud noise caught his attention as a triple-decker purple bus suddenly popped onto the street. Harry stumbled back from shock and fell over his trunk.

A guy looking to be in his early twenties stepped out of the bus. "Good evening! Welcome to the Knight Bus, the best transport for the stranded witch or wizard. The name is Stan Shunpike and I am your conductor this evening. We can take you anywhere you want to go except nothing underwater!" He looked down at Harry in confusion. "What are you doing down there?"

"I fell." Harry said as he got back up.

Stan looked at him curiously. "What did you fall down for?"

"It's not like I did it on purpose!" Harry said as he brushed himself off. He looked across the street and saw that the dog was gone.

"What's your name again?" Stan asked as he looked at him curiously.

"Uh, Neville." Harry blurted out as he brushed his fringe down over his scar. He hated how people reacted when they found out who he was. It was ridicules to be famous for something he couldn't even remember.

"Well Neville, where would you like a ride to? You did summon us." Stan said.

Harry was surprised. "I did? How did I do that?"

Stan looked exasperated. "You flung your wand out of course! Now do you want a ride or not?"

"Yes, I do." Harry thought quickly. "Um, the Leaky Cauldron." He had some money on him and could probably afford a room for a night or two until he could get a hold of the Weasley's. He wondered if he could live with them as he was sure to be expelled.

Harry boarded the bus and was shocked to see cots in it. There were a few people sleeping and luggage was simply strewn all over. Harry took a seat on a cot up front and set his luggage beside him. He ended up hugging his luggage as the bus drove very fast and jerky. Thinking he might be sick he shut his eyes.

"Here we are!" Stan announced a few minutes later.

Harry opened his eyes and hurried off the bus. He was about to thank Stan when a familiar looking man came up to him. He remembered him as the minister of magic who had arrested Hagrid despite Hagrid being innocent.

"There you are!" The man said in relief. "Well, Mr. Potter you gave us quite a fright!"

"I thought you said your name was Neville." Stan protested. He looked at the driver. "Hear that Ernie? We gave a ride to the Harry Potter!"

"Yes yes. Mr. Potter I am Cornelius Fudge Minister of Magic. I just want to assure you that your Aunt has been put back right and her memory modified. No harm done." Fudge said jovially. "You are free to return home now."

Harry's mouth dropped open. "What? I'm not going back!"

Fudge frowned. "If you are worried about your relative's being mad I have already been in touch with Albus Dumbledore and he sent me a note for you to give to them." He handed Harry the letter. "What happened to your face?"

Harry was about to say the usual, that he fell, but decided to be truthful. He didn't want to think about what would happen to him if he went back. Since he obviously wasn't being expelled he couldn't' risk doing magic again therefore he couldn't defend himself. "My uncle is what happened."

Fudge looked surprised but then his face relaxed. "Well, nothing wrong with having strict guardians is there? Your Uncle was understandably upset, I'm sure. You are safe at your home Mr. Potter and I am sure your relative's just want to make sure you make better decisions. There is an escaped murderer on the loose after all."

That distracted Harry from protesting to the rubbish Fudge had been spewing about his relatives. "The only escaped murderer I've heard of was on the muggle news. Sirius Black, I think."

Fudge looked uncomfortable. "He's actually a wizard though muggles should be aware of him too. Very dangerous. You best get back home now."

Harry shook his head. "You don't understand how it is there-"

"Now Mr. Potter you should feel very lucky that you are not being punished for using magic. Try not to do that again, you've put your guardians through a lot tonight. My suggestion is to apologize, give them the Headmaster's letter and accept whatever punishment they may give you." He looked at the conductor who had been watching in fascination. "Stan, take him back to where you found him."

Before Harry could try and protest again Stan had grabbed his luggage and put it back in the bus. Harry looked at Fudge who was looking at his watch impatiently and decided it wasn't worth trying to argue. He had told the truth about how he was treated at the Dursley's and just like the one time he had told someone as a child, no one cared. The same had happened when he had tried to hint to Dumbledore exactly why he wished to stay at Hogwarts during the summer. Harry had then been told about the blood wards and how important they supposedly were. Feeling incredibly nervous at what would await him at the Dursley's; he thanked the minister and got back on the bus. He was going back and could only hope he would survive it.
To be continued...
End Notes:
I may not own the story, but reviews are appreciated and will be shared with the original author.
Chapter 2 by Evangeline_Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, these works are credited to J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis respectively.
Harry had been locked in his room for almost a week. The only thing his Aunt put through the cat flap was a couple bottles of water. He was allowed out to use the loo in the morning and evening. Harry carefully pushed himself into a sitting position on his bed. His face hurt from being slapped by Aunt Petunia and he had bruises on his arms and back from his Uncle hitting him. Vernon had also punched him in the side where he was already hurt. Needless to say, they were not pleased to see him return. His relative's had been adamant that he was not allowed back in the house when he had shown up on their porch. Aunt Petunia changed her mind after reading the letter from Dumbledore and had reluctantly told Uncle Vernon that they had to take him back. Harry had then received his "punishment" and was still recovering from it. He didn't know how bad he was hurt but at least he could now move around without wanting to scream in agony.

Of course, getting his Hogsmeade permission slip signed was out. He wondered if Professor McGonagall could sign it for him.

There was tapping at his window and Harry saw it was Hedwig. He slowly made his way to open it and she flew in and circled him, hooting.

"Shh." Harry whispered, not wanting his relative's to hear her.

Hedwig gazed at him and Harry was sure he could see concern in her eyes. "I'm okay." Harry said softly as he sat back down on the bed. Hedwig settled herself on his shoulder and very softly hooted in his ear as if singing a lullaby. Tears burned in Harry's eyes as he reached up and stroked her soft feathers. Harry didn't know how she knew he needed a friend but guessed it was because she was his familiar. She stayed with him until he fell asleep before she flew back out the window that was still open.

HPHPHPHP

A few days before school was to begin Harry received a note from Dumbledore that he was arranging Arthur Weasley to pick him up to take him to get his books as well as let him stay at the Burrow. Harry was beyond relieved. His Aunt and Uncle had started letting him out of his room to do chores but his Uncle and Dudley knocked him around whenever the mood struck them which was even more than usual. Harry had been feeling light headed and weak. He figured it was because he was hungry and he couldn't wait to leave. The only thing that concerned him was his appearance. He had lost a good deal of weight and was pale with dark shadows under his eyes, plus the bruises. He worried about what Mr. Weasley would say when he saw him and how he would explain it. After worrying about it suddenly one morning the problem solved itself. His appearance changed and there were no signs of how horrible his summer had been. Accidental magic again, Harry thought absently as he gazed at his now healthy looking reflection.

Finally the day had arrived and Harry was bringing his things downstairs. He stood by his cupboard.

"Wait outside for your freaky friend." Vernon said as he opened the cupboard and let Harry take his trunk. "I don't want more of your kind in my home!"

"Fine with me." Harry replied taking his things and lugging them out to the porch. He didn't want Arthur Weasley subjected to his Uncle anyway.

"Tell that Headmaster of yours that we don't want any letters informing us you have been hurt or anything." Aunt Petunia added with a glare. "We don't care. The only letter I would welcome is if it is informing us that you died or something." She and Vernon laughed.

Harry rolled his eyes and waited outside breathing a sigh of relief when they slammed the door shut. He didn't have to see them again until next summer.

"Harry!" Arthur Weasley greeted him as he walked up to his house. "Have you been waiting long? You didn't have to wait outside."

"Oh, um, I was just excited." Harry said, watching as Mr. Weasley shrunk his trunk, duffel bag and Hedwig's cage. "Thanks for coming to get me Mr. Weasley."

"It's no problem Harry. Ron can't wait to see you. Actually the whole Weasley clan can't wait to see you." Mr. Weasley said as they walked down and found a spot where no one would see them. "You probably haven't apparated before have you? Grab a hold of my arm. It may be a little uncomfortable." He warned Harry.

Harry did as he said and closed his eyes as he felt a like he was being squeezed. He swayed after Mr. Weasley said they had arrived at the Burrow. Mr. Weasley helped to steady him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. That was…interesting." Harry said as he took a deep breath. He felt like he was going to be sick. Once the feeling passed he smiled at the sight of the Burrow. It was truly a magical house and he thought it was brilliant.

"Hey Harry!" Ron greeted when he walked inside.

"Hey Ron!" Harry grinned at his best friend.

Ron helped him carry his things upstairs and into Ron's room. There was a cot set up for Harry and he happily plopped himself on it.

"So mate, what happened this summer?" Ron asked in a hushed voice. "Dad said he heard you showed up at the Leaky Cauldron and Fudge had to send you back home."

Harry thought quickly. Some of the truth he could tell. "I blew up my Aunt Marge." He admitted. He laughed at the shocked look on Ron's face.

"You did what? You blew her up!" Ron gaped at him.

"I didn't mean to. I don't even know how I did it." Harry said with a shrug. "I got angry and the next thing I know she was inflating like a balloon." He looked at Ron and they both started laughing.

"Oh man." Ron said chuckling, shaking his head. "If I ever did that to my Aunt Muriel, Mum would kill me! And you didn't get into trouble?"

Harry stiffened slightly. "What do you mean?"

"You know, with the ministry." Ron was fiddling in his desk drawer and didn't see Harry's tense expression.

Harry relaxed. "No, at least Fudge didn't say anything. He just sent me back to the Dursley's." Which had been punishment enough.

"You get away with everything mate." Ron offered Harry a chocolate frog.

"Yup, lucky me." Harry said, keeping his tone casual. They talked Quidditch until it was time to go to Diagon Alley to get their school supplies.

Harry was happy when they ran into Hermione and the three friends caught up as they bought their books.

"Blimey Hermione, how many classes are you taking?" Ron asked as he watched her carry a pile of books to the counter.

"I don't know what you're talking about Ron." Hermione said huffily as she paid for her books.

"What two electives did you add?" Harry asked curiously.

"All of them." Hermione answered.

Ron stared at her like she had grown two heads. "Are you mental? Why all of them? I mean, what can you learn from muggle studies? You're a muggle-born!"

"But it will be so interesting to learn it from a Wizarding point of view!" Hermione said excitedly.

Ron rolled his eyes and Harry was about to laugh when a wave of dizziness hit him and he staggered a bit.

"Harry? Are you okay?' Hermione asked in concern. She took a step towards him and studied his face.

Harry shook his head to clear it. "I'm fine. I think I'm still dizzy from apparating earlier. I can't figure out which is worse, that or the floo." He joked.

"Hmm." Hermione said, exchanging a look with Ron.

Harry sighed. "What?"

"They didn't feed you again did they?" Ron asked in a quiet voice. It was obvious that he was talking about the Dursley's.

