Heal by TinkerTailor
Summary: After a horrible incident in the potions lab, Snape must look after Harry.
As much as they both hate each other, they learn that pushing away grudges can show their true selves.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: None
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 13745 Read: 23293 Published: 27 Jan 2017 Updated: 17 Jul 2017
Chapter 6 by TinkerTailor
Author's Notes:
I'm nearing the end of semester 1 in my tafe, so I'm having more days off. Sorry for taking so long.
Was Snape peeved off? Yes he was, how dare that boy storm away from him, he demanded answers, if the boy held back then he would hurt himself mentally. Snape trudged up the stairs, contemplating his next move with the boy, yell at him? No, don’t do that, how about try and reason with him? Yeah, try that. Snape found the boy in the bedroom, sulking.
“Oh, that very mature of you”.
Snape said, catching the boy off guard, “go away!” But Snape didn’t move, “now that’s no way to talk to your elders”.
“So you’re saying you’re old?”
Snape’s world was spinning, it was hard to keep up with this boy, first, he’s angry, then he’s upset and now he’s happy. Snape rubbed his temples and sighed, “yes, I guess I am admitting to the fact that I’m old, now get over it”. The boy leaned back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, “is there something you wanted?” He asked Snape, who was still standing at the door. Snape didn’t know how to approach the boy, he’s started off softly.
“Harry”.
The boy seemed to flinch at the use of his name, “why won’t you tell me more about your home life?”
“Because it’s none of your business”.
“But you want help, don’t you?”
“Well... Yeah, I do –“.
“Then why are you withholding information? I know you don’t like me invading your mind, but it’s because you’re not helping me the right way”.
Harry opened his mouth o snap back, but thought otherwise, what Snape was saying was completely right, he wasn’t helping at all. He wasn’t going to get anywhere, but it wasn’t easy, he didn’t know what would happen to the Dursleys if they were found out.
“I’ll be downstairs when you want to talk okay”.
With that, Snape had turned and made his way down the stairs. He had only reached halfway when Harry came barging out, “Snape!” He called, startling the professor who swung around, but lost his footing, even worse, Harry had tripped over on the top step and had plummeted towards the older wizard. It happened in slow motion as pupil smashed into the teacher. Both flying down the stairs in one motion. Landing at the bottom with a tremendous thud. Both lay on the dusty wooden floor, Harry was sprawled across Snape’s stomach whilst Snape was on his back.
“Well... That went well”.
He heard Harry say and Snape tried to get up, but the boy was still lying on him, “get off me”. Harry had crawled off, and Snape quickly got up, talk about humiliation, Snape could feel his face heat up.
“Now what were you going to say?”
The boy raised his eyebrows at him, Snape assumed that Harry was surprised that he didn’t go off his head the fact that Harry wasn’t watching where he as going, but then again, he saved Snape greater humiliation because he had tripped over as well. A good cover up.
“Could we talk about it over dinner?”
Harry could see a slight smile on the man's face, “of course, whenever you feel like it”, Snape replied before rubbing the back of his head, “sorry about the fall”, Harry quickly said but the man waved him off, “it’s fine, we’re all clumsy”. Snape knew he was starting to be soft with the kid.
“Didn’t think you’d wear anything else but that black robe and suit”.
Snape looked down at the dark jeans and top that he was wearing, though they were close to being black, they were still casual.
“Well, I’m not too boring as you always are... Potter”.
That cracked a smile from the boy, at least they were on the road to recovery, but Snape had to be careful with his hopes.


The man that had come over was a friend whom he lost contact with, it was nice to find someone like him. But the thing was, if Snape had a few friends, he would’ve have invited this man. His name was Voran, he was in the same house as Snape back when they were younger.
“It’s nice seeing you again, been up to much?”
Voran asked as he sat down on the couch in the living room, that’s when Harry came in. Vorans smile widened.
“And this must be your son, by god”.
He quickly got up to shake Harry’s hand, the boy threw a worried glance towards Snape who had entered the room, “Ah, he’s not my son, I’m just looking after him”.
“Oh... So like babysitting?”
“Yeah kind of like that”.
Snape could see Harry throwing him a dirty look, “want something to drink?” He asked Voran who nodded, “Yeah, my throats parched, thanks, chap... Mind telling me about yourself? Maybe your name?”
Vorans attention was on Harry, who snapped out of his stupor, “Oh, I’m Harry”, Voran smiled at him, “I’m Voran, an old friend of Snapes”. Harry was surprised that the potions teacher even had friends. A few minutes had run by and Harry began feeling awkward just standing there, “you want a drink or something, beer or a hot drink?” Harry heard himself ask and wondered why the hell he would ask such a thing. Voran thought for a moment before answering with a smile, “coffee will do”. After Voran had settled in, Snape had followed Harry into the kitchen, he too was going to make a drink himself.
“He seems nice”.
Harry said quietly to Snape, who threw him a confused looked, “yeah? What, did you think he was gonna be horrid?” He threw back at the boy who shrugged, “Yeah, that’s what I thought, I thought he’d be like you”.
“Thanks”.
“No problem dad”.
Both froze, the only thing making noise was the kettle going off, “sorry I didn’t quite catch that”, Snape said quietly, but Harry shook his head, “it’s nothing of any great importance”.
“Oh I think it is, did you just call me dad?”
“Maybe I did, so what, it was a slip of the tongue”.
To be honest, Snape didn’t mind at all, at first he’d go against it, but the boy didn’t have his parents, so it’s would’ve been a comforting word for him. Though Snape did feel that he was taking the position way from James. But all Snape did was smile, yes he smiled, the boy didn’t see because he was staring straight at the kettle, trying his best to ignore the teacher at all cost.
“You know, if you feel like calling me dad, then feel free, I won’t stop you”.
Snape then left, leaving the boy rather shocked.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3378