Harry shrugged. "They fed me a little. I'll make up for it at your house and Hogwarts." He grinned.

"Well, at least you don't look like you've lost much weight." Hormone said as she looked him over.

"I'm fine. Really." Harry assured them, grateful that his accidental magic had created the glamour. He didn't want to even think of what their reactions would be if they saw what he really looked like. He knew he couldn't tell them about the way the Dursley's really treated him as then they would just worry and it wasn't like anyone could do anything about it anyway. It was humiliating enough that they knew the Dursley's didn't like to feed him and hated him.

HPHPHPHP

Dinner was delicious though Harry could only manage a little bit as his stomach started to hurt. He stayed downstairs after Ron, Ginny and the twins went upstairs for the night and cleaned up from where they had been playing exploding snap. After he was done, Harry started to go upstairs but part of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's conversation stopped him.

"Harry has a right to know." Mr. Weasley insisted to his wife.

Mrs. Weasley shook her head. "He doesn't need to know all the details. What would be the point? Besides, it is not our place." Mrs. Weasley said regretfully. "I'm sure Albus will tell him if he thinks he should know."

"I still think it would be better if Harry was fully warned. He needs to know so he can be more careful." Mr. Weasley sighed. "He's a good kid. I just want him safe."

"So do I. I feel like he is part of the family as it is." Mrs. Weasley smiled.

Harry gave a smile at that though he was curious as to what Mr. Weasley wanted to warn him about. What was going on? The only think he had heard about recently was the Sirius Black prisoner who escaped. But it couldn't be about that, what would that have to do with Harry? He felt frustrated that something was going on, something that Mr. Weasley thought he should know about and he was being kept in the dark. He tried to stuff down his anger about it, stuff it down with the anger he felt at being treated the way he was by his relative's. He just wondered how much longer he could keep a lid on his emotions.

HPHPHPHP

Finally it was September 1st and it was time to board the Hogwarts Express. Parents and students were on the platform saying goodbye to each other.

"Behave yourselves! Study hard but have fun too! Ron, Fred and George I don't want to have to send any howlers this year!" Mrs. Weasley was calling as they started to board the train.

Harry was about to follow when Mr. Weasley pulled him aside. "Harry, I just want to warn you to be extra careful this year."

Harry looked at Mr. Weasley's worried face. "Is this because of the prisoner that escaped? Sirius Black?"

Mr. Weasley nodded seriously. "He's dangerous Harry. And he was a supporter of You-Know-Who. There is a chance he could want to come after you. No one wanted to worry you about it but as you kids tend to get into mischief," He smiled knowingly. "I just think you should know so you will be extra aware."

Harry nodded. "Thank you for telling me the truth. I'll be careful." He promised. As he boarded the train he thought about what Mr. Weasley had said. Did Sirius Black really escape from Azkaban to come after him? That was…disturbing. Harry really wanted a stress free year. That wasn't too much to ask for was it?

Harry boarded the train and began making his way down the aisle to join his friends when he was pushed from behind. He stumbled and his quick reflexes kept him from falling on his face. "Hey!"

Jeremy Stretton, a fifth year Ravenclaw who a chaser on the Quidditch team, sneered at him. "Oh, so sorry boy hero."

"We wouldn't want to damage the celebrity." Grant Page, a fellow Ravenclaw who also played on the Quidditch team as keeper, added in mock concern.

Harry gritted his teeth. He was really not in the mood to be bullied yet again. He had had enough of that this past summer. He knew these two didn't like him; they glared at him and made snide comments each time Gryffindor won against them. "Sod off." He snapped and pushed ahead to the compartment Ron and Hermione were waiting in.

"What took you so long?" Ron asked in a loud whisper. He nodded towards the man seated across from him who was leaning against the window and sleeping.

Harry looked at the man curiously and sat next to him. "Stretton and Page thought they would have some fun." He shrugged, wincing. The pain in his side was getting worse and several bruises that he still had were aching. Too bad the glamour didn't mask the actual pain too.

"Those two are such bullies." Hermione said as she petted her new familiar, an orange cat named Crookshanks.

"They should be in Slytherin with the way they act." Ron huffed.

Harry glanced over at the sleeping stranger and asked quietly, "Do you know who he is?"

"No idea." Ron shrugged.

"Professor R. Lupin." Hermione answered.

Ron's mouth fell open. "How do you know that? How do you know everything? Blimey!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "It's written on his suitcase Ronald, honestly."

"Oh." Ron looked embarrassed.

Harry grinned and then leaned forward. "Your Dad pulled me aside before I boarded the train." He told them quietly, not wanting to risk being overheard by the new Professor. "To warn me."

"Warn you about what?" Hermione asked in concern as she and Ron also leaned forward.

"You heard about the escaped prisoner right?" Harry asked.

"Sirius Black." Ron nodded.

"They don't know how he could have escaped. Azkaban is supposed to be escape proof. He killed thirteen people." Hermione said with a slight shiver.

Harry cleared his throat. "Well, apparently he was in league with Voldemort." He ignored the wince Ron gave at the name. "And it's possible he may be after me."

Hermione eyes widened. "What? Oh Harry, that's horrible! What steps are being done to protect you?"

"I don't know. I'm not even supposed to know about it." Harry answered. "I think it is just a possibility that he might be after me." He tried to sound unconcerned.

"Wow mate. I take back what I said the other day. You have some bad luck." Ron whistled slowly.

Harry snorted. "I doubt it's anything to really worry about. Besides, Hogwarts is safe enough." Even though I've almost died there the last two years, he thought with a grimace.

"Harry, you have to be really careful this year." Hermione said with wide eyes. "Follow all the rules and we'll have to keep an extra eye out during the Hogsmeade trips."

"I can't go to Hogsmeade. My relative's didn't sign my permission slip." Harry said with a sigh.

"You have to go! Just get McGonagall to sign it!" Ron looked horrified at the thought of not being able to go to Hogsmeade.

"Professor McGonagall is not his guardian Ron." Hermione pointed out. She looked at Harry sympathetically. "It couldn't hurt to ask though. But maybe it is better that you don't go if a murderer is after you."

"He may not even be after me." Harry said in frustration. He closed his, as his head felt like it was spinning. I must be coming down with something, he thought.

Suddenly they noticed the train was slowing down and then stopped completely.

"Are we there already? That was fast." Ron remarked as he pushed the small cage holding his pet rat further away from Crookshanks who was staring at it hungrily.

"We can't be there already." Hermione said as she looked out the window. "There is something out there."

Ron and Harry peered out the window as well and watched in surprise as frost settled in on the windows. It began to get dark and cold, a chill making all of them shiver.

"What's going on?" Ron asked nervously.

The compartment door opened and a shadowy figure began to float in and soon all Harry could feel was cold and despair. He saw a flash of green light and heard a woman screaming.

"Expecto Patronam!"

The last thing Harry saw before passing out was what looked like a large silvery white balloon.

HPHPHPHP

When Harry came to he was surrounded by Ron, Hermione and the new Professor.

"Harry, are you alright?" Hermione asked anxiously.

Harry nodded slowly, though he felt chilled and weak. "What happened? Who screamed?"

Ron looked confused. "Nobody screamed."

"Here, this will help." Professor Lupin handed each of them a piece of chocolate.

"What was that thing?" Ron asked as he took a bite.

"A Dementor. Excuse me; I need to go talk to the driver." Professor Lupin strolled out of the compartment.

"What is a Dementor?" Harry asked as he bit into the chocolate. He immediately felt warmth spread through him.

"They are the guards at Azkaban. It was here looking for Sirius Black!" Ron said excitedly, feeling better since eating the chocolate.

Hermione nodded. "The Professor told it that none of us were hiding Sirius Black here and to go away. When it didn't he said a spell and something silvery shot out and it backed away."

"But you didn't hear anyone scream?" Harry pressed. He was sure he had heard it. "And did anyone else, er, pass out?"

Ron looked uncomfortable. "Well, no. I think it was just you. But it was awful, I felt like I would never be cheerful again!"

Hermione frowned. "We didn't hear anyone scream. It's odd that you did though."

"Hey Potter! There is a rumor going around that you fainted! Someone heard the driver talking to someone about it. Please tell me it's true." Draco Malfoy was standing in their doorway, looking gleeful.

"Go away Malfoy!" Ron said angrily.

"It's true then." Draco exchanged a grin with fellow Slytherin Theodore Nott. "We better be off and make sure that everyone knows!" Draco and Theo left, laughing their heads off.

Harry slumped back in his seat. They hadn't even arrived at Hogwarts and already the year was off to a bad start.

TBC:
To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review, it let's both the original author and myself know what you think of this fan fiction.
Chapter 3 by Evangeline_Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, they are works of J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis, respectively. Neither MusicMelis nor I make profit of any sort off of these works. In addition, neither of us claim to own the Harry Potter franchise and I do not claim to own On The Flip Side.
When Harry and his friends walked up to the castle, Harry was quite aware of whispering and snickers being sent in his direction. Harry clenched his hands into fists as he tried to control his temper. He wanted to shout at the top of his lungs for everyone to just shut up. He forced himself to concentrate on Ron's and Hermione's argument over their familiars. Ron was convinced that her cat was after his rat. The distraction worked and Harry was able to relax and be amused at his friend's disagreement.

"Potter and Granger, if you could step this way for a moment!" Professor McGonagall called before the trio started up the stairs to Gryffindor Tower.

Harry sighed. This better not be about what happened on the train. He felt weary and dizzy and had hoped to lay down for a bit before the sorting feast was under way. Since the first years took the boats with Hagrid, they always had a little time before the feast started.

"I'll meet you guys in the common room. Or the Great Hall if you take too long." Ron said as he sprinted up the steps.

"Yes Professor?" Hermione asked after she and Harry had made their way to their Head of House.

"I would like to speak with you Miss. Granger about your schedule. First though, Mr. Potter how are you feeling?" Professor McGonagall asked as she looked at him critically. "I think a trip to the infirmary is in order."

Harry's eyes widened. He couldn't risk Pomfrey finding out about his glamour. "No Ma'am that won't be necessary. I'm fine."

Professor McGonagall looked unconvinced. "It wouldn't hurt for you to see Madam Pomfrey just to be sure."

"No!" Harry closed his eyes for a second and then opened them again, noting McGonagall's look of concern and disapproval. "Please Professor McGonagall, I really am fine. Professor Lupin gave us all chocolate and that helped loads."

"I see." Professor McGonagall nodded. "Very well. Go on ahead while I talk to Miss. Granger then."

Harry was beyond relieved. "Thank you Ma'am." He turned and walked to the stairs but before he could take the first step he heard loud sniggering from behind him.

"Well, well we aren't even back for a day and Potter is already demanding special attention." Jeremy shook his head.

"Be honest, you pretended to faint just to get more notice right?" Grant sneered at Harry. "You couldn't possibly be that weak that it was real."

"I don't know Grant." Jeremy said thoughtfully. "Potter is pretty pathetic. He really could be that weak." They both burst into laughter.

"It's nice that at least the two of you think you're funny." Harry rolled his eyes and turned to leave when Jeremy grabbed his arm and pulled him back. Harry bit his lip as his already bruised arm was aggravated.

"We didn't say you could go Potter!" Jeremy said, pulling himself up to fool height. "Ask permission and then we'll let you go. Do it boy!"

It was the term boy that was the final straw for Harry. He was in pain, had been in pain for while. He was hungry, tired, and just plain fed up. He pushed Jeremy as hard as he could and when Grant came at him, Harry shot out his foot and kicked the Ravenclaw in the shin. Without thinking he pulled his wand and pointed it straight at the two teenagers. "Furnunc-"His spell was stopped by a shout from McGonagall.

"Mr. Potter, lower your wand immediately!" Professor McGonagall hurried over with Hermione right behind her. "What do you think you are doing?"

"Potter's insane!" Grant snarled as he rubbed his shin.

"They wouldn't leave me alone! They're bullies!" Harry protested.

"Then you get an adult Mr. Potter, you do not attack and try to hex a fellow student!" Professor McGonagall said sternly.

Harry stared at her. It was always the same. The bullies got away with everything. "Take points then. I really don't care." Harry turned, ignoring Hermione's gasp and headed upstairs. His head was pounding and his side felt weird to the touch, even though it looked normal. He ignored everyone and went into his dorm and sat on his bed. He felt tired and guilty. He couldn't believe he had talked to McGonagall like that, it had just slipped out.

"What happened mate?" Ron asked as he came into the dorm. He sat down on the bed across from Harry. "Did McGonagall have bad news or something?"

Harry shook his head and was about to answer when Hermione burst in, her face set in disapproval. "Harry Potter what were you thinking? I can't believe you talked to Professor McGonagall like that!"

Ron looked at Harry in surprise. "What?"

"Stretton and Page started it but of course no one cares about that." Harry muttered.

"Professor McGonagall saw Jeremy grab you and was already coming over but then you attacked them!" Hermione huffed.

"You did? Awesome, what did you do?" Ron asked eagerly.

"I pushed Stretton down and kicked Page in the shin and was about to hex them when McGonagall stopped me." Harry said with a flush. He really couldn't believe he had done that. It wasn't like him. He put his hand to his side and grimaced slightly.

"He also spoke very rudely to Professor McGonagall." Hermione told Ron, neither of them saw the look of pain on Harry's face. "He told her to go ahead and take points and then walked away! Professor McGonagall was shocked and then she headed towards the Headmaster's office! Harry, for trying to hex a student you could be suspended or even expelled!"

"He didn't finish the hex." Ron pointed out easily. "Besides, students hex each other all the time. Remember when Malfoy cast the Leg-Locker curse on Neville? Nothing happened to him."

"That doesn't make it right Ronald! Besides, we don't know if Malfoy got away with it. Professor Snape may have heard about it and punished Malfoy." Hermione said, thought she didn't look too convinced.

Harry and Ron exchanged a look and then burst into laughter. "Professor Snape never punishes the Slytherins! He lets them do whatever they want!" Ron shook his head.

Hermione sighed and then gave a mild glare to Harry. "You should apologize to Professor McGonagall Harry. And I really hope you don't get into too much trouble."

"I will." Harry said as he stood up. He wavered a bit. "The feast should be starting soon."

"Let's go! I'm starving!" Ron said enthusiastically as they headed downstairs.

"How can you be starving when you ate half the food on the trolley on the train?" Hermione asked exasperatedly as they followed the rest of the Gryffindor's who were heading to dinner.

Ron shrugged. "I'm a growing boy."

Harry snickered as they entered the Great Hall. As he took his seat he looked to the head table and saw Dumbledore and McGonagall in conversation. He noticed that Snape appeared to be listening to them and as if he knew he was being watched, he cast a dark look towards Harry.

Harry flinched at the fury he saw on Snape's face and turned away. He tried to eat but found he was feeling sick to his stomach. He drank some water, forgoing the pumpkin juice he usually favored. He felt so hot and the water was nice and cool.

"Are you too nervous to eat?" Hermione asked somewhat sympathetically. She glanced at the Head Table. "Professor McGonagall doesn't look too mad."

"Hey Harry, is it true you beat up five students?" Dean Thomas asked eagerly.

"I heard one of them was Malfoy." Seamus Finnigan added.

"No it is not true." Harry sighed. "I did try to hex two Ravenclaws." He admitted.

"Fifth year Ravenclaws." Ron said proudly. He ignored Hermione's frown.

"Wow, that's great!" Dean immediately began sharing the news with the students sitting on the other side of him.

Harry shrugged and fiddled with his glass of water. He hoped he didn't get suspended or expelled; he couldn't go back to the Dursley's. He just couldn't. Suddenly a piece of paper floated above him and landed next to his glass. He read it and his heart sank.

"What is it?" Ron asked around a mouthful of pot roast.

"It says Dumbledore will be sending for me sometime after the feast and to be ready." Harry said nervously. He could only hope the note wasn't implying he needed to be ready to leave Hogwarts.

HPHPHPHP

"The boy's impulse problem is completely out of hand! Running away from home, pulling his wand on students, someone needs to keep him under control!" Snape fumed as he paced the headmaster's office.

"So you feel Harry needs more structure and someone to hold him accountable for any misbehavior?" Dumbledore said thoughtfully, stroking his beard.

"Yes!" Snape snapped. "How am I supposed to keep my promise and protect the boy if his bad behavior is allowed to continue?"

"And you believe Minerva does not do that?"

Snape snorted. "No offense to Minerva but no. She is known to let her favorite students get away with practically murder." He said darkly.

Dumbledore gave him a sad smile with a hint of regret in it. "Well then my boy, the solution is clear."

"And that would be?" Snape asked impatiently.

"For the first term of school we will sort Harry into Slytherin." Dumbledore answered, his blue eyes twinkling.

In an uncharacstic move Snape's mouth dropped open. "Have you gone mad Headmaster? Potter in Slytherin? That's insane!"

Dumbledore shrugged as he chose a lemon drop from the small tin on his desk. "You want to have someone keep a better eye on him and hold him accountable. Who better than yourself? After all, Harry was almost put in Slytherin to begin with."

"I do not-wait, what? That's impossible!" Snape scoffed. The golden boy being sorted into Slytherin?

"It's true. He talked the hat out of it." Dumbledore said with a smile. "Now, as he would be one of your Slytherins I would expect you to treat him as the rest of the students in your house. This is not an excuse for you to treat him as you usually do." Dumbledore said pointedly.

Snape sniffed and looked away. He knew he was unfair and unkind to the boy but he couldn't help it, the boy was so much like his father. Arrogant, spoiled and a rule breaker. Just like Potter senior. Except for the eyes…

"I do not appreciate that having Potter in Slytherin is treated as a form of punishment." Snape said stiffly.

"No my boy, that is not my intention. It is not a punishment; it is more like an experiment." Dumbledore said. "You feel Harry needs more guidance so I am giving you the opportunity to do so. Especially as this year he already has a threat against him."

"As it was two Ravenclaw's that Potter attacked perhaps he should be in that House." Snape suggested hopefully.

"Ah, but it is not Professor Flitwick who is arguing that the child needs more guidance." Dumbledore pointed out.

"I doubt Potter would be very happy to be in my house. He would have no friends." Snape pointed out.

"Perhaps he would make some." Dumbledore suggested.

Snape gritted his teeth. "Unlikely. And it's enough that I have to put up with that brat in my classes, I should not have to deal with him in my house as well."

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair. "Very well. We'll consider the matter dropped. However, I expect to hear no more complaints about Harry as I have given you a chance to help curb his impulsiveness."

Snape glared at the Headmaster. One of his few joys was complaining about Potter and now that was being taken away from him! "Perhaps there is some merit to your suggestion." He finally relented. With Black on the loose, Potter did need someone keeping a strict eye on him. "The boy needs to learn to think first before reacting. He also needs someone to make sure he does his schoolwork properly as he is a mediocre student at best."

Dumbledore gave him a knowing smile. "I should call for Minerva and tell her the situation. She may not be very pleased at first. Of course, she does count on Harry to win the Quidditch games." He quickly cast a patronus to send a message to the Deputy Headmistress.

Snape gave a smirk. "Yes, no Quidditch for the boy wonder. How will he ever cope?"

"Why couldn't he play Quidditch? He could be on the Slytherin team." Dumbledore suggested.

"We already have a seeker. Mr. Malfoy." Snape said though his mind was thinking if the Potter brat did play on his team, they could finally return to their winning streak. Hmm….

"You sent for me Albus?" Minerva stepped into the room and looked questionably between Snape and Dumbledore.

Snape listened with glee as Dumbledore told her of his little idea. The look on her face was priceless.

"Absolutely not Albus! Harry was sorted into Gryffindor and in Gryffindor he stays." Minerva said firmly. She nodded at Snape. "No offense Severus but I know how you feel about the boy. You and your students would just use this as an opportunity to be even crueler to the child."

Snape glared at her. "It is nice to see how little you think of me. In Slytherin we look out for own and Potter would be included in that if he were to be in my house."

"Sure he would." Minerva muttered, ignoring the furious look on Snape's face. "Harry stays in my house. There is no reason for him to be in Slytherin. It is not a suitable punishment for the fight this evening. A detention will be enough."

"Being in Slytherin is not a punishment!" Snape snapped at her. "There is nothing wrong with my house."

"I told you it was not a punishment Severus." Dumbledore said quietly. "Minerva, it is more of a learning exercise. I believe Harry could benefit from the experience."

"As well as be watched more carefully." Snape added with a sneer.

Minerva stiffened. "Are you implying I am not doing my job as Harry's Head of House?"

Snape met her gaze. "Why would I imply such a thing?" He said silkily.

Minerva narrowed her eyes. "How dare-"

"Enough." Dumbledore interrupted. "I have made my decision and was merely informing you Minerva, before I told Harry."

Minerva took a deep breath. "I see. Well then, I must insist that Harry still be a part of Gryffindor and stay as seeker. That way he will at least have some happiness this term."

Snape struggled to control his temper. Yes, he did not like the boy but to keep eluding that he would treat Potter that bad was grating on his nerves. Of course in her mind, all Slytherins were bad. "If he plays Quidditch this term it will be on my team not yours." He said smoothly. He had thought denying Potter Quidditch privileges for the term would be fun but this was better.

"Harry wouldn't play against his own house." Minerva said smugly.

"No he wouldn't. As Gryffindor wouldn't be his house." Snape said just as smugly. He smiled widely when she scowled.

"Stop you two." Dumbledore sighed. "Quidditch was supposed to be a friendly rivalry among the houses you know. But more important, it is time to let Harry know of our plans. I would appreciate it if you two would stay when I tell him. Minerva, I hope for you to lend your support to Harry and Severus I wish for you to assure him that his treatment in your house will be fair."

Minerva pursed her lips but nodded in acceptance while Severus crossed his arms across his chest and inclined his head.

"Thank you." Dumbledore said gratefully, hoping he wasn't making a mistake by doing this. He wrote down a quick note and then called for a house elf to give the message to Harry. And then they waited.

HPHPHPHP

"You wanted to see me Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked when he entered the office. He saw that his Head of House and Professor Snape also there and wondered why Snape would be here. He gratefully sank into the seat Dumbledore gestured to. He really wasn't feeling well and really needed to get his hands on some bruising palm.

"Yes. The running away from home this past summer and causing a fight before the sorting feast has to be addressed Harry. The solution I have come up with is a little out of the box but I think it is worth trying." Dumbledore continued with a kind smile.

"So I'm not expelled?" Harry asked nervously. There was no way he was returning to the Dursley's.

"Of course not my boy." Dumbledore assured him. "For the first term of school you will be resorted. Into Slytherin."

Harry stared at the headmaster in shock. That was his punishment? Was Dumbledore insane? He would be killed in his sleep! "No."

"Harry,-"Dumbledore started.

Harry stood up, trying to ignore the wave of dizziness that came over him. "I know I messed up tonight but this isn't a fair punishment. You can't take my friends from me, especially now."

"Harry this isn't a punishment and it isn't permanent." Dumbledore said. "It is a learning experience for you and for the Slytherins as well."

"No. I'd rather be expelled." Harry said coldly.

"Mr. Potter that is enough." Professor McGonagall said firmly.

Harry shook his head. They couldn't do this. After the summer he had had, he needed to be with his friends, even if they didn't know the whole truth about how bad the Dursley's treated him. "I know I was out of line in how I spoke to you Professor McGonagall and I'm really sorry. Stretton and Page were bullying me and I just reacted. But this isn't fair." He put a hand to his side. "You are putting me with people who hate me and would gladly kill me, including the head of house."

"Watch it Potter." Snape growled. "If I actually wanted you dead I would have let you die your first year in that Quidditch match."

Harry looked away. That was another thing; he wouldn't be able to play Quidditch. He couldn't play during the summer as it was and he missed it. They were taking away everything he cared about. "Why are you doing this? You are taking me away from my friends, my house, and Quidditch. Yet you say this is not punishment?"

"You can still play Quidditch Harry, only on the Slytherin team. And it is just until Christmas." Dumbledore insisted. "Right Severus?"

"I'm sure something can be arranged." Snape nodded.

"Harry, please. Trust me." Dumbledore implored.

Harry shut his eyes for a moment. "I don't have a choice do I? It's this or I return to the Dursley's."

"Why did you run away from them Harry? You know why it is important for you to be there during the summer." Dumbledore said seriously. "I understand you were probably afraid after blowing up your Aunt but to run away-"

"He blew up Petunia?" Snape suddenly asked Dumbledore, looking interested. He knew the boy had run away from home after doing magic but had not been told what magic he did.

Harry was surprised that Snape knew his Aunt's name.

Dumbledore shook his head. "No, his Uncle's sister."

Unless Harry was imagining it, Snape actually looked disappointed.

"I don't want to talk about it." Harry said quietly. It's not like them knowing the truth would change anything.

Dumbledore sighed. "Very well. Tomorrow morning you will join your new house at breakfast and your things will be moved to your new dorm."

"Potter, the Slytherin password is Callidus. That is only for you to know. If I find out any Gryffindors know it, you will have detention for the year." Snape glared at him.

"I won't tell anyone." Harry said as he returned the glare. "May I go now?" He really felt like he was going to be sick.

"Have a good night my boy." Dumbledore said with a gentle smile.

"Remember Mr. Potter, even if I am not officially your Head of House you may come to me with any issues you may have." Professor McGonagall said primly. She didn't acknowledge the scowl her colleague was giving her.

"Thank you. Good night." Harry nodded to all three adults and then left the Headmaster's office.
To be continued...
End Notes:
How will the rest of Gryffindor react to Harry's re-sort into Slytherin? What about the Slytherins?

Reviews are appreciated, they let both the original author and myself know how much you like this fanfiction.
Chapter 4 by Evangeline_Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, they are works of J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis, respectively. Neither MusicMelis nor I make profit of any sort off of these works. In addition, neither of us claim to own the Harry Potter franchise and I do not claim to own On The Flip Side.
"You have got to be joking!" Ron said horrified. "They can't do that can they?"

Harry nodded wearily. "Even McGonagall is going along with it although she didn't look to happy about it."

Hermione looked shocked as well. "I don't know if Hogwarts has ever had anyone resorted before. I should look into it."

"Yeah, maybe it's against Hogwarts policy and then Dumbledore will have to change his mind." Ron said hopefully.

Harry nodded though he doubted it. Dumbledore would know if it was against policy and it obviously wasn't.

"I really can't believe they are doing this." Hermione said, worry in her eyes. "You with the Slytherins? Doesn't the Headmaster know that you don't get along? It will be them against you and that's not right."

"And Snape as your Head of House? He tries to make your life miserable just being your Professor imagine what he will do now?" Ron stared at Harry wide eyed.

"Gee thanks guys. You've really cheered me up." Harry tried to joke.

"Oh Harry, I'm sorry! It's just, I'm worried for you. And what are we going to do without you in Gryffindor?" Hermione asked sadly. "We'll miss you."

Harry swallowed the lump that was beginning to form in his throat. His friends meant everything to him. He had never had friends until he came to Hogwarts. And Harry knew there was no possible way he would ever make friends in Slytherin. They all hated him and from what he had heard, most were eager for Voldemort to return someday. He knew he would be bullied and hexed while he was in Slytherin and like most adults, Snape would look the other way. Or maybe Snape would join in, you never knew with the snarky Potion's Master.

"What about Quidditch?" Ron whined. "You're our best player! Maybe this wasn't Dumbledore's idea, maybe it was Snape's! To keep you from winning all the games!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Do you really think Professor Dumbledore would agree to a plan like that? No, it had to be the Headmaster's idea. I just don't see the point in it. It seems like an excessive punishment."

"According to Dumbledore, it is not a punishment." Harry sighed. "It's a learning experience." He added sarcastically.

Hermione looked thoughtful. "Maybe it's a way to get different houses to get along? But still, to have it be you Harry…" She trailed off.

"Those snakes better not hurt you or else." Ron said determinedly.

Hermione was wringing her hands together nervously. "Oh, why did you have to attack those two Ravenclaws?"

Harry threw his hands up in frustration. "They attacked me first!"

"They didn't pull their wands out on you and that is what got you in trouble." Hermione pointed out.

"When do you have to move?" Ron asked.

"I have to have breakfast with the Slytherins and Dumbledore said my things would be moved to their dorms in the morning." Harry said glumly.

"Ugh." Ron said just as glumly. "You have to eat with them too?"

"He'll be a part of their house Ron. Of course Harry will have to sit with them at meals and in class too." Hermione looked just as dejected as the two of them.

"Geez the three of you are looking so glum-bum! What's wrong?" Fred and George sat next to them.

"You look like you got detention for life or something." George laughed. He paused. "Wait, did you?"

"Worse! Harry's been resorted!" Ron exclaimed loudly.

"Ron!" Harry hissed as the Gryffindors around them looked at them in shock. He hadn't wanted everyone to know yet.

"You've been resorted? Why? To where?" Dean demanded as he walked over followed by everyone in the common room.

"Slytherin." Harry braced himself for the chaos that was sure to happen. And it did.

"You're going to be in Slytherin!"

"They can't do that!"

"Is going to Slytherin the new punishment now?"

"I'd drop out if it were me!"

"What about Quidditch!"

Harry stood up and tried to get everyone to calm down. "It's um, an experiment Dumbledore is trying." He hedged. "And it is only for the first term and then I'll be back in Gryffindor."

"The Slytherins will kill you!" Neville Longbottom's eyes grew wide with fear. "Forget that. Snape will kill you!"

Murmured agreement went through the room. Oliver Wood stepped up with his arms crossed across his chest. "So you won't be able to play Quidditch for the whole term? How could you let this happen?!"

"I don't want this!" Harry yelled, startling the whole room. "You think I want to be in a house that completely hates me? And Snape is sure to be a total git about it!" He put his hand up to his head which was pounding once more and he felt like he was going to be sick again. "Gryffindor is my home and I'm being forced to leave it." He turned and started to go up to his dorm, stumbling a bit as another wave of dizziness hit him.

"Harry?" Hermione asked in concern.

"I'm fine. I'm going to bed." Harry said, shaking his head a bit and continuing on his way. Hopefully he would wake up and find this was all a dream.

HPHPHPHP

Severus sighed as he left the common room after informing his Slytherins that Potter would be in their house for a term. They had been understandably shocked and upset. They, like he, took exception to that fact that Potter being put in Slytherin was being treated as a punishment. And that was how it would be considered by everyone no matter how Dumbledore had tried to spin it. Despite his personal feelings for the boy, he had been adamant to his snakes that while Potter was one of them he would be treated as a true Slytherin. That meant they would follow the Slytherin code which was that Slytherins stick together. They looked out for and protected their own and that would now include Potter. After all, if a house is divided it will destroy itself.

He had to admit he felt some sympathy for Potter. Not that he would say so to anyone but when he had been in school he would have not survived being made to live in Gryffindor for a day never mind a term. Well, except that he would have been in the same house as Lily. If only…

Snape made a stop at the infirmary before retiring for the night. He kept health records of all his Slytherins as many came from abusive homes. He always had them checked at the start of term. Now that Potter was one of his Slytherins he would need to add his file.

"Severus." Poppy said in surprise. "I was just about to leave for the night. Is something wrong? Are you sick?"

"No." Severus said. "I need Potters file for my records. I assume he has already been checked or has an appointment to as it is the start of the year?"

"No he hasn't. You are the only head of house that does that Severus." Poppy said as she summoned the file on Harry. "All I have are his records from when he has been admitted here from being hurt at school."

Severus took the file and glanced through it. They were of his times being hurt at Quidditch, when the brat when after the stone and chamber, when that idiot Lockhart vanished his bones but nothing from before Hogwarts. Severus wasn't that surprised that he was the only Professor that checked. He himself had come from an abusive home and he wanted to help the students who were like him.

"I would like a full history done tomorrow." Severus said.

Poppy nodded. "Tell him to come by after his last class. I'll run a full diagnostic."

"Thank you Poppy." Severus inclined his head and went to his quarters to finally rest for the night.

HPHPHPHP

When Harry woke up the next morning he was feeling worse. Probably nerves, he thought as he touched his left side. As he started to get ready he noticed his robes now had a Slytherin crest on it and his scarf that was hanging was now silver and green. He sighed. Not a dream then.

"Is it time to get up already?" Ron groaned as he buried his head in his pillow.

"Just think of the abundance of food waiting for you in the Great Hall." Harry said absently as he gathered his books into his bag. Reminding Ron of breakfast was the usual way he hurried along his friend in the mornings.

"Oh yeah!" Ron sounded more enthusiastic as he got up. "Oh yeah." He said more solemnly as he remembered that this morning Harry would be leaving Gryffindor. "Hey, maybe you can use your cloak and sneak back in here. You know the password so…"

"I thought of that but you know everyone in Slytherin will be waiting to get me in trouble. I better not risk it or I may have to stay all year in Slytherin." Harry said as he finished putting his shoes on. He stood up and immediately all of his belongings except what he was wearing and his book bag disappeared.

"Guess it's real." Ron said as he tied his red and gold tie. He wrinkled his nose a bit at Harry's green and silver one.

Harry grabbed his bag. "It's time to face the music. What happened after I left the common room last night? Did everyone calm down?"

"Yeah. Well, eventually. Most are angry on your behalf but some are well, angry that you are giving in and going to Slytherin." Ron stepped back and Harry's angry expression. "Their words not mine! There are just a few older students who think you should have given the Headmaster an ultimatum that you would either go home or stay in Gryffindor."

"I can't risk having to go to the Dursley's before I absolutely have to." Harry said flatly. "Believe it or not, I'd rather be in Slytherin."

Ron looked at him sympathetically. "Don't really blame you mate. At least you get to eat here no matter what house you are in." He brightened. "Think of it this way, you can lose Slytherin tons of points!"

Harry laughed. "Sure, cause that will go over real well with Snape."

Ron's face fell. "Oh, right. Don't want to get on his bad side. Well, you don't want to get even more on his bad side than you already are."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Thanks."

Hermione met them at the bottom of the stairs, pity clear in her eyes. Most of the Gryffindors were looking at him the same way except for a few older students. He noticed Cormac McLaggen and Alexander Williams were glaring hard at him.

"We're sorry to see you go Harry." Percy Weasley said to him as he adjusted his Head Boy badge. "Don't worry, if you throw yourself into your studies the first term will go by fast."

Hermione brightened. "You can spend all of your free time in the library with Ron and me."

"All of our free time?" Ron repeated.

Hermione threw him a look. "It's the only way to be able to talk with Harry!"

Ron nodded slowly. "True."

The Gryffindors walked down together and Harry stayed silent as they entered the Great Hall. He looked towards the Slytherin table and saw many of them were glaring at him. He looked up at the Head Table and saw Dumbledore give him an encouraging smile. He darted his eyes over to Snape and saw him give a curt nod and then look pointedly towards the Slytherin table.

"See you guys later." Harry mumbled as he made his way over to the Slytherin table. His table now. He could hear some Ravenclaws whispering as to why he was wearing a Slytherin crest. He ignored them and slid into the seat at the end of the table and kept his eyes averted. His side was throbbing, his head still hurt and he felt really hot.

"Good morning."

Harry looked up and into the dark blue eyes of the girl sitting across from him. The eyes were framed by her long blonde hair. Harry didn't know who she was but had noticed her last year. "Good morning." He said tentatively. For all he knew she was going to prank him or mock him.

"Welcome to Slytherin." She added.

"Thank you?" Harry looked at her questionably.

She frowned. "What?"

Harry fiddled with his empty glass. He hadn't bothered to put any food on his plate or drink anything. His stomach was still feeling funny. "Two things. First, why are you being nice to me?"

The girl huffed. "Maybe I'm a nice person?" She shook her head and then looked at him with her head tilted to the side. "Unless you are one of those people who think that no nice person could ever be in Slytherin. If that's the case, then I shouldn't have bothered."

"No, I'm sorry. It's just…well; no one has been nice to me from Slytherin. I thought…" Harry shook his head. He had assumed all Slytherins hated him since he was the boy-who-lived.

The pretty blonde relented. "True, you probably don't have many positive experiences with our house." She looked at him curiously. "What was the second thing?"

"I don't know your name." Harry said with a grin.

The girl's eyes widened. "Oh, I'm sorry! How rude of me. My name is Daphne Greengrass. I'm a third year like you." She gestured to the girl sitting next to her. "This is Tracey Davis, also a third year."

"It's nice to meet you both." Harry said nodding towards Tracey. Tracey blushed a bit.

Breakfast was interrupted by Dumbledore who had stood and was tapping his glass to get their attention. "Good morning students! Welcome to another year of Hogwarts! To those who are starting their first year, we welcome you. A few announcements and then you may return to your meal. The forbidden forest is still off limits and our caretaker Argus Filch would like me to ask you not to track in dirt into the castle. We also have two new Professor's starting this year. I am pleased to announce that Rubeus Hagrid will be taking over Care of Magical Creatures!" Applause broke out over the announcement and Hagrid beamed. "And our new Defense against the Dark Arts Professor will be Remus Lupin, a former student of Hogwarts." Dumbledore continued. "A word of caution, Hogwarts also has Dementor's guarding the castle until escaped prisoner Sirius Black is caught. And lastly for the first term this year, Harry Potter has been resorted into Slytherin."

The room erupted into loud chatter and exclamations.

"He's got to be bloody joking!"

"What could Potter have done that was so bad he's now considered a Slytherin?"

"Poor Potter with those evil snakes!"

"Who wants to place a bet he won't survive the term?"

"Enough!" Dumbledore said loudly, his eyes not their normally twinkling self. "This is not a punishment and Mr. Potter will be quite safe in Slytherin I assure you."

Harry looked at Snape and was impressed with the look of loathing he saw the Potion's Master giving everyone in the Great Hall. If Harry had to guess he would guess Snape was mentally collecting names of those who spoke badly of Slytherin so he could hand out detentions later.

"Gee, I can sure feel the love. How about everyone else?" Daphne said sarcastically.

Tracey nodded in agreement. "I hate being stared at like they expect us to attack them or something."

"They're just jealous because we are the best house." Draco Malfoy informed them as he and Theodore Nott turned their attention to them.

"We're also smarter and more talented, of course they hate us." Theo quipped, causing Tracey to giggle.

"So Potter, you're a snake. Who would have ever thought?" Draco said with a smirk. "You better not try and sabotage us with the points Potter."

Harry decided not to mention that Ron had thought that would be a good idea. "I wouldn't do that." He said softly.

"Nice welcome Malfoy." Daphne said with a roll of her eyes.

"Why should I welcome him? He's not really a part of us and never will be. He's Potter, the boy-who-thinks-he's-so-great." Draco narrowed his silver eyes at Harry.

Harry narrowed his eyes back. "You don't know a thing about me Malfoy so sod off!" He stood up and suddenly felt light-headed. He shook his head to clear it.

"Are you okay? You haven't eaten anything." Daphne said in concern.

"Why do you care Greengrass? He's a lion; they do anything to get attention." Draco scoffed.

"Shut up Malfoy. You're part of the problem of why Slytherin gets such a bad rap." Daphne lifted her head and stared Draco down.

"Whoa calm down everyone." Theo said with a quick look around. "We aren't supposed to draw negative attention or fight amongst ourselves."

"You guys are making our Head of House shoot us warning looks, knock it off!" Graham Montague, the Slytherin Quidditch captain and Head Boy hissed at them. "Sit down Potter!"

Harry sat and his hand went to his side again. He blinked his eyes as everything began to swim in front of him.

"What's wrong with you?" Theo asked with a curious look at Harry.

"I'm fine." Harry gave his programmed response.

"He hasn't eaten anything is what's wrong." Daphne put some eggs and toast on his plate. "Here. And don't worry, not everyone in Slytherin is like Malfoy here."

"Hey!" Draco protested. He gave Theo a dirty when he laughed. "It's not my fault most people are inferior to me."

"Get over yourself Malfoy." Tracey rolled her brown eyes.

Harry was amused and a little surprised that he wasn't being completely treated like dirt on the floor. Well, Malfoy's attitude was expected. They had never gotten along and never would.

Harry managed to eat a few bites of breakfast but could not manage much. He pushed away his plate and as he did a folded piece of parchment landed in front of him. Remembering the last time this happened Harry hesitantly opened the note.

Mr. Potter

Please report to the infirmary for a full check up that I insist all my Slytherins have. Madam Pomfrey will be expecting you after your last class.

Professor Snape

Harry's heart began to pound. He couldn't go to the infirmary! Pomfrey would find out he was wearing a glamour! And a full check-up? What all would that show? I can't go, Harry thought desperately. He'd have to skip it and hope Snape didn't press the issue. After all, it wasn't like Snape actually considered him a real Slytherin. He doubted the man would actually care if he went or not. And that was a good thing because Harry couldn't risk anyone finding out about his injuries, past or present.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Is Harry really fine? How will he avoid the required check - up? Will Harry make friends in Slytherin?
Chapter 5 by Evangeline_Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, they are works of J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis, respectively. Neither MusicMelis nor I make profit of any sort off of these works. In addition, neither of us claim to own the Harry Potter franchise and I do not claim to own On The Flip Side.

Thank you to Nightshade sydneylover150 and Fmh for reviewing on the first chapter!

Nightshade sydneylover150: You asked for more, here it is!
Classes were interesting. Harry kept automatically going to sit with the Gryffindors and had to be reminded that he was a Slytherin now. He was ignored for the most part by his fellow housemates. Draco just kept sneering in his direction although Daphne and Tracey were nice to him. Theo just kept looking at him curiously and Vincent Grabbe and Gregory Goyle looked like they didn't know how to act around him. Harry was happy to see Ron and Hermione in some of his classes and they waved and smiled at him.

Potions class was a different experience. Harry had only just slid into his seat when Snape entered. Snape had stared at him and opened his mouth but then snapped it shut. He had then turned away from Harry and began class. Harry had resisted the urge to laugh as he knew that if he was still in Gryffindor, points would have been taken away from him even though he had technically been on time. It was the first time in a potion's class that Harry wasn't snapped at or ridiculed. It was actually a nice change.

After classes were over Harry met Ron and Hermione in the library. He ignored the fact he was supposed to be in the infirmary. He would fight tooth and nail to avoid it.

"How's it going so far?" Hermione asked anxiously.

Harry shrugged. "So far it's okay. I haven't been to the Slytherin Tower yet though. But breakfast and lunch weren't too bad."

Ron looked disbelieving. "You can tell us the truth. They were all horrible to you weren't they?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I met a couple of nice people. Draco was his usual self though. Although it seems that some of his housemates see right through him and don't think he's the greatest thing ever."

"Probably only Draco thinks that." Hermione said as she opened her Transfiguration text book. "He has to buy people new brooms for them to like him."

Ron and Harry snickered. The boys spent most of the time in the library playing chess although Harry couldn't concentrate as his vision once again blurred. He felt like he was starting to drift in and out of awareness and that was scaring him. His friends were concerned but he assured them it was just because he hadn't eaten much due to nervousness. When he left to finally go to his new Tower, his friend's watched him go with worry.

HPHPHPHP

When Harry arrived in the common room, he looked around remembering being here before with Ron last year when they thought Malfoy was the Heir of Slytherin. Graham had showed him around and led him to his new dorm which was done all in dark green and silver.

"You'll be sharing the dorm with Draco, Theo, Vincent and Gregory." Graham said. He pointed to one bed neatly made. "That is yours. You should also be informed of the Slytherin Code."

"You have a code?" Harry asked curiously.

Graham nodded. "We stick together and protect our own. No fighting amount ourselves and if you have a disagreement with someone in the house you keep it in the Tower, never show it outside to everyone else. You're included in this now."

Harry had to admit that it sounded nice. He doubted any of the Slytherins would follow that code concerning him but it was nice that they had it. He wished Gryffindor had something like that. They tried to watch out for their own but it wasn't something official, like Slytherin has. He thanked Graham and checked that his belongings were there. After grabbing a text book to read he went into the common room and sat down, trying to ignore stares and whispers that were sent his way. After awhile most of the Slytherins drifted off to get ready for dinner and it was just Harry, Daphne, Tracey, Draco and Theo left in the common room.

"Is there a reason Mr. Potter that you were not at the infirmary?" Snape entered the common room and glared at Harry.

Harry inwardly groaned. He had been hoping Snape would think he had gone and that Pomfrey would be too busy to mention it. He couldn't let anyone know…

"I'm waiting Potter." Snape said impatiently.

"I'm not sick. I don't need to go to the infirmary." Harry finally said, staring down at his book.

"I told you, you spoiled brat, that all my Slytherins are required to have a full check-up regardless if they are sick or not. What part of my wording confused you, hmm?" Snape said sarcastically.

Draco smirked as he watched the exchange. Potter thought he was so special. At least Professor Snape would make sure he knew that he wasn't special at all.

"Nothing confused me sir." Harry said stiffly. "I don't want the check up."

"Too bad. It is my policy with my Slytherins." Snape gritted his teeth. The brat was infuriating.

"It's a good thing I'm not really a Slytherin then!" Harry shot back. He couldn't have that check up. If he did, everyone would know!

"Detention! You are lucky that I do not take points from my Slytherins." Snape shot back. A cruel smile formed. "Perhaps I will take points from Gryffindor since you still consider yourself one. A hundred points from-"

"No!" Harry stood up. He couldn't let that happen to Gryffindor. He took a shaky breath. "Please sir. I just don't…please." He looked up at Snape, pleading in his eyes.

Snape had to look away. Lily's eyes. "I will escort you now since I can't trust you to go on your own." Snape was curious as to why Potter was so against going. There was no way he had anything to hide as he was spoiled and coddled at home. All Snape could think was that he was doing it to get attention. Just like his father, Snape thought in disgust.

"Aw, poor baby Potty is afraid of the infirmary. I thought it was your home away from home, you end up there so much." Draco scoffed, causing Theo to laugh. Daphne was staring at Harry, her blue eyes narrowed in thought.

"Are you wearing a glamour Harry?" Daphne finally asked. It had been bothering her all day. She had known something was off during breakfast and lunch.

Snape looked at Harry in surprise. He stared for a moment and with a sinking feeling realized that Miss. Greengrass was right. Without remembering that they had an audience Snape withdrew his wand. "Finite Incantatem."

Harry shut his eyes as he felt the glamour fall away. He heard gasps of shock.

"Po-Potter?" Snape stepped forward in concern. The boy's face was bruised, eyes were glazed over, bruises on his arms, and he was very pale and much too thin. Snape couldn't believe he had missed this. I always know! He thought in shock. He could always see the signs even with students not in his house.

Draco couldn't believe it. Potter looked like he had been worked over but good. What in Merlin's name had happened to him?

Daphne was staring at Harry with her hand over her mouth. Who did this to him? He must be in so much pain and he didn't say anything, she thought sadly.

"Let's go to the infirmary Potter." Snape said quietly.

"I don't want everyone else to see. Please." Harry whispered, feeling humiliated. Now they knew how weak he really was. He would never live this down.

Snape nodded in understanding and replaced the glamour for the moment. He then led Harry out of the room.

"Was he beat up here? Someone in our house?" Theo wondered out loud.

"Or maybe someone from another house angry that he is here." Tracey suggested.

Daphne shook her head. "No, those bruises looked old. Several days, maybe even a week old. Which would mean-"

"His family." Draco said, still shocked. Was it possible? The boy wonder was abused?

HPHPHPHP

"There you are. My time is important as well you know." Poppy grumbled when she saw Severus lead Harry into her infirmary.

Snape threw her a glare. He made sure the infirmary had no one else in it and then waved his wand locking the doors and casting a silencing charm so that no could overhear. "Sit down Potter." He said. He took a deep breath and removed the glamour, not surprised when Poppy gave a gasp.

"What happened? Was he in a fight?" Poppy began waving her wand over Harry, running several diagnostics. A parchment began forming. "These happened before school started. What happened to you Mr. Potter?"

Harry stayed silent. "I fell." He finally said, wincing at how stupid that sounded.

"Of course. Because those injuries are consistent with a simple fall." Snape sneered. He had heard excuses like these many times before.

"Severus." Poppy murmured. The parchment had grown quite long. Her eyes widened. "I need to get several potions. Mr. Potter lay down now."

As Poppy began hurriedly gathering vials from her cupboard, Snape read the parchment that she had produced. Potter was bleeding internally, his spleen ruptured. How had the boy been able to keep going with passing out? His magic, Severus thought. If one was strong enough their magic would work to fix them if they were hurt or sick. Potter's accidental magic had been pulled forth and was trying to heal him.

Snape read the rest of the diagnostic. It was clear that Potter had been abused and neglected since he was a toddler. Severe malnutrition, dehydration, bruises, sprained bones, a broken arm, burns, cuts and currently bruises on his face, arms and side. His ribs were bruised and he had a high fever. Snape flicked his dark eyes up at Harry, who had laid down and was looking embarrassed. "Don't do that."

"Do what?" Harry asked in confusion.

"Do not look embarrassed." Snape said flatly. He knew what to say to abuses students. But this was Potter. He was supposed to be spoiled and arrogant like his father. "The only ones who should be embarrassed are the ones who did this to you." And those who failed to notice, Snape finished silently. "Your relatives, I presume?"

Harry bit his lip and nodded, for the third time in his life admitting to the abuse.

Snape struggled to control his anger. He was furious at the boy's relatives, angry at Minerva for not checking her students, angry with Dumbledore for putting Harry with his relatives and obviously not checking up on him. But most of all he was angry at himself. He had promised to protect the boy for Lily. Despite treating Potter the way he did, he had done what he could to protect him at school. He had not thought that Potter needed protection at home.

"Can you tell me what caused these current injuries?" Snape asked as Poppy came back.

Harry hesitated. "The summer started out like usual."

Snape nodded. Meaning the usual abuse, he thought darkly.

Harry sighed. "But then I accidently blew up Aunt Marge. My uncle hit me. I ran away before Uncle Vernon could really make me pay for it. Then Fudge sent me back even though I told him and showed him the bruise on my face. He said there was nothing wrong with having strict guardians and that basically I deserved it and should accept whatever they do to me."

"What!" Poppy was lived as she returned lining up vials on the table next to Harry's bed.

Harry flinched slightly and without thinking Snape put his hand on his shoulder. "It's okay Mr. Potter. No one is mad at you. What happened after that moron sent you back?"

Harry gave a faint smile as he drank the first vial Pomfrey handed him. "My side was already sore from Dudley punching me and Uncle Vernon punched me in the stomach and kicked me in the side." He began to feel very drowsy. "No food just some water…chores…was locked up for while...hit and slapped...no one believes...no one cares." Harry fell asleep.

Poppy's face was grim, her eyes glinted in anger. "He's bleeding internally Severus. His spleen has been ruptured. How he hasn't collapsed by now I don't know."

"His magic kicked in and is trying to heal him." Snape said quietly.

Poppy gave a deep sigh. "Of course. It's just been awhile since I've seen a case this bad. If he didn't have his magic Severus…"

"I know." Snape said. If it wasn't for the child's magic trying to help him, Potter would have succumbed to his injuries long ago.

"I can't believe I didn't see it!" Poppy said as she began working healing charms over Harry. "He's been in here enough the past two years, I should have done a full check up on him. I noticed he was very thin at the start of school but I figured it was because Hogwarts has such grand feasts that most children probably lose weight during the summer. But look at this!" She banished Harry's shirt where they could see more bruises and how thin the child was. "I can practically count his bones he is so malnourished."

Snape took a deep breath at the sight. This was completely unacceptable! "I believe his magic cast the glamour on him no doubt answering to his fear of people finding out. If he had had a full health check as a first year we would have known about the years of abuse."

Poppy nodded with a guilty look on her face. "I should just perform the scans even if their Head of House do not ask for it. I should insist to the Headmaster that it should be protocol!"

Snape remained silent. He never understood why he was the only Head of House that insisted on checking their student's full health. There were abused cases in every house though most did end up in Slytherin as they had to learn cunning skills to hide their abuse. Unfortunately most of his colleagues, like the Headmaster, had a hard time fathoming that parents or guardians would hurt their child in such a way. Poppy had finally seen the truth when he was a student and did her best to help him. She had informed Dumbledore and he had tried to help as well.

As Poppy healed the internal injuries on Harry repairing his spleen and spelling into him a blood replenisher, Snape picked up the bruise balm and began spreading it on the boy's face and arms. After Poppy finished, she helped him apply the balm to Harry's left side where it was a deep purple and his back.

Snape saw that once the bruises began to disappear there were scars on Potter's back. He gritted his teeth to hold back his anger and summoned a scar removal cream. He applied it gently and thoroughly until the marks slowly vanished. He summoned another potion. "I would like to start him on a nutritive potion." He looked at Poppy.

Poppy nodded grimly. "Yes, he will need to take that for awhile. He may need a stomach soother when he eats as his body is not used to food and it will take some time before he can eat a full meal."

Snape nodded and spelled the nutritive potion into Harry. "I will make sure his meals are catered to him as he will need to start with more bland meals."

"I'd like for him to stay the night so that I can monitor him." Poppy said as she spelled a fever reducer into Harry. "He will sleep through the night which is good as his body is still healing."

Snape nodded. "I need to speak with Albus. I'll come back and check on him in the morning. If anything happens let me know right away." He turned and swept away.

HPHPHPHP

"Hello Severus. How can I help you?" Albus asked when Snape entered his office.

"Potter." Snape said, finally let the anger he felt make his way known.

Dumbledore sighed. "It has not even been twenty-four hours. I thought you could hold out a little longer than that."

"Potter is in the infirmary." Snape said coldly. "I'm afraid you neglected to inform me that he was an abused child."

"I beg your pardon?" Dumbledore looked truly shocked.

"He's been abused." Snape said again. He held out the parchment that showed Harry's medical history.

Dumbledore read silently, his normally twinkling eyes growing dark. He had known that Petunia had not cared for Harry the way he had hoped but this…he had not expected this. He had completely failed the boy.

"Did you ever have Potter checked on as a child?" Snape demanded.

"Arabella lives across the street from the Dursley's. If she had seen anything she would have told me." Dumbledore said evenly.

"She would have seen what Potter wanted her to see. Children learn very quickly to cover the abuse." Snape said stiffly. He had learned to as child. How strange to have something in common with Potter. He just wished it was not this. Anything but this. "How often did she see him? Was she ever in his home?"

Dumbledore sighed regretfully. "No. She would occasionally babysit when the Dursley's went on vacation."

Snape raised an eyebrow. "They didn't take Potter on vacation? And that did not raise any questions?"

"I knew Harry wasn't being cared for the way I wanted. He was thin and small even for an eleven year old. But I assure you Severus I had no idea that he had suffered all this." Dumbledore looked every bit his age as he looked at Snape. "How is he?"

Severus sat down across from Dumbledore and ran a hand over his face. "Asleep right now. Poppy healed the internal bleeding and we applied bruise balm and scar removal to him. We spelled nutritive potion and fever reducer into him. He needs to gain weight and catch up on sleep." He looked at Dumbledore almost accusingly. "He said this latest…incident occurred after he accidently blew up his Aunt. He told Fudge why he didn't want to go back to his relatives, even showed him the bruise his Uncle had left on his face. Fudge sent him home anyway."

"I see." Dumbledore said quietly. "We were worried about Sirius being out there and Cornelius probably thought he would be safer with his relatives despite the bruise."

"You do not understand. It is very hard for a child of abuse to tell someone. Potter took the chance and not only did Fudge dismiss it, he apparently implied the boy deserved it!" Snape seethed.

Dumbledore looked surprised. "I am sure Cornelius didn't-"

"He will not return to his relatives." Snape cut in, staring at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore took a deep breath. "The blood wards-"

"Mean nothing if Potter is killed by his muggle relatives." Snape interrupted. "That is where this is leading. If his magic had not kicked in trying to heal him, he would be dead by now. I'd also wonder how strong those wards actually are if there is no love to sustain them. Lily gave her life for her son so he could live and be cared for. She would never stand for this! And neither will I."

"I'm surprised to hear you advocate so strongly for Harry." Dumbledore remarked. He realized that was a bad move on his part when the room practically shook with Severus's anger, his magic almost crackling around him.

"I made a promise on my life to protect that boy. I have not treated him kindly or liked him but I have protected him. I never stand for abuse for any child and especially not Potter. Not Lily's son!" Snape hissed.

Dumbledore stared back at him and then nodded. "I will need a guardian who is adequate for Harry. Someone powerful enough to protect him, to offer him strong enough protection that the blood wards did. Someone who can guide him, care for him and help him through his abuse. Someone who can truly focus on him. Unfortunately, I cannot think of someone who meets all of those requirements." He tilted his head. "Well, I can think of one person but I fear for my life if I ask him." Dumbledore kept a steady look on his Potions Professor.

Snape looked away. He should have known. The truth was he did meet the requirements. He was fully invested in seeing Potter stay safe and make it to adulthood. And if the Dark Lord did come back and war started again, he would do what it took to see Potter through it. He owed Lily that. He knew her heart would break if she knew all Potter had been through. That would mean though, that Snape would have to adjust his thinking about the boy. He had only let himself see Potter as James Potter junior as it made him feel better to take points and give unfair punishments. Was it petty? Of course it was but Snape never claimed to be perfect or even a good person. He had done horrible things in the past that he could never make up for. The only thing he could do now was honor his promise he had made in Lily's memory. The only true friend he had ever had and the only woman he had really loved. Her son was hurt and Snape had to do what he could to help him. The truth was as soon as he had seen that broken child who was bruised and battered, Potter had ceased to remind him of James. James had been spoiled and loved by his family and had not known pain or rejection.

Dumbledore had been watching him thoughtfully. "Of course if the person I am thinking of became Harry's guardian, then he wouldn't be able to do certain other duties that may come up in the future."

Snape stiffened. He knew that if the Dark Lord came back he would go back to spying. It was not something he wanted to do but he would do it to get information that would help protect Potter. How could he be Potter's guardian and a death eater?

"We do not know when Voldemort will come back. And Harry needs a guardian now. Someone who can also help train him to defend himself. I can work on other ways of getting information besides using you Severus." Dumbledore said quietly. He would have to work on getting another spy or find another way to get the information when it was time.

Albus knew he had already failed Harry in an unforgivable way. He knew Severus would protect Harry with his life as well as help him deal with the abuse he had suffered. His two boys would be good for each other. They both needed a family. It wouldn't be easy though, as they were both stubborn and in the last two years animosity had built.

Snape closed his eyes and Lily's beautiful face floated through. For you Lily, he thought. Always for you. He opened his eyes and looked at Dumbledore. "I'll do it. I will become Potter's new guardian."
To be continued...
End Notes:
How are you all liking this story so far? MusicMelis and I would love to know! How will the other Slytherin third years act around Harry now that they will know? How will Professor Snape change around Harry? How will Harry react to Severus becoming his new guardian? What are Ron and Hermione doing? Do they know about the abuse?
Chapter 6 by Evangeline_Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or On The Flip Side, they are works of J.K. Rowling and MusicMelis, respectively. Neither MusicMelis nor I make profit of any sort off of these works. In addition, neither of us claim to own the Harry Potter franchise and I do not claim to own On The Flip Side.

Thank you to Fmh, JolisGSD, Nightshade sydneylover150, and
lastcrazyhorn for reviewing on chapters 2-5!
"It must be pretty bad if he stayed the night in the infirmary." Daphne said to Draco, Tracey and Theo the next morning as they sat in the corner of the Slytherin common room. They were the only ones who knew about Harry's condition.

Theo nodded. "The bruises looked pretty bad."

"He was so thin." Tracey murmured. "He also looked feverish."

Draco was quiet for a moment. He had hated Potter since he rejected his friendship the first day of Hogwarts. If he was honest with himself, he was jealous of him. Potter was so fawned over at school he had figured his family doted on him too. Draco had never been hit by his parents. His father could be cold and aloof and would lecture soundly if he thought Draco had brought shame to the Malfoy name in anyway but he had never hit him. His mother, though people thought the opposite, was much more warm in her affection for her son. While Draco feared disappointing his parents, he had never had cause to fear them. He knew many students in Slytherin and likely in other houses were not so lucky. But the boy hero? It seemed so unlikely. He wondered if Potter had fainted on the train because of his injuries. Draco felt an unfamiliar emotion. Guilt.

Daphne was also lost in thought. She had known something was off she just wished she had figured it out sooner. She had been through it herself although not to the degree Harry had. I hope he is okay, she thought worriedly.

"Breakfast is going to start soon." Theo said. "Maybe he'll be there?"

"I hope so." Daphne said as she followed her friends out of the tower.

HPHPHPHP

"How are you feeling today Mr. Potter?" Snape asked as he entered the infirmary. He had decided to wait awhile before telling Potter that he was his new guardian. The boy was going through enough as it was and needed time to learn to trust him. Not that I have made that easy, Snape thought with a sigh. None of this was going to be easy.

"I'm fine." Harry said automatically, wanting to leave the infirmary. Merlin, he hated the infirmary. He was so embarrassed that Snape knew the truth. That probably the whole school knew by now.

Snape raised an eyebrow. "I'll ask again and I do not want that programmed response. How are you feeling?"

Harry stared at him with a bemused expression. "I feel better. No pain, actually. It's been awhile since I haven't felt any-"He shook his head. "I'm better sir."

Snape stared at him for a moment and again realized that this wasn't just Potter, James son but a child. A child who apparently was used to being in pain. "Breakfast finished a little bit ago. Have you eaten yet?"

"No, I always starve my patients." Poppy came in and looked at Snape exasperatedly. She ran her wand over Harry and nodded in approval. "Your internal injuries have completely healed. All your bruises and scars have as well."

Harry looked at her in surprise. "My scars are gone?" His hand automatically reached behind him to his back.

"The scar removal cream I make is particularly advanced. The only thing it wouldn't work on would be unique curse scars." Snape told him, his dark eyes briefly looking at Harry's forehead. He tried to not look affected by the way Potter's eyes had lit up at the news that the physical scars of his abuse were gone. If only the internal scars of abuse were as easy to heal.

"Thank you sir." Harry said sincerely.

Snape was briefly taken off guard and simply nodded in return.

"Your fever is now gone. You will need to continue the nutrition potion however, every morning at breakfast until I or Professor Snape say otherwise." Poppy continued.

Harry nodded resignedly. "Yes Ma'am."

"You are free to leave Mr. Potter." Poppy said. "I do recommend that you rest all day."

"Thank you." Harry said in relief. He wondered if he could go to the Gryffindor tower to visit his friends.

"Head back to the common room Potter. Your housemates have been wondering where you have been." Snape ordered.

Harry gave a start at calling Slytherins his housemates. "Does everyone know?" His tone indicated that he assumed they did.

Snape shook his head. "When asked, I merely said you weren't feeling well. The only ones who know are Malfoy, Nott, Davis and Greengrass and all they know is what they saw." Snape hesitated. "I did inform the headmaster, as is protocol."

Harry shrugged. "He knew already didn't he? In the scheme of things, having some bruises doesn't matter."

Before Snape could reply to everything wrong with what the boy had said, Harry walked out of the infirmary.

HPHPHPHP

Harry reluctantly gave the password to the Slytherin common room wishing it was Gryffindor instead. "Callidus." He muttered and the wall formed a door which opened. He stepped in and was aware of looks being given his way.

"There you are." Pansy Parkinson said in a snotty voice. "Already separating yourself from us? Is Potty to good to be a Slytherin?"

"He's not a Slytherin." Blaise Zabini laughed. "It's a joke that he is here."

Harry looked at Blaise evenly. "That we agree on." He turned to make his way to his dorm when he was stopped by Daphne Greengrass.

"Are you all right?" Her blue eyes were looking him over in concern.

Harry ran a hand through his hair. "I'm fine. I mean, better." He looked at her in confusion still having a hard time grasping that Slytherins were being nice to him. "You weren't actually worried were you? I kind of thought you guys would have told what you saw."

"Apparently you don't know us as well as you think you do Mr. Potter." Daphne countered. "Slytherins look after their own. And whether you like it or not, you are currently a Slytherin. I thought I explained this to you already."

"But everyone here hates me!" Harry protested. "For two years I have been taunted by Slytherins. And since I'm known for getting rid of Voldemort- "

Daphne flinched.

"Are you afraid of his name?" Harry asked in surprise.

Daphne nodded reluctantly. "I'm afraid he will come back someday."

"You are? I thought you would want him back. I mean, I figured all your parents were his followers and…I guess I thought-" Harry stammered, feeling foolish.

"That all Slytherins are evil?" Daphne finished. "No Potter. Not every student in this house wants to be a death eater. Some of us act a certain way in front of others because, well, we are expected to be the bad ones." She shrugged. "Even most of the Professors treat us differently."

Harry frowned. Honestly, he had not paid much attention to how Slytherins were treated by the teachers.

Daphne nodded. "I do have to wonder how they will treat you." Her face softened. "Have you had breakfast?"

Harry nodded. "Apparently I need to gain weight." He said with a grin.

"You do. You're a stick." Daphne informed him, though her tone was light and teasing.

"Ah Greengrass, showing your rude side." Draco drawled as he and Theo came to stand next to them.

Daphne stuck her tongue out. "Shut it."

"You look normal again." Theo stated. Draco cuffed him on the back of the head and Daphne glared at him.

"Oh sorry, I guess that came out rude." Theo said sheepishly.

Harry couldn't help but laugh. He was still a bit wary as to why they were being actually nice to him though.

"I just mean that you show no signs of…being hurt." Theo explained with an apologetic look.

"It's amazing what potions can do. Almost like magic." Harry quipped.

Draco and Theo snorted while Daphne and Tracey rolled their eyes.

"Hmm maybe you should eat again. Daphne's right you do look like a stick." Draco said, eyeing him critically. Potter's clothes hung on him like a tent.

Harry shrugged. "I'm not hungry." And what do you care? He finished in his head.

"So do your friends know?" Draco asked bluntly.

This time Theo cuffed Draco on the back of the head.

"Really Draco, you are lucky we put up with you because," Daphne frowned. "Wait, why do we put up with him?" She asked Theo and Tracey.

Tracey shrugged. "No idea."

"His Mum sends him really good treats to share." Theo answered.

"I thank you for your kind words." Draco made a face. He looked at Harry a little hesitantly. "I just wondered if they knew since you three are so close. And if they did why didn't they…" Why didn't they tell someone? His mind finished.

Harry bit his lip. "They don't know." He admitted. The Slytherins looked shocked. "They know a little but not the worst of it. I didn't want to burden them." His eyes widened. "You won't tell them will you?"

"We aren't going to tell anyone. You're a Slytherin now Potter and we look out for our own." Theo said firmly.

Daphne was curious as to why Harry didn't want his best friends to know and opened her mouth to ask when she was interrupted.

"Hey guys, what's going on?" Two younger girls joined the little group smiling brightly.

Harry's emerald eyes widened in alarm.

"We were just telling Potter that we are glad that he is feeling better." Daphne said smoothly. "He had a touch of the flu last night."

"Oh, I hate the flu." One of the girls, who looked like Daphne, nodded. "Glad you are feeling better Potter."

"Thanks." Harry managed to say. They're being too nice! His mind screamed.

"This is my little sister Astoria. She is in her first year." Daphne introduced. "And this is Tabitha Bainbridge, also in her first year."

Harry smiled kindly at them. "It's nice to meet you. Are you enjoying Hogwarts so far?"

Astoria nodded eagerly. She had blonde hair and blue eyes like her sister, yet her hair was a darker blonde and her eyes more of a pale blue. "I love it, it is so exciting! Although yesterday I had History of Magic and I almost fell asleep!"

Harry laughed. "Hate to tell you but that class doesn't get any better. It's a good place to catch up on homework though."

"I'm still so happy to be here. I hated having to wait to start Hogwarts. I wanted to come when Daffy did." Astoria beamed. She clearly looked up to her big sister.

"Tori!" Daphne hissed at her little sister, her face flushing with embarrassment. "I told you not to call me that here!"

Astoria blushed. "Oops, sorry Daff-Daphne."

Tracey and Theo were snickering while Draco and Harry had burst into laughter.

"Oh that's rich!" Draco gasped.

"I better never hear any of you say that name!" Daphne threatened. She glared at Draco who was laughing the loudest. "Understand me Dray?"

Draco returned her glare. "Don't call me that! Fine, I won't say anything."

Harry was quite amused and looked at Daphne. "Dray?" He mouthed.

Daphne grinned and nodded.

"Thanks for the laugh Astoria." Draco said with a smirk.

Harry noticed Astoria blush.

"Hey Potter, Professor Snape wants to see you in his office." Graham Montague called to him.

Harry made a face. "Great." He muttered. He looked at the group of people around him. "See you guys later."

"Harry." Daphne followed Harry to the door. "I know you have issues with Professor Snape, but in this situation trust him. Believe me, he wants to help."

"How do you know?" Harry asked his voice tense. Daphne just looked at him, her dark blue eyes a little sad. "Oh." Harry said as understanding hit him. He felt like an idiot. "Thank you Daphne." He gave her a mischievous grin. "Or should I say Daffy?"

Daphne scowled yet her eyes were amused. "Watch it Potter."

Harry couldn't help but laugh as he headed out of the common room.

HPHPHPHP

"Come in Mr. Potter." Snape gestured to the chair in front of his desk.

"You wanted to see me Professor?" Harry asked his tone wary.

"I take it you are still feeling well?" Snape asked, leaning back in his chair.

Harry nodded. "Yes sir."

"I know it has only been a day but are you finding it hard to settle in with Slytherin?" Snape asked, curious to how the child was fitting in. He wasn't naïve to think all his Slytherins would take the lecture he gave about accepting Potter into their house to heart but he was sure some of his students would. Despite what other's thought, he had some really good kids in his house.

"Better than I thought I would." Harry admitted. "I think I may have made some friends. Maybe."

Snape nodded, looking pleased. "I thought we should discuss more of what led to your injuries." Snape said evenly. He had never in years would have thought he would be having this conversation with Potter. "As well as injuries you had in your childhood." He tapped the parchment that detailed Potter's health history.

"We don't have to." Harry quickly said. "It doesn't matter."

"Actually it does." Snape countered. "What has happened to you matters a lot Mr. Potter. You indicated that the Headmaster knew about your relative's abuse. He knew your aunt and uncle weren't…caring for you the way he had hoped. But he did not know how bad it was."

"Or maybe he didn't want to know." Harry shrugged. He really didn't want talk about this.

Snape didn't say anything. The truth was he was still upset with Albus. The Headmaster should have made sure that Harry's muggle relatives were treating him properly. That was the problem with many muggle-born children unfortunately. Their parents or guardians grew to be afraid of their accidental magic and tried to beat it out of them or simply abandoned them. Snape knew Petunia had been jealous of Lily and her magic but when Albus had said she had taken in Potter he assumed that meant Petunia would revel in taking care of the boy hero of the Wizarding world. He remembered how Lily had told him that Petunia wanted to attend Hogwarts. He had assumed Petunia would view raising Potter as her chance to be a part of the world she had longed to be in as a child and therefore would have spoiled him. I should have checked as well, he thought regretfully.

"I would like to know. You are not the first student who has had these issues." Snape told him. "It's important to talk about it Mr. Potter."

Harry leaned back in his seat and sighed. "I really don't see how it would help. They hate me and made sure I knew it. That's all."

"That's all? They starved you and hurt for years. They caused cuts and burns and bruises. They caused internal bleeding. It also says here you had a broken arm when you were seven years old." Snape held up the parchment.

"Kids fall and break bones all the time." Harry said, his voice rising a bit.

Snape narrowed his dark eyes at him. He expected the defensive attitude. It was hard to control how he usually spoke to Potter however. It was a habit for him to snap at him. "Tell me about it." He said, working to keep his voice calm.

Harry stood up. "I don't want to talk about this."

"Tell me about the broken arm, the truth, and I won't ask anything else about it for the rest of the weekend." Snape bargained.

Harry sat down slowly, remembering what Daphne had said about trusting Snape. He would try but it was hard to imagine Snape being someone he could trust. Trusting any adults was a rare thing for him. "I was running away from my cousin and his gang and I ended up on the school roof. The teachers thought I climbed up there but the truth was I didn't know how I ended up there. My Aunt and Uncle knew and were furious. My Uncle-"He closed his eyes as the memories swam in his mind.

"Go on." Snape said softly.

"He yelled, called me a freak. He slapped me and I started crying." Harry's face turned red with embarrassment. "He got mad that I was crying and he grabbed my arm, shaking me and then threw me against the wall. Hard. There was a loud snap and my arm was really hurting. He then threw me into my cupboard and locked me in." Harry's eyes were slightly glazed as he was lost in the memory.

Snape longed to have two minutes alone with Mr. Dursley. Actually, one minute would be plenty. "Your cupboard?" He asked softly.

Harry nodded, still lost in thought. "Yeah, it was my room until-"Harry frowned. "Wait, you said all I had to tell you about was my arm."

"Oh, that's right I did." Snape said smoothly. "Thank you for your honesty Mr. Potter. Before you go there is one thing I would like to make sure you understand."

Harry had already stood up, anxious to leave. "What is that Professor?"

"Your relatives were wrong in how they treated you. You didn't deserve it. No child deserves it." Snape looked at him piercingly. "They are despicable for hurting you the way they did."

Harry simply stared at him.

Snape turned his attention to the papers on his desk. "You may go now Mr. Potter." He still didn't feel it was time to tell Potter about his change of guardian. Besides, he still had to get the Dursley's to sign the right papers. He was personally looking forward to that visit.

Harry hurried to the door but then stopped short and turned around. "Thank you sir." He disappeared out the door.

Snape stared at the shut door for a moment. It was not much but it was a start.
To be continued...
End Notes:
How will Harry and his year mates interact? Will they become friends? Enemies? Will they ignore each other? What about Harry and Severus now that they've spoken about Harry's abuse? What did Harry mean in his comment regarding Dumbledore? Where are Ron and Hermione during all of this? Seriously, can anyone tell me?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3369